Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Am I detoxing?

Over the holidays I drank a bottle of wine per night, every night for two weeks. Sometimes more, sometimes with a few beers thrown in. This is much more than I usually drink and I'm not sure why I did it. Holiday family stress? Whatever.

Friday night I REALLY overdid it. So much so that I puked my guts out for a couple of hours before I could finally sleep. My throats been sore and my chest and stomach have been sore since then. Overworked puking muscles I guess.

Yesterday was the first day that I didn't have any alcohol at all. I had a horrible sleep last night. Tossed and turned for hours. and today I felt tired, obviously, but also like I'm coming down with something. Kind of headachey. I also feel more anxious than usual today. I had slight heart palpitations at one point as well.

Am I detoxing?

I've decided, wisely, to stop drinking for a while. I did not like the experience and do not want to become THAT sort of person.

by Anonymousreply 4306/28/2013

Drink plenty of water, take some ibuprofen (not tylenol, your liver's had enough). You'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 101/02/2012

You have a drinking problem, OP.

by Anonymousreply 201/02/2012

Thanks for stating the fucking obvious, R2. But that wasn't my question. I want to know if I'm detoxing.

Oh, and I'm also short-tempered.

by Anonymousreply 301/02/2012

No it doesn't sound as though you're detoxing.

by Anonymousreply 401/02/2012

i DRINK A BOTTLE of wine a night sometimes more, how can I stop?

by Anonymousreply 501/02/2012

ex drinker here; whenever I came off of a binge, I'd find it impossible to sleep and I'd toss and turn. My counselor said that it is withdrawal.

by Anonymousreply 601/02/2012

No you're not going through a detox where you would need medical attention. That takes months of heavy drinking, every day, not a two weeks of a bottle of wine. But your body is telling you you've had too much and need to cool it for a while, but it seems you know that already.

You don't have the DT's, aren't hallucinating, etc. If you were, I would advise you to get to the ER stat.

by Anonymousreply 701/02/2012

Have a couple more bottles. You sound like a real peach.

by Anonymousreply 801/02/2012

Detoxing? More like withdrawal.

by Anonymousreply 901/02/2012

OP, just drink a beer or have a single glass of wine or maybe two. If you're binge drinking it's not good to just suddenly completely stop drinking.

I drank large amounts of booze daily for about half a year and when I was going to stop doing this I slowly cut back and I didn't just suddenly stop drinking all of that booze suddenly.

by Anonymousreply 1001/02/2012

Don't the French drink at least a bottle of wine every day?

by Anonymousreply 1101/02/2012

OP, you need to find something else to fill your evenings. It has obviously become a habit to open a bottle of something as soon as the sun goes down. I suggest getting a gym membership. Arrange it so that you head there at the time you usually get the urge to start drinking. Do some cardio, such as on an elliptical machine (half an hour at first, then move up to an hour or more). Then do another hour of weightlifting. Sooner than later, your body will start responding, and your energy levels will go up, the endorphins will kick in, you'll feel better about yourself, and the urge to drink will begin to diminish.

Be good to yourself. It's the only body you have. The only one keeping you in this vicious cycle is you. You can do this! Best of luck!

by Anonymousreply 1201/03/2012

um........... detoxing is withdrawal, hon.

by Anonymousreply 1301/03/2012

Go to a meeting, listen to the old trolls with years of serenity, drink bad coffee, get hit on.

by Anonymousreply 1401/03/2012

Take a Xanax and drink a lot of water and B vitamins and you'll feel fine in a day or so.

by Anonymousreply 1501/03/2012

Thanks R12, that's good advice.

But this amount of drinking was unusual for me. I don't normally drink every day, or even during the week at all. I was on "vacation" the last two weeks, the first week of which was spent with my elderly parents who are getting ready to move into a senior's home. It was a pleasant enough visit but there was an undercurrent of sadness. They're going voluntarily but it's with the knowledge that this is one of the final steps for them. It was my last Christmas "at home." From now on I'll be staying in a hotel or camping on their tiny new living room floor on an air mattress.

I'd open a bottle of wine after they went to bed every night and down it before I went to sleep. Maybe I drank so much to numb the sadness and boredom.

