Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Would you consider Julie Andrews career a success?

She seems to have spent the majority of the 1970s - 1990s trying to reclaim the attention she received in the 1960s with no luck.

In the past ten years or so she's transitioned to being some sort of living legend.

by Anonymousreply 10203/06/2013

What a ridiculous question.

by Anonymousreply 101/29/2012

OP, she's an Academy award winning legendary singer actress movie and stage star with one of the most beloved pop sopranos of the 20th century.

But you know all of that.

So why are you asking, as r1 said, such a ridiculous question?

by Anonymousreply 201/29/2012

Op, are you really serious?

by Anonymousreply 301/29/2012

Well, just a minor one.

by Anonymousreply 401/29/2012

Oh, leave OP alone. It's an interesting question.

Aside from Victor/Victoria, nothing she did after the sixties came close to topping her successes in that decade. Of course, the voice issue unfortunately added to that. But she did a lot of work for her husband and those Princess films that while good, certainly didn't add much.

She's a lot like her friend Carol Burnett. Both had an amazing period of superstardom then spent the last few decades doing projects that never really added to it.

by Anonymousreply 501/29/2012

Were those 2 ever lezzie mates? Have heard it many times on the Bel Air circuit.

by Anonymousreply 601/29/2012

I'm not saying that her career has been a failure. It just seems she did a few 2-3 significant films and shows and not much else.

Mary Tyler Moore is another example, she did two television shows that were epic successes, but everything (with the exception of Ordinary People) she has done since has flopped.

by Anonymousreply 701/29/2012

[quote]Oh, leave OP alone. It's an interesting question.

No. No, it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 801/29/2012

Really OP? Because I think she starred in The Boyfriend and was a star at age 19, starring in My Fair Lady in 1956. So you're not counting her early career then?

I'd say she had a good 40 years in showbiz by 1990 but you're right - what a failure.

Julie Andrews /FAIL!

by Anonymousreply 901/29/2012

Most actors do nothing significant in their entire careers.

She won an Oscar and will forever be remembered for two iconic film roles.

Yes. She is a success.

by Anonymousreply 1001/29/2012

I always liked Throughly Modern Millie.

by Anonymousreply 1101/29/2012

What are you smoking, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1201/29/2012

Yes

by Anonymousreply 1301/29/2012

On an inflation-adjusted basis, The Sound of Music is the third highest-grossing film of all time, behind Gone With The Wind and Star Wars.

So, yeah, not too shabby.

by Anonymousreply 1401/29/2012

OP's question reminds me of the old joke about, "So, other than that how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

I mean, she was in 2 of the truly iconic roles of the 1960's almost back to back, after those roles she was in Torn Curtain with Hitchcock, and two other big hits (even if they're mostly forgotten today) Hawaii and Thoroughly Modern Millie.--where was her career going go except down? Sean Connery had the same problem, after you're James Bond what's next? Zardoz?

In Andrews case she was probably screwed because "New Hollywood" came along, and she was about as far from hip and counter culture as a 20-something actress could possibly have been. I seriously doubt she was asked to audition for Barbarella or Rosemary's Baby (although now that I think about it, I like her for that one).

by Anonymousreply 1501/29/2012

Not too shabby:

[quote]By the end of 1967, Andrews was the world's most successful film star. She had appeared in the most-watched television special Cinderella; the biggest Broadway musical of its time, My Fair Lady; the largest-selling long-playing album, the original cast recording of My Fair Lady; the biggest hit in Disney's history, Mary Poppins; the highest grossing movie of 1966, Hawaii; the biggest and second biggest hits in Universal's history, Thoroughly Modern Millie and Torn Curtain; and the biggest in 20th Century Fox's history, The Sound of Music.

by Anonymousreply 1601/29/2012

Her disappointments were her bitter bread.

by Anonymousreply 1701/29/2012

OP does make the good point, though, that before she transitioned to "living legend" at around age 60, she had spent the previous 25 years basically considered a hopelessly outdated has-been who could barely get work. In that whole 25 years, she really only had one good role in a success - VICTOR/VICTORIA (the movie).

