Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Co-Workers Spray HIV-Positive Man With Lysol

Co-Workers Spray HIV-Positive Man With Lysol

Almost 35,000 people are supporting a Change.org petition calling on the Great Expressions Dental Center in Michigan to apologize for how it treated HIV-positive employee James White. When White's supervisors learned of his status, they informed fellow coworkers, who proceeded to spray him with Lysol, prohibit him from touching doorknobs, and wipe down furniture and equipment after he used it. When White spent some time in the hospital, the Dental Center told him not to return to work. A study released this past July found that public understanding of HIV has not improved in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 6001/09/2013

An apology? I only hope that Mr. White soon owns the Great Expressions Dental Center, and the homes of his Lysol-wielding co-workers, and those of the owners of the practice.

by Anonymousreply 312/21/2011

One would think that people who work in a medical related field would be better informed. Do they also send patients home after oral surgery and tell them, "should it become too bad, place a knife under your bed and it will cut the pain in two." ?

by Anonymousreply 412/21/2011

Great Expressions Dental Center Practice Support (Corporate Office)

by Anonymousreply 512/21/2011

What possible reason is there for him NOT to sue? And why haven't those involved been arrested for assault?

by Anonymousreply 612/21/2011

I wonder how many emails Amber Valko is going to get today, R5. I don't mean from DLers, but from people in general who read this story and want to tell Great Expressions what shitheads they are.

Also - what happened to protection of private medical information? Not only was he openly discriminated against, but someone also disclosed his medical information. That doesn't say much for a medical clinic. You wonder what else they might disclose about workers or patients.

by Anonymousreply 712/21/2011

Great Expressions Dental Centers spokesman Michael Galperin said the company does not discuss current or former employees and declined further comment on the case.

by Anonymousreply 812/21/2011

R8 That translates to: We fucked up, we know we fucked up. We are screwed and if we say anything more we will be screwed even harder.

by Anonymousreply 912/21/2011

I emailed her, will post a response if I get one.

by Anonymousreply 1012/21/2011

Sorry, I'm one of those "crazy Ron Paul guys" but this is such a gross violation I hope that he sues them for millions.

by Anonymousreply 1112/21/2011

The Lysol sprayers should be charged with assault at the very least.

by Anonymousreply 1212/21/2011

Jesus Christ! What year is this? Hard to believe this kind of ignorance and ugliness still exists in a *dental center* today.

by Anonymousreply 1312/21/2011

He has no case. Madonna is treated the same way when others come in contact with her.

by Anonymousreply 1412/21/2011

Feel free to blog up at the newspaper. A lot of yokels up there are supporting the dentist's office. They need a dose of DL education with regards too HIV.

by Anonymousreply 1512/21/2011

Well, why didn't someone let us know that a cure for AIDS was sitting right there on aisle 12?!

by Anonymousreply 1612/21/2011

Lysol?? No, no, no, NO! Windex! Put some Windex!

by Anonymousreply 1712/21/2011

Major lawsuit material.

by Anonymousreply 1812/21/2011

This is crazy. That poor man.

I will virtual kick ass all those goons.

by Anonymousreply 1912/21/2011

what a shame. in this day and age of information on HIV & AIDS. hang in there Mr. White.

by Anonymousreply 2001/08/2012

Start writing. Keep writing. Spread the story. This is the shit we have to worry about before we start caring if Jessica Simpson's legs are fat.

by Anonymousreply 2101/08/2012

Cheryl's co-workers spray her with Febreze all the time. What's the big deal?

by Anonymousreply 2201/08/2012

How did his employers find out that he was HIV positive and why in the hell did they feel it necessary to tell other employees? Something seems wrong with this story because he must have known why he was being sprayed down with Lysol and asked to not touch doorknobs, so why not co front them right then or call the cops? I really hope we get some more info to fill in the blanks, but really this poor man must have been a gentle soul, I would have shoved that can of Lysol down their throats, licked the doorknobs and acted like an asshole had my coworkers treated me like that.

by Anonymousreply 2301/08/2012

Fuck those people. Sue this shit out of them. Destroy that asshole dentist's life. That's what I would do. I would make it my life's mission to ensure this asshole's life ends miserably.

by Anonymousreply 2401/08/2012

Here, contact customer 'advocacy'.

by Anonymousreply 2501/08/2012

Dentists are prone to commit suicide. So here's hoping.

by Anonymousreply 2601/08/2012

Why should we be subjected to diseased whores in the workplace?

by Anonymousreply 2701/08/2012

Immigrant co-workers from third rate countries...

by Anonymousreply 2901/08/2012

Here's their Facebook page.

by Anonymousreply 3101/08/2012

So, who's going to be the first to spam their FB page?

by Anonymousreply 3201/08/2012

You can be fired for being gay from your job in America. It's legal. What's he going to do? Sue over being sprayed with Lysol? He can't do anything thanks to the great ol US of A!

by Anonymousreply 3301/08/2012

[italic]How did his employers find out that he was HIV positive and why in the hell did they feel it necessary to tell other employees? Something seems wrong with this story because he must have known why he was being sprayed down with Lysol and asked to not touch doorknobs, so why not co front them right then or call the cops? I really hope we get some more info to fill in the blanks, but really this poor man must have been a gentle soul, I would have shoved that can of Lysol down their throats, licked the doorknobs and acted like an asshole had my coworkers treated me like that.[/italic]

Sorry, but it really is that simple, hon. This happens every day.

