Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do Big Macs taste the same no matter which McDonald's you go to?

For the matter, how do chain restaurants make certain that all of their menu items taste exactly the same? A Big Mac in California tastes the same as a Big Mac in Mississippi. How is that possible?

by Anonymousreply 110January 16, 2012 12:24 AM

How is not possible when all the ingredients are exactly the same?

Only differences are freshness of the ingredients and if the item is cooked slightly differently (overcooked, undercooked) from place to place.

So, most will taste very similar, with exceptions here and there.

by Anonymousreply 1January 11, 2012 3:07 AM

All of the restaurants are required to buy the beef patties and other ingredients from the same supplier. It basically IS the same food, just cooked in a different location.

by Anonymousreply 2January 11, 2012 3:10 AM

It's the same ingredients but it's not always made the same. Cuter boys make better Big Macs.

by Anonymousreply 3January 11, 2012 3:16 AM

And it's cooked basically by robots, with timers, so it's very consistent.

The sauce is applied with a gun so it's always the same amount.

That sort of thing. It's assembly line food.

by Anonymousreply 4January 11, 2012 3:17 AM

Well not all, I grew up in New York and McDonald's hamburgers did not have mustard on them. In fact I never knew they even did until I traveled and was repulsed. So in that instance NY did not taste the same as LA.

by Anonymousreply 5January 11, 2012 3:25 AM

All McDonald's hamburgers and cheesebugers have the same 5 dots of mustard on them.

by Anonymousreply 6January 11, 2012 3:29 AM

I like mustard on my burger.

Wouldn't eat at McDonald's if my life depended on it.

by Anonymousreply 7January 11, 2012 3:31 AM

OP,

You type fat.

by Anonymousreply 8January 11, 2012 3:34 AM

The South uses GRISTLY and HAIRY ham in its Egg McMuffins.

GROSS.

by Anonymousreply 9January 11, 2012 3:35 AM

Pink slime is pink slime, like motor oil is motor oil.

by Anonymousreply 10January 11, 2012 3:39 AM

[quote]All of the restaurants are required to buy the beef patties and other ingredients from the same supplier.

Not quite. McDonald's has hundreds of individual beef suppliers (and chickens, potatoes, etc.), and they ship on a regional basis. The reason all McDonald's food -- and, for that matter, all national fast-food chains, period -- tastes the same is because the flavor doesn't at all come from the actual core ingredients, but rather taste flavors concocted in labs generally along the same strip in northern New Jersey. They taste-test foods for months with scientific precision before developing a formula -- and it literally *is* a formula -- for each product.

The only exception I'm aware of, in McDonald's case, where food tastes are not generic is France, because the French are so anal (in a good way) about food; each McD's chain uses local suppliers for its meat and veg.

by Anonymousreply 11January 11, 2012 3:42 AM

I would love to sample some of the limited edition "burgers" that they have in different countries. My brother tried some kind of "McShrimp" in Singapore and said it was absolutely delicious. Like fried shrimp from a real seafood restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 12January 11, 2012 3:46 AM

OP is apparently a little "slow."

by Anonymousreply 13January 11, 2012 3:52 AM

Foot Channel or Discovery or one of those channels did an hour long program of McDonald's foods from around the world.

The items from India seem really interesting. And yeah, that shrimp burger also looks awesome.

by Anonymousreply 14January 11, 2012 3:55 AM

[quote]GRISTLY and HAIRY ham

gross

by Anonymousreply 15January 11, 2012 3:59 AM

If a McDonalds employee in Australia shits on a tray and serves it to you, and a US employee shits on a tray and serves it to you, it's going to taste the same. The same principle applies to their Big Macs.

by Anonymousreply 16January 11, 2012 4:02 AM

[quote]Foot Channel or Discovery[/quote]

Oh, Dear!

by Anonymousreply 17January 11, 2012 4:08 AM

OP--no matter what one thinks of McDonalds, you have pinpointed their one greatest transgression. They pioneered the idea that quality be sacrificed to quality control.

You will never experience the best Big Mac you've ever eaten. That's intentional. The important thing is that no matter which McDonalds you visit, the product will be the same. Not good. The same.

As a result, we've become a society that deals in managing expectations, as opposed to living up to expectations. How many of us work at companies that have no concern for quality but worship "Quality Assurance," which is nothing more than a corporate circle jerk? If you're a victim of the cult of Agile, you'll know what I'm talking about.

