Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Watching Auntie Mame on TCM

Wow, that kid is a TERRIBLE actor. I mean, I've seen the movie countless times, but every time, I'm dumbstruck by how that kid could have been cast. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 166Last Tuesday at 10:08 PM

That kid, as you called him, was Jan Handzlik. Grew up to become a partner in Kirkland & Ellis, the law firm. Reputedly hung like a stallion.

by Anonymousreply 112/25/2011

He uses the Push Your Lips Out And Blink Really Fast method

by Anonymousreply 212/25/2011

Is that a method of acting, or something akin to the iron butterfly?

by Anonymousreply 312/25/2011

You could practically write a book about what a bad actor he is...

He's just [italic]Ghastly{/italic]!!

by Anonymousreply 412/25/2011

Ooops[/italic]

What a ghastly mistake.

by Anonymousreply 512/25/2011

The woman who plays Pegeen grew up to be a wealthy NYC grande dame.

by Anonymousreply 612/25/2011

He grew up to be a 'mo, right? I mean he must have been flaming in the womb.

by Anonymousreply 712/25/2011

Had to be somebody's kid or nephew. Miss Russell really had to Act to convey affection for that little twerp. Wonderful movie though, from times never to be seen again. Imagine the help paying the bills.

by Anonymousreply 812/25/2011

One of my favorite movies. Just love it...

by Anonymousreply 912/25/2011

Jan Handzlik suffered the same problem Patty MacCormack had when filming the role that made her famous. Both were absolutely perfectly cast age-wise when their respective shows opened on Broadway. By the time they set foot in front of film cameras they had outgrown their roles by a telling shade. They were a little too old and knowing and set in their ways. It didn't help that they had repeated their performances over 300 times to great acclaim.

by Anonymousreply 1112/25/2011

DVRed it to watch later. Can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 1212/25/2011

Dears Netflix has it on streaming

by Anonymousreply 1312/25/2011

Never got the Roz Russel love for her portrayal of Mame. So over the top and playing to the balcony as to be ludicrous.

by Anonymousreply 1412/25/2011

Still not as putrid as her portrayal of Madame Rose, r14!

by Anonymousreply 1512/25/2011

Sandra Bernhardt would have been great in this role a decade or two ago

by Anonymousreply 1612/25/2011

Jan made much better use of his life. See link.

I was just thinking last night how I wish I could be Auntie Mame and completely redo my home when the whim struck.

I adore the art deco one and her use of the perfect art deco colors.

by Anonymousreply 1812/25/2011

I believe the Netflix version is not in the correct aspect ratio. You miss lots of the detail in Mame's expansive apartment. It really needs to be seen widescreen.

by Anonymousreply 1912/25/2011

R18, maybe YOU should read your own link

by Anonymousreply 2012/25/2011

That is one of my all time favorite movies - I probably watch it several times a year - in fact the dvd is in my mac as we speak, I was watching it in bed a few nights ago. I always loved the kid who played him and thought he did a good job - I quote lines from that movie to myself all the time - IDK, I just love it that's probably clouding my judgement of the actor.

by Anonymousreply 2112/25/2011

He married Ann-Margret, R22.

by Anonymousreply 2312/25/2011

Just what kind of name *is* Pegene?

by Anonymousreply 2412/25/2011

Oddly, Patrick Dennis used his real son's name for Patrick's son, but named his wife Pegeen, whereas she was actually named Louise. Well, he was actually Ed, so maybe he thought that he owed her the same courtesy.

by Anonymousreply 2512/25/2011

It's Pegeen. And I think it's like the old Gaelic pronunciation of Peggy.

by Anonymousreply 2612/25/2011

That kid blinks too much.

by Anonymousreply 2712/25/2011

R13, thank you, just watched it again. Love it! Rosalind Russel is a goddess.

by Anonymousreply 2812/25/2011

I don't remember the kid in that movie being a bad actor. Now the kid in the Lucille Ball version of "Mame" was truly awful. But he was just one more bad thing in a really, really bad movie.

by Anonymousreply 2912/25/2011

People complain about the Lucy version, but this really isn't much better.

