Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Paleo Solution Diet: Thoughts?

I know a guy who swears by the Paleo Solution and I'm thinking of trying it myself. He's an Olympic athlete who has access to awesome trainers, so I can't really tell if his diet deserves full credit for his body. However, everything he's told me about the paleo diet addresses personal areas of concern. I appear to be in good shape (lean athletic build, subtle six pack), but I'm not. I eat crap meals one or two times a day...and I eat a lot of sweets. I'm only 30 so I feel like I can't coast on my high metabolism and youth much longer...

by Anonymousreply 5001/09/2013

You'll feel great once you commit to it. The first week is sort of hellish, it's called "Carb Flu" but after that, you'll be amazed. If you don't think you feel great, eat some bread or pasta or fast food and you'll feel bloated, gassy and sluggish. Then you'll remember that you always sort of felt like that.

by Anonymousreply 101/09/2012

What about dairy products?

I don't think I can commit to it if I can't have carbs AND dairy products.

by Anonymousreply 201/09/2012

I still eat dairy occasionally but I switched to raw milk.

by Anonymousreply 301/09/2012

Eat colorful fruits and vegetables, whole grains, fish, lean meat and poultry, the latter two in moderation. Dairy is fine- but not too much. Keep sweets to a minimum, special occasions etc, drink alcohol moderately or sparingly. Paleo shmalio, etc etc. And enjoy life and good food well prepared, real whole food that you can identify- DON'T eat too much of anything, except to have fun related to a night out or celebration- if you must.

It ain't that hard.

by Anonymousreply 401/09/2012

Why don't you just quit eating crap meals and cut down on the sweets instead of adopting some radical diet?

by Anonymousreply 501/09/2012

Yeah, just make healthy changes without taking on some new Dogma about it all.

by Anonymousreply 601/09/2012

What we eat is not about our weight. It's about our bodies on a cellular level. The paleo diet is based on the theory that good health is dependent on non-inflamation of our tissues. On healthy mitochondria. You can look fit... thin with great muscle tone... but if your cells are damaged and slow to repair because of cell destroying foods like sugar, gluten, grains and bad oils, you will live a less healthy and shorter life. Cancer is the product of those damaged cells as diabetes, hypertension and heart disease. it's easy to look at a calm pool and think the lovely water is perfect for swimming. But it's what beneath the surface that's important. Paleo and similar plans are not fads. They are nutrition plans that have been in the works for many years, with cancer and heart doctors at the forefront due to Paleo's amazing anti-inflammatory properties.

by Anonymousreply 701/09/2012

With others said I never get the whole dogmatic diet plan.

Just make healthy eating choices. And if you worried about weight loss then count calories, the only way you will lose weight is eating less calories than your body burns.

by Anonymousreply 801/09/2012

I'm looking forward to this experience to be honest. At first I felt skeptical because the friend who introduced me to the paleo diet is an Olympian with access to nutritionists/physical trainers, but it just seems to make sense logically.

I'm only 30. I'm tired of feeling lethargic and depressed all the time...especially since it was only several years ago that I had a great body, high sex drive, and confidence. Regardless of the jokes that people here make about those my age and slightly older, I'm still young(ish). There's no point in giving up on trying to have a great life.

Thanks for the inputs everyone.

by Anonymousreply 901/09/2012

So what's the deal with potatoes? They're a vegetable, right? Are they cool in moderation?

by Anonymousreply 1001/09/2012

It's another fad diet that people are trying to make money from. What happened to the Mediterranean Diet, which was supposed to the healthiest way to eat, or that blood type diet, or any of the other thousands of diets that have come and gone over the years?

You already know how to make healthy food choices, everyone does. Just eat less, and exercise more.

by Anonymousreply 1101/09/2012

I follow the Mediterramean diet and really like it, but at its core it's just what R4 said. Those are the basic principles of any healthy diet.

by Anonymousreply 1201/09/2012

OP, definitely do it. I am now 44 and made similar changes in my early 30s, started eating more nutrition-based food. My 30s was a better decade than my 20s and part of it was due to improved health.

You definitely shouldn't be feeling sluggish and wiped out just because your chrono age is 30.

by Anonymousreply 1301/09/2012

How's it going, OP?

