Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My new glasses just cost $1000

More than half of that was for the lenses: they're a very high prescription and they're progressives (my first pair of the latter). And I got a schmancy set of titanium frames from Lafont.

Still, the cost has left me a bit reeling. I remember getting a $600 pair three years ago and thinking that was through the roof.

by Anonymousreply 13105/12/2013

Cut your eyes out and donate the money to charity next time.

by Anonymousreply 101/14/2012

OP, your'e a moron. Shop around.

by Anonymousreply 201/14/2012

[quote]OP, your'e a moron.

by Anonymousreply 301/14/2012

You could have gotten LASIK surgery, cheaper in the long run as your glasses will be out of style in 4 years.

by Anonymousreply 401/14/2012

Just think, if you got $10 for every person to whom you're bound to brag to about those glasses, you'll recoup the cost in a matter of days.

by Anonymousreply 501/14/2012

So? You could have paid less if you chose to. Are we supposed to be impressed or outraged, and if the latter, with whom?

by Anonymousreply 601/14/2012

My goodness, just look at how bitter and envious the rest of you are already! Clearly this was money well spent if they're generating this reaction and they're even sight unseen.

by Anonymousreply 701/14/2012

I hear you, OP. My last ones were $840, and I know they're going to be more than $1,000 when I need another pair. It's a racket, I'm sure, because so many people have insurance to pay for them.

by Anonymousreply 801/14/2012

"just look at how bitter and envious the rest of you are already!"

Apparently, you're equally as shortsighted, since you see "bitter and envious" and can't see 'dismissive and sardonic.'

by Anonymousreply 901/14/2012

Insurance does not cover most of the cost of prescription glasses.

I got mine at Costco. The total was $230. I am very nearsighted and I need reading glasses so I got progressives. The lenses are ultra thin progressives with anti-glare. The frames cost $60 and the lenses cost $155.

Consumer Reports rated the vision department at Costco as one of the best. Except that the frames selection is not as fashionable as a vision boutique.

But if you have $1,000 to drop on glasses, by all means. I don't and I am happy with mine.

by Anonymousreply 1001/14/2012

R10, insurance paid all but $210 on mine ($840, as stated above), but my job canceled the vision insurance benefit, so the next ones I'll have to pay for out of pocket.

I don't live near a Costco, but that sounds like a great deal.

by Anonymousreply 1101/14/2012

[quote]Apparently, you're equally as shortsighted, since you see "bitter and envious" and can't see 'dismissive and sardonic.'

I get it: you're pretending there's actually a difference on DL!

by Anonymousreply 1201/14/2012

OP, I got a pair of new titanium glasses 11 months ago and they cost me almost 650 euros (which I think is around 825 dollars) with the lenses taking up about half the price. Worringly the paint started chipping off the titanium, just a tiny bit but it's still a concern, but I managed to get a new pair of frames last week under the warranty (just don't try putting your sunglasses on over them but the sweat above your ears in the summer might be less easy to control).

I had bought my previous pair of glasses, however, around 8-9 years before that, so if these new ones last anywhere near as long as that then I'll feel I got my money's worth. But, you purchased your last pair three years ago. Why the need to get a new pair so soon?

by Anonymousreply 1301/14/2012

So you paid $18, to complain about spending $1,000, so when the predictable responses came back you could call everyone "bitter and envious", thus receiving the petty little ego boost you were looking for in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 1401/14/2012

A pair of shades and a white cane: $19.95

by Anonymousreply 1501/14/2012

Michael's: $3.49 in animal print frames!

by Anonymousreply 1601/14/2012

[quote}so many people have insurance to pay for them.

I'd like to see some numbers on that.

by Anonymousreply 1701/14/2012

Previous pair $600.00, last pair $112 Zenni Optical online. Been a year and I still love them. Best thing I've done in years. First time in my life I have multiple pairs. Got the tip from you guys, thanks!

by Anonymousreply 1801/14/2012

I used to be friends with someone who owned the lab that made lenses for all the glasses shops in the city. He would let me bring in frames and he'd put them in for around 50 bucks. There is a HUGE markup in frames as well, but he also had a nice selection he would give me cheap. It's just a huge marked up industry and I'd shop around at least for cheaper frames, maybe even online, and then take them to Costco for cheaper lenses.

by Anonymousreply 1901/14/2012

My progressive bi-focals cost about $500, and that's with buying my frames on-line for $80.

