Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

SMASH - Pilot Episode is Here!

You can download the pilot ep. of SMASH from the link using one of the file services.

by Anonymousreply 60003/20/2012

Anyone have a review?

by Anonymousreply 201/18/2012

These guys do, r2.

by Anonymousreply 301/18/2012

It makes me laugh when I see commercials for this. Not so much that it might be a bad show but because I know NBC is in serious trouble and how could they think a show that will in no way appeal to heterosexual men ever be the hit to bring them out of their doldrums?

by Anonymousreply 401/18/2012

Pleasantly surprised with Kat McPhee

by Anonymousreply 501/18/2012

It's also on Time Warner cable ON DEMAND Primetime features.

by Anonymousreply 601/18/2012

I mentioned what I thought in the Debra Messing thread. It wasn't bad but I couldn't get into it for some reason (might've just been because I was so tired when I watched it). The previews makes it look like it's all about Kat McPhee's character but it's actually an ensemble show. I'll have to do a proper re-watch to gather my thoughts but I think it'll do very well for NBC. Putting it in the post-Superbowl slot certainly won't hurt, either.

by Anonymousreply 701/18/2012

R& - who did you prefer for the Marilyn role?

by Anonymousreply 801/18/2012

Let me tell you abut Deb Messing...

by Anonymousreply 901/18/2012

Yet another reason for the angry drunkard to beat his wife, post Superbowl.

by Anonymousreply 1001/18/2012

Pilots are always kinda boring, but I was interested enough to watch another episode. Debra Messing does nothing for me, so I don't care about her character. McPhee is a decent actress, but the notion that she's some huge Broadwayesque talent when she's a barely serviceable pop singer is laughable.

by Anonymousreply 1101/18/2012

[quote]but the notion that she's some huge Broadwayesque talent when she's a barely serviceable pop singer is laughable

That part made no sense to me. For musicals, shouldn't the actors have prepared a monologue or acting piece too and not just sing? I've heard these auditions usually require acting, singing and dancing. Is that not true?

[quote]R& - who did you prefer for the Marilyn role?

I assume you mean me, R7. I don't know. The blond girl looked way too much like Jessica Simpson for me to buy her as Marilyn.

by Anonymousreply 1201/18/2012

Deb Messing was a revelation as Harper in the NYU production of Angels in America 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1301/18/2012

[quote] Pilots are always kinda boring

Ahem. Modern Family, Lost.

by Anonymousreply 1401/18/2012

I never saw the "Ahem" pilot. Must've lasted a nanosecond. What was it about? Who was in it?

by Anonymousreply 1501/18/2012

R14 made a typo. He meant Amen. You can see what you missed here, R15:

by Anonymousreply 1601/18/2012

OK, that makes more sense LOL. I thought I was going crazy, cuz I never heard of "Ahem." I was actually thinking he meant "Amen" but I didn't want to come off as an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 1701/18/2012

I wouldn't say pilots tend to be boring but they do tend to be weaker than regular episodes because there's so much story and characters to set up. Some pilots manage to forego the doldrums anyway: Revenge, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Prison Break.

My thoughts on Smash is that they've got too much going on. Too many subplots to keep track of meaning it'll be hard to reign in so many storylines once the show gets going. But I could be wrong about that.

by Anonymousreply 1801/18/2012

How many oldsters will be tuning in, expecting to see Hawkeye making witty but barbed comments?

by Anonymousreply 1901/18/2012

I was surprised how much I didn't dislike Deb Messing.

And the Borle role was the one turned down by John Barrowman, right?

by Anonymousreply 2001/18/2012

Borle's face is not fit for television.

by Anonymousreply 2101/18/2012

I think it would have been more interesting with J Barrowman in the role.

by Anonymousreply 2301/18/2012

I'm glad it's not Barrowman. He's fucking obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 2401/18/2012

Which role was Barrowman up for?

by Anonymousreply 2501/18/2012

John Barrowman doesn't have any chemistry with Messing (and may still hate her for his missing out on the biggest role of his career) - he was originally up for the part of Will.

by Anonymousreply 2601/18/2012

Barrowman probably felt he should have been offered the role of the director/choreographer that Jack Davenport got.

by Anonymousreply 2701/18/2012

How is Angelica Huston? Is she bothering or is she just paying for another beach house? I love her and would watch it just for her and her Witches wig.

by Anonymousreply 2801/18/2012

Isn't Megan Hilty from Nine to Five in it too?

by Anonymousreply 2901/18/2012

It was between Boerle and Barowman and they chose Boerle

by Anonymousreply 3001/18/2012

I really liked Angelica in this and I've never had any particular feelings about her one way or another before this show.

I'm a little surprised to see such a lukewarm response to this show here. Did DLers not like the pilot or do you just not care about this show?

by Anonymousreply 3101/18/2012

Most of us are too busy watching GLEE and the rest of us aren't technologically savvy enough to download it or watch it on demand.

Talk to us again after it officially airs on NBC after the Super Bowl.

by Anonymousreply 3201/19/2012

[quote]Pilots are always kinda boring

[quote]Ahem. Modern Family, Lost.

Other pilots that were awesome instead of crappy include:

Amerian Horror Story

Fresh Meat

Childrens Hospital

the Doctor Who reboot

Family Guy

Bob's Burgers

Cheyenne Cinnamon

Sealab 2021

Rick and Steve, The Happiest Gay Couple in All the World

Morel Oral

and Titan Maximum.

by Anonymousreply 3301/19/2012

[quote]JB was busy with his series anyway

What series?

by Anonymousreply 3401/19/2012

FYI, earlier posters are incorrect--Smash isn't premiering post-Super Bowl.

NBC is airing the first episode of this season's The Voice in that slot.

Smash will air the day after the Super Bowl (Mon, 2/6).

by Anonymousreply 3501/19/2012

Torchwood, which will be back next season (unlike SMASH, which will tank in the ratings and be a one-season wonder).

by Anonymousreply 3601/19/2012

I watched the pilot. Just okay. Actually pretty cheap looking in a lot of ways. No way this is anything more than a modest success. Certainly will not change NBC's fortunes. I can't believe most of the general public give a shit about some chick trying to make it on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 3701/19/2012

All the tv ads I've seen for it say it's airing post-Super Bowl. Did NBC change their minds?

by Anonymousreply 3801/19/2012

I doubt a series with a title like Smash makes it past one season. There are too many jealous "Smash? well I'll be the judge of that!" types around.

by Anonymousreply 3901/19/2012

I thought I was pretty in tune with current television but I have no idea what half the shows are in r33's post!

by Anonymousreply 4001/19/2012

I watched it on demand the other day. I'm not impressed but I luvs Debra Messing and Kat Mcphee.

by Anonymousreply 4101/19/2012

In what universe can that dance number (Marilyn and the baseball players) be considered "brilliant" as Messing's character and others declare it?

I agree; the show will flop.

by Anonymousreply 4201/19/2012

The stick-up-their-butts at Television Without Pity loved it so it could have more of a chance of catching on than people think. People who tune in expecting another Glee however will be disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 4301/19/2012

[quote] In what universe can that dance number (Marilyn and the baseball players) be considered "brilliant" as Messing's character and others declare it?

Much like the show ENTOURAGE, where you are supposed to suspend disbelief that someone who looks like Adrian Grenier would be a big star (an action star at that!) , you are supposed to take for granted that the singing and musical numbers in SMASH are brilliant when they tell us they are, for if they really were, they wouldn't be on a weekly network series.

by Anonymousreply 4401/19/2012

The endless promo for this show is making me hope that it's a huge FLOP. Enough already with the fucking ads.

by Anonymousreply 4501/19/2012

R44 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 4601/19/2012

My hatred for the ads for this is exceded only by the 24/7 ads they're doing for that Tom Hanks 9/11 weepie. Please stop.

by Anonymousreply 4701/19/2012

R7 here again (no I'm not an NBC shill). I was really tired when I watched the pilot the first time so I thought I'd give it another try yesterday. I didn't enjoy it very much again so I thought it was because I was distracted. So I watched it a third time today and...yeah. It's very mediocre to bordering on dull. The Karen character is cliched as hell and that's what annoyed me more than anything else: the small-town sweet and innocent ingenue talent up against the experienced bombshell actress? Blah.

I'd still think this show has a chance of making it, but if they're not airing it post-Superbowl then maybe not. I can't believe how immensely stupid NBC is being by giving the post-Superbowl slot to The Voice instead. The Voice is an established hit already, it doesn't need the immense boost but Smash does. NBC=stupid stupid stupid!

by Anonymousreply 4801/19/2012

Superbowl audience -- not the target audience for a show about Broadway, I don't think.

by Anonymousreply 4901/19/2012

I tried watching it as well but got really, really bored after 15 minutes. The Karen character is such a cliche as is the "blonde bombshell." It seems like such a dumb plot for such a "sophisticated" topic. Plus I can't imagine a worse idea that a musical about Marilyn Monroe. And everyone is acting like that's the greatest idea ever.

It's almost moronic.

by Anonymousreply 5001/19/2012

Actually, I don't think that's necessarily true R49. For one thing, plenty of women watch football and will be tuning into the Superbowl. Whatever show follows the Superbowl each year automatically gets a huge spike in ratings no matter what it is. Whether or not it keeps up the ratings (Sarah Connor Chronicles) is another matter altogether but the Superbowl is always a huge launching pad for a show in terms of ratings just because so many people of all demographics watch it.

I really wish I liked the show more. This was the one show I was looking forward to this season.

by Anonymousreply 5101/19/2012

I thought the pilot was just okay. It bordered on tawdry and silly when the director texts Kat McPhee for a late night "meeting" which is actually a casting couch booty call. I thought it was a cheap, soap opera move and it didn't advance the story other than to make the director sleazy. Kat's lap dance compromise was boring and I think the show would have been alot more interesting if this scene was cut. Unless, of course, the casting couch is still a rampant phenomenon on Broadway? I would think it's more common for a chorus boy to be sucking off Borle than for the leading ladies to be spreading their legs for the lead (Marilyn) role.

by Anonymousreply 5201/19/2012

Silly? You've obviously never been offered a lift home by a director, who then proceeded to invite himself up for a nightcap.

by Anonymousreply 5301/19/2012

McPhee is pleasant-looking and has a pleasant-sounding voice, so of course when she sings pleasantly for the audition panel, they are immediately all going to be blown away by her star power. Sure...after the Apocalypse when all of the real talent on Broadway has been killed off.

When was the last time a Broadway show had chorus boys and girls dressed like the ensemble in "Heaven on Earth"? The '60s? Which seems to be the period any of these characters stopped going to shows, by the looks and sounds of what they think is "incredible."

Anjelica Huston, who I've always loved, styles herself like that ironically, correct?

You just know McPhee's parents want her to come back to Iowa to get her away from her darky boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 5401/19/2012

Actually I got the feeling the parents liked the boyfriend more than their own daughter because he at least has a "real" job.

by Anonymousreply 5501/19/2012

Wow you people are tough. I wonder if lawyers sit around talking about how unrealistic Law and Order is, or doctors complaining about Grey's Anatomy. It's a TV show, meant to entertain, and at least for me, they have succeeded. I am looking forward to seeing where they go with it.

by Anonymousreply 5601/19/2012

L&O is unrealistic?

by Anonymousreply 5701/19/2012

Why is Anjelica slumming it on this piece of crap? Isn't she rich enough that she can be far more selective about what she appears in?

by Anonymousreply 5801/19/2012

SMASH: The sound careers make when they hit rock bottom.

by Anonymousreply 5901/19/2012

It's not horrible by any means. I actually think it's fun. I can see myself continuing to watch. McPhee sings circles around Hilty.

by Anonymousreply 6001/19/2012

All the ads say Monday after Superbowl.

Anyone else hate THE VOICE?

by Anonymousreply 6101/21/2012

Yes, go ahead and root against the primetime show which will feature several gay characters and several gay romances.

And then scream when you don't see another broadcast show tell those stories for years to come.

by Anonymousreply 6201/21/2012

Fuck off, R22, and go back to your flea-bitten cat and empty life. This is a show right up DL's alley.

by Anonymousreply 6301/21/2012

All the NBC buzz and ads are setting expectations too high.

After reading everybody's comments, I'm still excited to watch this show, but my expectations are lower. Which is probably a good thing. Nothing worse than feeling disappointed. Also, I think this show will need some time to grow.

It's such a wonderful idea. But it needs some air to breathe.

by Anonymousreply 6401/21/2012

I think i's a big gamble. It does like like a show right up DL's alley but I wonder if middle America will embrace ir, but having Deb HotMessing may help because they know her as the lovable "Grace," (and she is playing her role here more or less the same way)

I hope it succeeds.

by Anonymousreply 6501/21/2012

[quote]The Voice is an established hit already, it doesn't need the immense boost but Smash does. NBC=stupid stupid stupid!

Actually, NBC needs The Voice to be a hit more than Smash.

The Voice is much cheaper to make and takes up more primetime space than a one-hour drama.

Since American Idol's ratings are down significantly, The Voice could actually pull ahead of it.

If The Voice performs like it did the first season, it'll actually make it easier for Smash to survive, especially if Smash only gets middling ratings.

by Anonymousreply 6601/21/2012

[quote]Actually, NBC needs The Voice to be a hit more than Smash.

You misunderstood what I'm saying, R66. The Voice is ALREADY a huge hit for NBC which is why it doesn't need the Superbowl timeslot. Last season it was hitting demos in the 4.0s which is heads and tails above anything else NBC has on its schedule right now. The Voice doesn't need the launchpad, Smash does because it's new. That way NBC could have another potential hit in addition to The Voice (well, provided Smash keeps its ratings up). Putting The Voice after the SB is just a huge waste of that timeslot.

by Anonymousreply 6701/21/2012

No, I think NBC made the right call in slotting The Voice after the Super Bowl instead of Smash. Premiering a new show after the Super Bowl puts undue pressure on it, and more often than not, the show doesn't last too long. (Anyone see the latest episodes of "The Good Life" or "Extreme"?)

In the past 10 years or so, the major networks have mostly reverted to putting a new episode of their buzziest program on after the Super Bowl ("Glee," "The Office," "Grey's Anatomy"). Since "The Voice" is pretty much all NBC has at this point, they're just following the trend by putting it on after the game. And the Peacock is smart to give "Smash" pretty much the only guaranteed successful lead-in they have.

by Anonymousreply 6801/21/2012

I refuse to watch The Voice because it will have two homophobes - that Brad Shelton guy and now Kelly Clarkson.

by Anonymousreply 6901/21/2012

The Voice was a hit its first season, but it's hardly a sure thing coming back, so NBC is smart in putting it after the Super Bowl.

The Voice was a hit last year, because it had zero competition when it was airing.

Now, NBC tried (and failed) to turn the Sing-Off into a similar-sized hit. The X-Factor came and went with decent ratings but very little buzz, and now Idol is up and running.

The Voice needs the boost.

by Anonymousreply 7001/21/2012

[quote]I watched the pilot. Just okay. Actually pretty cheap looking in a lot of ways.

Riiiiiiiight. Filmed entirely on location in New York, with an Oscar winner in a lead role and multiple scenes shot in Times Square, one of the single most logistically difficult and difficult places on Earth to film anything, along with multiple original songs (unlike "Glee," which uses existing ones) and dance numbers. I'm *really* curious to hear your definition of "cheap," cupcake.

by Anonymousreply 7101/21/2012

Please. The pilot looks great in terms of production values.

I think it's really well done but I didn't like the Messing/Borle characters saying their own work was "brilliant," not once but twice. And calling the director/choreographer's work "sensational." How about "good" and "has a lot of potential." There shouldn't be any hyperbole used at the start of this show.

by Anonymousreply 7201/21/2012

I loved the pilot, but pretty much my only qualm is that the entire show's promotion has been built around the competition between Ivy and Karen for the part when really there doesn't seem to be any.

