Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Folk Music

Any DLers into the folk music scene? Who are your favorites?

by Anonymousreply 5101/05/2013

PPM, and early Baez. The best folk music ever!

by Anonymousreply 112/24/2011

I got into The Weavers in college and still love them. Also: Odetta, early Joan Baez, and Guthrie. The Silly Sisters and Hazel Dickens as well.

by Anonymousreply 212/24/2011

English folk singer Kate Rusby is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 312/24/2011

Fairport Convention and their many in-shoots and offshoots.

Guy Clark and Nanci Griffith

John Gorka

The McGarrigle Clan and those in-shoots and offshoots

The Pogues and the Waterboys

Odetta

by Anonymousreply 412/24/2011

The Weavers, of course. Rent the wonderful documentary "Wasn't That a Time?", you'll enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 512/24/2011

I have a friend who is a folk singer.

by Anonymousreply 712/26/2011

I am not sure if I am an eldergay at 42 -- but I grew up listening to folk music and I like it very much.

by Anonymousreply 812/26/2011

Dave Alvin

Elizabeth Cotten (RIP)

John Prine

Stan Rogers (RIP)

by Anonymousreply 909/16/2012

Mainstream r'n'b tard @r6. I'm 26 and Folk is my fav music. Really like June Tabor, her anthology is awesome features a great version of Verdi Cries.

Beth Orton's 90s work like Trailer Park and Central Reservation are both awesome.

Kathryn Williams' Soul to Feet is one of my all time favorite songs.

by Anonymousreply 1009/16/2012

Pretty much all indie music- well US indie music, UK indie music is more Britpop - has really strong folk or Americana influences.

by Anonymousreply 1109/16/2012

Incredible String Band

Richard Thompson

John Martyn

Sandy Denny

by Anonymousreply 1209/16/2012

Eddie from Ohio and a Finnish group Loutima

by Anonymousreply 1309/16/2012

not really a folk fan, but this version of the First Time by PPM is one of my favorite pieces of music ever. It predated the Roberta Flack cover by 7 years

by Anonymousreply 1409/16/2012

I'm partial to Tom Paxton and Kris Kristofferson's stuff from several years ago.

Pete Seeger used to host a show called Rainbow Quest. If you look it up on YouTube, you can see a lot of old-timey classic folk artists perform their songs. He hosted artists with a wide range of styles, from Tom Paxton to Elizabeth Cotten to Johnny Cash to Brownie McGhee. That might give you a starting point to find out if you're partial to a certain type of folk music.

by Anonymousreply 1509/16/2012

Great thread so far!

I'd add Michael Peter Smith, singer-songwriter from Chicago. I've seen him perform at the No Exit Cafe in Rogers Park - he still performs there.

Among many other lovely songs, he wrote "The Dutchman", a wonderfully wistful song that Steve Goodman helped popularize. Check out the original, beautifully performed on Michael's tremendous album "Love Stories"...

by Anonymousreply 1609/16/2012

x

by Anonymousreply 1709/17/2012

Who did "Streets of London"?

by Anonymousreply 1809/17/2012

R18, Ralph McTell did "Streets of London".

I really enjoyed the late Bert Jansch's music as well as his fellow Pentangle guitarist John Renbourn's solo work, 'Sir John A Lot" is a great record as well as "The Lady and the Unicorn".

My fave folk bands were mostly British, Fairport Convention, Pentangle (who combined folk and jazz), Fotheringay and The Incredible String Band.

Donovan's early music was considered folk.

Loved Sandy Denny, it was so tragic the way she died.

I also make a point to see Richard Thompson perform every time he's in town. He can be a bit of an ass to his fans, but his music is fantastic. Many years ago, I attended a benefit concert where he was the special guest.

At the meet and greet he was acting stand-offish to some fans. He knew he'd be meeting the fans, not one person was hassling him re getting an autograph. The rumor was that he was annoyed that so many people were drinking in front of him, he'd been sober for a few years at that point.

by Anonymousreply 1909/17/2012

How could I forget the great late Nick Drake. Though, I didn't need to hear his ethereal music used in that Volkwagen ad!

I also enjoy Beth Orton and Cat Power, though I don't know if they'd be considered folk.

As far as American folk bands, Peter, Paul & Mary, The Mamas & the Papas and The Lovin' Spoonful.

by Anonymousreply 2009/17/2012

Folkface

by Anonymousreply 2109/17/2012

The best folk album, ever: Living with Ghosts, by Parry Griffin. Some of her cd's are more electric, but this is pure folk and features some of the best songwriting I've ever heard. it's stunning. Also check out Cliff Eberhardt. Catie Curtis (who's gay). Nanci Griffith. John Prine. Kacey Chambers.

by Anonymousreply 2209/17/2012

Oleta Adams

by Anonymousreply 2311/27/2012

Love Irish folk-Makem and Spain Bros., High Kings, Orla Fallon, the Chieftains, Christy Moore and especially the Dubliners.

