Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Joel Osteen gay rumors

Anyone know more to this? I'm curious because there is a lot of buzz about him being in the closet (wife stays for the money, big surprise) since his shirtless photos came out.

by Anonymousreply 14406/18/2014

I love the headline here...

"Joel Osteen - Good God, he's ripped!!"

by Anonymousreply 402/02/2012

He's not THAT ripped, but his body is decent. Not a surprise, though. He strikes me as the kind of guy who thinks he's a lot better-looking than he really is and would be proud of his body.

by Anonymousreply 602/02/2012

Who is he? I've never heard of him.

by Anonymousreply 702/02/2012

Shaves his chest?

Gay

by Anonymousreply 1002/02/2012

[quote] Besides being one of the most famous preachers in the world, Osteen is also a health nut ... who dishes out diet advice on his web page. Judging by his sculpted physique, dude knows what he's talking about.

Change "health nut" to "gym queen," and I think the article would be more accurate.

by Anonymousreply 1202/02/2012

He's gay. Trick will come forward soon. Wait for it......wait for it

by Anonymousreply 1302/02/2012

[quote] Trick will come forward soon.

No way. He's too careful. Miss Osteen has too much to lose. 65,000 suckers every week, shelling out millions of dollars to the Osteen family. He would never risk it.

by Anonymousreply 1402/02/2012

[quote]How can he be THAT famous and I've never, ever heard of him?

You shouldn't confuse your ignorance with reality. Osteen was named the country's most influential preacher a while back, and he's been a mainstay of the news for years now; I remember "60 Minutes" doing a major expose on his controversial views. I wouldn't say he's the most famous preacher, period, but of the non-geriatric set he probably still wins that title.

And sorry, but I don't think the fact that the man exercises is reason enough to conclude that he's gay. If he was photographed shirtless hanging out with other guys, then maybe, but the recent pics were from a family vacation while he was surfing in Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 1602/02/2012

[quote]Caling him "the most famous preacher in the world" (or even "one of them") seems like excessive hyperbole at the very least.

I invented the word, sinners.

by Anonymousreply 1702/02/2012

Most of these batshit evangelical homophobes turn out to be gay themselves. Joel Osteen is perhaps the smoothest & smarmiest & oiliest of the bizarro preachers, but he is fooling no one.

Time after time this has proven to be true - and it's no surprise, since no straight man who is secure in his own sexuality needs to expend so much energy denigrating gays.

Ted "Meth Rentboy" Haggard, Larry "Wide Stance" Craig, George "Rentboy Lifting My Luggage" Rekers, Mark "Bizarro" Driscoll ...all of them are gay, and it's only a matter of time before more of these weirdos are exposed for what they really are.

by Anonymousreply 1802/03/2012

r18, don't forget about Bishop Eddie Long

by Anonymousreply 1902/03/2012

When was Driscoll outted as being into the homosex?

by Anonymousreply 2002/03/2012

r15, you are an idiot. Seriously. Well, you have heard of him NOW, dumbass, so shut the hell up.

by Anonymousreply 2102/03/2012

R19, that's KING Eddie Long. He had himself anointed King of Israel the other day, you know.

by Anonymousreply 2202/03/2012

Well aren't you the most pleasant person at the party, R21.

by Anonymousreply 2302/03/2012

I think Osteen is extremely careful. Too much to lose. Surely Haggard and his ilk have served as cautionary tales. I wouldn't be shocked if he goes the confidentiality agreement route. Something is definitely up with that marriage. It seems like more of an arrangement.

by Anonymousreply 2402/03/2012

I remember Celebrity Caterer had a blind item about a gay preacher and it seemed like it was about Olsteen.

by Anonymousreply 2502/03/2012

In a perfect world, he'd be caught in a "loving embrace" with Marcus Bachmann.

by Anonymousreply 2602/03/2012

I miss Celebrity Caterer. Thanks a lot, troll-dar! Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 2702/03/2012

Joel's wife looks mean. Maybe it's the eyebrows.

