Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A week off for a dog's funeral

This blows my fucking mind.

There's a woman in our department whose dog died last night. She was out of the office today, which is fine. However, I just found out she's taking off all of next week on paid bereavement leave. And my boss is letting her!

I understand people love their pets. But an entire week off for a dead dog is insane.

by Anonymousreply 12201/29/2012

4.5/10

by Anonymousreply 101/20/2012

Be glad you work for a company that allows people to take paid time off for personal reasons.

by Anonymousreply 201/20/2012

Perhaps she has accrued vacation time that you don't know about? Or perhaps you're one of those co-workers who's all up in everybody's business like some cubicle-based Gladys Kravitz?

by Anonymousreply 301/20/2012

For R2 and R3: [quote]paid bereavement leave

by Anonymousreply 401/20/2012

If you're not in a position to set company policy what the fuck business is it of yours, OP?

by Anonymousreply 501/20/2012

OP you are an asshole.

Why is it your business? Is it affecting you?

by Anonymousreply 601/20/2012

Why yes, R6, it is affecting me. Someone has to do that woman's work.

We have some pretty liberal policies in our office, but it's ridiculous to equate the death of a family member to the death of a pet.

by Anonymousreply 701/20/2012

You're just an inconsiderate asshole, OP. To many people, a pet IS the equivalent of another family member. If you don't get that, I'm sorry, but that's the way it is for people who actually have a heart.

by Anonymousreply 801/20/2012

Odd as it may sound to you OP, but some people are not up to dog standards in any way, and happen to occupy a human body.

Most republicans for example.

So do the work and shut the fuck up. Would it be better for you if a family member of hers died? I mean it's all your call.

by Anonymousreply 901/20/2012

The problem is that the woman will probably get PAID days off for bereavement leave.

It is common for companies to give three days of paid leave for bereavement.

It is absurd that the woman is taking 'bereavement leave' because of her dog's death - no matter whether she gets paid leave or not.

It is ridiculous and absurd. Unless she is using up her own vacation time.

by Anonymousreply 1001/20/2012

I agree with the OP, it is fucking insane, she should be fired

by Anonymousreply 1101/20/2012

R10, I think you may be too logical for this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1201/20/2012

I think a matter like this makes for an Extremely Sensitive Thread. And should be treated accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 1301/20/2012

Sucks wherever you work, OP. My company offers three weeks' vacation plus two additional weeks of personal leave - for *whatever* reason the employee wants, including something like the death of a pet, if they so choose. Oh, and that's for entry level; I get five weeks' vacation.

by Anonymousreply 1401/20/2012

Ask for time off to go to the funeral and the wake, Dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 1501/20/2012

Good advice, R15.

by Anonymousreply 1601/20/2012

I feel for the woman who's dog died having to work with an insensitive prick like you, op.

by Anonymousreply 1701/20/2012

Mind your own fucking business, dumb ass.

by Anonymousreply 1801/20/2012

That poor woman's dog. I'm going to take off two weeks with sick leave because my sadness has set off my fibro.

by Anonymousreply 1901/20/2012

She's damned lucky.

I took 3 days off for my dad's passing and some of the assholes I had to deal with wanted to know why I was gone for *that* long.

And I'm "entry level".

by Anonymousreply 2001/20/2012

This is your business HOW exactly, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2101/20/2012

I think it's basically seemingly unfair because it makes you wonder if every person is given the same consideration and gentle treatment. Wherever I have worked, things of this nature always seem to happen where some people just get a free pass and others are told to suck it up. I'm one of the ones who is always told to suck it up. I worked for this woman who would constantly let the pregnant lady in our department work from home and leave early for doctors appts. of if she was feeling sick - but yet when my dad was in hospice and the nurse called to tell me he had a major change and I should come in she shrugged her shoulders and said "make sure your responsibilities are covered and call me if you aren't coming in tomorrow"

by Anonymousreply 2201/20/2012

OP, maybe you should resign and go to work for a company that doesn't provide employee benefits. Lots don't.

