Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Reese Witherspoon A Phony Or What?

[quote]On her feelings towards plastic surgery: "I'm not for it. I'm not against it. I have plenty of friends who do stuff and if it makes you feel good, great. But I don't think it's the fix for some sort of unease that you're having about who you are as a human being. I don't think I need plastic surgery at this point. Can we just go day-by-day on that one?"

[quote]On her underwear scene in 'This Means War': "I don't worry about it. I have the body I earned. I had two kids and I'm still strong and healthy. And you start to have a different respect for your body the older you get. Instead of tearing yourself apart all the time, you start to go 'Oh wow!'"

[quote]On being frugal: "I have this fixation about this black leather The Row purse, but it's so prohibitively expensive, I will not allow myself to buy it. I literally go to the store to visit it. Too much money - it feels decadent. I can't wrap my brain around it. If I bought it, I'd only feel upset about it and take it back."

by Anonymousreply 11404/04/2015

She's never bothered me as much as she does many DL'ers. I loved her in Freeway. Played a white trash crazy teen to perfection. Legally blonde was harmless fun fluff. She seems like a decent mother.

by Anonymousreply 102/06/2012

She sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders to me.

by Anonymousreply 202/06/2012

phony? Sounds pretty earnest, measured, balanced and genuine to me. Refreshingly so for a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 302/06/2012

I think a lot of the vitriol directed at her arises from her being with Ryan Phillippe. Many DLers seem to love him.

by Anonymousreply 402/06/2012

So the vitriol is misplaced jealousy? DL can be so strange at times.

by Anonymousreply 502/06/2012

If you want to see "phony," look to George Clooney.

by Anonymousreply 602/06/2012

I don't care for her at all, but it's difficult to find much fault or to find offence or to find anything suspect in those statements.

by Anonymousreply 702/06/2012

BIG phony . Comes from a very wealthy old money Nashville family (father was a Dr.) where she did the whole cotillion / debutante bit. Family had connections to Hollywood. She's a big Priss. More like the manipulating 'Tracey' in "Election" , than the "Legally Blonde" character. Bitch on wheels. Ask Vince Vaughn.

by Anonymousreply 802/06/2012

Someone's jealous of alpha-females.

by Anonymousreply 902/06/2012

Yes R1, she was hilarious in Freeway. "Look who got beat with the ugly stick!"

by Anonymousreply 1002/06/2012

Didn't she have a run-in with that douchebag, Kevin Smith?

by Anonymousreply 1102/06/2012

A phony is someone who misrepresents themselves. I dont see any proof of misrepresentation here. When she's acting in a movie she is ACTING. So if her real life personality differs from that of a character she plays and that upsets you, OP, thats on you, for being a chump.

by Anonymousreply 1202/06/2012

[RE 9] NO - I actually love Alpha femmes. She's not one . I like someone who presents an image of who they really are. - not one image in public, and another in private. People who have worked with her, and around her, closely, know she's no sweet little thing - the image she wants to project / protect.

by Anonymousreply 1302/06/2012

[quote] Bitch on wheels. Ask Vince Vaughn.

Could we have a more credible witness?

by Anonymousreply 1402/06/2012

I've never thought of Reese as a "sweet thing." I think you're mixing her up with her Elle Woods character. In interviews she's always come off as pretty strong and opinionated to me.

by Anonymousreply 1502/06/2012

No, fluffy. Starts twitching when anyone asks a deep question . She only wants to plug her films ( which lately are terrible), and can't respond in a genuine way. Always worrying about 'offending' someone / something. A true Alpha gets out there and let's it rip. Not afraid. Everyone knows she hated Vaughn, and when asked once about him, she just said "Oh Vince.....he's so funny ." No, you were discusted by him, thought he was crude, dirty, and unattractive. But Miss sweetness demured. That's no Alpha.

by Anonymousreply 1602/06/2012

She said "fuck" on Letterman.

by Anonymousreply 1702/06/2012

She's hollywood, people. She married an agent! The purse comment is a blatant attempt to appeal to the middle class fraus, since she has enough money to buy a rack full of them.

by Anonymousreply 1802/06/2012

Of course- that's what I mean by PHONY. They give her those purses. Liar.

by Anonymousreply 1902/06/2012

Just because she has money doesn't mean she doesn't still know the value of a dollar. I say YOU GO GURL!

by Anonymousreply 2002/06/2012

How soon will Row purses send her several? It was such a shameless name drop aimed at getting freebies. And she will.

by Anonymousreply 2102/06/2012

Not publicly insulting her costars is a bad thing? If she went public with the fact she couldn't stand Vaughn, she'd be hated for that too. I think she tries hard to be polite and play the game (she is business-minded, after all) but I don't think that's the same as pretending to be some demure "sweet thing."

