Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Margaret"

Has anyone seen this movie in the East Village recently? I thought it was a very good movie and can see why it's on many top 20 lists for 2011. I can also see that the movie was probably not edited for final viewing by the director. I had read that this movie got caught up in litigation due to creative differences between director and Fox Searchlight. Too bad, it should be seen by a larger # of people. Much better than the very overrated "The Decendents", especially the performances.

by Anonymousreply 3307/07/2013

Amazing film that deserved better from the studio. Happy the critics have gone to bat for it, though. Really powerful and incredibly well-acted. Never thought Anna Paquin had a performance like this in her.

It's also a great New York film, and I think this will become the definitive post-9/11 movie. The Paquin character's slow breakdown as a result of a traumatic event rang really true to me.

I saw Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close not too long before watching this, and boy, what a phony, manipulative piece of crap that movie is compared to Margaret.

by Anonymousreply 112/28/2011

bump

by Anonymousreply 212/29/2011

Had it received more support, Anna Paquin and Jeannie Berlin would have been contenders for Oscar nominations.

by Anonymousreply 312/29/2011

Isn't this the film that was shelved for years for some reason also starring Matt Damon?

by Anonymousreply 412/30/2011

R3 agreed. I would say Pacquin would be a lock for a nomination and Berlin and J Cameron considered for supporting nods. Excellent cast.

by Anonymousreply 512/30/2011

Why was it shelved?

by Anonymousreply 601/03/2012

[quote]Why was it shelved?

I think it was actually completed in 2005 but the director kept changing his mind about how he wanted the final edit to be. It sat on a shelf for around 5 years until Martin Scorsese agreed to help edit the film. It got a quick release in the fall and went to VOD. However, after some incredibly good word of mouth and the movie appearing on a few best of lists for 2011 Sony Pictures Classics decided to launch a Oscar campaign for it and sent out screeners for the movie last week.

by Anonymousreply 701/03/2012

I was explaining this movie to a co-worker today after seeing it in the Village last week. I could not believe the depths of my description of events that took place in this movie. Rarely have I found myself looking so deeply into the human emotions and relationships in a movie. For me, that alone tells me how brilliant this movie was. A bit long for sure, but worth it, imo.

by Anonymousreply 801/03/2012

I'm watching it right now.

by Anonymousreply 912/02/2012

Kenny Lonergan is a maddening person. That's why it sat on a shelf for years.

And did he mention that he's best friends with Matthew Broderick? 700 times?

by Anonymousreply 1012/02/2012

It's an amazing movie - like nothing I've ever seen. Broderick bailed his friend Lonergan out with the money to finish it.

by Anonymousreply 1112/02/2012

I am so surprised to see the positive reactions to this film. I watched about 15 minutes and gave up on it--it was awful.

by Anonymousreply 1212/02/2012

How does The Damon Butt look in this film?

by Anonymousreply 1312/02/2012

Where can I see the 3 hr version?

by Anonymousreply 1412/02/2012

I didn't read the posts because I was afraid of spoilers.

I have the DVD and want to watch it tonight.

Should I watch the "theatrical version" or the "extended cut"?

by Anonymousreply 1506/24/2013

Excellent movie if a bit of a mess. The Allison Janney cameo is unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 1606/24/2013

I saw the short version. It's a very interesting movie. I normally find Anna P. somewhat insufferable but since her character is supposed to be somewhat insufferable in this, I found her really compelling.

I'd love to see the long version.

by Anonymousreply 1706/24/2013

Actually, I am a bit stressed out and unhappy about some things in my life right now. Maybe I should not watch this film. I also have DVDs of "Heaven Can Wait" (1943) and "Nothing Sacred" with Carole Lombard. Should I watch one of those instead? I want to watch Margaret but don't think I can take a depressing/screaming film tonight. Going through a lot right now.

by Anonymousreply 1806/24/2013

He couldn't end his self-annointed masterpiece. I was so glad when mother and daughter finally got to the opera. But then...........he still didn't end the movie, it just stopped with 'a moment'.

Drugs are bad (but this movie was quite good). Allison Janney does good corpse! The teacher picking up the student for fucking right by the Ramble was a nice touch. You could tell Matt Damon was uncomfortable with that ridiculous plot twist.

by Anonymousreply 1906/24/2013

Carrie?

by Anonymousreply 2006/24/2013

J. Smith Cameron (Kenneth Lonergan's wife) is really wonderful in this movie and so is Jeannie Berlin.

I disagreed with Lonergan including a shot of the rejected boy crying after he has a phone conversation with Lisa in which it's made sort of clear she isn't interested in him.

Was the extra footage that made it a three hour movie the stuff to do with what she tells Matt Damon and the other teacher late in the film?

by Anonymousreply 2106/24/2013

bump for a wonderful film.

by Anonymousreply 2207/06/2013

Any reports on how the Damon Butt looks in this film?

by Anonymousreply 2307/06/2013

I saw the 2.5 hour version and wished at least 30 additional minutes of it had been trimmed.

I hated the shrill, self-righteous older woman who was Allison Janney's best friend. I kept hoping a bus would hit HER.

by Anonymousreply 2407/06/2013

OMG, thank all of you for this thread, for bumping this thread that I never saw before. I thought I was alone (among my friends) for liking - LOVING this film which I've seen 7, 8 times on cable. I didn't know there was a 3-hour version? GUess I've seen the 2-1/2 hour one. It is a bit - sprawling? , and Lonergan is maddening, I suppose (though better as an actor than I thought he'd be), but overall a superb film. I wonder if Paquin has ever done better work. And Alison Janney: OMFG. Superb. What a "love letter" to NYC, that film was. The opening in slo-mo, the score, EVERYthing.

Only thing I didn't think was that - compelling - the Jean Reno character.

Anyone agree? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 2507/06/2013

R25, would you by an chance happen to be a fan of "Margaret"? I wasn't quite certain based on your post.

by Anonymousreply 2607/06/2013

Was that really necessary, r26?

by Anonymousreply 2707/06/2013

Yeah, R25, STFU. There are so few movies to be enthusiastic about these days. This movie connects with people.

I hope you enjoy The Lone Ranger this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 2807/06/2013

Anna's been a great actress since The Piano, R1. Not sure why you're surprised about her performance in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 2907/06/2013

R28, what the fuck are you talking about? R25 is praising the film. Weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 3007/06/2013

Sorry, R30, I meant R26.

You may resume calling others "weirdo" now.

by Anonymousreply 3107/07/2013

Someone told me this was inspired by a skit on Little Britain. I don't understand how this could be fleshed out to a feature film.

by Anonymousreply 3207/07/2013

[quote] And Alison Janney: OMFG.

Yes, not since Rachel McAdams in Mean Girls has being hit by a bus been portrayed with such nuance.

by Anonymousreply 3307/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.