Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Things advertised on TV that work or don't.

I'm most curious about Flex Seal. Has anyone tried it? It sounds too good to be true.

by Anonymousreply 5006/13/2013

I saw a commercial recently for a foot scrubber that suctions onto the floor of a shower or the front wall of the bathtub.

It's marketed towards the elderly and for people who can't or do not wish to bothered with having to reach down to give their tootsies a thorough scrubbing. The spiny bristles that protrude from the top of the sole look like they'd feel invigorating or even ticklish.

It's dorky looking too. It looks like a big pink man-sized old lady house slipper stuck to the bathtub or shower.

by Anonymousreply 212/24/2011

Suction cups never work for me, otherwise I'd be willing to give R2's contraction a try.

by Anonymousreply 312/24/2011

That chopper thing is shit. I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond for twenty bucks. Worthless. Thankfully they took it back and gave me a refund.

by Anonymousreply 412/24/2011

I've bought a couple of things hat were advertised on TV, but I bought them in a store. They never last very long and worked only marginly. Never again.

by Anonymousreply 512/24/2011

The magic bullet is actually pretty good. I never use all the damn cups that came with it though. It's great for smoothies, or if I want to make one or two margeritas. Also Alfredo sauce and pesto.

by Anonymousreply 612/24/2011

Ped Egg works wonders for me.

Heel Tastic also works good.

by Anonymousreply 712/24/2011

R7, cool story about the woman who started the heel cream stuff. I'd google it but I'm on my phone now..

by Anonymousreply 812/24/2011

The ceramic knife is the real deal. It stays sharper way longer than a stainless steel knife. And the pealer that comes with the knife works well ... I used it today to peal a butternut squash and it worked like a charm.

by Anonymousreply 912/24/2011

As near as I can gather the only way Flex Seal would work would be if the propellant was industrial strength. I am basing that on the claims made in the commercial.

by Anonymousreply 1012/24/2011

Bells peal, r9. Vegetables are peeled.

by Anonymousreply 1112/24/2011

The Wonderfile is a gift from baby Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 1212/24/2011

The Ronco glass froster was, quite possibly, the most fetid pile ever to worm its way out of Ron Popeil's ass.

by Anonymousreply 1312/24/2011

My teen nephew was thrilled to get me "The Perfect Meatloaf Pan", as he knows I love to make meatloaf, and really only like practical gifts.

by Anonymousreply 1412/24/2011

Don't even think about buying a Shark Steam Mop. They're such a piece of crap that the cashier shook her head "No" at me before she scanned it and asked me if I was sure I wanted to buy it. I bought it, brought it home and tried it out, and took it back to the store the same day.

by Anonymousreply 1512/24/2011

My rule of thumb: never (again) buy anything advertised from 12 midnight to 6:00 am.

Bit once - that was foolish enough.

by Anonymousreply 1612/24/2011

Second for r15. I bought a Shark steam cleaner. I can spit out steam faster and with more force. I gave it to my roommate's sister as a housewarming gift.

by Anonymousreply 1712/24/2011

The problem with most of those products is those who shill them make their money on the shipping charges.

Some of the ideas are good, and if they invested just a little more in the design and materials, they'd have a good product they could market in stores.

by Anonymousreply 1812/24/2011

Eggies don't work.

by Anonymousreply 1912/24/2011

Eggies got terrible user reviews. Cleaning them up is a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 2012/24/2011

I would never buy any product with the Shark brand name. Some of them work for a short time, but they break quickly. They are shoddy products that are made to fall apart.

by Anonymousreply 2112/24/2011

[quote]Things advertised on TV that work or don't.

That would be *all* products.

by Anonymousreply 2212/24/2011

Magic Jack is the real deal ...very cheap way to get unlimited phone calls, and now you can keep your phone number, and no need to have a computer running anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2312/24/2011

I had one that shot an egg out of its shell. It worked, but it certainly wasn't worth it and it broke within a week.

Those wall hooks to hang paintings will not hang anything over about two ounces.

Magic hooks that Billy Mays used to sell were too unstable to hold anything.

The Swivel Sweeper gets a lot of nasty comments on here but it worked great for me.

by Anonymousreply 2412/24/2011

I love how those ads present the most mundane chores as a problem that has never been solved until the introduction of this gadget.

"Peeling hard-boiled eggs ... what a CHORE!"

"Try slicing a cucumber THE OLD-FASHIONED WAY!"

by Anonymousreply 2612/24/2011

I always get Magic Jack and Shake Weight confused, R23.

The one that builds your guns while preparing you for awesome handjobs is the one I like.

by Anonymousreply 2712/24/2011

Have you seen the Lexus December to Remember ads on teevee? Those things are awesome.

by Anonymousreply 2812/24/2011

by Anonymousreply 2912/24/2011

Magic Jack is for old people.

by Anonymousreply 3012/25/2011

The things that do work (as rare as that is) are just rip-offs of an existing product which will cost you less (or be higher quality for the same money) because they don't waste money on TV ads.

