Since 1995

Ryan Phillippe finally surrenders movie career, agrees to do CBS pilot

Took freakin' long enough.

by Anonymousreply 10702/15/2014

I think the link needs to be fixed.

by Anonymousreply 102/10/2012

what is this snobbery about television?

by Anonymousreply 202/10/2012

He did One Life to Live and didn't "surrender" anything. OP, you're stupid.

by Anonymousreply 302/10/2012

by Anonymousreply 402/10/2012

R2, I think people are referring to the fact that usually once a movie star gets to the point where they are doing a regular t.v. series, it usually means their drawing power as a big screen star is over.

by Anonymousreply 502/10/2012

He would have been my choice for taking over from Michael Pitt on Boardwalk Empire.

by Anonymousreply 602/10/2012

[quote]He did One Life to Live and didn't "surrender" anything. OP, you're stupid.

He did "One Life to Live" fresh out of high school, before he'd acted in films. R3, you're stupider.

by Anonymousreply 702/10/2012

I'm not sure I see the problem here...

by Anonymousreply 802/10/2012

R5 if James Franco can do General Hospital, why can't Ryan P do a series?

by Anonymousreply 902/10/2012

[quote]He did "One Life to Live" fresh out of high school, before he'd acted in films

I'm quite aware of that and it is irrelevant. You're as stupid as OP.

by Anonymousreply 1002/10/2012

Franco was on GH as a postmodernist statement relevant to his several doctorates in art. Other than that, the only bona fide excuse film stars have to return to daytime is if the show is imminently going off the air forever.

by Anonymousreply 1102/10/2012

R9, James Franco is a much bigger star than Ryan Phillippe and has more control over his own career destiny. He's also an Oscar nominee.

by Anonymousreply 1202/10/2012

[quote]Franco was on GH as a postmodernist statement relevant to his several doctorates in art.

James Franco does not have a single doctorate in art.

He is pursuing a doctorate in English, and an MFA (not a doctorate) in creative writing.

by Anonymousreply 1302/10/2012

The hot asses are falling like dominos!

by Anonymousreply 1402/10/2012

Ryan Phillippe should be put in tight clothes and underwear to show off his ass.

by Anonymousreply 1502/10/2012

work is work

by Anonymousreply 1602/10/2012

Ryan needs to show his cock. He never has and now is the time.

by Anonymousreply 1702/10/2012

Hey guys. Remember me? You used to adore me.

Anyday now there will be exciting news about my new basic cable show. Stay tuned.

by Anonymousreply 1802/10/2012

[quote]He is pursuing a doctorate in English, and an MFA (not a doctorate) in creative writing.

Sorry, Miss Stick-Up-Her-Ass; I meant to say "doctorates in the arts." Also, you forgot to mention that he'll be attending the University of Houston this fall for a Ph.D in literature.

by Anonymousreply 1902/10/2012

It wasn't going to happen for him. He's not charismatic enough for lead roles and his good looks work against him in character parts. If this pilot takes off and does well, it's the best he can ask for.

by Anonymousreply 2002/10/2012

George Clooney gave up his movie career in his 30's to do ER. I wonder what ever happened to him.

by Anonymousreply 2102/10/2012

BTW R12 Kate Hudson was an Oscar nominee. There are a ton of Oscar nominees who would sell their mother to get a series. Especially these days with how few big movies are made and the casting pool remains small and safe.

by Anonymousreply 2202/10/2012

TV is Jake G's future.

by Anonymousreply 2302/10/2012

I'm surprised that Meryl doesn't have better things to do than start a troll baiting thread on DL on a Friday night.

by Anonymousreply 2402/10/2012

A lot of folks do TV today. TV is probably a stronger medium than film these days.

by Anonymousreply 2502/11/2012

Huh, r21?? Clooney was always a TV actor before doing ER.

by Anonymousreply 2602/11/2012

Television! How quaint.

by Anonymousreply 2702/11/2012

Ryan is already doing a series DAMAGES saw him filming a two person scene in Queens last October around Holoween. It was his first scene on the show and he smoked non stop.

Glenn Close and Rose Byrne were nowhere to be seen but they are movie stars, no? At least Glenn is

by Anonymousreply 2802/11/2012

I don't think TV is Jakes future . I do however think that he's not really interested in his career anymore

by Anonymousreply 2902/11/2012

At least Ryan has a job and he wasn't so high up the food chain that this seems like a surrender more like just another job. On the other hand, Reese has totally jumped the shark. Look at her posing for the paparazzi like a C lister.

by Anonymousreply 3002/11/2012

direct link

by Anonymousreply 3102/11/2012

Great, now I get to hear his fake low voice once a week on CBS.

by Anonymousreply 3202/11/2012

how large is Ryan's cock?

