Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Reynolds Cast in Tim Burton-Produced Big Eyes

They'll play Margaret and Walter Keane, a couple whose signature paintings of wide-eyed children became a hugely commercial pop art sensation in the 1950s and '60s.

Will this save their tanking careers by doing a "serious" movie?

by Anonymousreply 2504/03/2013

I hated those paintings in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 101/23/2012

This sounds more campy than 'serious'.

by Anonymousreply 301/23/2012

Interesting idea, the Keanes ended up fighting each other in court over the royalties from those godawful paintings.

The story could be turned into a black comedy, in the right hands. Like, not Tim Burton's.

by Anonymousreply 401/23/2012

I wasn't familiar with these paintings, but they are fucking hideous and creepy. Why the hell were they popular??

by Anonymousreply 501/23/2012

I'm surprised he didn't cast Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter as the Keanes...

REALLY surprised.

by Anonymousreply 601/23/2012

I was just thinking of this last night because I'm reading MY WAY OF LIFE by Joan Crawford and their paintings are heavily featured in the photos of Crawford's home. I couldn't think of the artist's name. Crawford was an avid Keane collector.

by Anonymousreply 701/23/2012

No1curr.

by Anonymousreply 801/23/2012

The Keanes were the Thomas Kinkaids of their day, without the stores in malls. But the same taste level.

by Anonymousreply 901/23/2012

I'm sure Ryan Reynolds will set the screen on fire with his flaming ways and gay voice.

by Anonymousreply 1001/23/2012

I had no idea these suckers were so expensive. A friend of mine has one she bought in the 60's. I'll have to nick it next time at her house.

by Anonymousreply 1101/23/2012

There was a picture she painted with a bunch of dead eyed children that freaked me the fuck out when I was a kid. It was some kind of anti-drug thing. Thinking about it now still is creepy.

by Anonymousreply 1201/23/2012

[quote]I'm surprised he didn't cast Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter as the Keanes...

Johnny probably wasn't interested because there was no wacky makeup and hair required.

by Anonymousreply 1301/24/2012

r4, Tim Burton could turn it into a new day "War of the Roses".

by Anonymousreply 1401/24/2012

This does not deserve to be a movie.

by Anonymousreply 1501/30/2012

Now starring Amy Adams and Christoph Waltz. Hey, at least it's not Ryan Reynolds or Johnny Depp.

by Anonymousreply 1604/02/2013

At least they cast real actors! Greasy Reese has a bad, bad reputation as a Mean Girl. Ryan Reynolds could not act his way out of a paper bag.

by Anonymousreply 1704/02/2013

I don't get the Reese hate.

by Anonymousreply 1804/02/2013

[quote] Interesting idea, the Keanes ended up fighting each other in court over the royalties from those godawful paintings

The husband had been telling everyone that he was the artist that painted most of those pictures. He published a biography that stated it too. So the wife, who was actually the artist that painted most of the pictures took him to court. The judge challenged them to an art duel. He brought out canvases and paints and told them to both paint a picture. The husband refused and gave some bullshit excuse about an injured arm. The wife painted a picture in less than an hour. She won the court case

by Anonymousreply 1904/02/2013

I am sure that Reese is lovely. If you are an A-lister. I loved her in "Election." If she can make another good movie, I would support her again in a second. She seems very into self-producing now.

by Anonymousreply 2004/03/2013

I think the casting is perfect. They're both completely insipid. Like the paintings.

The prices at R11's link (thanks, R11) made me laugh out loud. I get that it's kitsch, but who would want that shit hanging in their house?

by Anonymousreply 2104/03/2013

Reese was amazing in Ekection, very good in Cruel Intentions and Freeway, and held her own in Walk the Line. Haven't seen much if her more recent work, but those four make a pretty good career.

by Anonymousreply 2204/03/2013

And Legally Blonde always makes me laugh. She lost her spark after the Oscar. This film is better off with Amy Adams and Christoph Waltz. They are cheaper for the budget but better actors for the material. And it's interesting that Tim Burton came back on as the director. Now it will get made.

by Anonymousreply 2304/03/2013

I think it will be a flop.

by Anonymousreply 2404/03/2013

That just gave me sad eyes.

by Anonymousreply 2504/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.