Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Twilight Zone Marathon

Who's watching?

by Anonymousreply 60001/01/2015

I always watched with my dad. Since he's gone it makes me too sad to watch. Still the old TZ's are some of the best TV ever written with great acting. Well worth watching and if you're young and have never seen really good writing and acting on TV it's must see.

by Anonymousreply 112/31/2011

I am.

by Anonymousreply 212/31/2011

I am but I wish they would show the rarer episodes. Sometimes they do after midnight. I hope that's the case this year so I can record them.

by Anonymousreply 312/31/2011

"Number Twelve Looks Just Like You" with Ur-supermodel Suzy Parker is starting. In it a plain girl with frau potential gets transformed into a beautiful woman in the future of, let's say, the year 2000. It's the DL dream and the ultimate gay Twilight Zone episode. Agree or disagree?

by Anonymousreply 412/31/2011

What network is this on?

by Anonymousreply 512/31/2011

SyFy

by Anonymousreply 712/31/2011

It seems like they stick to the episodes from 1959-1963. I loved the first season of TZ - a lot of classics were a part of it.

by Anonymousreply 812/31/2011

Nancy Malone was just on in the "Stopover In a Quiet Town" episode, and it's not one of my favorites, but WOW, she was a beautiful woman in her day.

by Anonymousreply 912/31/2011

Sorry, bad Nancy Malone link above, try this one.

(If you don't know, she wound up head of 20th Century Fox television and still directs today)

by Anonymousreply 1012/31/2011

[quote]"Stopover In a Quiet Town"

I think this one is pretty creepy actually.

by Anonymousreply 1112/31/2011

A Penny for Your Thoughts starring Darren Stevens from Bewitched!

by Anonymousreply 1212/31/2011

Yup, we're watching.

by Anonymousreply 1312/31/2011

No "It's a cookbook!" yet. Pity. Perhaps later today.

by Anonymousreply 1501/01/2012

r15, of *course* they're going to do that one. When I don't know but I'm certain that episode won't be left out.

It's amazing the quality, of that series. I got hooked in the late 70's and never lost my infatuation. Harkens back to a time when things were much more hopeful; the space race, changes in civil rights, questioning of current mores. Things seemed so much more "revolutionary". Even though it was the early 60's. A tragic waste that Searling died so young.

The one with Roddy Mcdowell is on right now!!

by Anonymousreply 1601/01/2012

Roddy was quite cute when he was young and twinkish, R16. Yummy! I realize they'll show "To Serve Man", but as I wrote earlier I wish they'd show more of the rare ones. So far, it doesn't seem like they will. I just like using the DL-quoted "It's a cookbook!"

by Anonymousreply 1701/01/2012

*crunch*

"But... it's not fair! I had all the time in the world now!"

by Anonymousreply 1801/01/2012

The correct pronunciation of "robot" in the Twilight Zone is "ro-but" as Dr. Zoidberg correctly says on Futurama.

by Anonymousreply 1901/01/2012

I love Walking Distance with Gig Young - even the score is nice.

by Anonymousreply 2001/01/2012

[quote]I wish they'd show more of the rare ones. So far, it doesn't seem like they will.

Everyone relax. It's on all day tomorrow, and I'm sure they'll show all the really popular ones then.

by Anonymousreply 2101/01/2012

SyFy-West is showing it Sunday night at 10:30 Pacific, R15. I think that means it will be on at 10:30 in the Eastern zone also, but I might have that wrong. I checked the whole schedule in advance to see what episodes I might want to not miss.

It looks like it's all the usual suspects this marathon. Even in the late night/early morning hours, they are only running the most familiar shows this time. Not that I'm complaining because I love them all, but I agree that it is nice when they throw in some of the lesser seen episodes sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 2201/01/2012

"I'm sure they'll show all the really popular ones then."

Reading comprehension, my dear boy. While I enjoy many of the popular ones, I want them to show some of the less popular ones. Many of the less popular ones are underrated.

by Anonymousreply 2301/01/2012

I never see the one with Carol Burnett aired.

by Anonymousreply 2401/01/2012

If I recall, R24, they did show that one in the wee hours last year.

by Anonymousreply 2501/01/2012

The Hitchhiker with Inger Stevens is coming on now!

I've never believed the story about how she committed suicide. I think Burt Reynolds knows the truth.

by Anonymousreply 2601/01/2012

Going my way?

by Anonymousreply 2701/01/2012

From last year's thread:

1. What type of Twilight Zone episodes do you prefer (Western, space/aliens, post-Second World War moral fables, time travel to the past, the humorous ones, post- or near-apocalyptic, etc.), and why? These may not be the best categories, so I just use them as examples.

2. Why do some of the episodes not seem dated? Is it the crisp writing and acting or their universal themes or something else? I compare this series to the later The Outer Limits, and with a couple of exceptions, the latter seems very much a product of its time. In contrast, many Twilight Zone episodes, with the exception of special effects and technology, could almost be set today. Why the difference?

by Anonymousreply 2801/01/2012

"Stopover In a Quiet Town"

Was shamelessly ripped off by Marvel Comics in 1980, in an issue of "The Micronauts".

by Anonymousreply 2901/01/2012

I grew up watching these shows as a kid and they scared me to death in the 1960s. I am amazed at how well the stories held up all these years.

by Anonymousreply 3001/01/2012

[quote]Why do some of the episodes not seem dated? Is it the crisp writing and acting or their universal themes or something else?

Has to be a combination of all three. All I know is that I can watch my favorite TZ's over and over and never get bored or tired of them.

by Anonymousreply 3101/01/2012

[quote]many Twilight Zone episodes, with the exception of special effects and technology, could almost be set today. Why the difference?

I think you partially answered your own question. The originals were made on a shoestring and they were made in B&W, mostly on sound stages and in the backlot. 80% of the effort went into good scripts and good acting.

Today (or even a few years after they were made) the ratio would have been reversed, and 80% would have gone into whizbang special effects and location shooting.

I think that's true for most shows. When everyone switched to color the quality of the scripts and acting suffered, and the shows became all about the visuals. You can see it most clearly in the decline of the TV Westerns.

by Anonymousreply 3201/01/2012

The favorite episodes are coming up. Below is the schedule from SyFy for the next few hours (too bad they got some of the titles slightly wrong for episodes earlier today. Oh, dear!). DL favorite "Talky Tina" is on at 8:00 p.m. I've put catchphrases or summaries next to them for those who may not know the episode titles.

The Invaders - DL fave Agnes Moorhead silently fighting off tiny aliens 05:00 PM t The Bewitchin' Pool - Children escape divorcing parents by diving into pool at the other end of which is a benevolent paradise for kids 05:30 PM

The Midnight Sun - The world is getting hotter for a young and old lady, or is it? 06:00 PM t The Masks - Dying old man makes ungrateful relatives wear masks to reveal their true selves. 07:00 PM t The Odyssey Of Flight 33 - Plane tries to land at Idlewild (now JFK) without much success 07:30 PM t Living Doll - Talky Tina and Telly Savalas! 08:00 PM t

The Obsolete Man - Burgess Meredith (without broken glasses) and Fritz Weaver in a totalitarian future where Burgess, his occupation and reading have become obsolete. Weaver would later do an homage to this episode on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine playing a Cardassian (not Kardashian). 08:30 PM t Eye Of The Beholder - Pig faces are beautiful. 09:00 PM t Time Enough At Last - That's not fair! Burgess Meredith with glasses and without bitchy wife or asshole boss. 09:30 PM t t A Stop At Willoughby - Less hellish than an actual Metro-North commute. 10:00 PM t The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street - Blackouts, Claude Akins (pre-Sensodyne) and Aliens prepping. 10:30 PM t To Serve Man - It's a cookbook! 11:00 PM t t Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up - Which of the patrons of a roadside diner is an alien? 11:30 PM t Nightmare At 20,000 Feet - William Shatner, post-nervous breakdown, sees a gremlin on an airplane wing and goes where Twilight Zone will boldly go again. Both he and John Lithgow, who reprised the role in the Twilight Zone movie, spoofed it on Third Rock from the Sun, which is similar in title to a Twilight Zone episode, Third From the Sun. 11:30 PM

by Anonymousreply 3301/01/2012

Thanks R33, DirecTV was posting the title of the episodes on their schedule but stopped for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 3401/01/2012

Same with Time Warner, R34. In the past, they listed the episodes in their on screen guide. Not this go round for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 3501/01/2012

Dish Network stopped posting the titles and summaries, too. Any chance The Howling Man, Spur of the Moment, or Queen of the Nile will be shown again? Those were always my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 3601/01/2012

They used to do a Honeymooners marathon on New Year's Eve on NY Channel 11. I miss it.

by Anonymousreply 3701/01/2012

R36, Howling Man is on at 6:30 p.m. Eastern, in about 20 minutes. I must have skipped that one. The other two won't be repeated.

by Anonymousreply 3801/01/2012

Isn't the Howling Man coming up next?

I love Queen of the Nile too and missed it yesterday.

The Twilight Zone usually airs on Saturday and Sunday @ 2-3 am Pacific time.

by Anonymousreply 3901/01/2012

[quote]I always watched with my dad. Since he's gone it makes me too sad to watch.

I'm in the same boat. He was the only person I knew who loved The Twilight Zone and we would watch it together every New Year's Day. Mostly I'm ok watching alone, but it does make me emotional during certain episodes that we both particularly liked. I got kind of teary during the one about the masks.

by Anonymousreply 4001/01/2012

R3 I am sorry but I have to dis agree. The ultimate Gay Twilight episode is the one with the woman in the hospital, covered in bandages, trying not to be "different"from the rest of her society. Either by accident on purpose thy use so many "Gay codes" and terms of the day that I could not help but notice them.That and it's message of pure tolerance to the point of acceptance make ti one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 4101/01/2012

Thanks for the schedule, R33.

But, it appears that Syfy is not following it.

by Anonymousreply 4201/01/2012

In The Masks, the son's ugly face has been stuck in my head for years, but I had no idea that the recently deceased Alan Sues was the actor.

Anyone else spend the day half watching the episode and half wandering around IMDB reading about the actors?

by Anonymousreply 4301/01/2012

Thanks, R42. It appears they've been off by half an hour for the last hour or so. I wonder whether they changed their online schedule to reflect that? Willoughby is showing right now.

As I mentioned earlier, I was slightly miffed that they even got the titles of some of the episodes wrong, as if they don't have any respect for what they're showing, which they probably don't. Of course, this is a channel that changed their name to SyFy to get away from being associated solely with science fiction and which shows films about deadly amoebas and the such starring Judd Nelson.

by Anonymousreply 4401/01/2012

It looks to me like they've been sticking to the posted schedule. My cable provider (Uverse) has also been accurate which I'm grateful for since some others have posted that theirs are wrong or incomplete.

by Anonymousreply 4501/01/2012

"The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street". Still holds true today only now it would probably be called "The Muslims Are Due..."

by Anonymousreply 4601/01/2012

It's a cookbook! It's a cookbook!

by Anonymousreply 4701/01/2012

I know it's not the same, but if anyone still has Netflix - there are 180 eps of the original TZ streaming.

by Anonymousreply 4801/01/2012

They're playing the real classics tonight.

by Anonymousreply 4901/01/2012

Dears Netflix has the entire series on streaming...

by Anonymousreply 5001/02/2012

I missed most of them. Did they show the ones with Anne Francis and Inger Stevens?

by Anonymousreply 5101/02/2012

They sure did R51. Classics both!

by Anonymousreply 5201/02/2012

Some of the later ones really aren't that hot. Also they seem to avoid showing the episodes that were done on tape.

"It's a Good Life" is the best episode. Also the scariest. Whenever I think of the concept of an all-powerful, all-seeing God who demands to be worshiped, that's what I think of (I'm a nontheist myself.)

by Anonymousreply 5301/02/2012

[quote]Anyone else spend the day half watching the episode and half wandering around IMDB reading about the actors?

I find myself doing that with the Alfred Hitchcock Presents and The Alfred Hitchcock Hour episodes shown nightly on AntennaTV and Encores Suspense.

by Anonymousreply 5401/02/2012

Bump for an update...

There will be a marathon for Independence Day tomorrow. It's a shorter one that normal, probably because the holiday falls in the middle of a week.

Looks like it starts at 8 a.m. and runs until 4 a.m. Thursday morning.

by Anonymousreply 5507/03/2012

As usual with the holiday marathons, looks likee they aren't scheduling any of the less popular episodes. Since this is one is only scheduled for a day, some of the shows you'd be expecting to see aren't making the cut.

Oh well, there is always Labor Day.

by Anonymousreply 5607/04/2012

Queen of the Nile is classic:

"I'm not her mother . . . I'm her daughter!"

by Anonymousreply 5707/04/2012

I've already got all my favorites marked.

by Anonymousreply 5807/04/2012

Trivia: The mother in "Queen of the Nile" is Celia Lovsky who was Peter Lorre's ex-wife. She later played the Vulcan matriarch T'Pau in Star Trek.

by Anonymousreply 5907/04/2012

[quote]Oh well, there is always Labor Day.

More like New Year's Day for the next TZ marathon, R56, since SyFy only seems to run it on New Year's and July 4th.

by Anonymousreply 6007/04/2012

Going my way?

by Anonymousreply 6107/04/2012

SyFy also does mini TZ marathons every few weeks or so.

by Anonymousreply 6207/04/2012

"This is the other place."

by Anonymousreply 6307/04/2012

Yes R62. One of the days midweek they run episodes from the start of their broadcast day until primetime. SyFy often runs marathons of lots of different shows during daytime hours on weekdays. I like to catch the V marathons.

And it's during those that we are more likely to see some of the less well known episodes that they don't schedule during these holiday marathons.