The film is overlong and could have used a good editor. Not to mention that icky late fifties tecnicolor glaze slopped on. There are scenes that are just ghastly to watch.

Plus it's late period Russell. You watch and wonder how such a vibrant earlier career could turn so dull. She's hoarse in voice and half asses it. Fifteen years prior, she would have knocked it out of the ballpark.

by Anonymousreply 3012/25/2011

Child, how can you see with all that LIGHT?

by Anonymousreply 3112/25/2011

It mostly suffers from having been a successful play and often still seems stage-bound and ponderous and overly calculated.

Had MGM bought the original book in the early 50s and had Howard Hawks or George Cukor direct a fresh screenplay by, say, Anita Loos with a younger Roz it could have been brilliant....with a cameo by Tallulah as Vera!

by Anonymousreply 3212/25/2011

If frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their asses on the ground, r32.

by Anonymousreply 3312/25/2011

The catch with these stage-bound screen transfers is that movie audiences WANTED to see the play that was a smash hit on Broadway. They didn't want it re-imagined. People who never set foot in NYC were made well aware of Broadway's biggest hits in those days. People everywhere in the USA knew that Roz Russell was the ultimate Mame Dennis long before the film appeared.

Lawrence and Lee, the authors of the stage play, felt that they were passed over for the screenwriting assignment because they had implored the producers to keep AUNTIE MAME running on Broadway after Russell left it. Roz wanted so badly to be the ONLY actress to play the role on Broadway she planted items with NY columnists speculating that the show would close and never tour when she left it to make the movie.

by Anonymousreply 3512/25/2011

This is on some channel on HDNET on my parent's DISH TV. Guess Turner owns this too?

Only watched it once before on netflix on my laptop once before but really love that I managed to catch it on the widescreen.

Personally I like the stage aspect and have trouble imagining this movie without those transitions. The OTT acting of everyone also adds to the stage aspect so I don't see it taking away anything at all.

BTW, what are you talking about r32? The book didn't come out until 1955. How was MGM supposed to buy it in the early '50s?

by Anonymousreply 3612/26/2011

Another vote for not getting the Roz-love for this.

The movie is a bore, and Russell is so bad and over the top it makes you wonder why she was a respected actress.

I actually think she's much better as Mama Rose than she is as Auntie Mame.

by Anonymousreply 3712/26/2011

[quote]WHET to the guy who played the kid grown up?

by Anonymousreply 3812/26/2011

The movie is wonderful. You sour old cunts wouldn't find joy or whimsy or enjoyment if Mame Dennis, herself, shot glitter up your puckered asses. Well, maybe then you would.

No, seriously, it could be a better movie but there is some fun in it. It was just rather tired and stale by the time they got it to the screen. You could sort of tell that Roz had DONE the part so much and for so long that it was rather mechanical.

BTW, Roz sprained her ankle on the first take! When she flounces down the stairs for her first entrance, she kreeled her ankle and they had to delay filming ANY of her scenes for a few weeks until it healed.

by Anonymousreply 3912/26/2011

Roz' performance which was skywritten across the screen it was so broad and fake made Lucy's take on MAME seem subtle and refined in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 4012/26/2011

I like Russell in this. She dominates every scene, and her over-the-top performance isn't out of line with the character. (Compare her gruesome turn in "Picnic," where she's supposed to be a real person.) There's not a lot of subtlety in the movie, anyway; it's all broad comedy. The few attempts the movie makes at sincerity are hard to watch.

by Anonymousreply 4112/26/2011

It's a pity that Peggy Cass's (only decent) performance doesn't seem to have worn all that well.

The revoltingly maudlin attempts at sincerity were largely marred by Jan Handzlik's presence.

by Anonymousreply 4212/26/2011

[quote]The revoltingly maudlin attempts at sincerity were largely marred by Jan Handzlik's presence.

