Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Whitney Houston Is Flat Broke

She has spent her $100,000,000 fortune (on drugs?). She is living off a loan from her record company, Arista.

Sad

by Anonymousreply 15805/17/2014

Whitney is being financially supported by her record label Arista, which has given her an advance payment on her next album, according to reports.

Her next album? I was one of Whitney's biggest fans, but her voisce seems shot. A next album would likely be embarrasing.

by Anonymousreply 102/02/2012

What a waste of one of the best voices ever. A shame. A damn shame.

by Anonymousreply 202/02/2012

Click, dial tone, goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 302/02/2012

Anyone who wastes 100MIL$ in a few decades deserves anything that's happening to them.

What a waste of talent and money.

by Anonymousreply 402/02/2012

[quote]one of the best voices ever.

You can't be serious. She was a belter. Nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 502/02/2012

R5 = Celine Dion

by Anonymousreply 602/02/2012

[quote]Anyone who wastes 100MIL$ in a few decades deserves anything that's happening to them.

You got it! Anyone that ungrateful and stupid that they just blew through all that money deserves nothing.

by Anonymousreply 702/02/2012

R5. I'm dead serious. Fabulous voice, but she threw it all away. Drugs sure do screw up your mind.

by Anonymousreply 802/02/2012

"She is broke as a joke" sounds like something Maya Rudolph doing her Whitney impression would say!

by Anonymousreply 902/02/2012

We can joke, but this is sad. Yeah, sure we can all say that Whitney deserves it, blah, blah, blah.

But come on, anyone who goes through $100 million has lost their direction, focus, mind, rationale. Everything. She wasn't being malicious. She didn't kill anyone. She seemed like a good girl. But somehow she killed her future. And she had it all. She just couldn't handle it. It's gone and it's just sad.

by Anonymousreply 1002/02/2012

It's called addiction R10. I would be more compassionate if she had ever tried to fight those demons but I don't think she ever did.

by Anonymousreply 1102/02/2012

great. gives me hope the kardashians will go broke.

by Anonymousreply 1202/02/2012

"Sad" OP?

No. It's not sad at all. She had the world at her feet and willingly pissed it all away. She could have got help - the best help money could buy - at any point and didn't.

There's planty of things I can mention that are sad. A superstar with a voice that's a gift anyone would kill for deciding to become a crackhead for years and piss away everything. No. It's not sad.

by Anonymousreply 1302/02/2012

You know when Oprah sees her name on her phone that call goes to VM and is never listened to.

by Anonymousreply 1402/02/2012

Those giant dildos are expensive!

by Anonymousreply 1502/03/2012

The havoc that being in the closet can wreak on one's life...

by Anonymousreply 1602/03/2012

What's SAD to me is sick terrorists who target innocent people. What's sad to me is reading here about 40-45 year old people who have no savings and can find themselves homeless in a few months and the many people that have worked their whole lives and see their world crashing down on them. What I find sad is people getting cancer and other illnesses and not being able to get treatment. The list goes on and on. I don't feel sorry for a megastar who burned 100mil in 20 years and could have done a lot more than the average person to get help.

by Anonymousreply 1702/03/2012

R13. It's called addiction. Once you're addicted, you lose all perspective. Yes, we have to rise above it. But for some, it's impossible. People need help. No one can do it alone. Sure, there must have been help all around Whitney. But she didn't know how to accept it, see it right in front of her, or reach out. She was trapped in her addiction, surrounded by an addictive husband.

I'm not making excuses for her. But to say she pissed it all away is wrong. If someone is pissing it away--they are aware that they're pissing. But for whatever reason, Whitney didn't know she was pissing. She didn't have a clue. Her rationale was gone until it was too late.

by Anonymousreply 1802/03/2012

vicious

by Anonymousreply 2002/03/2012

by Anonymousreply 2202/03/2012

R18 = enabler.

There's NO excuse for being a cracked out mess for 20 years when you have the money to get help. I'm sure Clive Davis and many others tried interventions on her and she obviously never wanted to get better and wanted to stay a crackhead.

by Anonymousreply 2302/03/2012

yes r24...she's a victim. She was a multi millionaire with access to the best mentsl health professionals.....she chose her path.

by Anonymousreply 2502/03/2012

What happened to Robin?

by Anonymousreply 2602/03/2012

r28, moved to California, practices law.

by Anonymousreply 2702/03/2012

Those of you who think she deserve everything she has coming to her, where is your humanity? She was a great entertainer. She's a person. Had you been in her shoes, I mean really lived her life, how do you know that the same thing wouldn't have happened to you?