In fact, it doesn't matter if you have to do her work. If it's company policy, she's allowed to take it and the rest of the staff has to deal with it.

That's not her fault. Perhaps it's your fault for accepting a job with a company that is too generous for your taste.

by Anonymousreply 2301/20/2012

Shit, r22 - that sounds like the place I work!

WTF is wrong with people?

by Anonymousreply 2401/20/2012

Oh, sorry. That was r20 at r24.

by Anonymousreply 2501/20/2012

So OP, the bitch should have just lied and said it was a family member and then you wouldn't have your panties in a wad?

The reason this country is headed in the toilet is because too many bitches (I'm cutting my eyes at you, OP) are consumed with what everybody else is doing and not focusing on their jobs.

As someone else previously mentioned, be happy you have a job that allows you to take time off for personal reasons. Paid or not.

by Anonymousreply 2601/20/2012

[quote]Someone has to do that woman's work.

Is that someone you?

If not then shut the fuck up and mind your own business.

by Anonymousreply 2701/20/2012

Does anyone else think the OP actually killed this poor woman's dog?

by Anonymousreply 2801/20/2012

[quote] Why yes, [R6], it is affecting me. Someone has to do that woman's work.

Then you should work where I do OP. No one bothers to do anyone's work for them while they're out on vacation or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 2901/20/2012

I'm not sure who are more tragic cat people or dog people?

Either way if you feel the need to own one go for it. For Christ's sake when it dies quit carrying on like it's the end of the world. Get another flea hotel and move on.

Bereavement for a fucking beast ... unbelievable!

by Anonymousreply 3001/20/2012

[quote] It is common for companies to give three days of paid leave for bereavement.

My company gives up to 5 days.

by Anonymousreply 3101/20/2012

OP, dogs are members of the family.

by Anonymousreply 3201/20/2012

Fuck u R30.

by Anonymousreply 3301/20/2012

You pet people are fucking insane.

by Anonymousreply 3401/20/2012

How about the obligatory, long-winded assessment post?

Let's see. Who are the absolutely despicable types that no sensible person want to work near? Or live near? Or occupy the same bus? Or read another of their idiotic, cat-lady, living-in-filth-and-proud-of-it posts?

R6/R9 - Saying that being affected by a hysterical coworker incapable of managing herself like a reasonable, healthy adult is akin to wishing her family dead. Who needs logic when a fellow animal lover/people hater is being criticized?

R8 - "Animals are people, too!"

R17 - "Pet Parent." Sweet Jesus.

R18, R21, R26, R27, R33 -

Amazing! Who would have thought that so many of these demented, hate-filled, incapable-of-reason tragedies are occupying the DL? Notice the usual tactics of this pathology: You're lucky to work so shut up. You have no right to think. You cannot notice unfairness or you'll be called names. Crazy coworkers are more deserving of love than you ever will be. You cannot observe likely breaches in leave policy because the Cunts of Animal Love will assail your humanity.

The woman may have a serious emotional problem and require leave. Unless a workplace has open leave for any cause, bereavement leave usually is set for a fixed number of days for specific relationships. If somehow "pet loss" is included, well, that's that.

However, if someone has messed with the policy, it's not good. She needed to take sick leave (because this is related to sickness, not funeral or bereavement - get that through your soft skulls) or unpaid leave if she was out of appropriate paid leave.

And it is proof positive that she is not stable. Unstable people are not good employees or coworkers. They need to receive the appropriate care so that their illness can be lessened and not get worse. Why do these nuts here think this woman is anything but a liar or seriously psychologically ill?

I love animals. I have lost beloved pets in very hard circumstances when they were too young to die. However, my grief was appropriate to the circumstances and my coworkers did not experience distraction from it. Why? Not because I'm cold-heared. Because I'm not mentally ill. Why are you people acting like this is normal? Is it because you cannot admit to your own disorders?

