Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Carol Burnett Show

As requested on another thread, I'm starting this one. Yes, I know this has probably been a DL thread before.

Favorite skits/episodes?

by Anonymousreply 15703/31/2014

by Anonymousreply 101/04/2012

The bloopers

by Anonymousreply 301/04/2012

This little bit cracks me up.

by Anonymousreply 401/04/2012

Not up on YT, but I loved "Raised to Be Rotten," co-starring Richard Crenna and Ruth Buzzi.

by Anonymousreply 501/04/2012

I read that big book on SNL and if anything was deemed corny or if a performer broke character, they would say, "So Carol Burnett!"

by Anonymousreply 601/04/2012

PBS aired a short series called Masters of Television about pioneers and innovators in the 50s and 60s. The segment on variety shows features the Carol Burnett Show with some interviews. It's worth a look. And I think the sitcom segment shows Burnett on the Lucy Show performing "Hard-hearted Hannah."

by Anonymousreply 701/04/2012

One of my favorites (though I think it may have just been a blooper):

by Anonymousreply 801/04/2012

I'm sure the 'classics' will get many votes, so I'm posting a little known favorite of mine - a flashback skit where Eunice and Ed are on their first date:

by Anonymousreply 901/04/2012

"Went With The Wind." Absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 1001/04/2012

The "As the Stomach Turns" skit where Carol plays the crusty old matriarch who after letting out the slightest tittle says "Oh, my side."

Mike Myers stole that bit, I think in I Married An Axe Murderer.

by Anonymousreply 1101/04/2012

"Feelings....woe-woe-woe..." LOL

by Anonymousreply 1201/04/2012

Mrs Wiggins was a hoot

by Anonymousreply 1301/04/2012

Carol nailed Esther Williams in a great spoof. She is swimming backstroke & she bumps her head against the side of the pool.

by Anonymousreply 1501/04/2012

I loved her show. Why, oh, why did she have to get her jaw built up? It turned her perfect feminine comic face into a hard masculine mask. Nothing she did after that was ever as funny and appealing as her work before the surgery.

by Anonymousreply 1601/04/2012

Damn that Eunice/Mama's skits were seriously dark comedy. I even thought so as a kid, but they are really pretty brilliant. Heartbreaking but hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 1701/04/2012

The old movie takeoffs were great. But there were a couple sketches where Carol sang, relatively straight. One with "In Buddy's Eyes" and another with "Send in the Clowns." She had a great way with a song, comedy aside.

by Anonymousreply 1801/04/2012

I always thought there was something a little sad about her getting that chin implant at the age of 50 or whatever she was.

I can understand more the feeling that drives an aging person to get a face lift - they don't like the change their face is undergoing as it progressively wrinkles and sags, and they want to try to restore it to how it previously looked. I'm not saying I feel that's a healthy response to the normal human process of aging, but I get it - something's changing and you want to try to stop it.

But to be 50 and feel "Something is so wrong with the basic structure of my face that I want something implanted to correct it"... it just seems sad to me that somebody would reach that age and not long since have made peace with their face. And I guess I'm specifically sad because it's Carol Burnett - it doesn't particularly matter to me what somebody who's a little "out there" like Cher chooses to implant, shave off, etc. - but Carol seems to have such a good head on her shoulders that it makes me sad that apparently well into her adult life she still bore such insecurity about the way she looked.

by Anonymousreply 1901/04/2012

Some of my favorite "Family" sketches:

The Family play "Sorry"

The Family and Mickey Hart play Charades

The Family visit Mickey Hart's apartment

Ed's trip to Chicago

The Family visit brother Jack (Tommy Smothers) in the hospital

The Family and sister Ellen (Betty White) clean out Thelma's attic

The Family have Christmas with brother Larry (Alan Alda) who has managed to avoid them for five years

The Family have a conference with son Bubba's teacher (Maggie Smith)

A flashback skit with Ed and Eunice as young twenty-somethings and Thelma screaming at "Carl", who refuses to leave the bathroom

Eunice and Mama pay a visit to Ellen, who obviously wants to get them the hell out of there because she is expecting guests and is ashamed to be associated with her awful mother and sister

Thelma's birthday; Eunice goes berserk and screams about "Duke Reeves! Duke Reeves! Duke REEVES!" to her sister Ellen

Thelma breaks her leg and Eunice and Ed are stuck with her

Eunice finally goes to see a psychiatrist, with Thelma in tow

The "Family" skits were frequently incredibly funny, but they were also frequently painful to watch. The end of the "Gong Show" skit was like getting a punch in the gut, really shocking.

by Anonymousreply 2001/04/2012

I grew up with the show, but never cared for the movie take-offs because I was unfamiliar with the source material. Today, having seen most of the classic films of the 1930s and 1940s, I'd probably love those skits -- but I was too young to appreciate them then.

