Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Frank Gumm, Judy Garland's Father Made Sexual Advances Towards Male Ushers And They Had To Flee The State

Is this really true?

by Anonymousreply 3001/11/2012

Judy Garland's father was gay...but never 'out'. There were several instances in a few different cities they lived in where he was caught either giving or receiving oral from one or more high school boys. See, he would open up theaters everywhere they moved--it was all he knew--the rumor was that he would let boys from the high school in for free, or let them come during closed hours and have sex. He loved his girls though so he stayed with his wife (who was also having an affair..with his best friend who's wife very ill and eventually died). Everyone overlooked what was going on because he was loved and admired throughout the town....and baby was going to be a star.

Source(s):

"Get Happy"-biography of Judy Garland

Long time Judy Garland fan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101/09/2012

I like blue.

by Anonymousreply 201/09/2012

Joey, it's time for juice now.

by Anonymousreply 301/09/2012

"Flee" is such a dramatic term! I think they took the train.

by Anonymousreply 401/09/2012

Yes- no men were "out" then. Read "Stonewall, the Other Side of Silence" for a history of male homosexuality in 20th century America, or "Secret Historian, the Life and Times of Samual Steward" if you want to know what gay life was like in the US pre WW 2 and in the 1950s. Grim, horrible.

by Anonymousreply 501/09/2012

[quote]"Flee" is such a dramatic term!

I love it. I picture them under cover of darkness skulking away on foot with cloaks over their heads, one of them turning to cast a last mournful look back.

by Anonymousreply 601/09/2012

I love you R4 and R6, I really do. LOL

by Anonymousreply 701/09/2012

[quote]I love it. I picture them under cover of darkness skulking away on foot with cloaks over their heads, one of them turning to cast a last mournful look back

Sounds like how Judy and the kids used to skip out on the hotel bills.

by Anonymousreply 801/09/2012

Mean sissy, juice? No bedazzle? I like bedazzle (and blue).

by Anonymousreply 901/09/2012

Shomebody shay juish?

by Anonymousreply 1001/09/2012

[quote]Sounds like how Judy and the kids used to skip out on the hotel bills.

They had to. The St. Pierre wouldn't take Lorna in trade.

by Anonymousreply 1101/09/2012

I can neither confirm nor deny those rumors. I was only 15 at the time.

by Anonymousreply 1201/09/2012

Mean sissy, did drunk sissy have a hubby who was a juish? I thought drunk sissy only married nancy men, not juish. Was hubby Davey a juish?

by Anonymousreply 1301/09/2012

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 1401/09/2012

Touch me in the mooooooorning….then just walk….away…...

by Anonymousreply 1501/10/2012

Her mother was one fucked up bitch too. She wanted to have her aborted. She and the MGM head took her to get an abortion without telling her where they were going. Her mother got her hooked on pills at 12. Judy talked about her mother calling her a witch.

She was their meal ticket, and they used her to death.

Her mother also is believe by Judy to have given sexual favors to get her roles.

by Anonymousreply 1601/10/2012

"Her mother was one fucked up bitch too. She wanted to have her aborted. She and the MGM head took her to get an abortion without telling her where they were going. Her mother got her hooked on pills at 12. Judy talked about her mother calling her a witch.

She was their meal ticket, and they used her to death.

Her mother also is believe by Judy to have given sexual favors to get her roles."

You are one loony Judy Garland queen. And most of what you said is utter horseshit. And actually Judy Garland was the one who was a "fucked up bitch."

Frank and Ethel Gumm did consider abortion when she became pregnant a third time. This didn't make them evil people; they were in tough financial straits and didn't think they would be able to support another child. They must have been pretty desperate to have considered abortion, an illegal and potentially dangerous operation. The family doctor talked them out of seeking an abortion.

When married to her first husband David Rose, Garland did become pregnant and the baby was aborted. But nobody tricked her or forced her to do it. She was told it would be bad for her career to have a child so young, so she went along with it. If she hadn't wanted to do it, she wouldn't have done it.

