Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ronnie Burns

That boy is so fucking attractive on the Burns and Allen Show now being shown on Antenna TV.

I wish he was still alive so I could write him a helluva fan letter.

by Anonymousreply 5110/17/2013

No different than enjoyng James Dean or Elvis Presley or Montgomery Clift. Just appreciating an image or personality from a bygone day.

by Anonymousreply 301/07/2012

Forgot the link

by Anonymousreply 901/07/2012

Was this gossip at the time or is it a new theory?

by Anonymousreply 1001/07/2012

Discussing all things Burns and Allen, was what we always heard Gracie's natural speaking voice or was it a put-on?

by Anonymousreply 1101/07/2012

I think it's her natural voice, although she had a brogue until she started her act with George Burns in about 1925.

by Anonymousreply 1201/07/2012

Please. Ronnie was not George's son. They picked him up at the orphanage, and chose him because he was the most sickly of the kids there and Gracie said he needed them the most.

The adopted daughter, Sandy, is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 1301/07/2012

I recall Ronnie on the B&A Show stopping by with his good friend Dick Chamberlain (before anyone knew who he was) and my TV nearly burst into flames with those two. Ronnie was the gay, no?

by Anonymousreply 1401/07/2012

Gracie was just adorable, such a national treasure. How sad that she died so young and is totally forgotten today.

The Burns and Allen Show was really cleverly written, dare I say far better written than I Love Lucy. Glad to hear it's getting a little revival on Antenna....whatever that is.

by Anonymousreply 1501/08/2012

I remember watching that show as a teenage girl back in the 70s (it used to run late at night on PBS, I believe) and just being smitten with Ronnie Burns.

If it's true that he was gay, then I was batting 1.00 since I always fell for the gays back in my teens and early 20s.

by Anonymousreply 1801/08/2012

I can see, & hear, Gracie Allen saying that to a friend. Smart girl, & funny.

by Anonymousreply 2101/08/2012

I always figured the Burns' marriage was loving but sexless, much like their BFFs the Bennys, who also adopted, I think.

by Anonymousreply 2201/08/2012

I'm so sorry that Sandra is gone, now, too. I wanted to write and tell her howmuch I enjoyed her parents work, and that I've read most of her father's books.

by Anonymousreply 2301/08/2012

R20, I found that out right after posting about her still being alive. They sure didn't publicize it much, and I couldn't find out anything about dates or circumstances - only that she had lived in San Diego. Both of the Burns kids dies pretty young, really.

Thanks for the correction and update.

by Anonymousreply 2501/08/2012

Ronnie actually had just three children, all sons, all by his first marriage. He has six grandchildren. S

Sounds like he really led a charmed life, got out of show business pretty quickly and happily and just invested the family money in real estate and raised and raced a fleet of Arabian horses.

by Anonymousreply 2601/08/2012

Sandra Burns-Day died on August 12, 2010 in Newton Massachusetts

by Anonymousreply 2701/08/2012

Another vote for the hotness that is Ronnie.

And after seeing their similiar jawlines, I do wonder if he is George's natural son. There is an awful lot of obvious love between the two on ther TV show.

by Anonymousreply 2801/09/2012

I think it's funny how so many of those sit- coms that had been around for years, realized by the late 50s that they could bring in a whole new teen audience by exploiting the charms of the young male actors who'd been hired originally as young kids.

Ozzie and Harriet was the ultimate in this case, of course with son Ricky.

Ronnie was also constantly parading a slew of gorgeous and curvy young starlets as his prospective girlfriends on Burns and Allen, as well.

by Anonymousreply 2901/09/2012

George Burns appearantly was indeed, "a womanizer".

Burns' love for and loyalty to Gracie has never been questioned. Rather, he appeared to have been swept up in a culture of Hollywood-style entitlement in which spouses, wives in particular, 'knew', but looked the other way. They may have considered such dalliances a small price to pay for living the privileged lifestyle offered by their husband's celebrity. Some speculate that Hollywood wives might have welcomed such outsourcing, as if sparing them of submission to the demands of husbandly perogatives.

The most compreshensive expose available on Burns is "George Burns and The Hundred-Year Dash", by Martin Gottfried. Published shortly before Burns' death, the book cites son Ronnie's memories of the infamous condom incident. A housekeeper had emptied the pockets of Burn's clothing, preparing them for dry cleaning. Finding the condoms, and naively assuming they were intended for use with Gracie, she removed the rubbery accessories, discreetly placing them on a bedroom night stand. Imagine Gracie's shock upon discovering them, since she and George were by then believed to be living a celibate lifestyle.

Still, Gottfried's book offers testimony from friends and associates that Burns' appetite for the company of other women had been on-going, and often in cohoots with pal Jack Benny, whose own suspected affair with actress Ann Sheridan was one of Hollywood's worst kept secrets.

