Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

People with Bad Breath

How can people with bad breath be so completely oblivious to how horrible the odor is? I work with a guy who nobody likes to talk to face-to-face because his breath smells so bad. I know of other people, mostly coffee drinkers, who I have to breath out as they exhale, because I don't want to smell their nasty breath. Is brushing one's teeth/tongue and gargling twice a day really so difficult? I'm even more amazed when people with bad breath are in relationships. Who would want to kiss someone with a rank odor coming from their mouth?

Another thread claims this is common with Eastern European men (which I believe, because in Bel Ami films the guys often have white tongues from the bacteria build up).

by Anonymousreply 8403/15/2015

You can't smell your own breath. Your body is used to it.

So unless someone else tells them, they're bound to be clueless.

by Anonymousreply 101/28/2012

I work with a therapist whose breath could peel the paint off the wall. He's very successful but I always wonder how his patients stand it.

by Anonymousreply 201/28/2012

Could be he hasn't the $ to get his teeth cleaned. Or just ignorant. Maybe on some kind of stink meds. Or he could be sick with an incurable disease. or...

by Anonymousreply 301/28/2012

Why does it have to be an 'incurable' disease? Mary!

by Anonymousreply 401/28/2012

I have a friend with bad breath and unfortunately he always gets really close when he talks. I'm always backing away.

Also there's the stink - I'm not sure if it's bad breath or coming from the pores - that some people get after eating onions and garlic. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with dental hygiene; perhaps it's the way some people metabolize their food.

by Anonymousreply 501/28/2012

Lots of medications - especially anti-depressants cause a big reduction of saliva. And it's hard to do much about it. Brushing the teeth and using mouthwash only lasts until the mouth is dry again. This is the biggest cause of bad breath. These people may be taking care of their teeth and mouth better than you!

by Anonymousreply 701/28/2012

Ive found a decent test for your own breath is to lick the back of your hand, then wait about 30 seconds or so, and then smell the back of your hand.

by Anonymousreply 801/28/2012

I get bad breath from acid reflux. No amount of brushing or flossing is going to make the refluxing go away.

by Anonymousreply 1101/28/2012

I actually sent one of those anonymous online messages to someone with horrible halitosis. (my consignment shop owner/dealer!) Similar to R2, I was struck by how someone can depend on clients for a livelihood yet expel such an evil odor in their very faces.

I think it helped, at least the odor was not as bad when I saw her a month later.

by Anonymousreply 1301/28/2012

I met a certain celebrity in the fashion world just a few months ago and the first thing I noticed when I started talking to him was his dragon breath! I couldn't believe that someone who is obsessed with style/clothes/looks would overlook the smell of their breath. And it wasn't the kind of breath that you have after eating something garlic or spicy, this was breath that smelled like morning breath...only it was evening.

And no I'm not telling who it was because besides that he was a really nice guy and I don't want to embarass him; I just wish someone would drop the hint to him. If I would've had a mint, I would have offered him one.

by Anonymousreply 1401/28/2012

Some people have tonsil stones and don't know it.

by Anonymousreply 1501/28/2012

OP, I have to wonder if you're talking about the same guy I know. Worked with him on a project last fall. Good looking guy, but whoa! I've stuck my tongue up assholes that smelled better than this guys breath.

And it wasn't even a matter of being too close... the smell wafted a good three feet away when he talked to others and I happened to be standing near by. I can't imagine even having to sleep next to that.

Many people have commented on it, but no one I know of has said anything to him. I kind of feel sorry for the guy, but then, I can't understand how he can't be aware of it.

R1 I disagree. I can tell when my mouth could use a freshening, which is usually after eating something with onions or spices.

by Anonymousreply 1701/28/2012

[quote] Also, I don't think it's possible to be more obsessive about my oral hygiene than I already am.

Which speaks volumes about you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1901/28/2012

I don't drink soda or alcohol nor do I eat junk food. I do like spicy food and have had to cut it out of my life--though occasionally I indulge. My triggers aren't just junk foods, they can be onion, garlic, acidic foods, etc. I have screwed up lower and upper esophageal spincter muscles which results in refluxing all the way into and past my throat. If those muscles relax, I reflux and it doesn't always have to be about acid. It could be pepsin and whatever else is in my stomach.

by Anonymousreply 2101/29/2012

The best way to check your breath is to lick a spoon or scrap it against your tongue, then leave it for 20 minutes, then smell it.

by Anonymousreply 2201/29/2012

Dieting can also cause bad breath

by Anonymousreply 2301/29/2012

R18, how would nicotine "stored up in muscle tissue" exude through your pores in a steam room? Your skin is what is sweating, not your muscles. And if you quit smoking years ago you would have sweated it all out by then.

by Anonymousreply 2401/29/2012

What r15 said. I hate those mutherfuckers. I check the folds in the back of my throat daily to make sure that there are no tonsil stones. I think that is the #1 cause of bad breath because most people have no idea what they are and they are seriously foul smelling. #2 would be people not brushing their tongue.

by Anonymousreply 2501/29/2012

What I hate too is when one tries to remedy this situation by offering a mint or a piece of gum, as you have one too, and the person goes, "WHY?! ARE YOU SAYING I HAVE BAD BREATH??!!!"

