Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Today's Special

Anyone remember this trippy mid-80s kids show about a dept. store worker, a puppet security guard and mouse, and a mannequin that came alive after store hours? Endless fun watching this as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 2810/10/2013

Jeff Hyslop, the "mannequin", has turned into a hott silver-haired daddy.

by Anonymousreply 101/29/2012

I watched it in college (shut up! we were high) and remember there being an interracial romance between the mannequin and the female clerk, which was nice. Wasn't it a Canadian show?

by Anonymousreply 201/29/2012

Yep, it was a Canadian production, R2. I remember thinking back then that I had a crush on Jody. Now, looking back, I realize that I was too young to appreciate the awesomeness that was Jeff Hyslop's tight butt.

by Anonymousreply 301/29/2012

Holy shit, I had totally forgotten about this show! Thanks for the flashback, OP.

by Anonymousreply 401/29/2012

My first crush was on Jeff the mannequin. I was only four, but I recall wondering if he had "boy parts" or was smooth like a Ken doll.

by Anonymousreply 501/29/2012

Ur welcome, R4!

LOL R5. I guess that when he was in mannequin form, he was Ken Doll-smooth, but the minute he turned real, the twig and berries appeared.

by Anonymousreply 601/29/2012

is Jeff Hyslop gay? He always pinged to me. Used to be a great dancer and had a nice ass. Went on to play the Phantom in the Phantom of the Opera in Canada's production of the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical.

by Anonymousreply 701/29/2012

Nerene Virgin ran for a seat in the Ontario Legislature as a Liberal a few years ago for Premier Dalton McGuinty and almost won.

by Anonymousreply 901/29/2012

Cool info, R9! I was always fascinated by her last name (LOL). I remember a Chex Snack Mix commercial she did in the 80s, and maybe one other TV film she was in, but that was pretty much all I remember her for.

by Anonymousreply 1001/29/2012

Nerene Virgin has done a lot of things. She also was a news anchor on CBC Newsworld for a few years.

by Anonymousreply 1101/29/2012

The mouse always pinged for me.

by Anonymousreply 1201/29/2012

Totally remember this show. It was one of those shows that even as a child I found a little dumb and uninteresting - and yet I still watched it every single morning of the summer on Nickelodeon.

by Anonymousreply 1301/29/2012

Oh, the golden oldies of Nick Jr in the 80s. I lived for Today's Special and Sharon, Lois & Bram's Elephant Show.

by Anonymousreply 1401/29/2012

Anyone remember this? Those bugs on the fence annoyed the hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 1501/29/2012

Pack it up and put it in boxes!

by Anonymousreply 1601/29/2012

I used to love that show...did Jeff and Jodie ever fuck?

by Anonymousreply 1701/29/2012

I'm sure Jodie enjoyed Jeff's wood every once and a while, R17.

by Anonymousreply 1801/29/2012

You know what else is good is Tattooed Teenagers From Beverly Hills. Or was it Bel Air? Anyway it's like the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers mixed in with Saved By the Bell.

by Anonymousreply 1901/29/2012

Jeff Hyslop is an iconic Canadian actor. In addition to playing the Phantom in Toronto´s phantom of the opera, he did Molina in Kiss of the Spider Woman on broadway opposite Chita Rivera, was an early replacement in the original production of A Chorus Line, and dances in the the movie version of Jesus Christ Superstar

by Anonymousreply 2001/30/2012

I'd blocked this out. I always hated when the woman sang---she was always flat.

by Anonymousreply 2101/30/2012

Today's Special, You Can't Do That on Television and Out of Control were my favorites.

Pinwheel was an annoyance that got in the way, but I watched it anyway.

Canadian TV rocked the fucking house in the early- to mid- 80s.

I seem to remember a Nickelodeon show with people in dance leotards tumbling around a set that looked a little like a boat — with net riggings and maybe a mast (?) Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

by Anonymousreply 2201/30/2012

Diz from "Out of Control" was one of my earliest gay diva-worshiping experiences! She was hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 2301/30/2012

Holy shit!! I've always wondered what this was, or if this was something of a fever dream from when I was a kid! I think this was one of the very first shows I ever saw. I wonder why I thought this was on MTV?

by Anonymousreply 2410/07/2013

Mannequins coming alive reminds me of a "Twilight Zone" episode.

by Anonymousreply 2510/07/2013

When I was a kid, I was weirdly obsessed with mannequins coming to life, which is why I loved Today's Special, Mannequin and Mannequin 2, and the "After Hours" episode of Twilight Zone.

Don't know why...

by Anonymousreply 2610/07/2013

OMG, this was my show when I was a kid! I wrote to PBS and got a poster which I still have. Anyone here also watch Zoobilee Zoo? That was another weird one! You know youre weird too when you have a crush on a furry. Whazzat!

by Anonymousreply 2710/07/2013

I always hated the Picture Page segments that Nick would air after the show. Even as 6 year old, I just hated Bill Cosby and his mugging.

BTW, there is a new book out called SLIMED, which is a history of Nickelodeon. Might be an interesting read.

by Anonymousreply 2810/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!