Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Your Favorite Disney Canon Film

Been wondering about this last night since the husband took me to see Beauty & the Beast 3D.The 3D didn't add much, but it as lovely to see it on a big screen, and, like the big MARY! that I am, I cried when Angela Lansbury sang the title song.

I was a little saddened to see that they'd removed the lovely dedication to Howard Ashman "...who gave a mermaid her voice and a beast his soul," but still, great movie, great songs, and great animation.

So, to the Disney canon then. I can't get all the entries in 10 choices, you if you love something else, vote "Other" and say why. I'm leaving out the Pixar films and their releases from Studio Ghibli, and am sticking to the traditionally animated movies from Walt Disney Animation Studios. And I'll try to get one from each era.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8210/19/2013

The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Out There is the gayest Disney song ever (in the good way).

by The Voice of the Nightreply 101/22/2012

You know, I've never truly understood the adoration that gets heaped on "Dalmations." But I know a lot of people love it.

So aside from our Hunchback friend, what are you "Other" people favoring?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 201/22/2012

Maleficient: Oh, dear. I was rather hoping Sleeping Beauty left off this list was due to some oversight. Well, I guess I'd better be on my way...

Voice of the Night: And, you're not offended, Your Excellency?

Maleficient: Why, no, dear. And to show my goodwill, I too shall bestow a gift upon you. Listen well. VOTN shall indeed grow up in grace and beauty, beloved by all those who know him. But, on the eve of your 16th birthday...you shall price your finger upon a spindle wheel AND YOUR DICK WILL FALL OFF!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 301/22/2012

The Lion King.

"Remember who you are..."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 401/22/2012

My favorite Dyan Cannon film is "Caddyshack II."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 501/22/2012

"The Disney Canon?"

by The Voice of the Nightreply 601/22/2012

Tell me this isn't a gay anthem

by The Voice of the Nightreply 701/22/2012

[quote]The Lion King.

For me, The Lion King is a very, very strong second.

"The king has returned."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 801/22/2012

I voted for "The Little Mermaid."

"The Lion King" marked my official disdain for Disney films. It came out when I was 13 and we saw it opening weekend. I fell asleep and that was that.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 901/22/2012

Yes R8, I love that line, too.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1001/22/2012

"The Aristocats"

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1101/22/2012

The Aristocats is another movie that I don't get.

Ditto "The Fox and Hound," which I always find horribly depressing to apparently the book it's based on is even worse.

It's funny: Ten years after Beauty and the Beast was nominated as Best Picture, they created the Best Animated Feature Oscar. In that time, it's been won by Pixar 6 times (Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, and Toy Story Three) by Studio Ghibli once (Spirited Away), but Disney proper has never taken home the prize for its own work. I know Pixar is in-house now, but John Lassater runs Walt Disney Animation Studios as a separate entity.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1201/22/2012

I voted for Beauty, but Princess & The Frog is a strong second. I was damned happy to see two female friends who really gave a shit about one another, even if it meant only one got to be a princess and get her man.

Didn't hurt that Tiana didn't expect a prince to make her dreams come true, but found that working with one made shit happen a whole lot quicker.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1301/22/2012

I have conflicting feelings about The Fox and the Hound. It's certainly not my favorite Disney movie, but it's the first movie that ever made me cry. I saw it twice as a little kid and both times I cried...not because I was scared, but because it was horribly sad. I really wonder what Disney was going for when they released that film...

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1401/22/2012

Disaapointed that Aladin isn't one of the options so I voted for Little Mermaid. Aladin came out when I was in college and a group of my fraternity brothers and I saw it about 7 times once it came out at the dollar theater. I still sing along whenever A Whole New World is played. Same goes true for Prince Ali's entrance march. Song starts at 1:20 mark.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1601/22/2012

Where's Dumbo on this list?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1701/22/2012

No Bambi, no Pinocchio and no Fantasia but you listed The Rescuers and The Princess and the Frog?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1801/22/2012

I do believe that Bambi and Pinocchio represent the pinnacle of the distinctive Disney touch. Bambi startled me when I saw it again as an adult; it is truly an artistic masterpiece, very different from most later Disney studio oeuvres.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1901/22/2012

It's hard to pick a favorite Disney movie. I loved Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty and The Rescuers and Beauty and the Beast. But if I had to pick a favorite, I guess it would have to be Dumbo. The "Pink Elephants on Parade" sequence never ceases to delight me.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2001/22/2012

I don't really care for Bambi as a whole. Parts, yes, but the movie was too disturbing for me. I hate Snow White, too, but only because of her voice.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2101/22/2012

Despite its problematic politics and brazen disregard for historical accuracy, [italic]Pocahontas[/italic] is a film I can watch over and over.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2201/22/2012

[quote]No Bambi, no Pinocchio and no Fantasia but you listed The Rescuers and The Princess and the Frog?

