Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Remember Jake Gyllenhaal?

Wasn't he a big gay icon once upon a time?

Whatever happened to his career?

by Orlando Bloomreply 6404/15/2015

He was pretty good in that sci-fi movie, "SOurce Code" ... and got some good reviews in it.

by Orlando Bloomreply 101/17/2012

I just watched Source Code on DVD tonight. I liked it!

by Orlando Bloomreply 209/03/2012

He's performing in a rather terrible off-Broadway play right now called, "If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet."

The only thing he can't find at the moment is his career.

by Orlando Bloomreply 309/03/2012

The play is terrible but the buzz, even among the theater snobs, is that Jake is very good, believe it or not. Even his British accent is getting high marks.

by Orlando Bloomreply 409/03/2012

He's a lot like Van and Jake. People had their orgy of interest in them--remember those Brokeback Mountain inspired fan paintings on Ebay several years back--but history has turned a page. Then being labeled anti-American by right wing radio for Prince of Persia, people who already thought he was gay, well, it's a lot to overcome.

by Orlando Bloomreply 509/03/2012

He did too much showmancing - and he is not really a great actor.

by Orlando Bloomreply 609/03/2012

[quote]Even his British accent is getting high marks.

Well it bloody well should! I gave 'im lessons, I did! That chap was a quick study, guv'nuh!

by Orlando Bloomreply 709/03/2012

Yes, I'll admit though the play stinks Jake is very good in his supporting role (odd that he didn't sign up for a leading part). His accent is strong, and more importantly consistent. No amount of good acting will keep this turkey afloat sadly.

I hope the experience doesn't scare him away from the stage for good. I think he shows a lot of promise.

by Orlando Bloomreply 809/03/2012

A friend of mine who did see the show and whose opinion I trust told me quite sincerely that Jake would make a very good Jamie in "Long Day's Journey Into Night."

by Orlando Bloomreply 909/03/2012

He's on the front cover of some Man-Mag, maybe Details? Full beard and yummy as ever. Woooof.

by Orlando Bloomreply 1009/03/2012

Jake would also make a great Brick in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

by Orlando Bloomreply 1109/03/2012

He's top-billed in a movie coming out later this month called END OF WATCH, where he plays a tough LA cop (and his love interest is Ugly Betty herself, America Ferrara!)

He's trying to toughen his image with this film, which is why he's on all the magazine covers this month.

Memo to Jake - once a queer, always a queer. No beard can help you, be it female or facial...

by Orlando Bloomreply 1209/04/2012

"End of Watch" is getting a big premiere at the Toronto Film Festival next week before it opens on the 21st; Jake will be there doing press. He also just finished shooting "An Enemy" in Toronto with Melanie Laurent and Isabella Rossellini, directed by Denis Villeneuve ("Incendies").

by Orlando Bloomreply 1309/04/2012

Wishful thinking, OP. Wishful thinking.

Why do people keep starting threads about Jake Gyllenhaal's career ending? You would think that after his career ended so many times, no one would even remember him by now in order to start a thread about his career ending.

by Orlando Bloomreply 1409/04/2012

He's that woofy straight guy, right?

by Orlando Bloomreply 1509/04/2012

Now he is the shadow of a rumor. But very lucky to have fucked Henry in the process.

by Orlando Bloomreply 1606/27/2013

r16 if you mean Henry Cavill, just know that everyone has fucked Henry Cavill. He is one of those slutty whores who would have done anything to get where he is now. Nothing for Mr. Jake Gyllenhall to be proud off.

by Orlando Bloomreply 1706/27/2013

Did we ever figure out who the guy he was with at the Tony's?

by Orlando Bloomreply 1806/27/2013

He was with a guy at the Tony's? Pic?

by Orlando Bloomreply 1906/27/2013

I just read a story that he is "dating" a sports illustrated swimsuit model who you've never heard of but hopes to be famous someday, and that it is the 2nd swimsuit model in 2 months worthy of an announcement to the tabloids. Ergo, he has a movie coming out soon? So his career must not be dead.

by Orlando Bloomreply 2006/27/2013

Now that darling Jen Aniston is available, Jake should look her up! I understand there was huge hetero chemistry when they worked together. And they would have the cutest babies!

by Orlando Bloomreply 2106/27/2013

Jake is a good actor. The 20's are hard for actors, because actors don't usually get anything real to play until their 30's and up. It's the opposite of actresses, who are hotter commodities when they're young.