One skit I loved, and which used to be on Youtube, featured Carol as a wife whose husband is kidnapped. She nervously relates the story to a TV reporter, but when they have to reshoot the segment a couple times, she becomes increasinglyy dramatic, as if she's an actress filming a movie scene.

by Anonymousreply 2101/04/2012

The thing that was so awesome about the "family" sketches was that they had NO JOKES. She said that in an interview and I thought, no way….but there really were no traditional joke/punchline jokes. It was all laughing at the characters (even when it was a little uncomfortable).

by Anonymousreply 2201/04/2012

R1 - that movie, "A Stolen Life" was just on TCM this week and all I could think of watching it was Carol Burnette's take-off. Hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 2401/04/2012

by Anonymousreply 2501/04/2012

Mine is probably one that nobody but myself will recall. She was in hairpins, had cat glasses and a slip on dress acting like a hip jazz singer doing 'Lady Is A Tramp'. It was just so random and stand alone.

Another one was her version of Esther Williams where she hits her head on the side of the pool.

by Anonymousreply 2601/04/2012

I remember "The Lady is a Tramp" too. It was fun to watch how she could perform a straight song well and be funny doing it at the same time, like Fanny Brice or Bea Lillie.

by Anonymousreply 2701/04/2012

Mildred Fierce!

The "Family" episode where they clean out Mama's attic and Betty White slyly reveals how they ate Eunice's pet bunny for dinner one night traumatized me as a child.

by Anonymousreply 2801/05/2012

[quote]Mine is probably one that nobody but myself will recall. She was in hairpins, had cat glasses and a slip on dress acting like a hip jazz singer doing 'Lady Is A Tramp'. It was just so random and stand alone.

See R4

by Anonymousreply 2901/05/2012

Their take on Love Story with Carol in a long, dark-haired wig, flairing her nostrils, and Harvey in a Ryan O'Neal blonde wig, waving a hockey stick around.

by Anonymousreply 3001/05/2012

Has anyone talked about "The Lady Is A Tramp" or the Esther Williams parody?

I bet I'm the only one who remembers those!

by Anonymousreply 3101/05/2012

Tim Conway as a dentist; Harvey Korman as the patient. Tim accidentally injects himself in the leg with novocaine and tries to work on Harvey with a numb arm and leg.

I loved when Harvey broke character and laughed.

by Anonymousreply 3201/05/2012

R20, your post proves why with this stupid controversy over the DVDs somone should release a DVD of JUST the Family sketches, uncut, all the way to the end the last episode.

Brilliantly written and likely to sell well.

I'd favor a DVD of the movie spoofs and one of the best of Mrs. Wiggins, the Queen, or whatever Carol wanted to put together.

by Anonymousreply 3301/05/2012

R32- YES YES YES YES YES...the funniest skit ever to be on television. Supposedly after the first 20 seconds or so Tim Conway went into total ad lib mode which is why Harvey stopped participating and could nothing more than laugh.

by Anonymousreply 3401/05/2012

Of course, it's Harvey Korman and Lyle Wagonner with shaved legs in pantyhose and high heels.

by Anonymousreply 3601/05/2012

Snow White: 15 years later with a gay husband.

by Anonymousreply 3701/05/2012

Lawrence is involved with one of the Koch brothers.

by Anonymousreply 3801/05/2012

[R33] I wish they'd do that, too.

But whoever Carol sold the original rights too has butchered it all. They marketed two episodes to a DVD/VHS tape and it's massively disorganized. Then they were sold in infomercials.

That was a lesson in how NOT to market old TV shows, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 4001/05/2012

Who could forget this?

by Anonymousreply 4101/05/2012

And some of the best parts were the bump up the lights segments. Imagine this happening today?

by Anonymousreply 4201/05/2012

[R41] I *love* that.

