Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

New York City and its Motherfucking Assholes

Why is 60% of your time in New York City spent navigating around assholes?

Why are there so many unhappy people here who try to make you unhappy too?

by Anonymousreply 6607/28/2014

It thier obliviousness that drives me insane. Yesterday some freak exited the subway car, head down, focused on her phone, and proceeded to v-e-r-y slowly go up the stairs, holding up approximately 20-30 people behind her... all because she was texting someone.

by Anonymousreply 201/26/2012

Thank you A. Hayseed, we aren't so bad. Except for the freaks that text while doing pretty much anything.

by Anonymousreply 301/26/2012

[quote]Why is 60% of your time in New York City spent navigating around assholes?

They're called tourists. Please be nice to them.

by Anonymousreply 401/26/2012

Yes, R4, no native New Yorker could ever be considered an asshole, not even Roy Cohn or Bernie Madoff.

by Anonymousreply 501/26/2012

Most of lower Manhattan is overrun with arrogant fratboy assholes.

by Anonymousreply 601/26/2012

New Yorkers (like sharks) must keep moving or they will die.

That's the "energy" everyone talks about.

Happy people are either new to the city, doing well in their careers, or born with money.

Unhappy people have been here at least a decade and are still barely making ends meet.

They are stalled in their careers, or failed to become the "star" they were sure they were designed to be , and are made bitter by having watched several of their (former) friends rocket past them with success.

by Anonymousreply 701/26/2012

New York is a filty rat infested city full of miserable people who think they are better than everybody else. I like my sunshine and I would never trade it for an overcrowded sewer.

by Anonymousreply 801/26/2012

R8 is L.A.

by Anonymousreply 901/26/2012

A Hayseed is a masturbating New Yorker posing as someone else.

by Anonymousreply 1001/26/2012

You know, it's actually kind of funny...my dad and a lot of people on his side of the family are native New Yorkers. I was born and raised in the midwest, but I've found New York City to be actually pretty friendly. You can tell the locals can get annoyed at tourists, but I never really understood why people think New Yorkers are so much meaner than citizens of other large cities.

I live in DC and if you want to meet some motherfucking assholes, come on down! Hell hath no fury like a loser who defines himself by where he went to school and what he does for a living.

by Anonymousreply 1101/26/2012

I've only been to NYC a few times, but the times that I've been there, I thought the people were really friendly.

If you want to see motherfucking assholes, come to this hellhole called Chicago. Nothing but a bunch of bitches and stuckup people.

by Anonymousreply 1201/26/2012

Native New Yorkers are super friendly and down to earth, and original. Its the transplant hipsters and fratboy assholes that sometimes give us a bad name, but most are not originally from New York.

by Anonymousreply 1301/26/2012

The OCD NYC Troll is back.

by Anonymousreply 1401/26/2012

Pet owners should be forced to eat their animals or send them to the starving countries.

by Anonymousreply 1502/02/2013

Why ANYBODY would subject themselves to that lifestyle is beyond me.

The pool boi mentioned once that he had visited there for a few days. I remember he seemed most impressed with the bagels and lox and that green area in the city.

by Anonymousreply 1602/02/2013

[quote]I live in DC and if you want to meet some motherfucking assholes, come on down!

The truth.

by Anonymousreply 1702/02/2013

There are no New Yorkers in New York anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1802/02/2013

DC is the asshole capital

by Anonymousreply 1902/02/2013

I agree R1. I didn't find anyone rude when I visited. Helpful with directions even when seemingly in a hurry.

by Anonymousreply 2002/02/2013

OP = B&T

by Anonymousreply 2102/02/2013

I go to NYC every year for 2-3 weeks and while NYCers are not "super" friendly, they will stop whatever they are doing to help w/directions, etc. They may be abrupt but they do help. They don't greet you on the sidewalk and scurry around you if you're slow but they do apologize when they bump you.

The only NYCers who were awful were the workers at stores like Century 21, NYC gift shops, or Daffys. Low rent stores, I know. This was covered in another DL thread.

