Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Shame" 2011 film

Let's just discuss the film for those who have seen it. Was it really begging for an NC-17 rating?

by Anonymousreply 4305/29/2013

I don't see the NC-17 rating being appropriate at all. Why exactly? The sex is not that graphic. Sure, there's violence but nothing more than one can see anywhere. The only explanation is one see's Fassbender's dick, which is ridiculous.

I found the movie well done but the script pretty bad. Neither an emotionally satisfying nor an informative take on sexual addiction, nor an interesting character study; old hat in its use of violence as a consequence for unrestrained sexuality and its portrayal of a man unable to experience intimacy, arguably puritanical, and not particularly telling in the nexus of Brandon's shame and being an outright asshole to his wanton sexual behavior. Also his gay encounter is presented as a bottom, and I don't mean that he bottoms, I mean a bottom in his addiction.

Fassbender was, as always, guite good, but nothing to write home about. Mulligan touching. Nicole Beharie was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 112/28/2011

I will not watch this film until I can review screencaps of his cock.

Then I'll decide.

by Anonymousreply 212/28/2011

I liked it, but I think I had an entirely different read on it. There was nothing but the tone of the music on the soundtrack to indicate that this wasn't just a guy with a powerful sex drive whose was as reasonably happy with his life as any New Yorker until a few people tried to impose their more mainstream points of view of what happiness is onto him. Only when he tried to bend to their notions of normalcy did he truly become miserable.

by Anonymousreply 312/28/2011

R1 totally agree!

by Anonymousreply 412/28/2011

r3, I agree that the fact that he is sexually driven and doesn't want a relationship shouldn't, and really doesn't, mean he can't be reasonably happy and a perfectly reasonable person. But he's portrayed as a miserable fuck who is horribly mean to his sister, practices highly self-destructive behavior when he courts violence in the scene in the bar with the woman and her girlfriend, and ends up on the pier screaming. He's portrayed as a mean fuck. More to your point, nobody is really trying to turn him into anything other than he is. Sure he goes on a date with a lovely woman who is interested in him but she isn't trying to change him. And the fact that his sister wants a relationship with him shouldn't be confused with her not accepting him as anything other than who he is. She doesn't imply anything of the kind.

Frankly, I'm sick of movies about sexual excess where the script can't think of anywhere else to lead but violence. The movie is beautifully filmed and has a very fine cast, no doubt, but it is a shallow work on a topic in need of much more intelligent and perceptive exploration.

by Anonymousreply 512/29/2011

Having said all of that, r2, you will certainly not be disappointed with what Fassbender has between his legs.

by Anonymousreply 612/29/2011

WHERE ARE THE SCREENCAPS!!?!?

by Anonymousreply 712/29/2011

It is a very unhappy movie, that is very well done

by Anonymousreply 812/29/2011

So does he fuck or kill his sister at the end?

by Anonymousreply 912/29/2011

He also has a cute butt.

by Anonymousreply 1012/29/2011

No, r9.

Yes, r10, he does. Very!

R3, the title of the movie is "Shame," the guy had deepseated shame and as Carey Mulligan says to him, "we are not bad people, we just come from a bad place." Therefore, this is not a movie about a guy who is happy with himself until others imposed their views on him. And who exactly are these other people?

Frankly, it would have been a more interesting movie if it would have been about a reasonably happy highly sexed guy who tries to change himself merely to adapt to the world. But it would have been a very different movie. And it certainly wouldn't have been a telling movie about someone dealing with true shame and sex addiction as it intended to be, and not, in my mind, very successfully.

by Anonymousreply 1112/29/2011

What's the scoop on Fassbinder's cock? Small, average, or better than average? Cut or uncut?

by Anonymousreply 1212/29/2011

[quote]What's the scoop on Fassbinder's cock? Small, average, or better than average? Cut or uncut?

No one knows.

It's a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 1312/29/2011

Okay r13 smart ass. Let me rephrase the question. For those who have seen the film, what's the scoop on Fassbinder's cock? Small, average, or better than average? Cut or uncut?

by Anonymousreply 1412/29/2011

average, uncut.

by Anonymousreply 1512/29/2011

"average, uncut."

You'll find the shame is like the pain: you only feel it once.

by Anonymousreply 1612/29/2011

Thanks r15!

by Anonymousreply 1712/29/2011

[quote]Frankly, it would have been a more interesting movie if it would have been about a reasonably happy highly sexed guy who tries to change himself merely to adapt to the world.

A friend of mine said something, which I think is very true of American moviegoers: They know the kind of film they want to see before they see it. In other words, they decide based on reviews and such what they want from a film, and if the film is not what they want, they dismiss it.

To say that a different film would be a better film is completely meaningless.

