Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dentistry or Funeral Homes -Which is the bigger racket?

I can wait until it's commonplace to order partials and plates and bridges and full sets of dentures by mailing your specs to India.

Cremation has yet to really catch on and that's too bad. When they were young, my poor, decent, dopey grandparents spent thousands on cemetery plots. If they had invested that principle, they would have died rich -or at least with $100,000+.

by Umpyreply 1802/06/2013

My parents each have life insurance worth $6,000. Big whoop, I know. It looks like I can have them cremated and interred at our family's cemetery for about $3,000 each.

Do you usually get the money from the insurance company before the funeral so you can pay the funeral home right away? How does that work?

by Umpyreply 101/14/2012

By far funeral homes.

In my limited experience, a funeral director will wait until the insurance company pays out.

by Umpyreply 201/14/2012

I'd say funeral homes. My uncles funeral cost around $10,000. When my dad was dying, he wanted to be cremated. We got a package deal for veterans, which included the cremation, paperwork, flowers and an urn for about $1600.

Ever on the watch to cut a few bucks, my dad decided he wanted his remains to be in a Mason jar, because he was a Mason. And he wasn't kidding. And he might be able to cut a few bucks off the deal.

I told him, it's a package deal. It includes the urn and you've paid for it. What would I do with an urn?

You're going in the urn old man, and that's it.

He, fortunately, giggled.

by Umpyreply 301/14/2012

No contest. Funeral homes, hands down. Dentists actual provide a service that makes our lives better. Whom do funeral homes really serve? And don't say the loved ones, cuz that's exactly who they set out to screw.

by Umpyreply 401/14/2012

(G)(R)Umpy take comfort in the fact that your friends and family will leave you to be eaten by cats/dogs/raccoons before you are discovered. Thus saving a bundle on funeral home rackets.

Also, bits of wood do just fine as teefs in a pinch.

by Umpyreply 501/14/2012

I don't know about funerals, but my cousin an oral surgeon. He was in a 4 year college, 4 year dental school and one year of residency and then another four years of specialization. Total cost of education - College was $50,000 a year, dental school $85,000 a year and oral surgery $85,000 a year. He did make some money while he went to school the last four years, but that was just enough to cover room and board.

So... takes a long time and it's very expensive. How much should he charge you for pulling out your wisdom tooth?

by Umpyreply 601/15/2012

I vote equally disgracefull. Dentistry plays hugely on human emotions. The raquette they've created insinuating that they take care of teeth has caused millions of people good health by putting long term mercury leaching into people's systems. Undertakers again insinuate that they take care of your relatives .. In the bible there's a quote, let the dead take care of the dead

by Umpyreply 702/04/2013

So don't use a funeral home. Toss grandma in a bag and bury her at night in the cemetary. The old cunt won't know.

by Umpyreply 802/04/2013

When my mother was diagnosed with liver cancer at 88 and in hospice care, the one request she had was that we not send her to "those thievin' bastards." As requested, we donated her body to a medical school.

by Umpyreply 902/04/2013

You want a medal, R9? You did what grandma wanted. You really showed the funeral industry, didn't you?

by Umpyreply 1002/04/2013

no, dentistry by far. dentists enjoy blaming previous dentists for f-ups. they can very easy make 15 to 20+ thousand dollars cumulatively from a single patient by bridges, crowns that eventually won't hold, root canals, partials, and implants. additionally, when you're dead, you're dead. if you're still living, you very much need you face and smile. how can you communicate with friends and family, interview for a job even with a f'ed-up mouth? you can't. plus i've heard tooth pain is worse than giving birth.

by Umpyreply 1202/04/2013

Brush your teeth and you won't need any of that, R12.

by Umpyreply 1302/04/2013

well you need to practice tibetan buddhism and eventually attain the rainbow body and you won't need for an undertaker, ok R13.

by Umpyreply 1402/04/2013

r13

LOL

by Umpyreply 1502/05/2013

I prepaid for Direct Cremation. No service. The oven then put me in a box. Total $942. I shopped around, next cheapest was $1,500. Some were close to $2,000. My ashes will be sprinkled in the Village, even though it's against the law.

by Umpyreply 1602/05/2013

Funeral homes tell grieving families that embalming ($600+) is "customary," though not required by law unless the corpse is on view for three days.

by Umpyreply 1702/06/2013

I'm curious R16 why that is illegal. Funnily enough I was just talking to a friend who wants to be cremated and have his ashes sprinkled in the lake his house fronts up to. Apparently, you have to the city and get a permit. It's just ashes so what's the big deal?

by Umpyreply 1802/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.