Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Eldergay Thread Warning: Did Ginger Rogers hate Fred Astaire?

They were both on Broadway before Hollywood, but Fred and his sister were superstars long before Ginger entered the picture. Ginger had a 3 year head start in Hollywood before Fred got there, but Fred's first roll was playing himself!

I imagine with the first couple of pictures it was smooth. Then Ginger found out that Fred was getting a cut from the box office and she wasn't had to have chapped her hide.

Bueller?

by Anonymousreply 8811/18/2012

[quote] but Fred's first roll

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 301/23/2012

Didn't Astaire say that his favorite dance partner was Rita Hayworth?

by Anonymousreply 501/23/2012

I have always heard that they were professional toward one another -- cordial but not especially close. Ginger never thought she got enough credit for what she did; she loved that quote that "He gave her class, but she gave him sex[iness]."

I know she drank a bit, but I never heard that she was a lush or in any way unprofessional when filming.

by Anonymousreply 701/23/2012

I think you mean Eleanor Powell.

by Anonymousreply 901/23/2012

If one cane trust "answer.com:"

Actually Fred Astaire always balked at naming anyone as his favorite dance partner. However near the end of his life he stated that Rita Hayworth was his favorite.

by Anonymousreply 1001/23/2012

"Actually Fred Astaire always balked at naming anyone as his favorite dance partner. However near the end of his life he stated that Rita Hayworth was his favorite."

Wouldn't it have been more gallant of him to say his sister?

Although I guess maybe by the time you get old, you don't care and figure you might as well answer with the truth.

by Anonymousreply 1101/23/2012

R8 could you please elaborate?

by Anonymousreply 1201/23/2012

Enough of this topic! Let's role!

by Anonymousreply 1401/23/2012

Yeah, Fred and Ginger were never exactly chummy, but I don't think they hated each other.

Ginger's mother was a Mama Rose.

by Anonymousreply 1601/23/2012

Wasn't Ginger an ultra-conservative who supported McCarthyism?

by Anonymousreply 1701/23/2012

The only partner Fred ever had who took attention away from him was Judy Garland. When they danced together, you watched HER, not him.

Rita was the most elegant, beautiful partner Fred ever had. The title of one of their films "You Were Never Lovelier" is a perfect and true one.

Eleanor Powell was the most technically proficient. The best tap number (in my opinion) ever committed to film is "Begin the Beguine" from Broadway Melody of 1940." Timeless in its perfection, with a high gloss black and white MGM set. She and Fred were jaw droppingly good in it but, as others have noted, she was too masculine for him. There was no balance. At best there was a mutual respect for talent.

Fred and Ginger were celluloid magic. There was an alchemy between them that, whether or not they were close personal friends, just jumps off the screen. It's one of those "undefineable" somethings that happens once in awhile. They both were class personified with regard to how they always referred to each other or mentioned each other in interviews. Very few ever, I think, really knew how they felt. It was clear that by the end of the 30's not only were THEY tired of working together, so was America. The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle was a pale shadow of their earlier success.

by Anonymousreply 1801/23/2012

[quote] Eleanor Powell was the most technically proficient. The best tap number (in my opinion) ever committed to film is "Begin the Beguine" from Broadway Melody of 1940."

So true. I have watched this so many times and I am mesmerized by her. I barely notice Fred though he's sure not bad.

Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 1901/23/2012

[quote]Yeah, Fred and Ginger were never exactly chummy, but I don't think they hated each other.

I remembering hearing somewhere (TCM?, AMC?) that during the "cheek to cheek" dance Rogers wore a ostrich feather dress on purpose to annoy Astaire. The feathers keep blinding him and getting in has mouth. He demanded a costume change but "Mama Rose" was having none of it. a mighty row ensued but the dress stayed in.

Top Hat is a classic by the way. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 2001/24/2012

I saw some interview with Ginger later in life where she said, "People refer to 'the Fred Astaire movies'... well, you know, I was in them too..." and she said it with a bitchy tone that implied she had a real chip on her shoulder about it.

The comment surprised me since I don't think anyone actually does refer to the movies the two of them made as "Fred Astaire movies" - always "Astaire-Rogers" or "Fred and Ginger" movies. It's his movies with OTHER partners like Hayward, Charisse, etc. that people might refer to as "Fred Astaire movies". It was like she was looking for a reason to be bitter, whether it was true or not.

by Anonymousreply 2101/24/2012

"The only partner Fred ever had who took attention away from him was Judy Garland. When they danced together, you watched HER, not him."