Also several days a week they start off their broadcast day (after the slate of overnight paid programming) with an episode or two. I'm sure most readers here already know all of that, but it never hurts to point it out for those that might not check the SyFy channel schedule that often.

by Anonymousreply 6407/04/2012

R64, I really love when I run into a TZ mini-marathon (especially one featuring the rarely shown episodes). This is one of those shows that I just find comforting to watch, even with its sometimes creepy themes.

by Anonymousreply 6507/04/2012

I'm with you on that R62. Isn't it odd that a show designed to twist our minds actually leaves us feeling like we've been given a warm embrace?

And if you are like me, none of the remade/updated versions of the program have the same impact. I've never cared for anything but the original series. It's kind of a shame that they can't figure out a way to make new shows that capture that same feeling.

I need a cup of instant smile. (I'm on the West Coast, so just watching the No. 12 Looks Just Like You episode now).

by Anonymousreply 6607/04/2012

R64/Vincent, the 80's version of TZ was atrocious - I did see one episode that I think was done by Spielberg that was better than the rest of the bunch, but overall it was quite inferior. I don't think anyone could recreate this classic show effectively or convincingly because the writing by Rod Serling and others on the original was first rate and the feel of the show can't really be reproduced. The 80's version was just so stale and sterile and lacked the genuinely creepy factor. It was like any other show on TV, whereas original TZ was something truly unique and timeless.

by Anonymousreply 6707/04/2012

It's funny that as often as I've seen some of these episodes, sometimes I forget what the twist is on a couple.

"Where is Everybody" is a good example. It's usually not until the reveal where I remember what the deal is with his situation. Then I immediately curse myself for knowing it, but not being able to remember when I want to.

by Anonymousreply 6807/04/2012

"80's version of TZ was atrocious"

Of course it was. "Twilight Zone" was unique; no remake could ever hope to capture how special that show was. And a "Twilight Zone" without Rod Serling? He WAS that show.

And of course that "Twilight Zone" movie was a travesty that killed three people.

Don't mess with the "Twilight Zone." Nothing good EVER came of attempts to do that.

by Anonymousreply 6907/04/2012

They just showed "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street" and whose voice do I recognize? The little queen who played young Patrick Dennis in AUNTIE MAME in his only other imdb listed role.

by Anonymousreply 7007/05/2012

I fell in love with Lois Nettleton when I was a tiny little lesbian child, and had a thing for her all my life. Watching The Midnight Sun tonight, I was so wishing I could lick every bit of sweat from her. She was still gorgeous on the episode of The Golden Girls. Aside from my lust, Twilight Zone was one of the best TV shows ever. I've been watching Night Gallery on Hulu lately, and that's the only thing that comes close to the remarkable acting and writing of TZ. I miss quality television. So sick of the redneck rage on every bloody channel.

by Anonymousreply 7107/05/2012

R71, I second your lesbian Lois love. Always found her hot and that slip ep is still stirring. Excellent actress, too.

Isn't that Lee Patrick as her elderly neighbor?

by Anonymousreply 7212/08/2012

I just checked the SyFy schedule to see if they were doing the usual end of year marathon.

They are. The entire schedule for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day is all classic TZ.

by Anonymousreply 7312/18/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 7412/18/2012

I love Hitch Hicker, Judgment and The Jungle too. There are so many episodes that I watch over and over - Mirror Image, Walking Distance, And When The Sky Was Opened, The Parallel, Living Doll, Third from the Sun, Ring A Ding Girl, Death's Head Revisited, Night Call, The 7th Is Made Up of Phantoms, Stopover in a Quiet Town, The Fear, The Odyssey of Flight 33, The Dummy, Perchance to Dream, The 16 mm Shrine, Queen of the Nile, In His Image, To Serve Man, The Last Flight, It's a Good Life, Elegy.

And yes, Rod Serling was awesome.

Can't wait for the TZ marathon!

by Anonymousreply 7512/18/2012

He was a bad man so I turned him into a jack-in-the-box

by Anonymousreply 7612/18/2012

by Anonymousreply 7812/18/2012

by Anonymousreply 7912/19/2012

ALWAYS!!

by Anonymousreply 8012/19/2012

"A Thing About Machines" about a man who believes all the electronics in his home are turning on him is another good one.

by Anonymousreply 8112/19/2012

by Anonymousreply 8212/19/2012

by Anonymousreply 8312/19/2012

I totally agree R83. TZ episodes can be watched over and over and they still are compelling and never stale, a tribute to his brilliance.

by Anonymousreply 8412/19/2012

[quote]The Odyssey Of Flight 33 - Plane tries to land at Idlewild (now JFK) without much success

A family favorite as we are all pilots and can't get enough of that huge cockpit with numerous crew.

by Anonymousreply 8512/19/2012

by Anonymousreply 8612/19/2012

Well said R86.

by Anonymousreply 8712/19/2012

by Anonymousreply 8812/19/2012

by Anonymousreply 8912/30/2012

Thanks R89.

by Anonymousreply 9012/30/2012

[quote]"Number Twelve Looks Just Like You" with Ur-supermodel Suzy Parker is starting.

I had no idea Suzy Parker was in an episode of TZ.

She was married (until death) to Bradford Dillman who starred in my favorite Lovecraft influenced Night Gallery episode: Pickman's Model.

by Anonymousreply 9112/30/2012

bump. It's started.

by Anonymousreply 9212/31/2012

by Anonymousreply 9312/31/2012

by Anonymousreply 9412/31/2012

That's one of my favorites R93, very unnerving.

by Anonymousreply 9512/31/2012

Rod Serling had a sexiness about him. It was probably the sharp suits and the smoking.

by Anonymousreply 9612/31/2012

Last night on MeTV they showed a TZ I'd never seen before... it looked like a live play shot on early videotape.

At first I thought that maybe the master had been lost and all they had was a kinescope... but no. The bumpers were the traditional filmed ones but the story itself seemed to have been shot on video with multiple cameras and edited in the control booth as they went along.

I was curious enough to look it up, and it turns out TZ did six episodes on videotape as an experiment in order to save money. Has anyone else seen these?

by Anonymousreply 9712/31/2012

"Eye Of The Beholder" is beginning aka pig faces are beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 9812/31/2012

Classic

by Anonymousreply 9912/31/2012

"The Invaders" starting now - DL fave Agnes Moorhead silently fighting off tiny aliens

by Anonymousreply 10012/31/2012

The one about the diner and the mysterious bus passenger was pretty creepy too.

by Anonymousreply 10112/31/2012

Going my way?

by Anonymousreply 10212/31/2012

It's a cookbook!

by Anonymousreply 10312/31/2012

I am! William Shatner is freaking out on the plane.

by Anonymousreply 10412/31/2012

"Living Doll" - Talky Tina and Telly Savalas!

by Anonymousreply 10512/31/2012

R105 - and some of Telly's hair.

by Anonymousreply 10612/31/2012

"The Masks" - Dying old man makes ungrateful relatives wear masks to reveal their true selves.

by Anonymousreply 10712/31/2012

How much has been cut for the extra commercials, anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 10812/31/2012

They've saved all the classics for tonight.

by Anonymousreply 10912/31/2012

"I Sing the Body Electric"

by Anonymousreply 11012/31/2012

Never really much a fan of "I Sing the Body Electric."

The next one, where the Sun is moving towards the Earth, is a great episode! Really great twsit of an ending. M. Night Ramalamadingdong wishes he could come up with something that clever.

by Anonymousreply 11112/31/2012

"The Midnight Sun" - The world is getting hotter for a young and old lady, or is it?

by Anonymousreply 11201/01/2013

Anyone got a light?

by Anonymousreply 11301/01/2013

I've watched these for years, and I would have sworn that I had seen all of them at one time or another, but this morning I've watched two episodes I've never seen before.

by Anonymousreply 11401/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 11501/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 11601/01/2013

R115, they showed "When the Sky was Opened" last night and they may have shown "Judgment Night" already.

by Anonymousreply 11701/01/2013

Why am I sitting here watching them filled with annoying commercials when any day of the year I could stream them on Netflix?

by Anonymousreply 11801/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 11901/01/2013

Room for one more, honey.

by Anonymousreply 12001/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 12101/01/2013

Rod Taylor looks good. And the guy in the hospital bed is fine too - Jim Hutton, Timothy Hutton's father.

by Anonymousreply 12201/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 12301/01/2013

A young hunky William Shatner. And a fortune telling machine.

by Anonymousreply 12401/01/2013

"My name is Talking Tina, and I think I might hate you."

by Anonymousreply 12501/01/2013

Roddy McDowall was cute. I could see hooking up with him.

This episode feels like a lot was cut out though. Was it originally one of the hour long ones?

by Anonymousreply 12601/01/2013

Glad to see some love for "And When The Sky Was Opened". It doesn't get a lot of attention, but it's truly one of the creepiest episodes ever of TZ and one of my favorites. And Rod Taylor was a hottie.

by Anonymousreply 12701/01/2013

I bet a lot of us have seen TZ for so many years that we know the episode within seconds of the opening shot.

They just ran the episode about the insane astronaut who declares himself a god on the planet of tiny people. In fact, it seems as if in many of the TZ space stories there's always at least one nutty or borderline hysterical crew member. In real life, astronauts are cool, calm, and a little boring.

If TZ had imagined the moon landing, Neil Armstrong, Collins, and Aldrin would have been duking it out over who got to be the first man on the moon.

Armstrong wins and then gets eaten by a moon shark.

by Anonymousreply 12801/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 12901/01/2013

In the epsisode Third from the Sun, is the daughter a person who went on to play a character on General Hospital?

by Anonymousreply 13001/01/2013

She's Dr. Lesley Webber!

by Anonymousreply 13101/01/2013

Next stop Willoughby!

by Anonymousreply 13201/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 13301/01/2013

Another great episode R133 and it's one I only recently started watching.

by Anonymousreply 13401/01/2013

The dolls. The dolls in the donation bin. That was fucking awesome!

by Anonymousreply 13501/01/2013

I think "Eye of the Beholder" is about the only thing other than "Hillbillies " I can recall Donna Douglas doing. And isn't her voice dubbed in that? Also, the guy at the end from the "ugly" colony is very hot even by our current tough standards. Had to add that just in deference to our DL core focus.

by Anonymousreply 13601/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 13701/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 13801/01/2013

"I think "Eye of the Beholder" is about the only thing other than "Hillbillies " I can recall Donna Douglas doing. And isn't her voice dubbed in that?"

The woman in the bandages is not Donna Douglas. That was Maxine Stuart. Douglas was only the "unwrapped" Janet Tyler. They thought they'd have to dub Douglas's voice after the unveiling, but she did such a good version of Maxine Stuart's voice that they didn't need to do it. As for Douglas, you can see her in other things. She did an episode of "Night Gallery." She was in a movie with Elvis Presley called "Frankie and Johnny." And she had a cameo role in the film version of the musical "L'il Abner" as (what else?) a beautiful girl.

by Anonymousreply 13901/01/2013

"The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street" - Blackouts, Claude Akins (pre-Sensodyne) and Aliens prepping

by Anonymousreply 14001/01/2013

I always loved the episode "The Hitchhiker." The guy who played him was so perfect for the role! But I remember the ending differently. The one I saw during the marathon shows Nan getting back into the car, adjusting the mirror, and seeing the hitchhiker sitting in the back seat. He calmly says "I believe you're going my way." The camera then shows Nan's impassive face and then moves upward towards the night sky. But I remembered it like this: the camera moves overhead and show's Nan's car slowly pulling away, getting back on the road and disappearing into the darkness towards...? I don't know why I always remembered it like that. I like my ending better.

by Anonymousreply 14101/01/2013

Maybe there's an alternate ending to the Hitchhiker that's as you describe R141, but I've never seen anything other than the one they showed last night.

by Anonymousreply 14201/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 14301/01/2013

I hate the way Number 12 Looks Just Like You turns out.

I need me a big glass of Instant Smile after I watch it.

by Anonymousreply 14401/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 14501/01/2013

Now that you mention that r141, that sounds familiar to me too. I don't remember him saying anything to her, but it seems like I remember seeing her adjust the rearview mirror, seeing him sitting in the backseat and just reacting like it was expected - no scream or quick-around or anything.

I tried to find a youtube link of the episode, but couldn't. But the wiki summary of the plot indicates that you are completely correct r141. Good recall!

by Anonymousreply 14601/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 14701/01/2013

That episode "Little Girl Lost" always reminds me of Poltergeist.

by Anonymousreply 14801/01/2013

I always liked the one where Donna Douglas (Elly May Clampett) was undergoing plastic surgury because she was considered uglyin the world in which she lived. I love the episode where the elderly couple could trade in their bodies for young healthy ones but only had enough money for one transformation.

by Anonymousreply 14901/01/2013

R15, that's the one that stands out in my memory, too. Kind of hamfisted script, totally un-subtle.

by Anonymousreply 15001/01/2013

Yonkers

Yonkers

Yonkers!

by Anonymousreply 15101/01/2013

I wonder how many cigarettes Serling went through in doing the introductions.

by Anonymousreply 15201/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 15301/01/2013

I think they showed that one R153.

by Anonymousreply 15401/01/2013

The Grave was on many hours ago R153. I saw it this morning.

The wind was still blowing from the South.

by Anonymousreply 15501/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 15601/01/2013

Did they show "One For The Angels" with Ed Wynn and Murray Hamilton as Death? Although Robert Redford made for a much cuter Death. "You see. No shock. No engulfment. No tearing asunder. What you feared would come like an explosion is like a whisper."

by Anonymousreply 15701/01/2013

So, the episode that's on now on the East coast, "The Bewitchin' Pool". . .does it seem like all of that little girl's dialogue is badly overdubbed? Or is that little girl a young Andie McDowell?

by Anonymousreply 15801/01/2013

Rod Serling was only fifty years old when he died. No doubt his prodigious consumption of cigarettes hastened his demise. Fuck cigs!

by Anonymousreply 15901/01/2013

Isn't it "Scout" from To Kill A Mockingbird? She grew up a bit.

by Anonymousreply 16001/01/2013

You are right, r158, the little girls voice was dubbed according to the wiki page.