No blanks to fill in. Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 3401/08/2012

If he told his employer and the employer told his coworkers then he has grounds for a lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 3501/08/2012

They've disabled messaging on their fb page.

by Anonymousreply 3601/08/2012

You can comment on their posts, R36.

by Anonymousreply 3701/08/2012

I'm glad more folks are finding out about this shocking story. Some who work in Human Resources are very unprofessional and will tell a "friend" at work personal & confidental info to other co-workers (in their work circle.) I've been in that hot seat & it hurts. It would surprise lots of people to know their work file information isn't always looked after in a professional manner (no matter where you work.) I feel for Mr. White. Clearly they felt they could get away with spraying him with lysol since that's very extreme. I'll be watching this story.

by Anonymousreply 3801/08/2012

I grew up in nearby Warren, MI and my family still lives in the area. My aunt is right down the street from this dental clinic.

I can't find a picture of Mr. White anywhere - I'll google further after this post - but I can guarantee you that if Mr. White isn't lilly white that had a great deal to do with this entire story.

The area is a shit-hole and the people are knukle dragging, brain dead, racist asswipes.

I lived in Austin, TX for 9 years and that wasn't as bad as where I grew up.

by Anonymousreply 3901/08/2012

Sorry about all the typos....arthritis is very bad this afternoon and typing is difficult.

Read some of the linked stories and am amazed that Great Expressions sent a cease & desist letter to the college student that posted the original petition. Another person has since posted a new petition.

Makes me think that if the company does loose it's case, it will file bankruptcy rather than pay any settlement/judgment.

by Anonymousreply 4001/08/2012

Some of you are fucking ridiculous. HIV is not a gay disease, therefore, gay men are not obligated to blindly support someone just because they have HIV. Ever think that the guy is lying through his teeth? Why automatically assume he's telling the truth.

by Anonymousreply 4101/08/2012

I have a friend with HIV. I've never sprayed him with Lysol.

by Anonymousreply 4201/08/2012

R41, having had a bad experience at a dental clinic in Michigan: when my partner who had HIV showed up for his appointment, the dentist didn't show up and they had to find another one from somewhere, I find this story all too credible.

by Anonymousreply 4301/08/2012

Awful. There has to be some type of violation of HIPPA laws, no ??? Most likely he disclosed to his manager or someone and they blabbed. Or sadly, maybe a co-worker that he felt was a close enough friend. That people remain so clueless about the ways the disease can be spread in 2012 is scary.

Welcome back to 1981.

by Anonymousreply 4401/08/2012

I sincerely hope their children seroconvert.

by Anonymousreply 4501/08/2012

It's HIPAA (just so you're taken seriously)

by Anonymousreply 4601/08/2012

R41, what's your point, you inhumane nincompoop? Oh, that the former employee is a liar about the mistreatment received? Or that he's not gay? Or that people here associate homosexuality with HIV for some ridiculous reason?

You're a fine piece of work, you quibbling little stool sample you.

by Anonymousreply 4701/09/2012

I see a can of Febreze coming my way and I break out into a cold sweat.

by Anonymousreply 4801/09/2012

Please don't let them be b-

by Anonymousreply 5001/14/2012

Am I gonna have to be the one to say it? I dont want a HIV poz dental assistant ramaging anywhere near any of my cavities, dental or otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 5102/02/2012

Am I going to be the only one that says this? R51 is a retard. If you had actually bothered to read the links provided, you would have learned that the man in question is not a dental assistant. And "ramaging" is no a word.

by Anonymousreply 5202/02/2012

Am I going to be the one to say it? R51, you're retarded. Had you bother to read the links provided you would know this man is not a dental assistant. And despite what someone may have told you, "ramaging" is not a word.

by Anonymousreply 5302/02/2012

Moron of the day @ R51.

by Anonymousreply 5402/02/2012

Am I gonna have to be the one to say it?

I EAT OLD PEOPLE'S EXCREMENT!

by Anonymousreply 5502/02/2012

Did anyone receive a reply from the company?

by Anonymousreply 5603/23/2012

Michigan: Judge dismisses lawsuit filed by HIV-positive dental worker

by Staff Writer, PinkNews.co.uk

8 January 2013, 7:17pm

A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed by a former dental centre employee in Michigan who claimed he faced discrimination at work and was fired because he is HIV-positive.

The Associated Press reports US District Judge Robert Cleland in late November granted summary judgment to Great Expressions Dental Centres.

James White accused the Bloomfield Hills-based company of violating the Americans With Disabilities Act.

He worked for Great Expressions in 2008 and 2009.

In a statement, Great Expressions CEO Richard Beckman says the company has “stood firm since this lawsuit was filed that it had no merit whatsoever.”

A message seeking comment was left for White’s lawyer on Tuesday.

In 2011, a survey found that 5% of US dentists polled do not offer services to people living with HIV.

The study authors said another 5% of the 612 dentists’ offices in Los Angeles County, California, would take people living with HIV as patients, but would only offer teeth-cleaning services, ask them to come in on separate days or isolate them from other patients.

by Anonymousreply 5701/08/2013

Many of the case documents are online for whoever wants to view them.

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT

EASTERN DISTRICT OF MICHIGAN

Case No. 11-cv-15534

2:11-cv-15534-RHC-PJK

by Anonymousreply 5801/08/2013

R57,

I'd be fearful of any dental office that did not treat patients with HIV, because it might mean they're cutting corners with sterilazation of equipment, etc.

As for the coworkers, I grew up in NYC, and spent much of my teen years sharing joints with at least four separate HIV+ people, before any of us knew what it was, and with their viral loads through the roof. I got tested a few years later due to my sex life (hetero) and was negative.

I figure if it was that transmissible, fans of Pink Floyd and the Grateful Dead would have become extinct.

I've also never understood why doctors and dentists who have HIV don't just specialize in treating patients who have it. I know different strains are a risk, but you'd think this would be a natural fit.

by Anonymousreply 5901/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.