Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Annoying trend in restaurants

Anyone else had their waiter come over to the table and sit down or squat next to the table? I've noticed this in quite a few places lately and I don't like it. Seems presumptuous and overly chatty. I just want my food and drinks brought over to me efficiently and I will be pleasant and leave a good tip but I don't want to be their new BFF.

by get off my lawn tooreply 6312/30/2012

I've never had this happen in my life. I'd ask them what the hell they were doing if they did that to me.

by get off my lawn tooreply 201/07/2012

Waiters have been doing this for years now. They come over and basically get down on one knee at the side of the table to give the list of specials, take a drink order etc. It is creepy.

by get off my lawn tooreply 301/07/2012

Is there some reason for it R3? Do the managers/owners tell them to do this?

by get off my lawn tooreply 401/07/2012

Or it could be viewed as the waiter taking care to not stand over the patron and not force the patron to look up at them - which in most settings would be considere more rude and demeaning to the person sitting.

by get off my lawn tooreply 501/07/2012

I've seen it before as well, and often wonder if it's because -- in a noisy restaurant -- the server wants to make sure they hear the order loud and clear.

by get off my lawn tooreply 601/07/2012

What are they doing? Two things:

1. They are trying to establish that they are your friends. Because no matter how lousy the service is, one does not yell at one's friends. And

2. Farting.

by get off my lawn tooreply 701/07/2012

Who the fuck cares? As long as they bring me my food/drinks/etc. they can sit on my lap for all I care.

by get off my lawn tooreply 801/07/2012

It's not new. I've had it happen to me several times, but not in the last year or two.

And yes, I find it annoying.

by get off my lawn tooreply 901/07/2012

A friend manages a restaurant and he says some are trained that way thinking the faux friend thing will get them bigger tips. I've always found it annoying.

by get off my lawn tooreply 1001/07/2012

Don't flirt, Christina

by get off my lawn tooreply 1101/07/2012

There was an article a couple of years ago on tricks to boost your tips. That was one of them.

by get off my lawn tooreply 1201/07/2012

Squatting waiters should be banned unless they're wearing a kilt.

by get off my lawn tooreply 1301/07/2012

it's not a trend. it's been done for decades, and I'm cool with it. I am not bitchy or unkind to people.

by get off my lawn tooreply 1401/07/2012

It's only happened to me in places where r6's comment could have explained it.

by get off my lawn tooreply 1501/07/2012

If they want a bigger tip, include a blow job with the chardonnay

by get off my lawn tooreply 1601/07/2012

My tip is bigger already, R16, but that generally involves kneeling rather than squatting.

by get off my lawn tooreply 1701/07/2012

I have on ly seen it done in noisy chain restaurants where it;s the only way you and the waiter can hear one another.

by get off my lawn tooreply 1801/07/2012

That can't be right, R18. I've seen it done, and I've certainly never been in a chain restaurant.

by get off my lawn tooreply 1901/07/2012

Do little people waiters do the same thing?

by get off my lawn tooreply 2001/07/2012

If you think that's overly casual, I once had one come sit next to me in a booth while going over the specials.

by get off my lawn tooreply 2101/07/2012

By "the same thing," do you mean oral sex? They're always very convenient for that.

by get off my lawn tooreply 2201/07/2012

As a deaf eldergay I find it very helpful and reassuring.

by get off my lawn tooreply 2301/07/2012

What is, R23? Oral sex from midgets?

by get off my lawn tooreply 2401/07/2012

Have you ever thouht of explaining to your waiter exactly what you stated in your post? It would seem a more efficient manner to get your message across than this rather obtuse posting process on a gossip message board.

by get off my lawn tooreply 2501/07/2012

[quote] Or it could be viewed as the waiter taking care to not stand over the patron and not force the patron to look up at them - which in most settings would be considere more rude and demeaning to the person sitting.

In what world do you live, R5? I have no problem with my servants standing over me when they serve dinner. Neither have any of my ancestors.

by get off my lawn tooreply 2601/07/2012

I remember doing it back in my waiter days when it was a) very VERY loud or b) very crowded and the tables were very close together. When you are very close, the customer sometimes has to crane his neck too far to be comfortable. I always got very good tips because I try to make people comfortable.