How do you know that you wouldn't have succumbed to drugs, pressure, the dark side of fame? I doubt any of you will ever be as rich as she was or as famous. So how do you know?

You're so fucking self righteous...

by Anonymousreply 2802/03/2012

r28===MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 2902/03/2012

How sad. Addiction ruins lives. A severe addiction can quickly eat through a fortune. I'm not surprised that she's broke, but I'm shocked that she's still alive.

by Anonymousreply 3002/03/2012

R17. All the situations you described can be sad PLUS Whitney's situation can be sad as well--all at the same time. But perhaps not "sad" in the traditional sense of the word, instead it's "unfortunate." Have a little compassion.

by Anonymousreply 3102/03/2012

"viscous father"

He was a thick man.

by Anonymousreply 3202/03/2012

Fine r31. I didn't mean to sound cold at all. Maybe I'm just in a nasty mood and there's so much crap going on in the world and in my own life. I used to love her and although I feel bad for her, her situation annoys me. One of the reasons is that she actually had a child.

There are millions of addicts that are from poor or middle class background and they lose everything. They end up dead, ill, in jail, completely broke, alone etc. They never had the money, friends, privileges or access to help that she had and has. I just wonder how much compassion ppl have for them?

Money is not everything in life and it's not what makes one happy but it does give people a lot of power and options that people without it don't have.

I guess I'm just tired of "poor me" rich, blessed, privileged people.

by Anonymousreply 3302/03/2012

[quote]Anyone who wastes 100MIL$ in a few decades deserves anything that's happening to them.

Hey, why is everyone looking at us?

by Anonymousreply 3402/03/2012

[quote]I guess I'm just tired of "poor me" rich, blessed, privileged people.

I don't recall Whitney saying "poor me." It's all of us here commentig on this unfortunate situation whatever the cause or root of the problem. It's like a lottery winner you rea about who won it all, and then for some unexplicable reason, their lives become unmanageable, fall into despair or addiction, and they just cannot seem to get a grasp on reality once again. It's just the human condition and how it affects each of us differntly even if we cause the problem.

It takes work, guidance, direction and help and perseverance to live a decent life. It doesn't take much for someone's life to unravel no matter how much money you have.

by Anonymousreply 3502/03/2012

[quote]It doesn't take much for someone's life to unravel no matter how much money you have.

I'll take that a step further and say that it doesn't take much to unravel as a RESULT of becoming filthy rich. Most people who were not born to money can not handle sudden, staggering wealth. Google 'lottery winners' and you will be astounded at how many of them go bankrupt within a few years.

Average folks who suddenly hit it big often act like kids in a candy store. They splurge for themselves and everyone they know. People crawl out of the woodwork to take advantage of them. They don't know who their real friends are anymore and families get torn apart. They get depressed and finally turn to addiction to cope---poof, all the money is gone.

It takes a very strong, emotionally stable and savvy person to handle the level of fame and fortune Whitney had. She wasn't made of stern enough stuff.

by Anonymousreply 3602/03/2012

I wonder first about the "$100 million," - did she ever have that much or that much total in her life, doubt it; second, about her "people" who were likely the ones who made of with most of it; third, it is nearly impossible to spend that much by yourself, even with drugs; and fourth, what about ASCAP and BMI - surely she has a lifetime stream (firehouse) that will never run out ..??

by Anonymousreply 3702/03/2012

I thought crack was cheap. Rather than opening schools in South Africa, her girl friend Ofrah should give her money. Or maybe her dear godmother Dionne Warwick can throw her some bucks that she scammed from people. KISS MY ASS.

by Anonymousreply 3902/03/2012

I'm in recovery. I feel for her. I know it's frustrating to non addicts. Most addicts don't like their addiction. We fucking hate it. But it's like living in quicksand. Maybe she's hit her bottom, which might work for her. That's a bitch of a bottom, but at least she didn't kill anyone.

