Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Has anyone tried using reusable cloth toilet paper?

The idea isn't really that different than cloth diapers. It does seem to save a lot of money and is better for the environment. Since going green is a big initiative in 2012, I really want to try this. To the people who have made the switch, what was it like? Were there any issues that I should know about before I commit to this? What kind of cloths would work best for this purpose? I do realize that the cost of all the water and electricity used by the washing machine to wash these cloths would cut into some of the savings. That's why I'm not opposed to handwashing (as long as it's with ANTI-bacterial soap! Haha). I love TLC for all these money-saving tips!

by Anonymousreply 9811/20/2012

I seem to be first. Someone needs to find this Green monster and kill it before the entire world is a raving madhouse of stink and frugality.

by Anonymousreply 101/27/2012

She saves all of $240 a year on TP?? How much does she spend in energy costs washing and drying those nasty things? It's gross. Who the hell wants to touch something that has skidmarks all over it, even when it's been washed? And what about the smell? Fraus. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 201/27/2012

R1 doesn't recycle.

by Anonymousreply 301/27/2012

I could only stomach 25 seconds of this nutcase. So, she leaves a wastebasket in her bathroom filled with shit-stained strips of cloth that everyone in the household wiped their poop chutes with, smelling up the whole house with floating bacteria being inhaled. How is this NOT a health issue? What will these freaks do when faced with old age and incontinence?

Fucking freaks.

by Anonymousreply 401/27/2012

$240 is a LOT of money, R2. Would you just flush $240 down the toilet? Are you rich or something?

by Anonymousreply 501/27/2012

Everything you buy is a lot when you multiply by a year. Don't do it. Flush.

by Anonymousreply 601/27/2012

There are just some costs associated with living. Even the little kid seemed to think there was something wrong with this.

by Anonymousreply 701/27/2012

Fucking horrible. Get this nasty cunt back to medevial times where she belongs! UGH!

by Anonymousreply 801/27/2012

$240 is a small price to pay to keep your marriage intact. I don't even want to look at my own shit stains, let alone my significant other's.

by Anonymousreply 901/27/2012

might as well just go third world and use your hand

by Anonymousreply 1001/27/2012

Scattroll.

by Anonymousreply 1101/27/2012

Do you know how much Tide costs? A lot more than that.

by Anonymousreply 1201/27/2012

Here's another cheapskate story. A lady friend of mine was seeing a guy who wouldn't take her out at all. For her birthday he took her to a Salvation Army store and told her to pick out anything she wanted. Their dates consisted of hanging out at her house or his house and he never once took her out to dinner or anything else. He was also very insistent on trying to get her in bed with him, which she refused and is glad about it now.

The guy is horny as hell and on the prowl again but doesn't realize you have to spend a little to get a little.

by Anonymousreply 1301/27/2012

[quote]It does seem to save a lot of money and is better for the environment.

Fucking insane, first that someone would use $240 worth of toilet paper a year and second worrying about the environment as a guise for being batshit crazy.

A case of 36 rolls of Scott toilet paper with 1000 sheets per roll costs just $27.08, which means one would have to use 8 cases of 36 rolls of 1000-sheet per roll toilet paper in a year to equal $240 -- or 288 rolls or 288,000 sheets of toilet paper.

In my household of 2, a dozen rolls would last a year easily.

What the fuck are these fucking nuts doing that they need more than 1.25 rolls of toilet paper a day?

by Anonymousreply 1401/27/2012

R14 It's actually .79 rolls of toilet paper a day, which doesn't seem incredibly far-fetched for a family of three. Maybe a bit, but not by much. And there is no WAY you personally only use 6 rolls of TP per year. Eww!!

by Anonymousreply 1501/27/2012

I use 6 rolls of toilet paper a month just for cleaning up spooge.

by Anonymousreply 1601/27/2012

Women wipe when they pee.