After all, that's all that matters.

by Anonymousreply 3302/11/2012

The problem with casting like this is that TV producers think that B-List movie stars who weren't charismatic on the big screen will suddenly be charismatic on the small screen. Unfortunately, it really doesn't work that way.

by Anonymousreply 3402/11/2012

Will he be a hot Coroner, or a hot Detective?

by Anonymousreply 3502/11/2012

[quote]Unfortunately, it really doesn't work that way.

...and yet "NCIS: LA" is nevertheless the #2-rated scripted show on television, consistently.

by Anonymousreply 3602/11/2012

"how large is Ryan's cock?

After all, that's all that matters"

With respect to Ryan, what really matters to me is his ass.

by Anonymousreply 3702/11/2012

Ryan didn't say exactly how big it is, but when he talked to Howard Stern on his show last year, he said he has a respectable-sized cock.

by Anonymousreply 3802/11/2012

How embarrassing for Reese, R30. She really is desperate.

by Anonymousreply 3902/11/2012

If I can appear in Smash, then little, unemployed Ryan can work on TV too.

by Anonymousreply 4002/11/2012

R39, seriously? It's "embarrassing" and "desperate" to be snapped in broad daylight at a Brentwood newspaper stand? I think you need to get your priorities in shape, cupcake. "Embarrassing" is sneaking into a party you're not invited to at the Chateau with cakey coke boogers up your nose (hi, Lindsay!).

by Anonymousreply 4102/11/2012

No matter how low you claim Reese is stooping, Ryan is always in a worse situation than her.

by Anonymousreply 4202/11/2012

But he will always be better-looking than her, R42

by Anonymousreply 4302/11/2012

Ryan's naked ass:

by Anonymousreply 4402/11/2012

Yes, Ryan is aging well and seems happy.

Reese is not aging well and comes across as kind of mean and miserable (behind that creepy, fake smile).

And yes, while she's not at Lindsay Lohan levels of embarrassing, she's an Oscar winning, A list actress, who can't open a movie and has taken to posing in front of a magazine stand for publicity.

by Anonymousreply 4502/11/2012

Bigger better shot of his bigger better ass:

by Anonymousreply 4602/11/2012

Ryan is where he belongs. He's a TV star, not a movie star. He also pings.

by Anonymousreply 4702/11/2012

[quote]Reese is not aging well and comes across as kind of mean and miserable (behind that creepy, fake smile).

Bitch, *please*. She looks extremely good for her age (35), and obviously you don't know the woman and are in no place to deem her "mean and miserable."

[quick]And yes, while she's not at Lindsay Lohan levels of embarrassing, she's an Oscar winning, A list actress, who can't open a movie and has taken to posing in front of a magazine stand for publicity.

Bitch, [bold]PLEASE[/bold]! A paparazzo asked her to smile for a quick shot at the neighborhood newsstand. That is IT. Her publicist did not call ahead on her behalf to stage the thing (as if a simple shot of her buying magazines would be worth anything cash-wise to the paparazzi - this isn't Jay-Z and Beyonce's first baby shot we're talking here). As for opening movies, she's opened multiple romantic comedies just fine. Get back to me if "This Means War" somehow flops, and accept the fact that the only thing "creepy" here is your bizarre loathing for a woman you don't even know who hasn't done anything wrong aside from being a successful actress. Or do you hate her because you're still obsessed with the idea that Jake Gyllenhaal is gay?

by Anonymousreply 4802/11/2012

R47, Ryan doesn't ping actually

by Anonymousreply 4902/11/2012

I guess Reese Witherspoon has found DL.

by Anonymousreply 5002/11/2012

So much competition out there. Look at Josh Lucas,who showed such promise in The Deep End and A Beautiful Mind. But those films were over a decade ago and steady tv work came calling. But The Firm is tanking and it looks like he'll be back auditioning again.I hope he finds something that sticks...

BTW,WHET to the kid from 'Deep End',Jonathan Tucker?

Anyway,Ryan is quickly approaching middle age and I think this is a good move for him. he can do a series for five years,hit syndication paydirt and then can do character parts in movies when the lines on his face can give him gravitas-like Clooney.

by Anonymousreply 5102/11/2012

He absolutely does ping. I was 15 when I saw I know what you did last summer, and I thought he was gay then. If he makes a 15 year old ping. He's gay. Is it his fake low voice that makes you think he doesn't ping?

by Anonymousreply 5202/11/2012

Don't get me wrong, I love his fake low voice. Horrible actor though. But, I am a fan of his fake low voice

by Anonymousreply 5302/11/2012

R52, there's no evidence he is gay. He has a long history with women and none with men that I can see.

