Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tony Randall & Jack Benny: gay or not gay?

What do you think?

by Anonymousreply 7109/18/2013

r1 made me laugh out loud.

Tony Randall had to be the gayest "straight" man in all of history.

by Anonymousreply 412/22/2011

"Yoooouuuuu...."

Peter Griffin to Tony Randall on Password.

Tony: "Actor?"

Peter: "YOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUU....."

Tony: "Tony?"

by Anonymousreply 512/22/2011

Johnny Carson was a guest on the Jack Benny Program in the early sixties.

During their opening routine, Johnny said that when he was an usher at NBC, and Jack was its biggest star, Johnny started to emulate Jack's mannerisms...his walk, his swinging arms, his folded arms...and it didn't work out so well when NBC decided to make Johnny an usherette instead of an usher.

So Jack's effeminate mannerisms were joked about while he was alive. Whether his mannerisms included taking it in the face is still unknown to the general public.

by Anonymousreply 712/22/2011

Both Randall and Benny were straight. Why would this be a subject for a poll, and why in the world would these two be linked, of all people?

Randall has been discussed repeatedly on the DL.

Benny played off the slightly fey persona, among other characteristics (miserliness, fussiness, vanity) of his stage character but was known to have an eye for the ladies. Mary Livingstone kept him on a short leash (as Lucille Ball said) after they were married.

by Anonymousreply 812/22/2011

Who knows ? It's been well documented that Lawrence Olivier had an affair with (ugh) Danny Kaye. Olivier was a stunner in his day (check 'Wuthering Heights'), Kaye, frankly was hideous looking. I digress. The point is, almost every mainstream star back then had a wife -whether or not he was gay, or not. So bottom line, we'll never really know. They're all dead, and anyone they may have slept with is too. Speculate all you want, it can never be proven anymore.

by Anonymousreply 912/22/2011

Young Tony Randall in MISTER PEEPERS is a wonderful discovery. He played the slightly overbearing history teacher who was best friend to Wally Cox. Randall had a gift for making obnoxious behavior endearing.

by Anonymousreply 1012/22/2011

I used to see TR all the time on the C train. He always got on at 68th St and CPW. He must've lived near there.

He was married to his first wife for 50 years, then married that 25 year old and had two kids before he died.

by Anonymousreply 1312/22/2011

Anyone can pretend to "have an eye for the ladies." Don't fall for that bullshit. Some of the greatest "hetero Lotharios" I've known were actually gay.

by Anonymousreply 1812/22/2011

I remember hearing somewhere that Tony Randall was at least bi, and made an obvious point of hitting on women just to throw people off the scent.

by Anonymousreply 1912/22/2011

bump

by Anonymousreply 2112/22/2011

[quote]Lawrence Olivier was truly bisexual and considered the two great loves of his life Vivian Leigh and Danny Kaye and claimed the two were a lot alike.

Now I'm imagining 'Gone With The Wind' and 'Streetcar Named Desire' with Danny Kaye in the Vivian Leigh roles.

by Anonymousreply 2212/26/2011

Peter Marshall: According to Tony Randall, "Every woman I've been intimate with in my life has been..." What? Paul Lynde: Bitterly disappointed

by Anonymousreply 2312/26/2011

When Tony Randall played Harold Hill in THE MUSIC MAN in summer stock (1977) he was a prick towards his leading lady, Linda Michele.

by Anonymousreply 2412/26/2011

If Benny had been gay, he lived in a time when people were very closeted. I'm not sure Jack would have had a national TV show in the 50's/60's had he been "out." "Cheap" and "Vane" are obvious character humor; It seems strange that he would have chosen to add the effeminate gestures and walk.

As far as his marriage to Mary Livingston,they were writing/acting partners on the show, so it's possible the marriage may have been a business arrangement.

Jack and Mary had one adopted daughter, so make what you will of that.

by Anonymousreply 2507/04/2012

Tony looks kinda cute in some of the old "What's My Line?" clips that I've been watching on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 2607/04/2012

Back in the days of vaudeville, his friends Willia Haines and others always referred to Jack as 'Mary' Benny.

by Anonymousreply 2707/17/2012

Jack Benny was Lucille Ball's next-door neighbor for many years. I remember reading that Mary insisted that Jack and she move to a modern apartment as they aged.