I think what changed things around for her were

A) coming back to Broadway in VICTOR/VICTORIA, which, even though the show wasn't good, still had an actual headline-worthy A-level story - "Julie Andrews returns to Broadway in a musical after a 35-year absence!" - that made Andrews a media event again in a way she hadn't been when all she was doing were movies that barely got theatrical releases

and then

B) the botched vocal surgery and announcement that she would never sing again which generated a frenzy of weepy media coverage/worship about the loss of the great treasure of her voice. Never mind that the treasure heard in the news clips (with endless replays of the songs from THE SOUND OF MUSIC) actually hadn't been heard in decades, and by that point in her life, even before the vocal troubles, her voice was a sad shadow of what it was. The narrative was irresistible, and I think that coverage really did push her into the "living legend/national treasure" category where she's been happily ensconced ever since.

by Anonymousreply 1801/30/2012

[quote]seriously doubt she was asked to audition for Barbarella or Rosemary's Baby (although now that I think about it, I like her for that one).

OK, what roles should she have gotten that she didn't get? You're the casting director it's 1967, and you put her in anything your heart desires. What's it gonna be?

(I don't think this will be a long list)

by Anonymousreply 1901/30/2012

Don't forget about The Americanization of Emily (1964) and 10 (1979). She was good in both of those movies. 10 was a fairly big movie.

by Anonymousreply 2001/30/2012

Are you saying you think Julie Andrews was a failure, OP? Or that a reasonable person could possibly argue that she was a failure?

Are you aware of what the word "success" even means? Because it does not mean "unending popularity" or "infinite A-List status". This woman has won an Oscar, a BAFTA, an Emmy and numerous Grammys, been nominated many more times for these awards, the Tony and many others. She was feted at the Kennedy Center a full decade ago.

You are a moron.

by Anonymousreply 2101/30/2012

Her autobiography is very well-written and interesting.

She sang for The Queen as a young girl and described in detail her troubled work relationship with Rex Harrison.

by Anonymousreply 2201/30/2012

Outside of her big successes, she is often very forgettable, which most old-school STARS! (good or bad) are not.

by Anonymousreply 2301/30/2012

I think she would have done a good job as Mother in The Manchurian Candidate. Angela Lansbury was great, but it would have been interesting to see Andrews in that role.

Come to think of it, she may have made a good Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd too. And the Patricia O'Neal role in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Playing against type may have helped her stay relevant.

by Anonymousreply 2401/30/2012

She was offered The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, but turned it down because she thought playing another children's-caregiver role would be a bad career move and that she needed to be diversifying. Maggie Smith then won the Oscar for it.

by Anonymousreply 2501/30/2012

So if being a working actor from the age of about 10 until today, with starring roles in the West End, Broadway, in blockbuster all-time films, selling out concerts and headlining a TV series does not make one's career a success, pray tell, OP, what does?

by Anonymousreply 2601/30/2012

Andrews, pffffft! Nothing compared to me!

by Anonymousreply 2701/30/2012

Who is Julie Andrews?

by Anonymousreply 2801/30/2012

She had her appendix out a LOT when she was a drinker.

by Anonymousreply 2901/31/2012

r24

She tried (SOB, Duet For One). Didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 3001/31/2012

[quote]Outside of her big successes, she is often very forgettable, which most old-school STARS! (good or bad) are not.

Maybe you could give us examples here of who you're thinking of. I don't think I really agree. How is she less memorable in "Thoroughly Modern Millie" or "Star!" (both of which were not big successes) compared to other actors like Irene Dunne or Ginger Rogers (two other big female musical stars) in their less successful roles?

by Anonymousreply 3101/31/2012

OP, most people only have so much to give. Even Lucy struck gold 3 times, but Life With Lucy was a bust.

Julie is a success, case closed.

by Anonymousreply 3201/31/2012

Shoulda been offered the Norma role in SUNSET BLVD. instead of doing Victor/V on broadway.

by Anonymousreply 3301/31/2012

OP = Julie Andrews trolling for compliments.