But of course this probably is a troll post. Yet the insanity it captured - one thinks of flypaper in a hog shed - is too real.

by Anonymousreply 3501/20/2012

You Americans and your short leave. In Europe we get two weeks for the death of a distant family pet (pet of grandparents or cousins) and three weeks for the death of a pet in the immediate family.

by Anonymousreply 3601/20/2012

R35--- we speak your name.

by Anonymousreply 3701/20/2012

[italic]I'm not sure who are more tragic cat people or dog people?[/italic]

Judging by the grammatical errors in your post, YOU are the tragic one!

by Anonymousreply 3801/20/2012

"However, my grief was appropriate to the circumstances and my coworkers did not experience distraction from it."

So R35, do you have that equivalence on an Excel spreadsheet? I mean, what is, and what is not appropriate.

Does the dogs size come into play?

by Anonymousreply 3901/20/2012

I may not be a pet owner but I love animals. I really do. But the attachment of people to their pets, especially dogs, has gotten out of control. As has been mentioned, taking a week off from work over the death of any animal is absurd and possibly a sign of mental illness. It's the same thing when people would rather perish in a natural disaster (i.e. hurricane) than evacuate without their pet. It's a sign that something is very, very wrong.

I get it: pets provide comfort, companionship, and a sense of unconditional love. They're "like" a member of the family. But they're not people and to equate them as such is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 4001/20/2012

Well OP, if someone in her family dies soon, she will have used up her annual allotment of bereavement time, so she'll have to work through her grief or not get paid. That should make you feel a whole lot better.

by Anonymousreply 4101/20/2012

I think you are being selfish, OP. if you were a compassionate person, you would take up a collection for her. The extra cash could go a long way in this time of need.

by Anonymousreply 4201/20/2012

OP obviously has no conception. I recently experienced a loss and the whirlwind surrounding making arrangements and getting this document, transferring this, closing that, penning eulogies, hosting out of towners, penning thank yous, boxing up belongings and just the plain damn problem of getting by has taken months, even after the funeral.

by Anonymousreply 4301/20/2012

People go bananas over their animals precisely because of people like you, r40. Nobody asked you to be the grief police.

by Anonymousreply 4401/20/2012

Thats sad. Poor lady. When my 12 year old golden was hit and killed by a car, i would have stayed out a week if I could have. I was destroyed. He was a great dog.

by Anonymousreply 4501/20/2012

I work with an old bitch who takes a week off for bereavement every time a distant relative dies. This week, it was an "auntie", who must have been in her 90s as this bitch is 67. Oddly enough, these deaths seem to often coincide with holiday weekends.

by Anonymousreply 4601/20/2012

When you don't have your dogs affairs in order beforehand it can be overwhelming. Get. A. Will.

by Anonymousreply 4701/20/2012

"Wherever I have worked, things of this nature always seem to happen where some people just get a free pass and others are told to suck it up."

I think that R22 has nailed it.

Workplaces are often not good at treating people fairly/equally.

And workplaces often have at least one person who is a self-absorbed taker.

I don't have a problem with OP's colleague having a week off, but everyone else needs to be treated fairly/equally and management needs to sort out appropriate arrangements for the woman's work to be done (if it needs to be done).

My workplace has a big problem with having a lot of people who work part-time (but spend a lot of time of personal matters when they are at work and often schedule personal things for the days they work), plus full-time workers who work a set number of hours (and never a minute over that anount).

by Anonymousreply 4801/20/2012

Who are the sick fucks that don't understand that in America and most countries the family pet is an equal member of the family.

