Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cybill Shepherd

Why has hollywood been so cruel to her?

by Anonymousreply 10109/12/2013

I used to love "Cybill". I wish she'd make a return to comedy.

by Anonymousreply 101/07/2012

Cuz her face.

by Anonymousreply 301/07/2012

Let's get real, she's had more of a career than her small talent and huge attitude deserved.

by Anonymousreply 401/07/2012

Probably one of my five favorite "Moonlighting" moments.

Bitch could make an entrance.

And sing.

by Anonymousreply 501/07/2012

She was born lucky--only a few people are as good-looking as she was. And she had a big career in movies and TV.

So, are we supposed to feel sorry for her?

by Anonymousreply 601/07/2012

She always sounded flat to me R5.

by Anonymousreply 701/07/2012

What R4 said. She actually got quite a good run considering how limited her talent was.

by Anonymousreply 801/07/2012

She got branded as a bitch - bossy, independent, tough woman - and that was it. She does remind me of my mom in that a beautiful woman's power is fleeting. Better have a nest egg by 40 or the rest of your life isn't going to be fun.

by Anonymousreply 901/07/2012

She turned my role in Follies!

by Anonymousreply 1001/07/2012

Here, R5. This is what she was trying to do.

I happen to like Cybill. She has a wicked sense of humor. I also think she's one of the actresses people mean when they say that it's okay for men to be demanding but when women do it, they're bitches.

But she's had a decent career. Sure beats anything Scarlett J or most of the rest of the new girls have done.

by Anonymousreply 1101/07/2012

Loved Moonlighting, very witty and well-written and Shepard and Willis had fantastic chemistry.

Sadly, after Shepard got pregant and her character came back married to the guy she met on the train the show started to go downhill. It seemed like after the characters FINALLY slept together, the writers didn't know what should come next since the first three seasons were spent building up to that monumental moment.

by Anonymousreply 1201/07/2012

She's always been disliked, and no wonder. She's an awful person, very cunty, always was.

When she was with Peter Bogdonavich they were both profoundly hated, for a lot of reasons. First of all, they were absolutely full of themselves and expected everybody to love them as much as they loved each other (and themselves). Bogdonavich tried to turn the minimally talented Shepard into a movie star but his efforts (Daisy Miller, At Long Last Love) flopped big time. Shepard tried to have a singing career and released an album; that also flopped. After they broke up, things got a little better for both of them. Bogdonavich had a few movies that did sort of well, but his glory days were long over. Shepard got the "Moonlighting" gig, which was a success, but it would have been a success with any number of actresses in the Mattie role. Bruce Willis was the one who became the big star; after Moonlighting was over, Shepard's career started sliding again, as well it should have. She's NOTHING as an actress, as well as being as snotty, bitchy Hollywood cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1301/07/2012

Moonlighting was a great show and had the potential to run several more seasons, but CS' killed it.

I'll never say what went wrong, but there are plenty of people who know all the details, and someday the story will be told.

by Anonymousreply 1401/07/2012

Elvis fucked me!

by Anonymousreply 1501/07/2012

[quote]Why has hollywood been so cruel to her?

Oh, I'm sure having to work with Jennifer Love Hewitt isn't *that* horrible.

by Anonymousreply 1601/07/2012

Her problem is she thinks she's a clown like Lucille Ball, and she isn't. When she's funny, it's when she was reacting to someone else. She wants to be the funny one. She doesn't know how to share comedy.

She doesn't know how to share comedy.She did the same thing in "Moonlighting" and "Cybill". She became jealous of her co-stars in both because they were the funny ones and getting all the laughs. She insisted the writers have her do more broad, physical comedy. Disaster ensued.