If those minis were any shorter they'd need TWO hairdos…….

by Anonymousreply 4301/05/2012

I'd forgotten the "Sunset Boulevard" takeoff with Harvey Korman as the butler. And thanks for the reminder about Tim Conway's dentist.

The shows were carefully registered for copyright protection in their original hour-long format and again for the 1/2-hour syndicated versions (I worked for another entertainment company and the Copyright Office sent us Punkin' Productions' certificates by mistake; we forwarded them to Joe Hamilton's office.)

by Anonymousreply 4401/05/2012

r44 here -- sorry -- just trying to say the show's owners clearly made deliberate (and wrong-headed) decisions on DVD contents. Maybe they didn't get extra-market rights from some performers 45 years ago when they started.

by Anonymousreply 4501/05/2012

Teresa Renteria!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4601/05/2012

I don't think some of this stuff would be allowed on a family entertainment show today. The part where they are feeling up each other's tits would have frauen screaming now.

by Anonymousreply 4701/05/2012

What are you talking about, r47?

by Anonymousreply 4801/05/2012

That's Andrea Martin as Spock in the Star Trek sketch!

by Anonymousreply 4901/05/2012

Carol and Charo as mother and daughter:

by Anonymousreply 5001/05/2012

Lyle Waggoner in a speedo is one of my first gay memories. I got a lil' tingle in my underpants.

by Anonymousreply 5101/05/2012

Agreed, R20. For some reason, the skit I remember and enjoyed the most (other than the spoof on Gone with the Wind) was one of The Family when Madeline Khan was a guest on the show.

She played a hoity-toity local theater director. Eunice had contributed a huge amount to the local theater in order to get a part in their next play, a Shakespeare production. (I can't remember which one).

The Madeline character could barely hide her contempt towards local yocal Eunice, and had reluctantly come over to run through lines with her. Ed and Mama were recruited to play other characters in the scene.

It was hysterical watching seething Mama/defensive Eunice/Gomer Pyle-like Ed screech out Shakespeare lines to each other while Madeline watches their dysfunctional interaction go from bad to worse. It ended with them all screaming how much they hated each other and Madeline. Sounds maudlin but it was one of the funniest skits I had ever seen.

As there were no VCR's at the time the show aired, I remember holding a cassette tape recorder up to the TV speaker and 'recording' each show. I played this scene over and over again on my cassette recorder for weeks afterward. (Mary!)

by Anonymousreply 5201/05/2012

Here ya go, R52!

by Anonymousreply 5301/05/2012

[quote]As there were no VCR's at the time the show aired, I remember holding a cassette tape recorder up to the TV speaker and 'recording' each show. I played this scene over and over again on my cassette recorder for weeks afterward. (Mary!)

That sounds adorable.

by Anonymousreply 5401/05/2012

Wow, THANKS so much, R53! You would think I would have tried to find this on You Tube years ago, but for some reason it never occurred to me.

It's funny, but in rewatching it all these years later it ended a little differently than I recall. But it's still pretty damn funny! ; )

R54, you are too kind not to laugh at this little 1970's techno geek. ; }

This is when I really enjoy DL. (I know, just wait long enough and somebody will come by to pop my balloon... )

by Anonymousreply 5501/05/2012

Anything with Tim and Harvey. I watched the show to see them break character. Tim Conway = comedic genius. Thanks R20 for a reminder of all the good ones.

What was the name of Harvey's character when he played the Jewish lady with the beanbag boobs?

by Anonymousreply 5601/05/2012

[quote]What was the name of Harvey's character when he played the Jewish lady with the beanbag boobs?

