Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Horrible cold - need help FAST

I'm coming down with a bad cold - my nose is running, my head is throbbing and my throat is on fire. I need to banish it PRONTO. I have a date tomorrow for brunch - my first date since a bad breakup. I do not want to cancel, because I had to cancel once prior due to an unexpected work trip. I need to feel better. At the very least, I need not to look like Drippy the Clown. How can I kick this thing into submission? F!CK.

by Sneezyreply 4102/24/2013

Drink a lot of Green Tea.That will boost the immune system demonstrably. Try Zicam which is a combo of Zinc,Echinacea and Vitamin C. You can find them at any drugstore. Take Vitamin C supplements as well.

by Sneezyreply 102/11/2012

Cold-ez or Zinc works wonders.

by Sneezyreply 202/11/2012

Drink as much Gypsy Cold Care Tea as you can, then go to bed, wearing the warmest pajamas you have, and sweat it out.

by Sneezyreply 302/11/2012

[RE 1] has it right. When I feel a cold coming, I take tons of Vit. C, Zinc, and Echinacea . And, if you can bear it, eat a whole garlic clove (in a soup, or salad ). Within 24 hours. you will have knocked it out.

by Sneezyreply 402/11/2012

The zinc/vitamin C/echinachea combo works - I got lozenges at my health food store for 5 bucks. Also get Extra Strength Afrin and pop it up your nose a couple of times a day. Chicken soup with srirachia, and sleep.

by Sneezyreply 502/11/2012

by Sneezyreply 602/12/2012

Garlic, chop it up (raw) and spread it on EVERYTHING you eat.

You'll smell, but you'll feel better.

by Sneezyreply 702/12/2012

You've gotten good advice already (I always use Zicam) but you are not going to be over it by brunch tomorrow. Ask yourself whether your date would prefer that you put it off a second time, or infect him with your nasty cold.

by Sneezyreply 802/12/2012

1 X 500mg every hour for 2 days.

by Sneezyreply 902/12/2012

I use Airborne because my system can't handle Zicam. Airborne works for me.

Also, the most important thing you can do is SLEEP. Take a hot bath and get your muscles to relax; good rest is best for a cold.

Feel better soon, and don't be afraid to call your date and postpone it. (It would not make a good impression to go on a date when you're sick.)

by Sneezyreply 1002/12/2012

Take a handful of Xanax, a fifth of vodka to wash it down with and then get in a tub of hot water

by Sneezyreply 1102/12/2012

Aside from Alka Selzer Plus, which I use, and maybe some vodka, I find this works great:

Also prednisone, as that shuts down everything, but ask your doc about that.

by Sneezyreply 1202/12/2012

prednisone for a cold? You need to get a new doctor.

Don't push it OP. Eat a lot of garlic and drink a lot of liquids and get a lot of rest. Then all you can do is wait it out.

by Sneezyreply 1302/12/2012

Chicken Pho if you can find it or make a nice garlicky chicken soup with fresh lime juice. Lots of hot tea with honey and lemon juice. Lots of rest too.

by Sneezyreply 1402/12/2012

OP, what happened? Did you go?

by Sneezyreply 1502/12/2012

one vocodin or codeine pill. literally will knock the cold out! opiates are an anti histamine

by Sneezyreply 1602/12/2012

by Sneezyreply 1702/12/2012

Warm-hot washcloth compress on your sinuses; head over steaming pan of water; gargle with warm salt water

by Sneezyreply 1802/12/2012

I make a big bowl of tzaziki (Green yogurt, cucumbers and garlic) and eat as much as I can stand to knock out sinus infections within a day or two, so as the previous posters suggested it would probably work great for colds too.

by Sneezyreply 1902/12/2012

How's this scenario? You temper your symptoms so that it's hardly noticeable you've got a cold. The two of you hit it off. In a couple of days, both of you are suffering this gawdawful cold.

Why not postpone the date? If he's got any sense, he'd appreciate not being subjected to your germs. Wait until you're operating on all gears.

by Sneezyreply 2002/12/2012

Jesus, some of you people are nuts. Two words: NyQuil tonight and DayQuil tomorrow.

by Sneezyreply 2102/12/2012

Postpone the date, OP. I guarantee you won't be symptom-free. The most considerate thing to do is cll him up now so he can hear how you sound. Apologize and reschedule later. He would appreciate you more for not giving him the cold.....because you will.

by Sneezyreply 2202/12/2012

I took Afrin a couple of hours ago and it's made me anxious and agitated. Can someone start a thread asking if anyone has had this experience? I'd like to know how long it might last.

by Sneezyreply 2302/23/2013

It's like an anxiety attack.

by Sneezyreply 2402/24/2013

Be careful, OP. There have been reports and law suites alleging that Zicam destroys people's sense of smell permanently.

by Sneezyreply 2502/24/2013

Why is garlic considered a cold remedy/preventive? I've read that it has natural antibiotic properties, but the common cold is caused by a virus & antibiotics are ineffective against those.

by Sneezyreply 2602/24/2013

It's a cold for Christ's sake, get some cold medicine from a pharmacy. Don't you keep cold medicine at home? If you are low-functioning, look at cold medicine cartons for the words "runny nose." If you are higher functioning, get some pseudoephedrine hydrochloride (the original Sudafed) from behind the counter at the drugstore. If you have aches and a fever, buy some ibuprofen or acetaminophen (tylenol).

