Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Netflix has become Bollywood Central...WTF

I just have the streaming video portion of Netflix since they did that stupid shyt last summer.

I check the site every Tues for new releases, but the pickings are always paltry.

The last straw that made me cancel my Netflix subscription this week... they have a shytload of Indian films.

I'm through

by Anonymousreply 6012/29/2014

I noticed that too! All the new streaming releases are fucking Indian! WTF?

by Anonymousreply 101/25/2012

I can't stand Bollywood films. Over dramatic facial expressions (like the old silent films), horrible screeching singing. And what's with the stupid dancing as the end?

by Anonymousreply 201/25/2012

Why so many indie films?

by Anonymousreply 301/25/2012

I was wondering too.

by Anonymousreply 501/25/2012

Bollywood: where you can get 1000 new films for $1.

by Anonymousreply 601/25/2012

Bollywood is the new thang.

by Anonymousreply 702/02/2012

What is Bollywood?

by Anonymousreply 802/02/2012

by Anonymousreply 902/02/2012

I think a lot of people are about done with Netflix. It keeps getting shittier and shittier.

by Anonymousreply 1002/02/2012

Bombay + Hollywood = Bollywood

by Anonymousreply 1102/02/2012

They are going to release some Spanish films, which I don't mind.

by Anonymousreply 1202/02/2012

I have both streaming and disk and end up watching National Geographic type shows online and new movies on disk when they come out.

What annoy me about Netflix are the fake five star reviews for crappy movies.

by Anonymousreply 1302/02/2012

The documentaries are pretty good, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 1402/02/2012

ROFL, There was a time a few years ago when I saw a lot of Indian movies. Most are shit but occasionally there's good one. The biggest problem with them is that they are mostly 3 hours long and have those awful song and dance scenes every 10-15 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 1602/02/2012

OP = resident DL racist obese flyover.

by Anonymousreply 1702/02/2012

I used to watch a lot of B'wood flix when the lead actors are hot.

You should watch 'Gajini' before quitting on them altogether. It's got all the cliches, but a lot action, along with the sappy songs.

And the lead guy got totally buff for the role and spend a lot of time shirtless.

The extras (probably not on the Netflix version) show him before (rather cute to begin with, but not ripped), working out, and shirtless even more.

by Anonymousreply 1802/02/2012

Watch Dhobi Ghat. It's a great movie about a US based girl who returns to Mumbai and falls in love with a man who washes clothes. It's probably the only non-musical Bollywood film I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 1902/03/2012

In the past couple of weeks, more than two dozen movies that were in my Saved queue have suddenly become available. Some were movies that Netflix had offered at one time and then stopped, and some are ones that they've never had available before.

Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 2002/15/2012

Does anyone have any thoughts on Amazon Prime vs Netflix?

by Anonymousreply 2102/24/2012

Amazon Prime doesn't stream to iPhones or iPads. Netflix does.

by Anonymousreply 2202/24/2012

I download Amazon Prime movies to my TiVo. The only thing I hate is that there's no closed captioning. My elder ears need captions.

by Anonymousreply 2302/24/2012

I have an iPad with onlive desktop and that enables flash on the iPad. I just discovered this today from an article in the NY times. I have Netflix but nowthat I can download movies I am interested in Amazon since free shipping is part of it.

by Anonymousreply 2402/24/2012

I am really happy to have Bollywood films. Great dancing, hardly any sex, good plots. I'n fact, I had a subscription to which is 100% Bollywood, but the streaming was lousy.

by Anonymousreply 2507/20/2013

I switched to streaming only to save money but it's really annoying how the streaming movie player always needs to buffer and skip. I'm tired of having to refresh the page. I turned off the HD feature to make it quicker but even that doesn't really work. I really wish they would address this issue.

by Anonymousreply 2607/20/2013

R26, the problem is likely on your end.

by Anonymousreply 2707/20/2013

And we give a shyt about your pig-ignorant racism because...?

by Anonymousreply 2807/20/2013

Which one features the big "gang rape on a bus" number at the end of act 1?

by Anonymousreply 2907/20/2013

Oh please, for $8/month Netflix is well worth it.....

by Anonymousreply 3007/20/2013

I've grown to prefer Amazon Prime's selection, but Netflix's video player is much smoother in my experience. I think they're both running Silverlight, so I'm not sure what it is.

by Anonymousreply 3107/20/2013

R26, it must be your Internet.

by Anonymousreply 3207/20/2013

What are you streaming on, R26? I have both Apple TV and PS3. I have a number of streaming issues with Apple TV but no problems at all streaming Netflix on my PS3.

by Anonymousreply 3307/20/2013

I got rid of my Netflix this month because I rarely watched it and all they ever had was mostly bad B-movies and foreign films.

by Anonymousreply 3407/20/2013

I stream Netflix on my Xbox and have NEVER had any issues. But I pay a lot fr my Internet and have a very fast connection.

by Anonymousreply 3507/20/2013

I'm curious: what's the appeal of streaming? I guess I'm too much of a cinema snob, but I would only watch a movie on a computer screen if that was absolutely the only way I could watch it (or it was made specifically to be viewed on a computer screen). I have a 27" TV and even that is too small, but I still watch movies on it anyway.