If I was married to that, I wouldn't cheat on her, either. She looks like she'd chew him up and spit him out, without batting an eyelash.

by Anonymousreply 2802/03/2012

Another photo of the lovely Victoria Osteen. Be afraid. Be very afraid!

by Anonymousreply 2902/03/2012

Victoria pings to high heavens too. She wears a lot of leather and seems like a diesel dyke.

by Anonymousreply 3002/03/2012

Apparently, Joel Osteen's wife likes to hit people! She sounds like a total fucking psycho.

by Anonymousreply 3102/03/2012

"Excessive hyperbole" is redundant.

by Anonymousreply 3202/03/2012

his wife looks like someone that cares a lot about money

by Anonymousreply 3302/03/2012

He's got gayface from here to the airport.

by Anonymousreply 3402/03/2012

and back, R34.

by Anonymousreply 3502/03/2012

Joel Osteen is in desperate need of a good RIMMING! I'd just bet he'd like it so much he'd give up being a preacher man.

by Anonymousreply 3602/03/2012

To me, Driscoll seems like an asshole in such a typically heterosexual way. In his new book, he goes on and on about how upset he was when his wife cut her long hair into a short, "soccer mom" cut that just wasn't sexy to him. Plus, the godawful way he dresses? No. Don't get a gay vibe off him at all.

by Anonymousreply 3802/03/2012

"I am luscious. The homosexuals sin, but they can get to heaven."

by Anonymousreply 4002/03/2012

That hair is so wrong. Mullet? Really? That is why I always assumed she was straight. Then again, she lives in Texas and they are truly stuck in the late '80's.

by Anonymousreply 4102/03/2012

Joel's rear pie eyehole has been resectioned many times by the same surgeon that does Joan River's eyes.

by Anonymousreply 4202/03/2012

dUmpy, you of all people should not attempt to correct English usage. "Hyperbole" is not a statement of superlative, merely of fact. Therefore hyperboles may be compared, and one may be more excessive than others. A hyperbole may be excessive, an "excessive hyperbole."

Now go sniff your tenant's underthings.

by Anonymousreply 4302/03/2012

I live in Houston , Joel Osteen is not stupid , but his followers are !

by Anonymousreply 4402/03/2012

R15 you've probably never heard of him cause his sermons are more sugary than the others who find whats wrong with the country and pass judgment... I'm not saying Osteen is not judgmental but he is more PC and less offending than the others. So he doesn't make the headlines, especially as an enemy of the gays that we must watch out for.

by Anonymousreply 4502/03/2012

Osteen is gayer than a tree full of rainbow lorikeets on Hugh Jackman's verandah.

by Anonymousreply 4602/03/2012

Ewwwww, pasty and dorky. THIS is hot?

And it's not the age thing. I like daddies and know a few 50 year olds that could eat his lunch.

by Anonymousreply 4702/04/2012

R30? Do you even know what a diesel dyke IS?

If Victoria IS a dyke (and I've had that vibe, too), she's femme, femme, femme. And probably a "pillow princess" as well.

by Anonymousreply 4802/04/2012

[quote] "Law & Order" -- whichever one -- did a Joel Osteen-type eppy and made him gay. He was played by Anson Mount.

R9, I immediately thought of that episode when I read the headline of this thread. Anson Mount was so hot in the episode (he's more rugged now since he grew out his hair and beard for his role on AMC's Hell on Wheels).

by Anonymousreply 4902/04/2012

Doesn't Osteen look very much like Ari Melber? I love Ari Melber. He's married, but I wish he were gay.

by Anonymousreply 5002/04/2012

Wow, R29. That's hysterical. She looks like a crazy bitch!

by Anonymousreply 5307/31/2013

My mom was really into evangelical TV. I must agree that Olsteen was not as easy to hate as the other TV preachers because he really didn't come across as overly judgmental like the other ones.

by Anonymousreply 5407/31/2013

Osteen is so gay toddlers can discern it.

by Anonymousreply 5707/31/2013

R57, I remember Mrs. Osteen making a big deal about the fact that she buys lingerie from Victoria's Secret, because her husband loves her to dress-up for bed. I thought it was to encourage Christian ladies to feel sexy for their husbands, and to keep them from straying.

by Anonymousreply 5807/31/2013

Mrs. Osteen is determined to bring the vagina cape back into vogue.

by Anonymousreply 6007/31/2013

R59, How much does Osteen make from his weekly Sunday TV show? Those conferences and lectures aren't cheap either to attend. If he were a true Christian IMHO, he would reserve seats for the poor, or in exchange for volunteering.