If I were you I'd try to get over myself, OP.

by get off my lawn tooreply 2701/07/2012

R26

by get off my lawn tooreply 2801/07/2012

MARY!

by get off my lawn tooreply 2901/07/2012

It's the return of a late 90s trend OP.

by get off my lawn tooreply 3001/07/2012

R25 = squatting waiter

by get off my lawn tooreply 3101/08/2012

Went to dinner with my parents at Outback (they chose it) and the waitress sat in the seat next to us. Too close for comfort and she was trying the cutesy act. I am with the people who say just serve me and I will give you a nice tip, I don't want such close contact.

by get off my lawn tooreply 3201/08/2012

They probably can't hear!

by get off my lawn tooreply 3301/08/2012

I have regular servers at most of the restaurants I go to. I ask for them by name. Sometimes they sit at an open seat and take the order. I ask them about their children, they ask about my mother. I am a great tip; they know it. When I have specific food requests they are executed quickly and without complaint. One time I failed to make a reservation at a very popular restaurant and my regular server saw me in line and walked me directly to a table.

I am willing to pay for this kind of familiarity.

If a new server in a new restaurant did this to me on my first visit, I would ask their name and request them again.

by get off my lawn tooreply 3401/08/2012

R1 = Pure Idiot Cunt.

Look up "empathy," cunt. You don't even know what it means. And of course you don't know what professionalism, service standards and appropriate detachment mean.

Cunt.

by get off my lawn tooreply 3501/09/2012

I always like it better when they do this. I have never had someone sit at my table to take my order and then be rude to me. Maybe it is harder to dehumanize someone you sit down with.

by get off my lawn tooreply 3601/09/2012

This doesn't bother me at all.

However I did have a waitress park her ass right next to mine in a booth and sip some of my martini! Just said hi, how are you and sipped my drink from the opposite side of the glass.

We called the manager over and she was let go immediately.

Got my dinner for free, too!

by get off my lawn tooreply 3701/09/2012

Some waitstaff may be under orders from management to do it. It was either here or at Bitterwaitress that someone mentioned it was part of Outback's training, so it's not surprising R32 had such an experience. Is Outback owned by a corp that owns other restaurant chains?

by get off my lawn tooreply 3801/09/2012

Dipshit @ R35. R1's quote is a recent successful thread title. Why don't you look up the meaning of "irony" since you apparently spend a lot of time reading the dictionary.

by get off my lawn tooreply 3901/09/2012

[quote]I am willing to pay for this kind of familiarity.

R34, that kind of "familiarity" makes most people cringe because they're smart enough to realize it's 100% bullshit. Waiters are not your friends and they really don't give a shit about your mother. Sorry, they're only sucking up to you for a tip. Unless it a family business, the waitstaff at most restaurants is a revolving door, with 6 months as the average length of employment. There can be no real familiarity.

Furthermore, I'd raise hell if a server went to the back of the line and pulled someone ahead of me to be seated.

by get off my lawn tooreply 4001/09/2012

[quote]However I did have a waitress park her ass right next to mine in a booth and sip some of my martini! Just said hi, how are you and sipped my drink from the opposite side of the glass.

Really? That's way over the line.

by get off my lawn tooreply 4101/09/2012

This happened to me the one and only time I went to an Outback restaurant. I first thought that my dining companion knew the server, and vice versa. Then we asked the woman why she was sitting with us and she admitted the management required them to do this to creat a more intimate dining experience. We basically told her it was intrusive.

I don't typically eat at chain restaurants so I think it's something "corporate" thinks is effective.

by get off my lawn tooreply 4301/09/2012

r40, of course it is a professional relationship. But we talk about their children, their problems, on occasion I have given advice on professional matters that were appreciated.

But you see, life is all about interacting with people, and the less you objectify people the better the relationship.

I picture them serving you as they would a strange dog needing a bowl of dog food. Kinda like a fast food relationship.

I, on the other hand, enjoy being treated like a loved, fat cat. It's a good thing.

by get off my lawn tooreply 4401/09/2012

I hate when they do this too. Had it happen at a Chili's last week. He was hot (great ass) but I was still irked that he sat down.

by get off my lawn tooreply 4501/09/2012

What kind of restaurants are you going to where waiters act in this way? I've never heard of such a thing.

by get off my lawn tooreply 4601/09/2012

[quote]Went to dinner with my parents at Outback (they chose it) and the waitress sat in the seat next to us. Too close for comfort and she was trying the cutesy act.