Look at Zac Efron. The guy is talented, but if he wants a feature career he has to negotiate these years very carefully.

Jake has made a lot of mistakes career wise, but I chalk it up to a lack of anything interesting to do. I predict that as he gets older, he'll turn a corner, and be very big in his late 30's and 40's. When did Clooney get big? Late 30's. Hugh Jackman is pushing 50. Daniel Day Lewis is pushing 60. Jamie Foxx is mid 40's.

The trailer for Prisoners is out and it looks amazing.

by Orlando Bloomreply 2206/28/2013

This is the guy who was in that cop movie last year?

by Orlando Bloomreply 2306/28/2013

OMG! I just realized this thread is 18 months old and only twenty-something posts?! Guess Jake really is over.

by Orlando Bloomreply 2406/28/2013

McConaughey is also now just winning accolades for his acting after nearly two decades of A List/screen idol fame. Jake G. is a great actor who plays "dark and disturbed" *very* well. He and Zooey Deschanel stole "The Good Girl" from right underneath the older actors in the film.

by Orlando Bloomreply 2506/28/2013

He's my favorite actor, R24. Some things I'd rather keep private than subject them to typical DL bullshit.

by Orlando Bloomreply 2606/28/2013

[quote]He was with a guy at the Tony's? Pic?

See link to thread below.

by Orlando Bloomreply 2706/28/2013

This thread keeps dying.

by Orlando Bloomreply 2806/28/2013

[quote] Whatever happened to his career?

It went to Henry Cavill.

I would dare say that all the nasty Cavill hate posts on Datalounge are from Jake Gyllenhaal.

Sorry, Jakey! Henry's got you beat. Maybe you can try television. I hear Law & Order has a guest spot reserved for you.

by Orlando Bloomreply 2906/28/2013

[quote]I would dare say that all the nasty Cavill hate posts on Datalounge are from Jake Gyllenhaal.

oh, boy!

Jake doesn't need to linger on past fucks. He is doing fine by himself and his new movie [bold]Prisoners[/bold] looks amazing.

by Orlando Bloomreply 3006/29/2013

Can't wait to see [bold]Prisoners[/bold], R30.

I checked Jake's IMDB page, and I've seen everything he's been in as an adult except [bold]Prince of Persia[/bold] and [bold]The Day after Tomorrow[.bold]. And I saw the episode of [bold]Homicide: Life on the Street[/bold] his father, the episode's director, cast him in.

I'm not a completist. I just like him.

by Orlando Bloomreply 3106/29/2013

[/bold]bye, bye bold.

by Orlando Bloomreply 3206/29/2013

I don't like his voice at all.

by Orlando Bloomreply 3306/29/2013

He needs to cut of that beard. His beautiful face has been covered for too long.

by Orlando Bloomreply 3407/01/2013

I think it was overexposure when he went on that hetero PR blitz. It happened to Ben Affleck, but Affleck had the talent as a director to pull himself back and sort of reinvent his career. Jake is not a great actor, he is OK, but not great and has probably no skills in any other area of film.