Also of interest is The Bewitchin Pool was the last episode aired in the last season of the original TZ.

by Anonymousreply 16101/01/2013

Scout sounds like Rocky the Squirrel. I keep waiting for Bullwinkle to show up.

by Anonymousreply 16201/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 16301/01/2013

Scout was clearly dubbed by an adult in the outdoor scenes -- but her mother seemed to have dubbed her own lines as well.

by Anonymousreply 16401/01/2013

"The Dummy" is on now, another eerie one.

by Anonymousreply 16501/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 16601/01/2013

Jack Klugman in "A Game of Pool."

by Anonymousreply 16701/01/2013

Funny r162, I was thinking earlier that the main character in the "A Kind of Stopwatch" (with Carolyn Abbleby in a supporting role) episode sounded just like Mr. Peabody. I even had to look it up.

by Anonymousreply 16801/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 16901/02/2013

My favorite episode is on now, "I am the Night---Color Me Black."

by Anonymousreply 17001/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 17101/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 17201/02/2013

This Cunt is watching!

by Anonymousreply 17301/02/2013

Cunts.

by Anonymousreply 17401/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 17501/02/2013

What amazes me about all the Twilight Zone episodes is that they stand up to the test of time and the themes are still very relevant. This shows the genius of Sterling and the writers of this series.

by Anonymousreply 17601/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 17701/02/2013

If I taught a writing class, I think I would make the students try to write a spec script for Twilight Zone. After 130+ episodes, I think it would be almost impossible to come up with a fresh idea.

by Anonymousreply 17801/02/2013

"So, the episode that's on now on the East coast, "The Bewitchin' Pool". . .does it seem like all of that little girl's dialogue is badly overdubbed? Or is that little girl a young Andie McDowell?"

I couldn't watch that episode. So many things about it sucked.

Mary Badham's voice was indeed dubbed. Her speech was deemed unintelligible due to her Southern accent or something, so her voice was replaced with that of June Foray. June Foray was also the voice of Rocky the Flying Squirrel, which is why Badham sounds so much like him.

In "To Kill a Mockingbird" she was Jean Louise aka "Scout"; in "The Bewitchin' Pool" she's Jean Louise aka "Sport." How original and clever!

The story was treacly and sappy and heavy-handed. This was not on of the best TZ episodes.

Earl Hamner Jr., the creator of the Waltons, wrote it. He was displeased with it; he didn't like the performance of the actress who played "Aunt T." He thought she was too cutesy. But the episode as a whole was definitely below par.

by Anonymousreply 17901/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 18101/02/2013

R181, his performance was actually rather restrained as his character was supposed to be meek and compliant, subservient to the state. Like his character on TZ, he describes the benefits to the public of witnessing "justice" carried out and the wisdom of the state. His anticipated end is much the same on Star Trek as in TX: he is now obsolete.

by Anonymousreply 18201/02/2013

[quote]Earl Hamner Jr., the creator of the Waltons, wrote it. He was displeased with it; he didn't like the performance of the actress who played "Aunt T." He thought she was too cutesy. But the episode as a whole was definitely below par.

It could have been saved if the children were seen living it up with Aunt Tee... and at the very end, the parents found their bodies in the pool and the viewer discovered they were dead. Not that it would have happened in early 1960s TV...

by Anonymousreply 18301/02/2013

For some reason I always get the feeling that maybe those kids are in real trouble with "Aunt T," and maybe they would be better off back with the parents. Just something about her gives me the creeps.

by Anonymousreply 18401/02/2013

R181, the Fritz Weaver Star Trek episode is "Tribunal".

by Anonymousreply 18501/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 18601/03/2013

Does anyone know where I can buy a gold thimble? Hello...

by Anonymousreply 18701/03/2013

"DA-ADDY!!!"

by Anonymousreply 18801/04/2013

Which one is it, r188?

I keep seeing the Silence of the Lambs flashback with the kid that played Clarice Starling as a little girl when she's sneaking up on her dad and says "Daaddy" with that accent.

by Anonymousreply 18901/04/2013

r188, it is a little girl... crying for her father from far away...

by Anonymousreply 19001/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 19101/05/2013

Guess this TZ quote: "Gaaaah! GAAAAAH!!!!" *CHOP CHOP*

by Anonymousreply 19201/05/2013

Those clues aren't enough for me to ID the episodes.

Remember several years ago SyFy Channel (before that name change) had a marathon where they let fans vote for all-time favorite episodes? Then they played them in a countdown order. It was kind of interesting to see what shows were most appreciated by fans.

And those episodes always show up during the marathons. There are a handful of shows that don't get scheduled as much and never seem to make the marathons.

This week I've been recording the shows that SyFy shows at end of night and beginning of their broadcast day. There have been some that aren't in regular marathon rotation.

Nervous Man in a Four-Dollar Room

Execution

The Man in the Bottle

Those are some that have been on this week.

by Anonymousreply 19301/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 19401/09/2013

I was trying to figure that out R194 because I knew I saw the episode it came from, but I just couldn't remember.

by Anonymousreply 19501/09/2013

The episodes are so brilliantly conceived that I find myself rivited. And there are moments when I am about to break out in a cold sweat. Unbelievable. Much more engaging than present day offerings of the same genre. 10+ from me.

by Anonymousreply 19601/09/2013

I've seen many of the episodes several times and they never seem stale or boring. I can watch them over and over and still find them fascinating. I'm glad TZ is a staple on Syfy - I notice it airs throughout the week and weekends now in the wee hours mostly, but I try to catch them when I can.

by Anonymousreply 19701/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 19801/09/2013

It's a true classic.

by Anonymousreply 19901/09/2013

[quote] Where everybody speaks to each other in whispers,

Probably to give the impression that something profound is happening. Apparently they can't just do it by writing a good script.

by Anonymousreply 20001/09/2013

Another marathon on Thursday.

It will be a short one this time. Starts Thursday morning (whenever their early a.m. block of infomercials ends) and only runs until the start of the infomercials on Friday morning.

by Anonymousreply 20207/02/2013

My favorite episode of all time is "Will the real Martian stand up"

Classic.

by Anonymousreply 20307/02/2013

It has begun.

by Anonymousreply 20407/04/2013

"DA-ADDY!!!"

The one where the girl falls through the wall into another dimension.

My favorite part -- they call a neighbor, who proceeds to cover an entire bedroom wall with advanced mathematical calculations. Turning to the camera, he then says, "I'm no expert...."

by Anonymousreply 20507/04/2013

I watched an old Night Gallery on Hulu Plus that starred Diane Keaton as a ditzy nurse. The "old man" she took care of looked like he was about 48 years old...

by Anonymousreply 20607/04/2013

This is the Burgess Meredith hour. "The Obsolete Man" followed by "Time Enough at Last". "It's not fair!"

by Anonymousreply 20707/04/2013

"A Stop At Willoughby - Less hellish than an actual Metro-North commute"

by Anonymousreply 20807/04/2013

Pig people!

by Anonymousreply 20907/04/2013

Donna Douglass was quite beautiful, but that can't have been her voice, right?

Next up: "To Serve Man"! Then, Shatner's tour de force "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet".

by Anonymousreply 21007/04/2013

It's a cookbook!

Dl fave.

by Anonymousreply 21107/04/2013

"To serve man" terrified me as a child.

by Anonymousreply 21207/04/2013

Why, R212?

by Anonymousreply 21307/04/2013

I prefer "The Scary Door"

by Anonymousreply 21407/04/2013

The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street. It's still very applicable to the current United States.

by Anonymousreply 21507/04/2013

We usually get all of the popular classic episodes during one of those marathons. This time the schedule was so short that they left out a lot of the regulars. I wish they had programmed it to carry over into today.

by Anonymousreply 21607/05/2013

Did Rod Serling sell the rights to The Twilight Zone, meaning I guess his kids don't get any money from these marathons,

by Anonymousreply 21707/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 21807/05/2013

In "The After Hours" I'm impressed at how much they got Anne Francis and the woman that plays the clerk to look like their mannequin equivalents. Well done considering it was a 1960 TV production.

by Anonymousreply 21907/05/2013

I was thinking the same thing last night R219. Anne Francis's mannequin was dead on her, really great work.

I used to really look forward to the TZ marathons, but Hulu has spoiled me since they have the entire series with no editing - I'm enjoying seeing all the scenes that Syfy cuts out for commercial time.

by Anonymousreply 22007/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 22107/05/2013

I think that one got left out this time, r221. Like you, I didn't see the entire marathon, but I don't remember seeing it listed when I scanned the schedule ahead of time. It's a favorite of mine as well, and not just because Rod Taylor looks especially hunky.

by Anonymousreply 22207/05/2013

I'm with R221 and R222, I've always loved that particular episode, it's VERY creepy. They didn't show another of my favorites, "Mirror Image" with Vera Miles, it's not one they show often or one that anybody ever talks about, but it's kind of ominous and disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 22307/05/2013

I enjoy Mirror Image as well. It was made before Bus travel was strictly the provence of the poor. And Martin Milner does a nice job in support of Vera Miles, though I much prefer Milner playing opposite Kent McCord!

by Anonymousreply 22407/05/2013

[quote] It was made before Bus travel was strictly the provence of the poor.

That's something I never thought about before, good point.

by Anonymousreply 22507/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 22607/05/2013

Yes, R226; I saw it for perhaps the 3rd time ever. I've been afraid to fly (for no good reason) since 1984; this didn't help, hee-hee! GREAT episode.

by Anonymousreply 22707/05/2013

Are they part of the regular/free Hulu service, r220, or the premium level that you have to pay for?

I also like to watch the original episodes unedited and see where SyFy makes cuts for commercials.

But even if they are all available for free streaming, that wouldn't stop me from watching the marathons. I enjoy the way that SyFy makes an 'event' feeling out of scheduling them.

by Anonymousreply 22807/06/2013

R228, yes, it's the regular free Hulu service. And I'm with you, I still watch the TZ marathons regardless of the editing - I love the series so much, it draws me in every time.

by Anonymousreply 22907/06/2013

My local PBS station is rerunning their Pioneers of Television series and I just saw the episode on Sci Fi TV.

In it, they have an old interview with Rod Serling where he says that his overall favorite episode was "Time Enough At Last." He added that his favorite episode that he didn't write himself was "The Invaders."

by Anonymousreply 23007/07/2013

I know you guys don't like "The Bewitching Pool" but coming from an abusive home, I really related to it. I saw it when I was so young that whenever I swam in a pool I would imagine that if I got so deep to the bottom I'd be transported to another place. So watching it now, even though I know it's a lesser episode, it still gives some nostalgic hope to me. But I think, as an adult, "The Midnight Sun" is far and away my favorite episode.

by Anonymousreply 23107/11/2013

R231, I was lucky enough to come from a non-abusive home (well suppose these days WOULD qualify as verbal abuse; we just thought it was arguing, hee-hee!) and I LOVED that episode, "Bewitching Pool." AM old, was probably 10-12 when saw the orig., with my brother (2 years younger) and our babysitter. Freaked me out! One of the best "Zone" episodes.

ANOTHER one that freaked me out big time (till I was 40ish and saw on a rerun) - don't remember title? but is one where an attractive blond woman (Diana Hyland; RIP) goes horseback riding and occasionally sees a HIDEOUS crone riding behind her.

Turns out: is her older self, to come.

(Now that I'm about 15 years older than Hyland when she passed away FAR too young: episode resonates even more! (haven't been on a horse in 35 years, though, heh-heh)

What a GREAT series (the original) it was.

by Anonymousreply 23207/11/2013

[quote]Time Enough At Last.

Never understood the need for such a cruel ending. He didn't deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 23307/11/2013

I agree, R233. It's not fair.

by Anonymousreply 23407/11/2013

Best tv series ever.

by Anonymousreply 23507/11/2013

[quote]ANOTHER one that freaked me out big time (till I was 40ish and saw on a rerun) - don't remember title? but is one where an attractive blond woman (Diana Hyland; RIP) goes horseback riding and occasionally sees a HIDEOUS crone riding behind her. Turns out: is her older self, to come.

Spur Of The Moment, r232. A very good one that they don't often play during the SyFy marathons.

She's like a creepy witch scaring the young girl all the time when she's chasing her. But in the end it turns out that she's just desperately trying to talk to her to warn the younger version of herself not to marry the guy that she end up marrying - the one that has made her life miserable for so many years.

by Anonymousreply 23607/12/2013

R234, I see what you did there.

This was on TZ once, it's weird and creepy.

by Anonymousreply 23707/12/2013

I've always enjoyed "One For The Angels" and "Nothing In The Dark", the latter featuring a young Robert Redford. "You see -- no shock, no engulfment, no tearing asunder. What you feared would come like an explosion is like a whisper. What you thought was the end is the beginning."

by Anonymousreply 23807/12/2013

bump. Marathon beings tomorrow (12/31) at 8 am.

by Anonymousreply 23912/30/2013

It's a Facebook!

by Anonymousreply 24012/31/2013

Love the one with Rod Taylor and Jim Hutton when they were young and cute

by Anonymousreply 24112/31/2013

The Facebook/Twitter pop-ups are annoying.

by Anonymousreply 24212/31/2013

Are they showing The Hitchhiker? I love that one!

by Anonymousreply 24312/31/2013

Yes, "The Hitchhiker" is on tonight, I think around midnight. Look up the schedule on SyFy's website. The marathon is all day tomorrow, too (New Year's Day).

by Anonymousreply 24412/31/2013

Earth creature in his native habitat!

by Anonymousreply 24512/31/2013

Old Man and his loyal hound dog.

by Anonymousreply 24612/31/2013

I love that this thread gets bumped for each marathon!

The most popular episodes get scheduled during prime time.