by Anonymousreply 6107/31/2013

Sorry forgot to sign off - R69 is R59

by Anonymousreply 6308/02/2013

ugh I mean R62 is R59. sorry again.

by Anonymousreply 6408/02/2013

All it would take would be for some queen to show up at a lawyer's office with a condom, or an ass full of Osteen spermies.

by Anonymousreply 6708/02/2013

he blew me in a bathhouse in the Midwest and swallowed my load. He didn't let me reciprocate. Maybe that's how he makes sure no one gets a sample of him. After he said I was cute and I said the same back to him(it was dark) an he said people tell him he loos like Joel Osteen. He was quite shocked when I said I didn't know who that guy was. However google was my friend when I got home and was shocked that I had a semi famous encounter,

by Anonymousreply 6808/02/2013

I thought CC did something on JO a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 6908/02/2013

Oh, great... straight religious cunts found DL via a search on this guy.

by Anonymousreply 7108/02/2013

R70 you are entitled to your opinion, but I would look and listen carefully, what he's doing and saying and what he ISN'T. They are very well staged performances and the reason is to sell books and dvds. The arena is full of well dressed people giving applause to him and themselves every few minutes. He is smiling, performing relaxed and ever so optimistic teaching. Nothing wrong being optimistic, but is his real optimism?

Never thought he is good looking.

by Anonymousreply 7308/02/2013

R73, Continuing, there is a DL thread questioning who is truly happy and optimistic, versus those that are just good at "faking it," perhaps only temporarily. Granted most try to be around those that don't get really depressed; too many extra problems to deal with otherwise.

Some hope that a belief in God will relieve them of their unhappiness, or at least distract them from stress. That's what Joel Osteen personifies to me. You want the "kool aid" to be healthy for you, or at least not all that bad."

by Anonymousreply 7508/02/2013

I agree r73. And it's interesting to note that the Osteens have many critics in the Christian community claiming that they offer a watered down teaching of scripture, and preach that prosperity is part of the gospel.

Harmless, but won't last for very long.

by Anonymousreply 7608/02/2013

Joel seems a little retarded.

by Anonymousreply 7708/02/2013

Who cares about this Bible thumper? Somebody out Rick Perry, Ted Cruz and Rand Paul.

by Anonymousreply 7908/02/2013

R79, DL IMHO should be aware of anyone that has a large following and why. Osteen has been a regular guest on the talk shows, whenever there's a national tragedy and people seek comfort.

We're trying to determine to what degree he's manufactured vs the real deal. I find most TV preachers so offensive that anyone presenting "Christianity Lite" is a vast improvement.

Others may fantasize or deeply believe that he's deeply closeted; I don't know either way. Are there telling pics of Joel with his wife?

by Anonymousreply 8008/02/2013

[quote] We're trying to determine to what degree he's manufactured vs the real deal.

Define 'Real deal'

By most evangelists opinion, Osteen preaches whatever is politically correct, not the Gospel. What he preaches isn't bad but it's fluffy and almost new age.

by Anonymousreply 8108/03/2013

R81, What an interesting assessment. If Osteen were a typical TV evangelist/preacher, he'd turn off many. He does remind me of what Oprah and Dr. Phil tried to do initially to acquire a following.

Don't forget, for many TV is their only form of entertainment, knowledge and distraction from pain or loneliness. Osteen is generally more uplifting than the news or soaps.

By "real deal," I guess I was referring to Osteen's true motivations. Obviously everyone needs some money to stay on the air. Is he just a marketing genius or is there anything more involved?

by Anonymousreply 8208/03/2013

He isn't an ordained minister and wasnt trained at a seminary; He wanted to get into telecommunications, and be behind camera - but someone had to take over the family business when his father passed.

It has been said "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves." And..." By their fruit you will recognize them."

I'm keeping an eye on their ministry because it is so incredibly huge. Some will argue that - hey, no harm in a little feel good message- but it leads people to think they are getting the Word when they really aren't.

by Anonymousreply 8308/03/2013

R83 He has no formal religious training. He has studied (for some time) in Oral Roberts University, before returning to Houston as the director of tv production for Lakewood Church.

As many leaders of charismatic "movement" he has no theological background and it shows. He has very narrow theological knowledge and he is often illogical. I am afraid many people are attending his church for wrong reasons, mostly money.

