Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Christmas Day Connecticut Fire Mom Attempts Suicide

I *cannot* for the life of me understand why they would clean out the fireplace, put the embers in a bag and place them in the mudroom. That the kids were worried Santa would burn himself coming down the chimney seems like utter shite to me. That contractor Borcina is bad news any way you look at it.

Another article says the ex-husband and father of the children Matthew Badger has hired a private investigator, in addition to the police investigation.

by Anonymousreply 7512/18/2012

The mom knows something she isn't telling. I think she made, or allowed someone to make a really, tragically stupid, careless mistake and they're trying to hide it. Lots of suspicion going around from lots of people. The fact mom tried to off herself only adds to that likely fact.

by Anonymousreply 101/26/2012

I completely agree with you [R1]. I wonder how long it will be before the truth comes out.

by Anonymousreply 201/26/2012

r1, suspicions? About what?

The explanation seems to make sense - it happens all too frequently where I am from (New Hampshire). People, often visitors or vacationers who are not familiar with using a real fireplace will dispose of hot ashes in or near combustible material. I've seen it happen when people put the ashes on a deck, in a wooden trash bin / receptacle, under a wooden overhang, near plastic or shingle siding, etc.

Maybe there's more to this story? Police investigation? Private investigator? I'm intrigued.

by Anonymousreply 401/26/2012

MethInks there's something rotten In the state of CT. Rumor has it that it won't be long before both she and her contractor lover are arrested.

by Anonymousreply 501/26/2012

Do kids that age still actually believe in Santa Claus? If they do, they would believe any story made up by an adult about Santa can get past a fire in a fireplace.

by Anonymousreply 601/26/2012

"Borcina has hired a criminal lawyer to represent him. His contractor registration for Connecticut expired 12 years ago and his home improvement license in NY expired two years ago" quoting from a gothamist article, which has many links attached, quoting the post. "The home had no new certificate of occupancy, and its smoke-detector system, installed several months ago, was not hooked up, according to officials."

The mom was too careless in letting her boyfriend with the expired contractor license work on the home.

by Anonymousreply 701/26/2012

Apparently many children do believe in Santa past the age of 5...(?) In any case, it seems like a made-up tale to cover up something else.

At first it sounds reasonable but upon closer examination it reeks of blaming the incident on the kids! Even *if* the kid was worried about Santa getting burned, any sane person would just tell the kid not to worry about it.

by Anonymousreply 801/26/2012

I hope there's a Santa in heaven.

by Anonymousreply 1001/26/2012

R6:

The twins were seven. Seven-year-old children will believe in Santa Claus unless told otherwise. By nine children are onto it.

The ten-year-old would have played along with the Santa idea for the twins' sake.

R8:

That's easy to say at this point. Suppose in the middle of the night, two children wake you up in tears worrying about Santa Claus. It would be all to easy to make a little ceremony of bagging up the Yule log and putting it away, then tucking them in. Especially if you don't know fireplaces.

As R4 points out, accidental fires like this happen all the time. Granted the contractor should, and almost undoubtedly did, know better, but mom might not have worked with a fireplace all that often.

A suicide attempt doesn't say much about any criminality. It would almost be expected given an innocent accident combined with tremendous loss and accompanying guilt. How can you say to this woman that she has still has things to live for?

A private investigator? Of course the father has a private investigator. Or rather, his insurance company, as well as the contractor's insurance company, have private investigators, as does the grandfather's estate, and on and on.

Everybody is going to be lawyered up, and everybody is going to have investigators, but that does not mean that the investigators got called in because any crime is suspected.

There is going to be a ton of litigation and people have to prepare.

by Anonymousreply 1101/26/2012

There almost certainly will be charges of criminal negligence brought against the man & maybe also against the woman, if only because of public outrage. The father no doubt is hellbent on making both of them pay for what just seems like an accident caused by stupid (but common) behavior with especially tragic & poignant consequences.

by Anonymousreply 1201/26/2012

A contractor was unaware of the effect of fireplace embers on a paper bag?

