Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BREAKING NEWS: ACTRESS KIM NOVAK RAPED

Screen icon Kim Novak was raped while watching a DVD screener of "The Artist." The actress reports that upon hearing the movie's score, which includes a sampling of Bernard Hermann's love theme, the actress felt a sensation similar to having her vagina or anus forcefully and unwantedly penetrated by a beligerent male.

by Anonymousreply 7905/01/2014

She's just pissed her peer Doris Day is getting all the attention these days.

What a drama queen!

by Anonymousreply 101/09/2012

If that's her reaction to the theme from Vertigo being used in the finale of a romantic comedy, I wonder how Gene Kelly felt about "Singin' in the Rain" being used during a RAPE scene in A Clockwork Orange.

by Anonymousreply 201/09/2012

I'll have you know I was nowhere near her at the time. Cathy was trimming my toenails at the house while I watched "Judge Judy."

by Anonymousreply 301/09/2012

It wasn't "rape, rape."

by Anonymousreply 401/09/2012

You have to wonder if she started channelling her Lylah Clare character and said "Get Your FEELTHEE HANDS OFF ME!"

by Anonymousreply 501/09/2012

Well, I felt pretty violated having to watch Kim chew up all the scenery on "Falcon Crest"!

by Anonymousreply 601/09/2012

Wish it were me doing the diddlin'

by Anonymousreply 701/09/2012

Does she feel 'plowed' every time she hears "Moonglow" using George Duning's iconic love theme from PICNIC as counterpoint?

by Anonymousreply 801/09/2012

Thread title = MARY!!!!

by Anonymousreply 901/09/2012

She pretty much called Diddy out. That's pretty much his entire music career.

by Anonymousreply 1001/09/2012

[quote]“I want to report a rape,” said Kim Novak, the legendary star of “Vertigo,” “Picnic,” and many other revered classics. “My body of work has been violated by ‘The Artist.’ This film took the Love Theme music from “Vertigo” and used the emotions it engenders as its own. Alfred Hitchcock and Jimmy Stewart can’t speak for themselves, but I can.

They're rapin' EVERYBODY up in here!

by Anonymousreply 1101/09/2012

Nothing like an actress going off the rails to put a dent in your view of her. She was a limited talent, so I'm not exactly a huge admirer but she does have a place in movie history.

Personally, my own favorite scene of hers is the breakdown scene in "Jeanne Eagles" - pure camp classic.

by Anonymousreply 1201/09/2012

I didn't know she was still alive.

by Anonymousreply 1401/09/2012

lol R11

by Anonymousreply 1501/09/2012

[quote]which includes a sampling of Bernard Hermann's love theme

It's not just a sampling. The Artist takes the entire score from a crucial segment of Vertigo (about 6 minutes worth) and transplants in onto an important scene in their own movie.

Her argument - which I agree with - is that the music created for Vertigo is a singular piece of scoring that is immediately recognizable to any halfway aware filmgoer and with that awareness to the filmgoer comes all the emotions and feelings that were created by those who created Vertigo. It's not an homage as much as it's a wholesale lifting of ready made emotions. It's just lazy filmmaking.

But I do find all the discussion about Kim's ad quite funny. I love that film she is in with Kirk Douglas about the architect. It's so very mid-century in everything.

by Anonymousreply 1601/09/2012

My objection to the use of the music in The Artist is that Vertigo's theme so powerfully evokes cinema in the late 1950s, not the late 1920s/early 30s that the film is set in.