Same thing happened to me at Outback, and it's the only time I recall it happening. Given R43's comment, I assume this is a "rule" forced upon wait staff by upper management.

by get off my lawn tooreply 4701/09/2012

I hate it too OP.

by get off my lawn tooreply 4801/09/2012

[quote]{I} enjoy being treated like a loved, fat cat. It's a good thing.

"Fat Cats" are never treated with such familiarity, only the people held in contempt -- like Outback patrons.

by get off my lawn tooreply 4901/09/2012

They do/did train servers to do this at Outback. Not sure about other places. Where I grew up everyone worked at restaurants, and most people had at least 2 jobs. I worked at a family restaurant with a dining room manager who also worked at Outback. She would recruit servers from there sometimes. All the Outback servers would do this and we would have to re-train them not to. This was in the late 90s.

by get off my lawn tooreply 5001/09/2012

I'm a waiter at a very high end restaurant, and I do it sometimes. I do it for a few reasons. Primarily, it's so the guest doesn't have to look up and talk louder than he needs to. It's also a good opportunity to rest for just a moment: do you know what it's like to be on your feet for that long?!? It's also a good way to show the guest that you're there for them, that you're not ready to run off to take care of someone else.

I had NO idea that people were offended by it. Perhaps I will stop.

by get off my lawn tooreply 5101/09/2012

I actually hate when a waiter tries to be overly friendly. I don't really care what your name is, don't really care what you think is good on the menu and don't appreciate being interrupted 50 times when I'm trying to have a convo with my partner and eating my dinner. I find this trend is chain restaurants and it's really annoying to me.

by get off my lawn tooreply 5201/09/2012

[quote]Given [R43]'s comment, I assume this is a "rule" forced upon wait staff by upper management.

What about me?

by get off my lawn tooreply 5301/09/2012

R39, those of us who have not memorized each of the the "recent successful thread titles" but who recognize the difference between irony and too-obscure turdettes invite you to pull that cracked, asp-like tongue back into your head. If you have abandonment issues, look in the mirror for answers.

by get off my lawn tooreply 5401/10/2012

never heard of this sort of thing but then again it really depends on the type of restaurants you usually eat at...

by get off my lawn tooreply 5501/10/2012

Agree. Hate servers who do this. Also tired of being asked "is this the first time you've dined with us?" or "have you been here before?"

by get off my lawn tooreply 5601/10/2012

The only time I've ever experienced this was in a tiny restaurant in Barcelona with only 5 tables or so with a fixed menu that changed on a daily basis. The chef who ran the restaurant would come by each table, explain the meal, ask if anything needed to be changed for dietary reasons, explain where each food item was sourced from, etc. Actually, I quite liked it because it felt like being invited to someone's place for a very nice dinner where, in addition, you actually got to learn something about the food.

by get off my lawn tooreply 5701/10/2012

A visit from the chef is a very different proposition from an overly familiar waiter. A visit from the chef is considered an honor, whether it should be or not. And many chefs certaily enjoy implying that it is one.

by get off my lawn tooreply 5801/10/2012

Annoying trend in restaurants... EVERYTHING served on a fucking pile of garlic mashed potatoes! Jesus - get over the mashed potatoes already!

by get off my lawn tooreply 5901/10/2012

Can I add that I hate it when, after I give my order, the waiter says "No problem"? As though I have asked of him something that could, for another waiter, be a problem, but he, being the spunky, resourceful, magnanimous soul that he is, will find a way to do it anyway? Because I'm hearing this more and more, and I really hate it.

by get off my lawn tooreply 6001/10/2012

My pet peeve is service people who say "mmm hmmmm" and "uh uh." Instead of yes and no. Lot's of younger people are doing this now and it drives me crazy. I want to say, "take the marbles out of your mouth and speak to me properly using WORDS."

by get off my lawn tooreply 6101/10/2012

r60, look up the No Problem thread for peeps that share the opinion...

by get off my lawn tooreply 6201/10/2012

They are just being friendly and coming down to your level to be able to look at you at eye level.

by get off my lawn tooreply 6312/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.