Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Black Christmas (1974)

I'm watching it for the first time to celebrate the holiday.

It's not as good as I had always heard. After the first murder it takes the killer forever to kill everyone else. The best thing about it is the POV camera work (very innovative for its time given the limitations on technology), and the resence of so many famous performers (why were they all in it?): Margot Kidder (much fun), John Saxon, Keir Dullea, Olivia Hussey, and (of all people) Andrea Martin.

by Anonymousreply 3712/25/2014

My husband and I watch it every Christmas. It's a little clunky, but fun.

by Anonymousreply 112/23/2011

Keir Dullea, gone tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 212/23/2011

It is always my Xmas eve treat along with a double billing of Silent Night, Deadly Night!

by Anonymousreply 312/23/2011

[quote]It's not as good as I had always heard.

by Anonymousreply 412/24/2011

Just finished watching.

No way was I gonna look at this at night!

Liked it more than I thought I would, and it was creepy.

Sadly, now I know where they got a lot of the plot for When a Stranger Calls.

by Anonymousreply 512/24/2011

Actually, "When a Stranger Calls" was based on a true story.

by Anonymousreply 612/24/2011

I never understood who the killer was supposed to be...was there a twist ending I didn't get? Or is it supposed to be a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 712/24/2011

It's brilliant, super creepy (especially with that ending) and ahead of its time. It seemed like it set the way for future slashers like the best of them all, Halloween.

I'll never watch the recent remake, but I wish there were more alternative Christmas films like this, can't think of many Xmas horrors. I seem to remember in childhood one with a Santa with a gun terrorizing a shopping mall.

And I agree with R3, the wonderfully trashy Silent Night, Deadly Night is also great to watch at this time.

by Anonymousreply 812/24/2011

I also didn't understand who the killer was, and why his name was important. Anyone care to explain it?

by Anonymousreply 912/24/2011

I watched the newer one when it first came out, on Xmas. T'was pretty good. I haven't seen the original but now I want to.

by Anonymousreply 1012/25/2011

You're not supposed to know who the killer was...that's part of what makes it so creepy.

by Anonymousreply 1112/25/2011

What did Billy do to the baby?

by Anonymousreply 1212/25/2011

Good movie, best if you saw it back in the days before it got over-hyped.

by Anonymousreply 1312/25/2011

"You can't rape a townie."

"Why don't you go stick your tongue in a light socket, maybe that'll give you a charge!"

by Anonymousreply 1412/25/2011

The telephone calls are scary and used 4 actors' voices, good sound editing. And this was the first film to use "the calls are coming from inside the house" device. Funny 70s outfits, hoopy Andrea Martin. Director Bob Clark & his son were killed on the PCH a few years back by an idiot going the wrong direction. His treacly, overrated "A Christmas Story" is shown countless times and this one is rarely shown. Also directed "Porky's" - people assume he's Canadian because his films were shot there and he attained his first success there, but he was American. Also Susan Clark who appeared in "Porky's" & "Webster" is not his sister.

by Anonymousreply 1512/25/2011

"Silent Night, Deadly Night" is the same movie as this, I think it was re-titled 2 times.

by Anonymousreply 1612/25/2011

Found out it isn't the same movie as this one, and it has only one name I recognize, Linnea Quigley the Scream Queen of the 80s. But I do think one of the titles for "Black Xmas" was "Silent Night, Deadly Night". . have to look on imdb.

by Anonymousreply 1712/25/2011

aka "Silent Night, Evil Night"

by Anonymousreply 1812/25/2011

bump for 2012 Holiday season!!!

by Anonymousreply 1912/02/2012

Yeah, it's too dated for me. The remake got horrible reviews, but when I finally saw it I didn't think it was that bad. I prefer it now. Andrea Martin returns, this time as the house mother.

I also like the remake of When A Stranger Calls better.

by Anonymousreply 2012/02/2012

Sacrilege, R20!

I love the original. Watch it every year. It's not quite Christmas without it.

by Anonymousreply 2112/02/2012

I was only 10 years old when this came out, and R rated horror movies were off limits in so many ways those vcrs, no cable, no dvds...the print ad was so creepy, which I believe was the victim in the rocking chair with the plastic bag wrapped around her head and a cat on her lap....

by Anonymousreply 2212/02/2012

"Black Christmas" is ok, but not the horror classic many make it out to be. There's an exploitation flick called "Silent Night, Bloody Night" from 1974 (but filmed in '72) that's much creepier and fun. Plus, it's got an appearance from Candy Darling.

by Anonymousreply 2312/02/2012

Watched it about 10 years ago with a friend. She had her door open because it was a balmy night. I asked her to close when the killers voice started on the phone. Sent chills through me. Very effective and creepy as hell. And horror films normally dont get to me.

by Anonymousreply 2412/02/2012

Is there a transcript of the phone calls online anywhere?Those were the scariest part but you couldn't understand much of what was actually being said in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 2512/02/2012

I'd like to stick my tongue up your pretty pussy, R14.

by Anonymousreply 2612/02/2012

Can someone confirm that the phone calls are "explained" in the re-make?

by Anonymousreply 2712/02/2012

I remember watching it when it premiered on network television on NBC's late movie on a Sunday night. Though heavily edited (I don't think I have ever seen it uncut) it scared the crap out of me.

by Anonymousreply 2812/02/2012

R27 - yes, the remake gives Billy's backstory. In the same way Rob Zombie's version of Halloween gives Michael's backstory. In either case, it wasn't entirely necessary.

by Anonymousreply 2912/02/2012

TCM aired Black Christmas 3 years ago, but I haven't seen it on TV since. They air the remake all the time.

by Anonymousreply 3012/02/2012

Really, R30? It's on every year where I live. Mind you, it's Canada.

by Anonymousreply 3112/02/2012

"Hoopy"? We're using Douglas Adams slang?

by Anonymousreply 3212/02/2012

Thanks, R29. Thought I was losing it.

by Anonymousreply 3312/02/2012

Just watched it for the second time.

One of the few truly creepy movies there is.

Especially the last 3 or 4 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 3412/25/2014

This movie is awesome and as soon as my boring ass partner and his mom go to sleep I'm popping it in the Blu ray player. We watched the shitty-yet fun remake last night for laughs. Man was Oliver Hudson going through a carb-phase or what?

by Anonymousreply 3512/25/2014

Classic scene - Margot Kidder yanking the chain of the police officer by telling him the exchange for the telephone number was "fellatio" and the clueless cop doesn't get it even when the other officer burst out laughing. Also shows how old the film is - telephone exchanges in the form or words hadn't been used since the 1960s. Way ahead of its time.

by Anonymousreply 3612/25/2014

This movie scared the shit out of me when I first saw it when it first came out. I think it was on HBO. Back in the day they had a really good selection of current movies and no parental controls. I never want to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 3712/25/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!