I hate drugs and alcohol. They ruin everything for those of us who can't handle it. And like every addict, I wish I could have both drugs and booze right now. Please have some compassion for addicts. Some of us are evil, some of us are great. Just like non addicts.

by Anonymousreply 4002/03/2012

Dionne is her cousin, not her aunt. And I don't think it's even a first cousin; maybe first cousin once removed. So I don't know why anyone thinks Dionne should be responsible for her.

And I, too doubt she ever actually had $100 million, tho she certainly had enough she shouldn't be broke now.

by Anonymousreply 4102/03/2012

No empathy here. She was given a gift, and she chose to squander it. Fuck her. I'm not shedding tears over some entitled princess.

by Anonymousreply 4202/03/2012

R40, I have empathy for addicts because I could have easily become one. I don't drink or do drugs because I know I could easily become ensnared. Kudos to you for getting your life together.

by Anonymousreply 4302/03/2012

Crack is Whack!

by Anonymousreply 4402/03/2012

R42, I see your point, but that's way harsh.

by Anonymousreply 4502/03/2012

Addiction and misfortune can happen to any of us (and it surely happens to a lot of people in the past, present, and future). Whitney is a cautionary tale.

That advanced payment she got from her record company will surely be for a Best of or they might really release the album MadTV once made a spoof of.

by Anonymousreply 4602/03/2012

Are you referring to Bobby Brown, R15?

by Anonymousreply 4702/03/2012

r47, at one point, an insider told the tabloids that Whitney was using them in her bedroom in between hits on the crack pipe.

r5 is an asshat. Whitney had one of the best voices in pop/R&B, and to dismiss her as a mere belter shows r5 knows shit about singing. Probably thinks Britney Spears can sing.

And she'll never break Mike Tyson's go-for-broke record of blowing 300 million USD.

by Anonymousreply 4802/03/2012

Jesus, R24 is a fucking loon. An unbalanced, angry, racist, homophobic loon.

by Anonymousreply 4902/03/2012

[quote]I wonder first about the "$100 million"

Exactly, another overinflated worth. Artists don't make any money on singles, they never did and now with all the illegal downloads, all money is in touring and forty five dollar tee shirts. Why do you think Madonna is hitting the road again or the Stones never retired? And Whitney was never a tourer, she didn't settle in Vegas for a long profitable run.

by Anonymousreply 5002/03/2012

Record studios make the most money from music releases. Then comes the songwriter and last comes the performer.

by Anonymousreply 5102/03/2012

She's not broke people. Her royalties alone are $2 million a year and she still has money left over from her touring days. Arista/BMG paid her a $5 million advance for her next LP.

Is she is rich as she once was? No, but she's not broke.

by Anonymousreply 5202/03/2012

All that needs to be said on WH:

by Anonymousreply 5302/03/2012

When you spend more than you earn you are (going) broke. When you live on loans or credit you are broke. When your last tour is a total failure because you're not able to perform and have a well known substance abuse problem you are a broke-ass ho.

by Anonymousreply 5402/03/2012

No one advised her to marry Bobby. Believe me, her people BEGGED her not to do it. Bobby was no one's idea of a good image. While Whitney did indeed love Robin, she and Bobby had a strong sexual and physical connection and she wanted him, simple as that. Clive Davis hated Bobby Brown.

by Anonymousreply 5502/03/2012

Icy cold voice with all the warmth and shadings of a police siren.

by Anonymousreply 5602/03/2012

She's probably claiming to be broke so she can get Bobby B off her payroll.

by Anonymousreply 5702/03/2012

WH never earned $100M for six albums. Her contract may have been WORTH that much, but I'm sure it was tied to performance levels and she's only had 7 albums total!

by Anonymousreply 5802/03/2012

Then why hasn't she filed for bankruptcy? The link said she asked someone for 100 bucks, at the same time she still manages to blow money on a new mansion and flashy cars. The source of this story seems suspect. No name, probably a disgruntled ex hunger-on who had to be cut lose because she's no longer big or active enough to require an entourage.