She should have looked to Mary Tyler Moore rather than Lucy as a role model.

by Anonymousreply 1701/07/2012

What r13 said. She would have no career at all if she had not hooked up with Bogdanovich whose talent evaporated very quickly too. I never saw Moonlighting but enjoyed the Cybill series, mainly for Christine Baranksi.

by Anonymousreply 1801/07/2012

Career-stealing bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1901/07/2012

Its interesting Cybill Shepherd pulls the feminist card when the real reason boils down to herself as the problem. So many people hate her because she thinks she is God's gift to the world, and she gets pissed off when men turn her down because she thinks she is this ravishing goddess. In reality, the woman was never that pretty ,and she always looked like a farm girl. However, I have to say, I truly loved her show Cybill and I just thought it was hilarious. I miss that show a lot. I remember watching Cybill and Christine Baranksi being interviewed together ,and Cybill said, I made Christine! I made her career and you can see Christine Baranksi face ready to burst out with anger. Chistiane was one pissed off woman in that interview because before Christine Baranksi went on the Cybill show, Christine Baranksi had made a name for herself in Broadway, and she was well respected in Broadway.

BTW, I remember when Susielee was asked about Cybill, she said she was completely gross.

by Anonymousreply 2101/08/2012

She has two gay daughters. She supports both of them. She's alright in my book

by Anonymousreply 2201/08/2012

On Deadline.com the other day when she was mentioned for a new show the comment thread was immediately filled with insiders talking about how much of a bitch she was and how they hated working with her.

by Anonymousreply 2401/08/2012

So what if she supports gay rights. She can still be a bitch and horrible to other people in the entertainment industry.

by Anonymousreply 2501/08/2012

She did a TV movie in 1978 with Barbara Feldon called "A Guide For The Married Woman." Peter Marshall was in it so was Elaine Joyce.

by Anonymousreply 2601/08/2012

Still, she did etch herself into film history no less than two times by appearing in Taxi Driver and The Last Picture Show. That's pretty cool.

She CANNOT fucking sing though, the otherwise excellent sitcom where she played a character coincidentally called Cybill Sheridan (ego alert) was frequently ruined by her awful caterwauling. It was of course The Christine Baranski Show anyway in reality and I bet she must have laughed at her singing.

by Anonymousreply 2701/08/2012

r27

Shepherd's singing talent is debateable. But Baranski is worse as a singer.

by Anonymousreply 2801/08/2012

Probably because she's a known bitch. She even said in a magazine interview several years ago that during "Moonlighting" she would fly into blind rages and threw a chair at a director once.

That kind of attitude isn't going to fly for long.

by Anonymousreply 2901/08/2012

Loved her in that Martha Stewart movie

by Anonymousreply 3001/08/2012

Most definitely a nod R11, but not a recreation or imitation. Perhaps done with a wink as Hayworth's former husband Orson Welles was the "guest host" for the episode's intro.

From the same episode, but giving the character a more virginal Doris Day image.

by Anonymousreply 3101/08/2012

She got pregnant by Elvis, had a late term abortion and then ate the fetus!

by Anonymousreply 3201/08/2012

She is talented and hard to work with. Loved her interactions with Christine Baranski.

by Anonymousreply 3301/08/2012

I'm reading Cybill Disobediance, her autobiography. Cybill has quite the wit.

by Anonymousreply 3409/07/2013

Not many Hollywood stars (and I mean real stars) would be ballsy enough to talk about getting DPed.

by Anonymousreply 3509/07/2013

Considering what little talent she has, I'd say Hollywood has been very good to her.

And I don't believe she was ever pregnant by Elvis. I remember her saying he wouldn't go down on her, though. I believe that.

by Anonymousreply 3609/07/2013

[quote]She got branded as a bitch

That's like saying Shamu got branded as an orca.

by Anonymousreply 3709/07/2013

When she was involved with Peter Bogdonovich they were so full of themselves that they were cordially loathed by everyone.

She was a presenter at the Academy Awards and instead of saying the names of two of the movies nominated she said the names of two Bogdonovich movies. It was so stupid and idiotic that people thought she was drunk. But I think I remember her saying in her memoir that she did it on purpose, as a joke. Some joke! But maybe she was lying; maybe she WAS drunk. Who knows? Anyway, she made an absolute fool of herself and was hated even more after that.

by Anonymousreply 3809/07/2013

"Still, she did etch herself into film history no less than two times by appearing in Taxi Driver and The Last Picture Show. That's pretty cool."