Yes, McPhee has a very good voice, but the characters treat her as if she's some revelatory talent, when in reality there are a million girls in Manhattan who could sing like that. Borle's character has a very valid point when he says that Ivy/Hilty looks like Marilyn, and she acts like her too. The glimpses in the preview of McPhee in costume as Marilyn were not convincing. We have no reason to believe that Karen deserves to be Marilyn besides being told so constantly.

by Anonymousreply 7301/21/2012

Yes, r73, I was wondering about that too when I watched the endless "this season on" clips, which suggest that the competition will be dragged out ad infinitum -- it's like they came up with a gimmick for a first ep, then didn't really think through how it could sustain a whole series (Lost, anyone??).

by Anonymousreply 7401/21/2012

Supposedly they pick the Marilyn in epi 2 so I'm not sure what the rest of the season will be. I'm assuming the loser (non McPhee)comes on board as the scheming understudy.

What's going to happen once the show opens? Or will that be the year the kids graduate in Glee. But at least high school lasts for 3-4 years. How many years can it take to open a show?

by Anonymousreply 7501/21/2012

But Bernadette will be playing Megan's mother!

by Anonymousreply 7601/21/2012

NBC already cut the order for the show. Producers are offering to retool and McPhee is on the chopping block. Huston and Messing are expensive, too, so one of them may have to go. And Peters was supposed to have a multi-episode arc but that's been cut, too.

by Anonymousreply 7701/22/2012

Uma Thurman is apparently hilarious as a Hollywood star who swoops in to play Marilyn and the bitch can't sing or dance.

by Anonymousreply 7801/22/2012

Except lawyers didn't create Law and Order and doctors didn't create Grey's Anatomy. Smash was created by Michael Mayer, Scott Wittman, Marc Shaiman and numerous others who are mainstays of Broadway theater and should know better. They've all obviously swallowed their pride and are sucking up to Exec Producer Steven Spielberg who has clearly NEVER worked on a Broadway show.

And as for dull pilot episodes, in the old days one could barely tell which shows WERE the pilots on I Love Lucy, MASH, Cheers, Seinfeld and dozens of other brilliant shows.

by Anonymousreply 7901/22/2012

[quote]And as for dull pilot episodes, in the old days one could barely tell which shows WERE the pilots on I Love Lucy, MASH, Cheers, Seinfeld and dozens of other brilliant shows.

That is so not true.

I don't think most people on this thread even understand what a pilot is when people spout bullshit like that.

by Anonymousreply 8001/22/2012

All complete bullshit, r77. Not an ounce of truth.

by Anonymousreply 8101/22/2012

R16- the previous poster was not referring to Amen. "Ahem" was a clearing his throat meaning "Excuse me" sound.

As in, "Excuse me, Modern Family and Lost pilots sucked."

by Anonymousreply 8201/22/2012

Dear, dear r61. Where have you been? The Superbowl is and always has been on SUNDAY. And Smash is on the Monday after the Superbowl, as in the next day.

by Anonymousreply 8301/22/2012

[quote]It makes me laugh when I see commercials for this. Not so much that it might be a bad show but because I know NBC is in serious trouble and how could they think a show that will in no way appeal to heterosexual men ever be the hit to bring them out of their doldrums?

Well, since that pretty much describes the entirety of ABC's success, I'm not sure what's so funny about it.

Women are the audience for television. Look at ALL the recent hits and they have one thing in common. Strong stories involving lead women that appeal to a female audience. They make movies for teenage boys and television for women. Gay guys get Broadway and straight guys get sports.

by Anonymousreply 8401/22/2012

This show needs much hotter guys on it if it's going to appeal to women. And if they replaced McPhee with Uma Thurman the show would be much, much funnier (and more interesting). I like the idea of a musical lead with no talent.

by Anonymousreply 8501/22/2012

[quote]Why is Anjelica slumming it on this piece of crap? Isn't she rich enough that she can be far more selective about what she appears in?

What's rich enough and how rich can she be? She is and always has been a character actress. She never got the multi million dollar pay checks. Love how people automatically assume all actors are filthy rich.

by Anonymousreply 8601/22/2012

[quote]Smash was created by Michael Mayer, Scott Wittman, Marc Shaiman and numerous others who are mainstays of Broadway theater and should know better.

It's not ignorance to leads to television being unrealistic, it's required plot contrivance. If Smash is unrealistic, it's not because the creators/producers/writers don't know how Broadway really works, it's because they have a story to tell and in order to tell it, they have to throw out some of the realities to drive the story and characters the way they want it. If you make it completely realistic, chances are you'll bore your audiences to death. Think about how unrealistic lawyer shows are, even Law & Order. Most of the cases there would probably get dismissed due to civil or criminal procedural rules. Think that makes for sexy, compelling tv? Of course not.

All tv is contrived. It has to be to get the audience to root for the story and characters. I'll bet even ER was unrealistic and that show was created by Harvard med school grad Michael Crichton.

[quote]They've all obviously swallowed their pride and are sucking up to Exec Producer Steven Spielberg who has clearly NEVER worked on a Broadway show.

I would guess that Spielberg is not heavily involved in this project and his exec producer credit stretches about as far as Brett Ratner's exec producer credit did on Prison Break, or Bryan Singer's did on House. I could be wrong, though but how often does he do tv?

by Anonymousreply 8701/22/2012

America's Kidz Got Singing Comes on after it.

by Anonymousreply 8801/22/2012

R58, No. She left a small film she wanted to do very badly (Dark Knight) on very short notice (a week before filming began) simply because this offer came in last minute and she really needed the money. Doing this is so that she can be selective in the future, she's just still not at that point yet.

by Anonymousreply 8901/22/2012

Debra Messing was shooting last Friday so it is not true that she got fired.

by Anonymousreply 9001/22/2012

I really liked it a lot. I sometimes wonder if you people like anything at all.

One critique is that McPhee is very appealing as an actress, but I don't get a great voice.

And it could've used a bit more sizzle.

by Anonymousreply 9101/22/2012

My favorite little bit of cognitive dissonance in the pilot was Messing's character's noble declaration that she wanted to make the Marilyn musical because Marilyn once pleaded "don't let them make a joke out of me". The musical is ostensibly being mounted in order to provide a window into Marilyn's psyche while at the same time remaining respectful.

And what's the first number we see from the show? Simulated sex with a gaggle of baseball players and a bunch of bats getting stuck in her face like penises as she oohs and ahhs.

by Anonymousreply 9201/23/2012

Couldn't agree w/you more, R92.

by Anonymousreply 9301/23/2012

R87, Spielberg is heavily involved. In fact it was HIS idea.

by Anonymousreply 9401/23/2012

It's cheap looking in that it looks like it is filmed in real locations on digital video or something.

by Anonymousreply 9501/24/2012

Bet they have both Megan and Kat play MM.

by Anonymousreply 9601/24/2012

It's not looking good for this show.

by Anonymousreply 9701/26/2012

R97, you already LIED about the show when you posted at R77. Completely pathetic and ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 9801/26/2012

Forget the issue of whether the show can sustain more than one season (is every season going to be we put on a show and it's a smash!?), nothing on the pilot suggested anything we didn't already see in 42ND STREET, et al. And the musical numbers were on par with Betty's numbas in THE FAN.

by Anonymousreply 9901/26/2012

I actually liked it. The writing was a little forced at times, and I noticed the "don't make a joke of me" vs. the sexual innuendo baseball number, and it bothered me at first too. After thinking about how the full show would go, though, you'd have to have some numbers where Marilyn was playing the character, or persona, she created for the public. Maybe thats whats going on there. Hopefully in a fully realized production you would get to see both sides of this complicated woman. IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 10001/28/2012

This better be a hit for NBC. They're making people drink donkey semen to create some buzz on Fear Factor.

Imagine what'll they do if Smash flops!

by Anonymousreply 10101/28/2012

How long before they do a Tijuana donkey show on NBC in primetime?

by Anonymousreply 10201/28/2012

[quote]If you make it completely realistic, chances are you'll bore your audiences to death.

And yet, despite all the contrivances (which I agree should be forgivable), it's STILL boring.

I said this in another thread, but who in this country (outside NYC) cares about Broadway success or stardom? Broadway doesn't matter to most people. The central joke in GLEE is that Rachel and Kurt are aggressively pursuing something so amazingly arcane and trivial as a song and dance career as if it was a matter of national importance. They're kids and their delusions are charming.

Those people who are comparing SMASH to THE WEST WING should watch some old episodes of STUDIO 60. A much better written and acted show, but to what end? That high stakes, high pressure approach was pitiful when applied to a silly late night sketch comedy show. When the goal is something as mind-bogglingly inconsequential as a Marilyn Monroe musical (those awful dinner theatre numbers!) I can't imagine the audience can get invested.

by Anonymousreply 10301/28/2012

NBC is NOT airing the Donkey semen episode of Fear Factor. So I guess it's okay if this is only a modest hit.

by Anonymousreply 10401/29/2012

I watched this over the weekend.

Liked it a LOT more than I thought I would.

Ivy has the better voice, so McKatharine will get the part.

I'll watch a few more episodes to see how it goes.

by Anonymousreply 10501/29/2012

Just now watched it and I too liked it more than I thought I would.

by Anonymousreply 10601/29/2012

All the complaints about the baseball number making a joke out of Marilyn don't take into account the fact that the very first number we see (admittedly in choppy excerpts) is actually (Slight spoiler!) the ballad that Ivy records for the writers that gets leaked on YouTube by the assistant's mother. Once Ivy tones down the belt and gets her Marilyn-voice on, the song gives a nice peak into Marilyn's yearning for fame while also noting (I'm paraphrasing) that all her men "get my kisses but never can own my heart." Hopefully, we'll get to see both Hilty and McPhee take a crack at this one with the full fantasy-sequence treatment down the road. Yes, the first full-out number is campy and silly, but Rebeck, Shaiman and Wittman were smart to start off softly with this suggestion that Messing (at least) does indeed want to take Marilyn seriously.

It's also true that with one look at Hilty, you'd think everyone would stop the casting right there (aside from the fact that her character isn't famous), but McPhee is appealing enough that I want her to succeed in some way, anyway. Nice, too, that Hilty is not written as a one-dimensional bitch. Will be fun to see how Uma Thurman's movie-star character figures into the plotline. Also, Raza Jaffrey, who plays McPhee's boyfriend, was in Bombay Dreams in London. Bollywood number down the road? He deserves one.

by Anonymousreply 10801/29/2012

Promotions for this looks like it's in full swing.

But will it help that ratings that a lot of people have already seen the pilot?

by Anonymousreply 10902/01/2012

I'm with R11 all the way. I mean, really? We've seen what she's got, and she ain't brilliant in any way.

by Anonymousreply 11002/01/2012

NBC spent 25 Million to promo this thing plus 7 million on the pilot. They even held some big deal event at the MET. I guess they're trying to make this an event but at a certain point, this has to be more than a big hit for the network to regroup.

by Anonymousreply 11102/01/2012

R105, Kat has the better voice.

by Anonymousreply 11202/01/2012

I liked it. The characters are one note and weak, but did anyone ever call Reno Sweeney complex? A show about broadway using a broadway-appropriate plot and characters kind of works for me.

And the musical numbers are fun and cheesy. I thought Kat did a better job than Christina on Beautiful, I didn't even recognize the bridge in the commercial.

Oh, and christian is adorable. Very happy to see him again.

by Anonymousreply 11302/01/2012

Everyone who wanted to see the pilot has. It's been streamed, it's been On Demanded. Watch the press attack when the first official showing gets no ratings.

by Anonymousreply 11402/01/2012

Can someone tell me about Debra Messing? I heard she had something to do with the Greek debt crisis

by Anonymousreply 11502/01/2012

Anybody watching?

by Anonymousreply 11602/06/2012

Not perfect, but all I can say is:

Angelica Huston, bitches. Anjelica MOTHERFUCKING Huston, showing the children HOW. IT'S. DONE.

by Anonymousreply 11702/06/2012

It was a bit boring and cliche. But it's a pilot. I loved the last number. And the dark haired gal can sing.

BTW, Who the hell is going to watch it besides fags?

by Anonymousreply 11802/06/2012

Watched it tonight. Really liked it. I get that it's a pilot but it's already so much better than the usual dreg that is on . Can't wait to see the next couple weeks.

by Anonymousreply 11902/06/2012

I have no idea who you guys are who have been bad mouthing this, but that was fantastic! I honestly feel bad for someone who wouldn't enjoy that. My heart was beating a mile a minute during that last song!

by Anonymousreply 12002/06/2012

"Filmed entirely on location in New York City", my ass. That brief walk Anjelica Huston did with the director looked like a matte shot. You did not see one single logo in Times Square, except the word "Disney" and "Bank of" (America). They were very careful to blur out any billboards of any existing Broadway shows (maybe a copyright issue?) although that didn't stop them from taking that cheap shot at "SpiderMan."

The whole thing gave me a headache. Way, way too much going on: the stock parents from Iowa thing, that dopey assistant ("I brought croissants"), those ridiculous "Heaven on Earth" costumes...and Debra Messing...oy! Such overacting! During the baseball number, she did everything but roll her eyes and lick her lips. And the assumption that she and the other guy are a successful musical team is ridiculous. Anjelica Huston does class it up a tad, but she can't save this stink bomb. "Cop Rock" was better than this tripe...

by Anonymousreply 12102/06/2012

What cheap shot at Spider-Man? They were taking a shot at Reidel by quoting him.

I thought it was great. I thought it was a terrific pilot.

by Anonymousreply 12202/06/2012

I am with R117 - ANGELICA HUSTON BABY! Fierce and fabulous!

I also liked the rest of the pilot, a lot!

by Anonymousreply 12302/06/2012

That pilot was possibly worse than a kidney stone attack.

by Anonymousreply 12402/06/2012

sorry r121, they film in NY every single day. I work in midtown. They are in and around Times Square about once every 2 weeks.

Any show that has Anjelica Huston strutting down that hallway as those two bitches sing their asses off is ok with me. I sincerely have no idea how you could not love what I just watched. We were in heaven.

by Anonymousreply 12502/06/2012

Idiotic, simplistic and cliched. Anjelica deserves a show like Danages. Please rescue her anyone.

by Anonymousreply 12602/07/2012

Just got finished watching tonight's episode/pilot. I liked it better than I thought I would. Seems to be a Glee for grown-ups.

I will watch a couple of more weeks to see if I continue to enjoy it. So far, so good.

by Anonymousreply 12702/07/2012

I thought Deb Messing was restrained here, actually.

by Anonymousreply 12802/07/2012

I am surprised you queens aren't creaming over or seriously trashing this show.

by Anonymousreply 12902/07/2012

R121, it's 100% shot in NYC. And that scene with Davenport/Huston was absolutely shot in Times Square.

R108, they shot a Bollywood number last Wednesday and yes, Raza Jaffrey kicks ass in it.

by Anonymousreply 13002/07/2012

Worse than "Pan Am"!

by Anonymousreply 13102/07/2012

Cancelled by June.

by Anonymousreply 13202/07/2012

Debra Messing's belted sweater? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 13302/07/2012

Almost 12 million viewers, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 13402/07/2012

Can't wait for this show to be cancelled, the promos are sickening. When Messing says "she glows from within" I want to gag!

by Anonymousreply 13502/07/2012

Some of you are determined to hate any and everything. How sad for you.

by Anonymousreply 13602/07/2012

There is a very small number of really passionate posters dissing the show in this thread. Some of them are just honest opinions but one user in particular has posted multiple times trying to viciously attack the show. Odd.

Anyway, I enjoyed it as a pilot. It didn't blow my mind but it was entertaining and left me wanting to see more. I was pleasantly surprised by Messing who was likeable and not nearly as annoying as I expected.

The only character that didn't really work for me was the assistant, bitch please, your ass should be fired. Also McPhee's boyfriend character was completely perfect, didn't seem like a real person.