I've seen 3 episodes so far that don't get as much play: "A Nice Place to Visit", "A World of His Own", and "King Nine Will Not Return" (now airing).

by Anonymousreply 24712/31/2013

Get the complete series on blu ray. A little pricey but well worth it.

by Anonymousreply 24812/31/2013

R244 SPOILER ALERT!

by Anonymousreply 24912/31/2013

I fucking love it. New Year's isn't New Year's without my Twilight Zone and Honeymooners marathons.

by Anonymousreply 25012/31/2013

Is no one watching this year?

by Anonymousreply 25112/31/2013

Going my way, R251?

by Anonymousreply 25212/31/2013

Why did they get rid of the eye in the original opening?

by Anonymousreply 25312/31/2013

This episode "Where Is Everybody?" with Earl Holliman. This was the very first episode of the series, broadcast on October 2, 1959.

by Anonymousreply 25412/31/2013

I feel so dirty that I was aroused by William Shattner's hands, arms and biceps in the 1960 Ridgeview Ohio episode.

by Anonymousreply 25512/31/2013

"I feel so dirty that I was aroused by William Shattner's hands, arms and biceps in the 1960 Ridgeview Ohio episode."

Don't be ashamed. He was handsome as a young man.

by Anonymousreply 25612/31/2013

Earl Holliman was also cute when he was young

by Anonymousreply 25712/31/2013

Time Enough At Last is on now.

by Anonymousreply 25812/31/2013

After that bitch of a wife rips up his book, I always love the line Burgess Meredith says (and will usually say it right before he does), "Why, Helen? Why do you do these things?"

Can't tell you why. Just something about the way he said it I guess.

by Anonymousreply 25912/31/2013

Earl Holliman is a closeted gay we rarely discuss here.

by Anonymousreply 26012/31/2013

Did they show "Nothing In The Dark" with a young Robert Redford yet? I love that one (for the story as well as RR) as well as "One For The Angels" about the salesman marked for death.

by Anonymousreply 26112/31/2013

I believe you're going, my way?

by Anonymousreply 26212/31/2013

I like the one where the little boy, Bill Mumy, has control over the towns people. Better not make him mad, will turn you into a jack-in-the-box. I wish I had his power..

by Anonymousreply 26412/31/2013

"A Stop at Willoughby" is still relevant today.

by Anonymousreply 26512/31/2013

Room for one more, honey.

by Anonymousreply 26612/31/2013

Has anyone ever told you that you should go to AAA?

by Anonymousreply 26712/31/2013

I never knew Redford was in an episode. Going to search for it on YT.

by Anonymousreply 26812/31/2013

"Eye Of The Beholder"

Pig people is starting!

by Anonymousreply 26912/31/2013

"Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up" starring the great, queeny character actor John Hoyt is on at 11pm (eastern)

by Anonymousreply 27012/31/2013

Now beginning: "The Invaders - DL fave Agnes Moorhead silently fighting off tiny aliens"

by Anonymousreply 27112/31/2013

From earth.

by Anonymousreply 27212/31/2013

SPOILER ALERT at R272!

by Anonymousreply 27312/31/2013

Classic

by Anonymousreply 27412/31/2013

I decided to join you guys since Kathy Griffin WON'T SHUT UP!!!

by Anonymousreply 27512/31/2013

11:00 PM Eastern "Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up - Which of the patrons of a roadside diner is an alien?"

by Anonymousreply 27612/31/2013

Welcome, R275!

by Anonymousreply 27712/31/2013

Joseph Ruskin, who was the voice of the alien in "To Serve Man" (It's a cookbook!") has died at 89. He also played various roles in Star Trek series.

by Anonymousreply 27812/31/2013

Ruskin was also the genie in "The Man in the Bottle". It is not being shown in this marathon.

by Anonymousreply 27912/31/2013

A few years ago Ann Francis (from the TZ episode The After Hours) died shortly after one of the Twilight Zone marathons aired.

The Twilight Zone kills!

by Anonymousreply 28012/31/2013

On now: "The Obsolete Man - Burgess Meredith (without broken glasses) and Fritz Weaver in a totalitarian future where Burgess, his occupation and reading have become obsolete. Weaver would later do an homage to this episode on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine playing a Cardassian (not Kardashian)."

Next: "The Midnight Sun - The world is getting hotter for a young and old lady, or is it?"

by Anonymousreply 28112/31/2013

We're several episodes behind you here on the West Coast.

by Anonymousreply 28201/01/2014

It's 4:30 on the east coast and they're airing Anne Francis in 'The After Hours.'

I love the posts with interesting facts and background info about the show or the actors. Much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 28301/01/2014

Betty Garde, the older woman in Midnight Sun, was also the bull dyke with a heart of gold in the film "Caged".

by Anonymousreply 28401/01/2014

How's it going? Can't watch now.

by Anonymousreply 28501/01/2014

Yes - Betty was "Kitty" in "Caged" and like Ellen Corby, her face never changed in 40 uears of acting. Inger Stevens was so gorgeous. Love seeing all these great character actors.

by Anonymousreply 28601/01/2014

"Uncle Simon" with the DL fave Constance Ford. She played an evil dumpy dyke like no one could!

by Anonymousreply 28701/01/2014

Unlike most, I absolutely fucking HATED "It's a Good Life," which is on right now, mainly because the kid got no comeuppance whatsoever -- it was just a half hour of him being evil and then it was over. What was the point? (And the follow-up episode they did in the 80s on that new Twilight Zone was even worse.)

Anyway, guess I'll use this time to make a quick run to the grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 28801/01/2014

You're a bad man, R288! You're a very bad man!

I'm turning you into your own shopping cart!

by Anonymousreply 28901/01/2014

My episode is on right now. You better be watching; if you aren't, then I don't like you. I wish people I don't like into the cornfield.

by Anonymousreply 29001/01/2014

How many segments did Billy Mummy do? He was so cute.

by Anonymousreply 29101/01/2014

Can Anthony wish Sarah Palin into a cornfield?

by Anonymousreply 29201/01/2014

I adore you, R289.

by Anonymousreply 29301/01/2014

It's a cookbook!

by Anonymousreply 29401/01/2014

Are they not showing And Then The Sky Was Open?

by Anonymousreply 29501/01/2014

R295, they showed it yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 29601/01/2014

"My name is Talky Tina."

by Anonymousreply 29701/01/2014

"and I'm going to kill you."

by Anonymousreply 29801/01/2014

The Masks. One of the favorites.

by Anonymousreply 29901/01/2014

"The Masks - Dying old man makes ungrateful relatives wear masks to reveal their true selves."

by Anonymousreply 30001/01/2014

Next is, what is in my opinion, the worst Twilight Zone episode ever: "The Bewitchin' Pool". I know it has its admirers, but I think it is like a Spielberg movie: designed to pull at the heartstrings and assuage the feelings of adults who couldn't cope with them as children and mature. See E.T., for example.

by Anonymousreply 30101/01/2014

Do they ever show the one hour episodes from season 4?

by Anonymousreply 30201/01/2014

[quote] Dying old man makes ungrateful relatives wear masks to reveal their true selves."

I always wondered how that nice old man ended up with such shitty children and grandchildren.

by Anonymousreply 30301/01/2014

Never liked "The Bewitchin' Pool". That Auntie in the other world was creepy. And the obvious dubbing of the little girl is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 30401/01/2014

Have these been edited so SyFy can squeeze more commercials in? I seem to recall a scene in the Talky Tina episode that didn't appear in the episode that aired tonight.

by Anonymousreply 30501/01/2014

Love the crazy one with Joan Blondell.

"A fan dancer in YONKERS!!!"

by Anonymousreply 30601/01/2014

Bewitchin' Pool should have ended with the two kids floating face down in the pool.

by Anonymousreply 30701/01/2014

[quote] Unlike most, I absolutely fucking HATED "It's a Good Life," which is on right now, mainly because the kid got no comeuppance whatsoever -- it was just a half hour of him being evil and then it was over. What was the point?

The point was to influence a young boy who watched the show (named Stephen King) to take all the frightening aspects of this half hour show and make a career writing countless books based on it.

A child who rules a town, eventually killing all adults. Cornfields. Telekinesis. Pyrokinesis. Telepathy. Mind reading. Children vs parents. Disappearing dogs. Characters being trapped and isolated from the outside world. Victimization of the weak by the strong. Characters are exhorted to stand up against chaos and for the common good.

King was influenced by a lot of Twilight Zone episodes, but this one is chockful of influences.

Aside from that ---- Rod Serling was a soldier in WWII. He was profoundly affected by it. Many of his shows are about war -- the futility and destruction caused by war; fear of war; fear of people who are different and the effect that conformity and authoritarianism have on society and how it leads to fear and degradation.

Serling was anti-fascist and anti-communist. The books 1984 and Animal Farm were big influences on him. The entire point of this episode was to show that a society that is constantly watched and judged and isolated from the outside world by an all-powerful dictator is a miserable, frightening and lethal place to live and that people need to band together and fight against oppression or they are all doomed.

by Anonymousreply 30801/02/2014

Never saw the mask episode before and was surprised to see the late Alan Sues in it.

by Anonymousreply 30901/02/2014

[quote]And the obvious dubbing of the little girl is ridiculous.

Seriously. And that girl was Mary Badham, who played Scout in "To Kill a Mockingbird" just a few years before this episode. Her voice was good enough for that American classic but not TZ?

by Anonymousreply 31001/02/2014

I can't stick around all weekend to watch the entire marathon, though I stayed up until 4:00 this morning. Every year, there are one, two or three episodes I've never seen. This year was no different. Right now, I'm watching the episode with the robot grandmother who loves three young children "forever". I hate the episode with Bill Mummy as the evil child! Not sure why . . .

by Anonymousreply 31101/02/2014

Billy Mumy is in the episode airing now - the one about the dead grandma and the telephone. Some of these episodes look as if they were televised live. They have that old soap opera look to them.

by Anonymousreply 31201/02/2014

R312 Those episodes were done during the season where they had to cut the budget and switch from film to videotape.

by Anonymousreply 31301/02/2014

They did a sequel to It's a Good Life, starring grown up Billy Mumy, with Cloris Leachman returning as his mother and his real-life daughter playing his daughter. If you've seen The Santa Claus 2 during one of its 853190th airings this past month, you will recognize her as Tim Allen's niece.

It's an hour long, which is a mistake. It should have been a quickie half hour that didn't take itself so seriously.

by Anonymousreply 31401/02/2014

The non-marathon episode on MeTV tonight features DL favorite Constance Ford!

by Anonymousreply 31501/02/2014

What's worse about the dubbing in "The Bewitchin' Pool" is that June Foray provided the voice so the little girl sounds like Rocky the Squirrel.

by Anonymousreply 31601/02/2014

Oh, my (non-existent) god! I had no idea that Joseph Ruskin was Galt! I should have to serve as practice target. RIP, Joe.

The six episodes of S2 that were shot on videotape (including "Long-Distance Call" and the much-repeated "Night of the Meek" with Art Carney as Santa Claus) were not a budget-cut mandate, as such. It was done experimentally (but yes, with an eye on the budget, of course) and when the six had been filmed, producer Buck Houghton was able to say "we tried it, it didn't work" and get CBS to let them go back to film. So, yes, budget pressure, but it's not as though they were flat-broke or anything.

Charles Aidman, the third astronaut in the Rod Taylor-Jim Hutton "And When the Sky was Opened" trio (and also the friendly neighbor who can help pull your daughter back from another dimension in "Little Girl Lost") was the replacement narrator on the first two seasons of the 1980s version. (Robin Ward narrated the 3rd, syndicated, season.) I actually think there were many good episodes of that version (the Steve Railsback episode, "Dead Run", should be popular here, I'd guess), but nothing is the same as the original, of course.

It's a pity the fourth-season episodes (the hour-long ones) aren't shown on SyFy. Our local station used to show them, occasionally. The last episode of that season, "On Thursday We Leave for Home" (starring Mr. Miracle-Gro, James Whitmore, and Matthew Broderick's dad, James) was just brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 31701/02/2014

It's difficult to watch some of these episodes without thinking of the parodies on "The Simpsons" Halloween episodes.

by Anonymousreply 31801/02/2014

[quote] (and also the friendly neighbor who can help pull your daughter back from another dimension in "Little Girl Lost")

Aw, I missed it. I haven't seen it for years and I wanted to see if I remembered it correctly. In my memory, the neighbor comes over and completely covers the walls of the room with higher mathematical equations and says, "Well..... I'm no expert, but..."

No, you're no expert. Just the average suburban neighbor ...

by Anonymousreply 31901/02/2014

I don't have time to watch the Twilight Zone...I'm too busy watching the Mister Ed marathon.

by Anonymousreply 32001/02/2014

R320 = Sarah Jessica Parker

by Anonymousreply 32101/02/2014

"Her voice was good enough for that American classic but not TZ?"

Her voice was dubbed for technical reasons, not because it wasn't "good enough"

Read the Twilight Zone guide by Marc Scott Zicree, it explains the technical issues

by Anonymousreply 32201/02/2014

[quote]The last episode of that season, "On Thursday We Leave for Home" (starring Mr. Miracle-Gro, James Whitmore, and Matthew Broderick's dad, James) was just brilliant.

Brilliant isn't the word. It's truly a masterpiece in my opinion.