Myopia is a beeyotch.

by Anonymousreply 2001/14/2012

[quote]Insurance does not cover most of the cost of prescription glasses.

It depends. My plan pays 100% for a new pair every two years. My last pair was Chanel frames that were $600 and the lenses, which have a very expensive prescription, and insurance paid for the whole thing - close to $900.

The more I read about the shit insurance plans people have the more grateful I am for my employer. We have great insurance, plus a debit Visa with a $1000 company paid balance to cover our deductible. If you don't use it, it rolls over, unlike the usual health spending accounts (we have the traditional as an option also). We get the deductible added every year, so we have no out-of-pocket expense except the insurance payroll deduction, which is $94/month for me and my partner together.

We also have pet insurance.

Needless to say, I don't work for an American owned company (it's Dutch). It's stunning how poorly American companies treat their employees. You can't blame the government either; we have to follow the same rules obviously, and have the same need to make a profit, and the same accountability to shareholders.

by Anonymousreply 2101/14/2012

OP, if you'd gotten them tinted and spent another $24,000, you could be on Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Just a thought. I imagined that it might appeal to you, given your apparent value system.

by Anonymousreply 2201/14/2012

OP, there is this great thing called disposable daily lenses. Pop them in your eyes and go. Costs about $1.00/day. No bulky glasses, no dirty lenses, no bent frames.

by Anonymousreply 2301/14/2012

Ha! Mine cost $25,000, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2401/14/2012

What about that Bev Hills Housewife who pent $25K on her glasses!

by Anonymousreply 2501/14/2012

[quote] You could have gotten LASIK surgery, cheaper in the long run as your glasses will be out of style in 4 years.

The OP says he needs multifocal (progressive)lenses, which means that LASIK would be a waste of money for him. LASIK only takes care of myopia, not presbyopia. The OP would still need to wear glasses after having LASIK.

by Anonymousreply 2601/14/2012

Keep in mind that COSTCO only guarantees its glasses for 6 weeks. I had a pair and the frame broke 7 weeks after I bought them. Not covered. I had to buy another frame. That frame broke about 3 months later.

It sometimes pays to spend more money upfront at a place that guarantees your glasses for a longer time period.

I have never had the frames on my glasses break before. I'd been wearing eyeglasses for about 30 years when I went to COSTCO. I am not rough on my frames, don't play sports, don't lay my glasses down in odd places. They simply spontaneously broke and when I brought the glasses to COSTCO they told me the frame could not be fixed and I needed a new one.

by Anonymousreply 2701/14/2012

I had LASIK in 1996 and I now know I've saved a fortune on glasses (which I have never needed since).

My husband gave me Paul Smith frames he used to wear to use if I ever do need glasses again, so I'm set.

by Anonymousreply 2801/14/2012

Has anyone bought from Warby Parker? I like them but am wary about buying online.

by Anonymousreply 2901/14/2012

Op -

I hear you.

The Snide Rest -

Eat shit.

I don't have vision coverage. I do have 20/400 vision with an astigmatism.

My lenses are very high index, ultra thin progressives with anti-glare coating and a prism.

Costco does't make lenses with my index or required progressive lense.

Online labs don't do prisms.

My lenses cost $600.00 and that's with the discount my eye doc gives me because I can't wear contacts and my only other option is a dog and a cane.

by Anonymousreply 3001/14/2012

What I said!

by Anonymousreply 3101/14/2012

I got estimates for my lenses at more than 6 places including doctors offices, stores, online retailers and labs. Unless you suggest I should have ground them myself - kiss my nearsighted ass.

by Anonymousreply 3201/14/2012

[quote]The Snide Rest - Eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 3301/14/2012

There was a recent expose of the eyeglass industry. Franchises like Pearl Vision and LensCrafters and the manufacturers of frames are owned by two or three companies, so there's no way you can shop for the cheapest price.

by Anonymousreply 3401/14/2012

And I got a schmancy set of titanium frames from Lafont.

How to gloat and bitch simultaneously.

by Anonymousreply 3501/14/2012

OP Were your frames made in China?

by Anonymousreply 3601/14/2012

[quote]The OP says he needs multifocal (progressive)lenses, which means that LASIK would be a waste of money for him. LASIK only takes care of myopia, not presbyopia. The OP would still need to wear glasses after having LASIK.

