Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Julianne Moore...Seriously not Oscar's friend?

Watching the Golden Globulars last night and seeing Julianne Moore got me wondering why the woman has never won an Oscar. She's been nominated several times, even twice in one year (!), but the statue has always remained elusive to her. She is an absolutely brilliant actress. When will it be her time?

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 5001/29/2015

She should have won for Far From Heaven.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 101/16/2012

I agree

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 201/16/2012

She should have won for "Boogie Nights."

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 301/16/2012

I think because she doesn't campaign for them.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 401/16/2012

She's purely TV quality. A minor league slugger trying out for the Mets.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 501/16/2012

She stole the show in "Cradle."

She's amazing.

She had the class and grace to go back to As the World Turns, the show that gave her her start (and an Emmy) to help send the show off the air.

She should have won the year she was nominated twice. Jessica Lange won Supporting for Tootsie, when she was nomianted for Frances.

But really Teri Garr should have won for Tootsie.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 601/16/2012

We beg to differ, R5

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 701/16/2012

Aot of great actors are ignored. People can't think outside the box.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 801/16/2012

I am going to be truly happy when she finally wins. I am sure she will in the future.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 901/18/2012

Get in line.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 1001/18/2012

She didn't win for "Boogie Nights" because her two best scenes were pretty far into the movie, by which time any of the Academy voters who were offended by the subject matter had long since turned it off.

But she absolutely should have won.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 1101/18/2012

The Academy don't vote for Cunts.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 1201/18/2012

She needs to stop playing unhappy housewives.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 1301/18/2012

Just bad luck and bad timing, I guess.

I suspect the ballots show that Moore came in second for FFH the year Nicole Kidman won for The Hours, but since the accounting firm never releases the vote tallies, we'll never know the truth. She might have come second the year Kim Basinger won too, but once again, that's close but no cigar.

It's like why Debra Winger, Michelle Pfeiffer, Annette Bening, Sigourney Weaver or Glenn Close, or Greta Garbo or Barbara Stanwyck, don't have Oscars. Well, because coming in second is coming in second. If you lose by only 20 votes, you still lose. If you come in second four or times, that's still second place. It's very possible, even probable, that Bening for instance came second all four times she was nominated, losing to Goldberg, Swank twice, and Portman.

Cuba Gooding Jr. has only delivered one performance in his entire life the Academy was remotely interested in, but for whatever reason, they thought it was the year's best supporting turn. So he's an Oscar winner and Moore and Bening aren't.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 1401/18/2012

She's only 51.

Geraldine Page was 61 and won on her 8th nomination.

Christopher Plummer is miraculously poised to win at 82.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 1501/18/2012

Gee, Page was only 61? That was a rough 61.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 1601/19/2012

She's a fine actress, but the match of role/film/actress/buzz has not come around for her so far. I think she's decent, and her performance in "The Kids Are All Right" was far better than that poor ham bone scenery chewer Annette Bening's, but it also was overshadowed by the brilliant performance by Mia Wasikowska.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 1701/19/2012

Given that she was dead at age 62, R16, she probably wasn't in the best of health.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 1801/19/2012

I thought she should have won for The Hours instead of Catherine Zeta Jones in Chicago. CZJ's performance pales in comparasion to Julianne in The Hours IMO.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 1904/23/2013

If she could have won, she would have won....and that's show business, baby.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 2004/23/2013

97- Boogie Nights-she was a newcomer to Oscars and the buzz at the time was she great but didn't have a big Oscar scene...like one big kind of dramatic moment

99-End of The Affair was just kind of a filler nomination

02-The Hours/Far From Home double nominations actually hurt her chances---two depressed housewives in one year made her range seem limmited.

She really was quite excelent as Sarah Palin. I think she helped you understand Palin and got the quirky fun stuff that Tina Fey did and also the religiosity, then depression and finally egomania of the woman.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 2104/23/2013

The Oscar's really don't mean much anymore in terms of measuring talent. Think of all the people who have won in the last 10 years that really didn't deserve one.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 2204/23/2013

Julianne will always work...she's got another 30 years or so to get a statue.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 2304/23/2013

I think this may be the one that wins it for her.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 2407/03/2013

She was brilliant in Magnolia, simply brilliant. Love the "suck my DICK" line in the pharmacy meltdown.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 2507/03/2013

Have never been blown away by her. She's an okay actress but not one that is amazing.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 2607/03/2013

Really, OP? "brilliant actress"?

Are you fucking kidding me??? She is so bland, I guarantee she will never get an academy award!

If she wins an oscar, I will personally blow you, while you watch the Tonys! (but you better have orchestra seats or forget it.)