Glad it premiered to good ratings and I hope it continues to grow as a show, I think it has real potential. And yes, having gay main character who is undoubtedly going to have his share of romances throughout the show is nice as well.

by Anonymousreply 13702/07/2012

I didn't hate the show, but I really can't see how the show would have the widespread appeal its needs in order to recuperate the production and promotion costs.

by Anonymousreply 13802/07/2012

I'll keep watching it because pilots are notoriously dumbed down; there should be some interesting plot points/character growth. Also: keeps actors, craftspeople, and writers in NYC working.

I predict that the assistant/Eve Harrington will end up sleeping with Borle, and probably sue them for credit (profit participation) because they made a big point of saying the show was "his idea."

One thing that caused a stir at our house is that when the husband was bitching to Deb Messing about how when she's in rehearsal they never SEE her, and everything revolves around that, I turned to my sweetie and said: is it like that when I'm in production? And she just nodded.

by Anonymousreply 13902/07/2012

That was exaggeration on the "poor, put-upon" husband's part.

by Anonymousreply 14002/07/2012

[quote] order to recuperate the production and promotion costs.

Can I get an "Oh, dear!"

by Anonymousreply 14102/07/2012

[quote]Can I get an "Oh, dear!"

recuperate: [with obj.] recover or regain (something lost or taken): "they will seek to recuperate the returns that go with investment."

by Anonymousreply 14202/07/2012

SMALLVILLE had an excellent pilot as well.

by Anonymousreply 14302/07/2012

I enjoyed it. Glad to have something besides another cop show to watch. The 2 female vocalists are excellent, their voices made me tingle. Looking forward to future episodes.

by Anonymousreply 14402/07/2012

Loved the show and loved Kate Clinton as one of the judges at the beginning..hope they keep her in the show.

by Anonymousreply 14502/07/2012

Hokey - Yes. 'Fame' throwback - Yes. Music subpar - Yes. But did it draw me in ? Yes. I'll cautiously watch episodes, until they jump the shark........which I feel will be soon .

by Anonymousreply 14602/07/2012

I've read reviews where they y it hits its stride by the third episode.

by Anonymousreply 14702/07/2012

I'm a show queen, fag hag division, LOVE Bway shows; lived in NYC in the 80's, saw "everything" (yes, I'm old!), really had hopes for this show. But I only made it halfway through the pilot and couldn't take it anymore because they were trying to do WAY too much. For example, who cares about the Messing and d'Arcy James character trying to adopt a baby?? WTF??? I also think it was NOT a good idea on NBC's part to put the show on after a 2-hour episode of "The Voice" - "The Voice" has about 10 times more dramatic tension and is more "real" - and I am no automatic fan of reality tv.

I think everyone creating the show - from Spielberg, to Rebeck, and on down - has bit off WAY more than they can chew.

It would be great for this show to somehow be retooled, and capture some of the magic that was "A Chorus Line" (told you, I'm old!) - was considered to be the success it was 'cause lot of audiences could and did identify not with a career in show biz but the idea of competing in general.

(A lot of what is really going on these days in this bad job economy, yes??)

So, I should look at again, I suppose...

by Anonymousreply 14802/07/2012

I'll watch for the "sleazy and taciturn" director. Love that actor.

by Anonymousreply 14902/07/2012

Watched with my 10 year old who LOVED it. Some quotes:

"The actor playing the director was in Pirates of the Caribbean!"

"I hope the brown haired girl gets the part , but the blond seems sweet, too" "Okay, I hope they BOTH get it!"

"They're walking in Times Square- it's beautiful!"

"They're adopting- that's exciting"

She said it was "better than The Vampire Diaries". High praise indeed, so maybe it will be a hit.

Dad like the ballads but rolled my eyes at the baseball number (despite the cute Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend reference) for all the reasons other posters have stated.

Still, it was engaging in a soapy TV way and I'll be back.

Christian Borle is great.

THE SHOW IS TOO DARK!! Turn up the lights, camera man!

by Anonymousreply 15002/07/2012

NBC should have premiered "Awake" in that time slot instead of "Smash."

"Smash" was alright but it was kitschy and goofy more than anything. No real sense of melodrama with that one. It almost made me miss Aaron Spelling because he would have ran with the kitsch factor of that show really well.

by Anonymousreply 15102/07/2012

If Aaron Spelling had produced SMASH it would have been shot in LA.

by Anonymousreply 15202/07/2012

I would much rather watch showtunes than shootouts.

by Anonymousreply 15302/07/2012

I watched it again last night after previewing the pilot a couple weeks ago and liked it a little more. I liked it enough to be interested in what happens and to watch next week.

by Anonymousreply 15402/07/2012

Why can't they do numbers like this?

by Anonymousreply 15502/07/2012

An abridged script of the pilot episode.

It's genius.

by Anonymousreply 15602/07/2012

I agree [R155]. That was a humdinger.

by Anonymousreply 15702/07/2012

R156, that recap was hilarious. Thanks for posting it.

by Anonymousreply 15802/07/2012

R150. do you have a boy? Can you post pics?

by Anonymousreply 15902/07/2012

It's "recoup" not "recuperate"

re·coup    [ri-koop] verb (used with object) 1. to get back the equivalent of: to recoup one's losses by a lucky investment. 2. to regain or recover. 3. to reimburse or indemnify; pay back: to recoup a person for expenses. 4. Law . to withhold (a portion of something due), having some rightful claim to do so.

by Anonymousreply 16002/07/2012

I'm watching this right now. Messing is shockingly...not bad at all.

by Anonymousreply 16102/07/2012

That recap was actually much better than the show itself.

by Anonymousreply 16202/08/2012

The ratings were decent but I can't see this lasting. Like Broadway, it was too insular, at least so far. It might have had a better chance on, say, HBO. As a network series, the dramatic arc wasn't compelling enough. Watch the ratings plummet next week.

by Anonymousreply 16302/08/2012

After the Marilyn thing this season, how about Spielberg do a musical about Truman Capote called "This Is Why They Hate Us" for next year?

by Anonymousreply 16402/08/2012

Also, the pilot had a weird hybrid feeling of scripted reality and competition but it was neither. I mean, I admire the attempt but I thought it was a bore.

by Anonymousreply 16502/08/2012

I liked it. For a pilot it was done well and definitely grabbed my attention. I also agree the sets are too dark and that Katherine McPhee while totally a decent singer did not blow anyone's socks off with her audition.

by Anonymousreply 16602/08/2012

caveat: I was home sick all day - slept - then up most of the night - the only reason I watched it

really really bad - everyone was ACTING

Debra Messing isn't a relatable actress

couldn't get past Anjelica Huston's botoxed, epoxied face - it looks it hurts when she speaks

and Katherine McPhee is just so bland

it was plain uninteresting

and the most glaring: they are attempting to hitch their wagon to Glee - which I never watch, but assumed - they took a successful idea and copied it poorly -

by Anonymousreply 16702/08/2012

Is this cancelled yet?

by Anonymousreply 16802/08/2012

I'm glad someone else mentioned how dark it was. I first thought it was my cataracts and then I thought they were going for an old world Godfather III look and then I decided it was just completely underlit. Otherwise it was watchable and the last number had some goosebump inducing moments.

by Anonymousreply 16902/08/2012

I like Jack Davenport but after one episode won't be sitting through any more of this crap.

by Anonymousreply 17002/08/2012

They're shooting on E. 42nd Street today. Trucks outside my office building.

by Anonymousreply 17102/08/2012

I love the show but it's a big mistake they're stretching it out and after the 15 episodes of Season 1 MARILYN won't even have opened in NY yet. Each season should be a different show.

by Anonymousreply 17202/08/2012

If I am going to load my hard drive up with something thats like 2 hours long, it sure as hell is not going to be a television show.

by Anonymousreply 17302/08/2012

I could see them doing something like casting the McPhee character for when Norma Jean is on stage and the Hilti chick for when she turns into Marilyn. If they write it as if Norma Jean is narrating looking back at how her life unfolded to her becoming Marilyn and what happened to Marilyn, both women would get featured. And McPhee would beautifully portray the innocence of Marilyn that is Norma Jean and Hilti would beatifully portray the sizzle that is Marilyn.

by Anonymousreply 17402/09/2012

Jack Davenport looked good even hotter than in'd he buck the British men aging badly trend?

by Anonymousreply 17502/09/2012

I agree with R137.

by Anonymousreply 17602/09/2012

They filmed in my neighborhood, Ditmas Park in Brooklyn, last week. Fucked up parking but good. I hate with film/TV companies take over a neighborhood like they own it and tell you can't park or even walk on your own street.

by Anonymousreply 17702/09/2012

I think the audience for a drama about the making of a Broadway musical is limited at best but this series is one that you have to be in with at the beginning of the season. You can't just jump in at episode 6. The broadcast audience waned during the second half hour. It won't last.

by Anonymousreply 17802/10/2012

I couldn't even make it through the whole first episode - definitely won't be watching again.

by Anonymousreply 17902/10/2012

This doesn't appeal to middle America. NBC needs to develop shows that will reach a broad audience.

by Anonymousreply 18002/10/2012

Smash canceled after 1 episode:

by Anonymousreply 18102/10/2012

Best premiere numbers for a 10 pm drama for the season. The reviews have been overwhelmingly positive. The network will play out the season. With Smash behind The Voice, NBC has a chance to build something here.

I love the show.

by Anonymousreply 18202/10/2012

It was neither great nor awful. The singing was outstanding. It is beyond preposterous to suggest that Kat is not an exceptional singer. She could very plausibly vie for the headline in a Broadway musical (we know this because she is starring in a tv show, which is even more competitive territory).

I agree with criticisms that way too much seems to be going on. And how long did it take for that new assistant's idea for a musical about Marilyn to become a full scale pre-production show? Looked like about an afternoon. The casting couch scene made me cringe; more because it was so forcefully contrived than because of what was supposedly going on.

And enough with the Anjelica accolades. Gimme a fucking break. She didn't do anything.

by Anonymousreply 18302/10/2012

The NY Post reported today NBC turned down 3 million in Super Bowl ads to promo this show. This is on top of the 25 million already spent on promotion. They're currently laying off people to save some money.

It'll be interesting to see if the gamble on this pays off.

by Anonymousreply 18402/10/2012

The kid from r150 is spot on:

"THE SHOW IS TOO DARK!! Turn up the lights, camera man!"

Exactly. Most of the audition scenes had almost no fill lighting -- just strong backlighting from the daylight behind the dancers or actors, making everyone look like silhouettes.

I noticed the same thing the next day on Glee. Most of the younger actors were well lit, but cut to any scene with Ricky Martin and/or Jane Lynch, and we're in almost total darkness.

I'm guessing this is a high-definition trend -- don't wanna see any wrinkles, so let's just turn out the lights.

If only they knew my secret!

by Anonymousreply 18502/11/2012

Don't know why everyone's raving about the blonde 'rival'. She's a good singer, but way to porcine-like to play Monroe.

And even if she lost 20 lbs she'd still have the same snout.

by Anonymousreply 18602/11/2012

Great show, but zero humor.

by Anonymousreply 18702/11/2012

What was "great" about it?

by Anonymousreply 18802/11/2012

[quote]Best premiere numbers for a 10 pm drama for the season.

...except they dropped 40% for the second half-hour of the premiere.

[quote]The reviews have been overwhelmingly positive.

...except for the most important one, from the NY Times:

"The new series, which begins Monday on NBC, is a backstage drama set in the New York theater world, and it draws on the talents of some of the biggest names in theater and Hollywood... Given that pedigree, you’re expecting to be bowled over by the pilot, but it ends up feeling like a collage of devices from the zillions of previous backstage plays, musicals and movies: the naïve Midwesterner hoping to make it on Broadway, the egomaniacal director and so on.

But the show also uses songs from pop culture, and some of these seem forced in. How many times will these stage actors find themselves at a karaoke bar so they have an excuse to sing songs like Gretchen Wilson’s “Redneck Woman”? Unfortunately for “Smash,” as the writing and the episodes grow richer, these artificial “Glee”-like moments seem more out of place. The writers are going to need to work harder as the show rolls along to make the musical numbers seem as if they belong."

by Anonymousreply 18902/11/2012

I liked it!

by Anonymousreply 19002/11/2012

I cahn't stand it!

by Anonymousreply 19102/11/2012

Katharine McPhee does a bitching rendition of "Call Me" on tonight's episode and Will Chase (Debra Messing's new bf) does a hot version of "Grenade."

by Anonymousreply 19202/13/2012

[quote] Don't know why everyone's raving about the blonde 'rival'. She's a good singer, but way to porcine-like to play Monroe.

Honey that's Megan Hilty. She not only played Glinda in "Wicked" both on Broadway and in the LA production, she also played Doralee Rhodes in "9 to 5" in LA and on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 19302/13/2012

...not to mention that the actual Marilyn had measurements that more resembled Hilty's than McPhee's. She was a curvy woman, back when women were allowed to be over size 0.

by Anonymousreply 19402/13/2012

Uma Thurman's going to be way too tall to play Marilyn .

by Anonymousreply 19502/13/2012

Who else is watching episode 2 or would it be episode 1 since the first was the pilot tonight?

by Anonymousreply 19602/13/2012

R196, it's technically known as Episode #101. First season, first episode. I don't know why it isn't #1-01.

by Anonymousreply 19702/13/2012

I watched it.

I thought Ivy got the role of Marilyn?

Where does Uma Thurman's character come in?

by Anonymousreply 19802/13/2012

Ivy is playing Marilyn in the workshop. It means nothing as to who will play it when it goes to production.

by Anonymousreply 19902/13/2012

THanks r199. I thought it was announced by her friend at the nightclub at the end of the episode that Ivy landed the role of Marilyn in the actual show.

by Anonymousreply 20002/13/2012

Thanks for the info R197. Yeah it would make more sense your way.

The blond has a better voice but I wanted the dark haired girl to get the part.

It'll be sadder now for the blond if she gets the workshop but doesn't make it to B'way. If it was me I'd rather have not gotten either than have the hope of getting the workshop.

The letter Messing's character wrote made me tear up.

by Anonymousreply 20102/13/2012

Could someone go on TWOP and please correct the one on the SMASH thread (Drama section) who stated that Sutton Foster took over the lead in THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE from Kristin Chenoweth. It was Erin Dilly she took over from.

Sorry, I'd do it myself but those TWOP twats banned me for daring to express an opinion about a BIG BROTHER contestant last summer.

by Anonymousreply 20202/14/2012

Smash (8.1 million viewers, 2.8 adults 18-49 rating) was down 26 percent from last week’s premiere, yet still won the 10 p.m. hour. Smash‘s dip partly reflects a drop from its lead-in, The Voice (16.1 million, 5.9), which fell 12 percent from last week’s debut.

by Anonymousreply 20302/14/2012

Other sources are giving a different spin to the ratings decline:

Smash Ratings Suffer a Big Decline in Week Two

Most TV-industry insiders expected Monday's second episode of Smash to draw fewer viewers than last week's Super Bowl–pumped premiere. NBC, however, had hoped the drop wouldn't be quite so steep: Last night's hour averaged 8.1 million viewers at 10 p.m., finishing third behind Hawaii 5-0 and Castle, and declining more than 30 percent from last week's debut audience of 11.5 million....

by Anonymousreply 20402/14/2012

There will be a problem with some of them (probably the composer and Anjelica Huston) when they find out Ivy slept with the director before the callback. She'll be booted and McPhee will take her place. Then (and you can see where this is going already), someone (probably Debra Messing) will come up with the "brilliant" idea to have McPhee play Norma Jean and, when she transforms into Marilyn, it will be Ivy.

by Anonymousreply 20502/14/2012

I only saw most of episode one. Is there anything but 100 year-old showbiz cliches in this show?

by Anonymousreply 20602/15/2012

Nope, 206.

It's a shame. I really wanted to love this show.

