Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ann Miller bemoans the lack of glamour among today's actresses and talks about how it's different for today's woman.

I don't know why I find this kind of thing so absolutely hysterical, but I do.

Particularly after the recent Punchy Players "Judy's Groceries" (and the outtakes) where Ann Miller is the checkout girl for Judy and Liza's grocery trip where Liza keeps making bad nutritional choices.

Ann has some sort of fixation about having on those earrings at that premiere!

by June Allysonreply 15212/14/2013

Ann is candid, and charming. I wish she had had a few more film opportunities in the 50s and 60s. She was a whole lot more than her giant lacquered wigs on The Merv Griffin Show- but those were great too. She was sensational in Sugar Babies when I saw it on Broadway in 1982.

by June Allysonreply 101/09/2012

She always looked like her face needed a good scrubbing and her breath stank of lung worms and recrimination.

by June Allysonreply 201/09/2012

r2, wow!

by June Allysonreply 301/09/2012

Ann was a real pisser.

by June Allysonreply 401/09/2012

Ann looked like she bathed in formaldehyde. Her face was pure wax in her later years.

by June Allysonreply 501/09/2012

What did she do to her nose in the 1960s? It slowly disappeared off her face. She had a perfectly good nose throughout the 1950s.

by June Allysonreply 601/09/2012

Saw her in a Love Boat rerun with Ethel Merman and Della Reese. She obviously was a good sport about the giant lacquered wigs and didn't mind comments. The three characters got into an argument and Della looked at Ann Miller and threatened to "break your hair."

by June Allysonreply 701/09/2012

by June Allysonreply 807/07/2012

I loved this commercial as a preschool gayling:

by June Allysonreply 907/07/2012

Whose snatches did she get to munch on?

by June Allysonreply 1007/07/2012

Maybe D. Porter would know?

by June Allysonreply 1107/07/2012

Loved her in "Mulholland Dr." I'd love to know what she thought of David Lynch and the weirdness of that movie.

by June Allysonreply 1207/07/2012

When she talks about going to the grocery store it made me laugh (because of the Punchy Players clip) - and the way she says "order" is just like in the Punchy Players.

by June Allysonreply 1307/07/2012

Ann is adorable in that clip!

As critical as she is of modern films and stars, she keeps apologizing for it. She completely gets that times have changed and acknowledges it.

I don't think she was known for any big affairs with costars. All of her efforts went into billionaires.

And just where did her nose go (I think that's me in January at r6!)?

by June Allysonreply 1407/07/2012

by June Allysonreply 1507/07/2012

Love Annie but that dreadful interviewer will not shut up!

by June Allysonreply 1607/07/2012

Her drunk husband threw her down a flight of stairs breaking her back. She was pregnant at the time. When she delivered the baby, it died shortly after due to injuries sustained in the fall.

by June Allysonreply 1707/07/2012

What did they do to her husband? Kill him, I hope.

by June Allysonreply 1807/07/2012

The Punchy Players clip, because it's fucking hilarious...

"We've got a special on raw sauerkraut, but you've got to keep a lid on it because it smells like garbage!"

by June Allysonreply 1907/07/2012

Nothing happened to the husband, they just divorced. It was a different time then,

by June Allysonreply 2007/07/2012

[quote]The Punchy Players clip, because it's fucking hilarious...

LOVE how she pronounces "Judy" almost as "Jody"!

by June Allysonreply 2107/08/2012

Was she friends with June Allyson?

by June Allysonreply 2307/08/2012

Actually, I think today's actresses have it a bit tougher on the glamour front, because of the paparazzi. Today's actresses don't dress semi-formally to run out for a pint of milk, the way Joan Crawford did, but if they don't wear different designer shoes every damn day the paps record it and the gossip bloggers snark that they're wearing the same thing twice.