She "etched herself into film history" by fucking the right men. Nothing "cool" about that.

by Anonymousreply 3909/07/2013

They cast her in "Taxi Drier" mostly out of desperation. Paul Schrader described her character in the screenplay as "a Cybill Shepherd type," and when no one could agree on which real actress to cast in the part, they finally asked Shepherd almost as a joke, because no one thought much of her as an actress. She's neither bad nor good in the part--she's just kinda there.

by Anonymousreply 4009/07/2013

"And I don't believe she was ever pregnant by Elvis. I remember her saying he wouldn't go down on her, though. I believe that. "

R36 - Yes, she said that about Elvis in her memoir.

by Anonymousreply 4109/07/2013

If only I'd been seen for the part.

by Anonymousreply 4209/07/2013

Shelley Hack is a poor imitation of Cybill.

by Anonymousreply 4309/07/2013

Cheryl Tiegs is a poor imitation of Cybill.

by Anonymousreply 4409/07/2013

Everything negative about Cybill on this thread nay well be true, except for this from r21:

[quote]In reality, the woman was never that pretty ,and she always looked like a farm girl.

No. She was stunning and quite believable as boys' dream girl in 'The Last Picture Show," and she was gorgeous in some of her later roles (Daisy Miller and even the first season of Moonlighting, when she needed to be, at least).

Whatever else you may say about her (and maybe she is in fact one of the bitchiest actresses ever to have bitched, but probably not without reason), it is so not fair to say she "was never that pretty."

She was pretty, and funny, and talented. So maybe she could have been a bigger star had she been more, uhh, accomodating.

by Anonymousreply 4509/07/2013

[quote] She was pretty [...] talented

I go back and forth on that. She was frequently so awful, and not just in the 1970s - as recently as last year on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 4609/07/2013

To call her "talented" is a stretch. She came off well in LAST PICTURE SHOW because she was basically playing a version of herself.

The only other films where she's bearable are THE HEARTBREAK KID and TAXI DRIVER. In DAISY MILLER and more so in AT LONG LAST LOVE her acting is embarrassingly amateurish.

I never saw MOONLIGHTING, but on CYBILL she always seemed to be trying too hard much of the time. The laughs came mostly from the other actors - she always seemed slightly outside of her "character" instead of actually playing it.

by Anonymousreply 4709/07/2013

We don't like her here much, either. Her brother was hot when he was younger but has always been kind of nuts.

by Anonymousreply 4809/07/2013

Her comeback on Moonlighting wsa huge at the time (mid 80s), and critics were up her butt about her and the show. And she indeed came back to Hollywood a much, much better actress. On the first 3 seasons she had impeccable coming timing and even had a chance to shine in a few dramatic moments on the show . A lot of the attention went to Bruce Willis as the funnyman of the show but I always thought Cybill was better. Her reactions to his character were spot on.

After she got pregnant, it all went downhill, acting-wise. You could tell she didn't want to be there and her acting was mechanical at best. To be fair, the scripts were nowhere as good as during those amazing firest 3 seasons. She managed to get a few movies between Moonlighting and Cybill but none of them were good (her reputation preceded her) and as an actress she no longer had the same fire she had during her comeback years.

On Cybill, she had her moments but always seemed to be trying to hard during the comedic scenes, IMO. She fought with Chuck Lorre who wanted her to be the straight man in the relationship with Baranski...as she had so excellently done during the heyday of Moonlighting. Cybill santed big Lucille Ball momemts on that show and got him fired. I think she was terrified of having CB outshine her the way she perceived Bruce Willis did during Moonlighting.

She should have listened to Lorre.

by Anonymousreply 4909/07/2013

She was very pretty but it was always that cornfed look.

by Anonymousreply 5009/07/2013

R45 - Right, she was gorgeous. She was not a stick, but she was stunning.

She had wonderful timing in Moonlighting. Yes, the show went downhill after season 3, but that ws not because of Cybill's lack of talent.

