Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Serves the little cunt right!

Library Sends Cops To 5-Year-Old's House For Overdue Books

A five-year-old girl from Charlton, Mass. burst into tears after a local library sent Police Sergeant Dan Dowd to her house to retrieve the child's two overdue library books, CBS Boston reported.

"I thought it was way overboard," the girl's mother, Shannon Benoit, said. "I closed my door, I looked at my daughter and she started crying." According to the report, Shannon's daughter thought Dowd was going to arrest her.

Sergeant Dowd told the station that, although long-overdue books are a misdemeanor, he didn't want to go to the girl's house.

"Nobody wanted to, on this end to get involved in it," Sgt. Dowd told CBS Boston. "But the library contacted us, and the chief delegated, and apparently I was one of the low men on the totem pole."

The Benoit's books had been overdue for "several months," but were quickly found and returned at the police officer's request.

It turns out the little girl's fears of being arrested weren't completely unfounded.

Back in September, Christopher Anspach was sentenced to 10 days in jail for failing to return his overdue library books after several months and multiple overdue notices.

by Anonymousreply 5909/07/2014

Library books are public property. You're supposed to bring them back, not keep them forever.

by Anonymousreply 101/04/2012

Uh, no, that's horseshit and cost you hundreds in tax dollars and terrified a little kid. Congrats, Coppers!

by Anonymousreply 201/04/2012

Real criminals shoot back -- those cops would rather take on five year olds...

by Anonymousreply 301/04/2012

The police state marches on. The police don't realize it, but the public would probably like to cut half their number and all of their pensions.

by Anonymousreply 401/04/2012

I do understand that feigned misogeny is often very funny. Calling a little girl a cunt, though, crosses the line.

Look, you didn't choose to be gay. Therefore, you don't have to justify the situation by insisting that women are horrible. A large segment of the gay population used to do that; they are now in their eighties, nineties or graves. Haven't we progressed at all?

by Anonymousreply 501/04/2012

Stop her before she kills again!

by Anonymousreply 601/04/2012

I bet that little cunt will return the books on time now.

by Anonymousreply 701/04/2012

R2 frau the reason that kid was terrified is directly her parents' fault who are certainly not teaching her any sense of responsibility.

Stupid entitled mommy. Plus they also mentioned that daddy had $100 in library fines. Jesus Christ parents are morons these days.

by Anonymousreply 801/04/2012

Make her eat a peanut!

by Anonymousreply 901/04/2012

The cop was after the father's $100 overdue audio book. Stupid entitled daddy.

by Anonymousreply 1001/04/2012

[quote] It turns out the little girl's fears of being arrested weren't completely unfounded.

Ridiculous. The parents are responsible, not the girl. She can't drive herself to the library to return the books.

This is a case of a parent making a big deal out of nothing (hoping for a lawsuit) and the media going along with it, hyping it out of all proportion.

by Anonymousreply 1101/04/2012

If she was black, they probably would have tazed her ass.

by Anonymousreply 1201/04/2012

My friend Julie recently got a job as Head Librarian in Charlton, MA!

by Anonymousreply 1301/04/2012

R10 is correct, though apparently there was a miscommunication at the library, because they sent the cop to get the $100 audio book checked out by the father, but told the cop it was the little girl's two books.

Regardless, this cannot be a good use of city funds, to send a cop to pick up library books.

There are much easier ways to do it, like add the library fine -- or better yet, the cost of replacing the items -- to city utility fees.

There's no reason a library fine should ever exceed the cost of replacing the item.

Even if the library added costs for shipping and a surcharge for employee time to order, catalog and shelve the item, a $30 book could be replaced for about $40, a $10 children's book could be replaced for about $20, and a $100 audio book could be replaced for about $110.

I'm an online bookseller (3rd party Amazon, Biblio, Alibris, etc.) and I sell out-of-print and hard-to-find books to libraries all the time.

by Anonymousreply 1401/04/2012

More entitled Mommies and their very special princess children.