Princess Kate has taken to wearing her outfits more than once, and for public events. I hope she becomes the new trendsetter.

by June Allysonreply 2407/08/2012

Ann's outtakes.

by June Allysonreply 2507/12/2012

I love Ann! She is so fun to listen to in this interview and she has a true warmth about her that is irresistible. I saw her in Sugar Babies on Broadway in 1982 as well (it ran for about 6+years, on the road, Broadway, and then back on the road, then London!), and she was truly sensational. Her tapping at 60 years old was incredible and her presence onstage was big enough to counter her co-star Mickey Rooney. I also saw her almost 25 years later in Follies at Papermill Playhouse. She had trouble walking, but not singing, and she was just great as Carlotta. There will never be another one!

by June Allysonreply 2607/12/2012

Paris Hilton is not glamorous? She flashes her "you know what" at the cameras. How much classier than that can you get?

by June Allysonreply 2707/13/2012

Ann Miller with her mother, Clara

by June Allysonreply 2802/21/2013

^ Ann was smoking hot as a young woman. You can really see the Cherokee in her in that photo.

by June Allysonreply 2902/21/2013

Love Ann Miller. One time we were waiting in line for the movies near Rockefeller Center I forget, the Guild? Anyway, Ann looked over at us (four fairies) and smiled broadly and said "Howdy Boys"!

I think the June Allyson thing is from the ridiculously bad, yet camp film "the Opposite Sex" where the hugely musically talented Ann Miller was not utilized and the boring, musically untalented June was given a huge number.

by June Allysonreply 3002/21/2013

That was a great clip, haven't seen it before. She does have a good point, though. Compared to even 15 or 20 years ago, today's so-called "stars" mostly look like shit, just like the rest of the U.S. population.

by June Allysonreply 3102/21/2013

You've got that right r31.

by June Allysonreply 3202/22/2013

Where does Ann saying "carn holders" come from?

by June Allysonreply 3302/22/2013

My first meeting with her was in 'Mulholland Dr.' of David Lynch. I will never forget this movie and of course 'Coco' was one of the images that linger like the rest images of this movie on your mind for a long time. It comes and it goes...

by June Allysonreply 3402/22/2013

What a bizarre accent she had and Punchy Players do it fabulously she really is so right about today's stars they not only dress pedestrian but they are pedestrian.

I thought Maureen O'Hara introduced Desi to Lucy.

by June Allysonreply 3502/22/2013

Ann Miller as it is said by many people who knew her and by many who didn't and just see her in the movies, was a great dancer. She was dancing wonderfully! I can see that in Easter Parade. She sings and dances "Shakin' the Blues Away" and she can blow your mind by doing that. High five to her!

by June Allysonreply 3602/23/2013

Did she keep getting nose jobs as she aged? Her nose looked so normal when she was young but it was almost non-existent in her later years.

by June Allysonreply 3702/23/2013

[quote]Did she keep getting nose jobs as she aged? Her nose looked so normal when she was young but it was almost non-existent in her later years.

I think she fell and broke her when dancing and didn't like how it looked when it healed so she decided to get it "fixed".

by June Allysonreply 3802/23/2013

A tribute to Ann Miller. High five, high five to you Miss Ann Miller!

by June Allysonreply 3902/23/2013

R23, sorry, i don't know if she and June Allyson were friends, but i know for sure that Ann Miller was a close friend of Linda Darnell.

I searched and i found a photo of Ann Miller with June Allyson in an older age, you maybe have seen it but in case you haven't, here it is...below!

by June Allysonreply 4002/23/2013

She played in perhaps the best movie of all times. To me it is the best movie of all times so far and i won't be humble about it, i have seen more than a lot.

There is nothing like Mulholland Dr.

As i read and you can read it in the link i sent you below, Ann Miller was very fond of her dog. The dog's name is Koko. And guess what!Her character's name in Mulholland Dr is 'Coco'!

"She is a real straight shooter, just the kindest, most professional, anything-goes great gal you ever want to meet." (David Lynch about Ann Miller)

by June Allysonreply 4102/23/2013

Linda Darnell was very close friends with Ann Miller.

'After San Francisco, Howard (Hughes) wooed Linda with a vengeance', Ann Miller said,'in spite of my warnings, that he would use her and then drop her. I also warned her about other women. I knew Lana in those days too'. She was referring, of course, to Lana Turner at MGM. 'Lana told me that she was going to become the next Mrs.Howard Hughes. I also knew Gene Tierney, who, in spite of Oleg Cassini, was also considering walking down the aisle with Hughes. Even Paulette Goddard hoped that she might marry Howard, that he'd jump-start her career the way Chaplin had done.'

Linda Darnell convinced herself that she and Hughes would marry, and her heart become set on it, even though Hughes began backing off. Hughes couldn't bring himself to confront Linda. Instead, he made a dinner date with Linda's close friend, MGM dancing star Ann Miller, and asked her to tell Linda there would be no wedding.