A Big Mac is not supposed to be good--it's supposed to be a Big Mac.

by Anonymousreply 18January 11, 2012 4:14 AM

Has the Foot Channel done anything on Justin Bieber's feet yet?

by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2012 4:17 AM

I'm glad you brought this up, because I've been wondering about their coffee.

It's good, too good and too consistent. I know they claim it's fresh brewed, but I think they spike it with flavor crystals or whatever you want to call it to give it a little extra jolt and make it taste the same at every McDonald's.

by Anonymousreply 20January 11, 2012 4:18 AM

When the first McDonald's opened, the founder realized that profits often fluctuated despite consistent demand and delivery because each cook had his own way of measuring, prepping, and cooking the raw ingredients. He instituted portion control to make sure each burger delivered contained the same weight patty, the same amount of lettuce, etc. This way, 100 lbs of raw hamburger 400 buns, 1200 pickle slices, 600 quarter inch onion slices, 2 quarts of ketchup and 1 quart of sauce would create 400 quarter pounders. The next step was consistency in cooking and delivery, and developing tools that would dispense the same amount of product quickly and without need to measure.

I notice it is all down to a science except for the fries -- there is a tool to dispense the fries into a standard size package, but the amount will often vary depending on how sloppy the clerk is in using it.

by Anonymousreply 21January 11, 2012 2:18 PM

I've found McDonald's coffee to be the best among the fast foot chains. It tastes less bitter to me than the others' and has more roasted flavor. It's also fresher. They don't let it sit around.

by Anonymousreply 22January 11, 2012 2:33 PM

In some countries, like Brazil, they have McDelivery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 11, 2012 2:34 PM

I worked for McDs for three years when I was in HS and college. As indicated above, a key is consistency. Nearly all of the supplies came from one supplier (Martin Brower) which was the official distributor for the region. There was one bakery that supplied the buns all the stores in MA, CT and RI. Another distributor supplied the fresh dairy product (shake and ice cream mix). Local stores found their own suppliers for carton milk, eggs, and fresh produce (lettuce, onions, tomatoes).

There were also computers/timers that controlled the timing for everything (when to sear the burgers, when to flip the burgers, when to toast the buns, when to shake the fries, etc). The temperatures of the vats and grills were calibrated regularly (several times a week) to maintain consistency.

The uniformity of the supplies and the timers helped ensure that a burger bought on Monday am in Boston would be nearly identical to one on Tuesday in rural Texas.

For the Big Mac, the meat, cheese, pickles, sauce, and reconstituted onions came from the central supplier. Only the bun would have been manufactured locally and recently.

by Anonymousreply 24January 11, 2012 2:36 PM

[quote]I've found McDonald's coffee to be the best among the fast foot chains.

It (of course) isn't as good as quality coffee shops but I do think this is true. When I am on the go McDonalds becomes my go to place to pick up a quick coffee. Still don't like their food really (other than egg mcmuffin!) but the coffee hits the spot.

by Anonymousreply 25January 11, 2012 2:43 PM

They would call it "quality control". They do all taste the same although nothing like a grilled hamburger.

by Anonymousreply 26January 11, 2012 2:46 PM

OP, there's a book you need to read. I promise it's not boring or overly technical. You can find it at your local library; I'm also linking the Amazon page for it. It precisely and exactingly answers your question. It's 'Fast Food Nation' by Eric Schlosser.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 11, 2012 3:01 PM

[quote]All McDonald's hamburgers and cheesebugers have the same 5 dots of mustard on them.

They might now because I haven't been back to LI in years but sorry, we grew up and up until the late 80's when I left there was no mustard on McDonald's or Burger King. The first chain to introduce mustard on a burger on Long Island was Wendy's and you had to ask for it. FACT.

by Anonymousreply 28January 11, 2012 3:04 PM

I work as a taste-tester/flavor analyst, and one of the things I do for many large food companies is evaluate samples of their products from different production failities and document minute differences.

The tests I perform often use multiple samples from each facility, so differences from within the facility/outlet can be ascertained, then compared with other outlets.

It's amazing that even with the same ingredients, including water, humidity and temperature controls, etc., I can do blind tests on several products from multiple facilities and show statistical difference among production locations.