But the shitty writing is making it impossible.

by Anonymousreply 20702/15/2012

r205 nails it. You can see this from a mile away.

by Anonymousreply 20802/15/2012

All the ancilliary plot points like Messing and husband and the baby drama and McPhee and her put upon boyfriend are just drags on the show. It needs subplots but please give us something we haven't seen nine million times before. That being said I do like the actual scenes of the construction of the musical and the production of the numbers. This show though may be too much of a niche for it to crossover into hit status and it may be too expensive for them to produce to hold out much hope for another season. It does seem that they are saving money at least on the lighting. Give me a flashlight.

by Anonymousreply 20902/15/2012

[quote]It needs subplots but please give us something we haven't seen nine million times before. That being said I do like the actual scenes of the construction of the musical and the production of the numbers.

I agree, the show works best when it is focusing on the construction of the musical and the numbers. The other sideplots are pretty much universally painful and terribly written.

The writing in general really needs to mature. This is supposed to be Glee for grown-ups but honestly Glee often has more sophisticated writing than this.

by Anonymousreply 21002/15/2012

American Idol and So You Think You Got Talent.... have been combined into SMASH.

Keeping the masses occupied with Reality TV!

(Ignore what is happening to your country Sheeple and keep watching more Reality TV shows please)

by Anonymousreply 21102/15/2012

I wanted to like this show, but the second episode was so boring I hardly have any memory of even watching it.

by Anonymousreply 21202/15/2012

I don't think this is boring at all. I agree the subplots especially the adoption one, need to go. Stat. In fact I thought that's where they were going but the hubby shows up and bam, adoption back on. Also, the scene with their grown son rang false, what would he care so much about adopting a baby? WTf? MEssing's house is off the charts BTW. How much $$ is she supposed to be making? Loved the musical numbers, McPhee was really good in the 20th Century foxtrot thingy. I could see all the numbers done so far in a real show.

by Anonymousreply 21302/15/2012

Much as I hate to join the "listen to my opinion! ... no, listen to MY opinion!" back-and-forth, I just want to say that I am so the target audience for this show, and I found it unwatchable (literally -- I couldn't keep watching it). If I won't watch it, I don't know who the F is going to keep watching it.

by Anonymousreply 21402/15/2012

I wouldn't say that the son is "grown," he's supposed to be 16 years old. Still, his "the little girl is waiting for us in China, what will happen to her?" shit was grating. I wanted to yell at him "Don't worry about her, some other rich American or European shithead couple will adopt her!"

by Anonymousreply 21502/15/2012

I agree with the last few posts, that scene with the teenage son going on about "you promised me a little brother or sister" and "what about the little girl in China waiting for us" was just preposterous and silly. Such high hopes for this show and I couldn't even make it through the second episode.

by Anonymousreply 21602/15/2012

r214 took the words right out of my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 21702/15/2012

I am so fuck you all.

by Anonymousreply 21802/15/2012

Smash will survive as long as it attracts the right demographics (18-49 year olds).

by Anonymousreply 21902/15/2012

[quote]I wanted to like this show, but the second episode was so boring I hardly have any memory of even watching it.

I agree and just don't get why the critics have given this show such a pass. I've been so completely disappointed in the first two episodes. Terrible writing, boring subplots, and sorry but I think McPhee is as bland as tap water; really do not get all of the praise about how "great!" and "terrific" and "what a revelation!" she is.

[quote]that scene with the teenage son going on about "you promised me a little brother or sister" and "what about the little girl in China waiting for us" was just preposterous and silly

And please, do not even get me started on this so-called subplot. No teenage boy -- most likely with pussy on the brain 24/7 -- is going to give a shit about his parents' efforts to adopt some kid from halfway around the globe. Give me a freaking break.

by Anonymousreply 22002/15/2012

If you want to watch something great about Musical Theater, forget this drivel and watch the web series, "Submissions Only." A million times better.

by Anonymousreply 22102/16/2012

SMASH will hopefully stick around a few years. It one of the few shows that isn't a procedural that employs people in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 22202/16/2012

[quote]This is supposed to be Glee for grown-ups...

It is?

by Anonymousreply 22302/16/2012

That letter Messing wrote to her as yet unadopted baby's mother was hokey as all hell. "She will be of two lands" "We will call your name upon the wind" WTF?

by Anonymousreply 22402/16/2012

That letter was beautiful R224 and showed that her character was a WRITER!!!

Ibwant to like it but the writing is heavy handed and it's all so earnest. It really is the GLEE of adult dramas. I wish it were sharper.

by Anonymousreply 22502/16/2012

Gee r205 I think I heard that whole Ivy/Katherine sharing the role thing somewhere before. . .

Hmmmmmm let me think. . . r174.

by Anonymousreply 22602/16/2012

Really R223? Glee is obviously written to a younger audience, I enjoy it, but the writing is obviously written towards the youth so I can understand why adults don't like it. (At least Glee can fall back on being the biggest show among teens)

Smash is supposed to be for a older tilting audience, but the writing is incredibly immature. These situations don't feel real, they feel like a very simplistic worldview. With the exception of Debra Messing and Angelica Huston, most of the characters feel like people reading from a script rather than real people.

Like many others have articulated in this thread, I want to like Smash, I loved the concept. But it doesn't feel like a good drama about the people who bring a Broadway show to life. It feels like a highschool production of that concept.

by Anonymousreply 22702/17/2012

A "Smash" fan's plea: please skip episode 3!

by Anonymousreply 22802/17/2012

by Anonymousreply 22902/17/2012

The assistant is STRAIGHT? Puh-leeze.

by Anonymousreply 23002/20/2012

Wow, no comments on last night's ep? Guess this show is really a dud.

by Anonymousreply 23102/21/2012

They really need to start giving Anjelica Huston more scenes because I am already over the McPhee/Hilty storylines. And the assistant with his "girlfriend" was just plain laughable.

by Anonymousreply 23202/21/2012

Enjoyed the first episode.

Hated the second one.

Skipped the third.

by Anonymousreply 23302/21/2012

As for NBC’s new musical drama Smash (6.5 million, 2.3), the show fell 18 percent and was overtaken by CBS’ Hawaii Five-0 (10.2 million, 2.8) in the 10 p.m. hour, perking up 4 percent this week. Smash has gone from a 3.8 premiere rating to 2.8 last week to last night’s 2.3 — not a fun trajectory for a network. ABC’s Castle (9.7 million, 2.1) — which has often won this time period — was in third place.

by Anonymousreply 23402/21/2012

It is rather sad this show is looking to be a bust. I wish it were better.

by Anonymousreply 23502/21/2012

I enjoyed last night's episode. The song "Mr and Mrs Smith" was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 23602/21/2012

I really liked Joe Dimaggio. Gifted actor. I could have done with the affair plot line. Only because all the looks between them were silly.

by Anonymousreply 23702/21/2012

[R237] here. Smacking forehead. I meant to say...

I could have done without

by Anonymousreply 23802/21/2012

Well I'm halfway through the third episode and I think it's going to be my last. Why do they keep focusing on the characters' duller than dull home lives? Who gives a shit about Will Chase and his baby or Katherine McPhee going home to Iowa (where else)?

And the Bruno Mars number was just silly.

by Anonymousreply 23902/21/2012

Not being renewed.

by Anonymousreply 24002/21/2012

R237, do you realize that Debra Messing left her husband in real life to be with Will Chase? Or is that what you meant?

by Anonymousreply 24102/21/2012

I want there to be a good show about life in the theater, that's filmed here in NYC and employs lots and lots of people.

Is that too much to ask?

by Anonymousreply 24202/21/2012

[R241] I didn't have a clue. Just didn't like the storyline.

So I just googled after reading your message, and geez. What a stupid thing for them to do. Writing real life relationships into storylines rarely seem to work. Especially illicet ones.

Trying to think when that has worked well?

by Anonymousreply 24302/21/2012

The acting is so Community Theater it makes Debra Messing seem like Venessa Redgrave.

And speaking of Debra, wardrobe dresses her like they are trying to cover a fattie.

by Anonymousreply 24402/21/2012

[quote]The assistant is STRAIGHT? Puh-leeze.

Read parts of an interview today with the actor who plays the assistant and apparently they made him straight to demonstrate to the audience how far this guy is willing to go to get what he wants -- i.e., a straight guy who'll let his gay boss ogle him and flirt with him if doing so will open other doors into the Broadway world he so covets. But given that the actor cast to play him does not give off the slightest straight vibe whatsoever, the "illusion" is just yet another thing in this show that doesn't really work.

by Anonymousreply 24502/21/2012

Smash = so fucking bad. Not fun, Showgirls bad, but 'bad' bad.

by Anonymousreply 24602/22/2012

I wish this show was.....more....of something. If it's a soap, I wish it was more over the top soapy. If it's a serious drama, I wish it was....less soapy. It just feels like they are still finding their footing, but since the ratings are tumbling so fast, I have a feeling they won't have a chance to find it.

by Anonymousreply 24702/22/2012

The twists in the plot are cringeworthy and so predictable. The acting way to patchy. That assistant is annoying me beyond belief. The son needs lessons as well.

So much of it feels staged like a play, and I am not talking about the Marilyn parts. That whole drink in your face is boring. The British director is too much of a caricature, and the British boyfriend too much of a perfection.

It's like a lot of great ideas on paper who need a better writer and a better director to make them come alive.

I like the music so far, with the exception of that Mr. and Mrs. Smith - not liking the actor much. And unless his wife is a trust fund baby, I cannot believe that any woman in New York with a baby and all the expenses that implies, will encourage a $200 a week job (and pray tell Mr. Smith, where do you think you will find a babysitter at $200 a week?)

Still, worth giving it a chance.

by Anonymousreply 24802/22/2012

Which character had a fling with a the cute chorus boy?

by Anonymousreply 24902/22/2012

Christian Borle manages to keep his dignity and play a human being even though the script keeps trying to make him into bitchy/sensitive gay best friend.

The show has all the faults of a Teresa Rebeck play--except it comes back every week.

by Anonymousreply 25002/22/2012

Debra Messing's latest chemical exploits are really showing up on her face. Look at her eye's in that revelatory scene with Borle in last week's episode. Her right eye is drooping and her face is bloated. I think the rumors of her problems are real.

by Anonymousreply 25102/22/2012

It's all so earnest. You can tell everyone thinks they're doing something REALLY important.

And what's that thing on top of the British director's head?

by Anonymousreply 25202/22/2012

What "problems" does Messing have? That's more interesting that this show.

by Anonymousreply 25302/22/2012

Isn't Messing alleged to be Coke Mom from some BIs?

She comes off as an insufferable cunt in this show. And as someone has mentioned she is being dressed in "artistic layers" which scream "hide the fattie".

I really did want to like this show as I really thought the idea was interesting but didn't have high hopes that NBC would handle it well.

The execution is poor.

by Anonymousreply 25402/22/2012

It's awful storytelling that it apparently never occurred to Ellis that maybe he could stake a claim for some $$$ down the road with his Marilyn idea. Not until his GIRLFRIEND brought it up. Or maybe it's bad casting because this guy can't play "innocent" for shit, he's all calculation all the time.

Teresa Rebeck always comes off as a cunt in interviews. I'd love to see her go a few rounds with secret fattie Debra Messing.

by Anonymousreply 25502/22/2012

So what exactly was the purpose of the FauxGaysian stealing secret heifer deb messing's notebook?

by Anonymousreply 25602/22/2012

The filming in New York probably doubles the budget. It's history.

by Anonymousreply 25702/22/2012

Rebeck is a raging cunt, with not even 10% of the talent necessary to much such personal antics tolerable...

by Anonymousreply 25802/22/2012

Are they dressing Messing in Lane Bryant?

by Anonymousreply 25902/22/2012

I confess to liking the first episode and now I'm ashamed. Anjelica is the only reason to watch it but they're making it hard for her. I suggest a drinking game everytime she chucks one in the face of her hubby - ridiculous. The assistant is the absolute worst - so totally lacking in credibility - his arse would be fired for taking such liberties. Messing is now a mess - are we supposed to like her? What's the trajectory here? I'm lost - it seems a bit random. Like the poster above - I'm no longer following what this actually IS.

by Anonymousreply 26002/22/2012

The assistant is, at the moment, the most ludicrous of very thin plot strands. I suggest:

Messing's character catches him doing something even worse like withdrawing her app to buy a baby from China - neatly taking that out of the tiresome equation.

He is fired and told to leave but is free to hatch his offscreen plot to appear in the last episode screaming he owns the idea and they will nevah stage it without him

The teenage son trots off to military school

The dueling divas in training get more screen time and real conflict.

Jack Davenport dials it down a LOT.

by Anonymousreply 26102/22/2012

The actor playing the faggoty yet straight assistant is so unappealing, I wouldn't fuck him with Bea Arthur's cock....

by Anonymousreply 26202/22/2012

Putting a show like this together and making it successful requires very specific skill sets. What I see when I watch SMASH is the hubris of Broadway folks presuming they have those skill sets simply because they work in the theatuh. It is like thinking that because you know how to build a car you can build an airplane.

by Anonymousreply 26302/22/2012

The assistant has ZERO sex appeal, which gives him only slightly less sex appeal than the rest of the cast.

A show like this has to have people the audience want to fuck or be fucked by.

The chick from American Idol has a nice voice and a pretty face, but it no actress. In the scenes with her mother and father, I felt as if they were meeting for the first time and had forgotten each others' names.

by Anonymousreply 26402/22/2012

Ellis should be murdered in a cliffhanger whodunit.

by Anonymousreply 26502/22/2012

Unfortunately, this show will not make it. And it was an uphill battle to begin with. Had it proceeded on Showtime it could have been grittier, more profane and perhaps, more true to life. But to comport with network standards and tell a credible story of the theater is tough to do.

The straightness of the assistant is the height of absurdity. If you remember, when Borle is ogling his assistant from afar, Messing whispers "he's straight." Then, in episode 3, we see him with his girlfriend. It would have been far more convincing to cast a sexually ambiguous guy, as opposed to a flamer like Jamie Cepero, who couldn't play straight or even faux straight to save himself. Couple that with an incredibly stupid plotline for the character and you've essentially provided the first of many shovels to dig the show's grave.

Also, I find Anjelica to be wasted, a caricature of herself.

by Anonymousreply 26602/22/2012

Part of the problem with the show is there's no one to identify with or root for. The closest thing they've got is McPhee's character, but she's almost cartoony with how wide eyed and innocent she is. Plus, she was so totally wrong for the part of Marilyn that it's hard to root for her to get the role over Ivy, who is clearly a MUCH better choice.

by Anonymousreply 26702/22/2012

Why is everyone so concerned with McPhee's financial situation when her boyfriend has a cushy government job?

by Anonymousreply 26802/22/2012

This show needs ME!

by Anonymousreply 26902/22/2012

Is there any more obvious cliche than the Brooklyn bridge?

by Anonymousreply 27002/22/2012

Messing is hard for me to believe doing drama. I just see Grace and expect a punchline.

by Anonymousreply 27102/23/2012

On what planet does dumpy little Megan Hilty look like Monroe? Oh, I guess cuz they're both blond, right?

by Anonymousreply 27202/23/2012

r272 I'm so glad you said that! I was thinking during the last ep she looks a bit like that Osborne pig and that is NEVAH a good comparison for anyone to make.

by Anonymousreply 27302/23/2012

OK, it's not a popular view here but I'm enjoying the show even if it's far from a masterpiece.

I agree about the assistant - he's flaming even from space. Very illogical plot for him and how he behaves.

I also don't like the porky girl who got the Marilyn part. Don't like anything about her.

Mcphee is a nice surprise. She's a fine singer and an OK actress.

by Anonymousreply 27402/23/2012

McPhee is actually doing really well and I am pleasantly surprised.

I do want to like the show - it has all the things I love. It's shot in NYC, uses real stage actors, has showtunes but it's just not quite gelling. Hope it gets it together.

by Anonymousreply 27502/23/2012

Agree with r275's opinions.