By the way, she was named after her grandfather (Cy) and her father (Bill).

by Anonymousreply 5109/07/2013

R43: Definitely disagree, I would much rather watch Shelley Hack than Cybill Shepherd any day.

by Anonymousreply 5209/07/2013

r52

In print, you mean?

by Anonymousreply 5309/07/2013

I quite liked "Chances Are"

by Anonymousreply 5409/07/2013

Rate Cybill's performance in this scene from "Daisy Miller" on a scale of 1 to 10.

by Anonymousreply 5509/07/2013

R53: Either. Shelley was very under-rated as an actress.[italic]Charlie's Angels[/italic] was already dead by the time she joined the show; she was just a convenient scapegoat.

She was at least as good an actress as Cybill.

by Anonymousreply 5609/07/2013

Cybill used to beat off and dry hump her grandfather for money.

by Anonymousreply 5709/07/2013

r57

Not only dry hump but peg.

by Anonymousreply 5809/07/2013

One thing in Cybill's favor is she was vocal about gay rights back in the 80s/early 90s long before it was a fashionable cause to be associated with.

by Anonymousreply 5909/07/2013

Meh. Elizabeth Taylor did a lot more than Ms. Cybill, and earlier, too.

Ms. Cybill will always be tainted with that Bogdanovich stench.

by Anonymousreply 6009/07/2013

Young Cybill

by Anonymousreply 6109/07/2013

R50 - Given her Memphis roots, cornbread fed.

by Anonymousreply 6209/07/2013

For all her shortcomings, she did deliver one of the greatest TV movie lines in history, from Martha, Inc.:

"Hey, SLUT! I'm writing your mother a letter telling her you're a WHORE!"

by Anonymousreply 6309/08/2013

CUNT

by Anonymousreply 6409/08/2013

Bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 6509/08/2013

I love her but would like to mention that I think that the end of her nose has grown abnormally rotund and lumpy in her later life.

I've heard our noses and ears continue to grow through our entire lives but never have I seen this fact demonstrated so clearly as seen with Cybill.

by Anonymousreply 6609/08/2013

booze r66

see "Ted Kennedy"

by Anonymousreply 6709/08/2013

Leave! Cybill! Alone!

She died of the Roman fever---isn't that enough?

by Anonymousreply 6809/08/2013

Wasn't particularly bright of her to include that Elvis anecdote, given that other bed partners have disagreed. What she's revealing is really that he felt he had to provide an excuse for not wanting to do this with her, which doesn't seem something a thinking person would want to brag about.

by Anonymousreply 6909/08/2013

I met her and worked with her briefly. I saw her as a fun woman and nice to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 7009/08/2013

Peter Bogdanovich is a world class creep.

by Anonymousreply 7109/08/2013

"I also think she's one of the actresses people mean when they say that it's okay for men to be demanding but when women do it, they're bitches."

I'm so tired of this old saw.

Sometimes, they really are just bitchy. Do other women call demanding women bitches for doing what men do? Other women are also misogynists?

Tough, independent woman don't have insecure meltdowns over the fact that one of their co-stars is getting funnier lines and demand they be cut. Christine Baranski is notably silent on Cybil.

by Anonymousreply 7209/08/2013

When I was young I used to find her stunningly beautiful. Now when I look back at the same pictures I see a vacant look in her eyes, I wonder if she looks stupid.

by Anonymousreply 7309/08/2013

Check out this 1974 profile of Cybill and Bogdanovicb. Notable in that it's the zenith of their careers (post-Paper Moon, pre-Daisy Miller) and because the usually fawning People magazine doesn't bother disguising contempt for them both.

by Anonymousreply 7409/08/2013

Oops. A link would be helpful.

by Anonymousreply 7509/08/2013

Cybill has a knack for picking talented but incredibly difficult to work with co-stars. The Eve Harrington-ish rumors about one were already discussed in Cybill's book (she spoke to many who had work with this one on the great white way and they all told her that said person was very talented but to "watch your back")

The other one was at the tail end of a long list of co-stars considered for the role. Said person only got the job after someone else turned it down. And said person also has a reputation for being quite difficult on the set and there was a movie even done about what a difficult shit he could be. But this actor has has mended fences with Cybill, and they both appeared together and spoke glowingly of each other on the DVD commentary. This actor has also credited Cybill as being instrumental in his career.