Fuck off trolls.

by Anonymousreply 4901/20/2012

OP, you should be ashamed of yourself. For many, many gays, their pet IS their only family. I know my dog is.

by Anonymousreply 5001/20/2012

R49 is priceless. A most gifted troll or the truest lunatic yet, since in most countries there is too much attention needed to real human life so that being mentally ill about pets doesn't get the chance it does in some demented, loveless, filthy garden apartments in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 5101/20/2012

Even if your dog or cat is considered 'an equal member of the family', one does not get bereavement leave from work for the death of a dog or cat.

by Anonymousreply 5201/20/2012

I agree with the OP. It's ridiculous. I understand that the grief you feel after losing a pet is real and is somewhat on par with losing a family member, but there are far too many people who go overboard when it comes to their pets. I'm sorry, but if you get a dog you have to know that it's only going to live 10-12 years at best...maybe a few years longer if you're lucky. If you can't get over the fact that they are going to live out their journey quickly, then you shouldn't own one. It's becoming far too common for people to equate animals with humans.

I would refuse to do her work, OP. You might want to come up with your own tragedy to get out of work for a week or so.

by Anonymousreply 5301/20/2012

[italic]one does not get bereavement leave from work for the death of a dog or cat[/italic]

Well, obviously one does get bereavement leave being that that is precisely what OP is complaining about. Are you stupid?

I don't understand how so many people here equate grieving over the death of a pet to being mentally ill. On the contrary, I think you must be mentally ill if you can't understand why someone would need that time to grieve. Losing a pet is emotional. It may not be as emotional as losing a person you're close with, but it's still a very difficult thing to deal with. If you can't understand that, you've got some serious problems of your own. I think there are a lot of heartless bitches up in here that don't even understand the basics of human nature.

by Anonymousreply 5401/20/2012

Was it a fur daughter or a fur son? Yes I work with fraus too.

by Anonymousreply 5501/20/2012

The vast majority of companies and workplaces (probably 99.9 percent) do not grant bereavement leave for the death of a pet.

by Anonymousreply 5601/20/2012

OP, did you ever stop to think that the dog was more than this woman's pet, perhaps it was her lover?

by Anonymousreply 5701/20/2012

R54, I believe R52's comment is an indication he or she thinks OP is lying and the whole thread is an exercise in getting DL animal lovers into a tizzy over something that didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 5801/20/2012

That scenerio would make a daring off-Broadway play, r57. I wish it would find its genres Larry Kramer to blisteringly indict society.

by Anonymousreply 5901/20/2012

No, I do not think the OP is lying. I think it is possible that his workplace has an anomaly.

It is not clear, though, whether the OP's co-worker is using up her own paid vacation time or if she is actually using the separate paid or unpaid bereavement leave which in every company and workplace in the country is used for a relative, not a pet.

by Anonymousreply 6001/20/2012

R57 is on to something

by Anonymousreply 6101/20/2012

[italic]but if you get a dog you have to know that it's only going to live 10-12 years at best...maybe a few years longer if you're lucky. If you can't get over the fact that they are going to live out their journey quickly, then you shouldn't own one.[/italic]

That logic doesn't make any sense and I can't believe anyone is so retarded to actually use that as a point. My grandmother is 91. Does that mean I have to just "get over" the fact that she's probably going to die soon because she's old? You can't just accept the inevitability of death and use it to separate your emotions from the situation. Emotions are going to be there regardless.

But the fact that you ended your post by saying that you would refuse to cover your co-worker's work and create your own tragedy to get out of it just proves that I'm dealing with the lowest of the low over here. It's not worth arguing with such a selfish, heartless person because when it comes down to it, you're clearly too egotistical & narrow-minded to open your eyes to another point of view.

by Anonymousreply 6201/20/2012

R62 is quite an unstable, emotionally disturbed, overwrought, fixated person. I would never hire R62 for a job that requires judgment, responsibility, reasonableness, and emotional maturity.

by Anonymousreply 6301/20/2012

My dog died unexpectedly on a Sun night about 2 years ago. My boss of 15 years knew this was the first dog I ever had die and it was a shock. He gave me the day off on Monday.

Very nice I thought.

If your mom wasn't June Cleaver, like my mom, the heartless bitch, I probably could go to work, but would need a day off for my loving dog.

