Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay Voice

What causes it?

by Anonymousreply 10601/30/2013

What you're talking about is a learned mimicked ACCENT. It's picked up and imitated like the 80s valley girl talk. And it has absolutely nothing to do with same sex attraction.

But you knew that. Carry on with your agenda.

by Anonymousreply 101/19/2012

I think r2 is what's known as an effeminate.

by Anonymousreply 301/19/2012

I don't know. Sometimes when Michael C. Hall is into his acting, he loses control of his.

by Anonymousreply 401/19/2012

femininity

by Anonymousreply 501/19/2012

You mean effeminates? I have no idea what would cause that. But you know there are certain people you talk to that you know automatically are gay just from their lisp.

by Anonymousreply 601/19/2012

[quote]Sometimes when Michael C. Hall is into his acting, he loses control of his.

Was that in just in Six Feet Under or in other stuff as well?

by Anonymousreply 701/19/2012

It most certainly is not "femininity" r5. Females do not talk like that. It's a learned lingo with it's own jargon, expressions and mannerisms.

by Anonymousreply 801/19/2012

cuntishness usually is the cause

by Anonymousreply 901/19/2012

Male version of vocal fry.

by Anonymousreply 1001/19/2012

I think sucking cock gives one a lateral lisp, and the constant rubbing of a cock-head against the vocal-cords leads to a sing-songy voice.

by Anonymousreply 1101/19/2012

Clever, R11, except many teenage gays already have gay voice long before they start becoming proficient cocksuckers

by Anonymousreply 1201/19/2012

R12, unlike you, I never let facts get in the way of a good theory.

by Anonymousreply 1301/19/2012

Islamic tradition. Something to do with the heat.

by Anonymousreply 1401/19/2012

Come to my clinic and I can Fixth it!

by Anonymousreply 1501/19/2012

Big cock up the butt, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1601/19/2012

Waiters at iHops

by Anonymousreply 1701/19/2012

I think Michael C. Hall is a great actor but even in Dexter, I've heard him use his gay voice. He's been so into the scene that he forgets to hide it.

by Anonymousreply 1801/19/2012

I know some of you pretend you have no idea what we are talking about and no, it's not femininity.

by Anonymousreply 1901/19/2012

It's fun to talk like that. Haven't you ever tried it?

by Anonymousreply 2001/20/2012

swallowing

by Anonymousreply 2101/20/2012

Agree about Hall, R18. His gay voice was ever-present in Six Feet Under.

by Anonymousreply 2201/20/2012

Peter Sarsgaard and John Malkovich both have gay voice.

by Anonymousreply 2301/20/2012

Sarsgaard is probably the best, most glaring example of gayvoice. Even after several years of marriage and procreation with Maggie G., I'm still not all that sure about him.

by Anonymousreply 2401/20/2012

It isn't mimicry or an accent R1, it is the timbre of the voice. There is a flatness to it that is neither masculine or feminine.

by Anonymousreply 2501/20/2012

Some gay men as they age, attempt to sound more youthful by modulating their voice and breathiness of their speech, sounding odd for their age.

by Anonymousreply 2601/20/2012

It's true about Malkovich but I never thought the little asshole was gay. I wonder why he sounds gay? I'm thinking all of his friends in Chicago were probably gay men.

by Anonymousreply 2701/20/2012

I have had gay voice even before I met other gay people. I don't, of course, know the cause or whether others use it as an affection. I can only speak for my experience. All my family knew I would "turn out" gay. The same was the case with a cousin, and he too had gay voice early on. I tried, when younger and with futility, to rid myself of it. I am not otherwise flamboyant or effeminate, but I can't change that.

by Anonymousreply 2901/20/2012

I'm sure it goes along with having a female brain.

by Anonymousreply 3001/20/2012

affection = affectation

by Anonymousreply 3101/20/2012

But there are straight men with gay voice. And I'm not talking about Marcus Bachmann.

by Anonymousreply 3201/20/2012

I think gay voice sounds a lot like female bodybuilder on steroids voice.

by Anonymousreply 3301/20/2012

mmmmmmmmmmmm Michael C Hall.

by Anonymousreply 3412/05/2012

I have gay voice and I'm a lesbian. Explain THAT, girly-men.

by Anonymousreply 3512/05/2012

Does Simon Halls have gay voice?

by Anonymousreply 3612/05/2012

How do most gay actors learn to lose their "gay voice"? Speech classes? Coaching? Most actors we now know were gay (eg, Rock Hudson) did not display it in their performances.