'He was very peculiar and would kind of halfway propose to these girls. And he could be very, very convincing, leading them to believe that a wedding was just on the horizon. It could be very sad', Miller recalled. 'When i told Linda what Howard said, and about all the other girls he had on the string, she was badly hurt.'

Actually, Hughes had called Ann Miller, shortly before his crash, telling her he had a problem with Linda. He didn't want to hurt her, he explained to Ann over dinner, but neither was he planning marriage. 'I think the world of Linda', he said. 'I know that she's becoming very serious and really thinks i'm going to marry her. I haven't encouraged her in this at all because i don't want to get married'. He also mentioned to Ann that Pev Marley (Darnell's estranged husband)had asked for a substantial sum of money before he would agree to let Linda go. 'I'm not going to let any man do that to me', said Hughes. 'It has sort of turned me off.'

Ann talked to Linda the next day, attempting to soften the blow, but Linda took it very bad.

(Extracts from the books 'Howard Hughes:The Untold Story', 'Hollywood Beauty:Linda Darnell and the American Dream', 'Howard Hughes:Hell's Angel'

by June Allysonreply 4202/23/2013

Ann Miller 1923 - 2004

“I never played politics, I was never a party girl, and I never slept with any of the producers.” (Ann Miller)

Ann claimed she could tap 500 times a minute

Her body was taken to Holy Cross Cemetery in Culver City, to be buried with her daughter that died 3 hours after she was born (Anne fell down stairs while 9 months preggers)

And yes R17 you are sadly correct. During an interview with Robert Osborne for Turner Classic Movies, Ann Miller said that when she was 9 months pregnant with Reese Milner's child, he got drunk one night, beat Ann up and threw her down a flight of stairs. Ann broke her back and had to give birth with a broken back.

by June Allysonreply 4302/23/2013

A great gif. of Ann and Linda tossing goodie bags to servicemen for Christmas at the Hollywood canteen.

(Courtesy of the swell Darnell fan in the Linda Darnell thread)

by June Allysonreply 4502/23/2013

Here is Ann Miller, Ethel Merman, and Miller's good friend and "Opposite Sex" co-star, Dolores Gray.

by June Allysonreply 4602/23/2013

Still I doubt she lied about the miscarriage - it impacted the way she MGM had to costume her in Easter Parade, if I recall from some book I read years ago - maybe Ann's biography which I took out of the library as a teenage gay boy who also saw and loved SUGAR BABIES in 1982.

by June Allysonreply 4702/23/2013

R44, no one can tell always the truth. However, why you say that about Ann Miller? Any details please? Ty.

Beautiful shot R45 and i'm going to watch now the full video R46.

by June Allysonreply 4802/23/2013

Kisses to R47 too. You seem cute by the way you write.

by June Allysonreply 4902/23/2013

Carn holders!

by June Allysonreply 5002/23/2013

Jud-deh, I can ring you up on Register Far!

by June Allysonreply 5102/23/2013

Wasn't she anti-gay?

by June Allysonreply 5202/23/2013

The Benderfrau of the species acts just like Anderson when confronted with evidence of Ben getting it on outside the relationship: he never acknowledged it, either.

by June Allysonreply 5302/23/2013

Those Punchy Players videos make me laugh out loud. The vocal impersonations are perfect.

by June Allysonreply 5402/23/2013

by June Allysonreply 5502/23/2013

Isn't this the same woman who doesn't know to take off her old make up before she puts new make up on?

by June Allysonreply 5602/23/2013

Ann Miller stole every scene in "Kiss, Me Kate".

by June Allysonreply 5702/23/2013

If her birth date was 1923, then she was just 14 in 1937's Stage Door.

Is that really possible?

by June Allysonreply 5802/23/2013

I read that her birth date was 1922 so 15 at Stage Door time. I wouldn't rely on what Ann said about her age. She lied for so many years she couldn't remember the truth!

There was the old joke: "Did you hear? Ann Miller fell and broke her hair!"

Oh, Mary, comment: Her dancing in Easter Parade alone would have made her cinematic reputation. (Plus she got to have scenes with the beautiful Peter Lawford.)

by June Allysonreply 5902/23/2013

Nice video indeed R46. :)

R57 as far as i know and you probably know that as well,"Kiss, Me Kate", was the favourite movie of Ann Miller among her movies.