As someone said, she earns about $2 Million a year in royalties alone, not much, but not peanuts either. Also, her movie production company seems active, responsible for hits such as The Princess Diaries, Cheetah Girls and the upcoming remake of Sparkle, starring Jordan Sparks.

by Anonymousreply 5902/03/2012

Bobaaaaaay!

by Anonymousreply 6002/03/2012

I did not read the article. Does it mention Cissy? She always struck me as a no-nonsense, take-charge kind of Mama who should/could have gotten this girl under control.

by Anonymousreply 6102/03/2012

I may end up broke one day too, but I'll never be flat.

by Anonymousreply 6202/03/2012

What would Judge Mathis say?

by Anonymousreply 6302/03/2012

r14 I love that visual of Oprah staring at her phone while the call goes to voicemail!

by Anonymousreply 6402/03/2012

r61, I agree with r19. Her mother always seemed jealous. A jealous mother is the worst kind, they will cause their child to act out and make bad decisions. It takes a strong person to over come that.

by Anonymousreply 6502/03/2012

cocaine bump

by Anonymousreply 6602/04/2012

Whitney is not broke, her jewelry collection alone is worth about 10 million dollars.

by Anonymousreply 6702/04/2012

I predict the Psychic Friends Network will soon have a new spokesperson.

by Anonymousreply 6902/04/2012

What we should be doing is helping Whitney find another job.

Any ideas?

by Anonymousreply 7002/04/2012

I think that fruit stand idea she had was good. She can work at Whole Foods.

She could also be a judge on RuPaul's Drag Race. That Wendy Williams interview clearly showed that reading is one her best skills.

by Anonymousreply 7102/04/2012

Talk show hostess!

by Anonymousreply 7202/04/2012

Gee, this is what we were saying just a week ago. The Beverly Hilton is an expensive hotel, but then she was only on the 4th floor.

by Anonymousreply 7302/13/2012

[quote]She needs to take a page from the playbook of Don Cornelius.

asshole

by Anonymousreply 7402/13/2012

It's sad the way TV networks make money with reality shows built around practicing addicts like Whitney Houston and Anna Nicole Smith.

by Anonymousreply 7502/13/2012

So I have this vision of Whitney standing in line at the bank to cash a check for 20,000 to pay her dealer. After all they don't take checks or credit cards.

by Anonymousreply 7602/13/2012

I'm guessing with all her millions she once had, there was at least one policy hanging around that her kid will benefit from.

Plus, there's the rights to all that music. I would imagine Bobbi Cristina will be set for life one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 7702/13/2012

Drugs aren't that expensive, obviously the leeches have been feeding off her.

by Anonymousreply 7802/13/2012

Janet would know about bad mothers.

by Anonymousreply 7902/13/2012

suicide?

by Anonymousreply 8002/13/2012

R78 not necessarily. Elton John showered money on people who wanted nothing to do with him.

by Anonymousreply 8102/13/2012

That's what you get for not tipping the bellhop.

by Anonymousreply 8202/13/2012

[quote] She is living off a loan from her record company, Arista.

Not any mo'.

by Anonymousreply 8302/13/2012

R56 is out of his fucking mind.

by Anonymousreply 8402/13/2012

If she really was flat broke, her daughter will have practically nothing because Whitney didn't write any of her songs, so it's not like she'll get publishing royalties.

by Anonymousreply 8502/14/2012

[quote]Plus, there's the rights to all that music. I would imagine Bobbi Cristina will be set for life one way or another.

Now THAT's funny!!!

by Anonymousreply 8602/14/2012

r85, I understood that there were performance royalties and songwriting ones. Houston's daughter would receive her performance royalties, unless they were signed away.

If the songs are now selling or are repackaged as "Ultimate Collections, etc.", she could earn quite a bit.

Many older artists are worth more alive than dead, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 8802/14/2012

Doesn't the estate get a royalty payment every time one of Whitney's recordings is played or sold? That might not provide wealth beyond the dreams of avarice, but Bobbi won't be living under a bridge as long as light rock radio is around.

Unless she starts sharing her father's hobbies, of course.

by Anonymousreply 8902/14/2012

r89, the performance royalties are much less than the songwriting ones.

It also depends on how they are being used. Using one of her songs for a film garners the estate different fees than her record company re-releasing or repackaging her original recordings.

It can be quite complicated, especially with new technologies.