I find the link interesting.

by Anonymousreply 8408/03/2013

R84, So while Oprah Winfrey could be seen as promoting "Hollywood gods," some of whom were clearly Scieno cult members, as well as New Age-style feel good authors, with questionable original ideas, Osteen took a different tactic.

Is that wrong? Just go to the library to read his books for free, if you're so motivated.

by Anonymousreply 8508/03/2013

R85 You missed the point.

by Anonymousreply 8608/03/2013

R84, That article says that Osteen is more of a motivational speaker than a true pastor. For example, he doesn't focus on the fear of the "end times." So what? Maybe that's why he has so many followers.

by Anonymousreply 8708/03/2013

R87 But his followers are thinking they are attending a religious ceremony or whatever it is called! That's the point! He is a motivator and there is nothing wrong with it, but he is a leader of a very large church!

by Anonymousreply 8808/03/2013

R83 here.

People often confuse denominations that focus more on fire and brimstone and end times -- with those who follow the message of Jesus Christ. Being a follower of Christ can be tough and its always a balancing act.

The prosperity movement preaches that Gods will is for us to be happy, healthy and rich here and now. Mainstream Christianity teaches that our life on Earth is just a blip in time and that true happiness comes with our eternal life with Him in heaven.

by Anonymousreply 9008/03/2013

Bumped. It was removed from my Watch list.

by Anonymousreply 9108/04/2013

He's not very bright and basically had his job handed to him on a platter by his father. I was forced to listen to him once while waiting in an emergency room in the local hospital.

If it looks like a queen and talks like a queen and wallks like a queen and looks in the mirror twenty times a day like a queen, chances are it's a queen.

And while not threatening hellfire and damnation it was hardly a gay affirming message. It was more of a "methinks the queen doth protest too much."

by Anonymousreply 9208/04/2013

R92, Compared to Oprah Winfrey, Dr. Phil, and Dr. Oz, what do you think of Osteen? You see these are all talk show hosts geared to a certain audience who aren't reading books or necessarily spending a great deal of time researching info and conversing on the internet. Otherwise some would be watching game shows or soaps.

by Anonymousreply 9408/04/2013

Speaking of Bishop Eddie Long, he still has a strong commitment to young boys.

by Anonymousreply 9508/04/2013

As long as they uphold their end of the bargain, he upholds his.

by Anonymousreply 9608/04/2013

R93 watch list = list of threads you have contributed to. Found at the top of your mobile site.

by Anonymousreply 9708/04/2013

There is a cleaner on this thread. Notice how the person changes the subject from joel being gay to how Joel is so uplifting and talks about religion.

by Anonymousreply 9808/04/2013

Yelp reviews:

I had been donating to Lakewood Church since 2006 from Denver, CO where i had lived at the time. I am now relocated and living in Houston, TX and have been here for 3 months now. Have run into some very hard times upon arrival here. Contacted Lakewood Church and told them my situation. Spoke w/Ellie in the benevolence dept. she told me "we can't help you and this is not a bank" and she hung up. Now they didn't have a problem accepting and taking my money for all of these years and they have me on record. I'm done w/them! They are nothing but fakes. PS what i'm in need of is transportation and food but she told me NO.

Second Story:

My brother was a personal security guard for "Pastor" Joel Osteen for a brief bit. On one occasion I rode with him with "security" clearance with Joel in his limousine to his home over by the Galleria.

While at the time I just got a simple grin out of it, it wasn't really out of the normal, other than present company. We had just rode with Oprah, Geraldo and George Foreman to FOX in the same week. But Joel was different. Very cold businessman, in fact one of the only people that I have ever met in my life that looked me in the eye like he could kill me and destroy everything I ever dreamed of.

Joel Osteen was one of the most popular and successful mobsters of modern time that I have ever met and he made Oprah and Geraldo look like innocent children. (Actually Geraldo is a skinny short kid, you would have to see him undressed)...

Joel Osteen was on two cell phones talking about how his "message" could be delivered to a broader audience, and how the hispanic community would be able to be "receptive".

Joel was also on the phone with an attorney talking about how someone uploaded one of his sermons to the Internet. He didn't seem to understand file sharing but it was obvious to us. He was angry and stated that all of his sermons were under "copyright".

Excuse me, but I thought that relaying the "word of God" was for peoples well-being, not for profit and covered by "copyright"....