She has a Type A personality which she fully admits to - and named her production company after it. She also says that she doesn't take any crap from anyone.

She and Vince Vaughn clashed on the set of "Four Christmases" mainly because of his overgrown fratboy antics. She always came prepared, wanted to rehearse, run lines, block scenes, etc. and the bloated, late-night-bar-trolling Vaughn didn't - he preferred to "improvise." Vaughn and posse might say that makes her a bitch, but I think more reasonable, less drunk people would just consider her professional.

As for the purse thing, she's probably telling the truth. A LOT of rich people are cheapos - they love freebies and being comped, but they don't like to spend their own money.

by Anonymousreply 2202/06/2012

The very rich are different from you and me (unless you're one of the very rich).

by Anonymousreply 2302/06/2012

[quote]Row purses

Never heard of that brand before this quote but now know it's the Olsen twins line sold at Barney's. And what a bunch of overpriced, drab, unflattering crap it is too. I'm sure the twins will send Reese a bag now.

by Anonymousreply 2402/06/2012

How could anyone over the age of 12 possibly carry a purse designed by Mary Kate and Ashley and not feel like a complete FUCKTARD?

by Anonymousreply 2502/06/2012

Sorry, but I don't think her dislike of Vince Vaughn makes her a bad person. He seems like an immature ass. Heaven forbid that she wants to get the job done and is all business!

by Anonymousreply 2602/06/2012

She's been photographed with high end purses from such designers as Givenchy, Chanel, Chloe, Celine. She also makes $15 million a movie. You think she really wouldn't buy that purse because she thought it was too "expensive?" Please.

She's trying to appeal to her Avon buying, People reading, frau audience. If she came across as the super rich, above it all snob she really is, she'd turn them off. Look what happened to Katherine Heigl when her inner bitch came through.

She's a phony. Last year in Vogue she said she cried in her car because she's always being chased by the paparazzi. Meanwhile she calls them for her weekly outings to church with her douchebag agent husband. Smugly smiling the entire time.

Reese, by all accounts is a stand offish, cold, cunty woman. Her co-stars don't like her, she's dismissive of her fans, and she's coldly calculating. This down home, just folks, Southern belle image is as fake as a 3 dollar bill.

by Anonymousreply 2702/06/2012

Vince Vaughn --

Why did he have a career? Wa he someone's frat brother?

by Anonymousreply 2802/06/2012

She irritates me for no concrete reason, I just find her personality/persona grating. Vince Vaughn irritates me as well.

by Anonymousreply 3002/06/2012

[RE 27] Bravo - that's exactly what I was trying to say. You did it much better. And I had forgotten about her papparazzi whine . Whaaa......poor me. They take my picture. You live in an f -ing gated community, in Brentwood - don't go out in public if you're so miserable about it all. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

by Anonymousreply 3102/07/2012

R11 That story is worth a read.

by Anonymousreply 3202/07/2012

See - thats what I'm talking about. She's a real, thru, and thru, bitch. Greasy Reesy . Love it .

by Anonymousreply 3302/07/2012

Worked as PA on the set of 4 Christmases. Reese was a doll! She actually purchased everyone in the crew a gift. Vince V whom she never really go along well with, because, mm well he is an ASSHOLE! He was pissed at her because he didn't do anything, he asked her to say it was from both of them and he would pay her. She declined. Ugh he was such a jerk. She was very kind. So I don't get the hate? Ohh I know, because she is WOMAN!

by Anonymousreply 3402/07/2012

r32, Smith comes across like a total Bitch! What a tool! She accidentally insulted his holy holy Clerks, gtfoh! Bows to Smith. Bows!

by Anonymousreply 3502/07/2012

r27 - Exactly. She's hustling to keep earning the $15 million salary. I'm not her target audience, but I guess she knows exactly who is.