How many gay men get a woman pregnant and get married to her, then cheat on her with another woman and get divorced?

by Anonymousreply 5402/11/2012

Well, apparently to you, R54, he's not one of those. So, there is no sense in debating with you about it because you have your mind made up.

by Anonymousreply 5502/11/2012

[quote]He absolutely does ping. I was 15 when I saw I know what you did last summer, and I thought he was gay then.

No, you merely *wanted* him to ping. He wouldn't have "pinged" for you if he'd been fat and homely. Don't worry, though: many, many, many DLers continually make this mistake, confusing their own lust for an attractive male actor with the self-delusion that "he pings" (a key reason why literally every attractive actor & celebrity in Hollywood has, at some point in this site's history, been declared gay here because "they pinged").

by Anonymousreply 5602/11/2012

I'm open to hearing any evidence that Ryan is gay, like I am with any other celeb. I just don't see it. What guys has he been connected to? How do you explain his 2 children with Reese WItherspoon or all the women he seems to bang and his love of talking about pussy on Howard Stern?

by Anonymousreply 5702/11/2012

The link.

by Anonymousreply 5802/11/2012

Oh, I see R56. That explains everything.

by Anonymousreply 5902/11/2012

R59, you still haven't explained WHY you think Ryan is gay.

by Anonymousreply 6002/11/2012

Wait, attractive? To who? Me? Oh, no. The fake low voice and his attempt to conceal his effeminacy makes him drop in points with me. Sorry, R56.

by Anonymousreply 6102/11/2012

He's two years shy of 40. When did that happen?

by Anonymousreply 6202/11/2012

[quote]centers on Clark (Phillippe), a cop, and chronicles his meteoric rise from officer to detective and ultimately police commissioner.

I'm not really seeing Ryan as a police commissioner.

by Anonymousreply 6302/11/2012

R57, is right. You can't get anymore right about why he's NOT gay.

by Anonymousreply 6402/11/2012

How do you know his low voice is fake? Are you a voice coach?

by Anonymousreply 6502/11/2012

You win R60. He's not of those. Let it go.

by Anonymousreply 6602/11/2012

What'd he get, a CSI franchise?

by Anonymousreply 6702/11/2012

Someone's gaydar here is faulty and in denial.

by Anonymousreply 6802/11/2012

*One of those.

by Anonymousreply 6902/11/2012

He may have the classic quintessential twink look (which has been exploited a lot with characters that had gay angles), which might lead one to think he's gay but sadly doesn't ping. Not fair. :(

On the other hand, per R39 Josh Lucas is one who pings off the charts and beyond. I don't think he should be cast as straight characters cause he is distracting - once again when I saw the execrable J. Edgar he stood out and took me even more out of the film, granted his character had a seedy undertone but still. His looks have also hit the wall as well, ageing rapidly to meth face levels.

by Anonymousreply 7002/11/2012

Actually R42, the balance of power shifts for them at this point. As an ageing male he could work steadily and become his generation's Rob Lowe and work steadily for the next 15 - 20 years. She's barely Jennifer Aniston NOW.

by Anonymousreply 7102/11/2012

You're right,R68. I know thinking somebody is gay makes people's heads explode with anger and hate, and this guy certainly evokes that. This douche has his rapid fangurls. He is NOT one of those disgusting homosexuals. He is pure, straight, hot, bangs a lot of women, and talks about pussy on Howard. I apologize for my faulty gaydar.

by Anonymousreply 7202/11/2012

Reese Witherspoon is so desperate for publicity she's posting at R48.

by Anonymousreply 7302/11/2012

[quote]On the other hand, per R39 Josh Lucas is one who pings off the charts and beyond.

Agreed, and to his credit he doesn't even bother trying to beard. Forty years old, never married and never involved in a serious relationship with a woman...

by Anonymousreply 7402/11/2012

[quote]Reese Witherspoon is so desperate for publicity she's posting at R48.

Possibly the stupidest insult on DL, and one used far too often. You can't handle the truth, so you resort to dismissing someone who disagrees with you as a celebrity publicist/shill or fangurl, or better yet accuse them of being a celebrity in disguise (as if Reese or any other major celebrity has ever heard of DataLounge - give up on your delusions of grandeur, hon).

by Anonymousreply 7502/11/2012

Actually, Josh Lucas dated Rachel McAdams for a time...

by Anonymousreply 7602/11/2012

Gawd, get a load of the Wrath of Kahn at R75.

by Anonymousreply 7702/11/2012

R66, you're still acting like an idiot. Could you please provide a REASON why you think Ryan Phillippe is gay?

by Anonymousreply 7802/11/2012

Whitney Houston just died

by Anonymousreply 7902/11/2012

what does that have to do with Ryan, R79?

by Anonymousreply 8002/11/2012

He likes black girls R80.

