Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Melatonin Pills

Do they work for you? I find my sleep is more satisfying when I take them.

by Anonymousreply 3201/26/2013

Oh yeah. They work better, for me, then tylonel PM, etc

by Anonymousreply 101/23/2012

They help. Usually I only take half of one.

by Anonymousreply 201/23/2012

They are too strong. They wipe me out for two days. I need to cut them up.

by Anonymousreply 301/23/2012

They work but I get really intense dreams which sometimes means the sleep is less satisfying.

by Anonymousreply 401/23/2012

All my life I slept with a night light and now I'm told I've been KILLING myself for lack of melatonin. I don't know if I really believe it. True, my sleep pattern has been less than 5 hours nightly but I am still alive after all.

by Anonymousreply 501/23/2012

ProSom is perhaps the best available in the US. If your doctor is against benzodiazepines, try for Lunesta. Ambien works but evidently has some odd side effects.

Outside the US, get Rohypnol or Mogodon.

by Anonymousreply 601/23/2012

I have been only taking a half lately too. Only when I have had caffeine or I really need to knock myself out. It gives me crazy and vivid dreams as well. Usually that's part of the fun!

by Anonymousreply 701/23/2012

Yes ...work great. I use them when I travel to US to Europe ....wake up refreshed and ready to go when I land. Use them infrequently at other times when I have a hard time getting to sleep ...

by Anonymousreply 801/23/2012

Really good for long flights. I took them every couple of hours during the flights to Australia and New Zealand and they worked like a charm in the sense that I wasn't all that jetlagged upon arrival.

by Anonymousreply 901/23/2012

I use it all the time. It makes my sleep feel more natural than prescription drugs. I have extremely vivid dreams when I take it as well. Not bad dreams, just vivid. I kind of enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 1001/23/2012

They do help as long as you can maintain a regular sleep schedule. I find I'm not feeling hung over the next day like I am with otc sleeping pills.

by Anonymousreply 1101/23/2012

I love the stuff, but cut up a 3mg pill into fifths or sixths and I take it at least an hour and a half before going to bed.

by Anonymousreply 1201/23/2012

They help me sleep for about 2 hours and then I'm up again. And yes, they do give me bizarre dreams.

I'd rather take Xanax.

by Anonymousreply 1301/23/2012

I get time release melatonin at Whole Foods and it is the best - but 3 MG is a lot for me as I am not large.

by Anonymousreply 1401/23/2012

Used it for years because it was promoted as being natural. Perhaps I developed a tolerance, but eventually it didn't do much for my sleep. Back to taking Benadryl as I won't take a prescription sleep aid.

by Anonymousreply 1501/23/2012

Knock me the fuck out, I had insomnia that prescription sleeping pills didn't work on, with that out in twenty minutes. Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 1601/24/2012

Can you buy these at any drugstore? I have been taking Advil PM and lately have been getting stomach aches from them.

by Anonymousreply 1701/24/2012

I thought they discovered Melotonin causes blood clots or something.

by Anonymousreply 1801/24/2012

One does nothing.

Two will let me sleep for four hours but tehn I wake up and can't get back to sleep.

I finally gave up on it.

by Anonymousreply 1901/24/2012

They give me a major headache and don't always work. I find valerian works the best out of the herbal sleep remedies. Not that any of them work as well as an Ambien, but fewer freaky side effects.

by Anonymousreply 2001/24/2012

They worked for me for a couple of days. I literally began seeing gauze over my eyes. After that, nothing. I've taken sleeping pills before, but what I initially received from taking Melatonin tablets, nothing has compared to them. They truly did work, and I felt like I was flying, totally calm.

by Anonymousreply 2101/24/2012

Add me to the list of those with vivid dreams when taking Melatonin. The other thing I've noticed is that i tend to sleep really soundly for about four hours, then will wake up and doze/wake, doze until morning.

by Anonymousreply 2201/24/2012

Chamomile tea makes me a bit sleepy, FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 2301/24/2012

I take 3 pills a night. Helps me fall asleep but doesn't keep me asleep.

by Anonymousreply 2401/24/2012

Melatonin always gives me horrible sleep paralysis experiences. I avoid that stuff now.

by Anonymousreply 2501/24/2012

They helped me get to sleep, but I read that people who suffer from recurring depression shouldn't take them, so I stopped. Now I just take magnesium about an hour before I go to bed, which also prevents leg cramps. I used to get charlie horses all the time, but haven't had a single one since I started taking magnesium.

I will also occasionally take an antihistamine if I can't sleep. It's the same thing that's in Tylenol PM. I don't know if it's particularly good for you, but it doesn't seem to make me more depressed.

I got blackout curtains about six months ago, and they do help me sleep more soundly once I get to sleep. Doctors say your room should be dark enough so that you can't see your hand in front of your face.

by Anonymousreply 2601/24/2012

They don't work for me. They might help me sleep for a few hours, but then I wake up and can't get back to sleep. Plus, they leave me groggy the next day...and that's with only 1mg.

Not sure what all the hype is about, but I guess every body is different.

by Anonymousreply 2701/26/2013

Dr. Oz has the facts about melatonin:

by Anonymousreply 2801/26/2013

Try over-the-counter Alteril, an all natural sleep aid which is a combination of L-Tryptophan, Melatonin, Valerian, Chamonile.

I really like it.

by Anonymousreply 2901/26/2013

That sounds pretty good, R29. Count me in as someone who's always had sleeping issues and I'm restless (and lately, some depression and anxiety). I started taking Valerian then it stopped working; switched over to Melatonin. It's OK but seems to be weak over time. Finally went to a doc (this is years ago) and was prescribed Tamezepam and I had such horrible nightmares, I couldn't take it anymore. Cut to more recently, I got a prescription for Ambien for the first time and it's one of the only things that I can count on to knock me out and stay asleep. I only take a half and that's fine. I get slight headaches the next day sometimes, but no other terrible side effects unless it's something I'm not aware of. Can you have intense dreams from taking an Ambien the night before? Because that has happened, but not necessarily nightmares. Anyway - I'm one of those people whose mind races before bed.. it's awful.

by Anonymousreply 3001/26/2013

I took some years ago. They didn't work at all.

by Anonymousreply 3101/26/2013

R30, you may do better on Amitriptyline, a prescription drug, which is taken an hour or two before bedtime.

I've taken it nightly for a couple of decades.

It makes you sleepy and puts you to sleep. No bad after effects in the mornings.

It was once used as an anti-depression medication many years ago, but in recent 15 years or more, physicians have used it to induce sleep in people who have trouble falling asleep.

by Anonymousreply 3201/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.