They should have shackled the lot and tazed them in the groin. Little special princess wouldn't forget to return her books again would she?

Are these the same people who were trying to fit their family of 6 in three seats? If they weren't, they should have been tazed good too...a good jolt to the crotch.

by Anonymousreply 1501/04/2012

SLAP THAT BITCH VICIOUSLY!!!

by Anonymousreply 1601/04/2012

Excellent police work.

by Anonymousreply 1701/04/2012

If she gets away with it, there's no justice in this world.

by Anonymousreply 1801/04/2012

The library should have just billed them and nulled their borrowing priveliges.

It amazes me how quickly they found the books once it was obvious they were in trouble. Some adults need to grow up.

by Anonymousreply 1901/04/2012

When r15 goes on his killing spree, do you think DL will get to be in the news?

by Anonymousreply 2001/04/2012

Don't, worry, R20, it's only the cowards that go after little 5 year-old girls.

by Anonymousreply 2101/04/2012

This post rather made my day. Delicious.

by Anonymousreply 2201/06/2012

Next the little bitch will be jaywalking.

by Anonymousreply 2301/06/2012

Am I the only one who thought this was pretty funny?

by Anonymousreply 2401/06/2012

Ban the bitches from the library for life. The little cunt will be working the stripper pole by the time she's 17.

by Anonymousreply 2501/06/2012

It is highly dependent upon where you live. Our public library isn't owned by the city, in fact the city contributes the smallest amount to it.

The rest is provided by a foundation. Yep, Providence Public Library is a private concern.

Which means they cannot use force or color of government when it comes to collecting overdue books and fees.

They just bill you for it.

by Anonymousreply 2601/06/2012

[quote]Uh, no, that's horseshit and cost you hundreds in tax dollars and terrified a little kid.

I come from a small town which occasionally sends police (as an absolute last resort) to fetch city property, and my mother was a librarian. It does not cost "hundreds of dollars" because these are small town patrol cops with nothing to do but drive around burning gasoline for most of the day. If anything, giving them an excuse to stop the car for awhile saves the taxpayers gas money. The cop has a walkie to alert him/her if there's somewhere more important to go.

As for "terrifying" the kid, my mom had to spend 15 to 45 minutes of every work day (on the taxpayers' dime) calling the homes of people with books more than two weeks overdue (some long distance calls at the taxpayers' expense) and writing several postcard reminders. (Guess who paid for those to be mailed?) Sending the police was a last resort after several, SEVERAL phone calls and at least three postcards.

She loathed that part of her job, and there was no reason she should need to call people and get screamed at by those entitled fucks for simply asking for city property to be returned on time. They had fee amnesty days regularly where people can return items without paying, and my mom would mention the fee-free day on the postcards. People still wouldn't stick the stolen items in the drop box (open 24 hours) during that day. They were far too precious and important to bother. Fuck these douchebags. Their kid got scared? Guess who's fault that really is.

[quote]There's no reason a library fine should ever exceed the cost of replacing the item.

If you don't tack on some sort of significant fine, there's no deterrent. An extra $5 or $10 over the cost of the book isn't going to deter the kind of trash who use the library as their personal shopper.

by Anonymousreply 2701/06/2012

yet they can't find an illegal to save their lives

by Anonymousreply 2801/06/2012

[quote]If she was black, they probably would have tazed her ass.

Lots of black people at the libray.

by Anonymousreply 2901/06/2012

Hey r29, next time YOU're at the library you should check out some books on racism.

by Anonymousreply 3001/06/2012

Hmmm. Yet, I've had all manner of thieves (employees) steal from my business and I can't even get the cops to call me back. They always stop by, question everyone and then let it drop.

by Anonymousreply 3101/07/2012

WE MUST MAINTAIN ORDER!!!