The companies use that information to work on quality control.

As you might guess, tasting all that commercially processed, mass-produced food (I don't swallow it; standard industry practice is to spit out every sample), I generally eat fresh vegetables and fruits in my non-working environment, mostly raw and mostly vegan.

by Anonymousreply 29January 11, 2012 3:08 PM

can tell you about the buns. I used to bake them for McDonald's in 3 states.

They tell you the formula they want you to use, they tell you the approved ingredients, they give you 3 ring notebooks with color photos showing the color they want (top, sides, bottom and interior), the height of the bun, the texture of the interior, the degree of arch (crown) the top of the bun should have (high crown for the Big Mac, low crown for the quarter pounder and hamburger bun), the exact placement of the slice (cleanly sliced with no evidence of tearing or crumbs), and the proper quantity of sesame seeds as well as the correct placement of those seeds (evenly distributed on the top with no seeds on the sides, or God forbid, the bottom of the bun). It goes on and on and on. Trust me, I'm not even giving you the tip of the iceberg here.

Then you FedEx them samples of your buns on a regular basis, the individual stores also send samples of the buns to make sure you're not cheating, and every few months a McDonald's inspector shows up unannounced at your door and does a surprise inspection of your facility that's much tougher than Federal Food and Drug inspections. The McDonald's inspector knows exactly what to look for as far as sanitation, and they will also inspect your ingredients to make sure you're following every line of those three ring notebooks. They'll watch your production, and you will sit down with them and discuss individual buns like bottles of fine wine.

I know it's a hot button around here, but McDonald's NEVER allowed high fructose corn syrup in their buns. It was pure cane sugar all the way. I'll give them credit, they wanted quality and consistency. Price was always secondary to them.

I'll also say this, they would be the first to help you if you had problems meeting their standards You were part of their team, and they made you feel like it Other companies (Yes, I'm talking about you, Wal-Mart) could learn from them.

by Anonymousreply 30January 11, 2012 3:39 PM

R4 from the other thread, just wanted to say how much I love your posts. I hereby christen thee CBT: Commercial Bakery Troll. Keep up the good work!

by Anonymousreply 31January 11, 2012 4:11 PM

[quote]I'll give them credit, they wanted quality and consistency.

I'll give them credit too despite the fact their white bread buns are some of the most unhealthy foods on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 32January 11, 2012 4:27 PM

[quote]You will never experience the best Big Mac you've ever eaten. That's intentional. The important thing is that no matter which McDonalds you visit, the product will be the same. Not good. The same.

That's the key to their success. People travelling could go to a fast food chain restaurant and know exactly what they are going to be served. Most people do not value novelty and are uncomfortable spending money at a strange restaurant where they don't know the quality of the food.

by Anonymousreply 33January 11, 2012 4:38 PM

Why are the white buns so unhealthy? What's wrong with them?

by Anonymousreply 34January 11, 2012 4:48 PM

Here's fun website showing one of their plants in Russia, and it has photos of one of the Bun Notebooks I mentioned above. Also, the infamous Bun Gauge that I had forgotten about (scroll about 2/3rds of the way down.

There's a photo of a bun, and if you've been following, you now know that bun has minor issues--seed placement on the sides, and a rough upper cut. Looks a touch small, too. Nice color though. B+

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 11, 2012 4:54 PM

Remember the Arch Deluxe? Why did they stop selling that?

by Anonymousreply 36January 11, 2012 4:55 PM

Why do Big Macs taste the same no matter which McDonald's you go to?

The same reason why everyone's shit stinks.

by Anonymousreply 37January 11, 2012 4:56 PM

Would you say they are anal about their buns?

by Anonymousreply 38January 11, 2012 4:59 PM

I thought it was hysterical when McD's opened stores in Ireland and actually tried to pressure the Irish restaurants to purchase their potatoes from Chile (or was it Argentina?) because potatoes from there had the correct sugar content to brown properly. Um, McD's was talked out of that bright idea.

by Anonymousreply 39January 11, 2012 5:59 PM

Both My brother and I worked at McDs on Long Island in the 80s. They all used mustard.

by Anonymousreply 40January 11, 2012 7:44 PM

Me so hungry now.

by Anonymousreply 41January 12, 2012 12:35 AM

They don't taste the same in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 42January 12, 2012 12:41 AM

Even Coke tastes different in Germany. They use a different formula in the Coke factories.

by Anonymousreply 43January 12, 2012 12:59 AM

[quote]They might now because I haven't been back to LI in years but sorry, we grew up and up until the late 80's when I left there was no mustard on McDonald's or Burger King. The first chain to introduce mustard on a burger on Long Island was Wendy's and you had to ask for it. FACT.