I will always love her a little for Tracy Flick.

by Anonymousreply 3602/07/2012

She needs to pull a Glenn Close- in the 80's , Close had this rep as sweet, and honorable, onscreen. So perfect. Then she did 'Fatal Attraction', and blew that image away. Freed her to do all sorts of parts. Witherspoon needs to to a baddie role- get all sexed out, and/or play a part thats really mean, and vicious. The public loves it when someone flips their image upside down. After that, no one will call her a phony.

by Anonymousreply 3802/08/2012

Some of you might be interested to know that long long ago she appeared on an episode of Matlock and was killed off within about the first five minutes. I think some of you might find that cathartic.

by Anonymousreply 3902/08/2012

I wonder what Reese is doing RIGHT NOW?

by Anonymousreply 4002/08/2012

She's launched her own website and Facebook page and posted a picture of her and Chelsea Handler.

[quote]Chelsea and I feeling like Thelma and Louise. Sans headscarves and sunglasses,” the 35-year-old actress wrote on, which is part of the WhoSay platform.

Does she think aligning herself with the annoying Handler is going to do her any favors?

I'm getting a desperate vibe from her, like she knows her time is up but she'll do anything to stop it.

This movie is going to get destroyed by The Vow.

by Anonymousreply 4102/09/2012

Reese Witherspoon is phony, annoying and dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 4202/09/2012

She is not dumb. She just seems phony and so full of herself, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 4301/17/2013

[quote]"I have this fixation about this black leather The Row purse, but it's so prohibitively expensive, I will not allow myself to buy it. I literally go to the store to visit it. Too much money - it feels decadent. I can't wrap my brain around it. If I bought it, I'd only feel upset about it and take it back."

Funny that she said this because she's constantly photographed with the most expensive IT handbags, including a The Row purse that retails for $8000. Maybe she gets them for free, who knows, but how disingenuous to try to make it seem like she's too 'frugal' for expensive name brands.

by Anonymousreply 4401/17/2013

I don't like her persona but she is a good actress.

by Anonymousreply 4501/17/2013

She is a bitch like her ex hubby.

by Anonymousreply 4602/02/2013

Don't hate her because she is a beautiful and strong woman!

by Anonymousreply 4702/02/2013

Strong yes. Now 'beautiful' is under discussion although she is not a monster. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 4802/02/2013

She probably gets most - if not all - of her purses for free. You know, I can understand her not spending wildly. She probably has more money than she knows what to do with, but spending habits can be about your learned behaviors, and not just dictated by your income. On a much smaller scale, I'm the same way. I can afford to go out and buy an iPad, but I keep holding off because even though it would be cool, I still have a laptop in working order. That's just how I've learned to manage money.

The whining about the paparazzi is phony, though.

by Anonymousreply 4902/03/2013

What you can't understand hon?

She is a stingy phony bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5002/03/2013

The Row has a much smaller production than say Chanel or Gucci, which is part of why it's so expensive. It's quite possible that Reese tried to wrangle a freebie and couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 5102/03/2013

It's so exhausting, all this hate.

by Anonymousreply 5202/03/2013

"She just seems phony and so full of herself, that's all."

As an actor in Hollywood? Unheard of!

by Anonymousreply 5302/03/2013

She was fun in the 90s, but then grew odd in the 2000s as she tried to build a mainstream career. The roles she chose did her no favors and even her Oscar ended up being a curse.

It's too bad -- she should have had a far better career.

by Anonymousreply 5402/03/2013

She stars in a lot of silly comedies.

by Anonymousreply 5502/03/2013

She got her start singing standards- maybe she will redeem herself in her biopic about Peggy Lee that Todd Haynes's is directing/co-writing.

by Anonymousreply 5602/03/2013

I hope she'll do that R56 Although i don't like her at all as a person, but that fake bitch is a good actress. She just chooses to play in a lot of silly comedies because she obviously loves money. She is also seems sooooo stingy.

by Anonymousreply 5702/03/2013

delete 'but'

by Anonymousreply 5802/03/2013

She is also so stingy and she loves to talk about her frugality. Bitch!

by Anonymousreply 5902/03/2013

I'm such a cynical bitch, but then everything goes through my PR lens. I read these quotes from Reese an immediately pick them apart and start analyzing what kind of narrative she is trying to spin on herself, how much she got paid to drop The Row in Glamour magazine, etc.

