Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Need a Solution for Dry Hands

I can already hear the sperm jokes, but I will post this anyway.

My hands are dry and I can't seem to get them smooth. It is to the point that I am snagging clothing.

Does anyone know a good product?

My mom used to swear by Corn Huskers Lotion.

by Anonymousreply 6812/25/2011

Rotella .. Google it.

Heavy-duty stuff!

by Anonymousreply 112/20/2011

by Anonymousreply 212/20/2011

Dip them into the gentle waters of Lake Como from a lovely, teak Edwardian skiff.

You're welcome!

by Anonymousreply 312/20/2011

Gold Bond or Aveeno lotion -and not their generics.

by Anonymousreply 412/20/2011

Gold Bond Foot Cream, not the regular Gold Bond lotion.

It's designed for cracked heels, and is so hea ling it can undo the damaged caused by 100 daily applications of hand sanitizer.z

by Anonymousreply 512/20/2011

Doctor and dermatologist both recommended Eucerin or Aquaphor (healing ointment for most severely dry skin).

by Anonymousreply 612/20/2011

It's not what you use. It's how often. A good hand creme all day and slop it on at night.

by Anonymousreply 712/20/2011

Vaseline

by Anonymousreply 812/20/2011

Get a humidifier. It really helps.

Wear gloves! Try to avoid washing your hands whenever possible. If you must do something that would make you wash your hands afterwards, wear gloves. Always wear gloves to wash dishes by hand or when handling laundry detergents. Wear disposable gloves when slicing fruits and vegetables in the kitchen. I prefer nitrile gloves over latex.

As far as treatment goes, it's straightforward. You need to restore the skin barrier. Apply thick unguent of your choice; I like Eletone. Apply liberally at night, then wear cotton gloves to bed. Yes, it looks dorky but it works. This is what I had to do for three months when I had a really bad case of dermatitis on my hands. I even had to shower with vinyl gloves on.

If your dry hands don't improve after about 10 days of sleeping with the gloves on consult a dermatologist.

by Anonymousreply 912/20/2011

Use Emu Oil. It's the only oil that truly penetrates the skin. Google it for more info.

by Anonymousreply 1012/20/2011

At your next PNP party rub lots of Gun Oil lube on them.

by Anonymousreply 1112/20/2011

Cum.

by Anonymousreply 1212/20/2011

OP, my dad works outside and has very dry hands. He uses Corn Huskers and says it really helps.

by Anonymousreply 1312/20/2011

Found this on a cool guys fashion/lifestyle site. Haven't tried it but their review makes it sound promising.

by Anonymousreply 1412/20/2011

Aquaphor healing ointment made by Eucerin. The cheaper version is vaseline, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 1512/20/2011

Coat your hands in tar like the ancients.

by Anonymousreply 1612/20/2011

OP, put a little sea salt or sugar in a bowl. Mix with a little olive or grapeseed oil. Scrub hands with it, rinse in warm water, then put lotion on.

by Anonymousreply 1712/20/2011

Jeez. Just use Aveeno after washing. Carry it with you.

by Anonymousreply 1812/20/2011

Bear grease.

Check at your local zoo -- maybe they've had a bear croak recently.

by Anonymousreply 1912/20/2011

I concur with R17 - exfoliate your hands first and then lotion.

by Anonymousreply 2012/20/2011

Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream: It's more of an ointment and has a sort of not wonderful smell--but this works like nothing else--it's great for burns too--not kidding--it's really good stuff!

by Anonymousreply 2112/20/2011

Once you've slopped it all over your hands, please refrain from rubbing your hands all over shopping cart handles right away.