I think he'll end up in TV, which is great. But still I haven't really though much of him since those straight showmances that followed Prince of Persia. That's to say I don't think he is straight, yeah he is straight but he was so scared of being called gay he just became a bit sad.

by Orlando Bloomreply 3507/01/2013

Well, and he's an interesting test case now, because he's a prime example both of someone for whom coming out would really help his profile and his career AND someone who waited too long and bearded too much -- not sure how he can plausibly come out now unless he claims a kind of Meredith Baxter late-in-life conversion.

by Orlando Bloomreply 3607/01/2013

He seems like such a sweet man. I really like his persona and want him to succeed. I don't know about the bearding thing. If he wants or his "team" wants him to be a leading man or a romantic lead, they are probably admonishing him to manage his image, especially if he is gay.

by Orlando Bloomreply 3707/01/2013

I don't care if he's in the lead or not, but I want him to be in a new movie where he isn't a thug/punk wannabe. I just want his beautiful face in a decent movie.

by Orlando Bloomreply 3807/01/2013

What R38 said. Jake is my favorite actor.

by Orlando Bloomreply 3907/01/2013

I'll still fuck him If I got the chance.

by Orlando Bloomreply 4007/02/2013

Did Hugh Jackman fuck Jake during the set of their Prisoner movie?

by Orlando Bloomreply 4107/02/2013

This guy is only in his early 30s, he might not have had a lot of super high profile or blockbuster coming out but he seems to be consistently working. He is an attractive white guy so he still have like at least 20 prime years left where he can still be paired with actresses in their 20s.

by Orlando Bloomreply 4207/02/2013

[quote]. He is an attractive white guy so he still have like at least 20 prime years left

If he was black or brown, he wouldn't have those 20 years, would he?

by Orlando Bloomreply 4307/02/2013

But he isn't "black or brown," R44. Do you hate Jake because he's white?

by Orlando Bloomreply 4407/02/2013

A black Jake?

by Orlando Bloomreply 4507/02/2013

Jake is cute. There is nothing wrong with him. He just needs to cut of that hideous beard on his face and act cute in a new movie. That's all!!!

by Orlando Bloomreply 4607/02/2013

He needs a scandal and he'll be back on radar.

by Orlando Bloomreply 4707/02/2013

Sorry boys, he's straight

by Orlando Bloomreply 4809/15/2013

He [italic]may[/italic] be straight, but he gives an excellent blow job.

by Orlando Bloomreply 4909/16/2013

He's looking good again. Really good. Still trying out for the role of The Heterosexual, though.

by Orlando Bloomreply 5012/23/2014

R11, are you kidding us? The rest of the cast would have to be left-over midgets from the Wizard of Oz.

by Orlando Bloomreply 5112/23/2014

Jake ABSOLUTELY needs a little scruff in order to be hot and handsome. As he's gotten older the proportion and shape of his features just don't work without it.

by Orlando Bloomreply 5212/23/2014

[42] He's been paired with more older women in the last few projects. Good trend.

Hopefully there's still a musical in his future. Something offbeat. No more bland whitebread.

by Orlando Bloomreply 5312/23/2014

Jake is at his best in art house type projects.

by Orlando Bloomreply 5412/23/2014

Ewwwwww!!! Wolverine is THAT OLD?! I just lost my boner! Yuck! Jake has pretty eyes, but he's a dry, lifeless actor.

by Orlando Bloomreply 5512/23/2014

Thirty-four years old and still bearding! No wonder he looks positively depressed in those pictures with his new love.

by Orlando Bloomreply 5612/24/2014

Jake is going to die in the closet. He's totally a self-loathing Rock Hudson type. I'll never know how he bounced back from that Taylor Swift stunt.

by Orlando Bloomreply 5701/01/2015

Sorry, sissy boys. Jake is straight and every inch of him is all man.

by Orlando Bloomreply 5801/01/2015

Boy seems to be doing pretty good right now.

Probably won't get that Oscar nomination, but he has like four or five movies coming out this year, so I'm not worried about his career at all.

by Orlando Bloomreply 5901/02/2015

I saw him only in Brokeback, where he resembled a monkey.

by Orlando Bloomreply 6001/02/2015

Was great in the little seen "Enemy". He seems to thrive on arthouse complex films like that

by Orlando Bloomreply 6101/02/2015

I think Enemy is his best performance to date. Nightcrawler is too showy, acting with capital A. Still a good movie tho.

by Orlando Bloomreply 6201/02/2015

He's in LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS at Encores in NYC this July

by Orlando Bloomreply 6304/15/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!