by Anonymousreply 3201/07/2012

[quote]UPDATE:10:22am -- An article published today by the Worcester Telegram & Gazette clarifies that it wasn't 5-year-old Hailey's children's books that warranted the police visit, but a $100 audio book that her father had borrowed, and that had been overdue since April. According to the article, 13 other families in the area were also visited by police, who collectively had in their possession a total of $2,634 in overdue library materials

The little girl has nothing to do with what happened. She shouldn't have been in the article. Poor reporting.

by Anonymousreply 3301/07/2012

But it made the article so much more captivating!

by Anonymousreply 3401/07/2012

And it gave so many gay men yet another opportunity to show their misogyny.

by Anonymousreply 3501/07/2012

r29 FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING PIECE WHITE TRASH HORSE SHIT.

by Anonymousreply 3601/07/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 3703/19/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 3803/19/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 3903/19/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 4003/19/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 4103/19/2013

Gay men are murdered every day because of how much people like you hate women. Lesbians are murdered ever day because of how much people like you hate women. Transgender people are murdered every day because of how much people like you hate women. Women are murdered every day because of how much people like you hate women. Little boys,, little girls are tortured on grade school play grounds every day, their lives ruined, because of how much people like you hate women.

by Anonymousreply 4203/19/2013

The point of Datalounge is to provide a place for gay men and the women who admire them to talk openly about their contempt for women. That is why DL exists. I'm a gay man, and I think it has to stop, this abuse.

by Anonymousreply 4303/19/2013

The point of Datalounge is to provide a place for gay men and the women who admire them to talk openly about their contempt for women. That is why DL exists. I'm a gay man, and I think it has to stop, this abuse.

by Anonymousreply 4403/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 4503/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 4603/19/2013

This thread kills women.

by Anonymousreply 4703/19/2013

This thread kills women.

by Anonymousreply 4803/19/2013

[all posts by fucking cunt troll deleted.]

by Anonymousreply 4909/03/2014

What kind of mixed-up fucking hellhole is Charlton, Mass anyway?

by Anonymousreply 5009/03/2014

Told you I was hardcore.

This copy of The Snowy Day is MINE now, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 5109/03/2014

What's a kid these days doing borrowing books from a library? Buy her a Kindle or iPad.

by Anonymousreply 5209/04/2014

Cop was lucky, the kid might've had an Uzi.

by Anonymousreply 5309/04/2014

R52 you can check out library books for a Kindle, but also, not everyone in the world can afford a personal device, hell, many don't have any internet at home...that's why library computers are used all day. Ours are always being used. Some people do have their own laptops or devices but can no longer afford wi-fi or internet and use ours.

Just because YOU have a Kindle doesn't mean books are going away, especially children's books. Not for a long time. We have tons of eBooks, movies, audio books, and music that can be downloaded, and the stats are very good--lots of people using the services. BUT physical materials still have the lead, by a big margin.

My library contracted with a collection agency--when materials are overdue after a certain amount of time, the collection agency takes it over. We've had great success with that.

To my knowledge, the only time the police were involved with finding books was when several branch managers were comparing notes about a very odd patron who turned out to have been visiting all 20 of our branches and was systematically stealing reference books. The cops tracked him down, and his apartment was walled in with stacks of books. Apparently he was barricading himself in because he thought there was about to be a US "invasion"...by whom, I don't know, but he had slowly removed hundreds of books from the library. I think he's in a mental facility now, last I heard.

by Anonymousreply 5409/04/2014

Children are annoying, but sending the cops after her was...criminal.

Talk about overkill. Plus, she will never trust them and might get hurt because of this.

by Anonymousreply 5509/05/2014

Fucking little 5 year old cunt bitch! She got off easier than she deserved. And somebody should kick that Frau mother in the cunt!

by Anonymousreply 5609/05/2014

I don't understand. I thought libraries had their own detectives.

by Anonymousreply 5709/05/2014

Reading is a threat to the social order! Learn it, little girl!

by Anonymousreply 5809/07/2014

R27 should be R2 and the thread should be over after 2 posts.

by Anonymousreply 5909/07/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!