Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Stomach Issues

For several years now I have had constant bloating, a sense of fullness, gas issues and at times I get so bloated I feel like my system is backing up, I get light headed, can't concentrate, a general foggy feeling that also leads to a very foggy headache. Also have missed days of work due to these issues. Just to name a few issues with my stomach.

I have had two endoscopy's and two colonoscopy's. I was told I have minor acid re-flux. I was given omeprazole for the issue. But no one can seem to narrow down what is causing these issues.

Can anyone talk from experience and lend some insight.

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 4804/06/2012

OMG OP just went thru an episode two nights ago that lasted over 24 hours and is so fucking painful I couldn't lay down let alone sleep for all the time it prevailed. It's happened to me twice before in a period of two years, each time it lasts a little longer.

I was ready to leave a note to my cat and dog (who were wondering WTF was wrong with me crying and pacing all over) and jump out the window.

It feels like a piercing, constant cramp on my stomach that can only be alleviated by forcing myself to throw up - but only for a few minutes after which the pain comes back double (I assume because more acid/digestive guck builds inside an emptier stomach).

I am not sure if its severe indigestion, acidity, an ulcer, or poisoning. All I know is none of the typical OTC remedies work. I end up throwing them up.

I am still a bit weak and will be consulting with a gastroenterologist to at least be more prepared for the next flare. This is more than just gas and I join you in requesting advice.

by Anonymousreply 101/04/2012

Have you been tested for celiac disease?

by Anonymousreply 201/04/2012

Diabetes OP. The inability to break down the sugar causes painful bloating. Get your sugar checked.

by Anonymousreply 401/04/2012

Also get a small bowel series. I have Chrohn's disease and for years was only diagnosed with reflux. But I also wound up with Crohn's appendicitis (chronic sub-acute --- makes suicide seem like a reasonable option) and have also had ilial blockages secondary to fibrotic changes. None of the that will show up on a scope.

Good look

by Anonymousreply 501/04/2012

OP, are you male or female? If you are a woman you need to discuss this chronic bloating with your gynecologist. From what you have described you probably have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, but bloating can be associated with ovarian cancer as well.

by Anonymousreply 601/04/2012

Go grain, legume, and dairy free for 30 days. See what happens.

by Anonymousreply 701/04/2012

What r7 said, but do it sequentially so you can figure out what it is. You're describing all the symptoms I had before I cut out wheat, and I tested negative for celiac.

by Anonymousreply 801/04/2012

You sound fat. Move your ass.

by Anonymousreply 901/04/2012

OP, I have terrible reflux, and the one thing I've learned is that omeprazole has a MAJOR rebound effect, so never take it for a few days and abruptly stop, or you will be up all night with horrible acid/vomiting, etc. If you suddenly stop, the acid goes wild.

You have to take it religiously for a few weeks to get relief.

by Anonymousreply 1001/04/2012

Diagnosis: Fattie!

by Anonymousreply 1101/04/2012

Similar symptoms, for many years. Now diagnosed as borderline Diabetic. I control it with diet and exercise so far. But here's the thing. I am also lactose intolerant, so no dairy except yogurt, and I have stopped gluten, red meat, and processed meats and foods.

Upped my fiber with Metamucil and I drink lots of water. No alcohol, no soda, Coke, etc. No caffinated coffee. I have things under control, I am regular, no gas, no bloating, and I can now enjoy a glass if wine from time to time. Eggs don't seem to bother me now and I can eat cheese as long as I don't have more than an ounce or two. Try it.

by Anonymousreply 1201/04/2012

OP, just wanted to say that I am not taking any medication for it. Docs will try to put you on meds for everything, but really this is something you should start controlling with dietary habits first, then supplement it with Pharma if you must. As I said, the only meds I take is Metamucil. What R4 said about sugaris true. Don't eat sweets. I eat some things, but I am very careful.

by Anonymousreply 1301/04/2012

OP, I had the same symptoms as you for about a year and ended up with a diagnosis of GERD. Currently taking Nexium and Domperidone, and my symptoms are largely under control. The nausea, fogginess and vertigo are gone. I could be a bit more careful with my eating habits, however.

by Anonymousreply 1401/04/2012

OP here, male mid 40's, in shape, also lactose intoleran.t Going back to doctor with all the suggestions - celiac disease, GERD, Chrohn's disease, Diabetic and IBS. I also could change my eating habits.

by Anonymousreply 1501/04/2012

OP, I have IBS and had the extreme bloating you describe. I cut back on a lot of foods but it still continued. Turned out I had gall bladder problems, I ended up getting my gall bladder removed, and it all went away. The acid reflux that got pretty bad the last couple years went away too. I had a lot of gallstones, and passed some.

My weight hasn't changed, and I can now eat more types of food than before without discomfort. The IBS even went away except for very rare stress related instances.

I don't know why, but gall bladder problems are extremely common now. Maybe get yours checked out. Google the symptoms and see if they apply to you.

by Anonymousreply 1601/04/2012

Try this Clean Program You will have a colon like Gwyneth in a month Seriously, I was miserable for 10 years, bloating, gas, tested neg for celiacs, but did this for a month, eliminated all food allergens and then tried them one at a time, found a serious gluten intolerance, cut it out and feel great - and lost 15 lbs to boot

by Anonymousreply 1701/04/2012

R1 it sounds like you might have gallstones.

My symptoms were identical.

by Anonymousreply 1801/04/2012

[quote] "For several years now I have had constant bloating, [italic]a sense of fullness"[/italic]

[bold] MARY!! [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 1901/04/2012

Agree with R18 and you might also have your pancreas checked out.

by Anonymousreply 2001/05/2012

Hairballs. Some Vaseline mixed with tuna fish will help them pass through.

by Anonymousreply 2101/05/2012

OP, you may be gluten intolerant or on becoming Celiac.