I don't think I could take a week off for bereavement just b/c other than what needs to be done for the funeral or memorial, I would want to stay busy.

by Anonymousreply 6401/20/2012

R59, wasn't this roughly the plot of Edward Albee's 'The Goat or Who is Sylvia?' You know, minus bereavement pay? Or is beastiality the only common thread there?

by Anonymousreply 6501/20/2012

And R62, using the inevitability of an event to help detach emotionally from it is a perfectly reasonable, heathy response. Detachment doesn't necessarily mean heartlessness; not everyone can afford the luxury of a nervous breakdown every time tragedy strikes.

So yes, I think you should get ready for Nana to die, because it's going to happen. Do you want to be a sobbing mess when it does, or do you want to be the person who can take care of shit?

by Anonymousreply 6601/20/2012

How would OP know how she's getting paid? I know in my office, my time usage is not available for others to view, which is how it should be. If this is even real (which I doubt), she's probably using PTO and it's none of OP's business. I can just see a bunch of cube fraus and OP standing around gossiping and declaring that the woman is using bereavement time without a bit of knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 6701/20/2012

Perhaps, the OP is reacting to the oddity of a co-worker needing a whole week off (or even three days off) for the death of a dog.

No matter whether the co-worker is using Paid Time Off, paid vacation time, or specialized bereavement leave to be used for when a relative dies, it is an oddity that this co-worker needs a week off because of a dog death.

by Anonymousreply 6801/20/2012

R54 is an idiot of the first water.

It does not seem to penetrate her soaked-in-vinegar-until-soft head that histrionic, overwrought grief for an animal - in this case requiring a 10 days (don't forget those two bracketing weekends) is symptomatic of mental illness. It is a diagnostic red flag. "Normal" - and that means just what the dictionary says - people, who have healthy, balanced, understanding, mature responses to death - of anyone, much less a pet - do not shit themselves and run the halls like Mary Todd Lincoln.

But you, you miserably confused celebrator of distress and praiser of all that is unhealthy, in typical twat fashion, just have to accuse sane people of being sick because they note that sick people are sick.

Honey, I hope you have a fucking parrot and Galapagos turtle so that you don't EVER have to face the horror of mortality.

by Anonymousreply 6901/20/2012

So the fuck what, OP. Mind your own business and let the woman grieve. Maybe it was her only companion. Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 7001/20/2012

"an idiot of the first water"

Ummm, ok.

BTW, you really know how to exaggerate things. I mean, celebrator of distress? Praiser of all that is unhealthy? Shit themselves and run the halls like Mary Todd Lincoln?

You're clearly fucking nuts & completely distorted what anyone said in this thread, but you're certainly creative. I'll give you that. But then again, most people in the looney bin are as well so I shouldn't be surprised.

by Anonymousreply 7101/20/2012

The on-site repairman in my apt bldg told me his dog died suddenly the week before Christmas, so his brother flew him out to Arizona where the brother lives for four days and the repairman returned on Christmas Day.

He said his brother (who he says is wealthy) paid for his plane ticket. And the repairman said he is devastated about the dog. He thinks the mailman killed his dog by feeding him MacDonald's food every day surreptitiously to keep him from barking. The dog was 10 years old.

So the owner of the apt complex agreed to buy him a new $1400 dog to make the repairman happy! The owner of the complex will pay $700 and the wealthy brother will pay $700.

The repairman is a never married single man age 56 who is kind of goofy and not too smart.

I guess he pulled on the heart strings of the owner of the apt complex and the brother.

by Anonymousreply 7201/20/2012

I believe OP's story more than I believe R14's story.

by Anonymousreply 7301/20/2012

Crazy pet people really want normal folk to understand JUST HOW MUCH THEY FUCKING CARE.

They go on and on about how big their hearts are, but it only extends to animals.

by Anonymousreply 7401/20/2012

I agree with R69.