And he was the boyfriend?

Well, at least that's a twist on the usual!

by Anonymousreply 1301/26/2012

The grandfather, Lomer Johnson was a safety and security director at Brown-Forman in KY for years. Do you think it's strange that he would stay in a house that was undergoing renovations and lacked working smoke detectors?

If indeed, the children woke up in the night with their concerns as Proud Pappa suggested, grandpa wouldn't have known about the disposal of the embers; A safety inspector would know not to do this even if he/she had never been around fireplaces.

by Anonymousreply 1401/26/2012

r3 is clearly mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 1501/26/2012

R12:

I wasn't discounting criminal negligence when I discounted criminal activity. There is a lot of talk here about this being a premeditated homicidal act, and it doesn't seem to have been that.

Obviously anything can still come out, but there are patterns to cases in which parents, or caretakers, murder children, and this case isn't an especially good fit.

When a parent goes nuts and starts killing children it is more typically a situation in which the parent who has just lost out on custody issues or has been kicked out of the home, goes back where he is not supposed to be and commits crimes.

I say, "He," because it is usually, not always of course, but usually the man, meaning the biological father, who commits the crime because the mother has custody of the children: "If I can't have my woman and my children, no one can have them."

The person who has been kicked out of his house, out of the marital bed, and out of his children's lives has the most obvious motive.

That's the profile for these crimes, so the police have exonerated completely the father, right?

If he wasn't involved, then it was the mother, the contractor or the grandfather. We can exclude the grandfather from premeditated murder, correct? That wouldn't make sense.

Now it might have been he who cleared out the fireplace. Does anyone know who was supposed to have done that?

So if it was murder, then it is the mother or the contractor.

Crimes like that happen, but there almost always some other contributory pathology at work. It can be drugs, mental illness, greed (for the insurance money), or simply wanting to be left without the responsibility of children.

None of those factors have been brought forward, right? That might still happen. But so far the common sense evaluation is that there was a terrible misunderstanding of the dangers of embers, perhaps exacerbated by alcohol or sleep, rather than anything premeditated.

by Anonymousreply 1601/26/2012

R15, have you noticed that also? I don't think R3 is trying to be a troll, ironic or particularly humorous.. it's a completely unhinged loon who has some sort of scary obsession with Madonna. I've never seen anything like it here and I've been on DL since 2003.

by Anonymousreply 1701/26/2012

Go easy on R3, R15. I think R3 is suffering from a sensitive penis, which might be contributing to the mental difficulties.

by Anonymousreply 1801/26/2012

I didn't know about this part which is extremely suspicious. The debris must still have been hot when it was torn down. How can they investigate the fire now? It wouldn't surprise me if the father's investigator is looking into how this could have happened. No comment from the PD? There's an official investigation.

[quote]The destruction of the house has apparently made the investigation more difficult. According to the Post, one source said the police were not consulted in the decision to tear down the home. Conklin did not respond to several requests for comment on whether his department knew about the tear-down order in advance. Stamford building department chief Robert DeMarco said he personally made the call to have Badger’s home demolished just hours after the Dec. 25 blaze for 'safety reasons.'" A criminal lawyer not involved with the case opined, "In a criminal probe of a fire, the burned home would be considered a crime scene. In tearing [Badger’s] down, they’ve reduced the evidence pool."

Safety reasons? Isn't the house on a relatively large waterfront lot?

by Anonymousreply 1901/26/2012

R11, Around 3 a.m. on Christmas, Borcina emptied the fireplace's embers into a bag and put them either in the home's mudroom or a nearby trash enclosure, and investigators believe the embers were the cause of the fire. Now, CBS 2 reports that the Stamford police are getting more involved with the case: Borcina, a contractor, was also in charge of renovating the home and had applied for permits for a smoke detection system, which did not seem to be activated at the time of the fire (it's unclear if there were battery-operated detectors). The family also shouldn't have been technically living on the second floor of the home, because it didn't have final approval for occupancy.