[quote]Her voice was good enough for that American classic but not TZ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it did seem as though in a couple of scenes in that episode, they actually did use the little girl's voice and not the dubbed-over one. Or was that not the case?

by Anonymousreply 32301/02/2014

Badham's voice was dubbed during the parents/pool scenes. Her real voice was used in the Aunt T. scenes.

by Anonymousreply 32401/03/2014

[quote]There was noise interference on the MGM back-lot during the pool sequences, and everyone had to be called back for post-dubbing, but actress Mary Badham wasn't available. June Foray was brought in to dub her lines. It was a "sloppy" job, and Rod Serling knew it. It was held until the very end of the season as the "final" show (where, it was figured, most people wouldn't notice, having tuned out of the series).

by Anonymousreply 32501/03/2014

Today's schedule: t Five Characters In Search Of An Exit 08:30 AM t Nick Of Time 09:00 AM t Night Of The Meek 09:30 AM t Kick The Can 10:00 AM t Where Is Everybody 10:30 AM t

It's A Good Life 11:00 AM t Dead Man's Shoes 11:30 AM t The Hitch-hiker 12:00 PM tt The Dummy 12:30 PM t Third From The Sun 01:00 PM t The Invaders 01:30 PM tt The Bewitchin' Pool 02:00 PM tt The Masks 02:30 PM tt The Howling Man 03:00 PM t The Odyssey Of Flight 33 03:30 PM tt Living Doll 04:00 PM tt The Obsolete Man 04:30 PM t Eye Of The Beholder 05:00 PM t The Twilight Zone t Time Enough At Last 05:30 PM tt A Stop At Willoughby 06:00 PM tt The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street 06:30 PM tt To Serve Man 07:00 PM tt Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up 07:30 PM t Nightmare At 20,000 Feet 08:00 PM t t

The Midnight Sun 12:40 AM t

Night Call 01:10 AM tt I Sing The Body Electric 01:40 AM t

A Penny For Your Thoughts 02:10 AM t Number Twelve Looks Just Like You 02:40 AM t

Stopover In A Quiet Town 03:10 AM t

A Most Unusual Camera 03:40 AM t Long Distance Call 04:10 AM

by Anonymousreply 32607/04/2014

And please, just not the one with Buster Keaton. That was a true embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 32707/04/2014

"Night of the Meek" with Art Carney as Santa Claus at 9:00 a.m. Not one of my favorites as it is on videotape and had a sappy, half-assed script.

by Anonymousreply 32807/04/2014

OMG, thank you, R326!! I forgot about TZ on Syfy today! Thanks again!

by Anonymousreply 32907/04/2014

At 10:00 am Eastern, "Where Is Everybody?" with Earl Holliman. This was the very first episode of the series, broadcast on October 2, 1959.

by Anonymousreply 33007/04/2014

Where is Everbody?

by Anonymousreply 33107/04/2014

Dl fave "It's a Good Life" is next. It's a DL fave because it's a DLers dream. A petulant boy controls an entire town through magic powers which he uses to make others suffer. All live in fear of him.

by Anonymousreply 33207/04/2014

Young Earl Holliman was a cutie

by Anonymousreply 33307/04/2014

I used to watch the marathons, but now I'd rather just watch it on Netflix, with no commercials or editing.

by Anonymousreply 33407/04/2014

What network is showing the marathon?

by Anonymousreply 33507/04/2014

SyFy, R335. They do it on 4th of July and New Year's Eve/Day.

by Anonymousreply 33607/04/2014

SyFy, R335.

You're a bad fan for not knowing. A very bad fan.

by Anonymousreply 33707/04/2014

[quote] You're a bad fan for not knowing. A very bad fan.

Droll.

by Anonymousreply 33807/04/2014

[quote]Droll.

Keep it up, I see a cornfield in your future.

by Anonymousreply 33907/04/2014

The Hitch-Hiker is on soon! Love that one!

by Anonymousreply 34007/04/2014

Did Earl Holliman ever come out, or is he one of those "open secret" types?

by Anonymousreply 34107/04/2014

"Going my way?"

The Hitchhiker next.

by Anonymousreply 34207/04/2014

The Hitchhiker is a really scary one.

by Anonymousreply 34307/04/2014

The Hitchhiker is truly creepy. Inger's narrative is wonderful and adds so much to the melancholy, unsettling tone of the story.

by Anonymousreply 34407/04/2014

He was beckoning me. BECKONING ME!

by Anonymousreply 34507/04/2014

DId she just say she's "refrigerated by fear" ??!?

by Anonymousreply 34607/04/2014

DAMN! I missed it's a good life ep. BUT Inger is making me forget my regret.

by Anonymousreply 34707/04/2014

"The Dummy" is on now, another eerie one.

by Anonymousreply 34807/04/2014

Up next at 1:00 Eastern: "The Invaders - DL fave Agnes Moorhead silently fighting off tiny aliens"

Don't say I didn't give you adequate warning!

by Anonymousreply 34907/04/2014

It's only on until 8 tonight. Syfy I think now tends to abbreviate the July 4th marathon and saves the really big TZ blowout for New Year's.

by Anonymousreply 35007/04/2014

[quote]At 10:00 am Eastern, "Where Is Everybody?" with Earl Holliman. This was the very first episode of the series, broadcast on October 2, 1959.

And now the final episode is on: "The Bewitchin' Pool," originally broadcast on June 19, 1964.

by Anonymousreply 35107/04/2014

Next "The Bewitchin' Pool - Children escape divorcing parents by diving into pool at the other end of which is a benevolent paradise for kids"

One of, if not the worst, episode of The Twilight Zone. It was also the sad. As an earlier poster wrote, "Bewitchin' Pool should have ended with the two kids floating face down in the pool."

by Anonymousreply 35207/04/2014

I agree, R352, that that would have been one hell of an ending but probably a little too much for 1964.

by Anonymousreply 35307/04/2014

WTF is Scout's voice dubbed over?

by Anonymousreply 35407/04/2014

the sad = the last

by Anonymousreply 35507/04/2014

Did they dub over ALL of the actors in this episode or just the little girl? They all sound like they have someone else's voice coming out of their mouths.

by Anonymousreply 35607/04/2014

It sounds like she's the only one because the other children sound like children while she sounds like a grown woman trying to sound like a child.

by Anonymousreply 35707/04/2014

R351 R355 Where are you located that the marathon is ending? How sad, like R352 said.

Here in New England it goes on until 8 pm. Classic eps are still ahead but not the one with the old man and his coon hound who went coon huntin' despite his old woman's protestations; that's my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 35807/04/2014

Now she sounds normal - When she's trying to get her brother to come back with her to their parents.

by Anonymousreply 35907/04/2014

R358, I wasn't referring to today's marathon, I was referring to the fact that the hideous "Bewitchin' Pool" was the final episode of the series.

by Anonymousreply 36007/04/2014

Duh - now I get it, you meant the last TZ show made, not the last of the episodes shown in today's marathon where you live. Apparently I need more coffee.

by Anonymousreply 36107/04/2014

R361, try some coffee and cak on me.

by Anonymousreply 36207/04/2014

Now "The Masks - Dying old man makes ungrateful relatives wear masks to reveal their true selves."

by Anonymousreply 36307/04/2014

The Masks, bitches! The Masks!

by Anonymousreply 36407/04/2014

If your dying relative made you wear a caftan to reveal your true self, what would it look like?

by Anonymousreply 36507/04/2014

Re: The Howling Man.

How does an imprisoned man get access to eyeliner?

by Anonymousreply 36607/04/2014

Yes, watching..poor Inger Stevens beside herself because this man keeps appearing as she drives across country. Hallmark Channel has all Christmas theme movies..I just love it.

by Anonymousreply 36707/04/2014

The dubbing of Mary Badham (Scout from "To Kill a Mockingbird") is discussed upthread.

by Anonymousreply 36807/04/2014

Do they ever show "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge?" I know it was not actually made by Rod Serling and Company (it was a French short that he purchased and edited/dubbed to show as a TZ episode), but do they include it in the syndication package?

I heard a radio adaptation of it yesterday on SiriusXM (with Victor Jory) and have always wanted to see the TZ/French filmed version.

by Anonymousreply 36907/04/2014

Just saw The Hitch Hiker awhile ago. That episode always creeps me out and fucks me up.

I'm hoping to see The Grave, with perpetual badass Lee Marvin. And When the Sky was Opened, another that seriously unsettled me.

by Anonymousreply 37007/04/2014

Yes! Now it's "Third from the Sun," the episode that racks up tension so high it's almost physically uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 37107/04/2014

You must be on the west coast, R371.

by Anonymousreply 37207/04/2014

What the fuck is it about SyFy and all the foot commercials?!

We've got gross ass Shaq & his nasty feet, the endless Dr Scholls spots and the weird commercial with the guy getting married barefoot and how he's proud of his feet! WTF?!

by Anonymousreply 37307/04/2014

Why thank you R362 - don't mind if I do! Mmmm...cak.

by Anonymousreply 37407/04/2014

Yes, I'm a Bay Arean R372. I assume our TZ schedule is a few hours behind yours?

by Anonymousreply 37507/04/2014

East Coast is seeing "Living Doll" with Telly Savalas.

by Anonymousreply 37607/04/2014

Season 3 Episode 19 The Hunt is the one with the old man and his coonhound, Rip.

The Grave sounds intriguing - I don't remember a Lee Marvin episode.

by Anonymousreply 37707/04/2014

*taking a long drag from an unfiltered cigarette*

by Anonymousreply 37807/04/2014

The Grave was a really creepy gem with a unique surprise ending, R377. Definitely a must-watch for any TZ fan.

by Anonymousreply 37907/04/2014

I've never seen "The Grave." Hopefully, it's on YT.

by Anonymousreply 38007/04/2014

Jesus! The guy playing the judge in the futuristic trial of the librarian was over the top BAD! "Mr WORDSWORTH Mr WORDSWORTH Mr WORDSWORTH!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 38107/04/2014

That was the excellent Fritz Weaver having a field day with that performance, R381.

by Anonymousreply 38207/04/2014

Here on the W. Coast, they're showing "The Invaders." This unusual episode is known for having no dialogue and music-scored by a young Jerry Goldsmith.

by Anonymousreply 38307/04/2014

I'm a legal secretary and total TZ junkie, so I found it cool that one of the lawyers I work for is a distant cousin of Rod Serling's. (That fun fact aside, however, he appears to have little to zero interest in TZ.)

by Anonymousreply 38407/04/2014

R382, he's so awful I'm close to changing the channel.

by Anonymousreply 38507/04/2014

Why would you say that, R382? He's just having scenery-chewing fun with this role. At the very least, you could hardly call it a boring performance.

by Anonymousreply 38607/04/2014

It's funny, in "The Invaders" some of the Jerry Goldsmith music reminds me a lot of the music in Segment 4 of "Twilight Zone: The Movie." It's obvious he referred to this score when scoring the monster on the wing of the plane.

by Anonymousreply 38707/04/2014

They just started "Eye of The Beholder" where I live.

by Anonymousreply 38807/04/2014

The most rousing, majestic Twilight Zone music of all time......

by Anonymousreply 38907/04/2014

Here in CA, they're now showing "The Bewitching Pool," the episode where the little girl has the weirdest, old-lady voice I've ever heard in a child actor.

by Anonymousreply 39007/04/2014

[quote]the little girl has the weirdest, old-lady voice I've ever heard in a child actor.

Didn't that actress later voice Rocky the Squirrel?

by Anonymousreply 39107/04/2014

Eye Of The Beholder - Pig people!

by Anonymousreply 39207/04/2014

I wouldn't be surprised, R391. Sorry to be spamtastic but I get so excited about these TZ's, it's seriously the most intelligent TV show in the past 50-something years of broadcasting. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

by Anonymousreply 39307/04/2014

Next: "Time Enough At Last - It's not fair! Burgess Meredith with glasses and without bitchy wife or asshole boss"

by Anonymousreply 39407/04/2014

Every time I see "Eye of the Beholder," I always think the hot guy who escorts her away at the end just seems so gay. Don't know who the actor was but that's the impression I always get watching that scene.

by Anonymousreply 39507/04/2014

R391 Yes it was June Foray dubbing in The Bewitchin ' Pool. In addition to Rocky, she created the voices of Cindy Lou Who and Natasha Fatale, among many iconic animated tv characters.

Natasha must already have at least one thread on DL. How could she NOT be a DL icon?!

by Anonymousreply 39607/04/2014

Nice! Here on the W. Coast they're showing "The Masks." It features the most colorful, interesting old coot of a character Rod Serling ever created. I LOVE the way the old man was ironically insulting his relatives and they were too far up their own assholes to realize it.

by Anonymousreply 39707/04/2014

I want to kill moose and squirrel.

by Anonymousreply 39807/04/2014

June Foray was also the voice of Talky Tina in Living Doll.

by Anonymousreply 39907/04/2014

I thought I recognized the voice, r399.

Would someone explain WHY she dubbed Scout's voice?

by Anonymousreply 40007/04/2014

Isn't there a Rocky & Bullwinkle Marathon every year on some holiday like Labor Day or maybe Turkey Day?

by Anonymousreply 40107/04/2014

According to the book Twilight Zone Companion, there were sound recording problems for the non Aunt T scenes. Combine that with Badham's thick accent and they had to loop her. NO explanation is provided as to why June Foray did the looping instead of Badham. The producer of the episode hated Betwitchin' Pool--thought the actress who played Aunt T played it "cute" instead of as an Earth Mother and blamed the director of the episode for laying it on thick with the cutesiness throughout the episode. Earl Hamner, Jr., who later created the Waltons, wrote this one as a reaction to family life he observed in Suburban California in the early 60s.

by Anonymousreply 40207/04/2014

"A Stop At Willoughby - Less hellish than an actual Metro-North commute"

Last stop...Willoughby

by Anonymousreply 40307/04/2014

"On Maple Street - Blackouts, Claude Akins (pre-Sensodyne) and Aliens prepping"

by Anonymousreply 40407/04/2014

They just showed "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street" and whose voice do I recognize? The little queen who played young Patrick Dennis in AUNTIE MAME in his only other imdb listed role

by Anonymousreply 40507/04/2014

The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street. It's still very applicable to the current United States.

by Anonymousreply 40607/04/2014

The "Monsters are due on Maple St." is a timeless cautionary tale that could apply to any human society.

by Anonymousreply 40707/04/2014

DL get ready! Next up is DL fave "To Serve Man".

IT'S A COOKBOOK!

by Anonymousreply 40807/04/2014

Monsters on Maple is actually the best episode in the series, IMO, due to how wholly the United States has fulfilled its prophecy.

by Anonymousreply 40907/04/2014

True story. In 1970 I was a Resident Advisor for incoming freshman residents in my college dorm. Yes I am old.

The only other RA in our very small dorm was there with me at a strategic location in the second floor hallway, waiting to great kids and parents who might ascend any of three access stairways from the outdoor street level.

