Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A Joyful Noise

Enjoyed this fluffy film with Latifah and Dolly. Jeremy Jordan was gorgeous.

Does anyone know the location of the auditorium used at the end of the film? Most of the locations were Georgia with a few in L.A., but the latter weren't listed in IMDB.

by Anonymousreply 3003/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 101/17/2012

Not sure..this article says the opening scenes were filmed at a theatre in Dallas, GA. Is it the same place?

by Anonymousreply 201/17/2012

by Anonymousreply 401/19/2012

I think it was filmed in Dolly's brassiere closet.

by Anonymousreply 501/19/2012

It got bad reviews but I liked it. It was a pleasant way to spend a few hours if you like that kind of music. Really liked Jeremy Jordan, too, and "Maybe I'm Amazed."

by Anonymousreply 601/19/2012

I loved Dolly's original songs, and Jeremy Jordan is a triple threat!

by Anonymousreply 701/19/2012

Latifah only allowed women who could be at her disposal--sexually--to interact with her on set. Shocking behavior. I always thought she was such a nice lady before I heard those stories.

by Anonymousreply 801/19/2012

I'm surprised that this movie isn't a big hit.

by Anonymousreply 901/19/2012

R* - she is one of the producers, I think, so it would make sense

by Anonymousreply 1001/19/2012

Queen Latifah is photoshopped to give the impression that she actually has a waistline.

by Anonymousreply 1101/19/2012

Three of the songs featured in the film were written by Parton, including "From Here to the Moon and Back," a ballad that she sings with Jeremy Jordan. Nice music. I'm not heavily into the gospel music, but I enjoyed it in this feel-good film because it was so well done and moved the story along.

I didn't even recognize Jesse Martin. He's looking very unwell. I was surprised to see his name in the credits at the end. I watched him for years on L&O but he doesn't look like the same person.

by Anonymousreply 1201/19/2012

What is this movie about?

by Anonymousreply 1301/19/2012

A small-town Georgia church faces hard times with hallelujahs when a national competition offers their financially strapped choir its only chance at survival. Dolly Parton plays the quick-witted G.G. Sparrow, a wealthy widow with a gorgeous grandson.

With the National Joyful Noise Competition looming, choir director Vi Rose Hill (Latifah) makes the group get serious about traditional gospel music. But when G.G.'s grandson Randy suggests the choir take a chance on more modern songs, a holy battle flares up — and only gains heat when it's discovered that Randy (Jeremy Jordan) has the hots for Vi Rose's daughter, Olivia (Keke Palmer). At issue isn't race, but the fact that Randy's a bit of a bad boy.

The two leading ladies move beyond polite church chatter when Vi Rose lambasts G.G. for all the plastic surgery she's had. Parton's character retorts, "God didn't put plastic surgeons on earth to starve." There was a lot of funny back and forth between the two characters.

by Anonymousreply 1401/19/2012

Has anyone figured the location of the big theatre used at the end of the film? That needed a lot of extras to fill those seats.

by Anonymousreply 1501/21/2012

saw it today. lots of fun.

by Anonymousreply 1601/21/2012

I haven't seen it, but can you find a picture of the theater from the movie?

Short of that, you could google some of the newer, larger theaters in LA, like the Nokia Theater, The Valley Performing Arts Center, The Disney Hall, The Kodak Theater, etc.

R15, most likely they only filled the front block of seats, and digitally inserted the rest. That's typical in movies & TV shows these days.

by Anonymousreply 1701/21/2012

[quote]most likely they only filled the front block of seats, and digitally inserted the rest. That's typical in movies & TV shows these days.

I was watching for that because it was such a big theatre, however, the choral group went right out into the audience and up and down the aisles. Some went up the side area toward the balcony seats, too. I've been in a few films that used a lot of extras, so I always watch things like that. This audience was very involved with jumping up and down, cheering and waving arms in the air - more action than I've seen in digitized scenes in other films. I don't think it was digital.

by Anonymousreply 1801/21/2012

Maybe filmed at AtlantaCivic Center OP. They filmed a lot there but I have not seen the movie so just a guess.

by Anonymousreply 1901/21/2012

It was filmed at an opera house in Galveston, Tx.

by Anonymousreply 2001/21/2012

I thought it was a really cute movie and I liked a lot of the music from the movie. The only thing that could have made it better was if they did a gospel version of "Higher Love" by Steve Winwood during the end medley.

by Anonymousreply 2101/28/2012

What forum did I land in? The best thing about this dreck was that they killed off Kris Kristofferson before the opening credits.

Love ya, Dolly, but enough with the face.

by Anonymousreply 2201/28/2012

Thought it stunk. They should have called it Two Deaths And A Wedding. And are we really supposed to believe that there are integrated churches like that in Georgia? Oh and the Left Banke had TWO hits. How could even this movie get that wrong?

by Anonymousreply 2301/28/2012

So it's like Sister Act meets Steel Magnolias?

by Anonymousreply 2401/28/2012

It was the Atlanta Civic Center in the final scene. A beautiful theatre. There were some scenes in other theaters, too.

by Anonymousreply 2501/29/2012

is it true that dolly lives with her girlfriend near pavillions in weho? i would think she could afford a nicer area

by Anonymousreply 2601/29/2012

Dolly's character G.G.: Who cares if I've had a few little nips and tucks? God didn't make plastic surgeons so they could starve!

by Anonymousreply 2701/29/2012

How do you imagine Dolly is groomed "down there"? Landing strip? Bald? Jungle? Enquiring minds want to know.

by Anonymousreply 2801/29/2012

Dolly Parton is a national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 2903/22/2013

This must be the most intergrated church choir in southern Georgia.

by Anonymousreply 3003/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!