MARY!!

by Anonymousreply 2201/24/2012

"during the "cheek to cheek" dance Rogers wore a ostrich feather dress on purpose to annoy Astaire. The feathers keep blinding him and getting in has mouth."

That dress was magic on film, whoever they insisted that it be kept regard less of inconvinience was right. The damn thing wafts, and makes them look almost like they're dancing in slow-motion when they're not - it made the number absolutely dreamlike.

I ought to post that on the "best gown or dress in film" thread, if nobody else has. Has anyone else got it in their threadwatcher?

by Anonymousreply 2301/24/2012

I did post about Bernard Herrmann the costume designer who designed Ginger's gowns in that Edith Head/Jean Louis thread....though I neglected to mention the ostrich feather gown specifically. I'll bump that thread for you now r23.

IIRC Fred writes about that dress in his autobiography Steps in Time and says that while the feathers were annoying, they were well worth the magic the gown created for the number. He was no fool.

He also writes about the heavily beaded gown Ginger wore in Follow the Fleet in the rooftop dance (is the number Change Partners?) the sleeves of which would fly up and slap him in the face. Again, he still appreciated the beauty of the dress.

by Anonymousreply 2401/24/2012

For me Fred was at his best with Cyd Charisse, and later Barrie Chase. Audrey Hepburn was simply far too young for him in the otherwise perfect Funny Face.

But he and Ginger are an equal team in their movies together, I have never though found her interesting or attractive on her own and she seems to have been a very right wing bigot too, with her dreadful mother.

by Anonymousreply 2501/24/2012

That would be Bernard Newman, not Bernard Herrmann!

by Anonymousreply 2601/24/2012

While I can believe that Ginger might have been a Republican, I'd like to see some documentation that she was a right-wing McCarthyite. Her close friend (and cousin-in-law) was the great liberal Democrat Bennett Cerf.

by Anonymousreply 2701/24/2012

As I recall, Ginger paid for her stubbornness about the feather dress. He rehearsed her until her feet bled. He was a terror to work with, a perfectionist. Relentless, according to her.

She ultimately respected him, and grudgingly acknowledged that he was a master, but there was always the residual resentment that she never felt that she got her props. She felt she was his equal, not one of his many partners.

I can see why she'd feel that way. After all. Other women are mentioned as dancing with Astaire, but Fred and Ginger were an institution. I think she felt he didn't respect her, and was too hard on her.

But he was so huge at the time,there's no way they'd have worked together as successfully as they did if he didn't appreciate her talent.

I wonder. Did Fred ever acknowledge her? Was his "Rita Hayworth was my favorite" a deliberate slap at Ginger, or a way to show kindness to Rita.

R17 is correct. Ginger testified before the House Committee on Unamerican Activities (HUAC) and she named names. She was also very public in her support of Sen. McCarthy.

Her mother guided her career as a Mama Rose, and both Ginger and Mom were Arch -Conservatives. No worse than Reagan who was an FBI informant while President of SAG.

by Anonymousreply 2801/24/2012

Fred's nickname for Ginger was Miss Wasp.

I do not think she hated him - but she was a bit perturbed that she was not given much credit for her work with him and without him.

She came through town in a play headed for Broadway - that never made it - and several of us were in the cast as pick ups. Ginger had a lot of facial hair. She was slow on the take with lines, and I don't think ever said everything she was supposed to say. During intermission, she was always running lines for the second act.

We could only speak to her in character onstage, and if she spoke to us offstage, we were to refer to her as Miss Rogers...not that she ever spoke to anyone.

On opening night, when she entered....and the audience applauded for her....she pranced around like a little pony and did a few dance steps. Unfortunately, she wasn't doing a musical.

by Anonymousreply 2901/24/2012

Sadly, both Fred AND Ginger testified at the McCarthy hearings.

And I'm with the posters who said Judy AND Rita were the stars who took attention away from Astaire....as was Betty Hutton, but for all the wrong reasons.

I would have loved to have seen Fred with Betty Grable. Or Jessie Matthews (whom Fred wanted for A DAMSEL IN DISTRESS and who MGM sought for one of the BROADWAY MELODYs)

by Anonymousreply 3001/24/2012

Oh....it WAS a musical....how could I forget? Ginger does mention it in her autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 3101/24/2012

Nothing tops this for me.

by Anonymousreply 3301/24/2012

I recall a story that when she won the Oscar for Kitty Foyle, Fred sent her a one word telegram. "Owch!"

by Anonymousreply 3401/24/2012

I was reading through the thread waiting to post what R25 did.