I'm all in favor of being openly gay in the workplace, but I also think really pronounced "gay voice" holds some men back. Particularly in corporate environments.

by Anonymousreply 3712/05/2012

I have no idea what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 3812/05/2012

Malkovich isn't gay, but can play the dandy. Perhaps he is "posing as a somdomite."

by Anonymousreply 3912/05/2012

[quote]Sarsgaard is probably the best, most glaring example of gayvoice. Even after several years of marriage and procreation with Maggie G., I'm still not all that sure about him.

I agree. I've seen interviews with him and said "That guy's straight??" Meanwhile, someone like Matt Bomer, who we KNOW is gay, doesn't really have gayvoice at all.

TV actor/ass legend Robert Conrad, believe it or not, has it too. Check out the way he says "long lasssting" at the 0:20 mark in this clip...

by Anonymousreply 4012/05/2012

I have it. I wish I didn't. I tried, like others, to rid myself of it, but it didn't work. It is was it is, some of us are white and some of us are brown.

by Anonymousreply 4112/05/2012

Tim Tebow has the voice.

by Anonymousreply 4212/05/2012

I, too, have always wondered why some gay men have it. I don't, and I've had people actually be shocked to find out that I'm gay.

by Anonymousreply 4312/05/2012

Good call, R40. Conrad sounds super gay (but he's working hard to cover it up) in that ad.

by Anonymousreply 4412/05/2012

Conrad has gayvoice in this Larry King interview too

by Anonymousreply 4512/05/2012

Elongated vowels. Clip the vowels and the gayness leaves.

by Anonymousreply 4612/05/2012

Gay voice is the way you identify yourself to any potential tops in the room.

It is a: lets get the sexual compatibility issue out of the way right now, because I'm not interested in you otherwise, thing.

by Anonymousreply 4712/06/2012

Give Anderson a couple of tequila shots and voila!

by Anonymousreply 4812/06/2012

Yesterday's Judge Judy featured a woman suing her former assistant for $2K she loaned him for child support arrearages. I thought the entire courtroom (and MIss Judy) was going to burst out in laughter when the defendant opened up his mouth and the girliest girly-girl voice came out. How did this guy's penis ever get close to a vagina?

(They had to have cut out the audience's laughter.)

by Anonymousreply 4912/06/2012

people being cunts

by Anonymousreply 5012/06/2012

It's some type of teenage Valley girl accent. It's on display in 1 Girl 5 Gays. All of the guys talk that way. I'm embarrassed FOR them.

by Anonymousreply 5112/06/2012

Social conditioning to bitchiness.

by Anonymousreply 5212/06/2012

Who cares what the cause, just be grateful you have it.

by Anonymousreply 5312/06/2012

Gay Voice = vocal earrings and caftans

by Anonymousreply 5412/06/2012

It is definitely some kind of accent. Do gays in, say, Papua New Guinea go all girlfriend on each other?

by Anonymousreply 5512/06/2012

Figure Skating?

by Anonymousreply 5612/06/2012

With some gay men, you'd never be able to tell they are gay by their voice or their mannerisms. Others give it away with both. Then some give it away with one or the other. I've met men who don't have gay voice at all, but to see them is to know they are gay. I fall into this category. My ex was the opposite. To see him you wouldn't think he was gay. Then he opened his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 5712/06/2012