When I got back to my own life last week I kind of wanted the party to continue so I kept drinking every night.

So anyway, that's my story. I slept much better last night and feel better today. Not 100% but getting there.

For me, drinking is usually a weekend thing. Wine and beer. But I feel like I want to cut back on that as well.

by Anonymousreply 1601/03/2012

OP, you're in the beginning stages of becoming an alkie. Admit it.

by Anonymousreply 1701/03/2012

Let's not mince words, detox, hangover, it's all different ways to say that you are going through a drug withdrawal. Your body made some adjustments to deal with the alcohol and in its sudden absence, it has to readjust, hence the hangover.

From now on you should be very alert to your alcohol use and drug use in general. You were on a two-week bender, without the sleeping in the gutter part.

It is quite common for social use of alcohol to flip over into alcoholism after a bender, and two weeks of a bottle a day is enough to do it, especially if you have been working up to it. It is quite possible that that was the turning point. Somehow the body chemistry changes and it never goes back for alcoholics.

If you don't stop now, please be very alert, there are a lot of danger signs here.

For the umpteenth time, do not use benzos like valium and xanax for hangovers. There is a troll here who is either dual-addicted himself or wants to see other people get into trouble.

If you are drinking to the point where the next day you are uncomfortable, and this happens more than once or twice a year, then you have got to think about what is going on, because what is going on is not good.

If you are to the point of taking xanax for a hangover, then the question is no longer open to debate. Get into treatment.

Sleep problems and anxiety are a real issue when you are drying out, but unless you are doing the sobriety thing with a professional in the field, not your g.p., he doesn't count, stay away from taking stuff for anxiety and sleep like benzos.

Take pills like that only if your doctor has training in addiction treatment and only if you have told him your history completely. Otherwise you are just a junking, doctor-shopping for feel-good pills, to help your alcoholic hangover.

Also, if you drink and you ever reach the point where you have to slow down to stop because stopping all at once is too big a deal, you are an alcoholic. Tapering off can be very dangerous. Alcoholic seizures kill people, see Bix.

If you are so uncomfortable that you have to taper off, you are an alcoholic and you should get professional help to get away from alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 1801/03/2012

Drinking over the holidays does not constitute alcoholism. Ignore the dry drunks. Hangovers are common enough that we all know the term.

by Anonymousreply 1901/03/2012

Alcohol is a poison. Your body is rejecting the lasting toxins that have accumulated in your system. What you are suffering from is a mild form of what used to be referred to as "The DT's," or withdrawal symptoms. Eat sparingly and drink plenty of water. Foods high in Potassium will help replenish the electrolytes in your body (Bananas are a good source of Potassium).

by Anonymousreply 2001/03/2012

R20 is full of shit. If you've ever seen the DTs, you'd know you weren't suffering from a mild version of them, OP. I found that when steady drinkers were hospitalized for something else -- ie, a hip replacement or heart surgery -- they got nasty. Cursing at nurses, yelling at their family members. But it didn't progress.

When someone who has been drinking heavily for years goes through the DTs, they start out being nasty, then get paranoid, then start hallucinating. It takes about 48 hours to progress to the DTs.

Steady -- but not heavy -- drinkers don't progress past the nasty stage. They are used to having their beers or maybe a few toots of heavier spirits every day to get a buzz and when they can't do that, they can't relax. They don't sleep well. They get restless. They don't realize what they're feeling and start blaming everyone else for their problem, since they feel trapped.

You just had a come-down from a short term habit, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 2101/03/2012

[QUOTE]I'd open a bottle of wine after they went to bed every night and down it before I went to sleep. Maybe I drank so much to numb the sadness and boredom.

OP, Alcohol is a [bold]depressant.[/bold] This is exactly the opposite of what you need in that situation. Drinking wine when sad is like a thirsty man drinking salt water. Whatever pain and sadness you're feeling for the harsh realities in life is only going to be doubled by the booze. It might numb you for now but in the long run, you're only delaying the depression and you're actually making it worse than if you had felt it sober.

However hard this is, you can get through it sober and you will get through it faster with a better state of mind.