No, it is not a waste when you can buy cheap reading glasses for less than $5/ pair! Use your brain!. I had LASIK surgery 10 years ago. I can still see far but buy reading glasses at Costco---$19 for 3 pairs of sturdy reading glasses. This is why the optical field is a major rip-off!

by Anonymousreply 3701/14/2012

Oh, btw, I'm much smarter and educated than R26!

by Anonymousreply 3801/14/2012

At least you'll be able to read the picket signs more clearly when you're down protesting with the OWS crowd. I'm also sure you'll take the train to get their. Oh, and I'd be remiss in my duties, if I didn't say: THE GLASSES ARE SO MUCH BETTER IN EUROPE!

by Anonymousreply 3901/14/2012

My husband got his online for $100 from Zenni Optical. Just FYI.

It took them forever to arrive, but for the price...

by Anonymousreply 4001/14/2012

Once your eyesight starts chenging with age, it keeps changing.

by Anonymousreply 4101/14/2012

Actually R37, he'd have to wear bifocals, not reading glasses, unless he wants to be wearing a pair of reading glasses on a necklace, because he'd be putting them on and taking them off so often.

by Anonymousreply 4201/14/2012

A lot of assholes on this thread.

My most recent pair of glasses cost $850.

I am nearsighted with bad astigmatism. I'm not a candidate for Lasik and my vision is poor enough that I can't do much of anything without my glasses.

I could get cheap lenses, but they'd end up looking like the bottom of (old) Coke bottles.

I'm willing to pay more for thinner, better lenses because I have to wear these fucking glasses on my face nearly every waking moment of the day.

by Anonymousreply 4301/14/2012

"My progressive bi-focals cost about $500, and that's with buying my frames on-line for $80. "

How did you manage to get an optical shop to put lenses in your frames? Most of these small privately owned optical shops, which sell fashionable frames, depend on the outrageously high markups on frames to keep afloat.

Most optical shops here in NY will flat out refuse to work with the eyeglass frames individuals have bought somewhere else.

The people working their seem to have a script they memorize re frames not bought from them, have all sorts of excuses: we can't take responsibility if your frames are damaged as the optician adds the lenses, especially as we can not replace a frame we don't stock etc.

I'm trying Costco the next time I buy eyeglasses.

Unfortunately progressives didn't work for me, there is no perifiral vision with progressive lenses, so I simply couldn't get used to them. Thankfully, the eye glass shop I purchased my frames from at the time, gave me a second pair of reading glasses for free when I returned the progressives for mid range vision lenses.

I ended up with two pair of thin wire frames, thin glare free lenses and Transitions lenses on my everyday glasses, all for only $500, the original price of the progressive eyeglasses.

The main problem with Costco, they will not copy an existing prescription from your eyeglasses. You will either have to see their optometrist for a fee of $50+ or bring in a prescription from your eye doctor.

They are adamant about not copying prescriptions, even though it's quite easy to read a prescription directly off your existing lenses.

I guess with Costco's eyeglass prices being so low, they need to make money from somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 4401/14/2012

[quote]My husband got his online for $100 from Zenni Optical. Just FYI. It took them forever to arrive, but for the price...

For the record I did Zenni. Ordered them (progressives) the WED before Christmas day and I got them exactly two weeks to the day.

by Anonymousreply 4501/14/2012

How does Zenni do them so cheaply? Do they buy leftover frames or what? Like TJ Maxx for glasses or something?

by Anonymousreply 4601/14/2012

I paid $700 for a pair about 4 years ago. I don't have it. I had to go to Walmart this time.

by Anonymousreply 4701/14/2012

Is everybody on Datalounge always in a bad mood?

by Anonymousreply 4801/14/2012

I rimmed Jerry Sandusky!

by Anonymousreply 4901/14/2012

Got mine at that place at Walmart. I went over to the sale rack and found the only ones that looked sort of stylish and expensive. The exam + frames + lenses (bi-focals) cost a total of about $145 (and my insurance covered all).

by Anonymousreply 5001/14/2012

I suppose Walmart's prices are so low because they pay their workers peon wages, because I don't know of any eyeglass store which will give you a complete pair of eyeglasses for only $145, at least not here in NY or even in LA or most major US cities!

Even Costco's prices are higher than $145 here in NY.

I guess R50's frames are made in China?

I always try to buy frames from Italy or France, which is where most stylish frames were manufactured years ago.

by Anonymousreply 5101/14/2012

Don't know what R27 was talking about. I have 4 pairs of glasses from Costco over the years and none of them broke.