She feels much better now.

by Anonymousreply 3401/31/2012

She didn't do a lot of work in the 70's because she was raising a family. Not all actors are completely career driven.

by Anonymousreply 3501/31/2012

How about that Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr?

They had some really good success in the 60s and early 70s, but their music has kind of sucked since then.

by Anonymousreply 3601/31/2012

r31

The most recent one that pops into mind is Noel Coward's Relative Values, where she played Colin Firth's mother. Compare her performance to, say, one of The Dames (Maggie, Diana, Judi), all of whom have played such sophisticated comedy roles onscreen. I had similar thoughts about Torn Curtain.

When she doesn't sing, Andrews doesn't stand out as a performer.

I've heard she has a wicked sense of humour but I think the "English rose" image (I know Maria wasn't English, but..) has inhibited her, not just in the roles she's been able to get, but in how she presents herself.

by Anonymousreply 3701/31/2012

How will Julie sleep at night knowing that some stupid fags on DL think she hasn't been successful?

Sorry things were such a disappointment after My Fair Lady (what was that musical about?), Camelot, Mary Poppins (isn't that a stage show?), The Sound of Music (did she sing the old nun?). I mean she was only in one of the classic musicals of all-time and in two iconic movie roles, plus a few others here and there.

She's hanging her head in shame! Maybe the next children's book she writes with her daughter will be about the shame she feels after reading about her self on DL: "What Have You Done Lately, Mary Pooping In Her Panties?"

by Anonymousreply 3801/31/2012

She tried too hard to lose the goody two shoes image she had and tried to be sexy in her films. But she's not sexy. Her topless scene in SOB was wood-killing.

by Anonymousreply 3901/31/2012

OP, Could you describe your career? You know, just for comparison...

by Anonymousreply 4001/31/2012

please forgive me for posting off topic but r9 and r38, My Fair Lady was NOT Julie Andrews, it was Audrey Hepburn.

excuse the stereotype but, how did that get screwed up on a gay site??

by Anonymousreply 4201/31/2012

If you are able to survive in show business for half a century without once slipping into obscurity, you are an unquestionable success

by Anonymousreply 4301/31/2012

in danger of what exactly r44 ?

by Anonymousreply 4501/31/2012

No. Most people only think of three movies when they think of Julie and those are The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, and Victor/Victoria. Oh, and that shitty one she did with Anne Hathaway.

Four movies that people can recall in a 50 year period = mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 4601/31/2012

Oooh, this one is getting the eldergays worked up into a LATHER!

R42, you better clear your cookies, hon!

by Anonymousreply 4701/31/2012

r42, hello...

by Anonymousreply 4801/31/2012

I'll spell it out for you r42, you fucking fool.

Before My Fair Lady was a movie, it was a Broadway Musical and I tremendous success

Julie Andrews was the original Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady on Broadway and in London. Her performance was legendary and catapulted her to stardom.

It was an enormous scandal when she was replaced by a dubbed Audrey Hepburn for the film version.

Outrage over this perceived travesty almost certainly helped Andrews win the Oscar for Mary Poppins that year over Audrey Hepburn in MFL.

This story is central to the legends of both Hepburn and Andrews and for you to scold others when you dont even know the basics is laughable.

by Anonymousreply 4901/31/2012

A success. Every entertainment career has its up and downs. Probably more downs. She did things most performers would die to have achieved.

by Anonymousreply 5001/31/2012

R42 has taken my breathe away. I am without words. Help me baby Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 5101/31/2012

Ok ok, MY BAD. I humbly apologize for my ignorance and ask only that my hag badge be suspended and not completely revoked.

by Anonymousreply 5201/31/2012

Pussycat, all is forgiven.

by Anonymousreply 5301/31/2012

The OP is right - Poppins and Sound of Music were as big as you could get, but the family audience of the 60s only wanted her in those films, they didnt rush to see Hawaii, Star!, Darling Lili etc - she was surely box office poison then - I liked Star! for its camp value and loved Thoroughly Modern Millie, but that was it for me with Julie until the first half of Victor/Victoria. She is ok now in minor roles like in that Coward adaptation Relative Values and those Princess Diary films where she capitalised on her legend and how much we liked her. But the late 60s onward belonged to Streisand.....