I was a little surprised that upon entering the gated home where he and Victoria live, I was asked for my ID, logged, regardless of the fact that my brother was his personal guard. I accompanied his "entourage" into the foyer, and what I can not believe to this day, is that they have armed security around the parameter of the home, and inside the front foyer.

We sunk off into the kitchen while waiting for Joel and Victoria to be ready for their trip to the airport, to board their private jet. While in the kitchen there were about 30 staff members, mostly hispanic asking us repeatedly if we were hungry. I finally gave in and tried a plate of fresh scallop ceviche with fresh limes and cilantro with a glass of some white wine that tasted like a Pinot Grigio to me.

Normally my brother does security for government officials and actors, basically people in the spotlight. While this time, I knew whom Joel was, and was aware of this "church" it took a while for it to sink in with me, and realize, 'Wait a second!"

Why does the pastor of a church need armed security via limo from church to home and back?

by Anonymousreply 9908/04/2013

Being rich has nothing to do with Christianity; far from it.

The OT told us what not to do; the NT informs as to what TO do: feed the hungry; clothe the naked; love one's enemy; remember the widow and her last mite; etc.

Americans with money would rather attend mass rallies with their ilk to hear "feel good" blather before their golf game.

by Anonymousreply 10008/04/2013

R99 very interesting. seems humble man with humble life style.

by Anonymousreply 10108/04/2013

Does anyone remember Charles Stanley? When I was very young I would stay up late to watch his sermons. I found his voice soothing.

by Anonymousreply 10208/04/2013

R98, Osteen has a huge and growing following. He's regularly featured in the mainstream media, on talk shows, 60 Minutes, and pap articles, especially when there's a national tragedy.

Don't you think that DL should uncover the truth behind the image, the "real deal?" Part of that is if he's covering up for being closeted which may lead to other covert behaviors. The larger question is if someone can "hide" out of necessity for his career and still be respected because of his charity work.

Then there's the other point of what he really is preaching and why. I've listened to talented motivational speakers, and been positively influenced, even if I'm not of the same religious background. Is that what Osteen really is or is he being subtle about pushing a hidden agenda.

Personally I don't want to be hoodwinked by another Oprah Winfrey into believing someone I respect is one thing when he/she really is quite another, and doesn't have the same morals.

by Anonymousreply 10308/04/2013

R99, R100, R101, Seems like Osteen is a really fine example of the prosperity gospel that he preaches. How much of his income does he give away to charity? Which charities (other than those that try to convert others, which IMHO aren't really a charity) does Osteen support?

I guess the idea of a humble but very smart and observant man/woman, sharing his knowledge about dealing with the disappointments of life, writing a few books and guest lecturing to support himself, is a pipe dream that will never occur. Or at least he/she won't be billed as a religious leader.

by Anonymousreply 10408/04/2013

R99 that's a really interesting story, wow...I'm assuming it's true (you never know with the anonymous internet, no offense)...I've heard of other encounters with Joel, where he was really, really shy and awkward but nice...a friend of mine met him and said he looked scared to talk to the "fans" waiting to meet him after the sermon...but I can believe he's a bit of a cold businessman at this point...

I wonder sometimes if he started out with good intentions, and then the gigantic behemoth his church became corrupted him? A previous poster was right, it's good to keep an eye on the church because they are so huge. I don't know what to think of the staff member who told you they weren't a bank...I did hear Lakewood did a lot after Hurricane Katrina to help people but I don't know the facts...they don't seem to do as much as other big ministries do in the US and Africa, etc. with water wells and schools, etc.

Also, I should say that in his actual sermons, the whole hour+ service, not the edited tv version, he is very bible-centric, but yes, sort of new-age New Testament "God is Love stuff, not "God hates you because you are a sinner."

I will say this in defense of his security - he gets regular death threats from loony-tunes fundies who say he's the devil because he doesn't preach the whole Old Testament "we're all filthy sinners in the eyes of God" stuff...

How was Victoria? Was she a stone cold bitch or was she cool?

by Anonymousreply 10508/04/2013

oh duh, sorry I didn't realize that R99 reposted that.

by Anonymousreply 10608/04/2013

R105, Thank you for supporting my view that we should examine Osteen's motives more closely, and not just question his true sexuality.