If you want a different film, because this one doesn't tell the story that you would have wanted to see, then you'll have to make your own, or wait till someone makes the film that tells this same story from your point of view.

by Anonymousreply 1912/29/2011

I enjoyed young Brandon DeWilde. I see no reason why anyone would consider this worthy of anything but a "G" rating.

by Anonymousreply 2012/29/2011

r19, I didn't bring up, much less imagine, the possibility of the movie being on the terms described, someone else did. I was merely responding to that poster. And, as matter of fact, I didn't imagine the film on the terms that poster imagined, because the name of the film is "Shame." Therefore I did imagine a movie about a man with deepseated shame, which is exactly what the movie is. My criticism of the movie is not because it is a movie about a man with deepseated shame rather than something else, I was merely commenting that 1) as a film on its own terms, it didn't succeed for me for the reasons which I stated and am not going to repeat and 2) that it might, based on the fact that the poster, r3 was inclined to see the movie very differently (based on his viewing of it, not his preconceived notions), been a more interesting film if it had told the story r3 saw in it (which for the reasons I have already stated I don't see are supported by the film, and for the reasons I have already stated I had no preconceived notions that it was intended to portray before I saw the film).

by Anonymousreply 2112/31/2011

More opening dates:

1/13/2012 LOUISVILLE, KY Baxter 8, Louisville, KY

NEW ORLEANS, LA Canal Place Theatre, New Orleans, LA

LAS VEGAS, NV Village Square, Las Vegas, NV

1/20/2012 PORTLAND, ME Nickelodeon Cinemas, Portland, ME

LEXINGTON, KY Kentucky 2, Lexington, KY

KNOXVILLE, TN Downtown West Cinema, Knoxville, TN

CHARLESTON, SC Terrace Theatre, Charleston, SC

CHARLOTTE, NC Ballantyne Village Theatre, Charlotte, NC

MEMPHIS, TN Ridgeway Cinema, Memphis, TN

ALBUQUERQUE/SANTA FE, NM Devargas, Santa Fe, NM

TUSCON, AZ Loft Cinema, Tuscon, AZ

BEND, OR Pilot Butte, Bend, OR

by Anonymousreply 2201/04/2012

When does this go to Blu-ray?

by Anonymousreply 2301/04/2012

Does this movie take place in the church infested south? I dont get it - It is about sex- which is a great human experience but they named the movie Shame. Is this movie a Catholic driven movie?

by Anonymousreply 2401/04/2012

r24, are you making attempts at a failed joke?

by Anonymousreply 2501/04/2012

are there still not any cock shots out yet?

by Anonymousreply 2601/04/2012

Cockshots!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2701/17/2012

Finally I got to see it. I thought it should have been recognized more in the US.

by Anonymousreply 2801/30/2012

Scroll down for better cockshots!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2902/08/2012

Damn look at that thing move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3002/08/2012

Were Academy voters jealous at the size of his cock? Is that why he didn't get a nomination?

by Anonymousreply 3102/08/2012

Now we need one about a gay sex addict. One about a guy who spends all free time cruising Adam4Adam, Manhunt, Craigslist, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3202/08/2012

[quote]Now we need one about a gay sex addict. One about a guy who spends all free time cruising Adam4Adam, Manhunt, Craigslist, etc.

We already had it. It was called "Dawson's 50-Load Weekend."

by Anonymousreply 3302/08/2012

This film is on DVD now.

by Anonymousreply 3404/25/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 3504/27/2012

Overrated. If someone less handsome than Michael Fassbender didn't star in it, this movie would never get to be praised. Michael Fassbender charmed the critics, it was not the film that made the difference.

However, i found the scene in which Carey Mulligan is singing 'New York, New York' very touching. Her voice is certainly not that good, but she performed it in a very beautiful way. She is not exactly a bonny one, but she is a really great actress.

by Anonymousreply 3605/29/2013

He is a kinky man in real life too i bet.

by Anonymousreply 3705/29/2013

What was the deal with him and his sister? Did they used to have sex?

by Anonymousreply 3805/29/2013

Is this movie any good or is it a total waste of time? Is it on Netflix?

by Anonymousreply 3905/29/2013

One of the worst movies of last year. Overpraised like "Drive."

by Anonymousreply 4005/29/2013

R40, this movie is a very interesting film. However, at the end of it i felt it didn't amount to much. Michael Fassbender is very sexy in this one, really. But does only his sex appeal and his great acting recompense for the not so honest intentions of the script?

I will say it again, it's an overrated film. Michael Fassbender fascinated the critics, it was not the whole film.

by Anonymousreply 4105/29/2013

I was meaning R39

Sorry...

:)

by Anonymousreply 4205/29/2013

Great soundtrack

by Anonymousreply 4305/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.