Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"The Silver Foxes"

[italic]Four older men share their lives together in a ranch-style house in Fort Lauderdale.[/italic]

Tired of living alone, Blake Debergue places an ad in a local paper for two rooms to rent in his home. The ad is answered by Dorian McGraw and Ron Newberry.

Lyle Waggoner is Dorian--a headstrong, responsible high school teacher. He left Buffalo, New York and headed south after his wife dumped him for a young male model.

Brian Dennehy is Ron--an overly-optimistic, sometimes dim-witted but fun-loving pet store supervisor. He is a widower and a transplant from Chicago.

Robert Conrad is Blake. Also a widower, he has great sex appeal and he knows it. Originally from New Orleans, he's lived in Florida for close to 20 years. His job at a museum allows plenty of opportunity to meet members of the opposite sex.

Mickey Rooney is Solomon--Dorian's elderly, sharp-tongued father. He comes to stay with the men after his retirement home is closed due to a devastating lawsuit. Lived in Florida for decades with his wife, Sophie, before she died. He often speaks of his late wife, who was the great love of his life.

by Anonymousreply 2202/23/2013

This sounds vaguely familiar.

by Anonymousreply 101/24/2012

A little (wink wink)

by Anonymousreply 201/24/2012

OP, I'm sure I'm being overly literal here, but you realize that all of these men are in their 80s or 90s now, right? Which, actually, is the age all of the Golden Girls would be today, if still alive, not in 1984 when the show began; Rue was only 51 at the time, actually. (To put that into perspective, Michelle Pfeiffer is older than that now.)

Also, apparently you didn't know that Robert Conrad hasn't been heard from since he killed a kid in a head-on collision while driving drunk three times over the legal BAC limit, about eight or nine years ago.

by Anonymousreply 301/24/2012

Oh, I know these actors couldn't play these parts [italic]now[/italic]. The idea of it is that the show would have started in 1985 or so, when all of these men were younger.

by Anonymousreply 401/24/2012

Well, these guys aren't exactly in their 80s or 90s--except Rooney. But yeah, it should be cast a little younger to do it now.

Dorian--Ray Romano Ron--Drew Carey Blake--Scott Bakula Solomon--Judd Hirsch or Elliot Gould

by Anonymousreply 501/24/2012

I love OP

by Anonymousreply 601/24/2012

You know only a gay man could have dreamed this all up, because he was willing to propose Lyle Waggoner as the anchor of a comedy show.

by Anonymousreply 701/24/2012

Mutual love, R6

by Anonymousreply 801/24/2012

And thank you, R6!

by Anonymousreply 901/24/2012

cuties.

by Anonymousreply 1001/24/2012

This is the theme song

by Anonymousreply 1101/24/2012

Updated character synopsis:

Lyle Waggoner is Dorian—a headstrong, responsible high school teacher. He left Buffalo, New York and headed south after his wife dumped him for a young male model. He’s not really proficient in the dating department, and prefers staying at home with a good book to going out. Dorian has a son and a daughter with his wife.

Brian Dennehy is Ron—an overly-optimistic, sometimes dim-witted but fun-loving pet store supervisor. His great love of animals and outgoing personality are his main reasons for working in a pet store. He is a widower and a transplant from Chicago. Ron has three daughters.

Robert Conrad is Blake. Also a widower, he has great sex appeal and he knows it. Originally from New Orleans (and old money), he’s lived in Florida for close to twenty years. His job at a museum allows for plenty of opportunity to meet (and seduce) members of the opposite sex. Blake has three sons and two daughters.

Mickey Rooney is Solomon McGraw—Dorian’s elderly, sharp-tongued father. He comes to stay with the men after his retirement home, Breezy Meadows, is closed due to a devastating lawsuit. Solomon was born in Scotland, and came to live in America as a young boy of twelve. He often regales with colorful stories about his early life in the Motherland, and frequently rides his bookish son (whom he affectionately calls “Tiger”) about his lack of a love life. Solomon lived in Florida for decades with his wife, Sophie, before she passed on. He talks often about his late wife, who was the great love of his life. Besides Dorian, Solomon also has a daughter.

Their house...

by Anonymousreply 1201/25/2012

cuties

by Anonymousreply 1301/25/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 1406/01/2012

Oh my. I'm in my mid 30s and just came across a recent picture of Lyle Waggoner.

I'd hit it. Just sayin'. That is a good looking older gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 1502/23/2013

Christ OP, these people are way too old. Might as well do a horror version of Golden Girls with zombies.

by Anonymousreply 1602/23/2013

Silver Foxes is a really good idea though, OP. I think there's a British series called Mad Dogs which is similar.

by Anonymousreply 1702/23/2013

Lyle is way too hot to play the Dorothy character!

by Anonymousreply 1802/23/2013

we went through this already: it's already been done

by Anonymousreply 1902/23/2013

Elder-gays are ruining DL.

by Anonymousreply 2002/23/2013

Thankfully, the kid Robert Conrad hit while drunk didn't die. He was hospitalized for awhile with a broken arm and leg but made a full recovery, if I recall correctly.

I hope R.C. got help for his drinking problem. The guy's got major anger issues, as anybody who saw him have a hissy-fit on Battle of the Network Stars already know. Short Man Syndrome? Anyway, anger issues + drinking problem = legal problems eventually.

by Anonymousreply 2102/23/2013

From Burns and Allen:

George) I have news for you Gracie, Mickey Rooney is a grown man.

Gracie) Nonsense look at this picture of him sitting in a car. And what kind of playing is that for a child/ He ought to be cuddling a doll

George) Look closer, he probably is.

by Anonymousreply 2202/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.