And R62 who is also R71 does not know how emotionally unbalanced, immature, unreasonable, and disturbed he is and his ideas are.

by Anonymousreply 7501/20/2012

OP...MYOB!

by Anonymousreply 7601/20/2012

I think it is hard to evaluate the very personal experience of grief, and maybe for this woman it is something that would incapacitate her for the week and she may as wel be off as she would accomplish little at work. That said, I could not do it. I had to put my dear cat down last fortnight and do so between split shifts. I had to start a new job two days after my mother died, which was very hard but maybe made less so as I was still very much numb and essentially on autopilot. I could have taken unpaid leave for the cat, but was needed at work and would have felt bad for putting my work onto another staff member. For mum, work or home, nothing was going to make that situation better and being home would nnot make it hurt less, and I had a funeral to pay for.

by Anonymousreply 7701/20/2012

My dog suddenly got very sick (he was only 3) and was in the hospital for a week (near death) while they tried to save him. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with him and I could not go to work knowing my dog was fighting for his life. I took 5 personal days paid, he died that Saturday and I returned to work Monday. It was a horrrific, sad ordeal for me. Turns out a vet made his situation worse with a bad needle. OP, did I take it too far NO I didn't ..cause I loved my dog..a lot. How could I be at work while he was in that condition. I couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 7801/20/2012

Op, why do you care so much? Really?

I mean, maybe this lady truly loved this pet and thought of it as a family member and is really heartbroken.

Maybe this lady is a bitch, and killed her own cat and is now using it's death as an excuse to go punch faggots and do cocaine all the while supporting the republican party.

You don't know. We don't know. Why do you care so much?

You have to do more work? Does that mean you have to go on datalounge an hour less a day during working hours for one day a week, or does it mean you have to work 10 hours extra and miss out on an anniversary/funeral/wedding/jolly good time?

We don't know the bitch so we really can't tell. Why do you care so much is the true question.

by Anonymousreply 7901/20/2012

You have no idea if she is getting paid berevement time. Do you work in HR?

by Anonymousreply 8001/21/2012

This is why more and more companies are just giving a set amount of personal days to everyone and they can use them however they see fit. It solves a lot of problems. No separate days for vaca, sick time, bereavement---just 15 days (or whatever) that you take however you want/need. You shouldn't have to divulge the reason for an absence and employers shouldn't be put in the awkward position of having to ask or fake an interest/concern for whatever is happening in your personal life. Of course, if you have a long term illness (disability) or need to take extended "family leave" that's something different. There are laws governing those.

I own a business and I really don't care to know why someone wants a day off. They could be nursing a hangover, crying about their dead gold fish or visiting a friend in the hospital. Makes no difference to me.

by Anonymousreply 8101/21/2012

OP if your dog dies.You have a week off paid. If you don't have a dog, go immediately a dog's shelters and buy the older dog there. Give her another week without you

by Anonymousreply 8201/21/2012

Maybe your boss knew she was incapable of behaving like an adult and doing her job while she was grieving. Maybe he was just trying to save his own sanity.

Or maybe they're fucking.

by Anonymousreply 8301/21/2012

[quote] . . .the reason for an absence and employers shouldn't be put in the awkward position of having to ask or fake an interest/concern for whatever is happening in your personal life.

ITA. However, my cunty micro-manager INSISTS on knowing and if SHE doesn't think the reason is "good enough", it is denied. And, yes, she's done it before.

by Anonymousreply 8401/21/2012

OP here.

Because of attrition and an ongoing hiring freeze, my department is down to 7 people, from 13 when I started in 2007. The workload has not decreased, however, and when people are gone for whatever reason, their work doesn't just disappear, it needs to be covered by others.

For the most part, everyone gets along and has a "we're in this together" mentality. People help each other out when needed and try their hardest to minimize the extra work for others when they are out of the office.

Except for the dog owner. She's the last to volunteeer or help anyone with anything. She's not an unpleasant person, she just does the bare minimum required. Plus, she knows (like the rest of us) that she's not likely to be fired because our boss can't afford to lose more staff, and the hiring freeze is likely to continue at least through July (and probably longer).