Costco does require that you bring in your own prescription or use one of their optometrists.

You could bring your own frames to be fitted with lenses. There is a slight surcharge.

by Anonymousreply 5201/15/2012

[quote]I always try to buy frames from Italy or France, which is where most stylish frames were manufactured years ago.

Most of the Italian and French frames are assembled in those countries with Chinese parts.

by Anonymousreply 5301/15/2012

I paid a grand for my progessives with german frames. I think they have high def lenses too. Something like that. They were the only frames I liked; subtle and stylish at the same time. I'm remarkably handsome so I don't depend on eyewear to distract from flaws. I only wear them at the office. I look very intelligent so they are worth every cent. I'm actually a vapid trustafarian. But I'm a very attractive one, so it's okay and I don't flaunt my wealth at all.

by Anonymousreply 5401/15/2012

my sunglasses cost $25,000.

by Anonymousreply 5501/15/2012

What R43 said... I thought my glasses were ridiculously expensive at around $400 - and that was almost 5 years ago. It's about time to get a new pair and this is a bit scary.

by Anonymousreply 5601/15/2012

r29, funny you should ask. I just received a pair of Warby Parker frames today. They're going back on Tuesday. They are Chinese made, feel super cheap, were bent, and the temple pieces were very obviously two different lengths. They don't even fold up.

No quality control, typical of a Chinese drop ship enterprise. Avoid.

by Anonymousreply 5701/15/2012

I recently 'spent' about $500 for exam, lenses, and frames after not having glasses for nearly 20 years, out of pocket was about $125 after insurance. I'm glad just to have something to knock around the house in without having to deal with contacts. Was more expensive than I thought it would be. Oh, and how do glasses just 'break'? Does that happen to the same people that just toss their phones around then bitch that they just, 'broke'? I hope so.

by Anonymousreply 5801/15/2012

At the risk of pedantry:

Most people can open a HSA for themselves at the same bank they bank at, have a small amount deposited into it regularly, and at least buy glasses and contact lenses on a pre-tax basis. This will save you whatever bracket you're in on the cost of the glasses in real terms.

The other thing is that Costco really does have some decent looking frames for those who don't wear them all the time and they're all under $150 for the frames. It would not be difficult to get a pair of glasses there for under $200.

Disposable contacts are also cheap at Costco. I pay about $68 for a 90 day supply. The great benefit of disposable contacts: you don't have to buy solution, you don't have to haul a bunch of contact accessories with you when you travel, and your eyes will be much, much healthier.

by Anonymousreply 5901/15/2012

I was thinking of lasix surgery. Right now I need progressives,the tinted, anti-glare, etc. whatevers. I spent more than $400 three years ago,the majority of it on lens. I went to Costco for the pair before that and ended up paying $250. With insurance.

I figure if I get lasix, I can correct part of the problem, and maybe get away with wearing some reading glasses as needed which would still be cheaper in the long run. Still thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 6001/15/2012

[quote]I suppose Walmart's prices are so low because they pay their workers peon wages, because I don't know of any eyeglass store which will give you a complete pair of eyeglasses for only $145, at least not here in NY or even in LA or most major US cities!

It might also have to do with the fact there are a quadrillion WalMart stores around the world and they keep the costs low through volume.

by Anonymousreply 6101/15/2012

What? You think the people making OP's glasses were paid anymore?

by Anonymousreply 6201/15/2012

Is Costco really worth it? They always seem shady. I went into one once, filled my cart and then when I went to check out they told me that I needed to buy a membership to make the purchase. They could have told me as I entered or put up a sign explaining this before I shopped---but the idea was to get me at the end when I would not want to abandon my full cart.

A month ago got a notice that I could get a membership at Costco. For $110 dollars. (Does anyone spend enough in any one store to make $110 for the privilege of shopping worthwhile?)

So add that $110 on to any price you get there.

The whole thing seems so scammy that I am not surprised that their glasses break.

by Anonymousreply 6301/15/2012

[quote]They could have told me as I entered or put up a sign explaining this before I shopped---

As you entered the store, there is a person at the door checking for membership cards.