Not saying Cybill was all sweetness and light, (she even admits she wasn't) but there are usually two sides to every story. And in both of these actors cases, it was their big breaks.

by Anonymousreply 7609/08/2013

Nice work if you can get it

And if you get it

[bold]*W~O#N@'T*[/bold] *Y^O&U* show me howwwww....

by Anonymousreply 7709/08/2013

[quote]Her problem is she thinks she's a clown like Lucille Ball, and she isn't.

It's a very long line of women with that affliction, from Deb Messing to Fran Drescher, from Amanda Bynes to Wendy Maleck. They're just attractive women who want to "de-glamourize" themselves in the name of legitimacy, and since they can't pull off drama (like a Grace Kelly or an Audrey Hepburn), the only option left to attempt is pratfalls. The more stunning the chick, the harder the pratfall.

[quote]Its interesting Cybill Shepherd pulls the feminist card when the real reason boils down to herself as the problem

Again, a very long list of bitches who do that.

by Anonymousreply 7809/08/2013

If Cybill Shepherd and Jerry Seinfeld were to be cast in the same comedy sketch, they'd look like two amateurs trying to make each other laugh.

Add a young Jeremy Miller (Ben Seaver in "Growing Pains") and you would have an all-out smirkfest.

by Anonymousreply 7909/08/2013

Cybill said that Scorsese cast her in Taxi Driver partly because hse had a big ass.

by Anonymousreply 8009/08/2013

I never saw this but OMG, I might just watch now.

Cybill is channeling some Dunaway in Mommie Dearest moments here!

by Anonymousreply 8109/09/2013

A moderately talented, at best, beautiful girl becomes a movie and tv star and you call that cruelty?

by Anonymousreply 8209/09/2013

She's a cunt, but she used to be absolutely gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 8309/09/2013

I think R40 nails it, not just her presence in Taxi Driver but in movies and television in general. She's just there and you end up looking past her or thinking of who else would have made the role special.

It reminds me of this exchange from 30 Rock when Liz is trying to look good for her new boyfriend.

Liz: Cerie, do I look OK?

Cerie: That's EXACTLY how you look.

by Anonymousreply 8409/09/2013

In R61's photo she looks like Chloe Sevigny's prettier sister.

by Anonymousreply 8509/09/2013

[quote]"I also think she's one of the actresses people mean when they say that it's okay for men to be demanding but when women do it, they're bitches."

No, they're just bitches.

Jodie Foster, Meryl Streep, Goldie Hawn ... I can think of plenty of women in Hollywood who are demanding and wield power and none of them are universally considered BITCHES.

by Anonymousreply 8609/09/2013

She was great in Moonlighting and surprisingly touching in Chances Are. I wouldn't say Hollywood's been too cruel though. Looking at her IMDB she's worked quite a lot the last few years in shows like L Word and Psych. Had a regular gig as a sassy mom on Client List. Upcoming has that Paula Deen SVU episode which will obviously be a riot and filmed a movie with Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson directed by Bogdanovich. When that flops at least it will be a Bogdanovich flop where she won't take the blame. That'll be saved for Jen.

Compared to a lot of actresses of her era she works a lot in guest star roles. I dunno why but I sorta like big Cybill. Always been a character at least. Nowadays unless your Lindsay Lohan or Bynes meltdown level , your just plain boring.

by Anonymousreply 8709/09/2013

R86 Goldie's had her moments. Goldie fought a lot with Jonathan Demme during the making of Swing Shift and allegedly gotsome good scenes of Christine Lahti's cut. Let's face it though, a bit of jealously is normal.

I see people calling Cybill a bitch and cunt. I know Cybill and Bruce had some fights but Bruce is not the easiest to work with either and as mentioned upthread they get on well now and full of love on the DVD extras of Moonlighting.

Cybill was jealous of Christine Baranski on her own show but I never heard of her being an outright bitch to Baranski or anyone else on the cast. She has a reputation but I don't ever recall reading of any printed quotes or incidents of her being an actual nasty bitch. Same with Debra Messing. She seems to have that reputation here but do we have any actual proof? Any actual quotes from co-stars? Be good to read the real dirt rather than "insiders" on set quoted in the Enquirer. They must be out there somewhere!

by Anonymousreply 8809/09/2013

Martha, Inc looks great! Thanks, R81!

by Anonymousreply 8909/09/2013

Cybill looked better in profile.

by Anonymousreply 9009/10/2013

[quote]If Cybill Shepherd and Jerry Seinfeld were to be cast in the same comedy sketch, they'd look like two amateurs trying to make each other laugh.