Lucy visited and was shocked and sad that Mary had the master bedroom while Jack was forced to sleep in what was known as the very small maid's room (they did not have a maid). Mary wore the pants in the marriage.

by Anonymousreply 2807/17/2012

Agreed, R10. Tony Randall even made Felix Unger almost lovable.

by Anonymousreply 3007/17/2012

Friend, now dead, knew Tony Randall but would never reveal to me if he was gay. I gather he was but it was very top secret.

Remember a fan magazine spread on him in the 1950s when he was rehearsing the dancing part of his role in a B'way musical (Oh! Captain--?). He was wearing only a pair of trunks and had a very hairy chest. Very hot to this 12 year old fey-fey.

by Anonymousreply 3107/18/2012

Jack Benny was outed in William Mann's book on Billy Haines. While in the Village in the 20s, Jack was part of the Cary Grant, Orry Kelley clique. When Billy's lover said Mary Benny's name, Billy would ask which one?

by Anonymousreply 3207/18/2012

In my opinion, Tony Randall was a gay man and I don't care if he had 12 wives. I think he was a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 3307/18/2012

William J. Mann, the author of Wisecracker: The Life and Times of William Haines says the Jack Benny was gay and that Haines and Benny knew each other from their time spent in the Village in New York prior to each moving to Hollywood. Haines was there first, but they appeared in a short talkie together.

by Anonymousreply 3407/18/2012

I don't care what anyone says, I think Randall was gay.

by Anonymousreply 3509/07/2012

I worked with Tony as well, and I don't think he was gay. In person, he didn't really give off a gay vibe. He was more of a patronizing, know-it-all type. He would lecture the cast about what they should be doing, meanwhile he couldn't remember his own lines.

I remember the day he brought his very pregnant new wife into rehearsal, and showed her off to the cast. She was his ex-intern, and maybe 50 years younger than him. It was disturbing.

I chatted with him about opera once, and then he became friendly to me, so he had a nice side as well.

by Anonymousreply 3609/07/2012

I've always heard that Randall was a pompous prick.

By contrast, Benny was one of the kindest, best-loved men in the entertainment industry.

by Anonymousreply 3709/07/2012

R34 I'm currently reading Wisecracker. The dirt on Benny was surprising, but you could have knocked me over with a feather when it comes to the claim about Caesar Romero!

by Anonymousreply 3809/07/2012

Young Tony Randall naked. He wasn't bad at all in his youth.

by Anonymousreply 3909/07/2012

A friend did summer stock with Tony Randall and Ann Bancroft in the 1950s or early 1960s. There was a scene where Ann had to give a payoff to Tony Randall. In rehearsal he would move upstage so she had to turn her back on the audience to hand him the money. Opening night she walked on stage wearing a huge picture hat so Tony was completely blocked by the hat. He did not speak to her for years after that.

by Anonymousreply 4009/07/2012

Just getting familar with these two. Both were very good at what they did. I don't think either was gay though.

by Anonymousreply 4109/07/2012

You are cool jack Benny do you have kids

by Anonymousreply 4201/05/2013

Sorry, but Danny Kaye was HOT.

by Anonymousreply 4301/06/2013

I would say yes he paid me for sex years ago

by Anonymousreply 4402/18/2013

[quote]I wonder why we never hear anything about them being gay.

Unlike Merv Griffin and Liberace, Randall and Benny didn't get taken to court by guys they slept with.

by Anonymousreply 4502/19/2013

I've read just about everything and am convinced Benny was gay. he and his wife slept in separate bedrooms their entire marriage and adopted a daughter. Jack was a "womanizer" in that at a party he would rather hang out and talk to the girls. He was an extremely likable man and I think his show biz friends helped keep his gayness a secret.

by Anonymousreply 4606/23/2013

[quote]he and his wife slept in separate bedrooms their entire marriage

They could do that because they didn't have to deal with a reality show.

by Anonymousreply 4706/23/2013

Both Vivian Leigh and Danny Kaye were Scorpios, which means they were probably more than likely intense dominating sex machines in the bed.

by Anonymousreply 4806/23/2013

Were Benny and Rochester an item?