Just sayin'...

by Anonymousreply 1701/27/2012

I use a waterpik. I think the tip with brush is the best one for getting all the crinkles clean. I also have a water vacuum to dry after the waterpik. That's a hello kitty waterpik, of course.

by Anonymousreply 1801/27/2012

What a bunch of Marys. It's no more disgusting than using cloth diapers and having a diaper Genie.

by Anonymousreply 1901/27/2012

But it's baby poop, R19, so it's adorable!

by Anonymousreply 2001/27/2012

There was another thread about this. Someone said it was a gimmick by the family to get on TV and that it's not something they really do away from the cameras.

by Anonymousreply 2101/27/2012

For Christ's sake just go to a public shithouse and steal the paper.

by Anonymousreply 2201/27/2012

When you're re-using cloth as shit-rags, it's time to turn in your membership to society.

by Anonymousreply 2301/27/2012

I just pull down my pants and scoot across the rug.

by Anonymousreply 2401/27/2012

There is no way gay men would go for this but, I bet lesbians would do it.

by Anonymousreply 2501/27/2012

[quote]In my household of 2, a dozen rolls would last a year easily.

That sounds like a lovely household.

by Anonymousreply 2601/27/2012

At the end when the kid holds up the shit stained wash cloth and says "Its dirty" and mom says "Its okay it is clean" .... I wanted to vomit.

by Anonymousreply 2701/27/2012

OMG!

It's a slippery slope...what next?

240 a year in TP???? No way. Some people can go through the TP, you know them, the perpetual toilet cloggers.

by Anonymousreply 2801/27/2012

SNL couldn't make a parody commercial any better.

Fucking nasty.

by Anonymousreply 2901/28/2012

Okay, here's a serious answer: I've never done it, but had a friend in upstate NY who did it. She also was using cloth diapers and said the "Family Cloth" product was no big deal to wash with her diapers. They were made of velour, and had a little bag to hold them until she was ready to wash.

But take it a step further, please: Make a cheap, $50 bidet with parts you buy at a hardware store (basically you hook up a sprayer to your toilet's intake pipe), for cleaning up after sex or toileting. Only then do you use your cloth wipes, so it's not terribly messy (you already sprayed your personal parts clean, right?). This is what my friend did and it sounds interesting. I do want to do the bidet part of it for extra hygiene - have never gotten around to it. You can get instructions for the cheap bidet at pottypail.com

As for cost of using cloth, you are trading the use of water / electricity for cutting down trees. It costs way more to cut down trees than to use water (true environmental costs, not simple TP or laundering costs). If you ever have a choice to use water or paper, choose water for the least environmental impact.

by Anonymousreply 3001/28/2012

Most sensible people steal toilet paper. There's no reason to pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 3101/28/2012

I agree r 31, I take a roll from various bathrooms all the time, why pay it.

by Anonymousreply 3201/28/2012

No, R31, most sensible people make enough money not to have to steal toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 3301/28/2012

r33, no one said anything about [italic]having[/italic] to steal TP. It's a matter of shifting those finances elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 3401/28/2012

This is BEYOND trifling. Ewwwww!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3501/28/2012

R34 Out of curiosity, are you Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 3601/28/2012

lOL R24

by Anonymousreply 3701/28/2012

I ran out of TP at my first apartment and had to cut up old t-shirts for a week. I flushed the raglettes, though.

by Anonymousreply 3801/28/2012

Here's a thought: use TP made out of RECYCLED paper

The thought of a bucket of urine stained or poop-stained cloths is too gross to think about, especially come laundry day. I would consider "going green" in other ways rather than go this route. Ugh

by Anonymousreply 3901/28/2012

She ought to be bitch slapped and arrested. She's contaminating the municipal waste water system with fecal matter. Unlike the sewage system they're not designed for such.

by Anonymousreply 4001/28/2012

It's way more cost effective to simply not poop. Ever think of that?

by Anonymousreply 4101/28/2012

[quote]She ought to be bitch slapped and arrested. She's contaminating the municipal waste water system with fecal matter. Unlike the sewage system they're not designed for such.