This is such bullshit.

I have eaten in these places all over the country, since they first opened, and they have ALWAY ([italic][bold]ALWAYS[/bold][/italic]) come standard with mustard.

by Anonymousreply 44January 12, 2012 1:16 AM

Seriously, what kind of weird fuck doesn't like mustard on a burger?!?

by Anonymousreply 45January 12, 2012 1:18 AM

Buy 'Em by the Sackful!

Yerm!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 12, 2012 1:27 AM

Thanks to the CBT, the food taster and those who have imparted their fast food prep knowledge here. I just love threads like this. Going out for fast food has become such a mundane experience for Americans, as Ray Kroc set out to accomplish, in a way, but the details and the process are fascinating to me. Bun gauge? Really? Wow!

I also enjoyed the now departed thread about the cattle rancher in Oregon. Whether he is who he said he is became a point of contention (of course), but the discussion and the information about contemporary farming and ranching was very interesting.

Next? Maybe we have posters familiar with the mining industry...

by Anonymousreply 47January 12, 2012 2:01 AM

[quote]This is such bullshit.I have eaten in these places all over the country, since they first opened, and they have ALWAY (ALWAYS) come standard with mustard.

Bitch, please. I spent thirty years on Long Island and then next ten in Manhattan. McDonald's and Burger King or any other restaurant did NOT put mustard on their burgers, ever. Not even an option. Like I said I never even thought of doing it until I traveled to LA. Here is a forum that I did not participate in, I just Googled "McDonald's does not put mustard on their east coast burgers".

by Anonymousreply 48January 12, 2012 2:06 AM

Again, what kind of fucking FREAK doesn't put mustard on their bugers?

Since I ate on the east coast, it must have been a very weird little enclave of these 'mustard-free' burgers.... yet you talk like that was NORMAL. It's not normal. IT's beyond freakish.

by Anonymousreply 49January 12, 2012 2:29 AM

Just more evidence of clueless insular navel-gazing New Yorkers having no fucking clue what goes on in the whole rest of the country, thinking some utterly bizarre quirk of their local environment is universal.

THIS is why we fucking hate you, you fucking idiot New York City asshats.

YES, MCDONALDS PUTS MUSTARD ON ITS BURGERS. ALWAYS HAS. EVERYWHERE.*

(except maybe, though not exactly believably, in some areas of NYC)

by Anonymousreply 50January 12, 2012 2:34 AM

Mustard is for hot dogs, catsup for burgers.

by Anonymousreply 51January 12, 2012 2:34 AM

NO MUSTARD ON THE BURGER!

by Anonymousreply 52January 12, 2012 2:40 AM

I imagine shit tastes the same everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 53January 12, 2012 2:40 AM

99.9% of the country has mustard on their burgers.

Thus: You're wrong.

And decidedly weird.

EVERY McDonald's I've EVER been to (including one in NYC) has had mustard on its cheeseburgers and quarter pounders.

Period. End of discussion. You're just wrong.

by Anonymousreply 54January 12, 2012 2:44 AM

My father was asked to leave a McDonald's after making a scene over the fact that the girl refused to give him ketchup for his Egg McMuffin.

by Anonymousreply 55January 12, 2012 2:46 AM

How does a simple fun thread about fast food, turn into a shitting match about whether or not you can get mustard on a burger in NYC?

by Anonymousreply 56January 12, 2012 3:20 AM

Now shut the fuck up and move on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 12, 2012 4:10 AM

Only morons don't put mustard on burgers.

by Anonymousreply 58January 13, 2012 5:49 AM

Seriously, if I ordered a quarter pounder with cheese from McDonalds, and it didn't have mustard on it, I'd send it back.

How boring is a burger with just ketchum, pickle, and onion?!?

by Anonymousreply 59January 13, 2012 5:52 AM

[quote]How boring is a burger with just ketchum

I resemble that remark!

by Anonymousreply 60January 13, 2012 6:20 AM

Damn, this thread is making me hungry. And I don't even like McDonald's.

by Anonymousreply 61January 13, 2012 6:56 AM

If you travel interstate highways, you are never more than 30 miles from a McDonald's.