"Oh, ROchester......"

by Anonymousreply 5006/23/2013

According to the book written by Joan Benny, Jack-and-Mary's adopted daughter, Jack was in love with an Irish Catholic woman when he was very young. He broke off the relationship so not to break his father's heart.

He later married Mary Livingstone, nee Sadie Marks, whose brothers were on the vaudeville circuit with Benny. The brothers brought Benny home for Shabbas dinner to meet their sister. Livingstone was at least 15 years younger than Benny.

by Anonymousreply 5106/23/2013

R39, that's not Tony Randall.

by Anonymousreply 5206/23/2013

I knew Tony Randall and he was just a prissy bitch. I don't think he was interested in men or women sexually

by Anonymousreply 5306/23/2013

Once and for all, just as not all gay men make your gaydar go off, not all men who make your gaydar go off are gay. Thinking otherwise is like being stuck in; the ethos of 1956.

by Anonymousreply 5406/23/2013

The Oracle of Delhi has spoken.

by Anonymousreply 5506/23/2013

How pathetic of heterosexuals who try to "in" even the most obvious closet cases.

Randall was gay. The fact that he married and fathered two children late in life just shows how desperate and fearful he was about being outed after his death. Same bullshit as Hepburn and that biographer to whom she gave the "authorized" heterosexual version of her life because she knew what would be coming soon enough. Same as Liberace and his "Sonya Henie was the love of my life" autobiography after Thorson's palimony suit.

by Anonymousreply 5606/23/2013

R56, what is that you know about Randall being gay?

by Anonymousreply 5706/23/2013

I'm sorry but no matter when or where I think of Tony Randall, I always think, gay.

I'm not that familiar with Jack Benny.

by Anonymousreply 5806/23/2013

Jack Benny was way before my time, but I've seen some Youtube clips of him, and to a 21st century person he "reads" as VERY gay. People were much more clueless about homosexuality back then.

by Anonymousreply 5906/23/2013

[quote]I used to see TR all the time on the C train. He always got on at 68th St and CPW. He must've lived near there.

That's odd because the C train stops at 59th St., and the next stop is 72nd St. How could he have gotten on where there is no stop?

by Anonymousreply 6006/24/2013

Aslong as we're talking about fossilized relics, Bob Hope was gay, gay, GAY!

His phony act as a "womanizer" never rang true - it's just that, coming of age when he did, he could NEVER conceive of coming out.

by Anonymousreply 6106/24/2013

Bob Hope wasn't gay.

Come ON!

by Anonymousreply 6207/05/2013

I've always thought that Benny's act was a variation of the nance from vaudeville. It's like everyone is in on the joke but Benny.

by Anonymousreply 6307/05/2013

Jack Benny was so famous in his day - he was known to every person in America. Today he is totally forgotten. How fleeting celebrity is.

by Anonymousreply 6407/05/2013

I know for sure that Bob "Light in the Loafers" Hope was gay. For much of his life, deeply, deeply closeted, even to himself. He let himself out late in life to his male attendants.

by Anonymousreply 6507/05/2013

Pet Gays

by Anonymousreply 6607/05/2013

[quote]Jack Benny was so famous in his day - he was known to every person in America. Today he is totally forgotten.

No doubt that's the reason we don't have this thread about him.

by Anonymousreply 6707/05/2013

Both gay.

by Anonymousreply 6807/06/2013

r67, a handful of ancient gay men don't count. I'm talking forgotten by the public at large, who have no idea who the fuck Jack Benny was, despite being a huge star in his day.

by Anonymousreply 6907/06/2013

Your version of the "public at large" can't even find the U.S. on a world map r69.

by Anonymousreply 7007/08/2013

Why does anyone want or need to know. Private lives are just that PRIVATE.

by Anonymousreply 7109/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.