Not to mention she's also contaminating the laundromat's washers. She said buying her own washing machine is a waste of money so she's basically lugging all these shit-stained cloths to the laundromat every week.

by Anonymousreply 4201/28/2012

She pays to use a laundromat? Now I know she's stupid as well as crazy. You can buy a cheap, used washing machine and line dry your skid rags.You can't tell me that wouldn't be less expensive over the long run.

by Anonymousreply 4301/28/2012

[quote] and line dry your skid rags

Now I know why some municipalities frown on clothes lines.

by Anonymousreply 4401/28/2012

[quote]I ran out of TP at my first apartment and had to cut up old t-shirts for a week. I flushed the raglettes, though.

r38, did you get evicted for clogging the plumbing?

by Anonymousreply 4501/28/2012

r30 that's the obvious answer. Using a bidet reduces the amount of TP you need in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 4601/28/2012

R45, I'm short and I have a tiny, tidy sphincter. The rags were small. Yes, I washed my hands.

by Anonymousreply 4701/28/2012

R14, you are sicker than OP.

by Anonymousreply 4801/28/2012

The nice thing about the cloth stuff is that you don't necessarily have to wash it between uses.

by Anonymousreply 4901/28/2012

That's what I was going to say. They have those things for babies (to put disposable diapers AND ones for dirty cloth diapers) they also have those types of bins for dirty pet litter. I could definitely understand someone doing that for no.1 (wipe, rinse, put in air tight bin) but no. 2? I'll pass. I use baby wipes, same thing there, flush for no. 2 and throw away for no. 1 (so not to unnecessarily tax the system).

by Anonymousreply 5001/28/2012

[quote]floating bacteria being inhaled.

Oy, another germaphobe who fails to realize he just rubbed shit all over his own asshole and didn't die from the germs and bacteria! Do any of you understand how you bodies even work!?

by Anonymousreply 5101/28/2012

People defending this didn't notice she wasn't using a diaper genie? She was using a plain old bathroom garbage can. As for diapers? You have one baby using them. With this, you're asking your entire family (and people who come to your house) to use communal shit-stained rags to wipe. That's nasty.

by Anonymousreply 5201/28/2012

That couple does not seem completely idiotic, so I wonder what the motivation is to go to this extreme. She needs to get a life. If this is her way of feeling clever or special, she needs to use more imagination. Some fraus think extreme thriftiness is power. The husband is a dope if he is being told to wipe his ass with the cute little cloth pieces and actually complying. Now all his friends can watch the video and make fun of him and his wussiness. The child folding skid marked ass-wipers is just sad.

by Anonymousreply 5301/28/2012

Why hold your ass cheeks as wide as possible when you shit, that way you only have to use minimal toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 5401/28/2012

[quote]That couple does not seem completely idiotic, so I wonder what the motivation is to go to this extreme.

To get on TV. It's all a show for the camera, and the network knows they don't normally do this but doesn't care because, hey, it got people talking about their programming, didn't it?

by Anonymousreply 5501/28/2012

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 5601/28/2012

I just bought a pack of 30 Double Rolls ( which they say is 60 "regular" rolls) on sale for $12.99. Normal price at supermarkets/grocery stores is $19.99. $240/yr is a lot of TP. We also use freshmates, which cost around $4 per 100, and don't even come close to spending that much on TP for 4 people.

by Anonymousreply 5701/28/2012

What, no corn cobs?

No Sears catalogue?

Piker.

by Anonymousreply 5801/28/2012

Have a friend who was a household servant in France (30 years ago). All the domestic help were expected to use ripped-up catalogues for TP. Not a joke. Of course, they all stole TP from their employers instead.

And we think we have it rough.

by Anonymousreply 5901/31/2012

Who gives a fuck about cutting down trees anyway?

They are crops, just like corn, with longer maturation cycles.

by Anonymousreply 6001/31/2012

I'm grossed out by the notion of using a public washer that's just had a load of shitty cloths put through it.

I'm grateful to have my own laundry machines and not have to deal with the filthy public.

by Anonymousreply 6101/31/2012

R60, the longer maturation cycle is exactly the problem. We could use as much carbon as we wished, so long as we replenished it at the rate we took it. The problem is carbon (in the form of trees) can't replenish at the rates we take it. If one thinks outside of immediate personal needs and desires and looks down the road a bit, it's a big problem.