My main worry for Bobbi Kristina is that she gets the fuck away from all the enabling leeches who infested her mother's life and gets clean. She's already been photoed doing lines and drinking.

by Anonymousreply 9002/14/2012

Also, if rumors are true that her record company were loaning her money and paying for all of her living expenses, wouldn't they take any future money made until they recoup what they spent on her?

by Anonymousreply 9102/14/2012

Whitney didn't receive much in the way of publishing royalties, which is where the real money is in the music business, along with touring. She wasn't touring the way she used to and that was always how she generated her main income.

No doubt she owed BMG/Sony a lot of money when she died, but her CD sales are going through the roof now and once the label is recouped, her daughter should be OK.

by Anonymousreply 9202/14/2012

All debt by BMG/Sony is charged against future royalties. This happened to Karen when A&M cancelled an album they didn't like. Of course, she was still able to record and perform. Not WH, not in a million years.

Don't you think it kind of odd though, this timely death, on the road?

by Anonymousreply 9302/14/2012

Do you know what a $100 million record deal actually means? First of all, it includes the costs of producing and promoting the records. Second, it is paid out over many years, contingent on actually delivering records. The deal was made in 2001 for six albums and she has released two of them. Finally, these "deals" are quoted in terms of the maximum possible payout which includes incentive bonuses, etc.

She would have been lucky to get a few million dollars actually paid to her, then she is taxed and has to pay for everyone in her family whose livelihoods depends on her out of the after tax dollars.

by Anonymousreply 9402/14/2012

Is her daughter in college? If not, I get the feeling she should probably consider it since Whitney's fortune seems to have be non-existent.

by Anonymousreply 9502/14/2012

One of Whitney's rich friends can give the kid some money. If she is wise, she won't depend on an her parents money

by Anonymousreply 9602/14/2012

I imagine she had life insurance.

by Anonymousreply 9702/14/2012

The real money is in song-writing. Did she get any writing credit?

by Anonymousreply 9902/14/2012

No doubt a known druggie like Whitney couldn't get any type of life insurance.

by Anonymousreply 10002/14/2012

I just saw last weeks Inquirer cover with something along the lines of

"Whitney's Wild and Erratic Behaviour",

" Booze ad Pills, It is worse than we thought"

by Anonymousreply 10102/14/2012

First of all she's dead, so she's not living off of anything. Second her performance residuals will provide nicely for her daughter and any other heirs. Billionaires? No, but they'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 10202/14/2012

r96, I remember Chaka Khan on Piers Morgan saying that she had talked to Cissy and offered her any help re: Bobbi Kristina. She mentioned she had 'a lot of resources' re: child welfare issues.

I don't know what she meant, but I hope Cissy takes her up on it; it sounded like a genuine offer.

by Anonymousreply 10302/14/2012

If Sparkle does well...

by Anonymousreply 10402/14/2012

Chaka Khan has been through some serious challenges of her own and survived. She is also a very gifted performer who could have outshined Miss Ross if her early career had gone differently.

I missed the entire Piers interview although I agreed with her that Beverly Hilton party should have been toned down or cancelled by Clive Davis given that Whitney was upstairs while a party was going on in the ballroom.

I heard on the radio Mr. Davis did pay his respects to the family and then went to the affair.

by Anonymousreply 10502/14/2012

Sick, r83. Exhuming this thread just for kicks.

by Anonymousreply 10602/15/2012

TMZ is now saying that Whitney's estate is worth around $20 million, which isn't wonderful considering she was worth over $100 million at one time, but it's not terrible either.

If Bobbi Kristina invests the money wisely and doesn't blow through it and keeps the leeches out of her life, she should live quite comfortably.

by Anonymousreply 10702/16/2012

Somehow i wasnt worried bout bkb

by Anonymousreply 10802/16/2012

[quote]If Bobbi Kristina invests the money wisely and doesn't blow through it

Do you really think this is possible? I guarantee she learned very well from her mother and will end up in another bathtub before this decade is over.

by Anonymousreply 10902/16/2012

Where in the world would Whitney Houston get $100 million? A hundred million records sold? Artist don't get a dollar an album and she only had six anyway. She never toured that much, never made lots of $20 million dollar paycheck movies. The press comes up with a figure and you idiots believe hook line and sinker. Whatever she had she spent on taxes, managers, agents, hair and make up people, publicity agents Lesbian lover assistants, houses, full time body guards/ babysitters and drugs but it was no where near that figure. As Madonna said in a recent interview about her new $100 million recording contract.."Really? No one has written me a $100 million dollar check."

by Anonymousreply 11002/16/2012

what's up with he SPAM at r87? Webmaster allows that here?

by Anonymousreply 11102/16/2012

[quote]what's up with he SPAM

Maybe that's how threads get deleted.

by Anonymousreply 11202/16/2012

Whitney was wealthy, but most of her fortune was long gone. She didn't work much for a decade, which is a very long time when you have the overhead she has, and her principal was much diminished.