Not his presence -- his blinking. That's what saved it from treacle.

by Anonymousreply 4312/26/2011

Seems the poor kid was made to wear contac lenses and no one noticied or cared...

by Anonymousreply 4412/26/2011

Do we KNOW that the kid had to wear contact lenses? (I'm assuming that "contac" was a typo, and that they didn't put cold medicines in his eyes.) Or did they just hire a kid because he happened to resemble a younger version of Roger Smith, and fail to notice the blepharospasm?

by Anonymousreply 4512/26/2011

Well,aren't we a bitch? Yes I didn't type perfectly but I just assumed he was wearing contact lensenses that didn't agree with him.

by Anonymousreply 4612/26/2011

I think you've established your literacy with that one, R46.

by Anonymousreply 4712/26/2011

The movie is an utter joy from beginning to end. Russell embodies the character perfectly. There could not be a better match of actress and role. You can hardly say the performance is over the top when the character herself is over the top. Russell got it just right. As Robert Osborne said, Roz Russell came close to winning an Oscar on several occasions, but never closer than with this movie.

And whoever said Sandra Bernhardt would be good in this ought to have your head examined. There is nothing humane or kind or lovable about Sandra Bernhardt. Or whimsical, for that matter. She'd have played her as a sour old bitch.

Bette Midler could have done the part at one time. She should have done this instead of her ill-conceived GYPSY for television.

by Anonymousreply 4812/26/2011

[quote]Bette Midler could have done the part at one time.

Mame is the embodiment of WASP entitlement gone bohemian. Midler is the wrong ethnic type altogether and yes, it matters.

by Anonymousreply 4912/26/2011

In reality, Mame was Catholic. At least, Patrick was.

by Anonymousreply 5012/26/2011

Doris Day should have starred in MAME, the musical movie. I wonder if she was even offered the role?

by Anonymousreply 5112/26/2011

I may be wrong, R50, but where in the Mame books is it indicated that Patrick is Catholic? Norah Muldoon is Irish Catholic but that is considered part of her character as a member of the lowly servant class. The real "Patrick Dennis" was not Catholic and I am surprised to hear that he intended either Mame of Patrick to be so.

by Anonymousreply 5212/26/2011

Mame and her family was Irish -- very rich, but Irish. Thus the tension with the banker made worse by the bohemian bits. Yet originally, he went in expecting trouble because of her name, and complimented her on being "reasonable" as opposed to the shrill bi-polarism or sunny cunning most WASPs expected from the Irish.

Although following their first meeting, Mame proved to be the latter...

by Anonymousreply 5312/26/2011

Edward (dba Patrick) and Louise raised their kids to be observant Catholics. It didn't take, but nevertheless......

by Anonymousreply 5412/26/2011

"That kid, as you called him, was Jan Handzlik."

"As you call him?"

Are you implying that young Patrick was a 40 year old dwarf?

by Anonymousreply 5512/26/2011

I knew there would be a thread on this! Watched it on Christmas Eve on TCM and then again on HDNet last night.

Nothing to add, really, except that Henry Brandon (Acacius Page) was a hot daddy. And Joanna Barnes really had that Locust Valley lockjaw down to a T.

by Anonymousreply 5612/26/2011

Hindsight is everything.

One must realize that when Roz made the film, most of the world had never heard of a character named Auntie Mame.

What may seem a stale, mechanical, cartoonish and predictable performance to many of us now, was really quite electrifying and even shockingly hilarious to most audiences at the time the movie premiered.

by Anonymousreply 5712/26/2011

Patrick Dennis' daughter Betsy Tanner was the technical director (in charge of building the sets) at Manhattan Theatre Club for years.

And yes, she is a lovely lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 5812/26/2011

[quote]One must realize that when Roz made the film, most of the world had never heard of a character named Auntie Mame.