WHEN is Bernadette Peters going to appear as Hilty's mother??

by Anonymousreply 27602/23/2012

I think Bernie is on ep 4 (some people say ep 4 is the best episode yet)

by Anonymousreply 27702/24/2012

The guy who plays chorus boy Dennis, is cute.

by Anonymousreply 27902/24/2012

Why is everyone on the show having sex except the gays? And this is supposed to be Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 28002/24/2012

There was a scene in one of the previews for the season of Tom in bed with someone, so the gays will be getting some action too.

by Anonymousreply 28102/24/2012

Gays don't have sex on network television. That would freak out the straight viewers.

by Anonymousreply 28202/24/2012

WHERE does it have showtunes? All I've seen are these horrible American Idol-style pop songs.

In what universe was that LaMama - and since when would a number like that be performed there ???

by Anonymousreply 28302/24/2012

p.s. LaMama doesn't use Playbill.

by Anonymousreply 28402/24/2012

R283, it was shot at LaMaMa in early September. I know because I worked as a background actor aka extra in the audience that day. Earlier we shot a scene in which Eileen threw a drink in her husband's face.

by Anonymousreply 28502/24/2012

Maybe it was SHOT at LaMama - but it wasn't like anything that would be produced there. I hope LaMama got a decent chunk o change for that over-produced debacle.

by Anonymousreply 28602/24/2012

272 you are a gay man right? So I guess you are just naturally blind to Hilty's body eh? And if you are referring to her body when you say dumpy I'd have to think you've never really looked at Marilyn Monroe who was only 5'4" tall and shaped similarly to Hilti which is why Hilti works.

McP offends me because she is representative of the body type that is chosen for women over and over again these days. She's tall and lean. Totally opposite of Marilyn and why I have a difficult time seeing her as Marilyn. She looks nothing like her.

by Anonymousreply 28702/24/2012

[qoute]Marilyn Monroe who was only 5'4" tall

She was 5' 5.5".

by Anonymousreply 28802/24/2012

Regardless of the real-life Marilyn's stats, she wouldn't make it as a sex symbol today without being much thinner.

In fact there are a lot of women thinner that Marilyn was who are called cows and considered to be overweight today.

I'm guessing the writers are setting us up for Hilty's demise, since it's clear they want us to root for McPhee. Could they be any more blatant with the "Ivy's a whore/Karen's the good girl" juxtaposition?

Plus having Hilty be an overdone cartoon while and McPhee is a simple out-of-town girl with a dream.

They're using Hilty like a Joan Blondell: all the right elements, but they add up to second-rate.

by Anonymousreply 28902/24/2012

Rumor is Tom's in bed with the chorus boy who later spied for Megan Hilty to let her know how rehearsals were going with McPhee.

by Anonymousreply 29002/24/2012

r270, Brooklyn Bridge scene was probably green-screened at the studio in Greepoint where they do interiors.

by Anonymousreply 29102/24/2012

Question for background actors. Is "Smash" AFTRA or SAG?

by Anonymousreply 29202/24/2012

It's SAG, which makes it a more desirable show to work on because background actors want to make health insurance and pension credits through it and not AFTRA.

by Anonymousreply 29302/24/2012

I really hate the not gay assistant.

Not crazy about Angelica, either.

If this show continues it's ratings slide, I don't see it coming back next year.

Well, maybe if NBC gets really, really, desperate.

by Anonymousreply 29402/24/2012

Any dish on the actor playing Megan Hilty's friend (and Tom's potential bedmate)? Isn't his name Michael something?

by Anonymousreply 29502/24/2012

I can't wait for the promo for the final episode when this show is canceled.

"The recently canceled, NBC mega mess, SMASH......introducing Katherine McPhee."

The big problem I find is that all of these people are so damned ugly. Christian Borle, Debra Messing, Kat McPhee and Angelica Huston don't ooze sexuality.

Still, can't wait for Bernadette Peters guest shot later on in the season as Hilty's mom.

by Anonymousreply 29602/24/2012

Cancelled by episode six.

by Anonymousreply 29702/24/2012

No, R297. Uma Thurman's first appearance is in the 9th episode.

by Anonymousreply 29802/24/2012

Nick Jonas! Yum!

by Anonymousreply 29902/25/2012

r293, looks like we may not have a merger if these guys have their way.

by Anonymousreply 30002/25/2012

"The show has all the faults of a Teresa Rebeck play--except it comes back every week."

by Anonymousreply 30102/25/2012

"...background actor aka extra"

Thanks for clearing that up. Ugh.

Worst Rebeck line: "We have to translate it into Mandarin."

Oh, I can't read that, it's in Puerto Rican.

by Anonymousreply 30202/25/2012

[quote] The big problem I find is that all of these people are so damned ugly. Christian Borle, Debra Messing, Kat McPhee and Angelica Huston don't ooze sexuality.

I love this show! I like that not everyone on it is a barbie-doll, plastic hottie. I love Angelica Huston's character... you never really see smart, powerful women that age on tv.

by Anonymousreply 30302/25/2012

[quote]Angelica Huston's character... you never really see smart, powerful women that age on tv.

She's a cartoon character. The throw-a-drink-in-your-face-every-time-I-see-you gimmick is just silly and hardly implies functional, much less smart and powerful.

by Anonymousreply 30402/25/2012

And her husband miraculously showing up at every restaurant she goes to? Who writes these things?

by Anonymousreply 30502/25/2012

. . . not to mention positioning himself perfectly every time to catch the drink in his puss!

by Anonymousreply 30602/25/2012

Since we're talking about Broadway, a longtime producer died yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 30702/25/2012

Since we're talking about Broadway, the Shubert Theater needs to oil seat 14K and Girl Crazy closed in 1931 after 272 performances.

by Anonymousreply 30802/25/2012

In the episode rerunning tonight at 8:00, Denni, the chorus boy meets Tom in a restaurant and calls it a "date." Isn't Tom supposed to be straight?

by Anonymousreply 30902/25/2012

Agree with R304. If anything,Huston's interpretation of the character makes her seem like she has a quaalude addiction or isn't the sharpest pencil in the box. And the drink in the face was barely funny the first time, now it's just embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 31002/26/2012

No R309 Tom is gay, his assistant is straight.

by Anonymousreply 31102/26/2012

Wait, R311, let me correct that for you:

No R309 Tom is gay, his assistant is "straight."

by Anonymousreply 31202/26/2012

Entertainment Weekly is giving tomorrow's episode a grade of C.

Looks like more and more people are seeing the bad with the show.

by Anonymousreply 31302/26/2012

R302, what's your problem? Nothing? Then shut the fuck up. You should only wish you could be a fly on the wall of all the sets I've been one on for years.

R300, I don't want a merge and will vote No. There's already enough competition for jobs.

by Anonymousreply 31402/26/2012

What's with Spielberg throwing his name on any ole thing that comes out? Does he really need the money or recognition?

by Anonymousreply 31502/27/2012

I hope people don't give up on the show. Tonight's episode is the best one yet.

by Anonymousreply 31602/27/2012

I can't believe I'm writing this (because I've been very vocal in my disappointment in this show) but tonight's episode was really, really good. First one I've enjoyed since it started and that includes the pilot.

by Anonymousreply 31702/27/2012

I'll ask again: WHEN is Bernadette Peters going to appear on the show?

by Anonymousreply 31802/27/2012

I'm giving up. Can't stand McPhee. Watching her dance in the ensemble tonight was painful. She moves really stiffly and has no sexuality. It is laughable that they could have made a fuss over that character to play Marilyn. She is towers over most of the ensemble with her tall lean body which in not Marilyn like in anyway.

I haven't wanted to smack a character so bad since I first watched Grey's Anatomy. Only Meredith Grey was as irritating for me to watch as Katherine Carpenter.

by Anonymousreply 31902/27/2012

"tonight's episode was really, really good."

No, it wasn't. Not in the slightest.

by Anonymousreply 32002/27/2012

I feel exactly the same way, R319. Her character is an entitled brat and McPhee's talents no way match the way she is gushed about. I tuned out half-way into tonight's episode and deleted my season pass.

I was willing to overlook its unrealistic portrayal of Broadway, but I don't want to watch characters that don't behave like people and exist so far from any reality.

by Anonymousreply 32102/28/2012

R318 - ep 8/9

by Anonymousreply 32202/28/2012

It bums me out because after last weeks "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" I was looking forward to watching the show come together. That song was so charming and Hilti and her DiMaggio were wonderful together.

I wish they could pull this show out of the crapper but I doubt they will.

by Anonymousreply 32302/28/2012

I actually thought tonight's episode was quite good as well.

by Anonymousreply 32402/28/2012

thank u,r322.

by Anonymousreply 32502/28/2012

Tonight's episode got by because it was not written by Theresa Rebeck. David Marshall Grant wrote it and upon handing it it, there was a HUGE move by many involved to replace Terry with Davey. But Terry was a pit bull and put the kabash on that!

by Anonymousreply 32602/28/2012

Was Messing playing Grace Adler tonight?

I think so.

by Anonymousreply 32702/28/2012

So will Christian Borle have gay sex with the hot date he had tonight?

'cause that's the ONLY thing that will get me to tune in next week.

(that, and Ann Harada as the smart-ass stage manager).

Amazing how the Jonas Brother character knew the lyrics and guitar chords to a song he'd never heard before it was performed in front of him for the first time....

And Debra Messing singing? Puh-leeze, she couldn't sing on Will & Grace and she still can't.

and Anjelica Huston getting all teary over a pencil sketch? So much for her being a strong character....

by Anonymousreply 32802/28/2012

Well Wesley Taylor was playing karen walker so....

by Anonymousreply 32902/28/2012

R328, this one's for you...

by Anonymousreply 33002/28/2012

Worst dialogue and soap plot ever.

I'm glad the woman from Ohio found some sassy friends to make her one of the cool chorus kids. Because they felt sorry for her.

by Anonymousreply 33102/28/2012

Agree with everyone - best episode since the pilot.

And Nick Jonas. YUM.

by Anonymousreply 33202/28/2012

Never pay attention to the writing credit on an episode of TV. Almost all TV is written collaboratively and the name on the episode bears little relation to the work that went into it.

by Anonymousreply 33302/28/2012

Two gay characters added tonight. A gay bedroom scene and a bisexual reveal coming up.

by Anonymousreply 33402/28/2012

I thought tonight was the best episode yet, with actual inroads into how money can be risen for a show. And Ivy's subtle divadom reminds of about 10 girls I have worked with. The only thing that doesn't work for me is McPhee's dancing.

by Anonymousreply 33502/28/2012

Good lord, I meant raised for a show, not risen. It is too late for me!

by Anonymousreply 33602/28/2012

Thank goodness for your latest post, R336!

You had us going there.

by Anonymousreply 33702/28/2012

As a member of the collective, I bow my head in shame.

by Anonymousreply 33802/28/2012

What does the hot date see in Christian Borle's character?

Yay Mom, indeed

by Anonymousreply 33902/28/2012

Did Angelica throw a drink in her husband's face last night???

by Anonymousreply 34002/28/2012

LOL, No r340.

by Anonymousreply 34102/28/2012

[quote] Only Meredith Grey was as irritating for me to watch as Katherine Carpenter.

Who is Katherine Carpenter?

by Anonymousreply 34202/28/2012

Yes I agree about credits not relating to who wrote them in TV land.

BUt it is true that there was a move to get David as head writer

by Anonymousreply 34302/28/2012

Tom's assistant is straight when convenient; think "All About Eve."

Clanging false note: McPhee is asked where she takes class, and she asks what that means. Simply not possible for a working actor in NY, *especially* someone who's even auditioned for a musical.

by Anonymousreply 34402/28/2012

Ken Tucker of ET said ratings were up a bit from last week but still was 4th in time slot.

by Anonymousreply 34502/28/2012

BTW, Tucker suggested that the rise could have been due to one of the Jonas brothers appearing.

by Anonymousreply 34602/28/2012

McPhee needs to go.

Send her crying back to Ohio.

by Anonymousreply 34702/28/2012

What can I say, it was all right. The chorus kidz helping out the plucky Midwesterner was a definite false note. Plus how tired is it that when she is at home they call her "Broadway" and in NYC she's "Iowa"?

Did like seeing the rivalry. Still over Ellis. Nice eye candy with the boyfriend fix-up.

by Anonymousreply 34802/28/2012

This is what nbc publicity thought was happening in episode 4!

Karen finds a new use for her acting talents as she joins Dev at a high-powered government party. The drama between Michael and Julia heats up, as Eileen and Tom's ambitious assistant Ellis forge an alliance.

Hmmmm, guess not.

by Anonymousreply 34902/28/2012

I do like the concept for the show and I do like parts of the show, but I have to agree with the others that the show isn't wow in the least. Maybe it's McPhee... I'm not saying that she doesn't have talent but I do think she is a polarizing figure. I think this goes back to her idol days and many hate her (like Fantasia or Hudson) and will not look past his or her hate for her and associate her with the character. They will find any fault they can in her shortcomings.

by Anonymousreply 35002/28/2012

NBC said they'd keep the show so long as the audience didn't go below 4 million -- anyone know what the numbers were last night?

by Anonymousreply 35102/28/2012

I have no problem with McPhee, American Idol or not: she is stiff, a fish out of water, as the character should be. The closing number last night (was that Adele singing?) pulls her in. She represents the tv audience being initiated into Broadway theatre culture.

by Anonymousreply 35202/28/2012

Anybody else think Eileen's lawyer is actually working for Jerry? Maybe the Degas sketch shows what Eileen wanted to be like when she was young -- a lithe, delicate ballerina looking to the future, rather than a very tall, awkward girl who could only hope to be a producer, not a star herself.

by Anonymousreply 35302/28/2012

SMASH's ratings were up a bit last night.

by Anonymousreply 35402/28/2012

And, a small victory for fans of "Smash," the Broadway baby was up a bit over last week in the 10 p.m. hour with 6.9 million viewers, compared to 6.5 million the previous Monday. It was still slightly edged out of the 18-49 victory by "Hawaii Five-0."

by Anonymousreply 35502/28/2012

I've never seen her before SMASH and she's all wrong.

She has a beautiful voice and is a mediocre dancer, but she can't act.

I'm not sure what her gyrating in the dance number was supposed to do for the plot. It just shows she's limited in her ability to even dance for for the chorus. No tap or ballet in her background?

And she is not right for the part of Marilyn.I'd rather see one of the chorus boys do Marilyn in drag than McPhee's tall, bony body.

Hilty is gorgeous and extremely talented. She should be Marilyn.

by Anonymousreply 35602/28/2012

Entertainment Weekly wonders why Smash isn't a bigger hit:

by Anonymousreply 35702/28/2012

I thought last night's episode was better than the last 2. For me the weak link is Angelica Huston; the writing for her character is pretty bad and she doesn't usually elevate her material (except the funny snipe at the cater waitress at the party).

I don't really have an opinion on Katherine McPhee's dancing, but I think her acting is very good. I like her interaction with her cute boyfriend and I thought she was quite good in the parts about being cut from numbers & firing back at the bitchy chorus girls. Megan Hilty is great onstage but I think her mouth, her rear and her acting are all overbroad for t.v.

by Anonymousreply 35802/28/2012

I'd wager that Jonas caused the ratings bump. Do you think his young fans will stick around next week?

by Anonymousreply 35902/28/2012

They've written McPhee's lack of dancing ability into the show.

The show's characters have comments about how she can't dance, and they had a scene with the director working with her on her dancing.

by Anonymousreply 36002/28/2012

"How To Succeed's" ad agency should re-cut their new TV commercials. Maybe they can cut in some footage of Beau Bridges. Nick Jonas comes off as underwhelming -- seems unsure, has low energy level compared to Daniel Radcliffe.

by Anonymousreply 36102/28/2012

WTF is the appeal of Nick Jonas... he's not particularly good looking or talented. I didn't believe he was some kind of prodigy, found his scenes embarrassing to watch.

Nothing about last night's episode really rang true to me. Karen's "makeover" was absolutely ridiculous.

Karen's and Ivy's two different song/dance with backup performances at the end reminded me of how the Dick Van Dyke show would always find some excuse for Rob and Laura to sing and dance, even though Rob was just a show writer and Laura was his stay at home wife, with Buddy and Sally as backup singers/dancers.