I was trying to make sure that I included one from each decade, though the 80s (with the exception of Little Mermaid) were kind of a wasteland.

And I actually love The Rescuers. It has a haunting set of opening titles, Eva Gabor and Bob Newhart's delightful performances as Miss Bianca and Bernard. And Geraldine Page vamping it up as Madame Medusa. She has the most horrible line telling poor little kidnapped Penny that it doesn't matter if she never gets back to the orphanage because she'll never be adopted: "Who could ever want a homely little girl like you?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2301/22/2012

Lady & the Tramp.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2401/22/2012

It would have been tight between "Dumbo" and "Fantasia" for me, if we're really talking about canonical films. They were surprising and (as far as I know) completely original, and became kind of mythic on their own.

From the more recent era, I liked "Aladdin" better than the more popular ones listed (Lions and Mermaids and Beasts, oh my). It was goofy and light, yet the songs were very good and the animation was very well done. It sure wasn't a toss-off like so many of the Disney films of the 70s and 80s. The Sword in the Stone, anyone?

Not to be too critical, most esteemed OP/VOTN; you had a limited number of slots for the poll. But "The Rescuers," come on.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2501/22/2012

Clarifying about "Fantasia": obviously it wasn't *completely* original in that it used classical music and "The Sorcerer's Apprentice," at least, was loosely based on an existing story. But it was a new approach to Disney animated film (and psychedelic, too).

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2601/22/2012

The Jungle Book

Even as an adult I'm a big fan of The Jungle Book. I still hum the songs sometimes in the middle of any given day. That might be because I play the CD occasionally.

Give me the power

Of man's red flower

So I can be like you.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2701/22/2012

The Rescuers. Its is a great movie even though its less known that the others.

Aladdin is second. A Whole New World won an Oscar and also took Whitney Houston off #1 1993.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2801/22/2012

Song of the South

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2901/22/2012

"Sleeping Beauty"--Maleficent is (literally) one fierce and fiery bitch. It's pretty damn dark for a "kid's" cartoon.

"Alice In Wonderland"--wonderfully, acid-trippy. Would the Disney of 2012 even dare to use the Caterpillar character and the numerous "drink me" and "eat me" prompts?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3101/22/2012

I chose The Rescuers. As a little gayling I was obsessed with Madame Medusa.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3201/22/2012

Given these choices, I went with The Rescuers.

I did see The Little Mermaid on acid, though, and that was pretty fun.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3301/22/2012

Beauty and the Beast was my childhood favorite, I had a weird fixation on Sleeping Beauty and The Sword in the Stone among the films that were released before my time, Mulan was the one middle school girls watched at sleepover parties when we were theoretically a little too old to be renting Disney movies, Lilo and Stitch was really delightful and is my favorite among Disney movies that came out when I was so old that I legitimately don't even know why I ended up seeing them. Haven't seen Princess and the Frog or Tangled but I heard they were both pretty good.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3401/22/2012

Lady and the Tramp. I love the songs by Peggy Lee, especially the Christmas carol.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3501/22/2012

Though not a 'canon' Disney film, my favorite is DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE with Sean Connery and Janet Munro.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3601/22/2012

I was obsessed with all of those great Disney "Magic Mirror" Series Childrens records.

My favorite was "Babes in Toyland" which had the storybook, all of these great drawings, yet Disney decided to make it live action.

Why didn't Disney do an animated movie of Babes In Toyland?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3701/22/2012

Another vote for "Lady and the Tramp."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3801/22/2012

I think Hunchback has the most sophisticated score and some of the richest animation of any Disney film. The opening sequence is breathtaking.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3901/22/2012

Note the chorus singing the Dies Irae from the requiem mass, and the little reference to Edgar Allen Poe's famous poem.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4001/22/2012

In the 1990s at Walt Disney World (at what was then called Disney-MGM Studios) they had a shortened stage show of Hunchback that was really quite remarkable. Many songs from the movie, but told using humans and large rod puppets. Very moving. Here is Part 1 (of 8).