I think that gay guys with feminized brains have it. These are the authentic, born this way gays. The situational gay guys who aren't authentically gay (M2M rape/pedo victims, M2M sex in jail) tend not to have the voice. There's a pee-reviewed article on this somewhere. I'll try to locate it.

by Anonymousreply 5812/06/2012

gay vocal bump

by Anonymousreply 5912/07/2012

I always thought it came about by young boys/future gay men being influenced by flamboyant, expressive women.

by Anonymousreply 6012/07/2012

I think you're on the right track r60; early in childhood if there is an identification with a female figure, it could be elder sister or his mother it can include voice imitation and how she uses expressions. I don't want to sound Freudian, but it could also go with a father who is inadequate or worse. I don't think the question is "what causes homosexuality" but what causes human sexuality and the impulses that create someone predominantly heterosexual or homosexual. I think too that even if a father tries mightily to have his son identify with him, if the orientation is for his mother and he has been born homosexual, all the butch stuff he tries to make him do will not make any difference. I would like to hear from any gay guy who, growing up, got support from his father for doing stuff like cooking, cleaning, interior decorating, fashion, etc. if that was what he liked doing as a kid. I would say chances are he didn't.

by Anonymousreply 6112/08/2012

R61, are you a straight woman?

by Anonymousreply 6212/08/2012

No, I'm a "gay" middle-aged white male--it's kind of interesting you would ask me that though. Would you care to elaborate as to why you thought I was a straight woman? I based alot of my post on my own life experience but on the other hand I didn't want to over-generalize and stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 6312/08/2012

I think r1 is correct. Vocal pitch may be innate, but what most seem to be talking about here is more like an accent. It's definitely immitated. And feminine? Hardly. Women don't talk in that exaggerated way.

by Anonymousreply 6412/08/2012

Some of my friends have gay voice and are not gay. Maybe it's just a normal affect and those who weren't out gays used to suppress having it.

by Anonymousreply 6512/08/2012

[quote] There's a pee-reviewed article

I always suspected that journal editors loved golden showers.

by Anonymousreply 6612/08/2012

For a good number of gay men, gay voice is an adopted affectation and learned from mimicing other gay men.

by Anonymousreply 6712/08/2012

Michael Bloomberg has it for days.

by Anonymousreply 6812/08/2012

Tim Gunn qualifies. Nasal with elongated vowels mentioned by r46.

by Anonymousreply 6912/08/2012

[quote]For a good number of gay men, gay voice is an adopted affectation and learned from mimicing other gay men.

Homophobic bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 7012/08/2012

Brady Anderson is the QUEEN of gayvoice.

by Anonymousreply 7112/08/2012

[I have gay voice and I'm a lesbian. Explain THAT, girly-men.]

What does a gay voice sound like in a lesbian?!?

If you're referring to the 'little girl' voice that some women adopt (like one of my cousins), that's not a gay voice, that's a juvenile female affectation.

by Anonymousreply 7212/08/2012

This is a thread only youthful gays could devise. Eldergays all know one day when you are in your mid-40s you suddenly catch yourself using phrases your parents used in middle age. You may not have even liked your parents or thought them good models. But your subconscious imprinted that this is how people of a certain age talk, and since your parents were unavoidably your main model, you picked it up without knowing or even against your own will. That's why some people pick up gay voice from a young age, but some don't pick it up until they actually come out; and few of them ever intended to pick it up. They heard it from people they knew to be gay so when they first thought to themselves, I'm a gay, the mannerism and expressions surfaced as part of that ancient gay imperative, finding a man. That's how you know that all these Republican closet case Congressmen aren't really latent homosexuals, but the real thing. They've already accepted to themselves what they are, and it shows in their voice against their will. But some people really had no clue and when they came out it suddenly descended on them.

by Anonymousreply 7312/08/2012

[quote]I always thought it came about by young boys/future gay men being influenced by flamboyant, expressive women.