Mother Marcus

by Anonymousreply 5701/05/2012

Loved how Carol's impression of Joan Crawford captured that low vocal tone of hers and her mannered, rounded pronunciations.

by Anonymousreply 5801/06/2012

There was another, little-known "Mildred Fierce" skit from 1970 in which Mildred was a ruthless business executive and Soupy Sales was her mincing-prisspot assistant.

by Anonymousreply 5901/06/2012

Here's "The Kidnapping," R21.

by Anonymousreply 6001/06/2012

"Beach Blanket Boo-Boo," with Steve Martin and Betty White:

by Anonymousreply 6101/06/2012

Frankly I couldn't stand all that ridiculous crap when they tried to make each other laugh

It was so incestuous in a way...nothing to do with real comedy that she was so good at..

by Anonymousreply 6201/06/2012

"It was hysterical watching seething Mama/defensive Eunice/Gomer Pyle-like Ed screech out Shakespeare lines to each other while Madeline watches their dysfunctional interaction go from bad to worse. It ended with them all screaming how much they hated each other and Madeline. Sounds maudlin but it was one of the funniest skits I had ever seen."

It was actually pretty sad at the end. Ed was upset that Eunice had spent so much on tickets in order to get a part in a play and Thelma tells him to lay off, saying it's no big deal, Eunice just "failed again." And then Thelma tells Eunice that it's not so bad because "you still have us." Eunice gets a look of resigned hopelessness on her face: end of skit.

by Anonymousreply 6301/06/2012

If those Mama sketches were played straight, they come across as a hybrid of Tennessee Williams and Eugene O'Neill. I think Ms. B has practically said as much.

by Anonymousreply 6401/06/2012

I also loved "The Interrogation."

by Anonymousreply 6501/07/2012

Loved r41. It reminded me that Ms. Vicki was once a pretty decent dancer, with respectable silhouettes and nicely turned out feet.

by Anonymousreply 6601/07/2012

Many many fond memories of the show but count me among those who couldn't STAND it when Korman and Conway would crack each other up. Even as a kid it seemed so unprofessional to me.

by Anonymousreply 6701/07/2012

R61, I think you mean Steve Lawrence, right? Hi balls fell out of his suit if I recall?

by Anonymousreply 6801/07/2012

No, r68. All you have to do is watch the clip and see that it was indeed Steve Martin, at the height of his fame in 1975.

by Anonymousreply 6901/07/2012

posted at R66's link. Good grief. What a drama queen. Why can't people get over his suicide?

by Anonymousreply 7001/07/2012

I always prayed they'd have another skit with Lyle Waggoner shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 7101/07/2012

Amen [R70]. MJ's fans are a lesson in denial. They can't face the fact that he drugged himself (the doctor wasn't injecting him randomly) nor can they accept the fact that he touched little boys.

by Anonymousreply 7201/07/2012

Oh, Fluffy, Fluffy, FLUFFY!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7301/07/2012

I am certain that Michael Jackson did not touch little boys. It is obvious that his father had him castrated, though.

by Anonymousreply 7401/07/2012

WTF are posts about Michael Jackson doing on this thread?

by Anonymousreply 7501/07/2012

What's wire hangers doing….in this closet?

R66 had a clip w/MJ and Vicki "The Night the Lights Went Out In Georgia" Lawrence Shultz.

by Anonymousreply 7601/07/2012

Oh Fluffy!

by Anonymousreply 7702/11/2012

R47's video is NOT from the original C.B. show. I recognized Andrea Martin & Richard Kind, but who played Bones? She looks vaguely familiar.

by Anonymousreply 7803/31/2012

I loved the skits with Carol as the Queen.

by Anonymousreply 7903/31/2012

Yay! Somebody finally posted "Mildred Fierce"!

by Anonymousreply 8003/31/2012

[quote]Lawrence is involved with one of the Koch brothers.

No, she is not. I have no clue how this rumor got started but it gets repeated here quite often.

by Anonymousreply 8103/31/2012

You know, some time I don't think Carol gets her full due. She was fortunate enough to have worked with the people who started modern entertainment from radio to television.

During Jack Benny's golden years, Jack was famously known as the only comedian other comedians couldn't steal from. You know, the only person who was able to steal from Jack Benny was Johnny Carson, when he would react at something somebody said.

The night Carson took over TTS, it was 105 minutes long, and Mommie Dearest was on the first show.

by Anonymousreply 8203/31/2012

I mainly remember how they were trying to crack each other up while in character. Given that Carol was a B'way vet is this some theater tradition or did all her training fly out the window?

by Anonymousreply 8303/31/2012

The greatest of all skits is "The Kidnapping," which someone posted earlier. It is really pure comic genius.