It just feels like a lazy wrong choice.

by Anonymousreply 1701/09/2012

I agree with her too, although yes, she's being a bit of the drama queen the way she's saying it for sure (understatement) - the score actually kept hinting towards Hermann's music the entire time which I found distracting enough, but when it turned fill tilt into the score it really was too much. I'm sure somebody can make a case for it being part of the film's postmodern take on cinema yadda yadda but it was really just too distracting for me.

by Anonymousreply 1801/09/2012

Hermann's music is still under copyright, I'm guessing, so if there is plagiarism involved there's going to be new assholes torn and it's not going to be on Miss Novak.

by Anonymousreply 1901/09/2012

No, copyright was legally obtained by The Artist filmmakers. It's not about legality it's about artistic integrity.

by Anonymousreply 2001/09/2012

I am amazed she's in the Academy.

by Anonymousreply 2101/09/2012

She's a legend. How many legendary films have YOU appeared in, M?

Oh, that's right - none. Your films don't age well. Sophie's Choice is good for a few laughs, that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 2201/09/2012

Sophie's Choice? That was HYSTERICAL!

by Anonymousreply 2301/09/2012

Umm....I consider myslef something of a cineaste and have certainly seen the classic VERTIGO, but for the life of me I couldn't pick out a note of that supposedly "iconic" musical score if I heard it in some other film. It's not like it's the GWTW theme or any of Ennio Morricone's classics. I truly think everyone, including Kim "I could eat a can of Kodak and puke a better film" Novak is overestimating this music's influence on people!

by Anonymousreply 2401/10/2012

Speaking of, why is the big band hit "Swing, Swing, Swing" playing in the previews of a film about the silent era?

by Anonymousreply 2501/10/2012

Are you joking, R24? You're clearly not a cineaste if you can't recognize the score to Vertigo. It's one of the classic scores of cinema, and much more important than the Gone With the Wind theme.

The music of Vertigo is constantly popping up in popular culture, and Hermann's score is one of the most influential.

Obviously she's overreacting, but it was fairly lazy of the movie to essentially lift this music to add emotional weight to what was otherwise a piece of nostalgic fluff. Especially when the score is nominated for an Oscar, and the best part was written for another movie.

by Anonymousreply 2602/24/2012

R7/Sammy, I'm sure you already did plenty of that with other women!

by Anonymousreply 2702/24/2012

r25, you've got a point -- although the name of that Benny Goodman tune is, "Sing Sing Sing." I have to agree with the above posters. The Bernard Herrmann piece from "Vertigo" is one of the most famous pieces of film music. It completely distracted me and took me out of the scene. I agree, it was lazy scoring. For that reason, I hope "The Artist" does not win an Oscar on Sunday for its music, although the rest of the film's score was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 2802/24/2012

Never heard of "The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders" before but it popped up as a rec on Netflix streaming.

It was actually pretty entertaining and I found Kim Novak much more charismatic and engaging than I found her in Hitchcock films.

by Anonymousreply 2903/02/2012

What's her connection to the damned music? She didn't have any involvement in it. She probably heard it for the first time when she saw Vertigo in the theater.

If she's this bent out of shape about it I can't begin to imagine what she thinks about Bewitched stealing their concept from Bell, Book and Candle.

by Anonymousreply 3003/02/2012

Let go of a pearl or two, people... YES, Vertigo's score is wonderful and should not have been lifted part and parcel that way. However, even it was a rip-off of the classic music from Tristan and Isolde. Karma is hell.

by Anonymousreply 3103/02/2012

Kim Novak had a right to feel pissed off. R31 Bernard Herrmann was and is one of the best soundtrack composers. His 'Vertigo' was not exactly a rip-off of the 'Tristan and Isolde'. There is maybe a similarity but Vertigo stands alone. Bernard Herrmann left his mark in cinematic music. Kim is a delicate woman and she has the right to speak her mind about that 'rape'. I like her even more now.

by Anonymousreply 3211/14/2012

R33 looooool! Will you stop it?

by Anonymousreply 3411/14/2012

Everything about The Artist is lazy film making starting with the script.

by Anonymousreply 3511/14/2012

Yes, R35. 'The Artist' is so fucking overrated.

by Anonymousreply 3611/14/2012

[quote]Kim is a delicate woman

WTF? She was a cast-iron battle-ax from day one, and no one has the right to trivialize rape by comparing it to oversampling a film score.