I'd agree with this too. When I was little I used to love imitating exuberant women from various movies. I still do, actually.

by Anonymousreply 7512/08/2012

3Girls3

by Anonymousreply 7612/10/2012

This thread is full of self-loathing.

by Anonymousreply 7712/10/2012

This will not end well.

by Anonymousreply 7812/10/2012

Do we think Chris Colfer's voice is authentic? I hope not....

by Anonymousreply 7901/29/2013

you can be the nelliest queen, but the deal breaker for me is your voice. Gay voice, for-get IT! I'm not talking to you ever again.

by Anonymousreply 8001/29/2013

I'd be interested in this peer-reviewed article that R58 mentions

by Anonymousreply 8101/29/2013

I was ridiculed as a "sissy-boy" by my own family by the time I was about 5 years old, and I just changed that about myself, and emulated the speech patterns and mannerisms of my father and older brothers. I spent many years trying to change my same-sex attractions, but was unable to do so. When I started going into the Montrose area of Houston to pick up men to have sex with, about 1980, I began to acquire some of that "nelly" behavior, but made up my mind to avoid that because I don't see it as attractive or desireable. Other people can be whatever they are, but I don't intend to be a "nelly-man". I like to fuck them if they are pretty, but I won't go out with them in public. I live very discreetly or what y'all call "in the closet".

by Anonymousreply 8201/29/2013

many of my masculine gay male friends say Gay voice is a dick wilter!!

by Anonymousreply 8301/29/2013

r82, you are not alone!!! Being gay does not mean emulating members of the opposite sex. Masc for Masc IS THE IDEAL in the gay male world, just like femme for femme in the gay woman world.

by Anonymousreply 8401/29/2013

I don't want to be prejudiced, and I will have sex with anybody who is nice about it. AND SAFE! Will certainly let them look at me naked and suck my dick if they act like a harmless nice person and politely ask me. But I don't really lust after the effeminate men very much.

by Anonymousreply 8501/30/2013

Well, shoot fire! I thought the word I wrote was perfectly legitimate, and I have never before been told that it is a childish epithet, nor any kind of slur.

by Anonymousreply 8601/30/2013

Most of you picked it up unconsciously, including many of you when you were still pretending to be straight.

by Anonymousreply 8701/30/2013

R1, if it's "learned," from whom did I learn it if I'd never seen, let alone listened to, any gay males?

R46, +1 on "elongated vowels."

by Anonymousreply 8801/30/2013

R58, "feminized brain." ICAM.

by Anonymousreply 8901/30/2013

I've always wondered about this myself. And I wonder why some gay men are just more effeminate than others. I really think a lot of it has to do with early influences. Once a youngun realizes there's something, uh, different about himself, he starts to emulate others from his presumed tribe; he picks up the mannerisms and traits of those he thinks he is like.

by Anonymousreply 9001/30/2013

R90 Someone hypothesized here once that it has to with coming out later in life and still keeping those bitchy" mean girls" conventions from childhood. It's sad really. Can you imagine what the male gay community could accomplish if the queeniness and bitchiness dissipated? On second thought not much if you think about it!;)

by Anonymousreply 9101/30/2013

Gay voice can't be helped. Believe me, that is not learned.

by Anonymousreply 9201/30/2013

There is an affectation, yes. But some people just sound gay in the tone of their voice.

by Anonymousreply 9301/30/2013

I volunteer with little kids once a week at a YMCA child care facility. There is a 5-year-old whom I see occasionally who is obviously gay--he plays with dolls, likes to draw, does not like to play with other boys, his best friends are girls (highly unusual at that age) and he has a very high-pitched girlish sounding voice. He is nothing like other boys his age (I've been doing this over 10 years now). His mother seems like a perfectly nice, normal woman, not at all flamboyant or ultra-feminine--have never met his father. I think in his case it must be biological. I doubt that he is imitating anyone. He's a beautiful, sweet-natured child, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 9401/30/2013