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4101/22/2012

Ooh, ooh another vote for "The Sword In The Stone"

Love, it

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4201/22/2012

Tarzan, because it's the sexiest.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4301/22/2012

Aladdin

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4401/22/2012

[quote]A lot of it is to differentiate the official theatrical films from the cheapy Direct-to-Video crap they started churning out which, upon the merger with Pixar was promptly stopped because John Lassater, as the new head of the entire animation division felt it cheapened them. He was right now that.

That's a bullshit story because Toy Story 2 was written and produced by Pixar as a made for video release. It wasn't until the powers that be at Disney saw it and said wait a minute, this is as good as the original. Lassiter had no aversion to direct to video.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4501/22/2012

I saw "Beauty and the Beast" when I was thirty-five, and was absolutely blown away. It's a nearly perfect movie, and those parts that aren't perfect are forgiveable.

But then, I've always liked the wierder Disney films, like "The Three Caballeros", "Sleeping Beauty", "Aladin", and "Fantasia". I can't stand Disneyland, "Snow White", or "Pinocchio", though, so I'm not a proper Disney fan.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4601/23/2012

[That's a bullshit story because Toy Story 2 was written and produced by Pixar as a made for video release. It wasn't until the powers that be at Disney saw it and said wait a minute, this is as good as the original. Lassiter had no aversion to direct to video.]

Actually, I think it was Steve jobs who suggested they make it a feature. And from what I understand, th DTV version of the movie was a lot different.

But all that was before the merger.

My point is, they're no longer churning out all the DTV sequels done with inferior animation by the TV animators.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4701/23/2012

"These movies--to a one--are bad for the self-esteem of little girls in a variety of ways. They're bad for society, a fact that is largely accepted by the many sensible people who keep these terrible films away from their children. It's very strange to see people praise them."

Are you a troll or just a big fat idiot? These movies are pure fantasy, you twat. Even little girls know that! And I doubt there are very many "sensible people who keep these terrible films away from their children." The only people I can think of who would do that would have to be insane religious fanatics.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4801/23/2012

I want to bust TVOFTN's chops. Aladdin should totally be on that list.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4901/23/2012

Mary Poppins

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5001/23/2012

I'm happy to see a few votes for "Lady and the Tramp."

And here's another one!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5101/23/2012

Emperor's New Groove is so underrated.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5201/23/2012

Hate Pixar, yeah I said it. The only Pixar I like was "UP" and even that fell apart during the last twenty minutes. Pixar killed the traditional musical animation that Disney does best. At least "Tangled" shows that Disney can still a) make a terrific musical and b) Do CGI better than Pixar.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5301/23/2012

R48, there's a huge anti-Disney movement. Look it up. You fucking pustule.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5401/24/2012

Aladdin by far!!! Mulan is a close second. I love The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, though, too. I like The Lion King a lot, but always thought it was overrated.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5501/24/2012

Another vote for Mary Poppins

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5601/24/2012

[quote]I want to bust TVOFTN's chops. Aladdin should totally be on that list.

Aladdin bothers me because it's a bunch of Robin Williams' mugging for the camera, or I guess, in this case, the microphone.

But then, while I appreciate the historic nature and beautiful animation of Snow White, I actually don't like the movie that much, mostly because Snow is a complete drip.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5701/24/2012

My fav is Black Cauldron... muahaha!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5801/24/2012

Also, Pixar didn't destroy the traditional Disney animated musical, DISNEY did that to itself. They had produced a string of underperforming flops while Pixar had a bunch of hits. For whatever reason, Disney decided it was the CGI that people liked, not the fact that Pixar movies tend to be endearing movies that can be enjoyed by just about anyone--adults and kids.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5901/24/2012

I have a special fondness for Bambi.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6001/24/2012

"Now you shall deal with ME, oh Prince! And all the Powers of HELL!!"

(Kinda amazing to hear that in a Disney cartoon of 1959)

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6101/24/2012

Isn't Angelina Jolie going to play her in the upcoming movie Malifecent? yummy!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6201/24/2012

I chose Beauty and the Beast, but I also LOVE The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid and Robin Hood (which I still have on DVD even in my 30s).

Also, as a woman and grew up in the 80s watching all those films, I just don't get the "bad for the self-esteem of little girls" bit. They are only damaging if you are a little thickie and think Disney movies are a model for real life (in which case you are fucked anyway and being "protected" from animated films won't save you).

Far more influential to me as a small child were the Golden Girls (who enjoyed men but didn’t NEED them) and the fact that I was in a country whose political leader was a woman (ghastly though she was).

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6301/24/2012

"there's a huge anti-Disney movement. Look it up. You fucking pustule."