Just as the far right has been hijacking the Repub party, I see a trend that extreme fundies have been negatively influencing Christianity. Even if you're a dyed in the wool Democrat and atheist, IMHO you need to be aware of what is happening to society at large.

by Anonymousreply 10708/04/2013

Does anyone know what is up with the huge spinning globe you see behind him on stage? I also think its odd that you don't see a cross anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 10808/04/2013

I can't believe that there's any doubt this guy is living a lie. To me it's just so obvious that he's gay and his wife is as well. Plus I will never believe that he, or anyone else who does what he does, is motivated by anything other than power and greed. So what if his message is the "kinder, gentler" side of Christianity? He just managed to find an open niche in which he could fit and make millions.

by Anonymousreply 11008/04/2013

Joel Osteen is a phony non christian minster. He relies heavily on psychology not on the bible. Diane Sawyer interviewed him and she said to him, I don't understand how you claim to be a christian minster ,yet you rely on psychology and not on the bible.

His father was a true minister and he was the real deal. However, the son is 100% the opposite of his father and it is obvious the son is in it for the money. I have heard his wife is a witch who gets into confrontations with stewardesses etc. when they fly.

by Anonymousreply 11108/04/2013

There is no difference between hIm and David Miscavige or any other person who is ultra rich from a 'religion." They exploit the weak minded into giving up their money to make themselves rich under the guise of a higher moral authority. At least Scientology is more honest about it.

by Anonymousreply 11208/04/2013

Look, most of the people who give their money to many of these fools who are just there for the money aren't all victims. Many people are aware what they are doing and the problem is, they are stupid people who don't read their bibles. If they did read their bibles, you wouldn't have people giving a lot of money to "so called" ministers like Osteen.Have famliy who are born again Christians, and many of their friends are born again Christians and they wouldn't give "so called" minsters like Osteen one penny. They are fully aware what they are and they are not biblical in what they are doing.It's anti biblical for minsters to rake in millions of dollars and live a lavish lifestyles. The apostle Paul didn't do that.

by Anonymousreply 11308/04/2013

R112 Really, where the fuck is Shelley Miss Cabbage then? And all the other people who are slaves for the Scientologists? If Osten were doing that Miss Cabbage is doing he would be fucked royally BUT the Scientoloigists own law enforcement and blackmailed the IRS.

by Anonymousreply 11408/04/2013

R114, I think you are missing R112's point. Scientology threatens people pretty openly and former members have a lot of stories out there. But Osteen has kept everything hidden. None of his entourage or inner circle has come out and accused him of the kind of things Miscavige is accused of. Scientology is honest in that it is pretty straightforward about threatening people.

by Anonymousreply 11608/04/2013

There's a thread on DL inquiring about posters' obsessions. I responded that mine was learning about "the truth" behind the PR lies. I have such mixed feelings hearing Osteen's name; now I know why.

by Anonymousreply 11708/04/2013

Just saw this guy for the first time today. Preaching the Gospel of money and success.

He's a fraud, a mountebank, a charlatan, a Tartuffe, an Elmer Gantry.

And probably gay.

by Anonymousreply 11808/04/2013

R118, Would appreciate it if you could enlighten DL with the specific reasons you've come to your conclusion about Osteen.

What's a "mountebank."

by Anonymousreply 11908/04/2013

The dictionary doesn't bite, R119.

I already explained it: "the Gospel of money and success".

by Anonymousreply 12008/04/2013

I'd love to eat him out.

by Anonymousreply 12108/04/2013

R118, R120, In other words, Osteen uses the "gospel of prosperity" to justify his million dollar lifestyle as a blessing from the Lord.

If he were a true Christian, he'd either be giving the majority of that money away to make a real economic difference in others' lives, such as to shelter the homeless. Or he'd be enabling his followers to be more economically viable, such as through employment services. Is that what you mean?

by Anonymousreply 12208/04/2013

What I mean is, Osteen preaches a God of give-aways and swag.

He's a Capitalist, he's not a Christian.

by Anonymousreply 12308/04/2013

[quote] He's a fraud, a mountebank, a charlatan, a Tartuffe, an Elmer Gantry.

**snort**

by Anonymousreply 12408/04/2013

[quote] [R118], Would appreciate it if you could enlighten DL with the specific reasons you've come to your conclusion about Osteen.