People crazy.

by Anonymousreply 2601/29/2012

Eeeeeww, R25. Do you go to a doctor or dentist to get them out? The removal looks painful.

by Anonymousreply 2701/29/2012

Try talking up close to someone who's doing Atkins!

by Anonymousreply 2801/29/2012

R25, your opinion is not based on fact. Do some research on the most common causes of bad breath - tonsil stones are not the "#1" cause. The odor from tonsil stones are contained within the stone itself.

by Anonymousreply 2901/29/2012

Post-nasal drip is a huge culprit, and unfortunately, it's not easy to fix in many cases.

by Anonymousreply 3001/29/2012

Drinking water helps tremendously.

by Anonymousreply 3101/29/2012

I do - have all my life. I always have gum or mints on hand. Brush and floss twice a day and keep a brush and toothpaste in my desk drawer as well.

For about the past year I keep a gallon of water at my desk and make a goal to drink it all by the end of the day. Easier in the summer not as much in the winter. I've noticed it has helped keep my breath more in line and I imagine it has to do with the increase in fluids.

by Anonymousreply 3201/29/2012

Dry mouth leads to bad breath no matter how much water you drink. Tooth decay!

by Anonymousreply 3301/29/2012

What r29, are you a dentist or something? Why don't you post your research. Does it matter if the smell is the stone itself? They still can make your breath (collectively) horrible. That was my opinion. They might not be the #1 cause of bad breath. But again, in my opinion, they are really overlooked.

I have yet to see a piece of literature addressing tonsil stones. They are not a part of a standard dental check up because dentists make more money on teeth. I think most people have them, because they are just a byproduct of the tonsils doing what they are supposed to do.

by Anonymousreply 3401/29/2012

R25/34, you said tonsil stones are the #1 cause of bad breath. Not true - that was all I was pointing out. They may contribute to halitosis, yes. You seem to fail to comprehend your original post.

by Anonymousreply 3601/29/2012

I had major issues with bad breath that I wasn't even aware of until a fuckbuddy not so gently pointed it out to me, lol.

I got a mouthwash called ProFresh which really, REALLY helped, plus I started scraping my tongue as a part of my oral care regimen. You wouldn't believe how much crap gets built up there and that's where a lot of the bad breath problems start.

by Anonymousreply 3701/29/2012

Not all problems with halitosis (Bad breath) is related to poor dental hygene. Here is an excellent article about the problem on WebMD. Hope this helps.

by Anonymousreply 3801/29/2012

Damn, r25, that video made me gag.

by Anonymousreply 3901/29/2012

r1, you can tell.

R11, always carry mints. Does that help?

by Anonymousreply 4001/29/2012

[quote]I check the folds in the back of my throat daily to make sure that there are no tonsil stones.

Some of you, I think, have bizarre mental illnesses.

by Anonymousreply 4201/29/2012

[quote] Some of you, I think, have bizarre mental illnesses

This is just dawning on you now?

by Anonymousreply 4301/29/2012

[quote] toxins and things like nicotine do get stored in muscle and fat, and then are released during periods of dieting and exercise.

Link please, to a reputable scientific study.

by Anonymousreply 4401/29/2012

Some of you people are evidently diarrhea garglers.

by Anonymousreply 4801/29/2012

Who are you calling "you people" ?!

by Anonymousreply 4901/29/2012

Lactic acid is released through the muscles into the bloodstream and it is metabolized quickly (within one hour)through the liver and the kidneys and peed out. Lactic acid doesn't seep from your muscles up to your pores, you dimwits.

by Anonymousreply 5001/29/2012

No "toxins" are stored in the muscles for years and released through the dermis. If your muscles have toxins in them (like lactic acid) they need to release the toxins fast or you will know it.

by Anonymousreply 5101/29/2012

It's a toxin when it builds up in your muscles, dim bulb.

by Anonymousreply 5301/29/2012

Back to bad breath... that Listerine Whitening pre-brush rinse works pretty well. It's actually flavored hydrogen peroxide, so it foams up and kills bacteria and gets in places brushing doesn't. Just be careful not to let it get towards the back of your tongue or in your throat, as it'll make you gag as it foams up (even if you have no gag reflex).