When I return home to the Land of Entrapment, it takes me a while to get used to people I don't know smiling at me or saying good morning. I also have to slow down.

by Anonymousreply 2202/02/2013

I think people from outside of the Northeast, and NY particularly confuse rudeness with directness. New York and New England to generalize are very to the point. Happy to help, but I don't need to know every detail. If you have a question, please ask it. Happy to help, but I don't need the flourishes.

I've lived in the South, and boy what a culture shock. Thank you for being so nice, but you didn't answer my question. If I rephrase it, do you think it will work this time? It ultimately grew on me, but I was stunned.

by Anonymousreply 2302/02/2013

Just yesterday, I was walking on a fairly crowded sidewalk in midtown Manhattan. I was walking at my usual quick pace, but at one point I had to slow down a little because the people in front of me did so. That's when some woman who was tailgating me bumped into me TWICE from behind and said "EXCUSE ME!" in a very nasty, impatient tone. I said, "Yes, excuse you." And then a not very pleasant exchange of words occurred...

by Anonymousreply 2402/02/2013

R2 Toronto is full of those self-absorbed cunts, oblivious to anything and anyone around them.

by Anonymousreply 2502/02/2013

You want to see assholes, go visit Shitcago! They make New Yorkers look like Mary Poppins.

by Anonymousreply 2602/02/2013

Really r26? I know people eho live in chicago and never heard it was especially rude.

by Anonymousreply 2702/03/2013

d

by Anonymousreply 2808/24/2013

We don't have time for you, OP! We native New Yorkers need our cronuts NOW.

by Anonymousreply 2908/24/2013

Why do the flyovers obsess over NYC. Just stay home. You don't like us, our city, the way we act. JUST STAY HOME.

by Anonymousreply 3008/26/2013

R30, apparently the thread was started by a New Yorker talking shit about tourists. If it weren't for tourists, your hellhole would be another Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 3108/26/2013

r31, New York has far too many white people for it to ever turn into a shithole like Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 3208/26/2013

R1 has a point. We were never meant to live at that population density. It's too stressful, especially the way many people have to live.

by Anonymousreply 3308/26/2013

Have you BEEN to LA ???

by Anonymousreply 3408/27/2013

Just tap them with your umbrella and say, "Move it along, toots."

by Anonymousreply 3508/27/2013

I'm a native New Yorker and if someone needs help getting from point A to point B, I'm more than happy to help - done it lots of times.

If some jackass has time to stand in line for hours just for over-priced, deep fried dough, then they have time to help someone out with directions.

by Anonymousreply 3608/27/2013

[quote]What a dumbass you all am.

you are a dumb ass r37, completely.

by Anonymousreply 3908/27/2013

I agree with the posters who've said that DC is worse. It is. The douchebaggery here is astonishing.

by Anonymousreply 4008/27/2013

NYC is a tiny percentage of America. It is also aberrant of the average place and lifestyle of Americans. New Yorkers fail to realize this.

by Anonymousreply 4109/01/2013

Hmm... this is an old thread but I'm from New York, like born AND raised there and I'd like to point out the vast majority of people IN NYC moved there from somewhere else, Manhattan and Brooklyn especially. Having said that it's very self-involved college students, career people, and horrible, horrible 'artists' and worse ... actors. These people believe, and may very well be sadly, the cream of the crop in their small town square state origins and when they get to the big apple are utterly convinced they are living destiny, and after a few years are New YORKers damn it. You all know who you are, you're the fucking assholes. Podunk poser cunts.

by Anonymousreply 4209/24/2013

I agree with R19 but NYC has more assholes than I care to deal with

by Anonymousreply 4309/24/2013

Yes, New York life is such an ADVENTURE!!

---

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — What was supposed to be a pleasant movie night turned into a violent attack and beating for a gay couple in Chelsea.

As CBS 2’s Jessica Schneider reported, police on Wednesday were searching for several men wanted in the assault, which took place around midnight Tuesday night, shortly after the couple left the Chelsea Bowtie Cinemas on 23rd Street between Seventh and Eighth avenues.