Apparently you sneaked past him/her.

by Anonymousreply 6401/15/2012

I think (by law) Costco has to let you in without membership for the eye exam, you can't buy anything else, though.

by Anonymousreply 6501/15/2012

R63, you get cash back on Costco purchases at the end of the year. My family spends around 600 bucks a month at Costco, we do 90% of our shopping there. At the end of the year, we get a rebate for about 350 dollars. That pays for the next year's membership plus almost half of loading up two carts worth of supplies.

by Anonymousreply 6601/15/2012

Not only do we stock up on supplies there, we get our glasses, our prescriptions, home furnishings, auto work, etc. done there as well.

by Anonymousreply 6701/15/2012

You don't need a membership for the pharmacy.

by Anonymousreply 6801/15/2012

The eye-care industry is a scam. Almost 90% of it is owned by Italian firm Luxxotica.

Get an eye exam and then buy your frames and lenses online with your prescription details. It will save you about 70%.

We're talking about GLASS and PLASTIC for the most part here - they should NOT cost $400 to $1000 a pair.

by Anonymousreply 6901/15/2012

r29 - I had great luck with Warby Parker. You pick out five frames online that you think might look good, and they send them to you (with clear glass) postage paid both ways. You try them on and make your choice.

The prescription glasses arrived in under a week. They fit well and looked good (because I had the chance to try them on first). WP also has a Facebook page where you can upload pix of yourself in the clear frames to get other people's opinions.

The base price is $99 - I have a strong prescription so it was $129. Still a bargain and the frames are top quality.

I also had pretty good luck with Zenni, which is even cheaper, but the glasses can take 4-6 weeks to arrive from China and there's no way to try them on first or check the progress of your order. You just order and wait.

This is one of the frames I got from Warby Parker (I ordered several).

by Anonymousreply 7001/15/2012

If you can afford lasix and you have a good doctor. I say get it. It's really so nice to not have to wear glasses or contacts.

by Anonymousreply 7101/15/2012

I went to Costco with a friend who got her glasses there. Frames start at about $60. Their highest quality lenses are 1.67, they don't do 1.74. Their sunglasses are polycarbonate only, which means if you are a high prescription, you can't get them there. I also noticed some of the frames were very thin and flimsy. On the other hand, they have some designer frames for around $179, Pucci, Armani, and some Ray Ban reading glasses, not a lot.

It turned out the optician there had originally had his own shop elsewhere, retired and went to work part time for Costco. My friend had some done there and some at Lenscrafters, she said the Costco glasses seemed clearer and she's very happy with them. They will also put new lenses in old frames there without bitching, as long as they're just a couple years old.

I hear you about the LaFont frames, I love them, but the price is ridiculous. You can buy them online and pay less. Also, go to the Sears website, surprisingly they sell LaFont frames online, but not at the store. Look at their frame selection, their prices for designer frames are much lower than elsewhere. They also have a lot of other designer frames.

I also paid $1000 a pair, and the frames were cheap. One set was a Ray Ban frame I already had and they were still over $900. I feel for you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7201/15/2012

[quote]Get an eye exam and then buy your frames and lenses online with your prescription details. It will save you about 70%.

I couldn't imagine buying frames online unless I already have a model in mind. It is something where I really need to see how they look on me in person.

by Anonymousreply 7301/15/2012

R63 is an idiot and, I'm guessing, is also very, very old.

by Anonymousreply 7401/15/2012

so go to a store and try on frames, get the model number of the ones you like and then order them online. that's what I did with Gucci frames and then had an eye exam and lenses put in at Target. No problems. Saved about $500 and I have progressive lenses.

by Anonymousreply 7501/15/2012

I found a pair of glasses I see perfectly through. Some one left them at a bus stop and I put them on because they were so pretty. Wow, was I surprised that I could see much better and able to read small print. I've been using them for almost two years. I know I'll need a new pair eventually, but there haven't been any other glasses left at my bus stop since. I was thinking of leaving a note at the bus stop thanking my mysterious benefactor in hopes he might leave another pair. I could never afford a replacement pair like these as the optician at Lens Crafters said they would cost over a $1000.00 to replace.

by Anonymousreply 7601/15/2012

r76 = Umpy

by Anonymousreply 7701/15/2012

I'm like R43 with respect to my vision problems (not a candidate for LASIK, extremely nearsighted, etc). I tried contacts, and hated them. I spend over $1,000 for a pair of glasses. I admit that the frames I like are a chunk of the cost. However, I need to have special lenses made, which also contribute substantially to the cost. It's almost as if nuns in Belgium are handcrafting them.

by Anonymousreply 7801/15/2012

OP...I got new glasses with progressive lenses and titanium frames made by Hugo Boss. My total bill was about $450.