by Anonymousreply 2001/26/2012

I think mom got a great deal on a fixer-upper in Shippan. She starts screwing the contractor for the generous discount (free work) on the outrageous premium charged by contractors in Fairfield County CT. They drink a litte too much, a lot too much. He ,drink impaired, makes a disastrous decision to dispose of embers in the worst possible way. His shoddy thinking while drunk was possibly a reflection of his normal thoughtless, cut-corners thinking as shown by the smoke detectors and lapsed liscense situation. A tragedy unfolded. They don't want to admit that they were probably drunk when it happened for fear of neglignce charges.

by Anonymousreply 2101/26/2012

R21:

That makes a lot more sense than burning down the house as murder.

by Anonymousreply 2201/26/2012

Agree with r21. As for razing the house immediately, the fire that killed the three kids from Marist College in Poughkeepsie last weekend was also torn down the next day. Maybe that's just standard procedure. Investigators can't safely work in a structure that could collapse so what's the point of keeping it up?

by Anonymousreply 2301/26/2012

Her suicide attempt has nothing to do with an attempted cover up for killing her children.

More likely she feels responsible and would prefer death over the sounds of her children screaming for help that play over and over in her head.

by Anonymousreply 2401/26/2012

R6? The kids were 9 and seven. Most kids between those ages definitely still believe in Santa.

by Anonymousreply 2501/26/2012

R24:

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 2601/26/2012

Do bad the granddad didn't use one of the kids as a battering ram. They might've gotten out alive. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 2701/26/2012

Grandma was cooking meth in the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 2801/26/2012

Not surprising at ALL that the mom attempted suicide. In fact, it would be surprising if something like this did NOT surface. Extreme depression and guilt are normal reactions. Equating it with a cover-up of some sort is ridiculous without more to go on.

by Anonymousreply 2901/26/2012

What r24 said. As someone who has a tendency to relentlessly emotionally torture myself for my mistakes (real or perceived), I can't imagine what she must have been going through.

by Anonymousreply 3001/26/2012

Well, you may give her the benefit of the doubt, but the sequence of events is too suspicious for me to believe this was anything but a planned act.

I think the boyfriend talked her into "starting life over" without all the baggage of those pesky kids. And well, she loved him more than anything and wanted to make him happy.

by Anonymousreply 3101/26/2012

No way, you people cannot theorize something so heinous. I refuse to believe it was anything but a drunken mistake.

I mean, bloto drunk too, not tipsy.

by Anonymousreply 3201/26/2012

[quote]Do you think it's strange that he would stay in a house that was undergoing renovations and lacked working smoke detectors?

I would think it stranger if any guest, let alone a relative, demanded to see working smoke detectors and proof of a right-to-occupy. I would just assume that the residents had taken care of all that.

by Anonymousreply 3301/26/2012

R31, I think you are completely mistaken. There's no way anyone would hatch a murder plot whose success counted on FIVE people not being able to escape a house fire. Every one of the victims was found in a place that showed they were alert and actively seeking to escape. It was only unhappy chance that none of them made it out alive. Both survivors had to be restrained by the firefighters from going back in.

This was a horrifying accident and nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 3401/26/2012

Yes exactly R3, I have never thought to ask anyone I've stayed with to see these items. I just wondering if grandpa might have thought about or asked his daughter about them since he had been a safety inspector for so many years.

Oh, also is it common for contractors to live on-site during renovations? Borcina asked another client to live in her home previously. She later sued and got a judgement against him for shoddy work or breach contract, something of that nature.

by Anonymousreply 3501/26/2012

OMG R27 hahahaha

by Anonymousreply 3601/26/2012

Some idiots who live near me put their fireplace ashes into a PAPER BAG and put it in the garage until trash pickup day.

It took about 6 months for their house to be rebuilt.

Of course anything is possible but given how prevalent the "it'll never happen to ME" mindset is, I totally believe this was strictly an accident.

The father's occupation probably gave them false confidence that the house was OK to live in.

I'm not surprised this poor woman attempted suicide. In fact, I expected it. I can't imagine the agony she must live with.

by Anonymousreply 3701/26/2012

R31 you watch too much television.