It was deathly quiet and dull just sitting there so we lit up a hash pipe. We started commenting that it was surreal being back in this roll-up-the-sidewalks-at-4pm rural town. We were under the deluded impression that we were being witty and sophisticated, and one of us commented knowingly that this was EXACTLY like being in the Twilight Zone. Much laughter ensued.

Then the door at the far end of the building creaked slowly, heavily, and paused before slamming shut. We heard no voices - just slow steady footfalls on the steep stairway toward our floor. The high ceiling and linoleum floor in the big Victorian building magnified the deliberate footsteps. We watched in silence as the top of a dark haired head appeared above the top step. Then we saw the eyes. We looked at each other dumbfounded, then watched as the slight, tanned man in a black suit, narrow black tie, and white shirt emerged into view. No effing way - it could be no one other than Rod Serling.

We were still so stoned that the whole situation became more impossibly surreal than we could ever have hoped for.

Serliing's wife and daughter followed him, a few steps behind, and approached us - in silence - from the end of that long corridor. They were all tiny - petite, and very short. It was a letdown to realize that I towered over the guy and I 'm just average height. Then he opened his mouth.

The RA and I simultaneously began to collapse into agitated guffaws and had to work hard to achieve anything vaguely resembling RA composure.

His daughter was assigned to a different dorm, and didn't stay for a second semester. Too bad - it would have been interesting watching others react when they spotted Serling wandering around campus from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 41007/04/2014

MeTV shows TZ unedited every night. I always watch the Syfy TZ marathons but I hate how they've cut out so many scenes in the episodes.

by Anonymousreply 41107/04/2014

Amazing story, R410.

by Anonymousreply 41207/04/2014

Last stop...Willoughby!

by Anonymousreply 41307/04/2014

My favorite episode was the robotic nanny, "I sing the body electric" it was so emotional at the end. And, the episode with Billy Mumy..."You're a very bad man!" Also, the episode with Robert Redford where he plays the angel of death.

by Anonymousreply 41407/04/2014

Scariest was Talking Teena, and the episode where a girl turns into a doll.

by Anonymousreply 41507/04/2014

R415

Kisses doll.

by Anonymousreply 41607/04/2014

[quote]Dears Netflix has the entire series on streaming...

It's also on Hulu + and in HD!

by Anonymousreply 41707/04/2014

It's on Hulu non-plus too. Until 2016.

by Anonymousreply 41807/04/2014

I'm nonplussed, R418.

by Anonymousreply 41907/04/2014

haha R419.

by Anonymousreply 42007/04/2014

[quote]MeTV shows TZ unedited every night. I always watch the Syfy TZ marathons but I hate how they've cut out so many scenes in the episodes.

Sure glad the TZ marathon isn't on MeTV today, though, since MeTV has been blown out here in NYC since about Tuesday. I've already called Time Warner several times about it.

by Anonymousreply 42107/04/2014

"Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up - Which of the patrons of a roadside diner is an alien?"

SyFy is fucking up. Some of these episodes are clearly night episodes. There are day and night TZ episodes, and this one is clearly a night episode.

by Anonymousreply 42207/04/2014

They are not going by the schedule, I wanted to see the episode with Donna Douglas, because I never saw that before. Marathon ends at 6 pm in my area.

by Anonymousreply 42307/04/2014

For whatever it's worth, YouTube has many full episodes of the TZ, at any given time. Some get deleted but other people still upload more of it.

by Anonymousreply 42407/04/2014

Now we're getting "The Obsolete Man," with Fritz Weaver's entertaining, thundering, larger-than-life performance.

by Anonymousreply 42507/04/2014

This marathon should not end until midnight.

by Anonymousreply 42607/04/2014

r395 That sexy actor is Edson Stroll. He also played a crewmember, Virgil, on "McHale's Navy."

by Anonymousreply 42707/04/2014

Willoughby on now!

by Anonymousreply 42807/04/2014

The TZ marathon is back on. I was channel-surfing and caught the tail-end of "The Midnight Sun," which was the first episode on after that gladiator thing went off. The rest of the episodes are going to run to just after 4 a.m. I think.

by Anonymousreply 42907/05/2014

Thanks, r429.

by Anonymousreply 43007/05/2014

"Stopover in a Quiet Town" is one of the creepier TZ episodes. Disquiet, foreboding, isolation, yikes!

by Anonymousreply 43107/05/2014

Let's all meet back here again on New Year's Day!

by Anonymousreply 43207/05/2014

[quote]Let's all meet back here again on New Year's Day!

Will you be going...my way?

by Anonymousreply 43307/05/2014

New Year's Even marathon starts at 8 am tomorrow!

by Anonymousreply 43412/30/2014

I think that she, Gladys Cooper was on 2 episodes of TWILIGHT ZONE. The other being one where she's an elderly woman terrified that the Angel Of Death is coming for her so she holes up in her apartment. Then a wounded young policeman shows up begging for her help(Robert Redford).

On the episode (LINK BELOW) entitled NIGHT CALL, Cooper is an invalid who starts receiving prank calls each night after her nurses aide goes home. This was one of my favorites episodes.

by Anonymousreply 43512/30/2014

R435, the episode with a young Robert Redford (who looks as delicious as a young William Shatner in his episodes) was the excellent "Nothing In The Dark".

"Mother, give me your hand. ... You see. No shock. No engulfment. No tearing asunder. What you feared would come like an explosion is like a whisper. What you thought was the end is the beginning."

by Anonymousreply 43612/30/2014

I'm assuming that the post about Donna Douglas is referring to the episode 'Eye Of The Beholder' because that's one of the more famous episodes.

Douglas was also on another where she has 2 lines entitled 'Cavender Is Coming' or 'Cavendish Is Coming' where she played a sexy girl at a party. Carol Burnett was a young woman with a simple life who longed for excitement and she got to find out what would be entailed if she got her wish. I'm pretty sure the former was Douglas' first time on TZ; the two episodes being just a couple of years apart, the latter in '62 right before she was cast as 'Elly May' on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES.

by Anonymousreply 43712/30/2014

It's on!

by Anonymousreply 43812/31/2014

Please list the schedule.

by Anonymousreply 43912/31/2014

Geez, how lazy are you, R439?

by Anonymousreply 44012/31/2014

Below is the schedule. Unfortunately, SyFy made an error in their schedule linked by R440, and all the early morning January 1st and January 2nd listings have the date of the day before. The schedule below corrects that error. It's nice to see they're airing quite a few rarer episodes!

Dec 31 08:00 AM The Old Man In The Cave

Dec 31 08:30 AM Caesar And Me

Dec 31 09:00 AM The Last Flight

Dec 31 09:30 AM The Little People

Dec 31 10:00 AM Third From The Sun

Dec 31 10:30 AM Long Live Walter Jameson

Dec 31 11:00 AM A Piano In The House

Dec 31 11:30 AM Perchance To Dream

Dec 31 12:00 PM A Most Unusual Camera

Dec 31 12:30 PM The Arrival

Dec 31 01:00 PM A Thing About Machines

Dec 31 01:30 PM And When The Sky Was Opened

Dec 31 02:00 PM I Shot An Arrow Into The Air

Dec 31 02:30 PM Nick Of Time

Dec 31 03:00 PM Night Of The Meek

Dec 31 03:30 PM Number Twelve Looks Just Like You

Dec 31 04:00 PM What's In The Box

Dec 31 04:30 PM Walking Distance

Dec 31 05:00 PM A Hundred Yards Over The Rim

Dec 31 05:30 PM People Are Alike All Over

Dec 31 06:00 PM Probe 7 Over And Out

Dec 31 06:30 PM Stopover In A Quiet Town

Dec 31 07:00 PM A Game Of Pool

Dec 31 07:30 PM The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street

Dec 31 08:00 PM The Dummy

Dec 31 08:30 PM The Invaders

Dec 31 09:00 PM To Serve Man

Dec 31 09:30 PM Nightmare At 20,000 Feet

Dec 31 10:00 PM A Stop At Willoughby

Dec 31 10:30 PM The Hitch-hiker

Dec 31 11:00 PM Dead Man's Shoes

Dec 31 11:30 PM Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up

Dec 31 12:00 AM The Midnight Sun

Jan 1 12:30 AM The Obsolete Man

Jan 1 01:00 AM The After Hours

Jan 1 01:30 AM Night Call

Jan 1 02:00 AM The Lonely

Jan 1 02:30 AM King Nine Will Not Return

Jan 1 03:00 AM The Hunt

Jan 1 03:30 AM Mr. Denton On Doomsday

Jan 1 04:00 AM Uncle Simon

Jan 1 04:30 AM Two

Jan 1 06:00 AM I Dream Of Genie

Jan 1 07:00 AM Jess-belle

Jan 1 08:00 AM The Purple Testament

Jan 1 08:30 AM Mr. Bevis

Jan 1 09:00 AM The Rip Van Winkle Caper

Jan 1 09:30 AM Ring-a-ding Girl

Jan 1 10:00 AM Little Girl Lost

Jan 1 10:30 AM Hocus-pocus And Frisby

Jan 1 11:00 AM Escape Clause

Jan 1 11:30 AM The Prime Movers

Jan 1 12:00 PM Mr. Dingle, The Strong

Jan 1 12:30 PM One For The Angels

Jan 1 01:00 PM The Silence

Jan 1 01:30 PM The Sixteen-millimeter Shrine

Jan 1 02:00 PM Death's Head Revisited

Jan 1 02:30 PM It's A Good Life

Jan 1 03:00 PM A Nice Place To Visit

Jan 1 03:30 PM A Penny For Your Thoughts

Jan 1 04:00 PM Black Leather Jackets

Jan 1 04:30 PM Five Characters In Search Of An Exit

Jan 1 05:00 PM The Odyssey Of Flight 33

Jan 1 05:30 PM The 7th Is Made Up Of Phantoms

Jan 1 06:00 PM A Kind Of Stopwatch

Jan 1 06:30 PM The Bewitchin' Pool

Jan 1 07:00 PM Kick The Can

Jan 1 07:30 PM The Masks

Jan 1 08:00 PM I Sing The Body Electric

Jan 1 08:30 PM Living Doll

Jan 1 09:00 PM Time Enough At Last

Jan 1 09:30 PM Where Is Everybody

Jan 1 10:00 PM The Howling Man

Jan 1 10:30 PM Eye Of The Beholder

Jan 1 11:00 PM The Shelter

Jan 1 11:30 PM I Am The Night - Color Me Black

Jan 1 12:00 AM Long Distance Call

Jan 2 12:30 AM Judgement Night

Jan 2 01:00 AM Nightmare As A Child

Jan 2 01:30 AM The Grave

Jan 2 02:00 AM The Four Of Us Are Dying

Jan 2 02:30 AM A World Of His Own

Jan 2 03:00 AM In Praise Of Pip

Jan 2 03:30 AM The Fever

Jan 2 04:00 AM The Last Rights Of Jeff Myrtlebank

Jan 2 04:30 AM What You Need

Jan 2 05:00 AM The New Exhibit

by Anonymousreply 44112/31/2014

Rod Serling was certainly prophetic wasn't he? I just watched the one set in the future where everyone was transformed into a beauty losing all personality. He certainly saw the future of cosmetic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 44212/31/2014

Yonkers, Yonkers, Yonkers!

Fan dancers, fan dancers!

by Anonymousreply 44312/31/2014

I never knew Gig Young had been married to Elizabeth Montgomery. The things you find out when you look up Twilight Zone actors.

by Anonymousreply 44412/31/2014

Hi! Good to see all of you again. Has it been a year already?

by Anonymousreply 44512/31/2014

The rim.

by Anonymousreply 44612/31/2014

Currently watching a HHInternational marathon.

by Anonymousreply 44712/31/2014

I (East Coast) saw "Walking Distance" an hour or so ago; sobbed like a baby! Maybe 'cause parents are long-dead; not sure - VERY moving episode (about 3rd time I've seen over the years); Ronnie Howard! Gig Young! So sad he was tormented and died in murder-suicide with his wife. A really excellent actor.

Later tonight, ANOTHER favorite: "Willoughby." SO glad so many of you - of US - like these TZ marathons.

by Anonymousreply 44812/31/2014

Ronnie Howard wasn't in "Walking Distance."

by Anonymousreply 44912/31/2014

Whaaaaaaaat's in the boooooooooooox?!

by Anonymousreply 45012/31/2014

I always like to catch this one -

by Anonymousreply 45112/31/2014

[quote]R444

Wasn't a happy marriage. Her father was against it from the get go. He 'knew about' Gig; his reputation for being a drinker, moody as hell plus he was 20 years older than Elizabeth. Elizabeth at 23 already had one failed attempt at marriage under her belt. Gig had one also and he was widowed once as well.She went ahead and married him against her father's wishes and the two did not speak for several years.

Elizabeth found out the hard way. She was subjected to his drunkenness and saw how mean he was when he was drinking. He was also allegedly physically abusive. She however wouldn't acknowledge the problems to her family for some time. Saving face or whatever. Anyway, the two separated and divorced in 1963.

Elizabeth lucked out when her next big romance was with Bill Asher who had the well deserved reputation of being one of the nicest, most decent people in Hollywood. Asher, a producer would also produce his wife in her hit series Bewitched.

Gig would marry 2 more times. His next wife was Elaine Garber who once that marriage ended became a successful real estate agent in Beverly Hills. Poor Elaine was also the recipient of some bad plastic surgery. Then as most here are aware, years later in 1978 Gig committed a murder-suicide on his new bride who was only in her 20s I think. Gig being about 65 at the time. This tragic event played out at his pied-a-terre in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 45212/31/2014

They're about to show DL fave "The Monsters are Due on Maple Street".

by Anonymousreply 45312/31/2014

[quote]R453

Look for the late Amzie Strickland in the 'Maple Street' one.