Exactly who does this "huge anti-Disney movement" consist of, you fucktard? Unbearable, brain-dead asses like you? Yes, I guess that's what it must consist of. And I doubt that's it's "huge." Disney movies are by far more revered than they are rejected. But I guess there are some twisted clods out there who find them harmful for some reason. No doubt you are one of them.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6401/24/2012

Yes yes, R64, popularity = quality. Revering Disney movies? You need to take a long look in the mirror.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6501/25/2012

I went to see Beauty and the Beast 3D. Like OP, I teared up during the title song. Angela Lansbury is so tender in her vocals, and the lyrics resonate with my own experiences of love won and lost.

Seeing the movie again, I was reminded of watching it 20 years ago. I thought about my hopes and dreams back then, and reflected on how some had come true and some hadn't. The promise of "happily ever after" is one that we all chase, and the film captures that longing for happiness perfectly.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6601/25/2012

I want to bust VOTN's chops for using the annoyingly pretentious term "canon". Why not just specify "theatrical releases"?

I voted Beauty and the Beast, which I'm going to go see in theatres this weekend. I don't care about the 3D (although the ballroom dance scene should be stunning!) but just want to enjoy it again, with friends.

Close second is Lion King, I freaking love that film. I've seen it at least 50 times, maybe more like 75+. I can not only sing every song, I can recite every single line from memory, but it's just soooo good I enjoy watching it again and again.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6701/26/2012

[quote]I want to bust VOTN's chops for using the annoyingly pretentious term "canon". Why not just specify "theatrical releases"?

Because they've made theatrical releases that aren't considered part of the official history of the studio, like a few that were produced by their Direct-to-Video arm.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6801/26/2012

[quote]Because they've made theatrical releases that aren't considered part of the official history of the studio, like a few that were produced by their Direct-to-Video arm.

Such as?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6901/31/2012

I love the Hayley Mills films like "Summer Magic", "The Parent Trap", and "Pollyanna".

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7001/31/2012

[quote]Such as?

All of the Winnie the Pooh movies, except for the one that came out this year, the Peter Pan sequel and the Bambi sequel.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7101/31/2012

"Pinocchio," with "Dumbo" second.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7201/31/2012

Black Cauldron. HA ha! The first ever Disney cartoon that was rated pg.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7302/01/2012

Amen to THE RESCUERS. It might not be well known as BEAUTY & THE BEAST or THE LION KING, but dammit its a winner. Its funny, fresh, has a great story, wonderful characters. I've loved it since I was a kid and my parents gave me a 45 storybook of it. (Yes, I am that old!) I truly think THE RESCUERS has a place on this list. Also, it was a huge box-office success at the time. Really saved Disney.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7402/01/2012

Dumbo ALL THE WAY

A gay elephant. A Talking mouse. the trippy/scary pink elephants on parade where Dumbo pretty much goes to a rave. The underlying message that our differences make us unique.

The only problem is the racist black crows :(

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7502/01/2012

Dumbo is probably one of the three movies from Disney that scarred me for the life. It's not quite as bad as Bambi's mother getting killed or the horrific scene in Pinnochio when the bad boys turn into donkeys, but the scene where Dumbo's mother gets chained up was traumatizing for a school-aged pre-gay.

The worst part of the racist crows is that the main one (who I believe is the only one voiced by a white voice actor) is named "Jim Crow."

Although the Pink Elephants scene is pretty good, although it's also something I appreciate more as an adult.

"I can stand the site of worms/And look at microscopic germs/But Technicolor pachyderms is really too much for me."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7602/04/2012

[quote]It's not quite as bad as Bambi's mother getting killed

That's when I got scarred for life; not because the mother got killed, because my younger brother got hysterical. I wanted to crawl under the seat and pretend that I didn't know him.

Several years later, it happened again when some horse died in a movie. After that I wouldn't let him sit on the same side of the theater.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7702/04/2012

Apropos of nothing, an old TV Funhouse: "Journey to the Disney Vault."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7802/05/2012

Well, I'm now happy. Since this year is the thirty-fifth anniversary of "The Rescuers," Disney will be releasing a Blu-Ray two-pack containing both the first movie and "The Rescuers Down Under" this summer.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7902/05/2012

Yum.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8002/05/2012

"The worst part of the racist crows is that the main one (who I believe is the only one voiced by a white voice actor) is named "Jim Crow."

Oh, lighten the fuck up! The crow's song "When I See An Elephant Fly" is one of the most entertaining parts of the movie.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8102/05/2012

Other: The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad. I really love this movie. It reminds me of watching it after school on the Disney Channel at my grandma's house way back when.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8210/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.