This woman moved out of Manhattan so one of her twins could attend a posh school for children with learning disabilities in Westchester County, NY.

If she wanted to start over, she wouldn't have gone through the trouble.

She also feels tremendous guilt for what she's done to the father of the children, whom she was still very close to.

by Anonymousreply 3801/26/2012

[quote]The mom knows something she isn't telling. I think she made, or allowed someone to make a really, tragically stupid, careless mistake and they're trying to hide it.

Of course she allowed a tragically stupid mistake to happen in house. Putting hot embers near combustible materials was the tragically stupid mistake, but nobody's trying to hide that.

The woman lost all three of her children, plus her parents, in one fell swoop. That she would attempt suicide under those circumstances is no surprise, even if she'd had nothing whatsoever to do with the deaths. Pile on the fact that her or her boyfriend's stupid mistake caused the fire that killed her family, and it would be rather surprising if she weren't suicidal.

Also, I don't know know what her relationship with the boyfriend is like, but possibly he's no more than a casual, post-divorce rebound bf, so she might be really beating herself up about ever getting involved with the dope at all.

by Anonymousreply 3901/26/2012

No one is discussing that the reason for much of the fevered whispering by attendees of the funeral, despite their public professions of how "brave and incredibly strong" the mother was to deliver the eulogy, was actually how bizarre and disturbing it was that she was able to do that. It does beg the question of how grief-stricken she really was to basically deliver a speech at such a moment. How grief-stricken was she really? This whole drama stinks to high heaven and the truth will out in the end. It always does.

by Anonymousreply 4001/26/2012

I agree R40. The mom's company *immediately* started requesting donations for a foundation in the children's memory with the some vague mission statement about "championing compassion" Tacky. Why does she need a PR campaign?

by Anonymousreply 4101/26/2012

Jesus - I just can't be suspicious of this woman. I feel too horrible for her if it was all an accident to speculate.

It does seem unlikely to be purposeful. Killing your own children with FIRE?? With your parents present in the house to complicate matters? I mean, really - that makes no sense. What could she possibly have to gain? Give the kids to the ex if she wants to be "free." Highly highly highly unlikely it was anything other than a horrible, horrible accident.

by Anonymousreply 4201/26/2012

Hi R42, I don't think the fire was intentional per se, I just think they aren't telling the whole truth about what happened. Like R40 said, the truth always comes out eventually.

by Anonymousreply 4301/26/2012

Killing your own children with FIRE??

Oh, there was this crazy Dr. named Deborah Green. She set fire to her own house and killed 2 of her 3 children to get back at their father for leaving her (whom she also poisoned for years by putting ricin in his food)

by Anonymousreply 4401/26/2012

They drank too much and weren't thinking clearly.

The boyfriend is a contractor and with my many years of homeownership behind me, I truly believe contractor = idiot with no common sense.

That's about the only kind of contractor I've ever come across. They're also passive agggresive.

by Anonymousreply 4501/26/2012

x

by Anonymousreply 4601/26/2012

[quote]how grief-stricken she really was to basically deliver a speech at such a moment. How grief-stricken was she really?

I thought it was odd and inappropriate for the mother to deliver the eulogy but I still don't think there was anything suspicious about the fire. I think the only thing they might be concealing is just how intoxicated they were when they decided to put the ashes outside and go to bed.

I imagine the choice to deliver the eulogy was merely gut instinct for a headstrong PR woman going into overdrive while doing damage control on her own reputation.

by Anonymousreply 4701/26/2012

I can buy the kids not wanting Santa to get his fat ass burned but the adults could have just thrown some water in the fireplace; or thrown water on the bag with the embers in them.