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 2707/03/2013

I hope she wins for comedy. She's such a gifted comedienne.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 2807/03/2013

***BREAKING*** Julianne Moore just fucks herself out of an Oscar... likely.

Tells Hollywood Reporter mag. she doesn't believe in God or guns. Sounds enlightened, right? Maybe not so much.

As progressive and liberal as Hollywood is, it will likely bristle at her seeming obnoxiousness. And who can blame them? Oscar winners should keep low political profiles and try not to piss people off. You're nominated, you've got less than two months to smile lovely and be gracious.

Sorry old girl, this was likely your last chance and you blew it. Seriously.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 2901/29/2015

"[B]rilliant performance" and "by Mia Wasikowska" are two phrases that do not belong in the same sentence, R17.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 3001/29/2015

Oh this is an old thread.

Julianne Moore has put in some good performances but she's also put in some bad ones and she's been in some awful, awful movies. At this point in her career, she has been in more awful movies than good ones.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 3101/29/2015

Is there any way she doesn't win the Oscar next month? I really can't see one.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 3201/29/2015

The Oscara are about luck and politics. Lots of people who have won them didn't deserve them. But I think Julianne Moore deserves one.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 3301/29/2015

R33 she deserves one but not for this movie.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 3401/29/2015

R32, see the post @ R29.

I'm making the call right here: She doesn't win and I think that article will, at least in park, sink her.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 3501/29/2015

My Oscara is running.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 3601/29/2015

[quote] "[B]rilliant performance" and "by Mia Wasikowska" are two phrases that do not belong in the same sentence,

Holy shit [30], I was just getting down to the end of the thread to make this exact same comment. Wasikowska is a horrendous actress. She actually makes Kristen Stewart look good in comparison.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 3701/29/2015

The homeless people that live in parks are not Academy voters R35. Except for Cuba Gooding, Jr. and I don't think he really cares anymore.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 3801/29/2015

R31 is correct

She was awful in a lot of films and it diminished her status. I think she's limited. Seeing her go through her catalog of emotions for that unimportant role in that awful A SINGLE MAN film really showed how limited she is.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 3901/29/2015

She has no range.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 4001/29/2015

I liked her as Palin and her reticent and mannered acting style worked well for her in Far From Heaven. I watched Boogie Nights just last night and this is the role that she should have won an Oscar for. But not for Almost Alice. I can't say I have ever really been impressed with her acting. And I am never quite able to suspend disbelief when I am watching her. I am always aware that I am watching "Julianne Moore". Also, I find her mouth and teeth a distraction. And not in a good way;) For the longest time her teeth were a light grey color. I'm hoping that Cotillard pulls an upset. Or Felicity Jones. Don't just give this woman an Oscar because she is "due".

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 4101/29/2015

I saw her at Best Buy buying a range.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 4201/29/2015

[quote]I am always aware that I am watching "Julianne Moore"

That's how I felt about STILL ALICE. It was no different from her other characterizations in other films, except her character was a little forgetful toward the end.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 4301/29/2015

Moore gets less impressive with every role she's given, but she's well liked in the industry and the roles she's best loved for are a gay man's wet dream, so they're holding on tight to their Julianne love, despite the fact that she's been over for years and Still Alice is a mediocre performance in a garbage film.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 4401/29/2015

I suspect she may have been able to beat Nicole that year, but her dual nominations (lead for Far From Heaven and supporting for The Hours) probably hurt her in both cases. I'm a big Nicole fan, but I think she was lousy in The Hours and I think FFH might be Julianne's best performance. But, it was Nicole's "turn", apparently. This year's, it's finally going to be Julianne's.

BTW, I can't stand Andy Cohen, but he does get some fun lineups, so I check out his show when there's a non "Housewife" guest I'm interested in. She was on last week with Jonathan Groff. She looked sensational and was a ton of fun and very candid.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 4501/29/2015

yeah, STILL Alice. I kept thinking it was ALMOST a REAL movie and not something I would find on the Lifetime Movie Network, r43;)

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 4601/29/2015

R45, very candid? She wouldn't admit what loss (and who beat her) pissed her off the most. Too nice.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 4701/29/2015

Yeah, Moore was not candid. She pled the fifth on that question. But she seems like the type to not want to ruffle feathers and wants to be in good terms with everyone.

J.Lo actually was candid, never pleading the 5th both times she's been on.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 4801/29/2015

and the Oscar goes to...Julianne Moore for BLUE SKY!

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 4901/29/2015

I liked her in Magnolia. It was the first time I thought she was really powerful.

by "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."reply 5001/29/2015
Need more help? Click Here.