Her mother didn't get her "hooked" on anything. When she worked at MGM Garland was given drugs to help her sleep and keep her energy up, just like just about every other actor at the studio. There was no evil conspiracy; it was just something that was done for everybody at MGM. Garland blamed ALL of her problems on other people, and loved to talk about how her mother and L.B. Mayer made her a drug addict. But that was just Judy Garland absolving herself of all blame for her own fuck-ups.

And Ethel Gumm gave "sexual favors" to get Judy roles?! Ethel Gumm was a dumpy, plain woman with slightly crossed eyes! Who the hell would want her "sexual favors?"

by Anonymousreply 1701/10/2012

Garland's family didn't skip out of town, either. They even maintained ties with friends after moving west.

Frank Gumm wasn't gay. If anything he might have been abusive. Garland herself once wrote about how scared she used to be when lying in her bed and hearing her parents fight at night. Ethel had no out unless she could manage the girls to success. Frank had control of all the other family money.

by Anonymousreply 1801/10/2012

[R17] Hi, Lorna!

by Anonymousreply 1901/10/2012

Ann Miller among quite a number of others, claimed that Ethel was giving Judy sleeping pills, and eventually speed, long before Judy was signed talent at MGM. Judy was a sensitive, highly strung girl, and still a young teen when she lost her beloved father. A unique talent, and a very well-liked woman for most of her life. There will never be another talent like her's.

by Anonymousreply 2001/10/2012

"There will never be another talent like her"

Ha, ha, ha! I'll say!

by Anonymousreply 2101/10/2012

Speed wasn't available in pill form before Judy was signed by MGM. She might have gotten her first bit of speed from MGM but the more likely source was the radio and session musicians she worked with outside of MGM. The USO tour she did with David Rose in 1941 probably had the military for unlimited supply. Even today the military uses quite a bit of speed.

At most Ethel might have given her sleeping pills and caffeine.

by Anonymousreply 2201/10/2012

"Ann Miller among quite a number of others, claimed that Ethel was giving Judy sleeping pills, and eventually speed, long before Judy was signed talent at MGM."

How would Ann Miller know that Ethel Gumm shoved drugs down poor little Judy's throat even before she came to MGM? How would "a number of others" know that? Oh right...they knew that because that's what JUDY told them. Judy Garland told anybody who would listen that her mother was an evil witch who got her hooked on drugs before she was even a teenager and that she was in cahoots with L.B. Mayer to keep her drugged up so she could work long hours. I guess some people believed her. But people who knew the reality of the situation knew that Judy was full of shit, in total denial of her own culpability when it came to her drug and alcohol use and her constant financial woes. Judy always laid the blame for her own failures on other people: her mother, L.B. Mayer, her husbands, anybody but herself.

by Anonymousreply 2301/11/2012

Have you not heard of Bennies? Then there was Dexadrine -- on the market in PILL FORM, 1937.

These pills were made available to every MGM star, and not by Frances Gumm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2401/11/2012

Ann Miller's mother and Ethel Gumm were very good friends. Ann knew her very well.

by Anonymousreply 2501/11/2012

What's your point, R24? Garland signed with MGM in 1935. As you point out Dexies hit the market in pill form in 1937.

by Anonymousreply 2601/11/2012

Ann Miller's father knew MR. Gumm quite biblically.

by Anonymousreply 2701/11/2012

Look, R17, there are many kinds of sexual favors. In Ethel's case, perhaps the favor consisted of leaving the room.

As for Juish, I believe that Ethel WAS Juish. So, Lorna, mazel tov!

by Anonymousreply 2801/11/2012

But why would the ushers have to flee the state?

by Anonymousreply 2901/11/2012

"Ann Miller's mother and Ethel Gumm were very good friends. Ann knew her very well."

So what? If Miller believed crazy Judy's claim that Ethel fed her darling baby girl bennies and goofballs at the tender age of TEN then she must have been gullible as hell.

by Anonymousreply 3001/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!