Yeah, something's .....not right.

by Anonymousreply 4801/26/2012

Why didn't they just make up something... Santa has magical dust that puts out fires.

by Anonymousreply 4901/26/2012

The State Attorney will investigate. They have a precedent for negligent homicide in regard to a drowning....The contractor and mother must be shitting bricks

by Anonymousreply 5001/27/2012

Madonna Badger looking like shit, saying she feels good and she talks to her girls a lot.

by Anonymousreply 5112/06/2012

Is she still with the man that killed her family?

by Anonymousreply 5212/06/2012

[quote] That the kids were worried Santa would burn himself coming down the chimney seems like utter shite to me

Badger says she doesn't know where that story came from. It's not true.

I live in the Hamptons and it's not unusual for lonely divorced wealthy women to hook up with contractors, house painters, etc. If the woman isn't good looking and she got the house in the divorce but not a lot of money, she kind of barters for work and the guy senses he can move in. Danny Pelosi was an electrician in East Hampton who killed Ted Ammon and married his wife. There was the Worthington case in Cape Cod, where the Vassar-educated murder victim had been sleeping with the shellfish constable, among others (and her wealthy banker father was schtupping a heroin addict).

Lots of these women out here become realtors and hook up with contractors. The people who built my house were a company made up of a husband and wife. Both were previously divorced. The wife was supposedly an artist and sculptor who lived in Soho. She got the summer home in the divorce and became a realtor, met the contractor during working hours. They married, had a kid, formed a building company and acrimoniously divorced a few years later. It's so common out here.

by Anonymousreply 5312/06/2012

I can't wrap my mind around the fact that someone put embers in a paper bag without throwing a few glasses of water on them first to make sure they are 'dead'.

by Anonymousreply 5412/06/2012

She looks cray cray to me, especially with those gap teeth. And the name Madonna Badger just sounds crazy.

by Anonymousreply 5512/06/2012

This is strange news because in today's NY Post there's an article about how WELL she's doing:

She's been through hell and survived.

"I"m doing really well, I'm shocked that I'm doing ok, but I'm doing really well," Madonna Badger said today in an interview with Matt Lauer on NBC’s “Today” show.

This Christmas, Badger — the Connecticut mom whose three girls died in a horrific Christmas Day fire along with her parents — is going to Thailand, a “Santa Claus-free zone," praying and being with her girls.

Badger, wearing a beige sweater and skirt and looking thinner but more upbeat than in previous interviews, said she will spend Christmas working in an orphanage for young girls, bringing them toys from her own garage that once belonged to Lily, Sarah and Grace.

Badger said she no longer feels guilty for smiling "because when I do feel happy — when I do feel joyful — it's when I can feel the presence of my children and my mom and dad the most."

Badger said she sees her children "in her dreams and when I pray."

"Lily came to me very early on and said to me 'Don't worry mommy, I'm right there in your heart and I love you.'"

Badger described a time when she was at her lowest — "a level-10, feels like blood is coming out of my eyes" — that her daughter Sarah visited her and told her that there was "nothing to be afraid of, everything is going to be ok."

In addition to the "messages" from her girls, Badger also credits her friends saving her after last year’s tragedy.

Badger said that by the time she got to her friends' home "half my hair had fallen out — I was a disaster."

"They made me promise I wouldn't kill myself. They brought me back to life."

Badger, also crediting therapy and spiritual healing with helping her grief, said she is no longer contemplating suicide because she doesn't "know what would happen if I did that and I don't want to risk not being with my children."

by Anonymousreply 5612/06/2012

So glad that someone is bumping up these cheery holiday threads. Merry Christmas.

Well, I suspect I know why that contractor was with her and I doubt it was a physical thing.

by Anonymousreply 5712/06/2012

R56, this is an old thread. The suicide attempt happened last January. I don't see anything in the new article about the contractor-boyfriend. I assume he is a thing of her past.

by Anonymousreply 5812/06/2012

If I could harness all the energy from the interest shown to me, romantically or sexually, from all the contractors, painters, electricians, plumbers, cops, firefighters, sanitation workers and MTA workers I've met in my entire lifetime, I doubt there would be enough to even melt a snowflake.

So maybe it's "common" for other people, but it certainly isn't my reality.

by Anonymousreply 5912/06/2012

She went on the Today show with Matt Lauer to talk about this all? Oh, that's just too much...