But some bad-breath has nothing to do with oral hygene. If you have an illness, it can make itself known via your breath. Ditto some medications, and many foods. The stench comes up from your lungs, so no amount of brushing or rinsing or gargling will help.

by Anonymousreply 5401/29/2012

What's a polite way to tell someone they have bad breath?

by Anonymousreply 5509/03/2013

Had one experience that really shocked, it was years ago, I met a guy online and when he came to kiss me, the smell was so strong, but so strong, that I kept avoiding his face during all the activity. I tryed to make my best, like kissing his face, ears, necks, sucking his cock. I think it ran well. But he had licked my body all over and when he left, the smell was terrible (poor guy, he was nice) that I immediatelly went to shower.

some halitosis comes from intestinal issues. It's not just about brushing and flossing.

by Anonymousreply 5609/03/2013

scraping your tongue helps a lot

by Anonymousreply 5909/03/2013

I've noticed that people have really bad breath when THEY DON'T BRUSH THEIR TEETH

by Anonymousreply 6009/03/2013

I have done the spoon test, and it always turns out smelly, so I worry that I have bad breath and may not know it. The front of my tongue is healthy and pink, but the back is pale and bumpy and gross-looking, and I can't seem to make it go away no matter how much tongue scraping I do. Advice?

by Anonymousreply 6109/03/2013

Thanks for the advice, but I simply don't have time to swill coconut oil for 20 minutes a day. Anyone have a simpler solution?

by Anonymousreply 6309/03/2013

Is it cocunut oil liquid form or the glew like white hard stuff?

by Anonymousreply 6409/03/2013

Yes, R61, you have a B-vitamin deficiency. Eat more foods high in B-vitamins and take a probiotic.

by Anonymousreply 6509/03/2013

Thanks R65. Any recommendations for a good probiotic? Also, I should add that doing a baking soda rinse temporarily relieves the smell. Not sure if that alters your diagnosis at all...

by Anonymousreply 6609/04/2013

[quote]I know of other people, mostly coffee drinkers, who I have to breath out as they exhale

Can't you just avoid those people, OP? And spend the time that you save working on your grammar?

by Anonymousreply 6709/04/2013

Apparently I was one of the ones with chronic bad breath. Not because of not washing or gargling, it's because I produce tons of stomach acid. Tons and it makes my breath foul.

I'm now on Dexilant and my breath is never bad. I had an ulcer due to gastritis, not H. Pylori. I don't have the H Pylori bacteria but gastritis and acid reflux? Yes.

So, if you DO have acid reflux you might be on your way to getting an ulcer, besides your awful breath.

by Anonymousreply 6809/04/2013

Dear Lord in Heaven!

by Anonymousreply 6909/04/2013

r41 So will a tiny pebble. I remember guys in basic training, when we had to run, would pop a pebble in their mouths to stimulate saliva. Much easier than trying to find a cherry pit off-season. I suppose an olive pit would work. So drink up those martinis, girls.

by Anonymousreply 7009/04/2013

If nicotone were stored in your muscle, then you wouldn't need to smoke after you had a sufficient store built up. How preposterous, to say that the muscles store nicotine... The elimination half-life of nicotine is two hours.

by Anonymousreply 7209/04/2013

r73, that is so cruel

by Anonymousreply 7409/04/2013

Thanks R65! I started taking Swanson Chewable Oral Probiotic, and it is working!

by Anonymousreply 7609/12/2013

I have been doing the oil pulling with the coconut oil, there really is something to it.

by Anonymousreply 7709/12/2013

I have a co-worker with horrendous breath and he always wants to be in your face while talking! It's disgusting and I'm not quite sure how his girlfriend can even stand to kiss him.

I'm also amazed by people who actually have black gums between their teeth. Is it really that hard to floss or use Listerine?

by Anonymousreply 7904/30/2014

My boss had awful bad breath. Also when I was involved with this one married guy, he was not clean.he did not clean his anus very good I could smell fecal matter...what a turnoff.

by Anonymousreply 8004/30/2014

Fact - some people have a higher propensity to get bad breath than others. I am one of those people. Since being told (at 12) by a friend that I have bad breath, I have tried EVERYTHING (tongue scraping (3 times a day)/tonsil washing/giving up dairy/smoking /alcohol/coffee & lost more) - I have been to several dentists/hygenists who say my teeth/gums are all fine - I have even consulted doctors.

I totally understand why normal people react the way they do- it is so easy for a normal person to fix a bit of bad breath (brush your teeth/have some chewing gum), but there is a real lack of understanding about real bad breath - people commit suicide from this: imagine you know you have bad breath (people make comments & have even told you). Imagine you have done EVERYTHING dentists/doctors say you should do & it hasnt helped. Imagine everytime you speak to someone, you are wary of this so you dont feel you can go out anymore. And now imagine that the whole world doesnt believe this is a real problem and just thinks you are dirty and unhygenic - what would you do?

by Anonymousreply 8103/15/2015

Would chlorophyll pills do any good?

Over the years I've HAD to tell several people about their offensive breath(one being my PCP) and they were all extremely grateful for the heads-up. You don't have to go into reams of helps/cures either. Just a "I know I'd want someone to tell me if I had bad breath, so I'm telling you that you need to look into doing something about yours." Most of them cleaned up their act rather quickly, and every one came to me for ideas on what to do, if simple brushing/flossing/gargling didn't do the trick.

by Anonymousreply 8203/15/2015

R81, try Applecider vinegar and water twice and water twice a day.

by Anonymousreply 8303/15/2015

I'm so paranoid about having bad breath that I rarely close talk and hold my breath (breathing through my nose gently) when I have to do it.

Is Therabreath helpful?

by Anonymousreply 8403/15/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!