Karen's British/Indian boyfriend is ridiculous too. It's hard to root for this poor little set-upon Broadway newbie from the innocent Midwest (Smash's writers seem to think it's still the same isolated cornfed I-oh-way of "State Fair," for god's sake) when she's shacking up with an indulgent high-level NYC government official in his luxurious digs.

I think the show made a mistake by making Ivy the recipient of the Marilyn role for the workshop. They should have given it to Karen. IMO that would have created a lot more tension among the characters and storyline potential.

But really, I'm finding the writing of this show just shockingly amateurish. I think most of the lead characters are just totally miscast and completely unable to breathe any real life into their terribly cliched characters. Instead they are embracing those cliches for all they're worth.

I'd like to see this show succeed but each week I see more and more wrong with it. Watching an actress of the caliber of Angelica Huston play second fiddle to the likes of a Jonas brother really depressed me.

by Anonymousreply 36202/28/2012

"I'd like to see this show succeed but each week I see more and more wrong with it. Watching an actress of the caliber of Angelica Huston play second fiddle to the likes of a Jonas brother really depressed me."

Isn't that the point? Derek is hosting the party precisely because this kid is a money machine, a huge TV star and terrific lead for Derek's next project. And pimping Ivy out to the kid wouldn't hurt the negotiations.

by Anonymousreply 36302/28/2012

The problem, r363, is that Nick Jonas is simply average looking, and his singing is simply average. He is less charismatic than any of the third string chorus boys. He was not the slightest bit believable as a huge TV star.

by Anonymousreply 36402/28/2012

I love this show.

by Anonymousreply 36502/28/2012

I love it too.

by Anonymousreply 36602/28/2012

Gone by June...

by Anonymousreply 36702/28/2012

Me loves it too.

by Anonymousreply 36802/28/2012

Finished after the 2nd episode. The writing is horrendous; Theresa Rebeck has no clue how one human being talks to another let alone how actors talk to one another. No one on that show has found a way to elevate the acting beyond the bad writing. The production numbers are great but the scenes in between are apalling.

by Anonymousreply 36902/29/2012

Speaking of writing, r369, the word is spelled "appalling".

by Anonymousreply 37002/29/2012

The ratings have been appalling.

by Anonymousreply 37102/29/2012

Actually, the ratings have improved (slightly).

by Anonymousreply 37202/29/2012

"Finished after the 2nd episode. The writing is horrendous; Theresa Rebeck has no clue how one human being talks to another let alone how actors talk to one another. No one on that show has found a way to elevate the acting beyond the bad writing. The production numbers are great but the scenes in between are apalling."

I don't know why you say that, I don't see anything wrong with the writing

by Anonymousreply 37302/29/2012

R364, you say NJ wasn't the slightest bit believable as a huge TV. star, but in fact, he is a huge star, with millions of young girls and boys who are enthralled with him.

That fact alone made him much more believable than some random cute kid with a few commercials under his belt would have been.

And R362, as to whether Karen should have been chosen to play Marilyn instead of Ivy, it seems obvious the writers are setting Ivy up for a fall. She's the character the audience will love to hate. Each week we're given a more unflattering glimpse into her character.

When she breaks her leg or whatever it is that will prevent her from performing, and Karen takes over at the last minute, the audience will love it.

I'm not in love with the show, and after the third episode I was almost ready to give up on it, but it's not even close to as bad as you're suggesting. Not that you should like it, necessarily, of course.

Oh, and about Anjelica Huston, I'm just glad to see her working, and would probably watch just for that alone.

by Anonymousreply 37402/29/2012

I see things same as you, R374.

by Anonymousreply 37502/29/2012

Yes, the ratings have improved (slightly). They are still appalling.

by Anonymousreply 37602/29/2012

Small ratings bump was due to Jonas, no doubt. The rating to watch is how well a show holds on to the numbers of its lead in. If I'm reading it right, SMASH lost more than half its audience from THE VOICE. There is no way to spin that though I'm sure they will try. The next important is the share, or where it lands against the competition. Let's put it this way, SMASH is in deep trouble.

It is too bad. It is a ripe area for a good TV series. I've heard from insiders that the real problem is lack of a strong show runner. Lot's of exec producers running around who have little or no experience in TV, or are the kind of exec producer who just gives notes then runs back to corporate headquarters. Again, too bad. How I wish the show had a strong voice and, more important, point of view. Now it just seems like some limply told inside joke.

by Anonymousreply 37702/29/2012

A strong show runner might help the product but I still believe that there is no mass audience for a dramical about the making of a Broadway show.

I do agree that for all the theatrical talent involved, they seem to know very little about what keeps audiences coming back week after week.

by Anonymousreply 37802/29/2012

r374, the trouble with your scenario of Ivy breaking her leg at the last minute and Karen saving the day is that initially, Ivy was the better received candidate among audiences.

Ivy had the right look, the talent, the hardscrabble experience, the "has paid her dues" factor, the unsupportive parent sympathy vote.

Ivy was set up to be the rootable character whose long-deserved immiment breakthrough was being threatened by wide-eyed newbie Karen, who never paid a due in her life. Karen whose loving supportive parents give her money and who unlike Ivy goes home every night after a rough day pouring coffee to a well-heeled, almost ludicrously supportive, boyfriend.

So what happened after the writers created such a rootable, interesting character in Ivy? They turn her into a vindictive bitch caricature, jealously sleeping with the director and trying to boot the always portrayed as so innocent, sympathetic, and deserving Karen from he show.

That's NOT how you tell a story people are going to want to keep tuning into.

by Anonymousreply 37902/29/2012

I only watch it to see how they try to disguise how fat Debra Messing has gotten.

by Anonymousreply 38002/29/2012

Seriously, on what planet is Nick Jonas a big enough star to bump up a TV show's ratings.

by Anonymousreply 38102/29/2012

R379, that's not how I saw the set up at all.

It seemed to me the characters were initially set up to show Ivy as a long-time chorus girl who would likely never become a star but was brought in to read for the role because she looked so much like Marilyn, even though the resemblance was mostly hair bleach, make-up, big tits and fat.

And Karen was the underdog, a sweet and talented girl from a post-card image farmhouse who wants to make it on her own talent and pay her own way.

More importantly, Karen wouldn't fuck the director for the gig, making Ivy look like a whore when she did it.

I don't expect you to see things from my perspective, but your view is not the only credible one.

It seemed obvious to me from the first episode that Ivy was intended to be an unsympathetic character, and she would not ultimately be the star of the show.

BTW, I was never a fan of K McP, but I do believe the writers intended from the beginning for her to be the protagonist of this series and the ultimate star of "Marilyn."

Whether the show succeeds is a different question, but I don't believe it's because the writers changed their minds about the story arc.

by Anonymousreply 38202/29/2012

It's interesting how the gay chorus boys (Dennis and Bobby) are portayed as bitchy, backstabbing queens, while the straight chorus guy is shown to be warm-hearted and supportive of both Ivy and Karen.

by Anonymousreply 38302/29/2012

Does Deb have a thyroid problem?

by Anonymousreply 38402/29/2012

One of the gay chorus boys came around in Monday's episode, R383, when he joined the intervention and performed with her later.

It will be interesting to see how his new friendship with Karen will play with his best pal Ivy.

by Anonymousreply 38502/29/2012

Will we see Bernadette before the show's cancelled?

by Anonymousreply 38602/29/2012

r383, as I reminded "Marilyn" there is no chorus, it's the Ensemble.

by Anonymousreply 38702/29/2012

R378,I agree on one point, not on the other. The reason the people involved in SMASH don't know how to keep people coming back every week is that they are almost all from the theater where they don't have to. They just need to entertain them once. A successful TV series requires a specific skill set that a lot of people don't understand. SMASH feels like there is a bit of theater hubris going on, a looking down at the medium of TV even as they try to succeed in it.

I don't agree that there's no audience for a backstage musical TV show. That's like saying there is no audience for a series in an English manor house or about New York Taxi drivers. The setting doesn't ultimately matter unless it hog ties stories. What matters is great writing, great characters, and interesting relationships. Setting is way down on the list of things that make or break a series.

by Anonymousreply 38802/29/2012

Who plays the straight Ensemble) boy?

by Anonymousreply 38902/29/2012

The Broadway musical has become a regional event. It also has the image of being gay. The crossover audience isn't there, especially with the approach of musical numbers within the story.

It would have worked for Showtime but not NBC.

by Anonymousreply 39002/29/2012

I think some posters here are confusing the bitchy but hot ensemble boy who's after Christian Borle's character with the dark haired ensemble boy who helped with Karen's "intervention." The hot ensemble boy is fun to look at but the dark-haired one is unusually appealing and believable. He could have come off as super-obnoxious but he doesn't. I also liked the short blonde ensemble girl and the black ensemble boy, too. The black ensemble girl hasn't had enough to do yet to register.

I hated DM joining in singing that number at the party. And putting her in that faux fur wrap which blended with her hair color was a bad mistake.

by Anonymousreply 39102/29/2012

Dennis the Ensemble boy, met Borle at the Cloister Cafe.

by Anonymousreply 39202/29/2012

They need Patti Lupone.

by Anonymousreply 39302/29/2012

They needed to cast someone like Lea Michelle as Karen. It would be easier to believe that someone like that would be considered along with Hilti for the Marilyn role.

I wonder if the My Fair Lady that Angelica's estranged husband is putting up will factor into things at all?

by Anonymousreply 39402/29/2012

There seem to be some inside jokes in this script. And Jordan Roth playing himself (last week, I think?) added to the fun. Is the "My Fair Lady" thread referring to the revival that was being talked about until the 9/08 crash? Kelli O'Hara was up for Eliza, but got pregnant right after the market fell.

by Anonymousreply 39502/29/2012

They need to dump pop princess McPhee. She's awful.

by Anonymousreply 39602/29/2012

On r396's comment -- anyone here know if they can actually do that? Isn't this show packaged by her agents? Couldn't they just have her give up and move to DC with her boyfriend when he (inevitably) gets a Capitol Hill job?

by Anonymousreply 39702/29/2012

[quote]They needed to cast someone like Lea Michelle as Karen.

Lea Michelle is ugly and repellent. I don't love McPhee, but I wouldn't watch at all if it were LM.

by Anonymousreply 39802/29/2012

I don't need to see a shirtless Christian Borle which we see in next weeks episode. Series of snapshots from next week on Playbill.

by Anonymousreply 39902/29/2012

No one needs to see that, R399. What the hell are they thinking?

by Anonymousreply 40002/29/2012

The only thing that will get me to watch the show again is if Ivy Lyn gets an STD...

by Anonymousreply 40102/29/2012

AfterElton interviewed Phillip Spaeth (Dennis).

by Anonymousreply 40203/01/2012

Google images of Phillip when he was in Wicked and you can see that he really had his nose thinned.

by Anonymousreply 40303/01/2012

Who are the other guys (characters or real names) in group photo?

by Anonymousreply 40403/01/2012

I don't get all the vitriol for McPhee. She's fine. You drama queens overreact.

by Anonymousreply 40503/01/2012

R405, sweetheart, don't insult the drama queens. That's the only audience this POS has.

by Anonymousreply 40603/01/2012

It's terrible and is three seconds away from cancelation.

by Anonymousreply 40703/01/2012

And the people at the top with lots of TV experience (Teresa Rebeck) do not have the skill to write a believable scene.

If you want to read a great whiny lets-get-back-at-them memoir try Free Fire Zone by Teresa Rebeck. She does not name names, but makes it very clear who in television and theater she is bashing at every turn.

She really seems to believe that she is a great writer and that the only reason anyone criticizes her is out of jealousy or stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 40803/01/2012

So I hear that NBC's taking out the trash soon.

by Anonymousreply 40903/01/2012

Rebeck came across as a total cunt on Theater Talk a few weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 41003/01/2012

If you think that's bad, r400, you should see the rest of him!

by Anonymousreply 41103/01/2012

The "real-life inspirations" for main characters ...

by Anonymousreply 41203/03/2012

It's weird to see the title SMASH, because in popular youth culture to smash means to fuck.

by Anonymousreply 41303/04/2012

r407 -- NBC just announced they're likely to renew "Smash" for at least a second season.

by Anonymousreply 41403/05/2012

The last episode with Nick Jonas wasn't as bad as the previous. It's so much better when they concentrate on the show. Please, no more Deb Messing side stories. McPhee is okay but a tad too vanilla to believe she would be a star. She is far to thin, tall and rangey to ever be cast as Marilyn though, that is a serious stretch.

by Anonymousreply 41503/05/2012

Note to producers.

"Glee" is not a role model.

Check out "The Black Swan." There's your model.

by Anonymousreply 41603/05/2012

Is anybody watching tonight's episode?

I think it's much better than last week's. It's actually really holding my interest, even the kid-getting-arrested subplot.

by Anonymousreply 41703/05/2012

Rewriting the lyrics to "A Song For You?"

I hope the producers are mentally retarded. Otherwise, they have no excuse.

by Anonymousreply 41803/05/2012

That final scene between Michael and Julia was genuinely uncomfortable to watch considering the exact same thing was happening at the time between Messing and Chase.

The guy who plays Karen's bf has obviously had his chest shaved-he sure had a mini-forest there when he was on a British soap called MISTRESSES a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 41903/05/2012

Will Chase's character is making a fool of himself as is Will Chase by playing him. And I love Will.

McPhee with her broad shoulders and plain face needs to go. She'll end up sleeping with the director and getting the part of Marilyn.

R360, you just proved my point that McPhee is too untalented to be on this show.

I can't wait to see Bernadette. I wish they would show more show numbers. And I like Debra Messing here. She looks better with the weight.

by Anonymousreply 42103/06/2012

Ivy is smoking hot and I love the scenes from the musical.

I thought McPhee was the idol contestant that was openly lesbian. Or was it someone that just looked like her. Tall and slim with dark hair?

by Anonymousreply 42203/06/2012

The NY Post said Kristen Chenoweth was an inspiration for the character of Ivy?

I thought that was so insulting - especially considering the fact that the character of Ivy beds the director and is just not a friendly team player, whereas Kristen is hugely talented and so sweet!

by Anonymousreply 42303/06/2012

Just finished watching tonight's episode, I LOVED IT! "Let's Be Bad" was a really great number. The song, the staging, the performances. Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 42403/06/2012

Who is the showrunner for SMASH?

Also- how do you think this show will do at the Emmys?

And what happened to Brian DArcy James? He is credited at the top of the show and is in the print ads. Where is he? Didn't test well?

by Anonymousreply 42503/06/2012

Who's the hottie playing Christian Borle's lawyer bf? He looks hot in a suit and has a great body underneath. That bed scene was nice eye candy.

by Anonymousreply 42603/06/2012

I really think the show is getting stronger every week.I love that the supposedly straight chorus boy is actually gay, and the general atmosphere is getting much more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 42703/06/2012

This show has issues, but it's the first time I can recognize gay men on TV who remind me of gay men I know in real life, and are not spit-polished suburban bores or cast-offs from a ballroom drag show. I identified with the date. I identified with the post-sex chat. It felt real. It felt entertaining. It felt non-caricature. I was really impressed.

I thought things picked up this week and I was really engrossed. But -- um -- weak link? La McPhee. The scenes she "carried" were entirely skippable. She's no star. Hilty is out-wattaging her like crazy.

by Anonymousreply 42803/06/2012

I love Katherine McPhee. She's movie star beautiful and can act and sing.

by Anonymousreply 42903/06/2012

Who wrote last night's episode?

by Anonymousreply 43003/06/2012

I wish the show didn't do quite so much contemporary music. I understand why they do it, and I have to say Katharine McPhee *KILLED* "Rumour Has It" a few weeks ago. But the thing is, a lot of the original numbers they've written are really good, and I wish they focused on them more.