And yes, guys, those Punchy Players videos are all the money! Thanks to you i grew fond of them, i haven't the slightest idea about them before.

by June Allysonreply 6002/24/2013

by June Allysonreply 6102/24/2013

Ann Miller has seen her hair right?

by June Allysonreply 6202/24/2013

When she died, I'm pretty sure sales of AquaNet plummeted.

by June Allysonreply 6302/24/2013

I loved Ann Miller. Her interviews in her later years were always great - the poster who said she was a kind of star we will never see again is right.

One of her best numbers was "Too Darn Hot" from "Kiss Me Kate," a movie that was pretty much one sexual double entendre after another, and very entertaining.

by June Allysonreply 6402/24/2013

R64 omg...from 1:23 until the end of this video Ann Miller is MAGICAL. PERFECTION! She was such a good dancer indeed. Wow. Incredible dancing! It's so wonderful, it's almost unreal. Flawless moments.

by June Allysonreply 6502/24/2013

Ann Miller is spirited, mischievous, and sexy with her trademark black hair, ruby red lips, and slender legs (“Why that's absurd, I wouldn't dream of displaying my legs,” snaps an icy Grayson as Lilli. “What's the matter with your legs? Are you knock-kneed?” Ann as Lois retorts.) Towards the start of Kiss Me Kate, Miller performs one of her famous tap dance routines (the studio line that she tapped 500 times a minute was a lie), and she is brilliant during her performance of “Too Darn Hot.” You never want the routine to end and you can't wait to see what she does next. Reportedly, for a number of her films, she looped the sound of the sped up so-called 500 taps, while watching herself on film, and then danced on a tap board to match with her dance steps in the film.

by June Allysonreply 6605/10/2013

Ann Miller

C. 1940s

by June Allysonreply 6705/10/2013

by June Allysonreply 6805/10/2013

With Agnes Moorehead

by June Allysonreply 6905/10/2013

Shades of...Ann

by June Allysonreply 7005/10/2013

What a broad!

by June Allysonreply 7105/10/2013

But nothing the Punchy Players has produced equals or surpasses their SHOW AND TELL WITH JUDY GARLAND, which is absolutely and brilliantly hilarious.

by June Allysonreply 7205/10/2013

Who's Ann Miller?

by June Allysonreply 7305/10/2013

Lol R72, wtf!

R73, open your eyes baby.

by June Allysonreply 7405/10/2013

Coco in 'Mulholland Dr'....

I love when Coco says to Betty:

'What you're telling me is a load of horse pucky even though it comes from a good place.'

Great line.

by June Allysonreply 7505/10/2013

Beautiful Ann Miller 1944 Portrait Photo From CAROLINA BLUES

by June Allysonreply 7605/11/2013

by June Allysonreply 7705/11/2013

Rare Ann Miller photo

by June Allysonreply 7805/11/2013

Strike the pose

by June Allysonreply 7905/11/2013

I love that dress. It's so smart and it suits her looks.

by June Allysonreply 8005/11/2013

1956 Ann Miller, June Allyson, Dolores Gray The Opposite Sex Wire Photo

by June Allysonreply 8105/11/2013

That's Ann Sheridan, not Dolores Gray

by June Allysonreply 8205/11/2013

Ok Mama.

by June Allysonreply 8305/11/2013

by June Allysonreply 8405/11/2013

Love it.

by June Allysonreply 8505/11/2013

But I want to hear more about the Ann Miller frog collection!!

by June Allysonreply 8605/11/2013

Judy to the rescue!!! Carn hawlders!

by June Allysonreply 8705/11/2013

Lol R87, hilarious! Great stuff.

by June Allysonreply 8805/11/2013

I only know who she is because she was in Mulholland Drive.

by June Allysonreply 8905/11/2013

Ann of a Thousand Taps

by June Allysonreply 9105/15/2013

[quote]I only know who she is because she was in Mulholland Drive.

Ann has the distinction of being in two of the greatest movie musicals of all time - "Easter Parade" and "Kiss Me, Kate", everyone ought to see them.