For $1,000, are your glasses 14-karat gold?

by Anonymousreply 7901/15/2012

What can you possibly spend $600 a month on at Costco? Or any store for that matter?

by Anonymousreply 8001/16/2012

groceries, tires, prescriptions, foods, canned goods, meats, frozen goods, produce, alcohol - wine, beer, liquor, tv sets, furniture, toiletries, books, clothing, for an entire family.

by Anonymousreply 8101/17/2012

I can see maybe spending $600 a month, but every month--that is $7200 a year.

I only buy one television a decade and only a couple bottles of liquor a year, so maybe that drives my expenditures down.

by Anonymousreply 8201/17/2012

Costco has the best produce in town, albeit in larger quantities than I usually buy. When I have a dinner party, I shop there. Between that, prescriptions, detergent, other groceries, it's worth the membership, even for a single person.

by Anonymousreply 8301/17/2012

It is worth $110 dollars? Are the bargains that good?

by Anonymousreply 8401/17/2012

My Costco membership only costs $55 a year for two cards, why is yours twice the amount?

by Anonymousreply 8502/01/2012

imagine how people are laughing at your insecurity behind your back, op. SAD

by Anonymousreply 8602/01/2012

A friend of mine has a sister who is a resident in opthamology. She talked their mother into having LASIK and now their mother sees halos and glare around lights and can't drive after dark.

by Anonymousreply 8702/01/2012

[quote]I think (by law) Costco has to let you in without membership for the eye exam, you can't buy anything else, though.

The optometrist at my local Costco has a separate entrance. You never actually go into the Costco until you're ready to buy the frames (and even then you have to show your membership card to the greeter).

by Anonymousreply 8802/01/2012

by Anonymousreply 8902/01/2012

I buy mine at the Dolloar Tree for $1. That leaves $999 dollars for more important things like food and health insurance.

by Anonymousreply 9005/07/2013

Glasses are such a racket someone explain to me why plastic frames with a chanel stamp cost $350.

by Anonymousreply 9105/07/2013

Progressive eyeglasses are expensive, around $1000.

by Anonymousreply 9205/07/2013

Eyebuy Direct is great, I order from them all the time, no problems, lots of compliments on my frames. They have great sales, I usually spend around $35.00 - $50.00 for a pair. I can buy TEN pair for what one pair would be at Lenscrafters and places like that.

by Anonymousreply 9305/07/2013

It sounds like I have the same vision issues as OP. LASIK is not an option. But you know what is? Contacts. You can get one lens for distance, one for near, and your brain sorts it out. Total cost for the year: $100

by Anonymousreply 9405/07/2013

Sorry OP, bit you're either a conspicuous consumer or a really uneducated consumer.

I spend money on durable glasses - not the Walmart cheapies - and I've never paid more than $500 total (incl. copay for exam).

by Anonymousreply 9505/07/2013

You have to pay a bit more if you want nice-looking frames.

by Anonymousreply 9605/07/2013

No you don't that's a myth. They are plastic.

by Anonymousreply 9705/07/2013

Oh, and the other thing about contacts is they dont go out of style, unlike OP's frames which by this time next year will look unfashionable.

by Anonymousreply 9805/07/2013

Another Zenni fan here. I've had good luck with their single vision polycarbonate titaniam frame glasses at about $30-35 delivered.

by Anonymousreply 9905/07/2013

[quote] Oh, and how do glasses just 'break'?

Honest! They just fell apart in my hands!

by Anonymousreply 10005/07/2013

So much for glasses making people look more intelligent . . .

by Anonymousreply 10105/07/2013

glasses have gotten so expensive that, frankly, you're a fool if you don't go ahead and get the lasik surgery. it will pay for itself in a few years and you WILL NEVER HAVE TO WEAR GLASSES AGAIN.

by Anonymousreply 10205/07/2013

R102 LASIK doesn't work for everybody.

by Anonymousreply 10305/07/2013

yes, actually, it does. the type of surgery you can have depends on the thickness of your corneas, but everybody can have it.

by Anonymousreply 10405/07/2013

some people have problems after that eye surgery

by Anonymousreply 10505/07/2013

My friend had to have a corneal transplant from a botched LASIK.