Knowing full well it would get out anyway, our boss told us all that she had given this woman the week off for paid bereavement. We had a meeting yesterday to discuss splitting her workload for the next week.

Our policy is five paid days for immediate family members, but last year, my boss bent the rules and allowed another employee (our least senior member, but probably our hardest worker) to take a week off paid so he could fly to Alaska for his aunt's funeral. The dog owner knew this, and somehow convinced my boss this was the same situation and she also deserved an entire week off.

Also, we are currently down one person, as one woman in our department is in the middle of a two-week vacation.

The dog owner knows 100 percent what she's doing to the rest of us. I'm sure she's torn up about her pet, but there are numerous ways she could have made this easier on the rest of us. Even if she took a half day and worked from home, it would lessen the weight.

Now you'll have to excuse me, I have to leave and go spend the rest of the afternoon working on my day off.

by Anonymousreply 8501/21/2012

[quote] ITA. However, my cunty micro-manager INSISTS on knowing and if SHE doesn't think the reason is "good enough", it is denied. And, yes, she's done it before.

Then tell her it's for a medical reason and your privacy about such things is guaranteed under HIPPA.

by Anonymousreply 8601/21/2012

[quote] Now you'll have to excuse me, I have to leave and go spend the rest of the afternoon working on my day off.

You sound like a real idiot OP. The work will still be there on Monday morning. If it doesn't get done, oh well.

by Anonymousreply 8701/21/2012

R87, can you read?

by Anonymousreply 8801/21/2012

Yes R88 I can read. I can also refuse to cover anyone else's work, no matter what. You're not curing cancer. It's just a JOB.

by Anonymousreply 8901/21/2012

[quote]Then tell her it's for a medical reason and your privacy about such things is guaranteed under HIPPA.

No, it's not.

The privacy provision in HIPAA (NOT HIPPA), also known as the Privacy Rule, applies to health plans, health care clearinghouses, and to any health care provider who transmits health information in electronic form in connection with transactions for which the Secretary of HHS has adopted standards under HIPAA (the “covered entities”).

NOT communications between you and your employer. Your employer has NOTHING to do with HIPAA.

Please stop talking out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 9001/21/2012

Amen, R90

by Anonymousreply 9101/21/2012

Well R90, one of the companies I worked for made sure to have HR convey to management and above that they had no right to provide information about why employees were out sick, even if it was just for the day. They also made sure that management knew it was a violation for them to harangue employees about medical issues.

All because of HIPAA

by Anonymousreply 9201/21/2012

Thank you, OP at R85. Again, people like this are bad coworkers and not the kind of people you want to have around you. They are not to be coddled. They are to be measured for performance as everyone is, treated for their illnesses, and fired if they cannot perform.

The intolerant over-tolerance gang who want every hefty deranged cunt lashed to the back of the rest of us because they fear for their own futures simply don't deserve attention. They fall into the same mental illness category as the crazy dead-dog woman.

I would invent a pet, put a picture on my desk, start planning for a cruise 18 months ahead, announce the unfortunate demise, and take my week.

by Anonymousreply 9301/21/2012

Maybe she owned one of those talking dogs that are always in the movies. Only then could I understand.

by Anonymousreply 9401/21/2012

OP, pretend you like her.

Would you feel differently about this?

Yeah, you would.

by Anonymousreply 9501/21/2012

r35 is a complete lunatic. So is the OP.

by Anonymousreply 9601/21/2012

After visiting our affiliate in Philadelphia, a colleague of mine decided to fly back to our offices -- in NYC. As if this weren't sufficient profligacy, he took the next day off, claiming to be suffering from jet lag. (Yes, I do know what it is.) By the time I was in a position to do anything about him, he was long gone, for other reasons. But I did have the pleasure of firing the supervisor who let him get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 9701/21/2012

OP, I rather she be grieving at home AWAY from me than in the office weeping and sobbing to anyone who would listen. I know these pet people and don't begrudge her, her time. Let her mourn at home or in St. Croix, wherever the fuck she might be going to get over Fido.

by Anonymousreply 9801/21/2012

2 weeks off for a cat.

by Anonymousreply 9901/21/2012

R96, how is the OP a lunatic?

by Anonymousreply 10001/21/2012

If the employee dies, will the pet get survivor benefits?

by Anonymousreply 10101/21/2012

My goldfish . . . (sniffle) . . . poor Swimmy. . . (sniffle) . . . is dead! I'll be in Bermuda back in a week.

by Anonymousreply 10201/21/2012

LOL R101

by Anonymousreply 10301/22/2012

I can smell R100's pussy from here.