That London appearance of hers a few back, a comback concert caused headlines as she barely sang in it, leaving the singing to others!

by Anonymousreply 5401/31/2012

[quote]R42 has taken my breathe away.

Oh, dear...

by Anonymousreply 5501/31/2012

10 wasnt a 'Julie Andrews movie' - it was all about Dudley and Bo - her presence was immaterial.

Blake's satire SOB which had her baring her tits smacked of desperation on both their parts, even if the satire was intentional. I think his movies with her generally did her a dis-service. What happened to the genius of Breakfast of Tiffanys, Days of Wine and Roses, the first Pink Panther ?

by Anonymousreply 5601/31/2012

R24, she would've been waaaaaay too young for the Manchurian Candidate. Lansbury was able to pull it off because she was a better actress and, well, not as pretty.

by Anonymousreply 5701/31/2012

The fact that no one has even mentioned the film DARLING LILI shows what a forgettable flop it truly was. Directed by Blake Edwards on a runaway budget of $25 million in 1968 (but not released until 1970) this WWI-era spy romance with music-hall songs, battling bi-planes and Rock Hudson to boot took in a mere $5 million. Coming hot on the heels of the STAR! debacle, it officially proved the end of the "Julie Andrews equals Box Office Gold" equation.

by Anonymousreply 5802/01/2012

[quote] the family audience of the 60s only wanted her in those films,

I don't believe that's true. The fact is, Julie Andrews is blandly attractive, has no sex appeal at all, has a lovely voice and no .... oomph.

Look at the women who were popular at the time Andrews was doing SoM and Poppins. Britt Eklund, Monica Vitti, Sophia Loren, Ann Margaret, Raquel Welch, Ursula Andress, Elke Summer, Natalie Wood, Claudette Cardinale. They were either blonde sex kittens or smoldering brunettes. And Julie Andrews was this short-haired, open-faced, unsexy woman. It wasn't that people demanded she play in family films; she just wasn't suited for much else. When she tried to be sexy, as in SOB, the whole thing went kerplunk.

Darling Lili, Star! and Thorougly Modern Millie weren't very good movies. That's not the fault of movie audiences. Movie musicals were falling out of favor as the war in Vietnam, the youth movement and civil rights were heating up in the US.

by Anonymousreply 5902/01/2012

You know, it was Andrews' choice to stop working for most of the seventies. She wanted to devote herself to her marriage and her kids. There was simply no bigger movie star on earth for s couple of years there in the 1960s, and she was move than ready to cede that acclaim to someone else.

by Anonymousreply 6002/01/2012

R59, Thoroughly Modern Millie may not be a good movie but it was a smash hit when it opened. Perhaps it was the movie that made large numbers of people decide they'd seen enough of Julie Andrews for a while.

by Anonymousreply 6102/01/2012

I think this is an excellent description of Julie's career as of late.

by Anonymousreply 6202/01/2012

r58 - do pay attention. I mentioned Darling Lili at r54!

Hitch's Torn Curtain was another disaster really, I didnt even want to see it then - she and Newman had no chemistry but Hitch was saddled with them, he thought he would have a huge hit with the 2 big box office names of the time!

by Anonymousreply 6302/01/2012

Ah bur r59 - at that time, Vietnam etc, was when Streisand had taken over with Funny Girl, Hello Dolly and On A Clear Day - Funny Girl was an enormous hit and the following two didnt do too bad due to Barbra's popularity, she wisely then went into comedies like Owl & Pussycat and Whats Up Doc.

by Anonymousreply 6402/01/2012

One of my favorite non-musical Julie movies is the Tamarind Seed with Omar Shariff.

It was a Cold War spy thriller with Julie falling for a Russian diplomat while on holiday in Barbados. Their romance comes to an end when they return to London and find they are on opposite side of geopolitical lines.