Also, the selection for streaming is so slim -- out of the 500 movies in my queue, maybe only 50 or 75 are available for streaming.

by Anonymousreply 3607/20/2013

And I think role like R34 must not know how to use the search function.

Anyway, Orange is the New Black is certainly worth $8.

by Anonymousreply 3707/20/2013

R36, seriously?

Most people don't watch Netflix streaming on their computer but in streaming devices which allow you to stream netflix through your television.

You can stream on Playstation 3, X-Box, Apple TV, Roku, Wii and many blu-ray players.

by Anonymousreply 3807/20/2013

R38, how do Netflix movies get on TV? Are you getting the DVDs and streaming them from your DVD player?

by Anonymousreply 3907/20/2013

[quote]Amazon Prime doesn't stream to iPhones or iPads. Netflix does.

As of a couple of months ago, that statement is no longer true. There is an Amazon video app for the iPad.

by Anonymousreply 4007/20/2013

If I remember correctly Hulu has a fair amount of Bollywood and a lot of stuff from South Asia.

I'm sure it's very cheap for them to license so they can brag about the number of titles they offer.

Personally, I think Netflix is great. I cut the cord several years ago and get all my entertainment for about $16 a month. But the longer I use it, the harder it gets to find stuff I want to watch. I'm now juggling Netflix Streaming, DVDs and Hulu so that I'm only paying for 2 of them at a time.

I hope they keep up what they are going with the original shows since most of them have been well above average.

I'd also love to see them them license more stuff from other countries. Most of the foreign stuff that they have is the stuff that is played in art houses. I've seen lots of wonderful movies at film festivals that never end up on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 4107/21/2013

[quote]how do Netflix movies get on TV? Are you getting the DVDs and streaming them from your DVD player?

Oh my.

by Anonymousreply 4207/21/2013

r38, thank god for trolldar, as you'll see that r39 is not me.

Although the truth is, I don't know much about modern technology or the devices you mentioned. I just want something that will play old movies, foreign flicks and the most obscure indie films. I go to the cinema 2 or 3 times a week, so I don't use Netflix for current releases. And I don't watch TV series.

by Anonymousreply 4307/21/2013

AppleTV's Netflix interface is terrible.

I use an Xbox to watch Netflix on my TV.

by Anonymousreply 4407/21/2013

Indian cinema has a lot more to offer than "Bollywood" films. There are non-Bollywood Hindi films like Dhobi Ghat and Udaan; there is arthouse cinema and "parallel" cinema. But there are also films made in other Indian languages- Malyalam, Marathi, Bengali, Tamil etc etc. Not surprising when India has 22 official languages (not dialects but languages). Some of these regional-language films are pitched to the lowest common denominator and are crass and representationally conservative. But some of them are stunningly good, and are watched, studied and awarded high honours across the world. See Adoor Gopalakrishnan's work, or going further back- Satayajit Ray.

by Anonymousreply 4507/21/2013

All of u r fucker, because u guys coming from uneducated family, that's why u don't understand Indian movies

by Anonymousreply 4608/18/2013

Indian movies are shit!

by Anonymousreply 4708/18/2013

Chromecast for Netflix is fantastic. Pretty soon, Hulu, HBO Go, Plex, etc. are going to be compatible with Chromecast, too.

Truly an easy and elegant way of getting streaming content on the TV. I hope more sites will use the SDK that Google release to incorporate this functionality.

by Anonymousreply 4808/18/2013

Does anyone know any way to weed out all these god-forsaken Bollywood piece of junks from Netflix?

by Anonymousreply 4909/26/2013

nothings is wrong with bollywood films..........yall go f ya self white trash!!!!!!!!!!!!1

by Anonymousreply 5001/29/2014

Dont know r49 guess you just have to turn your racist switch off.

by Anonymousreply 5101/29/2014

I got rid of Netflix early last year because of this. Has it gotten any better since, or should I just stick to Amazon?

by Anonymousreply 5207/20/2014

[quote]I use an Xbox to watch Netflix on my TV.

I prefer using Roku when watching Netflix, because you can hear it on Dolby Digital Plus. Surprisingly, Apple TV doesn't do Dolby Digital Plus.

by Anonymousreply 5307/20/2014

[quote]I had to cancel my subscription as well, OP. Too much Bollywood.

I'm not sure I understand. I mean, I never see Bollywood films suggested or feel like my suggested films are saturated with them. I don't understand how Netflix having Bollywood films available could possibly be a problem.

by Anonymousreply 5407/20/2014

Use Instant Watcher to see what's new:

by Anonymousreply 5507/20/2014

The company is based in Fremont but most of the workers (when I lived up there) were East Asians. Given it is in the middle of Silicon Valley, I'm surprised it took so long for Bollywood to emerge on the list.

by Anonymousreply 5607/20/2014

Streaming has always been terrible with Netflix. I keep the mail Netflix which has all the latest releases.

by Anonymousreply 5812/24/2014

by Anonymousreply 5912/29/2014

R2 unknowingly describes the latest batch of movie musicals.

by Anonymousreply 6012/29/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!