Oh. Because it's dead.

by Anonymousreply 10401/22/2012

My father died on a Friday at noon. I received the call at the office, and told them I needed to leave immediately. The funeral was Sunday afternoon, and I was told to be back in the office by noon on Monday. I was given one business day equivalent off (1/2 day on Friday and 1/2 day on Monday).

In my present position, we are allowed 5 personal days off per year (or 40 hours). This covers sick days, medical appointments, snow days, etc.

by Anonymousreply 10501/22/2012

This is just a one out of ten.

by Anonymousreply 10601/22/2012

You gotta love corporate America, r105.

I'm very sorry about your father. The same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 10701/22/2012

I agree it's a troll post, but just to chime in with a similar event, I came home from work for lunch one day and found my 12-year-old dog either dead or dying.

(I still don't know if he had just died or if he died in my arms in the first moments after I picked him up.)

I was working on an important project that afternoon with an out-of-town client and several other colleagues, but I called my boss and told her I couldn't come back that day. She was entirely accommodating and said of course don't come back.

It was a week-long project, however, and because I hadn't been there the first day, I couldn't be on it at all.

No one held it against me in any way; it was just a fact that because I wasn't there the first day, I would have been unprepared to join the project late.

And of course I did not receive bereavement pay.

by Anonymousreply 10801/22/2012

What business is it of yours?

by Anonymousreply 10901/22/2012

R105, that's sad about your dad. But humans are replaceable. Dogs are not!

by Anonymousreply 11001/22/2012

Are Americans always so heartless about their fellow animal companions.

This thread is disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 11101/22/2012

Cuddles always knew when it was time for me to take my Lyrica.

by Anonymousreply 11201/22/2012

She sounds like a freak, and I LOVE my dog!

by Anonymousreply 11301/22/2012

Newsflash. Life is not fair. If you're smart, you make of it what you can, and create your own positive outcomes. If you're not, you sit around a bitch at how others get something you don't think is fair. What if something happened to you OP that was very important to you, but other couldn't understand? Shut the fuck up. You sound like god damned Republican.

by Anonymousreply 11401/22/2012

R114, are you in the middle of a stroke?

by Anonymousreply 11501/22/2012

R105 and R107, I'm sorry for your losses and can't imagine what it would be like to have to leave so suddenly and return almost immediately.

I'm very lucky. I lost a relative, left word for my boss and she contacted me immediately and said go and do what you need to do, be with your family.

I went for a few weeks and did some telecommuting.

I am not in a well-paying industry, but some things money can't buy and that was one of them.

by Anonymousreply 11601/23/2012

R109 clearly hasn't read this thread.

by Anonymousreply 11701/23/2012

A pet is a pet, a child is a child aka human being. They're not the same, don't treat them the same ! Comparing the death of a pet to the death of a child is totally ridiculous and insane.

by Anonymousreply 11801/24/2012

I agree with R118. You can always have another child.

by Anonymousreply 11901/24/2012

When my grandmother died, I went right out and got myself another old lady.

by Anonymousreply 12001/24/2012

R114, in accusing people who prefer people over pets of being Republicans, seems to forget Leona Helmsley cut her family out of the will but left her dog provided for.

In other words, insane creature at R114, try to learn to think, speak, and fuck yourself without driving your twelve cats crazy with the stink of rotten mackerel.

by Anonymousreply 12101/24/2012

So many sad sacks in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 12201/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!