Also loved old-tieey music-Mississippi John Hurt, New Lost City Ramblers.

by Anonymousreply 2411/27/2012

I like Little Peggy March

by Anonymousreply 2511/27/2012

[quote] I like Little Peggy March

That's nice, R25. But what does Little Peggy March have to do with folk music?

by Anonymousreply 2611/27/2012

r19, that VW ad really turned a lot of people on to Nick Drake (including me).

I love Karen Dalton, but she can be hard to listen to, especially if you tend to gravitate toward the lighter singers like Vashti Bunyan (whom I also love). Josephine Foster is another oddball one; great if you're in the mood.

Some of the older singers I love are Shirley Colllins and Davy Graham, especially their version of Boll Weevil.

by Anonymousreply 2711/27/2012

Modern folk indie rock is a great synergy of Dylan-esque folk and punk. Elliott Smith, Freelance Whales, Neutral Milk Hotel are all great examples for those who aren't familiar with this genre of music...

by Anonymousreply 2811/27/2012

Jose Gonzales is phenomenally good.

by Anonymousreply 2911/27/2012

He is amazing, R29. Joseph Arthur, Sun Kil Moon, Sufjan Stevens, and Alexi Murdoch are others that deserve a listen. Here's a Sun Kil Moon song I love...

by Anonymousreply 3011/27/2012

And here's an Elliott Smith song that is hauntingly perfect...

by Anonymousreply 3111/27/2012

Check out Mount Moriah. kind of hipstery folk, but not annoying.

by Anonymousreply 3211/28/2012

Does John Fahey qualify? Certainly a giant, whether he does or not.

by Anonymousreply 3311/28/2012

Nanci Griffith- I have seen her in concert four times- by far the best

by Anonymousreply 3411/28/2012

you can listen to live performances of Mount Moriah at link. They are very haunting and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 3511/28/2012

Another Nanci Griffith fan here. Growing up in Texas her music meant so much to me and still does. I was forunate to see her right before Ann Richards died and again recently. She is still touring but I understand she doesn't play guitar much due to a hand injury.

by Anonymousreply 3611/28/2012

Tom Rush

Fotheringay (a Sandy Denny offshoot)

Gordon Lightfoot

Pete Seeger

Joan Baez

John D. Loudermilk

by Anonymousreply 3711/28/2012

...and the late Nick Drake did melancholia better than any other human, I think.

by Anonymousreply 3811/28/2012

Fotheringay did a really great version of "The Way I Feel", which, IIRC, was written by Gordon Lightfoot.

by Anonymousreply 3911/28/2012

Another vote for Nanci Griffith, and one for Sandy Denny!

by Anonymousreply 4011/28/2012

Can anyone recommend some really good folk Christmas music?

by Anonymousreply 4112/16/2012

SANDY DENNY

FAIRPORT CONVENTION

THE STRAWBS

THE PENTANGLE

by Anonymousreply 4212/16/2012

[quote]Can anyone recommend some really good folk Christmas music?

Sandy Denny -- One Way Donkey Ride

by Anonymousreply 4312/16/2012

The Grateful Dead had many folk elements in their songs

'Ripple' is my favourite of their songs.

by Anonymousreply 4412/16/2012

Oysterband and Eliza Carthy

by Anonymousreply 4512/16/2012

Ray Lamontagne

by Anonymousreply 4612/16/2012

I agree with Ray LaMontagne...I love his song Jolene. I would add Bon Iver, The Lumineers, and The Avett Brothers. I'm not sure if they are technically folk, but that's where I would put them.

by Anonymousreply 4712/16/2012

Maggie Reilly. She is not only pop and soft rock but she is also folk. I love her!

by Anonymousreply 4812/16/2012

Nanci Griffith(seen her) Joan Baez(seen several times) Townes Van Zandt Steve Earle(seen several times) Woody Guthrie Emmylou Harris(seen her) Odetta PPM old school Bob Dylan if it counts(also seen several times)

just to name a few, and i'm 24 btw all those who think this is an eldergay thread

by Anonymousreply 4912/16/2012

R27, I love that album Shirley Collins and Davey Graham did together. Also love Shirley's No Roses album. It took me a while to get into Shirley's voice; it has this odd mildewy quality to it that takes some getting used to. No Roses was a great gateway, because the Fairport guys play on it and it's easier for a neophyte than the pipe-organ stuff with her sister, which I love now. The Murder of Maria Marten rocks.

by Anonymousreply 5012/16/2012

Jessica Pratt's self titled debut album is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 5101/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.