[quote]“People are starved for glamour, because there is so much dullness in their everyday lives. They look to stars to provide it, off screen as well as on…”

Ann's dedication to the public is inspiring.

by June Allysonreply 9205/15/2013

Q: Annie are you working on Passover? AM: Oh honey, you know I don't do game shows.

by June Allysonreply 9305/15/2013

Cyd Charisse has got her beat as she was actually in the 2 greatest EVER Hollywood musicals Singin' in the Rain and The Bandwagon.

by June Allysonreply 9405/15/2013

I did my own singing, Cyd.

by June Allysonreply 9505/15/2013

Annie was sensational in "Sugar Babies" on Broadway. I couldn't believe how wonderful she was.

by June Allysonreply 9605/15/2013

Ann Miller had the glamour and magic of her era. Wonderful dancer and actress.

by June Allysonreply 9705/16/2013

I have heard that when Ann lost her baby, she would go to the baby's grave often and cry saying, oh my baby, baby. Her heart was broken for the rest of her life because she lost her baby. She wanted a child so much. I think she was not able to have a baby after what that monster did to her.

Here is a bit of gossip about Sugar Babies. I worked this lady who had a friend who was a dancer in Las Vegas. She said, When Sugar Babies was in Las Vegas she was one of the background dancers. She said Mickey Rooney drank like there was no tomorrow and when he drank, he was thee nastiest people she ever met in her life. I should have asked about Ann Miller but I didn't think at the time.

by June Allysonreply 9805/16/2013

Maybe Mickey Rooney introduced Ava(Gardner) to heavy drinking R98.

by June Allysonreply 9905/16/2013

"What did she do to her nose in the 1960s?"

For some weird reason, many people have their nose done when they have their face lifted, even if it's just a slight nose "adjustment" like Ellen Degeneres had. Other nose jobs w/facelifts: Betty Ford, Andy Williams, Kim Novack.

by June Allysonreply 10005/16/2013

[quote]Cyd Charisse has got her beat as she was actually in the 2 greatest EVER Hollywood musicals Singin' in the Rain and The Bandwagon.

Judy Garland beats Charisse with "The Wizard of Oz" and "Meet Me in St. Louis".

by June Allysonreply 10105/16/2013

I saw Ann in "Sugar Babies", and "Follies". She's seen as a joke to some idiots, but she was truly sensational in both. I knew a dresser from "Sugar Babies" who had only lovely things to say about Ann.

by June Allysonreply 10205/16/2013

Ann bemoaning the lack of glamor on the Mike Douglas Show in 1976 with the cast of That's Entertainment II (Fred Astaire, Jane Powell, Gene Kelly, Janis Page, Debbie Reynolds, and Nanette Fabray).

by June Allysonreply 10305/16/2013

Thank you, R103.

by June Allysonreply 10405/16/2013

When and why did she switch from the huge hairdo to the pulled-back Spanish dancer look?

by June Allysonreply 10505/16/2013

[quote]When and why did she switch from the huge hairdo to the pulled-back Spanish dancer look?

She switched because her accountant advised her to cut her $80,000 a-year [italic]Aquanet[/italic] budget.

by June Allysonreply 10605/16/2013

Thank for posting this, OP, but I don't hear her bemoaning today at all, in fact I hear her praising Sandra Bullock in Speed, rightly challenging anyone to imagine Lana Turner doing something like that, praising Sigourney Weaver for her strong roles, etc., and simply telling the truth: that people in Hollywood did the same things in the golden age that they do now, but did them behind closed doors. I don't hear her saying that it was better before at all, she's merely describing social changes, and, on balance, approving them.

by June Allysonreply 10705/16/2013

Good post, R107.

by June Allysonreply 10805/17/2013

It always surprises me how Ann Miller, who saw herself photographed in so many gorgeous Technicolor films over the years in a range of luscious brunette shades, could settle in on flat kohl-black as her dye swatch of choice for her elder years.

by June Allysonreply 10905/17/2013

She and Linda Darnell were very interesting to watch.

by June Allysonreply 11005/17/2013

Long (six-part ) interview with Ann on youtube.