Except for those who purchased or borrowed one of the over two million copies of the novel that were printed in 1955-56.

by Anonymousreply 5912/26/2011

Apparently Patrick Dennis became a butler for a family and for years they had no idea who he was? What a bizarre story.

by Anonymousreply 6012/26/2011

Except 2 or even 4 million people are small peanuts compared to the rest of the population of the US, not to mention the world, first being exposed to Mame Dennis in the film.

by Anonymousreply 6112/26/2011

Roz's over-the-top performance seemed to me to be pushed by the extreme staginess of the entire production. Everyone else was playing to the rafters. The only chance she had as Mame was to deliver a performance that went through the ceiling.

by Anonymousreply 6212/26/2011

Not just a family, R60. The Ray Krocs, of MacDonald's.

by Anonymousreply 6312/26/2011

"Nothing to add, really, except that Henry Brandon (Acacius Page) was a hot daddy."

Indeed he was, and what could be more wholesome or natural?

by Anonymousreply 6412/26/2011

[italic]Like[/italic] Gin? Why, I [italic]adore[/italic] it!!

by Anonymousreply 6512/26/2011

Jan Handzlik at a Twilight Zone convention in 2002 (he appeared in an episode)

by Anonymousreply 6612/26/2011

Joanna Barnes looks great to be heading toward 80.

by Anonymousreply 6712/26/2011

Joanna looks [italic]really top drawer[/italic]!

by Anonymousreply 6812/26/2011

I was acquainted with Joanna Barnes briefly in the late 1970s, and she was terrific. Very funny. She wrote a novel called "The Deceivers" in the mid-70s that was a roman a clef take-down of Hollywood - it's pretty good. Very amusing and rather sexually frank for the time.

I think she's written several other books since then.

by Anonymousreply 6912/26/2011

The weirdest thing was the stage-like transitions between scenes -- the set would fade to black except for a spotlight on Rosalind Russell, who would then hold a pose for one... two... seconds. Then they'd cut and start the next scene.

by Anonymousreply 7012/26/2011

Well, don't blame the fucking scene transitions on Roz!

by Anonymousreply 7112/26/2011

[quote]The weirdest thing was the stage-like transitions between scenes -- the set would fade to black except for a spotlight on Rosalind Russell, who would then hold a pose for one... two... seconds. Then they'd cut and start the next scene.

In some ways, they remind me of the weird transitions in the movie version of MEREDITH WILLSON'S THE MUSIC MAN.

Could it be a coincidence that both were directed by Morton Da Costa?

by Anonymousreply 7212/26/2011

It's about to start on TCM.

by Anonymousreply 7306/29/2013

It's always a blast to watch, thanks r73!

Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!

by Anonymousreply 7406/29/2013

I would kill to own the smoke-breathing dragon door, especially the way the eyes open and turn into peepholes.

by Anonymousreply 7506/30/2013

Just saw it again tonight and laughed out loud several times.

I also got my nine year old daughter to watch with me, and she enjoyed it, too.

by Anonymousreply 7606/30/2013

the kid had to basically play straight man to the entire cast. he did fine

by Anonymousreply 7706/30/2013

Patric Knowles as publisher Lindsay Woolsey was so adorably hot! Why didn't Mame run off with him?

by Anonymousreply 7806/30/2013

Forrest Tucker's legendary schlong can be clearly seen snaking its way down his riding jodhpurs in the fox-hunting scene. He dressed to his right.

I cant believe I'm the first poster to mention this observation in a thrice-bumped 78 post thread.

by Anonymousreply 7906/30/2013

I'd love to try pickled rattlesnake.

by Anonymousreply 8006/30/2013

^ It's pure pro-tee-in.

by Anonymousreply 8106/30/2013

As an 8 year old child I was so taken with the ever changing decor & Mame's fantastic outfits. Who knew! I was a queen in the making.

by Anonymousreply 8206/30/2013

I've forgotten, but was Roger Smith's claim to fame from having been in 77 SUNSET STRIP?

by Anonymousreply 8306/30/2013

R83 Roger Smith's claim to fame is being married to Ann-Margret.