I transitioned into it somewhat by accident. Starting 3 months ago, I gave the way I eat a reboot. I went through everything I actually enjoy eating, weeded out the stuff that was bad for me, kept the stuff that was good for me. I became more aware of making sure I ate some fruits and veggies every day, and allowed myself a little bit of ice cream every night.

I started losing weight, but in the last month, I lost the desire to have the ice cream. I also lost the desire to have the whole wheat english muffins I was having, and have been snacking on raw unsalted nuts a lot more. Now, all I eat is fruit, veggies, nuts, meat and eggs... which is essentially the paleo diet. It's all I feel like eating, so I don't feel like I'm cheating myself in any way. I've given myself permission to go out and have some pasta or something now and then, but so far I haven't wanted to.

I'm down 23 pounds so far, and feeling a lot better than before. I need to start exercising though.

by Anonymousreply 1402/05/2012

"Yeah, just make healthy changes without taking on some new Dogma about it all."

Most people over 30 who have dieted before are now at the point where they are hungry all day every day and only quick fixes like pasta or french fries stops it. That's why.

by Anonymousreply 1502/05/2012

Is the paleo diet a high protein one?

If it is, please make sure that your kidneys are healthy enough to handle the excess protein, otherwise you will damage your kidneys. Healthy kidneys won't be harmed by a high protein diet.

The people behind the high protein diets don't do enough to inform the public that their diets can do further damage to already unhealthy kidneys.

by Anonymousreply 1602/06/2012

I'm a doctor who specializes in research on diet, nutrition, and health.

Without getting too deeply into it, let me just say that the Paleo Diet is a truly terrible idea. The best way to insure health through food is to eat as many whole foods as possible, preferably fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes. It's that simple.

But no one can make money off of that, so instead all these scammers come up with one trendy bestselling diet book after another.

Eat as many whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and legumes as possible.

That's all.

by Anonymousreply 1702/06/2012

R17, you are an idiot and should have your medical license suspended. The Paleo way of eating is not a scam and it wasn't even invented by one person. That's like saying baking is a scam and baking cookbooks are made by scammers to make money. Paleo was developed by real doctors, not quacks like you. And no, you should not eat legumes. It's not as simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 1802/06/2012

[quote][R17], you are an idiot and should have your medical license suspended. The Paleo way of eating is not a scam and it wasn't even invented by one person. That's like saying baking is a scam and baking cookbooks are made by scammers to make money. Paleo was developed by real doctors, not quacks like you. And no, you should not eat legumes. It's not as simple as that.

The guy gives sound, sensible medical advice regarding health and food intake and you call him the quack?

Human beings are omnivores. We can and should eat a little bit of everything.

The paleo diet is just another diet fad. If it works for you, fine. But don't call other people out if they disagree. And if you are going to disagree, at the very least provide some evidence to support your claims.

by Anonymousreply 1902/06/2012

Also, researchers recently found grinding stones in Europe that date back 30,000 years. Humans back then probably did eat grains in the form of flatbread.

So the ideas behind the paleo diet and not eating grains could very well be off.

by Anonymousreply 2002/06/2012

This is a pretty good blog post about the whole grain issue:

by Anonymousreply 2102/06/2012

Riiight, because cavemen lived 30,000 years ago. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2202/06/2012

I disagree about it being a fad diet. Sure, there are people who latch on and turn it into a fad for a quick buck, but the ideas behind it are sound.

The idea is to really take a look at what you're eating. How much preparation and processing had to be done to something to make it edible? What foods were humans eating before we learned how to process it in more elaborate ways?

It's about simplifying and eating more pure foods. It's only a high-protein diet if you want it to be. You can be vegetarian on it if you really want. There are no guidelines at all except for the types of foods you shouldn't be eating.

by Anonymousreply 2302/06/2012

My bf, who I've been with for three years, is a strict paleo. Way strict. I loved his body - lean and sinewy - and realized I'd have to compromise if we were going to live together. So I converted to the diet. It's a life style, really. And I adjusted, and got the results. I feel great, more awake, more alive. I guess the hardest part was realizing that the strict, or "authentic" paleos incorporate ritual cannibalism occasionally into the mix. I understand all about the necessary enzymes and proteins that simply are not accessible elsewhere in the model. The raw quality, by then, was something I already had gotten used to, so actually it was easier than you'd think. But, really, if you're living with someone you both have to adopt it. It's not the sort of thing that one can do while the other tries to go vegan.

by Anonymousreply 2402/07/2012

[quote]I guess the hardest part was realizing that the strict, or "authentic" paleos incorporate ritual cannibalism occasionally into the mix.