My second favorite was a spoof of the Ziegfeld Follies, which I've never been able to find on youtube. It starts with Harvey Korman singing a song like "A Pretty Girl is Like a Melody," but it's called something like "If One Beautiful Lady is Like One Beautiful Tune (Then it Follows That two beautiful ladies are Like Two Beautiful Tunes)." It ends with the chorus boys and Carol singing a song called "Mr. Man in the Moon," with the boys pulling ropes to swing Carol on a red velvet swing shaped like a moon. As the song goes on they start pulling her swing harder and harder and she starts to freak out--it was hilarious.

The movie parodies are always great. Someone else posted "Torchy Song" on the "Torch Song" thread and pointed out its the funniest of them all, with the only possible exception of "Went with the Wind"--I have to agree. Other favorites: "Rebecky," "The Lady Heir," "Rancid Harvest," "Babes in Barns," "Little Miss Show Biz."

by Anonymousreply 8403/31/2012

Lovely Story. Guess What's Coming to Dinner, with Carol as a mermaid. The Mission Impossible takeoff, where Carol plays Oregano and is handed Emmy awards left and right. The skit climaxes with the real MI cast showing up.

by Anonymousreply 8503/31/2012

Here's the "Mission Improbable" parody:

by Anonymousreply 8603/31/2012

[quote]the only person who was able to steal from Jack Benny was Johnny Carson, when he would react at something somebody said.

Carson wrote a paper in college analyzing Benny's technique.

by Anonymousreply 8703/31/2012

The moment I saw the Venetian blinds in the Gone with the Wind sketch, I was lost.

She has had a great career, but if she hadn't closed "Fade Out/Fade In" by leaving to do "The Entertainers," she could have been a legendary Broadway star. I do realize that she made a lot more money than she would have, and was seen by far more people than she would have been. But I can't think of anyone of her generation who had the career on stage that she could have had.

by Anonymousreply 8803/31/2012

"Beach Blanket Boo Boo" with Steve Martin as Frankie Travelon.

by Anonymousreply 8903/31/2012

What was the name of the Doris Day parody? It had Carol in pajamas talking to her teddy bear while unbeknownst to her Lyle Waggoner (I think) in the Rock Hudson role was hidden on her bed.

by Anonymousreply 9004/01/2012

Has anyone noticed that these - the threads where some rancid little cunt such as R23 has to queef out the "eldergay" opprobrium - are the only places where joy and entertainment appear here?

by Anonymousreply 9104/01/2012

by Anonymousreply 9204/01/2012

by Anonymousreply 9304/01/2012

When I was a small gay boy I fell in love with Carol Burnett on the Gary Moore Show. She came on at the mid-point of the show, and enlivened it with that free-wheeling, silly energy. At that time she played things as the homely clown, like a younger version of Imogene Coca when she wasn't playing the arch dame types.

by Anonymousreply 9404/02/2012

Does anyone remember the skit where Carol plays a character that seems invisible?

She is having lunch with Vicki Lawrence, and it seems no one seems to notice her.

It was the funniest skit I ever saw, and would love to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 9504/02/2012

Gone with the Wind and Mildred Pierce

by Anonymousreply 9604/02/2012

There was a skit where she was a house wife, she went to clean and the Ajax white tornado flew through her kitchen , the brawny paper towel showed up in her kitchen and in the bathroom there was a little man in a little boat in her toliet bowl, .etc.

by Anonymousreply 9712/12/2012

There was one skit where Carol Burnett played Cinderella and Harvey Korman her Jewish Fairy Godmother. The frumpy outfit they put Harvey Korman in was hilarious and they seemed to pinch Carol's cheeks (facial) in that one too if I recall which was so funny to me at the time my stomach hurt from laughing. There were 2 or 3 of the "Momma" skits I recall where they were playing the board game called "Sorry" and it quickly dissolves into a redneck "family argument". There was some kind of animosity between Momma and Ken Berry (I can't remember the character he played--son-in-law?) and there was someone she introduced to him but then said, "I wouldn't shake his hand, you never know where it's been". Another was where they all went to some kind of party and Momma kept dancing around with her ass sticking out and with sensible shoes on. I do recall also that many people thought Vicki Lawrence and Carol Burnett were sisters until they finally confirmed on one of the shows that they were not.

by Anonymousreply 9812/12/2012

One of my favorite "answering questions from the audience" was when a bunch of young girls asked Carol if she remembered a guy named.......and Carol answered "of course I do" and it turned out that his daughter was one of the kids. Carol was so cute rushing down to hug her and whisper to her. The kid just beamed and beamed.