Try to have a gluten free diet for a couple of weeks and see if it make a difference. Alternatively, go to your doctor and ask for a Celiac penal test.

by Anonymousreply 2201/05/2012

[quote]Celiac penal test

To see if you can digest prison food?

by Anonymousreply 2301/05/2012

It sounds like it may be a chronic case of IBS but you really need to get checked out op.

by Anonymousreply 2401/05/2012

I had similar problems, OP. This past year, at my doctor's suggestion, I eliminated gluten and dairy and feel a million times better. Good luck to you!

by Anonymousreply 2601/05/2012

[quote]have had two endoscopy's and two colonoscopy's

Here's an insight: An apostrophe does not make a plural. You mean endoscopies and colonospies.

by Anonymousreply 2701/05/2012

r18, thanks for the observation. I've looked it up and, besides matching symptoms, I'm even in the demographic (Hispanic).

I will most definitely have my doctor take a look.

r25- as disgusting as it was, your instruction pamphlet was hysterical and very well put together. W&W

by Anonymousreply 2801/05/2012

I would agree to look into the gallbladder. Sometimes, causes like sludge don't show on an ultrasound and have to be diagnosed with a CT scan or HIDA. Gallbladder removal is the most performed operation in the States (and some say the most unnecessary operation) and laparoscopic surgery is a breeze. If you need it out, get it out but get at least two opinions.

I had similar symptoms that persisted for four months before I was finally diagnosed with a malfunctioning gallbladder. Had the surgery, was back at work in four days and all the symptoms are now gone. It's been two years and it was a great decision.

by Anonymousreply 2901/05/2012

Gallbladder problem? If you are a woman, ovarian cancer? Is it your stomach or your lower intestinal track? Maybe you are allergic to something you are eating?

by Anonymousreply 3001/05/2012

R1, I agree, that's pretty similar to how it felt when I was passing gallstones. You may also feel pain between your shoulderblades, or right under your heart (pancreatitis).

If it is gallstones, and you have to have your gall bladder out, don't worry. I had the laparoscopic surgery and was out of the hospital in a few days. The only reason it was so long is that I waited too long and got pancreatitis. It's better to take care of it right away than wait, you just get more miserable as time goes on. At the end I was passing gallstones at least once every couple of weeks.

There are two tiny scars, one like a spot, one like a narrow line about 1/2 long, eventually they faded completely away and you can't see anything. The day after I left the hospital, my stomach was sore and it was hard to bend over, but that went away after about 3 weeks. I had to start doing housework again straight from the hospital, after a day or two I started getting sick from pushing it too soon. I recommend bed rest for several days if you can manage it. You'll feel a lot better right away, even if you're sore.

by Anonymousreply 3101/05/2012

It depends on the person but I was in surgery at 7am and back home at 11am. It was the easiest outpatient surgery I could have imagined. Even recovery was mild considering I had an organ removed.

by Anonymousreply 3201/05/2012

Same-day surgery for me, pain meds, good to go.

by Anonymousreply 3301/05/2012

take metamucil -- 2 tablespoons every morning in a glass of water

by Anonymousreply 3401/05/2012

Take Acidopholous every day to keep the good bacteria in your gut balanced.

by Anonymousreply 3501/05/2012

I agree to check into the gallbladder. The scopes can't diagnose it and you shouldn't have had to have two of each.

by Anonymousreply 3601/05/2012

Don't let them leave any stones in the bileduct or you will be sick for weeks.

by Anonymousreply 3701/05/2012

You'd be shocked at how many people are having problems with their gallbladder. I had a super surgeon in LA who also does lapband surgery. Outpatient, no complications and all symptoms are gone.

by Anonymousreply 3801/05/2012

You need some parasites.

Humans are now too "clean" and it's causing all kinds of health problems.

by Anonymousreply 3901/05/2012

The cure for Chron's disease.

by Anonymousreply 4001/05/2012

r1 here. I needed to revive this thread to thank r18 for his armchir diagnosis. I just came back from picking up my test results and they clearly indicate cholelithiasis, i.e. gallstones!

Had I not paid r18 some mind, I'd be sitting here thinking I suffer from indigestion. Luckily the pancreas and ducts are alright, but gallstones with symptoms have to be addressed, lest they complicate into pancreatitis, etc.

Again, thank you r18. May you reap karmic rewards elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 4102/15/2012

r18, just back from gall-bladder removal (laparoscopic surgery) I had thanks to your initial diagnosis...right here on Datalounge!

Recovering nicely and looking forward to processing fats painlessly (no Val Kilmer jokes please)

Again, thanks

by Anonymousreply 4204/06/2012

[quote] looking forward to processing fats painlessly

Check that out with your doctor. From something I overhead recently, I think that lack of a gall bladder might create some discomfort.

by Anonymousreply 4304/06/2012

This sounds like the situation with the conversation that I overheard...

by Anonymousreply 4404/06/2012

Sorry, here's the link...

by Anonymousreply 4504/06/2012

r45. The incidence of what your link describes is 2% of all people whose gall bladders are removed.

by Anonymousreply 4604/06/2012

It's diverticulitis.

by Anonymousreply 4704/06/2012

[quote]You'd be shocked at how many people are having problems with their gallbladder.

Shock? Not really. What with our food supply contaminated. Now revealed even if you thought you were eating fresh ground beef, it had that "Pink Slime" with ammonia, stuff the body was never meant to ingest.

by Anonymousreply 4804/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.