I find that comforting.

by Anonymousreply 62January 13, 2012 8:24 AM

While I cannot speak for Long Island, From 1977-81 when I worked for McDs in RI, mustard indeed went on the burgers. We had an instruments on the prep table that delivered pre-determined quantities of mustard and ketchup. This tool had two buttons (one you used for regular hamburgers/cheeseburgers to deliver one dose, and the other button for quarter pounders). Similarly, regular burgers (also known as 10:1s since 10 frozen patties equaled one pound) received one pickle and the 4:1s (quarter pounders) received 2 pickles and fresh onions from the prep table.

Mustard was also part of the training videos (yes, there was a library of training videos for practically every task that we were encouraged to watch). The videos came out of the national headquarters in Oak Park, IL.

Different store practices would account for regional tastes. For example, at my store if you ordered coffee, it came with cream already (again a predetermined quantity from the creamer). A customer would have to order "black coffee". Menus would also vary a bit. We always sold coffee shakes (a 4th flavor). When seasonal flavors came out (cherry in February, Green in March, Eggnog in December), we would take Vanilla off the menu since it was always the lowest seller.

by Anonymousreply 63January 13, 2012 9:20 AM

Fries don't taste the same everywhere, though. In the UK they are pale, browning at the edges, when not undercooked, and almost always soggy. In Germany and Ukraine they were crisp and even coloured, although that colour was the most unnatural yellow I had seen in a potato.

I loved seeing the horrified looks on American tourists when they came into McDonalds anywhere in Europe and saw the portion sizes.

by Anonymousreply 64January 13, 2012 10:55 AM

r63, r24 - Ray Kroc was from Oak Park. McDonald's headquarters in is Oak Brook. There is a slight difference.

by Anonymousreply 65January 13, 2012 11:58 AM

Many other industries apply the same McDonald's model of consistency (they even call it a McDonald's approach), namely tourism (Royal Caribbean, Hyatt, Marriot Courtyard, Holiday Inn) and retail (Home Depot, Walgreen's, Walmart, K-Mart, etc).

You walk into one, you've walked into them all.

by Anonymousreply 66January 13, 2012 12:44 PM

[quote]I loved seeing the horrified looks on American tourists when they came into McDonalds anywhere in Europe and saw the portion sizes.

I was in an Austrian MsD's and watched in fascination as a local lady ate her Big Mac one layer at a time.

by Anonymousreply 67January 13, 2012 1:23 PM

McDLT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 13, 2012 1:25 PM

"Seriously, if I ordered a quarter pounder with cheese from McDonalds, and it didn't have mustard on it, I'd send it back.

How boring is a burger with just ketchum, pickle, and onion?!?"

In NYC, Quarter Pounders do NOT come with mustard. They come with cheese, ketchup and onions. Other burgers have mustard, but quarter pounders do not. Neither do Big Macs.

by Anonymousreply 69January 13, 2012 1:59 PM

A friend and I stopped into a McDs in Germany just to get a Coke. We got on different lines. When I ordered my Coke in German, it came with a small amount of ice. When she ordered her Coke speaking English, the ice portion was like we get in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 70January 13, 2012 2:04 PM

I worked there as a teenager in the early 80s and the food was so much better back then. The buns were toasted and if a sandwich wasn't sold in 10 minutes or something (I forget) it was supposed to sold out. Somewhere along the way they changed something. To cater to the special order crowd I think the burgers seem to sit in some kind of drawer now and are "assembled" to order and the buns and meat are barely above room temperature.

by Anonymousreply 71January 13, 2012 2:25 PM

[quote]Neither do Big Macs

Of course not. No big mac anywhere comes with mustard. Duh.

But yeah, if I order a Quarter Pounder and don't get mustard on it, it's not made right. I'm sending it back until they make it right.

by Anonymousreply 72January 14, 2012 3:48 AM

[quote]we would take Vanilla off the menu since it was always the lowest seller.

Wow, really? I love McDonald's vanilla shakes and they're the only ones I order. The others (Strawberry and Chocolate) taste nothing like strawberry or chocolate... and in fact sorta taste like chemical-flavored ass.