There was also a lady who looked a lot like "Maude" and Carol brought her up on stage and found out she liked to sing and had her do a little bit of a song and "Maude" was really good in that old timey Sophie Tucker style of singing.

by Anonymousreply 9912/12/2012

Favorite of all skits ever: "The Kidnapping."

Favorite movie parody: "Torchy Song" ("This isn't me yet! This is just the orchestra!..."), followed by "Slippery When Wet"

Favorite "The Family" skit: The one where Eunice remembers what it was like when she and Ed were dating, and whenever he'd try to make love to her she'd close her eyes, arch her body erotically and murmur loudly, "Oh, SSSTOPPP...."

by Anonymousreply 10012/12/2012

One Mama skit that had me laughing and then crying was when Eunice got to go on the Gong Show.

The whole premise of all of the contestants singing "Feelings" was very funny, but then Eunice sang it too and she got gonged pretty quickly. The look on her face as the stage went dark was heartbreaking. No laughter from the audience either. Eunice's dream had been crushed and not even a tiara could save it.

by Anonymousreply 10112/12/2012

In Carol's book, she and Julie Andrews were in Washington DC to perform for LBJ. They were both staying in the same hotel and left their rooms to meet a friend by the elevator. They were wearing robes and slippers. They heard the ding of the elevator and went into what she said was a "fake clinch" where they pretended they were making out with each other. They expected their friend to laugh as he got off the elevator, but there was nothing. Finally Carol peeked over Julie's shoulder and saw . . . Ladybird Johnson, and two Secret Service agents. The First Lady stopped, turned, and said, "Aren't you Carol Burnett?" "Yes Ma'am," Carol said. "And this here's Mary Poppins!"

by Anonymousreply 10212/12/2012

They repeated the American Masters of Carol on PBS tonight.

She is a NATIONAL TREASURE, I tell ya.

And still a nice person, unlike some other comic actresses on CBS shows in the 70s....

by Anonymousreply 10404/09/2013

They're repeating the American Masters episode twice in the middle of the night in my area. So night owls can still catch it. Also look for her new Pioneers of Television episode.

by Anonymousreply 10504/09/2013

Carol will be 80 in a few weeks.

She looked good on the Pioneers of TV bit though it's quite obvious sister is wearing a wig these days.

She's had work done but it still seems like Carol is in there. I think she looks way better than some of the other people who talked about her (I mean you, Flo Henderson).

by Anonymousreply 10604/09/2013

For her last show, they brought on her very favorite actor as a surprise guest. Great bit.

by Anonymousreply 10704/10/2013

Oh, R107, that made me cry.

Call me an elder-ghey if you must, but they just don't make them like that any more. Not the film stars, and not people like Burnett, who would sing, dance, act and do comedy.

by Anonymousreply 10804/10/2013

[quote]Does anyone remember the skit where Carol plays a character that seems invisible? She is having lunch with Vicki Lawrence, and it seems no one seems to notice her.

r95, I'd forgotten that till you mentioned it -- she's complaining to Vicki that she feels invisible, and meanwhile the waitress takes Vicki's order and not hers, someone tries to take her chair while she's sitting in it...

by Anonymousreply 10904/10/2013

Carol Burnett brought me through many depressed times. Many times, I'd go into a suicidal funk. I remember barely getting home from work, having to hold back tears of depression, sadness, you name it, and coming home when TVLand was airing a repeat of TCBS. One time, while sniveling on the couch, the Went with the Wind spoof came on. When Carol, as Scarlett came come the stairs in that window dress, I laughed for the first time in months. I'd watched the scene before. I lost myself in her show as a kid because life then was a real bitch. I used to fight w/my father to watch her show. Literally, fight him.