R79 Chris Colfer's voice is authentic, as it's something he has said many times he wishes he could change. His voice is more high pitched than having any kind of accent, though. He has a noticeable scar on his neck from surgery when he was young, so I've wondered if that contributed in some way.

by Anonymousreply 9501/30/2013

I can't listen to Nate Berkus who's guilty the higher pitch at the end of every phrase and sentence.

by Anonymousreply 9601/30/2013

Some of it has to do with teeth. Spaces allows air to come through which create sibiliant s's.

by Anonymousreply 9701/30/2013

Well, in my opinion there are two main types of gay voice:

-There is the very classic stereotype lisp, with an added crassness, like Charles Nelson Reilly and Paul Lynde - who were probably trying to sound like Bea Arthur or Susan Hayward...or maybe Lauren Bacall.

-There is the gay California style accent, where every sentence sounds like a question? Like, Omigod? This we learned from the 80s movies, since they were all filmed in California, like totally!

by Anonymousreply 9801/30/2013

I had to go to speech classes in elementary school for my S's. I would say sssssssnake, but it's all gone now. I can't get rid of my country twang.

I once worked with a guy who was very attractive and I was shocked when I found out he was married to a woman. He had such a high pitch voice that I just assumed he was gay. It was a turn off, it just didn't fit with his muscular body. Of course, he did spend quite a bit of time with another male coworker.

Someone mentioned Peter Sarsgaard's voice and it is the best example. He played a bisexual in the movie Kinsey so I thought he might have been doing it for that role but he has it in everything. It's more of a quivering voice than a high pitch.

Some people who have it are straight so you can only imagine how that must be for them, it probably costs them dates. I'm turned off by the gay voice in men with a bodybuilder's physique, it just doesn't fit. In someone like Chris Colfer it's not such a big deal.

It's the over the top ones, that take it to the level of "guurrrrrrrrrl, you know those shoes don't go with that dress" that are taking it to it's zenith. People like that are fun to be around but people are usually laughing at them just as much as what they are saying. It's the same reason drag shows are fun, it's the over the top factor.

I admire people who are fearless enough to be that out there all the time, not that some of them have any choice. I think a big part of it for some is letting people know they are gay without having to do a special coming out episode with every new person. It's a flashing neon sign. I've always wondered if it is easier to meet other gay men by going that route, especially in a small town setting that doesn't have certain areas you go to in order to troll for cock.

Most people with gay voice probably have it naturally. Some people can sing, some people can SANG, some people have gay voice, some people have DIVA voice. As Eric Clapton sang, "it's in the way that you use it".

What causes it? Hormones, probably. Does a transgender man's voice change he goes on hormones to transition to a female?

by Anonymousreply 9901/30/2013

I totally agree w/ the "ssssssssss" and the eeelooongaaaated vooooowels". But, as a man with gay voice, let me ask my fellow queers: Does the "lip pucker" have anything to do with gay voice? I KNOW that I do the lip thing, and to me THAT is a big give away on the 'dar.

I don't think I'm as flaming as Adam Lambert, but here's a link with a first rate example of what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 10001/30/2013

R96, that's not Gay Voice. It's upspeak. Look it up. Natie may also have Gay Voice, but that's "upspeak" you're describing.

by Anonymousreply 10101/30/2013

My voice is pretty deep, but I'm also prone to lisping.

by Anonymousreply 10201/30/2013

I have two teen boy relatives on the West Coast who drop g's at the end of a word. They say "Good Morneen." Is this part of Valley Girl sing-song speech?

by Anonymousreply 10301/30/2013

I remember a neighborhood boy who was what we used to call a sissy (I'm an eldergay); he had effeminate mannerisms and what you call "Gay voice." I was about 13 and he was 9 or so. Later I saw him in a gay bar and he went home with me that night.

by Anonymousreply 10401/30/2013

Frank Dilella from NY1's On Stage program. He also draws out the last word of his sentence on a slightly lower pitch.

by Anonymousreply 10501/30/2013

LOL the epitome of gay voice

by Anonymousreply 10601/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.