Whether Gracie ever knew the depth of George's alleged philandering is anyone's guess. But the condom fiasco must have tipped her off to at least one of his indiscretions.

by Anonymousreply 3010/03/2012

On Antenna, there was recently an episode with Ronnie in a bathing suit and he looked fine. Later in the episode, George Burns was shown in the pool and I was surprised how hairy he was (I know, most people have never thought about what Burns looked like shirtless).

by Anonymousreply 3110/03/2012

Was Ronnie really the son of George from an affair and or was Ronnie gay? Did it bother Ronnie to be known as the adopted son of so in so?

As for him being biological son of George no. There is proof he was adopted by both. Was he gay? It seems very likely to me that he was in fact gay and as the normal thing back then to get married to a female for public reasons but many gay men today are married and in the closet for other reasons; mostly men in the States over age 40 since science proves homosexuality is natural and done deal before birth but it was not always that way in science. I'm sure he had a good life and many lovers if not just one guy he spent most of his time with. To say he was not gay would go against my gaydar and my gaydar has never failed.

I think it logical that he felt bad being known as the adopted son of so and so. That should have been a private matter but not in Hollywood those days. Being gay; everything that could be done to cover it up was done but being adopted, was front page news as if the Stars had done the most wonderful of all things.

by Anonymousreply 3212/07/2012

Jack Benny was a 'mo.

George Burns was straight and couldn't have kids as he suffered from mercury abuse. This is what they treated syphilis and gonorrhea with before antibiotics.

Gracie always had a bad heart and didn't want to risk child birth.

Jack Benny was a big ol' 'mo

by Anonymousreply 3312/07/2012

[quote]To say he was not gay would go against my gaydar and my gaydar has never failed

Honestly, I can never tell whether some of you are joking or not.

by Anonymousreply 3412/07/2012

[31]: what episode was that with George in the pool? I remember as a kid being turned on to how hairy he was.

by Anonymousreply 3512/07/2012

Was Ronnie very hairy, too? That might just prove something.

by Anonymousreply 3612/07/2012

I saw the pool episode. I don't know what the title was but the plot was Ronnie and his friend arrange to get lifeguard jobs at a Mexican resort and they have to brush up on their swimming and lifeguard duties before the resort owner shows up. For some reason, George and Harry pretend to be the boys when the owner arrive.

by Anonymousreply 3712/07/2012

Because of this thread, I went over to Amazon to order a dvd of the Burns and Alen shows.

Well, much to my dismay, it sounds from the reviews like all the various dvd collections are poorly made junk! What a disappointment.

Is there a good collection? Any advice?

by Anonymousreply 3812/07/2012

Massive pussyhound.

Big Dewey supporter.

by Anonymousreply 3912/07/2012

Bangged Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 4012/07/2012

Ronnie Burns then, in the 50s and early 60s was VERY fuckable and spankable with that nice ass of his. It could have been that it was set up so that Ronnie, as an "orphan", was conceived by George with Gracie's consent involving a woman who was paid to have George's child, but who was this woman and how much did they have to pay her to have the pregnancy and to keep her mouth shut? The orphanage from which he was adopted is called "The Cradle" and is a Catholic institution (he was raised as a Catholic, his adopted mother's religion; George was a lukewarm Jew) in Illinois. I'm wondering if The Cradle would have the record of Ronnie Burns' biological parents and if his offspring have the right to find out.

by Anonymousreply 4112/07/2012

Ronnie certainly looked a lot like George. As others have said, their heads were the same shape and they had the same hairlines, among other features. Who knows, maybe George did the same thing Loretta Young did with her "adopted" daughter, who was the spitting image of Clark Gable.

by Anonymousreply 4212/07/2012

He certainly DID NOT bang Lucy, R40. Lucy was game, but Gary talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 4412/08/2012

by Anonymousreply 4512/08/2012

Here he is playing Aussie Footie

by Anonymousreply 4612/08/2012

by Anonymousreply 4712/08/2012

Here's when he got arrested for possession.

by Anonymousreply 4812/08/2012

Well, he certainly didn't age like George but thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 4912/08/2012

I just ran across this post Oct 2013 and just what kind of language is this to post. I can tell whoever wrote this that if Ron Burns was still alive he would have more sense that to even want to be attracted to this fowl description. Trash talk belongs in the alleys and dives and gettos of any color baby cakes!

by Anonymousreply 5010/17/2013

The anecdote George Burns tells in his book about cheating on Gracie very much downplayed his dalliances. He wrote about it as if it were a one time thing. It wasn't. He cheated on her constantly.

Watching Jack Benny, there is no way he was straight. I always assumed he was in love with George Burns. Everyone hated Benny's overbearing, shrewish wife Mary Livingstone.

by Anonymousreply 5110/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!