by Anonymousreply 8406/30/2013

Bunny Bixler and I were in the semi-finals - the very semi-finals, mind you - of the ping-pong tournament at the club and this ghastly thing happened. We were both playing way over our heads and the score was 29-28. And we had this really terrific volley and I stepped back to get this really terrific shot. And I stepped on the ping-pong ball! I just squashed it to bits. And then Bunny and I ran to the closet of the game room to get another ping-pong ball and the closet was locked! Imagine? We had to call the whole thing off. Well, it was ghastly. Well, it was just ghastly!

by Anonymousreply 8506/30/2013

Claim to fame OTHER than marrying Ms Ann margaret??

by Anonymousreply 8606/30/2013

Roger Smith really made his whole life about being Mr. Ann-Margret. he was her manager and her Svengali.

by Anonymousreply 8706/30/2013

I find Russell's performance varies wildly in the movie. I always think she's hilarious in the scenes at Peckerwood when she's being bitchy with Sally Cato and when she's terrified of getting up on Meditation, and I also like her very much she first meets the Upsons in Connecticut:

MAME: "And you please call me Mame!"

DORIS UPSON: (delighted) "MAMIE!"

MAME: (appalled, trying vainly to correct her) "Uh... 'Mame'..."

But whenever she tries to show deep emotion she overacts, and she's such a phony in the last scene. She's also not very good in the "damned halo" scene before she meets Mr. Babcock.

But the movie is so much fun. Joanna Barnes walks away with the whole thing, of course (she stops the show in every scene she's in).

by Anonymousreply 8806/30/2013

My, what a [italic]stunning[/italic] apartment!

Books are awfully decorative, don't you think.

by Anonymousreply 8906/30/2013

Was Joanna Barnes in the original Broadway play of Auntie Mame?

Somehow, though she's outrageously over the top in the film, unlike Russell, Coral Browne and even Peggy Cass, her performance has not dated.

by Anonymousreply 9006/30/2013

[quote]Somehow, though she's outrageously over the top in the film, unlike Russell, Coral Browne and even Peggy Cass, her performance has not dated.

She had a really stylish, contemporary look, too.

by Anonymousreply 9106/30/2013

I thought Russell coaxed The Blues right out of the horn!

by Anonymousreply 9206/30/2013

Forrest walking the walk.

by Anonymousreply 9306/30/2013

Coral Browne was the best part of the film by far. I always thought the horse scenes in the South were tedious. Were they in the original play or were they added to "open up" the movie?

by Anonymousreply 9406/30/2013

Can you guess the secret ingredient? It's HONEY!

by Anonymousreply 9506/30/2013

I beg your pardon, r95

by Anonymousreply 9606/30/2013

Auntie Mame has never been revived on Broadway! I guess the musical Mame is too definitive now - the songs fit perfectly in the script, and Auntie Mame would feel incomplete without them.

by Anonymousreply 9706/30/2013

R96 STRAINED honey.

by Anonymousreply 9806/30/2013

Well, I take two cans of tuna fish and put them through the meat-grinder, then add clam juice and peanut butter. It's a recipe I cut out of Ladies Home Journal.

by Anonymousreply 9906/30/2013

There is a site I found once , that showed how old sets were re-used constantly, in the old studio days. It had pics showing how Mame's staircase had been used in so many WB movies, going back to the 30's , including many Bette Davis films. I think it changes 3-4 times, just in "Auntie Mame" itself.

by Anonymousreply 10007/01/2013

Actually, R97, I think most devotees of Auntie Mame would agree that the straight play is better than the musical. It is never revived because, properly done, it requires a large cast and a lavish budget for sets and especially costumes. The script itself is too thin to sustain the show without spectacle. (The musical's book is even thinner.) The enormous expense and the dated quality of the material would likely make an open run of the straight play a losing proposition.

by Anonymousreply 10107/01/2013

A losing proposition has hardly stopped anyone, r101, on Broadway or in life.

by Anonymousreply 10207/01/2013

Yes r94, the horse scenes were in the play. You'd be astounded by the fun of seeing the bucking mare Meditation as well as the 20 other horses galloping around the stage chasing the little fox each night.