Sober up and hang in there. You can do it.

by Anonymousreply 2201/03/2012

In other news, r22 knows nothing about science or alcohol. Carry on, moron.

by Anonymousreply 2301/03/2012

Yes, OP, you are, on a very small scale.

Let it be a warning.

by Anonymousreply 2401/03/2012

R22 is completely correct.

R23, what is your problem?

by Anonymousreply 2501/03/2012

Another vote for R22.

R23 has some real problems.

by Anonymousreply 2601/03/2012

R23 is correct

by Anonymousreply 2701/03/2012

Sorry, I meant R21 is correct

by Anonymousreply 2801/03/2012

It's really unhelpful and obnoxious for people who know nothing about a topic to attempt to discuss it or pretend to be experts on it or to give advice on it. That's my problem. Alcohol functions as a stimulant in "low" doses and in "regular" drinkers.

by Anonymousreply 2901/03/2012

Yes, that is correct. For people who are not alcoholics and who drink small amounts, alcohol is considered a stimulant.

However, there is virtually no context in which anyone ever has any reason to carry on a discussion on the stimulant effects of alcohol.

That's not where social problems and medical emergencies arise. It is not what people post about seeking advice. OP didn't want to know if a one drink once a week would be better at keeping him alert than a cup of coffee.

OP wasn't interested in normal drinking or in drinking small amounts.

He went through a period in which he described his drinking as problematic. For someone who has problems with alcohol or who thinks he might and seeks advice with that issue in mind, then the depressant effects of alcohol abuse are the effects appropriate to discuss.

by Anonymousreply 3001/03/2012

Cheryl, it's not your job to determine what is or isn't an appropriate topic of discussion, you necrotic cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3101/03/2012

All you Hysterical Harries need to lighten up. OP is not an alcoholic. OP was abusing alcohol for 2 weeks. Agree, it can be a slippery slope, but can also just be attributed to having a really good time.

OP, there is a common malady called "holiday heart" when many end up in the ER with heart arrythmias and/or gastric-induced chest pains from over indulging in alcohol.

Drink plenty of water and/or Gatorade, eat blandly for the next two weeks. Bananas and potatoes are high in potassium, easy to digest and will boost your blood sugar like the alcohol was doing. Take acidopholous to restore your GI tract, and a multivitamin.

You may indeed be coming down with something as well. You're run down from all the partying and you've presumably been around a lot of people for the past two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 3201/03/2012

Thank you R20!!! I had to read through 19 posts to get to the simple fact of ALCOHOL POISONING!!!

It took a doctor to point that out I guess.

by Anonymousreply 3301/03/2012

[quote]Don't the French drink at least a bottle of wine every day?

There's a difference between drinking a bottle of wine over the course of a whole day, & drinking a bottle during just a few hours (which is what OP says he did every night for 2 weeks).

by Anonymousreply 3401/03/2012

There you go. Now you got the point. Good luck and ignore the puzzling negativity here. (R31)

by Anonymousreply 3501/03/2012

Keep in mind everyone, that while it's often seen as humorous or harmless to see someone who's had to much to drink puke, in reality that's a clear sign of alcohol poisoning.

Pure and simple.

In small qualities, alcohol is fine, but too much too fast -- and the amount and speed depends on each person's tolerance level too -- is pure poison.

Nothing mysterious about it -- poisonous.

by Anonymousreply 3601/03/2012

Alcohol is not a stimulant.

Disinhibition can produce stimulant-appearing effects, but ETOH is not a stimulant.

by Anonymousreply 3701/03/2012

Yes, it is, ignoramus.

by Anonymousreply 3801/03/2012

Sorry, drunk.

by Anonymousreply 3901/03/2012

Would you agree that somebody who has been puking from drinking should be monitored until he sleeps it off? You think a trip to the emergency room is in order to forestall choking?

I don't think you should leave such a person alone.

by Anonymousreply 4001/03/2012

R40 stop putting words in other people's mouths. Your hypotheticals are idiotic. This isn't 6th grade health class.

by Anonymousreply 4101/03/2012

has anyone ever had an ionic foot massage? ryan seacrest was talking about it and said the water turns gross colors as toxins come out of your body. please describe your experience

by Anonymousreply 4306/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!