Came out in 1974, directed by Blake. Not a hit at the box office, but still an enjoyable movie.

by Anonymousreply 6502/01/2012

Did I miss anyone mentioning her tv shows and specials? I remember we watched her show when it was on. One episode had the real Maria von Trapp as a guest.

by Anonymousreply 6602/01/2012

"The OP is right - Poppins and Sound of Music were as big as you could get, but the family audience of the 60s only wanted her in those films, they didnt rush to see Hawaii, Star!, Darling Lili etc - she was surely box office poison then"

"Hawaii" was the highest grossing movie of 1966, so Andrews not only starred in but headlined the top grossing films of 1964 ("Mary Poppins"), 1965 ("The Sound of Music"), and 1966. How many people can claim that for their 1st, 3rd, and 5th films, respectively? Not to mention that "Tom Curtain" (also 1966 and her 4th film) was a success, and "Music" became the highest grossing movie of all time and it and "Poppins" became instant classics. 1967 was another great year for her. "Thoroughly Modern Millie" was one of the top 10 grossing films that year.

1968 was when, coincidentally, her "Star!" started to dim, when that film bombed. Really her first failure but then again it took 'til her 7th film. Some actors start with one big hit and then make flops, or make a couple flops until they hit it big. For the first 4 years of her film career (1964-68), Andrews was plucked from being just a regional Broadway star to becoming the world's most successful film star. Of course she couldn't sustain her immense popularity and success (who can?), but she accomplished more in 4 years than most actors do in a lifetime career.

by Anonymousreply 6702/01/2012

Julie Andrews was a success. She is a great actress and she seems to be a really good person

She is so sweet too!

by Anonymousreply 6812/18/2012

Boys, boys -- you have no class!

I think she's hot. She's the infamous librarian type -- demure in the streets, a tiger in the sheets.

by Anonymousreply 6912/18/2012

Julie is a positive gal.

by Anonymousreply 7012/18/2012

Eliza Doolittle and Oscar winner Mary Poppins in 1965.

by Anonymousreply 7112/27/2012

She's been a living legend basically since 1965.

by Anonymousreply 7212/27/2012

Julie had an uneven career. Massive hits with Mary Poppins and Sound of Music but almost everything else she made until Victor/Victoria was a flop. Star! and Darling Lili were massive and embarrassing flops. I love her but honestly she's known for a few big roles for her film career and that's it.

by Anonymousreply 7312/27/2012

OP, your description could be used for Liza also. Except the living legend part...

by Anonymousreply 7412/27/2012

I guess no one here saw the Princess Diaries.

by Anonymousreply 7512/27/2012

Complete failure.

by Anonymousreply 7612/27/2012

OP, don't forget she did voiceover work for 3 Shrek movies. That should count for something.

by Anonymousreply 7712/27/2012

Two of my favorite movies ever are Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music, in large part due to Julie Andrews' stellar performances. She is an icon.

by Anonymousreply 7812/27/2012

Her career reminds me of Brad Renfro's, except for the terrible end of course.

by Anonymousreply 7912/27/2012

Nobody who has seen 'The Sound of Music' can forget it. It's so beautiful and positive and kinda painful in a tender way. Memories of another time.

by Anonymousreply 8012/27/2012

Who?

by Anonymousreply 8112/27/2012

She had a few iconic roles. Not everyone can claim that.

And look how cute she was here. Starting at about the halfway part of this clip.

by Anonymousreply 8212/27/2012

as you sit on your couch contributing absolutely nothing to this world and you want to imply Julie Andrews career isn't successful enough because she slowed down in the 80's and 90's. All careers slow down, everyone has a hay day. Why don't you stop criticizing one of the most beloved singers and actresses of all time and tell us what you're doing with your pathetic life.

by Anonymousreply 8303/05/2013

Every time I see this thread title, I laugh. What a preposterous statement! Thanks r83, you hit the nail on the head.

by Anonymousreply 8403/05/2013

She's a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 8503/05/2013

Did anybody like "S.O.B."? I found it completely unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 8603/05/2013

But she showed her BEWBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8703/05/2013

Yes she did. And that won't be added to her best of reels.