I don't know how they did that back then. Much funnier than anything Coral Browne brought to the evening.

by Anonymousreply 10307/01/2013

[quote]You'd be astounded by the fun of seeing the bucking mare Meditation as well as the 20 other horses galloping around the stage chasing the little fox each night.

Bet the little fox was astounded by all that fun too.

by Anonymousreply 10407/01/2013

I think Auntie Mame is ripe for a movie remake, actually. I'd love to see it done without all the stagey, theatrical choices made for the original film.

I'm not sure who I'd cast, though. Meryl from 15 years ago might have been fun, but she's too old now and besides, she's lost her deftness with comedy in her old age.

by Anonymousreply 10507/01/2013

Lily Rabe IS your Auntie Mame!

by Anonymousreply 10607/01/2013

I had seen the movie originally on an old B&W TV. I loved it. Then when I saw it in color I loved it even more. Then when I finally saw it in widescreen, it was fantastic. Her apartment is fabulous. In the opening scene, if you saw it cropped you missed the lesbian couple among the guests. Both women wearing men's suits. During the fire, wind and air speech on her balcony the lesbian couple are just of to the right smiling and nodding in agreement with the over the top teacher.

by Anonymousreply 10707/01/2013

Peggy Cass said some howlers in the movie. She was 9 months pregnant and Auntie Mame said "Don't worry I'll take care of you." Agnes (her character) replied "I wish I had someone to take care of." Auntie Mame: "You will soon, dear, you will soon." The heavily pregnant Agnes upon hearing that she actually is married to the scamp O'Bannion: "I'm a bride!"

by Anonymousreply 10807/01/2013

I think Anne Hathaway would be marvelous in the title role of Auntie Mame

by Anonymousreply 10907/01/2013

They never remake good stuff like Mame.

by Anonymousreply 11007/01/2013

I just finished watching Auntie Mame tonight. Wonderful.

Was Absolutely Fabulous an adaptation of this?

by Anonymousreply 11112/21/2013

It's one of Roger Octopus' favorite movies.

by Anonymousreply 11212/21/2013

Just hilarious from beginning to end.

by Anonymousreply 11312/21/2013

Rosalind Russell gave the exact same performance years later in Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 11412/21/2013

Who to cast in a modern remake of "Auntie Mame"... well, if she needs to age from about 30 to about 60, it's easier to make someone look older than younger. So someone fairly attractive and in her thirties, or maybe early forties, which rules out terrific actresses like Helen Mirren and Jennifer Coolidge.

Could Sandra Bullock pull it off, or does she project too much humility? And I hate to admit this but Julia Roberts can project the big personality when she's on, but her good performances are so rare.

by Anonymousreply 11512/22/2013

Sandy B. with Melissa McCarthy as Gooch!

by Anonymousreply 11612/22/2013

R115 Mindy Kaeling, obviously.

Seriously, Minnie Driver would be perfect for that part.

by Anonymousreply 11712/22/2013

An Auntie Mame remake would be a disaster. Just consider Absolutely Fabulous as a dark adaptation of it and stop tempting the Gods.

by Anonymousreply 11812/22/2013

[quote]Sandy B. with Melissa McCarthy as Gooch!

This is not an anti-weight jab but the humor in Gooch is she is a mousey girl who comes out of a door eight months pregnant. McCarthy couldn't pull it off but I could see her as Mrs Upson.

by Anonymousreply 11912/22/2013

Mame is essentially a drag queen mixed up with a UES society lady/clotheshorse.

You need a cross between The Lady Chablis and Nan Kempner for the part.

by Anonymousreply 12012/22/2013

Considering what a disaster the remake of one of Roz's other classics was (The Women) they should just steer clear of re-doing Auntie Mame.

by Anonymousreply 12112/22/2013

[quote]Forrest Tucker's legendary schlong can be clearly seen snaking its way down his riding jodhpurs in the fox-hunting scene. He dressed to his right.