It's pretty interesting, if you're interested in this sort of thing, e.g., golden age recollections. I'm at home recovering from minor surgery, so maybe it's just the lortab.

by June Allysonreply 11105/17/2013

Most golden age stars ended up their career with some sort of schlock--Miller is probably the only one who went out in a classic: Mulholland Drive.

by June Allysonreply 11205/17/2013

indeed, her role was kind of shocking.

by June Allysonreply 11305/17/2013

Actually R112, Ann Miller ended her career with the BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIMES. Yes, Mulholland Dr. stands out from all the stuff that there is so far out there. I don't think that something like that can be repeated in cinema with such perfection ever again. It even surpasses its influences. It amazes me again and again, and i'm pretty sure, i'm not the only one who feels like this about this masterpiece.

by June Allysonreply 11405/17/2013

Yes, there is nothing like Mulholland Dr. Cinema can be such an experience only a few times. I worship David Lynch. I love Ann Miller too. She gave her aura in the film and i discovered what a great dancer she is in her musicals. She could be so grand in all kinds of films from musical and comedy to drama.

by June Allysonreply 11505/18/2013

[quote] When and why did she switch from the huge hairdo to the pulled-back Spanish dancer look?

She didn't so much a switch as alternate them

by June Allysonreply 11605/18/2013

I watched the full interview and she said she never worked with Micky ,but she worked on Sugar Babies with him? I'm confused. Did she have a some memory issues? Over all, I loved the interview, but I disagree that she went along with the today's sloppy Hollywood. I got the impression she was trying to say, this what people are like and want today verses years ago, it was a special time and it's not the same.

by June Allysonreply 11705/19/2013

[quote]I watched the full interview and she said she never worked with Micky ,but she worked on Sugar Babies with him?

Did she mean she never worked with him in pictures?

by June Allysonreply 11805/19/2013

Yes, I think she meant she never made a film with him.

The entire interview, all 8 parts, is worth watching. Amnnie so gracious and generous about other Hollywood stars and producers (LB) and actually quite lucid for her advanced age.

But who is the idiot interviewer? And were there interviews with other stars that were part of this on line? They keep referencing an interview with Janet Leigh.

by June Allysonreply 11905/19/2013

R118, she said she knew him very well but never worked with him. You sound like you nailed it.

by June Allysonreply 12005/19/2013

Janet Leigh interview, R119:

by June Allysonreply 12105/19/2013

R121, I watched the full interview, thank you! Janet Leigh seems really honest,and straight forward. Have you read her autobiography? anyone? is it good?

by June Allysonreply 12205/19/2013

The Rita Moreno interview is also good.

by June Allysonreply 12305/19/2013

What is the context for these interviews?

by June Allysonreply 12405/19/2013

[quote]What is the context for these interviews?

I don't know, but I'm glad someone had the foresight to interview Hollywood stars so that future generations could hear their thoughts.

Another Ann interview:

by June Allysonreply 12505/19/2013

R121, nice interview! I like so much Janet Leigh. I haven't read her autobiography so far, it's not available, but i have read Tony Curtis'. Maybe, some other type, i'll post here his comments about Janet. Now i'm too tired to do that.

by June Allysonreply 12605/20/2013

*maybe some other day, i'll post here his comments about Janet

by June Allysonreply 12705/20/2013

Did Ann Miller knew Janet Leigh in person?

by June Allysonreply 12805/20/2013

Nice legs Ann

by June Allysonreply 12905/20/2013

Ann Miller working her magic

by June Allysonreply 13005/20/2013

[quote]Did Ann Miller knew Janet Leigh in person?

Yes. They made "Two Tickets to Broadway" together. Even most stars in the studio system who didn't work together knew each other just from working in the same studio.

I think the MGM commissary eventually became the Lorimar commissary.

by June Allysonreply 13105/20/2013

What an interesting photo!

Nice concept.

by June Allysonreply 13205/20/2013

R131, thanks for replying sweet cheeks

by June Allysonreply 13305/20/2013

"Ann believed deeply in the spirit world, and said she was often visited at night by the great MGM dancing star Eleanor Powell. Miller insisted that in a past life she was Hatshepsut, the first queen of Egypt, whom she believed was murdered, along with her sister, by their half-brother. Ann visited Egypt three times, where she cried incessantly.

On her last visit, a guard in a Cairo museum escorted her towards the sarcophagus of a female pharaoh. As Ann approached, she claimed she was bitten by an asp, just like Cleopatra was. Although no asp had been seen in Egypt for thousands of years, Ann was flown out by helicopter, and spent three weeks in a hospital where she nearly died. She stated, "It was a warning. The spirits don't want me to return there." She also said. "I've been recycled many times, honey. My hand has so many lifelines, it looks like an old monkey's paw." "

by June Allysonreply 13405/20/2013

Wow, what an amusing link R134. How bizarre and how nice!

by June Allysonreply 13505/20/2013

I adore Ann but I'm still finding it hard to swallow she (1923-2004) was 14 when she made 1937's Stage Door.