Her so-called $100 million recording contract was exaggerated, as these deals always are in the media. She was guaranteed an advance of $5 million per CD, however, she only recorded two records and neither sold anywhere near what she used to sell. The Christmas Album was non-advanceable and Arista had advanced her at least $6 million in recent years, which means her estate owes the label at least $15-20 million. That should disappear relatively quickly now that her sales are going through the roof, but it means no royalties for quite a long time.

She reportedly was paid $15 million for Sparkle and had profit participation, which likely will pay off after the release. Bobbi Kristina should be comfortably well-off over time.

I am certain Whitney was careful to set-up trusts and restrictions to manage her daughter's money, especially with Bobby Brown hovering around. She wasn't stupid.

by Anonymousreply 11302/16/2012

[quote]I am certain Whitney was careful to set-up trusts and restrictions to manage her daughter's money,

Yes, we can all be certain that a drunk crack-ho was busy setting up trusts and restrictions.

by Anonymousreply 11402/16/2012

She had tons of money, the person who said she was broke was dead wrong.

by Anonymousreply 11502/16/2012

Bobbi doesnt need child services she is 18 and you know they didnt encourage education so she is probably stupid and bartling addiction, like she will really be responsible withe the estate. I wonder if she is a decent singer based on her dna

by Anonymousreply 11602/16/2012

Can Bobbi Kristina sing? I wonder if the Jackson children have reached out to her.

Were Michael and Whitney friends? Same era, yet I don't recall them ever together.

by Anonymousreply 11702/16/2012

Now she's just flat.

by Anonymousreply 11802/16/2012

Flat dead...

by Anonymousreply 11902/16/2012

[quote]She reportedly was paid $15 million for Sparkle and had profit participation, which likely will pay off after the release. Bobbi Kristina should be comfortably well-off over time.

Who the hell reported that? She was paid what Reese Witherspoon and Sandra Bullock make for a supporting role in a low budget remake? Think again.

by Anonymousreply 12002/16/2012

just like with MJ, her record sales are probably through the roof now. That will bring in some extra cash.

by Anonymousreply 12102/16/2012

Yeah, that figure doesn't sound right, r120.

ET reported the other night that they ran out of money before finishing the movie and Whitney personally put up the extra 2 million they needed. So it makes sense that she would have gotten a cut of the profits.

by Anonymousreply 12202/16/2012

Her net worth as of 2011 was approx $10 million most of it in real estate. Unfortunately there were no trusts set up, hence the mess now. A lot of her cash has been frozen until the inheritance mess is sorted out.

by Anonymousreply 12302/16/2012

CNN said she still had a fortune because of The Body Guard soundtrack sold huge numbers. Maybe she had to give Bobby Brown a lot? Maybe Clive Davis robbed her or she helped too many friends and family? Maybe she bought too much property?

by Anonymousreply 12402/16/2012

I bet this reported $20 million estate is mostly tied up in real estate and insurance.

by Anonymousreply 12502/16/2012

Her $7 million dollar house in New jersey is now listed for a little more than $1 million. And as for her record sales, she didn't write one of them and that's where the money is. Dolly Parton will make more off of "I Will Honestly Love You" than her estate ever will and don't forget lots of illegal downloading that wasn't available in her prime will cut into that too.

by Anonymousreply 12602/16/2012

Bobby didn't get a penny in their divorce because she had a prenup.

I don't think she was broke, but most of her millions were long since spent on high living and drugs. Both of her homes were in foreclosure for non-payment of property taxes and past due mortgages at one point, so she was definitely having problems.

by Anonymousreply 12702/16/2012

Whitney was living off advances from Sony/BMG and had little cash in the end. Clive lent her $2 million a few years ago as well.