These A-listers don't say anything in a major mag interview that isn't calculated. Every sentence has an audience in mind, and for Reese it is all about the upper middle class housewives. And Reese is a master at the spin - she's up there with Gwyneth and Angelina in that dept.

by Anonymousreply 6002/03/2013

She's right about the handbag. They are beautiful and although I'm hardly as rich as her, I could buy it but I never would. Buying a bag that costs as much as a car, feels corrupt.

by Anonymousreply 6102/03/2013

I'm curious about this Peggy Lee project. I've heard nothing about this, and can't find any info online.

In the mean time, I can't wait for Reese to in a big screen adaptation of WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, MEN ARE FROM MARS! Besides the obvious fact that it's not 1996, this sounds like an epic fail rom-com for the ages!

by Anonymousreply 6202/03/2013

A sequel to Election with a grown up Tracy Flick running for public office would be amazing

by Anonymousreply 6302/03/2013

Every time I see the title of this book, I hear it in my head the same way that Brittany Murphy (Tai) said it in Clueless.

Just a random comment. Carry on ripping Reese a new one.

by Anonymousreply 6402/03/2013

As long as they don't soft-pedal the politics, r63. Tracy would be a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 6502/03/2013

What R22 said.

by Anonymousreply 6602/03/2013

[quote]I think a lot of the vitriol directed at her arises from her being with Ryan Phillippe. Many DLers seem to love him.

She topped that off by being with Jake Gyllenhaal at the height of DL's obsession with him.

How dare she!

by Anonymousreply 6702/03/2013

And top that off with all the bad movies she made after a promising start.

by Anonymousreply 6802/03/2013

True, R68. I wonder what kind of scripts she's been getting if those are the choices she's made.

by Anonymousreply 6902/03/2013

The reason she was so good in "Election", is because she was playing both sides of herself - the part she presents to people, as the sweet, hard working, smart Tracy - and the other side, as the conniving, ruthless, mean Tracy. They are both Reese......with a bit-o-bitch overseeing it all.

by Anonymousreply 7002/03/2013

"the cat drinks milk"

by Anonymousreply 7102/03/2013

I don't mind her, but I agree she needs to do something different, like playing evil...she is producing the adaptation of the bestseller, "Gone Girl". I read it, and she should put herself in as the lead. She would nail it, I think..and it would definitely be a departure!

by Anonymousreply 7202/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 7307/10/2013

She absolutely stands up for reproductive rights for women and doesn't apologize for it or hide it to appease the anti-choice morons. She stood up for Hillary early and stuck with her - which I respected. She was good in "Freeway" and "Election" I liked both films.

Other than that - by all reports she is an awful human being and a fucking misery to work with or for. She resembles Tracy Flick a lot more than she resembles Elle Woods.

Her reputation as a cunt is set in stone and despite her good works for women, I can't stand her. She fucking tortured Joaquin Phoenix on "Walk the Line" - she tortured him afterwards during the promo and Oscar campaign phases as well. She tortures a lot of people and gets away with it because she's a big name.

The good news is that she's getting old for a romantic leading lady in Hollywood. Since everyone already hates her, she will not be one of those over-40 actresses who gets work until she's 80. They can't wait to get rid of her.

by Anonymousreply 7407/10/2013

My issue with Reese is that her work has been consistently middle of the road for decades. She is no longer box office, but because Hollywood is constantly behind (and because her husband works for CAA) she is still employed as a film actress. Not a nice woman.

by Anonymousreply 7507/10/2013

What she did to Jake is [bold]unforgivable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7607/10/2013

She gave my herpes chlamydia, the bitch!

by Anonymousreply 7707/11/2013

The better question is who ISN'T phony in Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 7807/11/2013

Why would an up and coming top agent get involved with a phony BLister with 2 kids and a nasty attitude ... unless he has something to cover up.

by Anonymousreply 7903/16/2014

Even Sean Penn got a better PR piece to show around.

by Anonymousreply 8003/16/2014

by Anonymousreply 8103/16/2014

I don't really get all the hate. It seems like she just goes about living her life and doesn't really go out of her way to garner publicity. She has made two of my favorite movies. Election and Legally Blonde. And when I just want to watch a movie that I don't have to think too hard about I will watch Sweet Home Alabama. I feel the same way about Overboard with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell. Perhaps she is a professional on set and doesn't like the loosey goosey approach to her job the way someone like Vaughn does. Since I don't know her I cannot know if she is phony, bitchy or evil to her co-stars. Juaquin seems to have problems of his own. When I think of phony Hollywood, she is certainly not the first name that comes to mind. Julia Roberts? That's another story.

by Anonymousreply 8203/16/2014

[quote]doesn't really go out of her way to garner publicity.