by Anonymousreply 8803/05/2013

Gay or straight, she is a legend. Would that all you people considering her a failure can even get a job as a gopher on a movie set.

by Anonymousreply 8903/05/2013

I like Julie Andrews. She has a positive persona.

by Anonymousreply 9003/05/2013

I always wondered why they didn't have another Carol Burnett/Julie Andrews special and then I saw the four-minute mark here and was like, "Oh yeah, that's why."

by Anonymousreply 9103/05/2013

Julie Andrews' career is a lucky one. She was blessed with an adult voice at a young age( much like Judy Garland). That voice and that doe-eyed look made her attractive to the likes of Rogers and Hammerstein. She played an iconic stage role in " My Fair Lady" - one that has not been repeated til this day. Her Mary Poppins has a working class air that was lacking in the books. The Sound of Music would not be a favorite til this day if not for Andrews' performance. And as Emily she had an excellent chemistry with James Garner which continued in Victor/ Victoria. That film is flawed because Blake Edwards was a pussy about the kiss. And don't forget almost half the country watched her as Cinderella on television.

But as Torn Curtain, Star, Darling Lili and S.O.B. point out she is no Meryl Streep. She is just a lucky English girl who's voice and charm took her a long way. So successful yes. Could she have made it without her voice ? No.

I have always liked a little film she did called Duet for One. She plays a concert violinist with MS. That film contains her best acting work.

by Anonymousreply 9203/05/2013

There is more to the entertainment world than film.

by Anonymousreply 9303/05/2013

No one in the history of the universe has had enunciation like Julie Andrews.

OP, I'd like to hear which words you've enunciated better than Julie has. Answer: NONE.

by Anonymousreply 9403/05/2013

[quote]But as Torn Curtain, Star, Darling Lili and S.O.B. point out she is no Meryl Streep. She is just a lucky English girl who's voice and charm took her a long way. So successful yes. Could she have made it without her voice ? No.

This sums it up. Julie was very lucky to have "Mary Poppins" and "The Sound of Music" at a time when musicals were beginning to fade in Hollywood.

But it wasn't the forties and you couldn't make a career from musicals alone like Garland or Ann Miller or Gene Kelly etc.

Julie is a very limited actress and most of her non musical movies are forgotten today.

It is hilarious how she doesn't even try to disguise her RP accent in Thoroughly Modern Millie.

Still her voice was beautiful at it's peak.

by Anonymousreply 9503/05/2013

[quote]No one in the history of the universe has had enunciation like Julie Andrews.

[quote]OP, I'd like to hear which words you've enunciated better than Julie has. Answer: NONE.

That was partly her problem: she was an actress who couldn't disguise her accent.

Although I agree, after Stephanie Beacham, Andrews has the nicest talking voice I've ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 9603/05/2013

Medley:

by Anonymousreply 9703/05/2013

R93, thank you, that was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 9803/05/2013

You have to remember, Andrews was a household name after "My Fair Lady" opened on B'way. And that was 1956. (57 years ago!)

The best selling album of 1956 was not Elvis or Pat Boone. It was the cast album of "My Fair Lady" of which (with respect to Rex Harrison) Julie Andrews was the star.

10 years later and she's still a star having just made "Sound of Music".

Those 10 years alone were a full, rich career.

After "Star" bombed in 1968, Julie Andrews was basically finished. Times had changed ...the Julie Andrews/Doris Day type of image was just not cool.

by Anonymousreply 9903/05/2013

People under 25 are more aware of Julie Andrews than you realize, r28; most of them grew up watching "Mary Poppins" and "The Sound of Music". I know, "those movies are 50 years old!", but there's also the "Princes Diaries" movies, the "Eloise At the Plaza" movies, and the "Shrek" movies. She also narrated "Enchanted" and will probably narrate the sequel as well.

by Anonymousreply 10003/05/2013

Who?

by Anonymousreply 10103/06/2013

I'm too young to care about the OP's question (though I have seen Sound of Music and love it), but that link at R93 was absolutely great.

by Anonymousreply 10203/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.