I love Fred Astaire with Cyd Charisse in Dancing in the Dark.

by Anonymousreply 3501/24/2012

[quote]She took no risks.

I disagree. Playing decidedly unglamorous and vulgar Roxie Hart was a hell of a risk.

by Anonymousreply 3601/24/2012

That's too funny, R33. I can imagine us searching at the same time across the interwebs.

by Anonymousreply 3701/24/2012

Cyd was too much woman for Astaire. She had to wear flats and was too voluptuous for Fred's manner of dance as partner. Fred did batter with waif type very feminine women. Rogers was the best partner for Fred and they had the most entertaining dance partnership in the history of film, so far.

by Anonymousreply 3801/24/2012

I always liked the joke:

What's old, wrinkled, and smells like Ginger?

Fred Astaire's face.

by Anonymousreply 3901/24/2012

Who are these peeps? Y'all sound mad old.

by Anonymousreply 4001/24/2012

Fred's favorite partner was Cyd Charisse, because he preferred partners who had been classically trained. For the record, Ginger and Rita were first cousins, a good bit of trivia. Ginger was definitely the most conservative big female star in Hollywood in her time. Both she and her mother testified before the House UnAmerican Activities Committee, which Joe McCarthy had nothing to do with. He was too busy being godfather to Kathleen Kennedy Townsend.

by Anonymousreply 4101/24/2012

[quote]I wonder. Did Fred ever acknowledge her?

When he discussed the grueling rehearsals they went through, he said that everyone cried and said they couldn't do it, except Ginger.

by Anonymousreply 4201/24/2012

Fred stated that his favorite co-star was Bing Crosby in Holiday Inn. He was sooooo gay-like, very feminine.

by Anonymousreply 4301/24/2012

Ginger Rogers was NOT Rita's blood relative. Rita's mother's brother, Vinton Hayworth, (Rita's uncle) was married to Ginger's mother's sister, Jean Owens (Ginger's aunt).

by Anonymousreply 4401/24/2012

[quote]Ginger had a lot of facial hair

Judy Garland once sent her a gift to be opened before an entire film crew. It turned out to be a shaving mug.

by Anonymousreply 4501/24/2012

[quote]Judy Garland once sent her a gift to be opened before an entire film crew. It turned out to be a shaving mug.

r45 - and on the set of Barkleys, the movie in which Judy had been replaced by fuzz-nuts.

by Anonymousreply 4601/24/2012

Many thanks for the clarification, R44. Another trivia item bites the dust.

by Anonymousreply 4701/24/2012

r40, if you don't know who the fuck Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers are then you need to go fucking EDUCATE yourself, dumbass. You sound "mad" IGNORANT.

by Anonymousreply 4801/24/2012

R48, is it very fashionable today to brag ignorance about events that happened before you were born. It's like Before Me and After Me. kinda like BC and AD.

by Anonymousreply 4901/24/2012

[quote]As the comment from a Frank and Ernest cartoon (quoted by Ann Richards) said - she did everything Astaire did, except backwards and in heels

Love Ann Richards, but no, Ginger didn't. In many of their early numbers he either literally danced around her or performed more difficult steps (check out the "Cheek to Cheek" number from Top Hat). Also, in every one of their films he performed a solo dance when she's not even on screen.

Ginger's mother testified before HCUA in 1948, the year of the Hollywood Ten, but neither Rogers nor Astaire ever did so. There was some flap over a wartime film Ginger made (Tender Comrade) in which various Rosie the Riveter types save money by living together. Ginger's line "Share and share alike--that's the American way" was later labelled Commie by the right, but to my knowledge she never testified. She left that job to dear old Mom.

BTW, I remember in 1968 when Gene Kelly came out for Humphrey, Astaire declared for Nixon.

When all is said and done, Ginger remains Fred's best partner. Maybe not dancing partner, but screen partner. Cyd Charisse looked better dancing with Gene Kelly (though reading between the lines of her joint autobiography with Tony Martin, it's clear she preferred Astaire). Rita Hayworth was a terrific dancer, but that's too much estrogen for Fred to handle, though I do love their "I'm Old Fashioned" number.

by Anonymousreply 5001/24/2012

[R45] Judy had to be removed from the set, all the time shouting 4 letter words at Ginger-snap! Ginger ran off in tears when she opened the shaving mug. You gotta admit, that was funny. Judy had quite enough at that point!

by Anonymousreply 5101/24/2012

Why would Garland have been on a set she'd been fired from?

by Anonymousreply 5201/24/2012

She was still under MGM contract and had free run of the place. The studio didn't terminate her contract until 1950 or 1952, IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 5301/24/2012

R30 as has been pointed out, the "McCarthy hearings" were separate from the House Committee on Unamerican Activities. Joeseph McCarthy was a U.S. Senator and his committee and his reign of terror lasted for a remnarkable 18 months or so.