Jesus, some of you queens are certifiable.

by Anonymousreply 3711/14/2012

R37 you are so insensitive to women obviously. There are many kinds of rapes...but what do you know? Now as it comes to Kim...her heart is warm enough to keep her second marriage alive for 36 years now.

by Anonymousreply 3811/14/2012

[quote]I love that film she is in with Kirk Douglas about the architect. It's so very mid-century in everything.

"Strangers When We Meet" -- 1960 movie, 1958 novel by Evan Hunter. I thought the book was better than the movie but I do like Kim Novak & she was perfect in that role.

by Anonymousreply 3911/14/2012

Kim was also very lovable in 'The Man with the Golden Arm'.

by Anonymousreply 4011/14/2012

now that's entertainment

by Anonymousreply 4111/14/2012

Kim Novak quotes 'I knew Rita Hayworth only enough to know that she was just a tender, sensitive, beautiful human being. A lovely person. Very gentle. She would never stand up for her rights.'

by Anonymousreply 4211/15/2012

About Kim Novak

by Anonymousreply 4311/16/2012

Kim Novak was a sensation to 'Vertigo'.

by Anonymousreply 4411/16/2012

I find the thread title rather distasteful, even if it's based on a real quote.

by Anonymousreply 4511/16/2012

Me too, r45. The penysed OP's use of haterapespeech to make his point smacks of patriarchal privilege.

by Anonymousreply 4611/16/2012

Kim Novak:'Hollywood abused me.'

“I was not a favorite of the critics,” the former screen vixen recalls from her Oregon home, speaking in a smoky voice tinged with hurt half a century later. “And Mr. Cohn used to read me all of my bad reviews.”

Mr. Cohn was Harry Cohn, the famously abusive head of Columbia Pictures, who tried to turn Novak, an insecure 19-year-old from a working-class background with no previous acting experience, into his studio’s answer to sex goddess Monroe — and a replacement for his previous reigning star, Rita Hayworth.

“He really got to me, but I was kind of used to it because my father was hard on me,” recalls the Chicago native, who began stepping back from Hollywood in the early ’60s and retired from show business altogether 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4711/26/2012

Have you seen Kim Novak in 'Picnic'? Nice movie. Kim stated that her co-star in it, William Holden “felt he was too old for the part and was uncomfortable in the scene where he has to dance with his shirt off, especially since they made him shave off his chest hair. He just felt so naked.”

Funny thing, because the dance scene, set to “Moonglow,” turned out to be one of the most famous of the 1950s cinema.

Everything was wonderful in this scene but if you ask me i really disliked Novak's hair. They shouldn't let her appear with that hair. It doesn't do justice to a beauty like Kim.

by Anonymousreply 4811/26/2012

Not only did they dye her hair auburn for Picnic but it also appears they added a fall to the back to lengthen it.

Kim was also, in reality, too old for her role in Picnic. Madge should only be 18 or 19, recently graduated from high school, and Kim was in her mid-20s by 1956.

by Anonymousreply 4911/26/2012

Kim Novak Tribute

by Anonymousreply 5011/27/2012

This headline (and the story) makes me crack up so much whenever I see it pop up in Thread Watcher.

by Anonymousreply 5111/27/2012

Lol, yes it's ridiculous, because Kim Novak never said that. They tried to ridicule Novak's sensitivity with grotesque, out of the blue remarks.

by Anonymousreply 5211/27/2012

She never said that, R52?

“I want to report a rape,” said Kim Novak, the legendary star of “Vertigo,” “Picnic,” and many other revered classics. “My body of work has been violated by ‘The Artist.’ This film took the Love Theme music from “Vertigo” and used the emotions it engenders as its own. Alfred Hitchcock and Jimmy Stewart can’t speak for themselves, but I can.

by Anonymousreply 5311/27/2012

R53, come on now... Novak never said or implied that she felt a sensation similar to having her vagina or anus forcefully and unwantedly penetrated by a beligerent male. Duh!

by Anonymousreply 5411/27/2012

[quote]Novak never said or implied that she felt a sensation similar to having her vagina or anus forcefully and unwantedly penetrated by a beligerent male.