Huh? Are you eating babies or something?

by Anonymousreply 2502/07/2012

I think R24 is trying to say that his bf eats raw meat, not cannibalism hopefully.

Paleo eating doesn't have to be a huge lifestyle shift, you don't have to be militant about it. It's just a good concept to keep in mind when trying to decide what to eat. There's so much shit floating around out there now that over-complicates it when really, the whole point is to keep things simple.

I like this guy at the link. He seems pretty realistic about it.

by Anonymousreply 2602/07/2012

How does raw = cannibalism?

by Anonymousreply 2702/07/2012

I think R24 was...kidding.

That happens here on Datalounge.

But for me, the problem with the vague generalities of "eat whole grain! Fruit! Vegetables! Legumes!" doesn't answer a basic question...what am I going to have for dinner?

Seven times a week. Gimme names of dishes, shopping lists, recipes.

Until then, shut up.

by Anonymousreply 2802/07/2012

My sister was eating raw ground beef when she was on it. GROOOSSSSSSS.

by Anonymousreply 2902/07/2012

[quote]raw ground beef

Many cultures/cuisines include raw ground beef or lamb. You've never heard of steak tartare or kibbeh nayyeh? Both are delicious.

by Anonymousreply 3002/07/2012

Does your sister have mad cow disease?

by Anonymousreply 3102/10/2012

[quote]Riiight, because cavemen lived 30,000 years ago. Idiot.

The paleolithic era started around 2.5 million years ago and ended about 10,000 years ago.

So yeah, 30,000 years "cavemen" were around. Anatomically modern humans didn't exist until the very end of the paleolithic era.

by Anonymousreply 3202/10/2012

I have to admit, during the holidays I ate an anti-Paleo diet. Lots of baked goods (flour and sugar). Lots of sugary drinks and desserts.

I felt like shit, dull-witted, tired/drowsy a lot of the time, and my skin got blotches and rashes.

Reading up on Paleo and other similar diet recommendations. The other night I made a saute of savoy cabbage and onions and mushrooms, and had it with a small lean cut of steak. I started to feel a lot better in the hours afterward. It was like when you water a dehydrated houseplant and its leaves start to perk up at long last.

And that has happened with me many times before. Lots of veggies and some meat or fish or eggs = feel good, very good!

So there's something to it. I just don't trust the extremists who say "eat TONS of meat and animal fat, nothing bad will happen to your arteries." The loudest voices on this subject, online, are not necessarily the most objective researchers/experts.

by Anonymousreply 3302/10/2012

For the person wanting meal ideas, here's an idea of what I've eaten this week.

Monday, Steaks with green beans and mashed cauliflower.

Tuesday, Chicken breasts dipped in butter and rolled in crushed cashews, almonds and spices and baked. Leftover cauliflower, made into "taternots" (spices added and scooped onto cookie sheet and baked)

Wednesday Giant salad with all kinds of vegetables topped with leftover chicken and some ham from a local farm. Homemade vinaigrette dressing.

Thursday- Meatloaf (I use shredded apples instead of breadcrumbs) broccoli.

Tonight- I'll have the leftover meatloaf with some tomato sauce and add garlic to the broccoli. Normally I'd have all this over spaghetti squash but I don't feel like that tonight.

Saturday, I've got some frozen scallops and we'll broil those and have another giant salad.

Sunday, probably a pot roast.

Snacks, lots of eggs, salads, nuts, dark chocolate, jerky, cheese, veggies and fruits.

I get the majority of my groceries at farms when I'm able and I'm very happy with this diet.

by Anonymousreply 3402/10/2012

R7 is right and there is nothing faddish about it. People eat way too many carbs and it really makes a difference when you cut back. You'll be surprised at how good you feel,OP, after the first few days.

People with access to top trainers, OP, know this stuff and are almost narcissistic in paying attention to their bodies. They notice the slightest change, so your friend would probably not be doing this if it hadn't made a change for him.

by Anonymousreply 3502/10/2012

It is total bullshit.