What the hell is a "shellfish constable," R53? A Dept. of Fish and Game official?

by Anonymousreply 6012/06/2012

There's an article about Matthew Badger in New York Magazine. I don't think he's fifty yet, but a full page picture of him shows a very haggard, old man. Understandably he's still tormented and angry. This is how the article ends:

A breeze picks up. There are the sounds of downtown New York City at six o’clock on a warm late-September evening when Matt Badger tells me he knows his children “melted—

“They fucking MELTED”

He wants to know why.

by Anonymousreply 6112/06/2012

It's lonely in a summer resort during the wintertime.

by Anonymousreply 6212/06/2012

"Is she still with the man that killed her family?"

I haven't heard anything to the contrary, so I assume she still is.

She looks like shit. And she must have shit for brains if she's stupid enough to hook up with a sleazy contracter and stay with him even though he killed her whole family.

by Anonymousreply 6312/06/2012

Some people SHOULD experience low self-esteem.

by Anonymousreply 6412/06/2012

[quote] A Dept. of Fish and Game

Not usually. They are local employees. Where I grew up, they were called bay constables and if they saw you on a clamboat hoisting in a lot of clams, they would ask to see your license and check how many bushels you have. They'd check to see if you have life jackets. They checked out illegal dumping into waters where clams, crabs, etc live. Nowadays, unfortunately, where i grew up they mostly deal with drunk people on watercraft, especially jet skis.

Where I live now, constables check salinity in our bay and open and close a cut between the ocean and the bay to create estuarine conditions. They close areas that have been found to be contaminated by the DEC, enforce town codes, keep a list of all commercially licensed shellfish harvesters, respond to boating accidents and emergencies, patrol to make sure nobody is dumping their shit in the water, give boating safety classes and ticket the drunk and disorderly. They're town employees.

by Anonymousreply 6512/06/2012

She looks fucking bat shit crazy, like any SNL character played by Cheri Oteri (who was hilarious, like in the linked clip)

by Anonymousreply 6612/06/2012

I only 1/2 listened to the her interview on Today this morning - but something doesn't seem quite right there.

by Anonymousreply 6712/06/2012

The article in NY Magazine was one of the most terrible terrifying I have ever read. Madonna's father was a Safety/Fire supervisor in his past life. It mentions that growing up he conducted fire drills with young Madonna and her brother, instructing them never to run back into the house, no matter what. He was a stickler for smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, unplugging unused appliances, etc. It almost makes what happened worse, if that's possible.

by Anonymousreply 6812/06/2012

Can't this publicity hound just shut the fuck up, please? Go away, you cunt. We're HEARD the story and we don't need to know any more about how BAD you feel.

by Anonymousreply 6912/06/2012

A female friend of mine dated her brother. My friend didn't know his family, they weren't that serious. At the time this all happened, the brother fell off the face of the earth and my friend ended up dumping him. When he resurfaced a month later, he said "Sorry, I had family issues." My friend just thought it was a blowoff and she didn't find out specifically what those issues were until several months later long after they had broken up.

I met the brother the night my friend met him. no loss there.

by Anonymousreply 7012/06/2012

Wow, OP. Why ressurect a morbid thread like this.

by Anonymousreply 7112/06/2012

She was on Piers Morgan last week.

This is just beyond sad.

by Anonymousreply 7212/10/2012

Let's play a drinking game. Take a shot everytime the phrase "my friend" occurs in R70's post.

1...2...3...DRUNK!

by Anonymousreply 7312/10/2012

She does seem almost desperately eager to rehabilitate her public image. That goes all the way back to the funeral where she got up and made speeches about her dead daughters. The principal mourner shouldn't deliver the eulogy at a funeral. That is especially true when the principal mourner was at least somewhat culpable for the deaths of the deceased (I'm referring to her moving her family into an unfinished house that was not yet up to code and legally fit for occupation.)

Obviously she had a fabulous career and lifestyle and she seems bizarrely determined to cling to its remnants.

by Anonymousreply 7412/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.