The House committee was around for years. They were much more destructive, and had a profound and lasting affect on careers. They destroyed lives and livelihoods. McCarthy's Senate committee was also very destructive and destroyed lives.

by Anonymousreply 5401/24/2012

they didn't want Ginger to do what Fred did -- her part was meant to make her look weak and at his 'disposal.'

Ginger, Judy, Piaf and....?

by Anonymousreply 5501/24/2012

Faye Emerson and Sonja Henie!

by Anonymousreply 5601/24/2012

She was rather wonderful in Stage Door. It seems like she lost her spark as she aged, unlike say, Katherine Hepburn or Roz Russell.

by Anonymousreply 5701/24/2012

Wasn't Fred a demanding perfectionist ?

by Anonymousreply 5901/24/2012

r57 I always thought Ginger was quite sparkly and spunky still in the early 50s in Howard Hawks' Monkey Business co-starring Cary Grant and Marilyn Monroe.

by Anonymousreply 6001/25/2012

[quote]Eleanor Parker was the best dance partner Astaire ever had

You mean Eleanor Powell....lol.

by Anonymousreply 6101/25/2012

"The Major and The Minor" is one of my favorite Ginger films.

She was also good in "Storm Warning" with Doris Day and humpy, hunky and hairy Steve Cochran (Rumored to be hung right up there with Milton Berle and Forrest Tucker.)

One of those "That's Entertainment" films slowed down that chicken feathered dance to show the feathers flying off of the dress as they whirled hither and yon. Fred was also smacked in the mouth by a feather or two. Good times.

In an old Laverne and Shirley episode. Squiggy was talking about one of their neighbors and he referred to him as "Fred, upstairs." I laughed for 10 minutes. I was easily amused when I was a youngergay.

by Anonymousreply 6301/25/2012

She was very sassy and spunky in most of her non-Astaire films in the 30s and 40s.....really an entirely different persona than the soignee and cold mannequin she projected in the Astaire films.

by Anonymousreply 6401/25/2012

I thought she showed a lot of warmth in the Fred & Ginger movies. In which one(s) was she soignee and a cold mannequin?

by Anonymousreply 6501/25/2012

Photo at R55, was Edith Piaf's opening night (Sept. 1950) at The Versailles, a popular NY club in the late 40s and 50s.

THE MIDNIGHT EARL - TRIUMPH: Edith Piaf, the French chanteuse, proved beyond doubt that she's the biggest chi-chi cafe attraction today when Judy Garland, Ginger Rogers, Sonja Henie, Faye Emerson (with Skitch Henderson), Yvonne de Carlo, Robert Montgomery, Dan Dailey and Connie Haines all attended her Versailles opening. Never been such a glamour turnout in my time.

I'm not elder enough to know about this. I asked my friend Google and found Earl Wilson's column.

by Anonymousreply 6601/25/2012

I was surprised to read several years ago that while Astaire re-recorded all of his own taps for the final soundtrack, choreographer Hermes Pan usually re-recorded Ginger's taps. You're seeing Fred and Ginger, but you're hearing Fred and Hermes Pan. Regardless, I love the Astaire movies with Rogers far more than any of the movies without her.

by Anonymousreply 6701/25/2012

Ginger and Hepburn absolutely hated each other when they were both at RKO in the 30's. "Stage Door" was a real battle for them. Kate referred to Ginger as "Ginger-snap", and thought she was very common.

by Anonymousreply 6801/25/2012

In fairness to Ginger-snap, Katie Hepburn thought any girl who liked to kiss boys was "common."

by Anonymousreply 6901/25/2012

I like Rogers up until 1942. After that she's unwatchable. She has a nasty edge and her kiddie impersonations got old very fast.

The movie THE HARD WAY was based loosely on Ginger's marriage to Lew Ayres and her mother's destruction of said union. Rogers even recognized it when she read the script.