Bears repeating. It was definitely a "Hamm" caliber bulge.

by Anonymousreply 12212/22/2013

A musical remake of The Women with Dolores Gray and Ann Miller? Why, let's be sure to give all the musical numbers to June Allyson!

by Anonymousreply 12312/22/2013

r120 We need a young Joan Fontaine, and Gale Sondergaard for Vera.

by Anonymousreply 12412/23/2013

Why try to remake this. Some things can't be recreated. Just enjoy it for what it is.

I don't think young folks really appreciate the humor in this. It is very much a product of its time (1950s-1960s).

I don't mind the stagey quality of the film.

by Anonymousreply 12512/23/2013

This was recently on TCM.

by Anonymousreply 12612/29/2013

It's so LOUD.

by Anonymousreply 12712/29/2013

R93 - My goodness, I can see why he always called himself "Torrid Fucker".

by Anonymousreply 12909/28/2014

Always loved Connie Gilchrist.

by Anonymousreply 13009/28/2014

R83 Roger Smith starred as a detective on the show 77 Sunset Strip following appearances in other tv series of that era and some film roles. His costars were Efraim Zimbalist, Ed "Kookie" Burns, and Richard Long. The show was very popular and became iconic for all the young women salivating over him and teenybopper dreamboat, Kookie. Zimbalist was the older suave sophisticated sex interest.

Allegedly, Smith left the show due to a serious health problem and retired from acting around that time.

Eventually his life did become all about his wife's career, but in 1980 he was diagnosed with a very serious illness, myesthenia gravis, which interrupted his management of his wife's career. Supposedly that went into remission at some point. IDK if he resumed his role as manager of Ann-Margret's career. You have to hand it to them as a couple - illness, addiction, etc and they've stuck together for nearly 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 13109/28/2014

A teenage brunette Jan Handslik, still blinking and now squinting, on an excellent Twilight Zone ep.

by Anonymousreply 13209/28/2014

To really enjoy the film, you must have peanut butter, clam juice, and tuna fish canapés and honey daiquiris on hand.

by Anonymousreply 13309/28/2014

It starts at 3:45 pm on TCM. Ghastly!

by Anonymousreply 13402/21/2015

[quote]To really enjoy the film, you must have peanut butter, clam juice, and tuna fish canapés and honey daiquiris on hand.

I'll get a blood test.

by Anonymousreply 13502/21/2015

I love Connie Gilchrist as Nora Muldoon. Always played tough broads. Born in Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 13602/21/2015

Mame, how can you see with all that light?

by Anonymousreply 13702/21/2015

Joanna Barnes didn't have a big career, but she really gets everything she can out of her small part.

by Anonymousreply 13802/21/2015

Jan Handzlik today.

by Anonymousreply 13902/21/2015

It will stimulate his psyche and stir up his libido!

by Anonymousreply 14002/21/2015

Roger Smith is FAMOUS for "77 Sunset Strip."

Yes, he married A-M and became her manager, but it was then he virtually dropped off the public's radar (Do you recall reading anything of him in either capacity, other than when A-M took that terrible fall? No.).

I saw "Auntie Mame" in the movie theatre as a kid. I thought it was fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 14102/21/2015

Anyone insight into the life story of Patrick Dennis?

Born rich, married (but gay), wrote of the biggest bestsellers of his time . . . and ended up a butler for the founder of McDonald's?

by Anonymousreply 14202/21/2015

Gloria arrives!

by Anonymousreply 14302/21/2015

R142, Edward Everett Tanner, aka Patrick Dennis, was a bureaucrat at the UN, married and the father of two children. The success of Auntie Mame prompted him to come out of the closet and embark upon a short-lived but rather fabulously gay life. He split half his fortune with his ex-wife, who remained his friend.

Tanner moved to Mexico and eventually ran through the money he made off Auntie Mame and his other campy novels. Needing to work, he became a butler to a series of wealthy people. He was aided in this career by his exquisite taste, his flair for entertainment, and his ability to run an elegant household.

He wrote of how very much he enjoyed spending rich people's money for their pleasure and his. His only rule was that he would never work in NYC to prevent the embarrassing possibility of being forced to wait upon people he had known socially.