Wow, that's a terrific observation. I always had the same problem with CS and I did with Seinfeld. Always seem to be outside the character.

by Anonymousreply 9109/10/2013

Remember the Candice Bergen rule: If a woman is attractive and can do comedy, she can have a successful career in Hollywood

by Anonymousreply 9209/10/2013

Candace Bergen was completely overrated on Murphy Brown, as was that show.

by Anonymousreply 9309/11/2013

R93, you are 100% correct. Bergan and her show had moments, but overall, like Designing Woman, the characters just seemed like mouth pieces for the writers' politics. Often times the creativity/ability was lacking to incorporate their philosophies into their characters.

by Anonymousreply 9409/11/2013

Chances Are is a very underrated movie. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 9509/11/2013

She's probably neither the bitch of all time nor the easiest person in the world to work with. The truth, as usual, is somewhere in between.

What she is, however, is a very attractive actress of limited talent who sometimes makes an effective impression and at other times is completely out of her depth.

She has done a great deal with what she had and there's certainly no truth to the fact that Hollywood reviles her. She's done quite well.

by Anonymousreply 9609/11/2013

R96 I agree, she has done well. Apart from Bruce and Christine (who both have never apparently came out and publicly badmouthed Cybill it seems) I've read people like Jane Lynch and Jennifer Love Hewitt both saying they loved working with her.

Being with Bogdanovich and Sue Mengers meant she was well connected from the start. I remember reading Sue saying that Cybill and Barbra Streisand were both clients at the same time. Cybill arrived on set of What's Up Doc to see Bogdanovich and the male crew members were loving her and Barbra said she was too distracting and told Bogdanovich never to bring her again.

by Anonymousreply 9709/11/2013

I knew someone who worked on the Moonlighting set back in the day. He said Moonlighting's decline wasn't all Cybill's fault, but it was mostly hers. Some astute posters have pointed out that Cybill was a better "straight man" when it came to comedy, which is actually tough to do. But she wanted to be the funny one and she wasn't. Deep down she knew it. But her ego wouldn't let her take the unappreciated role.

She not only resented Bruce Willis, but she also resented Allyce Beasley and Curtis Armstrong for getting the funny lines. She particularly resented Bruce Willis, though, because Moonlighting was supposed to be her star vehicle, but Willis became even more popular than she was. Her resentment became impossible, though, when Willis started to become a movie star, something she'd have rather been. At the time, she thought TV was beneath her. To see her co-star realize her dream just about killed her.

She got into stupid power struggles with the producers and held up schedules, missed episodes, etc. Eventually, everyone on the set hated her. Willis checked out and wanted to be a movie star. He didn't care about the show anymore, but she didn't help matters.

I remember my friend saying that he only rarely used the word cunt, but he never heard it used more often or more deservedly than when it was directed at Cybill on the Moonlighting set.

by Anonymousreply 9809/11/2013

Similarly, R98, on the CYBILL set, she actually had a rule in the writers' room that no scene could end on a joke for Mary Ann (Baranski). Her desire to be the "funny" one killed the comedy.

by Anonymousreply 9909/11/2013

Cybill aged better than Candice.

by Anonymousreply 10009/11/2013

[quote] Her resentment became impossible, though, when Willis started to become a movie star, something she'd have rather been. At the time, she thought TV was beneath her. To see her co-star realize her dream just about killed her.

I've posted this on another thread but one of of the Moonlighting DVD commentaries with Bruce and Cybill, Bruce brings up two of his popular movies (I forget which ones - maybe Die Hard and Pulp Fiction?). Immediately, Cybill references The Last Picture Show and The Heartbreak Kid. Hilarious.

In another commentary, she starts crying for no reason and you can sense the uncomfortable silence of the show's creator, Glenn Gordon Caron, sitting next to her and shifting in his chair...

by Anonymousreply 10109/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.