I also don't get why everyone is kowtowing to Ivy's diva behavior. If she was Patti LuPone or Bernadette Peters, I might get that, but she's a chorus girl who lucked her way into her first starring role. I certainly understand why Ivy feels threatened by Karen--Karen is clearly the more talented--but aside from Derek, who is feeling the power of her vadge and Tom who was willing to give her the part from the word go, anyone with a brain would be able to see that all Ivy has going for her is the physical resemblance.

Also, Tom needs to dump the lawyer and get back with the cute chorus boy. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 43103/06/2012

I think they're setting up a Tom-black chorus boy thing

by Anonymousreply 43203/06/2012

Ratings were up 17% from last week.

Speculation is repeats on the other networks helped it.

by Anonymousreply 43303/06/2012

Ivy's body moles are unsettling.

by Anonymousreply 43403/06/2012

[quote]Who wrote last night's episode?

It was credited to Brothers and Sisters producer David Marshall Grant.

by Anonymousreply 43503/06/2012

They didn't re-write "A Song For You" -- they cut a line here and there in the editing process to amp up the scene's energy.

by Anonymousreply 43603/06/2012

Yes, repeats helped it, but the fact that the audience went to Smash is huge, especially since last night was clearly the best episode thus far. That shoulD get more people to stick with the show. This is great news for Smash. I, so happy for them.

by Anonymousreply 43703/06/2012

I *loved* the sleazy DC would-be press secretary thinking it would be classy to seduce Karen by offering her room service. Priceless. And *so* true!

by Anonymousreply 43803/06/2012

Anyone else notice Julia's neanderthal son telling Tom that he was arrested and Tom saying "sit tight, I'm on my way," then hanging up without finding out where he was?

by Anonymousreply 43903/06/2012

The audience the "went to Smash" are the folks watching The Voice. And more than half of that audience doesn't stick around.

That said, it's still good that Smash is holding on to somewhat decent ratings. The key will be when DWTS returns and The Voice loses some of its audience. Smash must be a very expensive show to produce.

Anyone here know if NBC is making money on the show?

by Anonymousreply 44003/06/2012

R419- He was also on a couple of seasons of MI-5. I forgot he was on MISTRESSES,

by Anonymousreply 44103/06/2012

OK so season one is about the workshop. So if this does make it to season two, will it be about bringing the show to Broadway?

If SMASU has a third season, which I doubt, will it be about Marilyn, the national tour? followed by the bus and truck?

by Anonymousreply 44203/06/2012

Maybe it will be about the NEXT show these creatures put together.

by Anonymousreply 44303/06/2012

R442 - different show for season 2, will go through the process of another show

by Anonymousreply 44403/06/2012

Not true, R444, although I wish it WAS that.

The first season will end with the out-of-town tryout in Boston, which they're shooting now. Next season would see the show open on Broadway and then the aftermath.

by Anonymousreply 44503/06/2012

since Megan Hilty is off the show next year (she'll be on Bway in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes) we know she doesn't get the part.

It's odd that the show allowed that info to get out.

by Anonymousreply 44603/06/2012

ok, then they must have changed the direction, because that's what they said in the beginning

by Anonymousreply 44703/06/2012

Agree Karen clearly more talented. Megan Hilty is talented, but has a face for Broadway, not television. Bernadette's coming soon!! (and will be mean to Ivy, thus engendering sympathy for the girl.)

by Anonymousreply 44803/06/2012

Karen more talented? Ha, ha, ha.

by Anonymousreply 44903/06/2012

Hilty is a far better actress and dancer than McPhee and looks more like Monroe. I like McPhee and she is pretty but Ivy is a more compelling character. Hilty is just doing a week at Encores in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes so it won't impact her role on Smash.

by Anonymousreply 45103/06/2012

Deb Messing had an abortion two months ago. The father was her costar.

by Anonymousreply 45203/06/2012

[quote]Deb Messing had an abortion two months ago. The father was her costar.

I think she's still in the middle of that abortion.

by Anonymousreply 45303/06/2012

Hilty is repellent to me. Blousy. And not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 45403/06/2012

R451, McPhee is a very limited actress, but Hilty is not a "far better actress" than ANYONE.

by Anonymousreply 45503/07/2012

I hope next season's musical includes a rivalry for two MEN for the lead role, and it's between Jonathan Groff and Gavin Creel (with Bobby Steggert caught in between them, and "mentoring" from Raul Esparza and Cheyenne Jackson).

Let's put the Gay back in the Gay White Way! Give the folks in flyover country a look at the REAL Broadway!

by Anonymousreply 45603/07/2012

R446 Hilty's gig in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is for Encores, which is about a 3 week commitment and is over May 13. No need for her not to be on the show next year.

by Anonymousreply 45703/07/2012

But won't they be telling a different story next year? Another musical? Huston, Messing, Borle back - but would McPhee or Hilty or Jack Davenport necessarily come back?

by Anonymousreply 45803/07/2012

I like HIlty, but she doesn't really steal the show in this. You kind of understand why the audition process went on for so long.

And r456, I hadn't really thought about it till you mentioned it, but this is a very un-gay storyline for a show that's supposed to be the inside story on Broadway musicals. They DEFINITELY need to get the gay back next season.

by Anonymousreply 45903/07/2012

The show is growing on me each week as the characters start to get some depth to them. Some of the plot points I wish would go away like Deb Messing's family drama but all in all they are pulling it together. And on one particular fetishistic point the predominance of men in suits is a real selling point for me.

by Anonymousreply 46003/07/2012

R458 someone on the SMASH thread said that this season will end as they try out in Boston, and next season will show their Broadway run, which s different from what the producers said in the beginning.

Your idea sounds better.

by Anonymousreply 46103/07/2012

R446- Isn't she doing Blondes for Encores? Now unless that show is so good it does transfer..

they've said that about every Encores since Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 46203/07/2012

Will Chase is repellent to me.

by Anonymousreply 46303/07/2012

[quote]The show's characters have comments about how she can't dance, and they had a scene with the director working with her on her dancing.

Not sure if someone's already posted this link but here's an article in the NYT recently on the show's cute choreographer (who also often appears on-camera during the rehearsal scenes):

by Anonymousreply 46403/08/2012

sounds like BergASSe was whoring his tail out to anyone with connections--and it paid off for him. God bless that trashy ho.

by Anonymousreply 46503/08/2012

Tonight's episode was a mess.

by Anonymousreply 46603/12/2012

I'm enjoying it, but, yeah, tonight's episode: zero dollars and no sense, especially the ghost of Marilyn Monroe (who looked like a small-town drag queen) and McPhee's ridiculous bar mitzvah performance.

by Anonymousreply 46703/12/2012

Despite the episode being the weakest yet, I think I'm going to love it. Wasn't that the delicious Thorsten Kaye at the very end? Good to see him getting work.

by Anonymousreply 46803/13/2012

That wasn't Marilyn in the mirror - it was Kat McPhee's character in Marilyn drag. Paranoid hallucination for Ivy.

Yup, Thorsten Kaye will be Anjelica Huston's love interest for a few eps starting next week.

So will Borle's character drop the hot lawyer for the black straight-acting chorine? WRONG CHOICE, REBECK.

I see David Marshall Grant has become an executive producer as well - let's hope his writing is better than Rebeck's.

Next week, BERNADETTE (looking like SHIT in the preview, BTW....) and Miss Riedel appears.

by Anonymousreply 46903/13/2012

Surely I can't be the only person commenting on Deb Messing's body double.

They weren't even subtle about it.

by Anonymousreply 47003/13/2012

Last niight's episode was AWFUL. What the fuck was that music video thing in Ivy's bedroom? Julia and Michael in the rehearsal hall... embarrassing. Eileen slumming it at the Bushwhack...cringeworthy. The bar mitzvah crowd suddenly grooving to Karen's warbling...cliched. Rebeck's plotting totally sucks.

A friend of mine worked as an extra yesterday as an audience member in the Boston try-out sequences. He told me that Season 1 wraps shooting next week.

And the name of the Marilyn musical will be... BOMBSHELL.

by Anonymousreply 47103/13/2012

I'm so glad I gave up watching this train wreck after episode 2.

by Anonymousreply 47203/13/2012

Anjelica Huston's Botoxed face always makes me smile.

by Anonymousreply 47303/13/2012

NBC landed on top on a Monday night filled with repeats, earning an overall 4.2 rating/11 share in the 18-49 demo, according to Nielsen overnight numbers. The Voice slipped 18% from last week to a 5.1, followed by Smash, which was down 11% to a 2.4.

by Anonymousreply 47403/13/2012

So how many more episodes until someone calls her Poison Ivy. I thought it might have happened this week, but it must be coming soon.

by Anonymousreply 47503/13/2012

Come on, you don't think those might be the first words out of Bernadette's mouth?

by Anonymousreply 47603/13/2012

R472, so did I. This show is a DOG. And Katharine McPhee was a MISTAKE. Her acting - if you want to call it that - is lifeless.

by Anonymousreply 47703/13/2012

How much ya wanna bet they'll have Bernadette do "Rose's Turn" from GYPSY? Camera pans across chorus boys' cum-stained crotches.

by Anonymousreply 47803/13/2012

Actually, R478, Bernie will do "Rose's Turn" next week. She plays Ivy's mother.

and I thought last night's episode had traces of camp

by Anonymousreply 47903/13/2012

[quote]And the name of the Marilyn musical will be... BOMBSHELL.

They're half right.

by Anonymousreply 48003/13/2012

Well,perhaps I have no taste, but I love it! I actually loved last night's episode, especially with the gays cuddling with Ivy - that is very true to life.

by Anonymousreply 48103/13/2012

I really wanted to see more music last night. I think the original numbers are excellent and the main reason I watch. The country western number at the Bar Mitzvah was ridiculous.

Will Chase's character is more of a creepy stalker than long-lover. I think Debra Messing is doing a good job with the plot they've given her.

by Anonymousreply 48203/13/2012

"Will Chase is repellent to me.

by: fangirl Catherine Skidmarks"

That joke is more inside than Katie Couric's colonoscopy.

I love you r463

by Anonymousreply 48303/13/2012

I love you too R483. What wonderful days we had on that other board.

by Anonymousreply 48403/13/2012

Hey, I was on RATM, too :)

by Anonymousreply 48503/13/2012

Rosie loves SMASH.

That's all

by Anonymousreply 48603/14/2012

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Rosie was a guest on SMASH - just in time for the season (series) finale ('cause it ain't getting renewed!)

by Anonymousreply 48703/14/2012

What, no comments on Deb Messing showing up in the middle of the night in a XXL satin pajama top all the way from Brooklyn Heights?

She must be a nightmare to costume. And those hair extensions!

And I understand there is now a weekly budget for CGI on Anjelica's nose.

by Anonymousreply 48803/14/2012

Cute chorus boy Dennis was nowhere to be seen in this week's episode. I hope he comes back.

by Anonymousreply 48903/14/2012

Angelica Huston is not attractive at all anymore and her acting is horrendous. She makes a fabulous drag queen however.

The McPhee girl needs to go. She makes all the other painfully unwatchable things about the show more painfully unwatchable knowing at some point she will appear.

by Anonymousreply 49003/14/2012

This show isn't even a hot mess anyore. Its just a MESS!!

Anjelica Huston was literally in a dive bar shooting animals in a video arcade game in the last episode. Oscar winner Anjelica Huston!!

I think it is beyone laughable that Will Chase would lose sleep over Debra Messing. Yes, I know they are dating in real life now, but seriously? We are to assume that he can't think of anyone but her on this show?

Kat McPhee is ridiculous.

Megan Hilty is quite good though. I usually like her scenes.

Christian Borle has a face for radio. Why is he fucking up things with his cute lawyer?? Like he would ever date anyone that attractive in real life. His real-life GF was Sutton (horseface) Foster for god's sake!

by Anonymousreply 49103/14/2012

[quote]Christian Borle has a face for radio. Why is he fucking up things with his cute lawyer?? Like he would ever date anyone that attractive in real life. His real-life GF was Sutton (horseface) Foster for god's sake!

Actually he was married to Sutton but had an affair with his LEGALLY BLONDE co-star, Laura Bell Bundy.

by Anonymousreply 49203/14/2012

[quote]Cute chorus boy Dennis was nowhere to be seen in this week's episode. I hope he comes back.

Per Phillip Spaeth's FB fan page, he posted a gift basket from the cast welcoming him back and a speedy recovery. I think he was out for a medical reason for a few episodes.

by Anonymousreply 49303/14/2012

Christian Borle is straight???? Wow; could have fooled me. A better actor than I thought (one of my favorite characters on "Smash".

by Anonymousreply 49403/14/2012

[quote] Pilots are always kinda boring

Oh yeah?

The opening sequence of the pilot for Breaking Bad.

Four minutes long.

by Anonymousreply 49503/14/2012

Christian Borle really does have an unfortunate face. It just doesn't wear well for a network series. If I was a network exec I'd push for him not to be cast. I might have made him British, too, and give him a secret past with Derek.

I am hoping against hope that the only reason Eileen is allowing Ellis into her life is to keep him under control and prevent him from suing her for royalties down the line.

by Anonymousreply 49603/14/2012

TV By the Numbers says SMASH's renewal is a done deal.

by Anonymousreply 49703/14/2012

496 -- Eileen is dealing with Ellis because she can't afford an assistant and needs someone to run her life infrastructure. She also needs a friend to literally take her out and see the world -- apparently she's spent her middle years supporting Jerry to the exclusion of all else. How dippy are the Marilyn show's writers, that they don't notice their assistant is working for their producer now?

by Anonymousreply 49803/14/2012

And they are almost done with the season finale. Nick Jonas reprises his role. LuPone and Angela Lansbury will be in the finale

by Anonymousreply 49903/14/2012

[quote]Angela Lansbury will be in the finale

Oh oh this must mean someone will be murdered!!!!

by Anonymousreply 50003/14/2012

LOL R500- hopefully, it will be McPhee.

by Anonymousreply 50103/14/2012

Oh, *gad*, they're bringing Nick Jonas *back*? Everyone else here is complaining about McPhee, but I just don't want to see that noodle Jonas again. Meh.

by Anonymousreply 50203/14/2012

Philip had bad food poisoning from a corned beef sandwich

by Anonymousreply 50303/14/2012

Really, R 503? From what deli, do you know? (if I'm being dense, I apologize.)

R497, thank you for posting! I am so excited; I fucking LOVE this show; have been watching each episode via On Demand about 3-4 times (ah, the "privilege", ha-ha, of being unemployed: way too much time on one's hands...)

And, is is just me, or are some of the songs really great?! For example, I can't get "History is made at Night" or whatever the exact title it is,out of my mind; also really love the"I Never Met a Wolf who didn't like to Howl" (or whatever it is) - I would totally actually love to see this show on stage!

by Anonymousreply 50403/14/2012

R504 - from a diner :)

by Anonymousreply 50503/14/2012

I wonder if BOMBSHELL will have an overture.

Rosie is sitting in for the dreadful Piers tomorrow night on CNN and Angelica Huston will be one of her guests-she loves SMASH.

by Anonymousreply 50603/14/2012

Uma Thurman's doing a 3-ep arc this season as a "star" who comes in to take over the leading role - which means both Hilty and McPhee are OUT!

Of course, as we saw in the "Producers" movie, Uma is a triple threat: can't sing, can't dance, can't act, so one of the 2 ingenues (sadly, probably McPhee) will end up as Marilyn in time for the season finale.

And Bernadette next week sings "Everything's Coming Up Roses", she said on the local NBC news chat show today. I bet that's chapping LuPone's ass something fierce!

by Anonymousreply 50703/15/2012

The assistant Ellis is cozying up to Eileen and neither Deb Messing or Christian Borle notice?!? How bizarre.

Makes as much sense as Ellis being straight.