Hi and welcome to page 5 of the thread. Lots of specific and enlightening arguments on previous pages.

by Anonymousreply 12508/04/2013

R125, I've been the one writing most of the comments on this thread, and I've very carefully read all of the responses. The reason I asked a previous poster to elaborate on his statement, that Osteen was a "mountebank," is that I'd never heard the term used in this manner. He/she gave me a brilliant answer.

It's always really bothered me about the "bait and switch" aspects of religion. It's worse than an invite to a free develop your own business seminar.

by Anonymousreply 12608/04/2013

Sorry r126 / r118

Thought I sensed sarcasm in your post. I've been posting on this thread as well.

The Osteens ministry is interesting with its spinning globe of the World at the pulpit, Joel's difficulty in defining the Gospel on talk shows and how they pack thousands upon thousands in that stadium week after week. Sign of the times, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 12708/04/2013

R127, That's why I wanted to continue and expand this thread. As a child I was given a book by Norman Vincent Peale, and other feel-good, positive thinking authors. Is this the new incarnation, along with the benefits of the media exposure? I was told that some TX churches resemble less expensive country clubs, complete with singles meetings, coffee houses, etc.

by Anonymousreply 12908/04/2013

[quote] Are you a Christian, [R127]? I'm just curious. It sounds like you are.

Yes, I am a Christian.

Certain denominations and even individual preachers can be hypocritical and judgemental. But they have nothing to do with the relationship you have with Jesus. There are many wonderful, welcoming churches around. I belong to one.

Anyway, I have to think that the folks that go to see Osteen preach are really hungering for more than the message of earthly prosperity that he preaches and that they tithe.

by Anonymousreply 13008/05/2013

Yeah, I do think you're right about people wanting more than they are getting, especially at these big churches. It is a shame because I still think that there can be a great deal of hope and healing for many people in Jesus.

Thanks for answering.

by Anonymousreply 13108/05/2013

I rebuke this thread!

by Anonymousreply 13208/07/2013

what gay rumours? there are none.

by Anonymousreply 13308/07/2013

hes my boyfriend

by Anonymousreply 13411/11/2013

He was on Jimmy Fallon recently. When they spoke about their wives, I just wonder who do they think they're fooling?

by Anonymousreply 13511/11/2013

I hope he's not a charlatan. My dad died recently and my mom takes comfort from his messages. She is not cynical like us, she is a bit naïve and just sees a nice man and his family.

by Anonymousreply 13611/11/2013

R136 He IS...but he is....your mom has been taken in by a scam artist.

by Anonymousreply 13711/11/2013

Osteen has always pinged to me. I cringe whenever my friends post JO quotes on Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 13811/11/2013

The gospel of Thomas (written out of the Bible) says you should never seek answers in other mortals. Or you end up handing your cash to fake cunts like this dude, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 13911/11/2013

Gay, gay, gay.

by Anonymousreply 14011/11/2013

Keep talking but Joel is enjoying his life . most of you criticising are losers i like him and what he preaches. If i had the kind of money they do i would have a book job, hair transplant lip job , botox name it, think guys think guys

by Anonymousreply 14111/21/2013

R141 Fine, but is it so difficult to accept he is uneducated in theology and his teaching opens many serious questions. Like him, but listen with a critical ear.

by Anonymousreply 14211/21/2013

WHY YOU GET A GAY VIBE FROM OSTEENS: I live in Houston, and know some inside info about Lakewood Church's history, when Joel's late father JOHN OSTEEN ran the show in a traveling carnival-type tent. John Osteen married a woman back in the day when he launched his Lakewood church over 50 +years ago. They had a son named Justin. The mother later committed suicide, leaving John all alone with Justin, who blamed his father for her intentionally leaving this life. Justin was born gay, by the way. I met him and spent time with him, and have been to his house, and met his close personal friends. When John remarried, to Dodie (Joel's mother), she was a nice step mother, but Justin and his father never saw eye-to-eye ever again. They paid Justin a trainload of money to stay away from Houston for decades. When John died, I have no idea what happened, probate/will and estate wise, but I hope that Justin got his fair share of his father's legacy.

by Anonymousreply 14306/18/2014

R143 Father's love? Family ties? Secrets and lies?

by Anonymousreply 14406/18/2014
Need more help? Click Here.