The two victims — Peter Notman and Michael Felenchak — told their side of the story to reporters, CBS 2’s Steve Langford reported.

They said they were holding hands as they turned onto 24th Street, when they were approached by two other men who yelled anti-gay slurs, according to police. Felenchak, 27, and Notman, 53, were then attacked by two young men, as well as four others who joined in, they added.

“It was six of them against the two of us,” Notman said, “typical of the cowards they are.”

by Anonymousreply 4409/24/2013

"New York, New York, it's a HELL of a town..."

--

A transgender woman in New York has died after being beaten by a group of men who attacked her and yelled gay slurs.

The victim, 21-year-old Islan Nettles, died Thursday in a Harlem hospital when she was taken off life support five days following the attack.

The attacker, a 20-year-old man named Paris Wilson, was arrested for assault but now that the victim has died he may face murder charges.

The attack on Nettles was the latest in a spate of bias incidents this year in New York and a total of 68 have been reported so far this year, showing a significant increase from the 54 that were reported in all of last year.

Nettles and a friend, another transgender woman, were out Saturday evening in Harlem when they ran into a group of men and one pounced, punching Nettles in the face, police said.

The New York Post reports that the attack took place after Wilson began flirting with Nettles, before he realized she was transgendered.

by Anonymousreply 4509/24/2013

"If you can MAKE it here, you'll make it ANY where..."

--

A nightlife promoter was assaulted in lower Manhattan on Monday night, the same day a rally against anti-LGBT violence was held further uptown. The brutal beating, still under investigation, occurred at Avenue D and East Fourth Street in the East Village neighborhood.

According to NightlifeGay.com, the victim was Dan Contarino, a former promoter of a popular Friday night party at Shampoo nightclub in Philadelphia. Witnesses who eventually came to the victim's aid are reporting that the attacker was kicking him while screaming antigay slurs. Contarino posted a photo (pictured) of his injuries on his Facebook timeline along with the following status updates:

"THANKS FOR CALLS.... GAY BASHED LAST NITE.... back from small surgery.... CHEST XRAYS THIS AM.... suspect still at large... police n media waiting to interview me... U JUST WANNA CRY N MOVE ON…."

As well as, "UGH…. THIS IS JUST AS BRUTAL AS the ATTACK…. 3 hours… 8 detective interviews… now waiting for Hate Crimes Unit main interview… THEN BACK TO HOSPITAL…."

The beating is the sixth in a string of seperate local attacks, and comes only days after a gay man, Mark Carson, was murdered in the nearby Greenwich Village neighborhood. Contarino's attack is still under investiation by the NYPD, who have yet to determine it to be a hate crime.

Reports have also come in of a gay couple, 41 and 42, who were also attacked in the late hours last night in the SoHo neighborhood of Manhattan. According to NBC New York:

"The couple was walking on Broadway between Prince and Houston streets at about 5 a.m. when two men started yelling antigay remarks in English and Spanish. The victims are Hispanic. The men were both punched, and one suffered an eye injury, sources said. Police said two men, 32 and 33, were arrested and face a charge of assault as a hate crime."

by Anonymousreply 4609/24/2013

"I'm in a New york state of miiiiiind..."

--

In what may be the latest in a disturbing series of crimes allegedly targeting New York's gay community, a man was fatally shot in the head May 18 while walking through the West Village.

As NBC is reporting, local law enforcement officials are investigating the case as a hate crime after learning the suspect, who was arrested just blocks from the scene, allegedly hurled a series of anti-gay insults at the 32-year-old victim before shooting him.

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly told the Associated Press that the suspect referred to the victim, who has been identified in the media only as a Brooklyn resident, and his companion as "gay wrestlers" after encountering them on the street shortly after midnight.

The suspect then reportedly shot the victim, who was later pronounced dead at a nearby hospital, in the face.