Americans consume too many calories.

We eat pasta and stay lean and hot and you all beg to suck our dicks when you come to our country.

by Anonymousreply 3602/10/2012

You stay lean because food is ridiculously expensive in your country R36.

by Anonymousreply 3702/10/2012

But the quality is so much higher than in the states.

It is better to have good food that you pay for than a source of cheap food that makes you fat.

by Anonymousreply 3802/10/2012

by Anonymousreply 3901/05/2013

According to the Weston Price people, sprouting grains before using them makes them much more digestible:

[quote]“The process of germination not only produces Vitamin C, but also changes the composition of grains and seeds in numerous beneficial ways. Sprouting increases Vitamin B content, especially B2, B5, and B6. Carotene increases dramatically – sometimes eightfold. Even more important, sprouting neutralizes phytic acid, a substance present in the bran of all grains that inhibits absorption of calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and zinc; sprouting also neutralizes enzyme inhibitors present in all seeds. These inhibitors can neutralize our own precious enzymes in the digestive tract.

[quote]A portion of the starch in grain is transformed into sugar. Sprouting inactivates aflatoxins, potent carcinogens found in grains. Finally, numerous enzymes that help digestion are produced during the germination process.”

Once I get closer to my target weight I want to experiment with sprouted grain breads.

by Anonymousreply 4001/05/2013

Cooking doesn't kill mad cow so it would make no difference.

by Anonymousreply 4101/07/2013

Food for thought:

[italic]The most comprehensive work on Ikaria has been done by the University of Athens, whose researchers studied islanders aged over 65. On average, the 8,000 residents live 10 years longer than most Europeans and in much better health to the end.

There are many significant factors about the islanders' lifestyle which might contribute to their longevity.

Even compared to a typical Mediterranean diet, Ikarians eat a lot of fish and vegetables, and [bold]relatively low levels of meat[/bold].[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 4201/07/2013

Stress is what kills people.

by Anonymousreply 4301/07/2013

[quote]I appear to be in good shape (lean athletic build, subtle six pack)

Translation: When I look down past my large gut I can still see one of my toes.

Oh nevermind...that's not a toenail, that's a frito.

by Anonymousreply 4401/07/2013

Don't know about Atkins/paleo, but the day after Thanksgiving I cut out carbs and grain to see if it would make a difference. I've lost four pants sizes in about six weeks and the weight is still coming off.

I do miss beer and the occasional baked good, but after the first few days any cravings were gone... it's more the thought that "a beer would taste good now" or "that coffee cake smells delicious." But it's easy to resist.

by Anonymousreply 4501/07/2013

I do agree that sugar , breads, white flour, white pasta are bad! But eating an excess of meats is also not good for long term health. Yes, you will lose weight eating Paleo diets, but excessive meat intake is linked to high caner rates, and heart disease.

by Anonymousreply 4601/07/2013

If you eat too much sugar, your teeth will not be available to paleontologists of the future!

by Anonymousreply 4701/09/2013

r46, you are incorrect in assuming that people on paleo diets or any low carbohydrate diet in general for that matter, are eating "excessive amounts of meats." Perhaps some do, but eating low carb doesn't automatically mean one has traded their servings of bread and pasta for extra slabs of steak on their plate.

I am not a paleo person, but I do follow a low carbohydrate way of eating, and fully support those who choose to go paleo. I don't eat any more meat than I did before I went low carb. I have tuna or chicken breast for lunch, dinner I have a piece of meat of some type about the size of my palm. That's it. For breakfast, I don't usually eat meat at all. I eat tons of veggies with that meat though. Most of the paleo/low carb folks I know eat about that same amount.

by Anonymousreply 4801/09/2013

I eat crap meals one or two times a day...and I eat a lot of sweets.

What you really need to do is stop doing those two things. And start exercising regularly if you're not already.

You're going to get bored of some fad diet and fall of of it. You've got to change how you eat for the rest of your life.

You know this, deep down, and the fact that you're considering some stupid fad means you're not serious yet about losing weight.

by Anonymousreply 4901/09/2013

Do you eat meat every day, R48? How many days a week do you have two portions of meat?

by Anonymousreply 5001/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!