by Anonymousreply 10605/07/2013

I would never do LASIK. My job depends on my eyesight, and if anything went wrong with the surgery (which does happen) I would lose my livelihood.

r102/104, you're a complete asshole for telling people they're fools if they don't have [italic]elective[/italic] surgery.

by Anonymousreply 10705/07/2013

Ick. Poor people's problems. The hoy palloi spend more.

by Anonymousreply 10805/07/2013

OP, you DO realize that no one is ever impressed by how much anyone's glasses cost, don't you? That no one cares? You do know that, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 10905/07/2013

it's Hoi Polloi dear.

by Anonymousreply 11005/07/2013

R111. Of course it is. Auto correct is evil. Point stands.

by Anonymousreply 11105/07/2013

God dammit. R110

by Anonymousreply 11205/07/2013

Auto-correct doesn't know Hoi Polloi? Auto-correct sucks.

by Anonymousreply 11305/07/2013

r107, no YOU"RE a complete asshole from discouraging people from a surgery that has been done successfully over and over for thirty years simply because you're too much of a coward to do it yourself. Now fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 11405/07/2013

R104 my eye doctor is in a group that does LASIK. If there was a chance it would work for me, they would be more than happy to zap my eyes and bill me for that rather than the paltry $100 I give them once a year for a check up. Every year I ask, and every year the answer is the same. Its not for me.

by Anonymousreply 11505/07/2013

When I went to the doctor who does the majority of the Lasik procedures in my city, he said I was not a good candidate for the surgery.

by Anonymousreply 11605/07/2013

$76 for exam, lenses a wide variety of nice looking frames at Sams Club.

by Anonymousreply 11705/07/2013

YEP It's not for everyone why is that poster being such an ass?

by Anonymousreply 11805/07/2013

I thought corneal transplants didn't require anti-rejection drugs because corneal tissue is not vascular enough for the body to recognize it as foreign tissue.

by Anonymousreply 11905/07/2013

Welp, you thought wrong R119 because ya have to take steroids.

by Anonymousreply 12005/07/2013

My glasses were about $300 and I thought that was a ton to pay. Ray ban frames and "normal" lenses (with no anti-reflective glare coating, as it was peeling off)

by Anonymousreply 12105/07/2013

Why was this thread bumped up from well over a year ago? I can't believe some of you are still berating an OP from so long ago.

by Anonymousreply 12205/07/2013

OP, if you can afford it, knock yourself out. I've got friends who spend more than that for the frames. I went to Lenscrafters recently, got a pair of clearance frames but because of my complicated and peculiar prescription still cost me about $500.

by Anonymousreply 12305/07/2013

I wear contacts but also buy glasses for days when I don't want to/can't wear my contacts.

My optometrist said that LASIK or any vision correction surgery is best done before the age of 40. If it's done after that age, you will indeed still need some type of glasses.

I usually have my contacts covered by my insurance. With what I'm reading here, I may just go to BJ's (similar to Costco) and get my glasses there. They don't need to be this year's "in" frames.

As for the poster who said "open an HSA," in response to saving for glasses, you can only open an HSA if you are enrolled in a high-deductible health plan (HDHP).

by Anonymousreply 12405/08/2013

I bought my last two pairs of frames at Classic Specs and Warby Parker. They cost $69 and $75 respectively, because they're not owned by eyewear monopolist Luxotica.

I get the lenses made locally, as I need progressive lenses and I like Crizal.

Brings the total for a pair of glasses to under $300 with insurance.

by Anonymousreply 12505/08/2013

You should ordered through Zenni optical online.

by Anonymousreply 12605/08/2013

Very few health insurance policies cover glasses, or even the doctor's visits to prescribe the glasses.

by Anonymousreply 12705/08/2013

Under $50.00 from EyeBuy they look like $1000 designer glasses and the same quality plastic.

by Anonymousreply 12805/08/2013

About $320 at Costco for progressive and transition glasses. Great glasses, but bought a pair with same type lenses from Zennis for $127 as backup glasses and equally pleased. I have bad eyesight on top of it And pay for the thin lenses.

by Anonymousreply 12905/08/2013

A fool and his money are soon parted...

by Anonymousreply 13005/08/2013

Don't progressive lenses need to be carefully fitted? I've always had this done when picking up new glasses, and almost always the arms need to be heated and slightly reformed or the nose pads adjusted in order to sit properly. How can this happen with a mail order set of glasses?

by Anonymousreply 13105/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!