Then perhaps she shouldn't have claimed a rape.

by Anonymousreply 5511/27/2012

R55, with all due respect, you don't seem to me as a rape victim, so stop the propaganda. Novak didn't want to trivialize rape by saying that, you just wanted to trivialize Kim... There is physical rape and there is emotional rape. Kim Novak obviously was referring to the second one. By the way, i don't consider an old actor/actress as a desperate has-been. Why you view things this way? Just because she got old, she doesn't have the right to comment on something? That's very odd R55.

by Anonymousreply 5611/27/2012

Are you retarded, r56? You sound retarded.

by Anonymousreply 5711/27/2012

R57, i feel a kind of compassion for your lack of reasonable arguments, so i'll pass...

by Anonymousreply 5811/28/2012

Not only was she raped, but she was impregnated.

She's now the proud mother of a newborn Maurice Jarre soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 5911/28/2012

Kim with a brisk friend of hers from 'Bell Book and Candle'

by Anonymousreply 6011/28/2012

[quote]you don't seem to me as a rape victim.... Why you view things this way?

Clearly, r56, you are either retarded or not fully literate.

by Anonymousreply 6111/28/2012

R61, i didn't right only this, read my post again and this time open your eyes! Fool.

by Anonymousreply 6211/28/2012

*write

by Anonymousreply 6311/28/2012

"There is physical rape and there is emotional rape."

Even if there were such a thing as emotional rape, which I doubt, this isn't it.

This is annoyance.

by Anonymousreply 6411/28/2012

Annoyance is your bitching about a pure statement. Novak and everybody else has a right to express themselves and have the right to feel as they feel because we have fucking democracy, you hear me FUCKING DERANGED, PSYCHOTIC GAY BITCHES?

by Anonymousreply 6511/28/2012

slow clap for R59

by Anonymousreply 6611/28/2012

Miss Kim Novak

by Anonymousreply 6711/28/2012

Kim Novak and Cary Grant dance at Cannes Film Festival after the screening of Middle of the Night in 1959.

by Anonymousreply 6812/27/2012

Kim Novak with Eleanor Parker in 'The Man with the Golden Arm'

by Anonymousreply 6912/27/2012

Rivals in this movie

by Anonymousreply 7012/27/2012

The link didn't work. Sorry.

Here is a photo of Kim Novak with Frank Sinatra from 'The Man with the Golden Arm'

The rivals were Kim Novak and Eleanor Parker in this movie because they both loved Frank Sinatra(their roles i mean...). Eleanor was his wife and Kim his love.

by Anonymousreply 7112/27/2012

Kim was very touching in 'The Man With The Golden Arm'.

by Anonymousreply 7212/27/2012

I think that people who talked badly of her simply misunderstood her.

A sensitive woman with a need to have some personal things deep in her, for her and for the sake of her experiences. She craves to possess and to love what she has. Gentle and not as cold as some of you may think that she is.

She is not unfair.

by Anonymousreply 7312/27/2012

This title is still so funny.

by Anonymousreply 7405/01/2014

She's no Joan Davis, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 7505/01/2014

[quote]This title is still so funny.

So, you find mocking the mentally ill amusing, do you?

by Anonymousreply 7605/01/2014

Or "The misleading thread title troll", even.

by Anonymousreply 7705/01/2014

Hermann was the biggest hack. His score for "It's Alive" is almost exactly like "Taxi Driver", "Psycho", etc.

Score-by-the-numbers.

by Anonymousreply 7805/01/2014

Shut up twisters. Kim Novak got a point, you are too insensitive to put yourself in her place. Shut the fuck up, i beg you.

by Anonymousreply 7905/01/2014
Need more help? Click Here.