Joan Kroc of McDonald's fame was his last employer. She adored him and didn't learn he had been a famous author until after he left her service. His ex-wife took him back in and nursed him through the pancreatic cancer that killed him at age 55 in 1976.

by Anonymousreply 14402/21/2015

Gloria's monologue coming up!

by Anonymousreply 14502/21/2015

r25, do you remember Ed and Pegeen Fitzgerald?

by Anonymousreply 14602/21/2015

One of my top 10 fave flicks....can watch it over and over

by Anonymousreply 14702/21/2015

My father passed on.

by Anonymousreply 14802/21/2015

Gloria!

by Anonymousreply 14902/21/2015

Bunny

by Anonymousreply 15002/21/2015

Murial

by Anonymousreply 15102/21/2015

What's wrong with Muriel Puce?

by Anonymousreply 15202/21/2015

She's top drawer for sure! Absolutely Top Drawer

by Anonymousreply 15302/21/2015

Mums and Daddums and I went down to our place in Ft. Lauderdale. We have a place in Ft. Lauderdale.

by Anonymousreply 15402/21/2015

[quote]Meryl from 15 years ago might have been fun, but she's too old now...

It didn't stop her from portraying Julia Child from her mid 30s up until Julia became a senior citizen.

by Anonymousreply 15502/21/2015

Did anyone else catch the little post film commentary on "Auntie Mame" tonight, by TCM host Ben Mankiewicz? He talked about the different versions of "Mame" onstage and screen, and said the version with Lucille Ball was for t.v.! I don't care if he doesn't write his own script, that's simply an unacceptable mistake.

by Anonymousreply 15602/21/2015

Yes (156)...i caught it and thought WTF?? It really was bizarre and unacceptable...really weird actually

by Anonymousreply 15702/21/2015

This diary piece on Joan Collins as good as Auntie Mame. Maybe someone can create a new thread for it....

by Anonymousreply 15802/21/2015

[quote] bsaid the version with Lucille Ball was for t.v.!

It may as well have been.

by Anonymousreply 15902/21/2015

R158, here you go:

by Anonymousreply 16002/21/2015

Wonder how Bea Lillie played it on Broadway and in the West End? She must have made it into the ultimate camp experience.

You can see Greer Garson on an old What's My Line as the mystery guest star in a fabulous lame skirt creation and with a cigarette holder a foot long. She had just replaced Roz on Broadway and then Bea replaced her, closed the show and took it to London.

Charles Busch did two one-performance-only benefits of Auntie Mame in 1998 and 2003.

by Anonymousreply 16102/21/2015

Bea got off to a rocky start as Auntie Mame. Her speaking voice was so faint at times that people in the audience took to yelling "louder!" in the hopes of encouraging her to project.

Lillie was more of a musical revue performer than a disciplined stage actress. She worked in some of her trademark camp and physical comedy, but she is said to have been less effective in the role than her predecessors. She must have pulled herself together at some point for them to have sent her to London.

While we're on the subject, Greer Garson was said to have brought more subtlety to the character of Mame than Russell. Angela Lansbury later said words to the effect that Russell played Auntie Mame, the cartoon image, whereas she sought to play Mame Dennis, the woman.

by Anonymousreply 16202/21/2015

[161]: Thanks for the info, Just bought the Brit programme for Bea in A.M. and it surprised me that it played the Adelphi, a huge house.

by Anonymousreply 16302/22/2015

On now.

by Anonymousreply 164Last Tuesday at 8:55 PM

I actually like Jan Hanzlik. He does blink too much, and he has a strange over-precise way of speaking (which probably worked very well on stage), but one of my favorite moments in the whole film is when Mame tells him after the fox hunt she's going to marry Beau, and his first reaction is to look like he's about to cry.

by Anonymousreply 165Last Tuesday at 9:19 PM

Gloria Upson monologue coming up!

by Anonymousreply 166Last Tuesday at 10:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.