She was definitely broke. The money from The Bodyguard years (over $75 million) was 15 years ago and long spent.

by Anonymousreply 12802/16/2012

Those dollar figures attached to record deals are not advances against future record sales.

They are an estimation of the total value of the deal if the act sells to their average sale per disc for the duration of the contract, usually 5 studio albums and a GH set.

It's the royalty rate per album that this is calculated against.

Whitney had a 100 million dollar deal because her royalty rate was gigantic. 40 % plus.

Streisand's '91 deal gave her 47 %. That's still the highest reported rate.

Bobbi K is going to be filthy rich.

by Anonymousreply 12902/16/2012

[quote]Whitney was living off advances from Sony/BMG and had little cash in the end. Clive lent her $2 million a few years ago as well.

If true, then Clive was stupid for giving her advances in such high amounts. He should have made her work for her money and earn it - maybe that would have encouraged her to get her fucking act together.

I never did like Clive and how he would always act like Whitney was fine or getting her act together when she wasn't. He's always been full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 13002/16/2012

R130 she was a junkie for so long that even those who stood to gain from her success walked away years ago. Her voice was shot to Hell and she couldn't put out hits even if she wanted to. She ruined her voice from years of smoking crack. And despite numerous attempts by family and friends to get her through rehab she never wanted to get better.

by Anonymousreply 13102/17/2012

If Whitney was broke and if her daughter ends up with no money, then it would be a noble gesture on Dolly Parton's part to give Bobbi Kristina her a few million dollars. The money could be put into a trust, so Bobbi didn't blow it all.

Yes, Dolly wrote IWALY and deserves the royalties; however, Whitney made Dolly a millionaire many times over.

by Anonymousreply 13202/17/2012

[quote]Whitney made Dolly a millionaire many times over.

You've got that right. Dolly was a broke, homeless waif until Whitney made her a millionaire. Poor Dolly didn't have two pennies to rub together until Whitney rescued her from poverty.

by Anonymousreply 13302/17/2012

[quote]If Whitney was broke and if her daughter ends up with no money, then it would be a noble gesture on Dolly Parton's part to give Bobbi Kristina her a few million dollars. The money could be put into a trust, so Bobbi didn't blow it all.

Thanks for the morning laugh.

by Anonymousreply 13402/17/2012

If Bobbie Christina needs money, it should come from Clive or her goddamn lying grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 13502/17/2012

Didn't Whitney dislike Dolly because Dolly had the audacity "to sing MY song...where does she (Dolly) get off thinking she has the right to sing MY song?"

by Anonymousreply 13602/17/2012

Forbes Magazine is now reporting that Whitney was far from broke and made $35 Million in 2010. Bobbi Kristina is going to be very wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 13702/18/2012

Come on people this is gossip, hearsay, drama, and RIDICULOUS! First off what about the part of her estate that Cissy seized in the midst of her addiction. You cant smoke/shoot/snort 100 million dollars worth of drugs!!! Logic evades some of us when it comes to a good chunk of gossip!!!! Whitney Houston was human blessed with the BEST VOICE EVER..... but still was in the flesh and of this world. Human like you and I stop judging because no one can speak on what they wouldve done if they had her talent. That is something that will never come to pass. We love you Whitney!!!! RIP!!!

by Anonymousreply 13810/11/2012

These comments are so funny because everyone talks like they lived right next door to Whitney Houston or were her personal accountant. First off a few falsities to clear up......... Where is that some people feel that artist ONLY make money IF they write music or tour...... Do you honestly believe that after the contract she signed initially with Arista for her debut album (her first contract was a one album deal) that she didnt get her father (a politician and music manager) along with a legal team to negotiate a contract that would bring her to a level of MEGASTAR!!!! Whitney if nothing was a smart articulate woman. She didnt have to do the other things that some do to keep income generating.... she was WHITNEY HOUSTON and you young bucks have no clue how MASSIVE this woman really was!!! Bigger than Mariahs unveiling, bigger than Celine...... Whitney was MASSIVE. She inked a deal in 2001 for 100 million dollars to generate 6 albums (which she would STILL draw warranties off of!!!) Who knows how much she was paid for Sparkle because in filming her last film The Preacher's Wife she was paid 10 MILLION dollars!!!! Which at the time place her in the top 10 of hollywoods highest paid actresses! Her tours, movie royalties, production company (you remember the Princess Diaries right? Produced through her production company.....Cheetah Girls.....same). Stop trying to put Whitney in a box because in entertainment she had no peers..... Oh lets not forget that little Cinderella project of hers.... Highest rated made for television movie.......EVER. So stop even attempting to fathom where to start or guesstimate her worth. Clive didnt advance her shit.....she didnt even like him. Just know this........Arista/Clive made more money off Whitney Houston than we could imagine..... she doesnt owe them SHIT.