RIP Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 8102/11/2012

Just a shocked response r80 that emerged instead of saying that Ryan is considered gay because of wishful thinking on the part of many here.

This is not to say he isn't gay, just not for the reasons and fantasies on DL.

by Anonymousreply 8202/11/2012

Well, that's true. Ryan has said on Howard Stern that he's had sex with black women.

by Anonymousreply 8302/11/2012

Trolldar R83.

by Anonymousreply 8402/14/2012

Wow reallY How amazing!! What I find funny is that the fangirls always mention this on his thread like it gives him some sort of street cred. Yeah, that's why he married a white woman and knocked up some white chick and is only seen in public with white girls. Is he embarrassed to be seen in public dating one?

I bet it's all BS anyway.

BTW, there were rumors that he was gay for pay when he started out, you know took it up the ass for a movie.

by Anonymousreply 8502/14/2012

This is the strangest thread I've ever read here.

by Anonymousreply 8602/14/2012

[quote]gay for pay

Doesn't exist and homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 8702/14/2012

How is gay for pay homophobic fangirl and it doesn't exist? LOL!! You must live in your mommy's basement if you never heard of the gay casting couch.

He was the subject of a BI back in the day when Movieline was a fun magazine. Also he was listed under the missed A-list.

When he started on One Life to live the headwriter fucked Ryan among other young actors, Think the writer's name was Michael Malone.

All this shit about Ryan being a pussy hound and fucking black chicks is just Ryan's PR and silly fangirls, he is at least bi.

by Anonymousreply 8802/14/2012

Oh, so it takes $$$ for a person to become gay.

We always suspected gay was a choice. Now, we can vote away gay rights once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 8902/14/2012

Damn, he's fine.

by Anonymousreply 9002/14/2012

He just dropped out of the pilot.

by Anonymousreply 9102/22/2012

EXCLUSIVE: Less than two weeks after Ryan Phillippe committed to his first regular series gig, a starring role in CBS’ untitled Nick Wootton-Greg Berlanti drama pilot (formerly Golden Boy), he has departed the project. I hear the parting of the ways was amicable and happened after Phillippe expressed doubts that he was ready to commit to the rigors of a network drama series. His decision was in part influenced by his first primetime series experience — he is currently filming a major arc on the final season of FX’s Damages, which has given him hands-on TV series production experience.

by Anonymousreply 9202/22/2012

So, essentially he's too lazy.

by Anonymousreply 9302/22/2012

Yep, too lazy.

Phillipe is one of those male actors DL would absolutely loathe if he were female.

by Anonymousreply 9402/22/2012

He's smart. The production schedule would have killed him. He should hold out for a sitcom. MUCH easier schedule. Or an ensemble show.

by Anonymousreply 9502/22/2012

Unless he was going to show his ass, there was really no point.

by Anonymousreply 9602/22/2012

God forbid he would have to work for SIX STRAIGHT MONTHS!

by Anonymousreply 9702/22/2012

I hope he's been smart with the money he got from Reese because his movie career is going nowhere and now he's shown himself to be too lazy for TV.

I don't think I can ever remember an actor backing out a project and essentially saying it was because it would be too much hard work. Usually it's creative differences, blah blah blah.

by Anonymousreply 9802/22/2012

I believe him. He'd be working 14 hours a day on a TV series in outdoor locations in NY. He'd work 8 or 9 out of 9 shooting days for each episode. He'd be playing a cop so he'll often be in crappy neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens in extreme heat and extreme cold. A lot of you bozos don't realize what the job would entail. A great paycheck, yeah, but there are negatives, too.

by Anonymousreply 9902/22/2012

Television actors work MUCH harder than film actors.

by Anonymousreply 10002/22/2012

It was a smart mve, the pilot sounds like another crappy NY cop show.

by Anonymousreply 10102/23/2012

Bump. What happened to this guy's career? Can it be revived, like this thread?

by Anonymousreply 10206/26/2013

He was in a Perry Mason TV movie early in his career.

by Anonymousreply 10306/26/2013

If he is going to work in television he shouldn't work for a regular network. He should do a cable channel (FX, AMC) or a premium cable channel (Showtime, HBO, etc)

by Anonymousreply 10406/26/2013

Who did he have to blow to get this job?

by Anonymousreply 10506/26/2013

He's still doing films as well and has no intention of stepping away (although he once considered it). There are many working TV actors also making a good number of films per year. He has a new one coming out shortly, in fact. This headline is nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 10602/15/2014

R28 Damages was probably the best show in a long time. Well written, the cast was perfect and the leading lady (forgot who) was superb.

by Anonymousreply 10702/15/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!