I wish I could write to Carol Burnett and tell her how much she meant to me.

by Anonymousreply 11004/10/2013

My mom always said that she identified with Eunice, and it must be admitted that her brother and sister were were similar to Vint and Ellen.

by Anonymousreply 11104/10/2013

R110 Why can't you?

by Anonymousreply 11204/10/2013

You can phone her this morning. She's going to be on the Diane Rehm Show on NPR at 11.

by Anonymousreply 11304/10/2013

More clips please.

by Anonymousreply 11404/10/2013

used to love Harvey and Carol playing "The Old Folks"...sitting on their front porch rocking chairs ("get mine started" Carol would always say, then try to sit her ass down in the moving rocking chair). What a national treasure she is!!!

by Anonymousreply 11504/10/2013

Great show. "Went With The Wind" will always be my favorite sketch. It makes me laugh so hard that I cry every time!

by Anonymousreply 11604/10/2013

I always loved "The Waltons" send-up. I think it was called "The Walnuts." Carol played John-Girl and had a huge mole painted on her face. It was fucking hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 11704/10/2013

R109 That was always one of my favorites. Sad and hysterical at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 11804/10/2013

I'm so glad we had this time together.

by Anonymousreply 11904/10/2013

Does she have a fan mail address or some way to write to her?

by Anonymousreply 12004/10/2013

R120 I don't see one online, but perhaps you can email PBS, who just played that American Masters with her in it, and they could tell you?

by Anonymousreply 12104/12/2013

I just (for the first time) saw the complete Password sketch with Eunice and Mama. I had previously only seen the famous blooper from it in which Tim (and Vicki) made everyone crack up. Anyhow, it was really bad. I don't know if it was because Ed (Harvey) was missing or what, but it was And Dick Van Dyke was so not funny as Eunice's love interest.

by Anonymousreply 12212/31/2013

Dick was horrible on the show and left midway through the season.

by Anonymousreply 12301/01/2014

Anytime Tim Conway started to ad-lib, the dentist with Harvey Korman, the elephant story with Eunice & family, the Hitler puppet with Lyle Waggoner, all of the shuffling old man skits. My father was always in tears laughing so hard. I enjoyed watching him laugh.

by Anonymousreply 12401/01/2014

"Wrong Number"

Carol and Tim are a married couple. She is seemingly a paranoid shrew with suspicions that her husband is cheating on her...

This one is kind of darkly different than the usual sketches.

by Anonymousreply 12501/03/2014

"Cinderella Gets It On", featuring the Pointer Sisters; it rarely (if ever) aired in reruns because the skit is 20 minutes long, and the syndicated episodes were cut down to that amount.

Oh, by the way--at the beginning, Vicki Lawrence is saying "I can dig it".

by Anonymousreply 12601/03/2014

The skit with Carol as Charo's mother. Hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 12701/03/2014

Carol and Vicki...this was removed from it's previous link...

by Anonymousreply 12801/04/2014

Did that performance lead to an offer to Carol and Vicki of a performing spot at Woodstock, r128?

by Anonymousreply 12901/04/2014

Always liked her, but if I have to hear that Tarzan yell ONE. MORE. TIME. I will not be responsible for what happens. Why oh why did some dimbulb in every audience ask her to do that?

by Anonymousreply 13001/04/2014

OMG, R126, I love that skit and haven't thought about it in years! Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 13101/04/2014

Carol and Eydie Gorme in the sequined Hollywood Movie Medley. Their voices blended very well together, and Gorme was a stellar singer.

by Anonymousreply 13201/04/2014

The Mark Twain tribute was on again Friday. I think it's also at

by Anonymousreply 13301/04/2014

Mr. Tudball & "Amissus Awiggins"

The Gone with the Wind skit...Carol coming down the winding staircase in the antebellum house, with the long curtain rod under her dress & across her shoulders, long drapes hanging down on either side...