Not that I'm saying we should all move to cloth rags. But simple, cheap bidets? Yes.

by Anonymousreply 6201/31/2012

Remember when Cheryl Crowe went on her bus tour and did a video for Oprah or some TV show saying that people should try to only use one square of toilet paper at a time? Why have we become such a micromanaged society that we now have rock stars telling us how to wipe our ass?

by Anonymousreply 6301/31/2012

enjoy the dysentery OP

by Anonymousreply 6401/31/2012

I love nature. I believe in protecting the environment, but I'd sooner take a chainsaw to the Brazilian Rainforest than give up TP.

by Anonymousreply 6501/31/2012

R62, what the hell are you talking about? There are more trees now in the U.S. than there were 400 years ago.

Water your ass all you want. You sound seriously goofy.

by Anonymousreply 6601/31/2012

Alright! I admit it. I was the one who wiped their ass on the towels!

by Anonymousreply 6701/31/2012

R60/R66 has it right, we are NOT running out of trees in North America!

Trees are a crop, like any other. When a crop is harvested, replacements are re-planted; meanwhile, the same crop is also maturing elsewhere, to ensure a steady supply.

So many of you green-freaks are clueless. Recycling does more harm than good, trees are NOT in short supply, bottled water is a gimmick, etc etc. Edumacate yourselves, fools!

And as for the thread topic, I can guarantee that this dumb bitch wastes far more money and energy on her disgusting cloth strips than she would by using propr TP!

by Anonymousreply 6801/31/2012

[quote]In my household of 2, a dozen rolls would last a year easily.

Obviously, you are both veryvery gay men.

Women have to WIPE when they pee, dumbass. This consumes TP.

Plus we go on the rag on a monthly basis, which requires even more cleaning than usual.

PLUS, if a person is out of the home most of the day (working, shopping, whatever), then they will use public facilities for their needs. When I'm at home all day, I go through a lot more TP than usual.

With that all said, I still find it improbable that you only use about 6 rolls of TP a year! Do you hop from the shitter straight into the shower, bypassing TP entirely? Or are your poops perfectly neat and clean every single time?

by Anonymousreply 6901/31/2012

[quote]Or are your poops perfectly neat and clean every single time?

Why wouldn't they be? Aren't dogs and cats' poops like that? They never have to wipe.

by Anonymousreply 7001/31/2012

R70 scoots across the carpet and then licks himself clean.

What I really want to know is where so many of you are stealing all of this toilet paper from?

by Anonymousreply 7101/31/2012

Wrong r70.

When I was young, my mom made us wipe our dogs ass after he crapped before he could come back inside the house. There was definitely shit on his ass.

by Anonymousreply 7201/31/2012

R72, if that's true then how come no one ever wipes their dogs ass after they shit? People have their dogs jump right in their car and sit on the passager sent after they just shit. Are you saying that passager seat is contaminated now? What about cats who sit on the kitchen table? So there's shit on my table now?

by Anonymousreply 7301/31/2012

[quote]I use a waterpik. I think the tip with brush is the best one for getting all the crinkles clean.

Please tell me you DON'T mean the toothbrush type Waterpik!

by Anonymousreply 7401/31/2012

R73 It's certainly possible. Occasionally, my cats will leave a light brown stain when they do their famous sitting position. Just means they hadn't yet licked themselves clean. And we all know cats lick their butts. Sometimes their poop is a little more moist than usual and there is some residue. If I see it before they clean themselves, I grab a baby wet wipe and do the job for them. They hate it but I'm not putting up with poop stains on the carpet or furniture.

by Anonymousreply 7501/31/2012

--They are lazy or grossed out maybe. You'll have to ask people that have pets why they don't wipe their asses.

--Yes, the passenger seat probably has dog shit on it now.

--Cats on the kitchen table are disgusting.

--Yes there is cat shit on your kitchen table.

by Anonymousreply 7601/31/2012

Many people the world over clean their bums with a little jug of water and their left hand. That would be more hygienic (gets the area very clean and you wash your hands afterwards as normal) and cheaper and less wasteful.

by Anonymousreply 7701/31/2012

We left-handed people find their stigmatization of our sort repugnant, R77.

And running your bare hand over your poo-laden butt? Ew.

by Anonymousreply 7801/31/2012

R77, that is most certainly NOT "more hygienic"!