She calls the paps every time she is out to take pics of her kids. Only Garner/Affleck have more kids/pap appointments per week.

by Anonymousreply 8303/16/2014

She was by far the weakest link in Mud. And that movie was filled with good performances. Even the kids were better than her.

by Anonymousreply 8503/16/2014

I love Laura Jeanne Poon!

by Anonymousreply 8603/16/2014

[quote]Witherspoon is often photographed coming and going from church.

by Anonymousreply 8803/17/2014

CDAN ran a BI a while ago about one actress who was a very nasty, unpleasant person and that she began to spread rumours about another actress in order to usurp her career.

The consensus was that it was Resse and Alicia Silverstone.

by Anonymousreply 8903/17/2014

I am compusively obsessed with her chin!

Whenever I see a photo of her, I have to cover her chin with my finger in order to 'chop it off' enough, so that her face is then in proportion.

If I do not fulfill this compulsion, I feel I'm bringing bad luck to myself - It's like a complusive weakness, a superstition!

(There, I feel so much better, admitting this.)

by Anonymousreply 9003/17/2014

Strikes me as a big phony. There's something cold and calculating, yet frau-ish about her.

by Anonymousreply 9103/18/2014

Look who is kissing up to Clint Eastwood today? Why it's Laura Jean Poon aka "The Chin" aka RW.

Yeah SURE he's her friend. UH HUH. That's why he's put her ANY of his movies.

by Anonymousreply 9201/26/2015

Total phony. Only mommy fraus would defend her, thinking that she is one of them, but she's not.

by Anonymousreply 9301/26/2015

Reese Witherspoon gazes at Camila Alves as Matthew McConaughey wins his first Golden Globe

by Anonymousreply 9403/10/2015

Vanity Fair...

by Anonymousreply 9503/10/2015

Why did she break up with Ryan Phillippe? It was Ryan's idea i bet.

by Anonymousreply 9603/10/2015

I used to like her, but I've seen a couple of recent interviews ever since she remarried and she is 100% fake. It comes through.

by Anonymousreply 9703/10/2015

Yes as evidenced by her prima donna behavior when her husband was pulled over for (a) D.U.I.

by Anonymousreply 9803/10/2015

I think Reese drinks a lot.

by Anonymousreply 9903/10/2015

i guess its ok for her to live in a 12.5 mil dolar home and drive her bentley 2 mercedes, a rangerover an escalade and a tahoe. but yeah shes frugal

by Anonymousreply 10003/10/2015

R94 Ugh I can't stand that precious blinkblinkblink thing she did, same look she gave to Matthewww when she invited his pansexual prick to her busy honeypot during the worthless Mud shoot.

by Anonymousreply 10103/10/2015

She was really good early in her career.

by Anonymousreply 10203/10/2015

I don't get your point OP

by Anonymousreply 10303/10/2015

I read a comment somewhere (probably DL) that described her face as a "balled up angry fist." That's all I see know. It scares me.

by Anonymousreply 10403/10/2015

I think she's a quality actress, and I don't really care if she qualifies as 'phony'.

Doesn't seem much more phony than any other hollywood actor. They all try to seem basically down to earth and not spoiled, and all of them are rich stars.

by Anonymousreply 10503/10/2015

I liked her until she won the Oscar. Then she changed and so did my opinion. Her "Don't you know who I am?" episode only served to confirm it. Next!

by Anonymousreply 10603/10/2015

I will say, if it is indeed her, she is very charming on Twitter.

However I still cannot get over her husband who has a rep as an ass (and may be one in the business world, I have never met him) - yet he was far more reasonable and even ashamed, during his police stop than anyone thought possible.

by Anonymousreply 10703/10/2015

I like her

by Anonymousreply 10803/10/2015

Reese is trying hard to shut up and listen!

by Anonymousreply 10904/04/2015

Well here is the photo...

by Anonymousreply 11004/04/2015

What was wrong with her underwear scene? Will someone please link a pic. TIA

by Anonymousreply 11104/04/2015

Cruella de Vil would be a great transition for her. An honorable, true feminist for all women like Patty.

by Anonymousreply 11204/04/2015

Lol R112!

R111, hey baby, check the link below. That was all i could find for you.

by Anonymousreply 11304/04/2015

She's a what.

by Anonymousreply 11404/04/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!