“This fully looks to be a hate crime; a bias crime,” Kelly is quoted by CBS as saying. “There were no words that would aggravate the situation that were spoken by the victims. They did not know the confronter."

by Anonymousreply 4709/24/2013

NYC has nearly NO real crime

by Anonymousreply 4809/24/2013

How DARE you, OP!

by Anonymousreply 4909/26/2013

(video from today)-Hipster homo stands in front of/blocks in a NYC bus that won't open its doors for him, inconvenienced Ghettopotamus passenger on-board goes postal over being delayed by him.

by Anonymousreply 5007/25/2014

R50, you're trash on a few levels.

To the crime reporter, that's very few in a city of 8 million. Your effort at sensationalism was worthless.

by Anonymousreply 5107/25/2014

#51, you make no sense

by Anonymousreply 5207/26/2014

A-holes threaten parking lot attendant in Mid-town Manhattan

by Anonymousreply 5307/26/2014

If you spend any real time with native New Yorkers, it becomes quite clear that they don't know much about the world beyond NYC and simply don't care.

by Anonymousreply 5407/27/2014

Why does anyone need to ask directions these days? Just use your smartphone.

by Anonymousreply 5507/27/2014

I lived in DC during college and worked there for about five years after, and I ran running out of that city. Once it became gentrified it got so much worse. People would step on their dying grandmother to get off the metro before you, rudely shove you aside, all with the arrogance of some frat boy coasting on his parent's dime.

Wretched place, I don't even go back to visit friends, they come to me.

by Anonymousreply 5607/27/2014

I found a lot of the women in NYC to be extremely rude and entitled. One group of asshole SATC types refused to move to the side when I walked down the sidewalk in the opposite direction. One of them actually elbowed me and screamed at me to get out of the way.

by Anonymousreply 5707/27/2014

Top 10 unhappiest metropolitan areas with a population greater than 1 million (as of 2010):

1. New York, NY 2. Pittsburgh, PA 3. Louisville, KY 4. Milwaukee, WI 5. Detroit, MI 6. Indianapolis, IN 7. St. Louis, MO 8. Las Vegas, NV 9. Buffalo, NY 10. Philadelphia, PA

by Anonymousreply 5807/28/2014

There are very rude people absolutely everywhere. A big part of it is what you understand to be rude based on your individual cultural upbringing. I've always felt that the New Yorkers who think they're better than everyone else are mostly transplants. New York isn't my favorite city, but it's better than many at "keeping it real" in my experience.

by Anonymousreply 5907/28/2014

Trust me, DC is much, much worse.

by Anonymousreply 6007/28/2014

Oh, I so desperately wish I lived in NYC, yet for some reason don't!

by Anonymousreply 6107/28/2014

Those people who walk slowly with their heads down, texting away are EVERYWHERE. You just have to nudge them aside and/or say "Excuse me" and get by them. If you let them be the pace setters that's your fault. Grow a pair.

I don't feel any responsibility for people who don't think it's important to keep their eyes forward when walking in crowds of people. Fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 6207/28/2014

While that might be true, NYC still has the best collective pedestrian etiquette, technically speaking. In every other part of the country I've been to, people do not understand the concept of moving over on the sidewalk to accommodate foot traffic coming in the other direction. Those who don't conform to "the flow" are still the minority in New York, save tourists.

by Anonymousreply 6307/28/2014

I happen to like New York.

by Anonymousreply 6407/28/2014

Very true, R63. We must all do what we can to continue the NYC right of walking quickly on sidewalks. Texters are a challenge, and I push by them ferociously. But the other group are Asian tourists who are oblivious to the way they block the sidewalk. Tokyo and Taipei are crowded cities: why didn't they learn?

by Anonymousreply 6507/28/2014

DC and Boston have major assholes, snotty and pretentious about where they went to school and live and "summer" or "winter."

I HATE DC! Plus now they are over-run with the rag wearers.

NYers--the real ones--are not that bad, generally friendly--it really is the jerkoffs from the Midwest who think they have moved on up and live here who are the real problem.

I have always found Chicagoans pretty nice when I have visited.

You know, people are people--the bigger the city, the more of them, and the bigger chance of encountering jerks.

by Anonymousreply 6607/28/2014
Need more help? Click Here.