I'm sure most of us, as adults, have accidentally touched human shit with our bare hands, whether by changing a diaper or slipping while wiping our own ass.

You can NOT get that smell off your skin for HOURS afterwards, no matter how much soap you use.

You think that using a simple jug of water could clean shit off your hand? Disgusting!

by Anonymousreply 7901/31/2012

[quote]You can NOT get that smell off your skin for HOURS afterwards, no matter how much soap you use.[/quote]

Essential Oil of Poo?

If this happens to you, wash your hands with soap. Then go to the kitchen and use cooking oil (any kind) on your skin and rub it in well, like you would with lotion. The pungent scent lingers more with dry skinned hands - it sinks into the pores more because the hand doesn't have enough of its own oils. After you've rubbed in the oil, go wash with soap again. It will reduce or completely remove the scent.

Talking about this is gross, but if I can help fewer hands to smell like poop, then fine.

by Anonymousreply 8001/31/2012

Dogs and cats have a different fecal release, unlike us, they tend to be cleaner. No leftover debris, but don't kid yourselves, my dog leaves spots on the carpet occasionally, I tell myself it is dirt from the paw, but I know that it really is a smudged dingle-berry!

by Anonymousreply 8101/31/2012

Thanks for the advice, R80. I'll have to try that next time I get something foul on my skin.

This reminds me, I used to have a coworker who occasionally stunk like shit. I'd always assumed that he was a clumsy wiper and had old poo smell on his hands...until one day, when I had the grave misfortune of realising it was NOT his hands that reeked, but his breath!

by Anonymousreply 8302/01/2012

[quote]Sometimes their poop is a little more moist than usual and there is some residue.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaarf

by Anonymousreply 8402/01/2012

A dog or cat will carry and spread microscopic (and sometimes not so microscopic) fecal matter everywhere (but then so do humans).

by Anonymousreply 8502/01/2012

[quote]What about all the rimmers, how long does it take to get that poop taste out of your mouths?

Drink the cooking oil and it will be gone in no time.

by Anonymousreply 8602/01/2012

No one who has ever done laundry in their life would ask this question.

by Anonymousreply 8702/01/2012

I've been using cloth toilet paper for almost a year now and do agree that it's better. Now the issue is getting the guests to use it. I'm hosting Thanksgiving weekend this year and I'm not about to go buy toilet paper just for that. I've read a simple demo is all people need to get the point?

by Anonymousreply 8811/20/2012

With toilet paper available in recycled paper form, this sounds gross, unsanitary & disgusting !! More e coli to be spread around, how wonderful

by Anonymousreply 8911/20/2012

Don't they do that at MichFest? I seem to remember they also carry their own human waste around in biodegradsble bags.

by Anonymousreply 9011/20/2012

[quote] I've read a simple demo is all people need to get the point.

Yes, make a festive holiday tablescape and display your turkey bird lovingly stuffed with shit rags. Your guests will get the hint.

by Anonymousreply 9111/20/2012

Tho thread is hilarious 🐕💩😷

by Anonymousreply 9211/20/2012

this thread is so FUNNY!!

"Why hold your ass cheeks as wide as possible when you shit, that way you only have to use minimal toilet paper." LOL

My roommate used to steal toilet paper all the time, she is a WASP. she used to work for the MTA in NY and does a lot of charity work, she steals them from restaurants, I'm not too sure.

by Anonymousreply 9311/20/2012

🐕💨

by Anonymousreply 9411/20/2012

Crying with laughter at the poster whose mom made him wipe the dog's ass.

by Anonymousreply 9511/20/2012

"I shouldn't have to go into debt to buy toilet paper." Bwahahahaha.

by Anonymousreply 9611/20/2012

I concur with the person who mentioned keeping a jug next to the toilet and just rinsing off the shit with your left hand. I started using this method when I was posted in Africa and South Asia. Its very convenient and I continued to use it after my return stateside, except that I use toilet paper to dry afterwards. At this point, i dont feel clean if i just use TP to wipe. And no, your hands don't smell afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 9711/20/2012

I mean, your hands don't smell as long as you wash with soap and water.

by Anonymousreply 9811/20/2012
Need more help? Click Here.