Then again, I guess they always built 'em tall in Texas.

by June Allysonreply 13605/20/2013

Ann Miller was a classic sensation, and as Coco...she lingered on exquisitely in Lynch's masterpiece.

by June Allysonreply 13705/20/2013

Ann Miller with Janet Leigh:

by June Allysonreply 13805/20/2013

Ann Miller as The Mystery Guest on What's My Line?, publicizing the upcoming opening of The Opposite Sex, which John Charles Daly erroneously proclaims is not a musical (because Ann Miller doesn't dance in it!).

I guess she was about 30 at the time of this appearance and as impeccably groomed as ever.

by June Allysonreply 13905/20/2013

R138, i guess Ann got really along with Janet.

In the biography of Janet Leigh, written by Michelangelo Capua you can read (It's not Ann Miller's words but of the writer's):

'Janet was unbelievably loved by almost everyone, especially in the entertainment business. As a crewmember said once to her daughter Jamie Lee, Janet was the only person he ever worked with for which no one had said anything unpleasant about her character. She was always smiling and ready to help someone in difficulties.

Janet always downplayed her achievements, yet she felt a great responsibility toward her fans, whom she tried to make happy by being approachable and available all the time. She once said:'We hold people's dreams in our hands. We should keep the old image of Hollywood alive. Every time i go to a black tie function i always wear something spectacular. People come to me and say,'you look like a movie star.' And i say,'Well, isn't that what we're supposed to be?'

by June Allysonreply 14005/21/2013

Ann Miller and Janet Leight are both yummy and very interesting. I love to learn stuff about them, and i like to bring them in my mind. Nice images.

by June Allysonreply 14105/22/2013

Ann Miller with Arlene Dahl and Lex Barker

by June Allysonreply 14205/29/2013

Va-va-va voom.

by June Allysonreply 14306/18/2013

Just reading through these posts and came across a few things I'd like to "clear up."

Ann didn't "switch" or "alternate" hairstyles out of boredom or a need for change. Her natural hair was naturally coal black in color, and fell all the way down her back. She wore it "Spanish style," pulled back in a bun with her famous spitcurls in everyday life and for personal appearances. For performances, she wore specially made wigs, simply because she disliked all the work and time it took to style her natural hair as she had experienced in her MGM days. The wigs were, for her, the ideal of movie star glamour, a part of her "Star Lady" mentality.

Secondly, about the death of her child. Indeed, at 9 months pregnant, she was thrown down a flight of stairs by her husband, brought about by one of his drunken rampages. This caused a broken back and premature labor, and the baby died a few hours later.

It is incorrect in saying that Ann visited the child's grave often. After the child died, Ann's brute of a husband had the child buried in a secret location. Ann didn't know the location of the grave until shortly before she herself died, at which point, the baby was exhumed. The child's casket was placed on top of Ann's and they were buried together.

As far as her nose goes (and age, for that matter), Ann denied having any cosmetic surgery at any point, which is obviously a lie, considering the drastic changes her features made over the years. She was a sweet, genuine, talented person, but even people like that should sometimes be taken with a grain of salt.

by June Allysonreply 14412/12/2013

She was interviewed for a Judy Garland A&E biography and it took all of whatever minimal amount of negativity that was in her to admit that Judy was "often a bit late" to the set.

by June Allysonreply 14512/12/2013

*hugs Eric(R144)warmly for taking time to write all this

by June Allysonreply 14612/13/2013

Thanks, Eric, and please share more Ann stories.

by June Allysonreply 14712/13/2013

According to Cheryl Crane, Lex Barker was majorly hung.

by June Allysonreply 14812/13/2013

Oh really r148, and all this time I thought Lana was fascinated by Lex's brain.

by June Allysonreply 14912/13/2013

Arlene bitch, what did you think of Lana back that time?

by June Allysonreply 15012/14/2013

Well, Lex did attend Princeton.

by June Allysonreply 15112/14/2013

Punchy Players are awesome, thanks R19.

by June Allysonreply 15212/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!