I did love the "Wild Raspberry" shake they did one year (and then never again). And I haven't seen a shamrock shake in a decade or more. Seems like most of them don't do that any more.

by Anonymousreply 73January 14, 2012 3:52 AM

For the record, I'm American and I eat my Big Macs one layer at a time. I've done it that way forever.

by Anonymousreply 74January 14, 2012 4:07 AM

That's weird. Truly weird.

by Anonymousreply 75January 14, 2012 4:11 AM

[quote]In NYC, Quarter Pounders do NOT come with mustard. They come with cheese, ketchup and onions.

Yes they do.

by Anonymousreply 76January 14, 2012 4:18 AM

For the novelty of it, I went to Beijing's biggest McDonald's in 1998. I think it was the first one to open in China. I ordered a pepper burger. Never seen it anywhere else. It was actually pretty good. I wonder if McDonald's in China have their own menu?

And yes, I was shocked by how small the portions were the first time I went to McDonald's in Japan. Especially at the prices listed. But have since realized and appreciate how sensible the portions are. I ordered a medium sized drink and the cup they gave me resembled a sample cup in the US. Who really needs to drink 48 ounces of soda anyway?

by Anonymousreply 77January 14, 2012 5:32 AM

R40 is a liar.

No mustard on hamburgers on Long Island or in NYC. Ever. Not in the 80s, not in the 70s nor in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 78January 14, 2012 5:45 AM

You're full of shit, R78.

by Anonymousreply 79January 14, 2012 5:48 AM

Burger King, McDonald's, White Castle, Wendy's and the late Wetson's and Hardee's all accepted the local quirk that NYC and LI do not put mustard on burgers.

Why can't DLers accept this?

Oh..wait..... Why am I asking a board full of self-medicating mental cases this question?

Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 80January 14, 2012 5:57 AM

This is the worst condiment dustup since Duke's vs. Hellmann's

by Anonymousreply 81January 14, 2012 5:58 AM

Because it's so fucked up it's not believable.

Besides, many of us have had burgers in that area that HAD mustard on them, so we know you're lying your asses off.

by Anonymousreply 82January 14, 2012 6:00 AM

As if I needed ANOTHER reason to not visit or move to NYC...

by Anonymousreply 83January 14, 2012 6:01 AM

I worked for McDonald's corporate. No franchisee would be permitted to not put mustard on a burger that requires mustard in the standard menu. The anti-mustard troll, like most Longuylanders, is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 84January 14, 2012 10:07 AM

This thread has me moist as a McMuffin down there!

by Anonymousreply 85January 14, 2012 10:20 AM

I grew up in NYC. I hated mustard as a kid, and would throw a fucking fit if they accidentally put it on my cheeseburger. They ALWAYS had mustard on them.

In fact I would beg my Dad to take us to Burger King instead so I could "have it my way".

Not willing to get in a pissing match, but I was one of those asshole fussy little kids who would pitch a fit if my food wasn't right, and my Dad (God I miss him) would always go get it fixed for me.

NYC from the 70s onward did indeed have mustard on their cheeseburgers, but never on a Big Mac. Only special sauce came on a Big Mac.

Oh, and for all you Kaweens who claim you would "send your food back until they made it right", you're probably getting some special sauce not listed on the menu back with that burger. Just sayin'.

Andy Richter said one time on Conan that when he was a teenager working in Mickey D's some kid pissed in the pickle jar.

I'd bet that happens A LOT.

Bon appetit!

by Anonymousreply 86January 14, 2012 10:29 AM

Here's some McDonald's menu items from around the world:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 14, 2012 10:32 AM

And in case you're still wondering if Asians are wacked, last year they introduced the McDonald's wedding reception. Check out the balloon bridesmaids dresses!

Frankly, I'm surprised some ghetto/white trash family hasn't come up with this in the U.S.

(Yes, I realize this is the most racist thing I've ever posted. I'm hanging my head in shame as I type. At least I didn't say chinks.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 14, 2012 10:44 AM

Burger King in Puerto Rico has the best breakfasts - ham/egg/chees sandwiches on toasted/flattened local bread ("French" bread that we call pan criollo), and heated flattened mallorcas (spanish breakfast pastry consisting of fluffy fresh egg bread, glaze, and powdred sugar, great with coffee). The mallorcas also come with eggs, ham, cheese, etc.