by Anonymousreply 13910/11/2012

Has the Janbot switched to Whitney now? What should we call it? Whitdroid? Whitron?

by Anonymousreply 14010/11/2012

Now she's just flat.

by Anonymousreply 14110/11/2012

whitney's in hell. drugs are bad.

by Anonymousreply 14205/16/2014

lol r142 you so funny.

by Anonymousreply 14305/16/2014

There is such a thing as "reviving dead threads"...

And then there is necrophilia...

by Anonymousreply 14405/16/2014

How will she buy a stairway to heaven ?

by Anonymousreply 14505/16/2014

[quote]drugs are bad.

Crack, in particular, is whack.

by Anonymousreply 14605/16/2014

Alas..

by Anonymousreply 14705/16/2014

Her pussy stinks.

by Anonymousreply 14805/16/2014

Does anyone want to have a discussion about how much she might actually have been worth? Let's not throw out blank numbers like 100,000,000.

Okay.

Huge success with in relatively few albums in the '80s and '90s. Much more modest success in the '00s.

Toured reasonably in the '80s and '90s. Less so and on a reduced scale in the '00s.

Didn't write any of her songs.

Supported an a huge number of people. I'm sure she gave DL fave Miss Dionne a "loan to pay her taxes".

Extensive drug use.

What else?

This was her house.

Has anyone seen

by Anonymousreply 14905/16/2014

This Ariana Grande R151? Singing one of Houston's songs. You think she sounds like the new Whitney?

Go to church and pray your ears to be healed. Ariana on a good day accomplishes a small approximation of imitating a portion of Mariah Carey's voice.

Whitney Houston is already Flat Broke and Dead. Don't insult her further. No one sounds like Whitney, no matter how hard Jennifer Hudson tried. God Bless you R151. You know nothing about voices or singing or even white people. Whitney was a stunning woman for a black lady and she didn't do drugs.

by Anonymousreply 15205/16/2014

Jennette McCurdy at R152

by Anonymousreply 15305/16/2014

She wasnt flat broke, had at least $12mill in the bank. And she had that much with a half assed tour, and a voice torched by pack+ aday Newports far more than drugs.

She came into a stellar stardom at 20, a family that loved her greatly but with far bigger addiction issues than she initially. Two brothers that dragged her down with blow and a prick of a marriage to as big a user as she could evah be. (A punk that was so envious of her success that he was happiest when he helped her shelve her stellar voice and career, while he was making babies and costing her child support, bail bond and legal fees - over a mill I bet.)

She spent, and spent and spent on the blood suckers. From the start she was shoved into the closet after getting her first paycheck from Arista. She had a FEW close friends but the only friend (not family) and LOVER that truly was concerned, fought for her and could see where this was headed, left her after Bacharach fired her from the Oscars - Robyn Crawford. Pat Houston was on the sidelines waiting for that opportunity. Pat married her brother, so was very "Loving" toward people suffering addiction. BLEH.

A young vocal world class genius surrounded by family for her ENTIRE LIFE (touring family at that) saturated in severe narcotic addiction issues really had no chance.

Vocally she has no peer, will NEVAH be replaced. No She wasnt flat broke, but she was the greatest of vocal artists.

by Anonymousreply 15405/16/2014

PLUS she's dead. Things are looking really bad for Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 15505/16/2014

Yes, she's DEAD BROKE.

by Anonymousreply 15605/16/2014

There is NO reason to dig up dead.

Cuz Zombie Nippy is with ME, baby.

Ka-CHING.

by Anonymousreply 15705/17/2014

"Whitney was a stunning woman for a black lady and she didn't do drugs."

You think Whitney didn't do drugs, R152?

Do you also believe Michael Jackson was a proud, straight, black man who never touched drugs or little boys?

by Anonymousreply 15805/17/2014
Need more help? Click Here.