I can't think of his name but one of the people who Rogers named was the screenwriter of her film FIFTH AVENUE GIRL who she claimed made her spout communist propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 7001/25/2012

Right, R70. She took on that combination of hard-brass edge and dumbshit awshucks that seemed to suggest anger, laziness and a mind on other things.

Her early career showed her with a nuanced depth she never regained. And of course the older she got the worse she got. Like her intelligence just leaked out of her.

by Anonymousreply 7101/25/2012

What are some of these films she was so bad in in the late 1940s/50s?

I only know her later work from Monkey Business and The Barkeleys of Broadway (both in the 50s) and love her in both.

by Anonymousreply 7201/25/2012

I've always had the feeling it was Hermes Pan she hated.

by Anonymousreply 7301/25/2012

Did she ever tap much in those Astaire/Rogers films? What numbers? I thought most of the taps were Fred solos.

by Anonymousreply 7401/25/2012

Supposedly Fred and Ginger had hooked up a few times in New York in the early 30s before he was married and came to Hollywood. So Mrs Astaire was always giving Ginge the side eye (and this is also why there are no kissing scenes in Rodgers and Astaire movies)

by Anonymousreply 7504/08/2012

Ginger Rogers makes me gag whenever I see even a picture of her. I just get this terrible feeling when it comes to her. Actually, it's the same with James Stewart and John Wayne...

by Anonymousreply 7604/08/2012

He was so unattractive, even as a kid watching Rogers-Astaire films, I wondered why would a good looking woman go for a fug like him.

by Anonymousreply 7704/08/2012

According to Robert Osborne, she liked Fred Astaire very well. She just did not want to be percieved as "the student" or even moreso, allow a svengali situation, and went on her own.

by Anonymousreply 7804/08/2012

[28] Reagan and his then-wife, Jane Wyman were FBI informants during World War II. At that time Reagan was a very vocal Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 7904/08/2012

[quote]What are some of these films she was so bad in in the late 1940s/50s?

Try, "Forever Female" which is a really grade Z rip off of "All About Eve". Even though it's from only 1952, the talent and thrill is GONE!

by Anonymousreply 8004/08/2012

Because she was on their board of directors, Ginger appeared in a production of Our Town at my friend's college in the early 70s.

She played The Stage Manager but because she was too lazy/busy to learn her lines, they gave one of the students many of her lines and called him The Assistant Stage Manager.

True story!

by Anonymousreply 8104/08/2012

r32: Matthews was involved in a big divorce scandal in 1930 when she seduced Sonnie Hale away from his wife Evelyn Lane. The trial featured "steamy" letters written by Matthews to Hale: "the court was told about the heavenly nights enjoyed by her husband and his devastatingly attractive mistress, and listening to the sexually explicit love letters which Jessie Matthews had written to her married lover, which his wife had discovered. 'My Darling,' she wrote in one that was read aloud, 'I want you and need you badly, all of you, and for a very long time. I am lying here, waiting for you to possess me. The dear little boobs, which you love so much, are waiting for you also.'"

'Dear little boobs'?

Presumably, RKO was nervous about importing the saucy Jessie to post-code America.

Fred and his sister were friendly with Matthews.

by Anonymousreply 8304/09/2012

Read about Ginger in No Pickle No Performance.

Ask anyone who did Dolly with her about the receiving line.

Ask anyone who did Nanette with her about the conductor changing jackets for her numbers.

Ask anyone in the orchestra pit of the London Mame about the Christmas Jellybeans.

Then once you've done that watch Harlow or The First Traveling Saleslady or Quick Let's Get Married.

Wonder what she was like in Coco or Molly Brown or Annie Get Your Gun or Calamity Jane or Tovarich or Forty Carats or any of the other stage pieces she did.

by Anonymousreply 8511/18/2012

Rita Hayworth danced with such joyous abandon. You can tell she is not really trained, just a natural. Not everyone can get away with that, but Rita was a very good "natural", but she has no technique at all. I love her for it!

by Anonymousreply 8611/18/2012

I know someone who did Tovarich was Rogers. He said she was the worst person he ever worked with, and he worked with almost everyone including Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 8711/18/2012

Harold J. Kennedy in No Pickle...says that of all the ladies he worked with (and he worked with many, as the book details) Ginger was the coldest, and one of the toughest, and cheap too. He did Bell Book & Candle with her. He acted in the show and directed her in it, and she insisted on her then-husband, who had no acting experience at all, as her co-star.

And he wrote it in the 1970s when she was still alive and well and working!

by Anonymousreply 8811/18/2012
Need more help? Click Here.