I was surprised the first time I came back to live in the island at how much better BK breakfasts were here (they suck in the mainland, what with everything being basically heated greaseballs with extra butter).

by Anonymousreply 89January 14, 2012 10:45 AM

The fact that Big Macs taste the same everywhere is one of main reasons McDonald's was invented. Before these big fast food chains, travelers and truckers would go from town to town, never knowing where to eat or what the food would be like. The idea behind McD's and other chains is that the food would be consistent from location to location; a Big Mac in Florida would taste the same as a Big Mac in Oregon. You could "depend" on this. Granted, some people have more refined tastes and will note minor differences...but, for most Americans, a Big Mac is going to taste pretty much the same wherever they go.

by Anonymousreply 90January 14, 2012 10:52 AM

I love big macs.

by Anonymousreply 91January 14, 2012 11:17 AM

LOL, R38.

by Anonymousreply 92January 14, 2012 12:17 PM

The $1.00 McDonald double burgers don't have mustard. I always have to ask for mustard.

by Anonymousreply 93January 14, 2012 1:38 PM

[quote]Why can't DLers accept this?

Why can't NYC people seem to accept that mustard is a [italc]standard topping[/italic] everywhere else in the country?

by Anonymousreply 94January 14, 2012 6:17 PM

Enough with the mustard thing!!!

I want you two to die from a mustard overdose!

by Anonymousreply 95January 14, 2012 6:22 PM

I didn't believe the comments about McDonald's hamburgers not having mustard in NY, but I just Googled the words "McDonalds, mustard, New York" and there are many, many sites that seem to confirm this. One site said:

"So I sent an email to everyone in the chain’s U.S. media-relations department asking why it was that New York-area McDonald’s don’t have mustard, where the dividing line is, and if there are any other regional variations on standard burger toppings.

"About a half-hour later I received a statement from Jennifer Nagy, the McDonald’s Marketing Manager for the New York Metro region. It reads:

"Approximately 85 percent of McDonald’s restaurants are owned and operated by independent businesspeople. As independent owners, McDonald’s franchise owners have the authority to make certain operating decisions as they relate to their McDonald’s restaurant operations. Because of regional preference, mustard is not added to the hamburgers in the New York Tri-State area, but customers are able to request mustard when ordering their favorite McDonald’s hamburger."

by Anonymousreply 96January 14, 2012 6:37 PM

Those of you talking about the portions in Europe should try a Happy Meal. They're cheap, and you get a hamburger or cheeseburger, a nice small order of fries, and a tiny little Coke--it's basically what the portions in Europe are.

Plus, you get a cool toy!

by Anonymousreply 97January 14, 2012 6:44 PM

No! It was rubber!

by Anonymousreply 98January 14, 2012 6:59 PM

I've officially given up on them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99January 14, 2012 7:04 PM

I don't give a shit R96. I can go to my local NEW YORK McDonald's and I guarantee you I will get mustard on my cheeseburger.

by Anonymousreply 100January 14, 2012 7:05 PM

ordered a dollar value McDouble burger today. No mustard. Just ketchup, pickle and onion. Had to ask for packets of mustard.

by Anonymousreply 101January 14, 2012 8:21 PM

Does anyone put mustard on their soft pretzels?

by Anonymousreply 102January 14, 2012 8:26 PM

That is Just revolting R102.

by Anonymousreply 103January 14, 2012 8:38 PM

Big soft pretzels? With mustard? OBVIOUSLY.

by Anonymousreply 104January 14, 2012 8:42 PM

Shouldn't they taste the same regardless of locale?

by Anonymousreply 105January 14, 2012 9:35 PM

Oh, no!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106January 14, 2012 9:50 PM

R103, what do you put on soft pretzels?

by Anonymousreply 107January 14, 2012 11:36 PM

I like mustard on soft pretzels.

by Anonymousreply 108January 15, 2012 12:12 AM

East Coast burgers are weird.

by Anonymousreply 109January 15, 2012 5:16 PM

The original McChicken sandwiches were HUGE.

When they brought them back super-downsized as part of the value menu, I still liked them.

Now all you can get are the awful "Hot n' Spicy" McChickens... then slivers of processed chicken dipped in a bright orange chemical-tasting "hot" chemical.

UGH!

I wish to god they still had regular McChicken sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 110January 16, 2012 12:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!