Or was Ellis fired and they forgot to include that scene?.

by Anonymousreply 50803/15/2012

Peters will sing "Memory" as she thinks about her character's showbiz past. No word if the rumor about her costumed as Grizabella for the scene is true.

by Anonymousreply 50903/15/2012

What happened to the chorus boy who wanted to date Christian Borle's character? Why was that scene included?

by Anonymousreply 51003/15/2012

Phillip Spaeth (Dennis) is featured in the March 23rd issue of Soap Opera Weekly. With fewer soaps they're promoing prime time shows.

by Anonymousreply 51103/15/2012

R510, I'm not Miss Cleo, but it seems to be a predictable plot turn that Tom will have to choose between his handsome lawyer and the, er, um, athletically inclined (read: fuck-your-lights-out) sports-fan black chorus boy.

(How irritating that doesn't include a full cast list I can find, which would tell me both the character's and actor's name, so I don't have to refer to him as the black one.)

by Anonymousreply 51203/15/2012

R507 - don't you worry, LuPone will have plenty to say when she is on the finale.

by Anonymousreply 51303/15/2012

R512 the character's name is Sam Strickland, and the actor is Leslie Odom, Jr.

by Anonymousreply 51403/15/2012

Thanks, R514. I knew I'd heard Sam, but I get the ensemble boys' and girls' names confused.

by Anonymousreply 51503/15/2012

BTW, if anyone doubts McPhee is the star of this show and Hilty is being set up for a fall, look at the primary photo at the link.

by Anonymousreply 51603/15/2012

Katherine McPhee. Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 51703/15/2012

Why is anyone watching this terrible show? NBC is royally fucked. Every one hour drama they make is derivative, unwatchable shit.

by Anonymousreply 51803/15/2012

really [r504]it's not all that. Try getting laid if you have all that time on your hands.

by Anonymousreply 51903/15/2012

Yes, r518, Smash and Awake are SO derivative. CBS is the home of innovation. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 52003/15/2012

R507, she's in more than 3 episodes this season-more like 5. And she is in the season finale they're finishing up now.

by Anonymousreply 52103/15/2012

Agree with 508 - is anyone with the show paying attention to continuity??

And something I thought was a bit off: back to the episode with Nick Jonas, where cast and a few others join in the "Wolf/Howl" number, I thought there should have been some worth of reaction; at least a luck, when Ellis ended up dancing in the number AND next to Julia, given her animosity toward him; hello??!!

by Anonymousreply 52203/15/2012

There's so much wrong with the picture linked by R516.

by Anonymousreply 52303/15/2012

:And something I thought was a bit off: back to the episode with Nick Jonas, where cast and a few others join in the "Wolf/Howl" number, I thought there should have been some worth of reaction; at least a luck, when Ellis ended up dancing in the number AND next to Julia, given her animosity toward him; hello??!!::

So SMASH is being shown in non-English speaking markets?

by Anonymousreply 52403/15/2012

I understand, r512, but the chorus boy who wanted to date Borle was not black; he was some other guy. Was it just supposed to show that Borle is hot?

by Anonymousreply 52503/15/2012

[quote]And Bernadette next week sings "Everything's Coming Up Roses",

by Anonymousreply 52603/15/2012

I am pretty shocked McPhee was basically plucked from AI obscurity and is now the star of the show? Who does she know? She is not bad, but there has got to be someone better out there and more Monroe like.

by Anonymousreply 52703/15/2012

I really like this show, it is definitely entertaining.

Messing does have a horrible profile..

by Anonymousreply 52803/15/2012

Not "Everything's Coming Up Roses," it's "Rose's Turn," there's a difference.

by Anonymousreply 52903/15/2012

Sorry R529, she sings Everything's Coming Up Roses

by Anonymousreply 53003/16/2012

McPhee's mother, Peisha, is and has been for years a well-known vocal coach in NYC. Lots of Broadway singers have worked with her, and Kat grew up around Broadway.

Which actually makes it doubly odd that Kat would lack that spark that so many real Broadway performers (like Megan Hilty) have in abundance.

by Anonymousreply 53103/16/2012

Which is why, r531, McPhee was slated to win her season of "American Idol," and why Simon was excessively incensed at the way Taylor Hicks kept ruining that script.

(For the naive: Jordin Sparks and family knew Randy Jackson from years before, e.g.)

So now TPTB are trying to make McPhee into some FAKE multi-talented star by having her sing...on TV...for a Broadway show.

She still isn't going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 53203/16/2012

Anyone know what Phillip Spaeth (Dennis) recovered from to get a Welcome Back basket?

by Anonymousreply 53303/16/2012

R533 - read upthread - he had food poisoning from eating a coned beef sandwich.

Is Peshia McPhee really Kat's mom? I knew her back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 53403/16/2012

Then why isn't she any better than what she is?

by Anonymousreply 53503/16/2012

wow - the family resembelence is def there. god help me - but i find myself tuning into this show event hough i swore i wouldnt.

by Anonymousreply 53603/16/2012

Wiki says that Katherine's father Daniel is a television producer. So I guess maybe little Kate let dad know she wanted a TV show.

by Anonymousreply 53703/17/2012

McPhee attracted the attention of Steven Spielberg when she was on AI and he had been trying to find a project for her. Notice his production credit on Smash.

by Anonymousreply 53803/18/2012

So, has she replaced Daphne Zuniga in his affections, R538??

by Anonymousreply 53903/18/2012

Spoke to my friend on the crew and apparently Spielberg himself didn't like "Rose's Turn"-thought it went on too long and was too dark-go figure. So they re-shot it with Bernadette doing "Everything's Coming Up Roses."

by Anonymousreply 54003/18/2012

Hope Bernie wears her "Follies" wig.

by Anonymousreply 54103/18/2012

Well, R538, Spielberg must be a no-talent fool if he likes McPhee.

After all, R532 has made the definitive statement on the matter.

Nevertheless, whatever you call that spark of Hilty's, either she's purposely hiding it in this show (because McPhee is going to be the star in the end?), or it's hidden under all her fat, because she just comes across as second-rate. Maybe it's actually brilliant, because she's playing a second-rate character, but she seems not quite up to speed.

by Anonymousreply 54203/18/2012

Megan Hilty is one of the only really good things this show has going. And Spielberg cast her as well so I don't get r542's point.

by Anonymousreply 54303/18/2012

Spielberg has a history of liking (and then marrying) no-talent actresses. Hence, Kate Capshaw (whose only previous work was as Jinx Avery on THE EDGE OF NIGHT)in Temple of Doom.

by Anonymousreply 54403/18/2012

R544, I wouldn't call Amy Irving a "no-talent." She was lovely in YENTL.

by Anonymousreply 54503/18/2012

Obviously you won't agree, R543, but I find her off-putting.

I assume that's because she's a good actress, and it's clearly part of the storyline that the audience is supposed to dislike Ivy's character so we can cheer when Iowa-girl Karen is given the role of Marilyn.

Nevertheless, it isn't just the character I don't like. I don't enjoy watching the actress, though I acknowledge she's talented and I know she's beloved by a lot of Broadway fans.

by Anonymousreply 54603/18/2012

I enjoy watching Megan, even if I don't like Ivy.

by Anonymousreply 54703/18/2012

McPhee is beautiful, has a great voice, and is as good or better thana lot of actresses who get roles on TV I don't get the confusion.

This show sucks.

by Anonymousreply 54803/19/2012

But she's as dull as dishwater, r548.

by Anonymousreply 54903/19/2012

I agree, R549. She's extremely uncompelling. She might be more interesting as an out and out bitch.

by Anonymousreply 55003/19/2012

Kate Capshaw is not untalented. She was great in A Girl Thing (really!, in which she played a very charming bisexual with explicit scenes with Elle McPherson). She also did plenty besides The Edge of Night before she hooked up with Spielberg.

by Anonymousreply 55103/19/2012

I love the musical numbers where there are supposed to be musical numbers. I detest having people bust into song with music playing in their bedrooms. It's corny and dated. The show is about a fucking musical. Isn't that enough for them to have realistic singing and music!

That said while I like Karen I can't see her as Marilyn. Even in the wig she looks and sounds nothing like her. I don't know why they couldn't get a second actress/singer for Smash that also could be a realistic Monroe.

by Anonymousreply 55203/19/2012

Peters has not aged since the 1960s, except a little around the neck.

She doesn't look like she's had any work. She still looks exactly like herself. How does she do it.

Also, while her voice isn't 100% of what it was it's still so great. I'll bet she's never done any of the voice killing shit others like Liza have done.

by Anonymousreply 55303/19/2012

I liked tonight's episode. I thought everyone really seemed to be getting comfortable in their roles (in a good way).

by Anonymousreply 55403/19/2012

The actor playing Joe was amazing. What a voice!

by Anonymousreply 55503/19/2012

I want to see the black sports-loving chorus boy in a threesome with the songwriter and his deadly dull boyfriend.

And tonight's episode ROCKED!

Seeing Bernadette get through her number (as opposed to just a snippet from Gypsy) was very entertaining......and quite revealing about the characters.

by Anonymousreply 55603/19/2012

The two big scenes with Bernie and Megan after the workshop were really well acted and well written - unlike all the scenes with Deb M and Will Chase (poor Will - he can act and sing and is sorta hot but he's stuck with Messing, both onscreen and off).

I'm a little surprised Bernie agreed to play a role so close to her own age - just 3 years ago she played a woman chasing Michael Urie on UGLY BETTY and the huge age gap wasn't even acknowledged!

And as for cosmetic work, Bernie clearly has not had any work done around her eyes - the crows' feet and wrinkles in HD were astonishing tonight

by Anonymousreply 55703/20/2012

I think it's best episode since the pilot

by Anonymousreply 55803/20/2012

Why does Bernadette always sound like she has a terribly stuffed up nose? Does she have a deviated septum? Is she ever going to look into that?

by Anonymousreply 55903/20/2012

I've been loving this show from the beginning but I thought this episode was the worst. The whole Bernadette thing didn't work for me. Nathan Lane and Joe Machoda exist in their world but Bernadette Peters, red hair and all, doesn't? Just this fictional Tony winning actress she's playing? It was so awkward when she sang for the cast. It wasn't that good and the whole thing just didn't flatter Bernadette at all. And then the final moment of the show, please. With that boy crying, I just don't buy it. I still love the show though and anxiously await the next episode!

by Anonymousreply 56003/20/2012

Who is Bernadette's character based on?

by Anonymousreply 56103/20/2012

I'm glad Eileen put that bitch Ellis in his place, for being a tattletale.

by Anonymousreply 56203/20/2012

The bearded plumber was hot.

by Anonymousreply 56303/20/2012

R560 is right. I'm not stupid (or maybe I AM!!) but I totally did NOT GET why the son was crying? I could see the Debra Messing character crying...oh, and aren't we going to get a scene where the husband finds out?? This show seems to have a lot of what could be dramatic moments, not being acknowledged onscreen; that having been said, overall I love love love the show, but then again I am a huge "show queen" (female division); not sure if most of America/Neilsen ratings will support the show...

But glad to read about it on the wonderful DL!

by Anonymousreply 56403/20/2012

The teenage boy being comforted by his mother while crying over her adultery was beyond odd. It must have been written by Theresa Rebeck, because it seems like a mother's fanatasy.

In reality a teenage boy would have said "Fuck off bitch, you're ruining my life" then stalk off looking for his friend with weed.

by Anonymousreply 56503/20/2012

I found the boy crying very touching and not odd at all. Kids bear a disproportionate amount of emotional weight in a dysfunctional home.

by Anonymousreply 56603/20/2012

Will the boy eventually become an eldergay?

by Anonymousreply 56703/20/2012

In her Marilyn wig and gown, Katherine McPhee reminded me of Anthony Perkins dressed like 'Mother' in Hitchcock's PSYCHO.

by Anonymousreply 56803/20/2012

What R548 said.

by Anonymousreply 56903/20/2012

I had to take a couple of phone calls during the show last night. What did Eileen tell Ellis, and what triggered it? And was Nathan Lane in the show last night, or just mentioned?

by Anonymousreply 57003/20/2012

Eileen: Joe Machota was there from CAA. He represents Scarlett Johansson, Michelle Williams, Sutton Foster....

Tom: STOP!

by Anonymousreply 57103/20/2012

r570 here -- never mind: I got the recap from

by Anonymousreply 57203/20/2012

Nathan Lane wasn't there but in a previous episode, Eileen said he would be there. The hot plumber is played by Thorsten Kaye who was Zach on All My Children

by Anonymousreply 57303/20/2012

I hate the "I Love Lucy" style star casting, where all the regulars have to oooh and aaaah and gush over the guest celebrity like they were Jesus.

The look of rapturous adoration while Peters sang were so over-the-top.

by Anonymousreply 57403/20/2012

Indeed they were. But what kind of big star was she supposed to be, who "inspired" Debra Messing? One person said she saw her in Westbury, for god's sake! That's a star?

by Anonymousreply 57503/20/2012

Kat does a great version of MM's Happy Birthday.

by Anonymousreply 57603/20/2012

Bernadette Peters' speech to Ivy at the end was ripped straight from Celeste Talbert's Emmy reel in Soapdish.

by Anonymousreply 57703/20/2012

The faces making goo goo eyes at Peters were hilarious. Sometimes I wish this show had a laugh track.

by Anonymousreply 57803/20/2012

Eileen is the wrong name for Huston's character. She doesn't look like an Eileen and Derek's British pronunciation of the name (EYE-leen) is annoying. She should have had a more old-timey, theatrical name like Margo or Vera.

by Anonymousreply 57903/20/2012

She should also have a bra and some blouses that actually fit she is Anjelica Houston after all!

by Anonymousreply 58003/20/2012

I can't take any more of McPhee's awful hand gestures when she sings. Is she having a seizure?

by Anonymousreply 58103/20/2012

Pay attention people. The guy was not a plumber. He was a bartender.

by Anonymousreply 58203/20/2012

[quote]Pay attention people. The guy was not a plumber. He was a bartender.

How could we forget? He makes the best $7 martini in Manhattan! (that line is getting as tired as the drink-in-face bit)

by Anonymousreply 58303/20/2012

I like SMASH, but have not watched every episode. Had it been established that Ivy had a famous mother? If not, Bernadette Peter's appearance was more "Life with Lucy" (1986) than "I Love Lucy."

by Anonymousreply 58403/20/2012

R579 - "She doesn't look like an Eileen and Derek's British pronunciation of the name (EYE-leen) is annoying."

Huh? How is one supposed to pronounce "Eileen"?

by Anonymousreply 58503/20/2012

Well R585 I know in Japan it's pronounced as Irene.

by Anonymousreply 58603/20/2012

R585 - Oh I get it. Accent on last syllable. Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 58703/20/2012

Will & Grace's realtor's name was Aileen, but it was pronounced "Eileen."

Will: "Ay don't know."

by Anonymousreply 58803/20/2012

Speaking of W&G, I picture Messing as Grace Adler and these are the years she spent without Will.

She still hangs out with gay guys.

She sure acts like Miz Adler.

by Anonymousreply 58903/20/2012

The kid who plays Messing's kid is a fucking awful actor. He's on a par with Connor Paolo.

by Anonymousreply 59003/20/2012

The way the kid stretches out words, it's like he IS on drugs.

by Anonymousreply 59103/20/2012

r573, the bearded plumber, Barzin Akhavan is of Iranian heritage.

by Anonymousreply 59203/20/2012

I know, the kid is awful.

by Anonymousreply 59303/20/2012

Don't miss a word of our breathless discussion. Thread 2 starts here

by Anonymousreply 59503/20/2012

by Anonymousreply 59603/20/2012

thanks r595 am migrating now...

by Anonymousreply 59703/20/2012

"The teenage boy being comforted by his mother while crying over her adultery was beyond odd."

He was crying because he was relieved that the mother had pulled the plug on the affair. Obviously, the kid was greatly distressed about its potential consequences (you know, like the family breaking up?). Realizing the affair was over, he could finally let go and reveal his pent-up emotions.

That scene was the only moment of interest, truth and feeling in the entire dopey series to date.

by Anonymousreply 59803/20/2012

"Who is Bernadette's character based on?"

Ima Kleeshay.

by Anonymousreply 59903/20/2012

This. Show. Sucks.

by Anonymousreply 60003/20/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!