Stop with the Zicam. It's a placebo which could cause you to permanently lose your sense of smell. It does nothing for cold symptoms. A cold is a virus. The only treatment is to treat the symptoms. There's nothing you can buy to cure a cold. It will run its course.

Seriously people, why don't you keep cold medicine in your home? You can always tell a pharmacist your symptoms and they can recommend what OTC medicine to take and keep in your home.

by Sneezyreply 2702/24/2013

[quote] took Afrin a couple of hours ago and it's made me anxious and agitated

NEVER take afrin. It's crap. It serves no purpose except to addict people.

Make your life easy. Buy cold medicine. It's for colds. You have a cold. Simple.

I've been a tea drinker all my life. There is nothing magical about tea. It does not cure or prevent viruses. Green tea is the peach pit and coffee ground enema of the moment. Vitamin C can give you a nasty stomach ache and does nothing to help a cold.

BTW -- do you really think all of these homeopathic remedies are effective but are found to be ineffective because pharmaceutical companies "can't make money off of them"? Trust me, pharmaceutical companies sell Vitamin C, zinc and echinacea. They don't care that none of it works. There's money to be made. They are just as willing to make money from products that don't work as they are from products that do work. They're thrilled that you buy this stuff.

by Sneezyreply 2802/24/2013

I won't be taking Afrin ever again, R28. Not after my experience tonight. I won't take Sudafed either because the same thing happens. What cold medicine would you recommend?

by Sneezyreply 2902/24/2013

R29, Afrin and Sudafed are both decongestants. Some people are very sensitive to them. You must be one of these people. You shouldn't take anything with a Decongestant in it.

Usually most combination cold products that say Non-Drowsy or Day Time Formula contain decongestants (except for non-sedating antihistamines like Claritin, Zyrtec, Claritin etc). When ever you see Non Drowsy or Day Time Formula, you need to double check the ingredients or ask the pharmacist if they contain any decongestants

by Sneezyreply 3002/24/2013

I think you're right, R30. I know I don't have this reaction to Benadryl. I suppose I could use this as a "decongestant"?

by Sneezyreply 3102/24/2013

You have a virus. Your body has to produce antibodies to fight it off. Producing them can take up to a week before the body destroys the virus. That's how it goes. All the lotions and potions are useless.

by Sneezyreply 3202/24/2013

R18 is almost right. Here's my Dr's advice for that throbbing sinus headache: alternate hot and cold compresses thrice. Always start hot and end cold. 3 minutes each cycle. Will relieve the pressure in your head and make your nose flooooow. You will feel better and it'll all come out quickly.

Bowl of boiling water with 2 washcloths. Bowl of cold water with one washcloth. Put the hot cloth on your forehead for three minutes (rotate to second cloth when first cools). Then move to cold cloth for three minutes. Repeat twice.

by Sneezyreply 3302/24/2013

Ignore the "stop with zicam" comment-- the combination of the two different types of zinc has been proven to reduce the severity of a cold-- I use it at the first sign of a cold and it oftentimes goes away completely without going full blown-- avoid the nasal spray as there are lawsuits about people losing their sense of smell-though nothing has been proven. Use the lozenges. MARY!

by Sneezyreply 3402/24/2013

I have a friend who sees a naturopath and an acupuncurist. Both recommend Vicks Vapor rub on the soles of your feet before going to bed to help with cough and congestion. I tried it out of desperation and my nose stayed clear enough to breth through overnight and I didn't cough once. Now that I've been up for a while, I've coughed a few times and my sinuses are stuffing up. I'll try it again and see if I get the same relief I seemed to get last night.

by Sneezyreply 3502/24/2013

Raw Garlic

Chop it up and put in your chicken soup or sandwich.

You;ll smell like garlic, but you will get better fast

by Sneezyreply 3602/24/2013

You got to go all by yourself, to the middle of the woods, where you know there's a spunk-water stump, and just as it's midnight you back up against the stump and jam your hand in and say:

'Barley-corn, barley-corn, injun-meal shorts, Spunk-water, spunk-water, cure this here catarrh'

and then walk away quick, eleven steps, with your eyes shut, and then turn around three times and walk home without speaking to anybody. Because if you speak the charm's busted. . .

by Sneezyreply 3702/24/2013

You take and split a bean, and cut your finger so as to get some blood, and then you put the blood on one piece of the bean and take and dig a hole and bury it about midnight at the crossroads in the dark of the moon, and when you're burying you say 'Down bean; out catarrh; come to bother me no more!' it's better. That's the way Joe Harper does, and he's been nearly to Coonville and most everywheres. Then you burn up the rest of the bean.

You see, that piece of bean that's got the blood on it will keep drawing and drawing, trying to fetch the other piece to it, and so that helps the blood to draw the sickness out, and pretty soon you're right as rain..

by Sneezyreply 3802/24/2013

Phone him up. Be honest and sincere and secure a make good date. He doesn't want your cold.

by Sneezyreply 3902/24/2013

Yeah, I'm now sold on the Vicks to the feet thing. Put it on after a bath and it's even more fast acting.

by Sneezyreply 4002/24/2013

This is the worst kind of pre lubing.

by Sneezyreply 4102/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!