Want a ceramic knife? Get one from a reputable, long-standing culinary brand that doesn't need a fly-by-night business model and late-night infomercials. As seen on TV products don't need to be good because they're all owned through LLC's by wannabe con artists looking to take the money and run. They'll be long gone by the time you ask for a refund. They'll sell your credit card info without hesitation or bill you for subscriptions you didn't accept. If the handle on that ceramic knife breaks and you seriously injure yourself, good luck ever getting help with those bills; the company is an LLC and the owner has likely already declared bankruptcy anyway. At least with an established brand, you have a recourse if things go wrong.

by Anonymousreply 3112/25/2011

R11, "peal" bothers you, but you don't mind R3's willingness to try R2's contractions? Of course, I might not mind trying his contractions too, but his contraption scared me off.

by Anonymousreply 3212/25/2011

You whiny bitches don't know dick. I second the Wonder file> It organizes your entire desk then folds the whole thing into the size of a postage stamp! Brilliant

by Anonymousreply 3312/25/2011

"As Seen on TV" kiosks are at malls.

by Anonymousreply 3412/25/2011

R32 My typo was overloooked because I am the nice LA person.

by Anonymousreply 3512/25/2011

The Handy Dandy kitchen helper and Handy Dandy vacuum cleaner.

by Anonymousreply 3612/26/2011

Well, I got a set of the plastic inserts that jack up your sagging sofa, and they work fine!

by Anonymousreply 3712/26/2011

CLR bathroom cleaner really works well for cleaning showers. It seems to dissolve clogs too, and it's not toxic, it's active ingredient is lactic acid.

by Anonymousreply 3812/26/2011

The Micro Touch Trimmer is garbage. I ended up getting a Conair Trimmer that works much better (for nose & ears - not pubes!)

by Anonymousreply 3912/26/2011

lol @ r26. so very true.

by Anonymousreply 4012/26/2011

[quote] The magic bullet is actually pretty good.

For about a year, and then they break. I've owned two, and I used each one for protein shakes almost every day. Neither one lasted more than a year.

by Anonymousreply 4112/26/2011

No no looks like a burn-torture device

by Anonymousreply 4212/26/2011

In a mall close to where I live, there is a store called "As Seen On T.V.", that sells all of the surplus TV products. Every box has the "Made in China" label ( or warning). At one time you could open the boxes and see the goods were made from tincans and re-cycled too many times plastic. Buyer beware!

by Anonymousreply 4312/26/2011

R26, what amuses me most is how the actor demonstrating the old way of doing things before the miracle gadget was introduced always seems to be in the middle of an epileptic seizure.

by Anonymousreply 4412/27/2011

[quote]what amuses me most is how the actor demonstrating the old way of doing things before the miracle gadget was introduced always seems to be in the middle of an epileptic seizure.

"Peeling hard-boiled eggs...WHAT A CHORE!"

Cut to actress bent over a chopping board with eggshells everywhere, her face sweaty and hair drooping. With the egg in her hand, she rolls her eyes, sticks out her lower lip, and blows away a stray lock of hair that's fallen in her face: pffft!

by Anonymousreply 4512/27/2011

[quote]Cut to actress bent over a chopping board with eggshells everywhere, her face sweaty and hair drooping. With the egg in her hand, she rolls her eyes, sticks out her lower lip, and blows away a stray lock of hair that's fallen in her face: pffft!

HA! So true! But you forgot her exaggerated way of shaking her head "No!".

by Anonymousreply 4612/27/2011

The only thing that ever worked for me was the magnetic insoles that were advertised about 15 years ago. Love them! I bought about 15 pairs that I still have to this day.

The rest of the stuff advertised on TV is shit.

by Anonymousreply 4706/13/2013

The Turbo Cooker will indeed cook pasta without having water at a boil.

by Anonymousreply 4806/13/2013

Ceramic knife is shit. It chipped and eventually broke.

by Anonymousreply 4906/13/2013

I worked for the company that marketed the GT Xpress 101, and its later incarnation, the Xpress Redi-Set-Go. Cheap Chinese shit with God-knows-what fake Teflon that flakes off into the food.

But that's not the worst. Not only will you get hit with outrageous shipping costs but you'll get signed up for continuing shipments (and charges)--accessories, recipe pamphlets, etc.

The people who bought this crap were poor and usually ended up with overdraft fees due to the unexpected charges. Returns were difficult and the shipping and handling fees were not refunded.

The stories I could tell about that company...they also sold exercise videos and equipment: The Firm and Billy Blanks, all with the same unethical business practices.

by Anonymousreply 5006/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!