Amzie was also the saleslady in the Don Loper Salon episode of I LOVE LUCY and one of her last gigs was on the GOLDEN GIRLS episode where Frieda Claxton dies after Rose tells her off at a hearing and the girls end up footing the bill for her funeral. Amzie was the only other person who showed up for the funeral and asked to speak a few words. She goes on about what a fine person the deceased was only to add "Celia Rubenstein was a friend to all of humanity..." which prompts Dorothy to yell, "WHO ? ?" Once she realizes that she's in the wrong viewing room and asks the girls if Claxton was the lady who lived over on such & such, she kicks the coffin !!

by Anonymousreply 45412/31/2014

R448 Thanks for sharing your thoughts; glad you're here with us.

Yeah, I was thinking about Gig Young too. Apparently he was cast in Blazing Saddles as The Kid. During filming (first day on set maybe?) of the scene in the jail cell where the Kid is suspended upside down talking to the sheriff , Gig started foaming at the mouth. An ambulance was called and eventually it became clear he was in alcohol withdrawal/detox trouble and wouldn't be returning to work. Mel Brooks called Gene Wilder and begged him to take over the role - ie, be there to film the following day. How fortunate that Wilder accepted.

That version of the Gig Young/Blazing Saddles story may well be urban legend or at least not entirely accurate. I know I can count on DL to correct my errors!

Did Gig do any other TZ eps? I

by Anonymousreply 45512/31/2014

No, Gig was in 1 episode only.

by Anonymousreply 45612/31/2014

The kid who played Patrick Dennis in the Roz Russell MAME is in that ep, IIRC, R453? I wonder if his film career ended there?

by Anonymousreply 45712/31/2014

Thanks for that, r454.

by Anonymousreply 45812/31/2014

Jan Handzlik (sic) became an attorney I think. He possessed that odd voice made me look up when I saw that episode years ago.

by Anonymousreply 45912/31/2014

Per R441 posted schedule

For all the dog lovers among us - The Hunt 1/1 3:00 AM It's one of my all time favorite TZ eps.

by Anonymousreply 46012/31/2014

Don't miss "The Hitch-hiker" with Inger Stevens.

by Anonymousreply 46112/31/2014

Not all of the episodes are good. Anne Francis whose 'After Hours' episode is a fan favorite was also in one called Jezze Belle where she was in need of a witch. Francis wore a black wig. The episode d r a g g e d. There's plenty of 'em that are less than memorable. One of the last ones made (in '64) called 'Bewitchin Pool' featured Mary Badham (Scout in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD) and a boy actor whose parents are always fighting and the two kids keep escaping into another world via the bottom of their pool so they can visit 'Aunt T'. Nauseating.

TRIVIA: Earl Hamner whose childhood in Appalachia was the basis for the hit tv series THE WALTONS also wrote a handful of TWILIGHT ZONE episodes.

by Anonymousreply 46212/31/2014

[quote] One of the last ones made (in '64) called 'Bewitchin Pool' featured Mary Badham (Scout in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD) and a boy actor whose parents are always fighting and the two kids keep escaping into another world via the bottom of their pool so they can visit 'Aunt T'. Nauseating.

Totally agree. It was the last one aired, if I recall. Worst Twilight Zone episode - EVER! I can't stand the hokey title, the accents of the kids or the old woman. I spit on it!

by Anonymousreply 46312/31/2014

[quote] For all the dog lovers among us - The Hunt 1/1 3:00 AM It's one of my all time favorite TZ eps.

Touching episode.

by Anonymousreply 46412/31/2014

"The Invaders - DL fave Agnes Moorhead silently fighting off tiny aliens"

by Anonymousreply 46512/31/2014

Rod Serling was a genius with the written word. Unfortunately he was a very troubled, unhappy man.

by Anonymousreply 46612/31/2014

R461, that's my favorite episode, tied with Mirror Image

by Anonymousreply 46712/31/2014

Jesus, I wanted to slap every last one of those people in "The Monsters are Due on Maple Street."

by Anonymousreply 46812/31/2014

R466, what was Sterling's problem? I don't know much about his personal life

by Anonymousreply 46912/31/2014

I like Matt Groening's take on "The Twilight Zone."

by Anonymousreply 47012/31/2014

I meant Serling not Sterling. Damn autocorrect

by Anonymousreply 47112/31/2014

R467, agreed! I didn't see Mirror Image on the schedule R441 posted, but it's easy enough to find on the Internet. I've been to that bus station in Ithaca. Love the high "creep factor" of both those episodes.

by Anonymousreply 47212/31/2014

I wish I was watching it, but hate the many, many commercials they usually show. :(

by Anonymousreply 47312/31/2014

I know a lot of people complain about bumped threads. But this is one I always look forward to.

by Anonymousreply 47412/31/2014

It's a...cookbook!

by Anonymousreply 47512/31/2014

Last stop Willoughby!

by Anonymousreply 47612/31/2014

I never heard that Rod Serling was a "very troubled, unhappy man." He certainly had trouble with his creativity being stymie, though. He wanted to be in control of the tv shows he was on, but was always clashing with executives who wanted to do things their way. Like his later show "Night Gallery", for example. He wanted to the segments to have some depth and originality, and the network wanted run of the mill monster stories. Even so, some of the segments of "Night Gallery" were as good as the best episodes of "The Twilight Zone." Serling was always under a lot of stress due to his constant push to see his work done the way he thought it should be done. He was also a heavy smoker. He died after heart surgery at the young age of 50.

by Anonymousreply 47712/31/2014

Going...my way?

by Anonymousreply 47812/31/2014

Why did Inger commit suicide?

by Anonymousreply 47912/31/2014

Inger had attempted suicide a handful of times before she succeeded in 1970. I do know that she had an unhappy childhood; had run away at 15 & become a showgirl, then NYC led to summer stock, commercials then she was 'discovered'. Inger was dating Burt Reynolds at the time of her death. She actually was married, had been for years but the husband was black & they kept it a secret. I'm certain that they had not lived together for years.

by Anonymousreply 48012/31/2014

Serling was very affected by what he saw in WWII. Many members of his platoon were killed and his friend was killed in front of him by a crate of supplies dropped by an Air Force plane. He also heard about and possibly saw atrocities committed by the Japanese while in the Philippines. He was Jewish and the Holocaust made no sense to him. That's why Twilight Zone often dealt with the subject of war and blindly accepted prejudice.

He was incensed by McCarthyism.

by Anonymousreply 48112/31/2014

R481, I know this seems ridiculous, but I had no idea Serling was Jewish. He looked and sounded so WASPy. That explains a lot about The Twilight Zone focusing on the horrors of war and prejudice.

by Anonymousreply 48212/31/2014

He was also 5'4" and wore lifts.

by Anonymousreply 48312/31/2014

Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up? is coming on. I like that one. Featuring bitchy character actor John Hoyt!

by Anonymousreply 48412/31/2014

He certainly was bitchy, R484.

by Anonymousreply 48512/31/2014

I think the next one is DL fave Lois Nettleton's turn as an artist in "The Midnight Sun," where Earth has left its orbit and is falling into the sun.

You'll never guess the twist ending!

by Anonymousreply 48612/31/2014

I love this marathon every year and love this thread also. Even the not so very good episodes bring back memories. Yes I am that old.

by Anonymousreply 48712/31/2014

one of my favorite episodes is on at midnight _ the midnight sun with the wonderful lois nettleton.

by Anonymousreply 48801/01/2015

The Monsters are due on Maple Street was an indictment of McCarthyism, no?

by Anonymousreply 48901/01/2015

It's feeling kinda hot in here, right?

by Anonymousreply 49001/01/2015

Yes, r489.

In 45 minutes: Anne Francis and the mysterious department store!

"Marsha... Marsha! Try to REMEMBER, Marsha!"

by Anonymousreply 49101/01/2015

I went to the same college with Rod Serling's daughter, Nan, in NY State. She was quite the campus slut.

I ran into Rod Serling and his wife on one of those parent's weekends at college, Rod was very short. His wife was chunky.

by Anonymousreply 49201/01/2015

R492, I remember your discussing encounters with Mr. Serling and his wife previously on either this thread or another. Please recount more.

by Anonymousreply 49301/01/2015

Well, R93: It all began in a 10 watt radio station in Fresno, California.

by Anonymousreply 49401/01/2015

There was always something sort of sexy about Rod Serling.

Given his political bent, I'm sure that a more modern Rod Serling would have been penning "The Eye of the Beholder"-style scripts about gay themes.

by Anonymousreply 49501/01/2015

Love the marathon!

by Anonymousreply 49601/01/2015

Night Gallery was darker, eerier, better written.

by Anonymousreply 49701/01/2015

You are obsolete!

Obsolete!

Obsolete!

by Anonymousreply 49801/01/2015

I love the Anne Francis department store episode... so eerie. And the actress who played the saleslady scared the crap out of me as a child. Her performance is still very effective.

by Anonymousreply 49901/01/2015

Marsha... climb off it dear

by Anonymousreply 50001/01/2015

R467 I liked Night Gallery better as well. Serling dictated his Twilight Zones scripts to his secretary while reclining poolside . So the scripts had the feeling of one big polemic at times. Rod Serling ran Twilight Zone so editing was limited.When he hosted and wrote for Night Gallery the producer was Jack Laird. Laird edited scripts including Serling's that seemed too one voiced.Serling was unhappy with that among other things on Night Gallery but the show really holds up.

by Anonymousreply 50101/01/2015

Speaking of "Night Gallery," I find it strange that they incorporated reruns of Gary Collins' short-lived supernatural series, "The Sixth Sense," (which ran on ABC) into the rerun cycle of "Gallery" (which ran on NBC). Maybe they had the same production company or something?

by Anonymousreply 50201/01/2015

Yes both were produced by Universal. Night Gallery was on NBC while Sixth Sense was on ABC.Sixth Sense was put into the Night Gallery syndication package so NG had the requisite amount of episodes to reach syndication.Adding insult to injury Universal padded the episodes with scenes from old movies as well. Thankfully the Night Gallery DVDs all have the intact episodes without tampering.

by Anonymousreply 50301/01/2015

Very interesting, R503. Thanks. It's people like you who make coming to DL still worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 50401/01/2015

I understand showing the "classic" episodes, but there are so many good ones that they rarely show period and the marathon would be the perfect time to showcase them. Although in this day and age, anyone really interested would just watch episodes they hadn't seen online or through Netflix, or just DVR them.

by Anonymousreply 50501/01/2015

R493 you might be remembering my story; I am not R492. I wrote about my Serling encounter in last year's TZ Marathon thread. Maybe in another thread too.. I also wrote about a funny creepy encounter with a Night Gallery prop at Universal Studios, years after the show ended.

I met Serling in NH at the college where his daughter Jodi was an incoming freshman. It was a funny scenario mostly because I was very stoned at the time. He, his wife and daughter were very gracious. They were also very short and of slight build. Jodi was a quiet, introverted girl who didn't stay at that school for a full year.

I enjoyed Night Gallery too but to me TZ and NG are like apples and oranges. TZ was a part of the still early commercial tv experimentation stage of evolution. There was still very limited programming, and the Cold War, Korean War, and WW II were recent, haunting memories. There were amazing creative voices writing for the still new medium of tv - some of whom really shaped the way folks internalized tv entertainment as a really novel personal in-home experience.

It spanned short theatrically staged dramas, low and high brow comedy, and innovative, fairly experimental showcases like Steve Allen's Tonight Show, Ernie Kovaks and Sid Caesar's shows.

And in the 50s tv began toying with the merging of great sci fi writing like Ray Bradbury gems with 50s reports of UFO sightings - that was a new genre and folks ate it up. Man, did it merge well with the lingering McCarthyism/Cold War overlay and mood of the era. Hell, we were having those nuclear war drills in our schools on a regular basis.

By the time Night Gallery was created tv had evolved so much - not least of which was color tv in a great many American homes, and a more sophisticated expectation from tv viewers who'd been exposed to a more diverse medium of tv programming and writing by then.

It's great there's such an archive of both shows available for such a Marathons as we're enjoying right now.

by Anonymousreply 50601/01/2015

Jeez - it's Kovacs not Kovaks! Stupid brain never remembers it correctly.

by Anonymousreply 50701/01/2015

"The Hunt" was just on. It's one of those sweet, gentle-natured episodes that brings a tear to the eye.

by Anonymousreply 50801/01/2015

[quote] that's my favorite episode, tied with Mirror Image

I thought I was the only one who loved "Mirror Image" - it's a TZ episode that rarely gets discussed but to me it's SO creepy and ominous.

There's another TZ episode about a parallel universe called "The Parallel", one of those hour-long episodes that rarely are shown, but it's just as eerie.

"And When The Sky Was Opened" is another really disturbing TZ episode.

Rod Serling seemed to like the theme of space exploration and how it could completely alter human life.

by Anonymousreply 50901/01/2015

Right now it's Connie Ford at her deliciously bombastic best: "Uncle Simon."

by Anonymousreply 51001/01/2015

Another of my lesser-known favorites is on now: "Ring-a-ding Girl."

by Anonymousreply 51101/01/2015

R511 Lesser known by who, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 51201/01/2015

Err..less known.

by Anonymousreply 51301/01/2015

Or "Err..lesser known TO..." and it should probably be whom not who in this case.

by Anonymousreply 51401/01/2015

R506 Much like Twilight Zone before it Night Gallery stuck out like a sore thumb. The Prisoner was arguably one of the first challenging/cerebral shows next to Twilight Zone.That came in the late Sixties and really defied the ITC formula. That was a very big game changer as well.By the time Night Gallery came around a paradigm shift did occur.Night Gallery continued Twilight Zone's pensive scifi stories albeit concentrating on horror. Supposedly the demos on Night Gallery(because of the horror content)were through the roof. HP Lovecraft was introduced to many through NG.

One more remarkable thing about Night Gallery were the production values. The sets,costume design and cinematography were arguably the best of its day on the small screen. No mean feat because of the anthology format with ever changing time periods and actors coming and going from each story. but producer Jack Laird knew how to squeeze that budget to make things look spectacular when the money was not that forthcoming from the studio.

by Anonymousreply 51501/01/2015

Why was a young, very handsome William Shatner married to a hag old enough to be his mother in the gremlin on the wing episode? I was very distracted by how old she looked sitting next to him.

by Anonymousreply 51601/01/2015

[quote] I was very distracted by how old she looked sitting next to him.