"'s CURTAINS", she says dryly...I think the audience laughed for 2 solid minutes.

by Anonymousreply 13401/04/2014

"Caged Dames"

by Anonymousreply 13501/04/2014

"Raised To Be Rotten"

by Anonymousreply 13601/04/2014

r136, thanks for the link!

by Anonymousreply 13701/04/2014

recently saw Tim on Conan's show. 80 years "young" and sharp as a tack. was great seeing him again.

by Anonymousreply 13801/04/2014

by Anonymousreply 13901/19/2014

if anyone can post a link to when the Pointer Sisters performed SALT PEANUTS with Carol, I'd be forever grateful.

by Anonymousreply 14001/19/2014

Maggie Smith, teaching Carol how to speak Cockney. This was the first time I'd ever seen Maggie, and I instantly loved her:

by Anonymousreply 14101/19/2014

Cinderella Gets It On!

featuring the Pointer Sisters as the Wicked Stepmother, Tim Conway as Elfin John, Harvey Korman as Fairy Godmother Marcus, and Carol in the title role.

by Anonymousreply 14201/19/2014

"Rancid Harvest," with Carol as Greer Garson and Harvey Korman Ronald Colman

"Fiancée, you say?"

by Anonymousreply 14301/19/2014

I always wished Carol had done more of a specific impression of Greer Garson for that sketch, r143, rather than basically just a generic posh-English-accented character - would have been more fun.

by Anonymousreply 14401/20/2014

Went with the Wind but all the film spoofs were wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 14501/20/2014

I grew up watching her and I remember an article in "McCalls" or something about her chin implant. I think she was better without it, but she must have been bugged by it, and she wrote about getting it and advising some "stewardess" on a flight about getting one. I preferred her before.

I also never cared for her styling herself as a singer or as a dramatic actress. She was okay as both, but not to pay for or waste our time for.

When I look back (youtube) on classic Carol Burnett episodes, the person who really hits me is Vicky Lawrence. Even as a child I thought it was next thing to nepotism - well, she vaguely looks like Carol, isn't really talented, but just deal.

But looking back, Vicky Lawrence was fucking amazing. She MADE the "Went with the Wind" sketch. Everybody remembers Carol Burnett with the curtain rod across her shoulders, but it was really Vicky Lawrence and her absolutely straight face that sold the entire skit. She was hilarious. She was so much better than I recognized at the time.

by Anonymousreply 14601/20/2014

Tim Conway was the only good part of the show. I didn't like carol.

by Anonymousreply 14701/20/2014

Vicki was amazing. She was a fine singer (she even had her own #1 record with "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia"), a decent dancer, had a good body, and was a superb comic actress. Carol has said that Vicki as Mother Harper was the entire key to the success of "the Family" skits, and she had an amazing range of comic voices with which she could be a great straight woman (i.e. the stern aunt voice she often did, as in the "A Swiped Life" skit") or be funny in her own right (her ditsy voice she uses in "Beach Blanket Boo-boo" and "Caged Dames", her scary voice from "Rebecky", her bratty child voice from "Mildred Fierce," etc.).

by Anonymousreply 14801/20/2014

Lucy was going to do a variety show like Carol's but Gary Morton talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 14901/20/2014

Vicky's "Sissy" in "Went With The Wind" ended up the star of that skit.

by Anonymousreply 15001/21/2014

I know I'm in the minority, but I always thought Harvey Korman was hilarious (also loved him in all the Mel Brooks movies, especially High Anxiety), but never "got" Tim Conway's humor at all.

by Anonymousreply 15101/22/2014

Did she have Suzanne Somers? I mean, I know she *had* Suzanne Somers sexually but was SS a guest star?

by Anonymousreply 15203/31/2014

r152, I agree with you. I like Tim working with the others and trying to match them in the comedy routine, but on his own, he always seemed like he didn't belong. It all made sense when I heard him say in an interview that he never intended to go into show business - it came to him instead of vice versa. Everyone in the biz loved him so he always managed to find work. In essence, I think he was the class clown who didn't need to fill a dark empty void with massive adulation.

by Anonymousreply 15303/31/2014

r153, what are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 15403/31/2014

Where did you see it, r122?

r124, I think most of us who were kids during its run shares your sentimentality. The show is interwoven with family memories. I remember my father laughing and laughing at Conway and Korman. He was always so serious and remote, that it was a joy to see him enjoy something.

by Anonymousreply 15503/31/2014

r101, Burnett took the tragedy of Eunice very seriously. She really identified with that character on a personal level. The others saw the comedy value of it all, while Burnett used the comedy to "explain" Eunice. That very depressing TV-movie they did after the Burnett show ended where Mama died and Eunice was grappling with all the emotions of losing a beloved mother who victimized her is very dear to Burnett, even though her fans and followers were depressed the hell out of it.

by Anonymousreply 15603/31/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!