I...was...distracted...by that THING...on the WING! Did you see it, too!

by Anonymousreply 51701/01/2015

R515 great point about the innovative nature of The Prisoner. It pushed viewers into new territory.

That's a very intriguing observation about the climate for the subject matter of Twilight Zone and Night Gallery.

Serling had innovative peers at the outset of Twilight Zone and freewheeling geniuses like Ernie Kovacs doing mind blowing stuff that audiences hadn't seen before. Even where people resisted early Twilight Zone there were adult and kid sci fi fans and horror/fantasy fans hungry for it.

Great points about Night Gallery. At that point Serling was set up by some expectations that he couldn't succeed with such a post Twilight Zone project. In retrospect too, I can see how viewers had no great appreciation for the production values of the show.

by Anonymousreply 51801/01/2015

[quote] Dl fave "It's a Good Life" is next. It's a DL fave because it's a DLers dream. A petulant boy controls an entire town through magic powers which he uses to make others suffer. All live in fear of him.

by Anonymousreply 51901/01/2015

It's a Good Life must have had a profound effect on little Stephen King. So many aspects of the show turn up in his books. Cornfields, telekinesis, pyrokinesis, mindreading, a town cut off from the rest of the world, a child as the focus of evil, a leader with supernatural power, animals turned into monsters, animal abuse/killing, weather control, shapeshifting.

by Anonymousreply 52001/01/2015

R520, read R308.

by Anonymousreply 52101/01/2015

The Dick York (Bewitched) episode is on now where he can hear what people are thinking.

by Anonymousreply 52201/01/2015

"Black Leather Jackets", the second-worst episode next to odious "The Bewitchin' Pool" is about to start. This is the most dated and least "universal" of the episodes. I don't get why they show it every marathon.

by Anonymousreply 52301/01/2015

I remember they remade The Good Life back in the 80s. I think they also redid Kick the Can, about old people in a nursing home becoming kids again.

Those are the two I remember.

by Anonymousreply 52401/01/2015

Yeah, this leather jackets episode sucks...and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 52501/01/2015

The acting in the leather jacket one is atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 52601/01/2015

The classic "Five Characters In Search Of An Exit" is next. I wonder what the cast and crew thought of it once it was in the can?

by Anonymousreply 52701/01/2015

Is that the one with the clown and the soldier and the cowboy, etc? I won't give the surprise ending in case anyone hasn't seen that one.

by Anonymousreply 52801/01/2015

R528, yes.

by Anonymousreply 52901/01/2015

SyFy shows Twilight Zone on a regular basis during the week early in the morning. I have them recorded

they've shown some rare ones then.

by Anonymousreply 53001/01/2015

Could that clown be any queenier?

by Anonymousreply 53101/01/2015

[quote] Could that clown be any queenier?

No.

by Anonymousreply 53201/01/2015

Were homeless dolls popular with children in the 50s?

by Anonymousreply 53301/01/2015

Idlewild.

by Anonymousreply 53401/01/2015

I mean I can understand the ballerina and the clown and the military doll, but what child is looking to play with a skid row doll?

by Anonymousreply 53501/01/2015

Ah, yes, the days when pilots smoked at will, and the wall of their cabinet was merely pegboard.

by Anonymousreply 53601/01/2015

Actor Paul Comi, who appeared in several TZ episodes (including "The Odyssey of Flight 33," airing right now as I post this) is still alive and has appeared in the past at TZ fan conventions. He was quite the hottie back in the day:

by Anonymousreply 53701/01/2015

Paul Comi today (he will be 83 next month):

by Anonymousreply 53801/01/2015

Those earphones are large enough to conduct electroshock with!

by Anonymousreply 53901/01/2015

R538, still looks great. He has a Cary Grant quality to him.

by Anonymousreply 54001/01/2015

He looks pretty good R538.

The guy playing Captain Farver was the used car dealer salesman on Psycho.

by Anonymousreply 54101/01/2015

[quoe]The Dick York (Bewitched) episode is on now where he can hear what people are thinking.

Al Parker took the plot of that episode and made it into an early gay porn called "One in a Billion." (NSFW)

by Anonymousreply 54201/01/2015

Anyone know if they played Lee Marvin's badass episode, "The Grave" yet? That was always a creepy little gem.

by Anonymousreply 54301/01/2015

The horrid "The Bewitchin' Pool" is about to start. Kill it with fire! A grease fire! This is the time for all you boys and girls to get something to eat.

by Anonymousreply 54401/01/2015

R543, The Grave is tomorrow morning at 1:30.

by Anonymousreply 54501/01/2015

"A Kind of Stopwatch" was remade into "A Little Peace and Quiet" in the TZ revamp. I liked it better than the original.

by Anonymousreply 54601/01/2015

The 7th Is Made Up of Phantoms is about some modern-day military men somehow getting caught up in Custer's Last Stand. It's spooky.

by Anonymousreply 54701/01/2015

"The Long Morrow" is another unforgettable episode, not on the schedule. It stars Mariette Hartley and Robert Lansing. The story managed to be poignant without being sentimental.

by Anonymousreply 54801/01/2015

I'll never stop wondering WTF they dubbed over her voice.

by Anonymousreply 54901/01/2015

Why do they show that horrible Aunt Tee episode? Nobody wants to see it.

by Anonymousreply 55001/01/2015

R544 for some reason I found that weirdly massive cake the kids frosted and later dug into, somewhat obscene.

Maybe it sucked all that was wrong about the episode into its sugary maw. Or maybe it's simply that other than as a base or lower layer of a wedding cake, you just don't see a basic layer cake of those proportions.

It was as though the cake took on a life force of its own. (Maybe it was just my desperate attempt to focus on something other than the plot and TKAMB's Scout's creepy dubbed voice.)

That said, the film Matilda did proud by such a sinister type cake, making no pretense that it was motivated by anything other than vindictive intent.

by Anonymousreply 55101/01/2015

R550, they're showing it now. It's called "The Bewitchin' Pool". Danger! Avoid, Will Robinson! It's horrid.

by Anonymousreply 55201/01/2015

"The Bewitchin' Pool" was the last TZ episode to be broadcast.

by Anonymousreply 55301/01/2015

R548, I love that episode too. I really love the early scene where Mariette Hartley and the astronaut first meet and how he talks to her and seduces her into having dinner with him. Even the music played over the scene is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 55401/01/2015

Sounds like Rocky the squirrel

by Anonymousreply 55501/01/2015

R554, why did you link to this thread?

by Anonymousreply 55601/01/2015

If you guys think "The Betwichin Pool" is bad, I saw one of the last episodes of "Night Gallery" last week, and some guy was running around in a gorilla suit. It looked beyond fake.

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 55701/01/2015

A stupid mistake R556!

by Anonymousreply 55801/01/2015

Well link to what you meant to link to.

by Anonymousreply 55901/01/2015

As bad as "The Bewitchin' Pool" may be, I wouldn't remove it from the marathon only because bitching about it in our biannual TZ marathon thread has become part of the fun.

by Anonymousreply 56001/01/2015

Nah, that's ok, it doesn't really matter now R559.

by Anonymousreply 56101/01/2015

R554/R558/R561, you are obsolete!

by Anonymousreply 56201/01/2015

Two good ones on right now back to back:

Kick The Can and The Masks

by Anonymousreply 56301/01/2015

LOL R562! I'm honored to be insulted with one of my favorite TZ episodes.

by Anonymousreply 56401/01/2015

Did they play the one yet with the child who opens a mysterious door in his bedroom and ends up going to another dimension? It's been decades since I saw it, and I had a fever at the time (what mother lets a feverish kid watch TZ? lol).

Anyway, I seem to remember that they would hear the child's voice through the wall of his bedroom, and couldn't figure out where he had gone. I also have this memory of him them floating in orbit around the earth.

Did any of this happen in a particular episode? Or is the decades' old feverish memories of a child just bizarre nonsense?

by Anonymousreply 56501/01/2015

R565, that's "Little Girl Lost". They showed it this morning.

by Anonymousreply 56601/01/2015

Time for "The Masks"

[quote] Dying old man makes ungrateful relatives wear masks to reveal their true selves

by Anonymousreply 56701/01/2015

Thanks, R566! According to imdv, it is one of the best regarded episodes. Youtube has the full episode...will check that out tomorrow!

by Anonymousreply 56801/01/2015

Heehee, R562, was Fritz Weaver's extravagant, bellicose, scenery-chewing in that episode a lot of fun or what?

by Anonymousreply 56901/01/2015

"The Masks" features future "Laugh-In" resident queen Alan Sues!

by Anonymousreply 57001/01/2015

The dying father/grandfather looks like an older John Waters!

by Anonymousreply 57101/01/2015

R569, true and what a contrast to Burgess Meredith's cool, calm, calculating wisdom.

Weaver was also on another great TZ - Third From The Sun.

by Anonymousreply 57201/01/2015

The TZ episode "It's A GOOD Life" is based on the short story of the same name by Jerome Bixby. It really is one of the greatest short stories you'll ever read. In the story, it isn't specified that Anthony is a child at all; he's just this THING, this creature, who has the ability to create anything, destroy anything. He can read minds and he can show up anywhere, at any time. He's not human. When he was born the town of Peaksville was taken away from the world and floated in a "vast, endless grey nothingness like a soul." Either that, or Anthony had "destroyed the world, and left only the village, nobody knew which."

by Anonymousreply 57301/01/2015

It's Larry Tate!

by Anonymousreply 57401/01/2015

"The Masks" had the coolest old coot of a character Serling ever created. I loved the way he was giving his idiot relatives those backhanded insults....and they were too far up their own asses to even realize it at the time.

by Anonymousreply 57501/01/2015

The oldest daughter in "I Sing The Body Electric" looks familiar

by Anonymousreply 57601/01/2015

R576, I think it was Angela Cartwright, who later played Penny on "Lost in Space."

by Anonymousreply 57701/01/2015

I wish the Grandma robot would snap, and poison the family. This is just too saccheriney sweet. Yuck!

by Anonymousreply 57801/01/2015

It was Veronica Cartwright, R576.

by Anonymousreply 57901/01/2015

Oops, my bad -- R579 is correct. It was Veronica, not Angela.

by Anonymousreply 58001/01/2015

Too bad Talking Tiny wasn't Cristina Crawford's doll just so we could hear Joan Crawford tell her, "Talking Tina, do NOT fuck with me."

by Anonymousreply 58101/01/2015

Thanks r577 and r579

by Anonymousreply 58201/01/2015

The "Living Doll" episode with Telly Savalas is on now

by Anonymousreply 58301/01/2015

What kind of mother selects an abrasive, guido Telly Savalas and thinks "This man will make an excellent father?"

by Anonymousreply 58401/01/2015

R584, he was probably swinging a 10-inch dick the mother just couldn't get enough of!

by Anonymousreply 58501/01/2015

Am I wrong for wanting that doll to be destroyed?

by Anonymousreply 58601/01/2015

"My name is Talking Tina, R586. I think you would look good in a grease fire."

by Anonymousreply 58701/01/2015

We're going to need a new thread soon!

by Anonymousreply 58801/01/2015

r585, the mom looks like the type with her tight pants and tied up shirt.

by Anonymousreply 58901/01/2015

I usually mute the TV when commercials play but I do listen to the Geico one with Salt and Pepa.

by Anonymousreply 59001/01/2015

Burgess Meredith as Mr. Bemis!

by Anonymousreply 59101/01/2015

Yes, love the Salt N Pepa Geico commercial.

by Anonymousreply 59201/01/2015

What a Nazi cunt of a wife!

by Anonymousreply 59301/01/2015

First episode: "Where Is Everybody?" on now.

by Anonymousreply 59401/01/2015

Earl Holliman was handsome as a young man

by Anonymousreply 59501/01/2015

Gotta change the channel now: "The Howling Man" is next and I've never been able to sit through that episode. It's always been way too creepy for me.

by Anonymousreply 59601/01/2015

[quote]R570

Speaking of that episode 'THE MASKS':

The actor who played the dying father was Robert Keith. Two interesting things about him to note. One was that his son was Brian Keith of FAMILY AFFAIR, THE PARENT TRAP, HARDCASTLE & McCormick. The second bit of trivia is that he was once married to Peg Entwistle for a few years; that being her only marriage, Robert was married a handful of times. Entwistle is best remembered for her suicide. She was the 'failed' actress who jumped off of the original

H O L L Y W O O D L A N D

sign in 1932. Aside from Robert's ex-wife committing suicide so did his son as well as his granddaughter.

Now Brooke Hayward who played the vain, selfish, spoiled granddaughter in 'THE MASKS' was the daughter of recent post subject MARGARET SULLAVAN. SULLAVAN committed suicide on January 1, 1960 at the old Taft Hotel in New Haven, CT. SULLAVAN had 3 children with producer Lee Hayward, two of whom have also committed suicide. The first was Brooke's sister Bridget 50 years ago and then her brother Bill a few year's ago. The Fonda children were friends with the Hayward children, plus Henry was once married to Margaret Sullavan. Peter Fonda in particular had been close to Bridget Hayward and named his own daughter, actress Bridget Fonda after Brooke's sister.

by Anonymousreply 59701/01/2015

And on the w. coast they're playing "The Masks" at this moment. With that wonderfully grouchy old Robert Keith.

by Anonymousreply 59801/01/2015

New thread.

by Anonymousreply 59901/01/2015

[quote]R595

If you liked Holliman, how about Edson Stroll who was featured in two episodes ? Stroll was in 'Eye of The Beholder' where he is the young man who takes poor Janet (Donna Douglas) away to a place where other unfortunates live. On the other (I believe) called 'The Trade-Ins' he plays the rejuvenated version of the main man character.

by Anonymousreply 60001/01/2015
Need more help? Click Here.