If you're going to be leaving a visible residue, wear gloves or wipe up after yourself.

by Anonymousreply 2212/20/2011

Crack Creme is the best.

by Anonymousreply 2312/20/2011

Bag Balm or cow udder cream in the black and white tube.

by Anonymousreply 2412/20/2011

AmiLactin

by Anonymousreply 2512/20/2011

eggs

by Anonymousreply 2612/21/2011

Bag Balm. I had a bad spell in the city, splitting finger tips, bandages on every finger -- tried prescriptions from my dermatologist, sunlamp treatments for the hands. Bag Balm is the only thing that works. I am putting it on the incision from an operation on my knee three weeks ago and it's making the skin elastic again. It's hard to get in the city - go to amazon.com.

by Anonymousreply 2712/21/2011

Burt's Bees also has a good hand cream.

by Anonymousreply 2812/21/2011

I buy Vitapan for my dry hands, it works like a charm, and doesn't dry out quickly like most others do.

I don't know if they have it in USA though, but if they do it's probably available at the pharmacy. Oh, and I usually buy the orange one, the yellow one is a bit different and not as good, the orange one works better imo.

by Anonymousreply 2912/21/2011

Alaffia Neem & Shea butter body lotion is the best product I've ever found for dry hands. You can use it as little as once a day and it works in this dry weather.

by Anonymousreply 3012/21/2011

Pure shea butter is also effective but it is so concentrated it may be overkill for most folks. I like to use balms with shea butter plus essential oils as lotions aren't emollient enough.

by Anonymousreply 3112/21/2011

KP Duty found at Sephora. Great stuff.

Or Aquaphor as previously mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 3212/21/2011

Use anything. Doesn't have to be fancy Just use it often. Especially after you wash your hands.

by Anonymousreply 3312/21/2011

Complex 15.

by Anonymousreply 3412/21/2011

When I took a survival school course we had to tan a hide with deer brains. My hands were never softer. I mean smooth and soft like buttah.

by Anonymousreply 3512/21/2011

r35 = Hannibal Lecter's outdoorsy cousin

by Anonymousreply 3612/21/2011

Vaseline. Once you get past the fact that everything you touch will be greasy, it's great.

by Anonymousreply 3712/21/2011

My grandmother used to moisturize her hands with vaseline and then wear gloves to bed. It worked for her.

by Anonymousreply 3812/21/2011

curel original.

by Anonymousreply 3912/21/2011

I second Emu Oil. I'm a honky with dry skin and it is the ONLY thing I have ever used that truly got rid of dry skin. You will have a shine to your hands and it may get on things (sheets), but if you want to get rid of that "scaley" look then try some.

by Anonymousreply 4012/21/2011

Live in bone dry ranch country. Cornhuskers is what we use.

by Anonymousreply 4112/21/2011

Cornhuskers smells good, but it doesn't work.

Pay attention, OP.

CETAPHIL. in the plastic jar. apply it every night and be sure it's completely absorbed.

All your concerns will be solved, I promise.

by Anonymousreply 4212/21/2011

My hands used to be really dry, especially in the winter. They were so dry that my skin would crack and bleed. It was like having deep cuts around the tips of my fingers. Then someone gave me Kiehl's lotion, and in literally day the problem was solved.

by Anonymousreply 4312/21/2011

Aveeno baby lotion. It is unscented so it doesn't smell and is not greasy.

by Anonymousreply 4412/21/2011

Another vote for Bag Balm. Smear it on your feet and hands, wear white cotton socks and gloves, go to bed and you will have beautiful, moist digits in the morn.

Promise.

by Anonymousreply 4512/21/2011

CRISCO. I am totally serious. Grease up and put on some cotton gloves every night in addition to rubbing a small amount in a couple times day. It really works. I know some smartasses will make bad jokes.

by Anonymousreply 4612/21/2011

Aren't there a ton of different Kiehl's hand lotions?

by Anonymousreply 4712/21/2011

Frank's RedHot. I put that shit on everything!

by Anonymousreply 4812/22/2011

R43? WTF is with that video?

by Anonymousreply 4912/22/2011

Bought cornhuskers today because of this thread. Gotta say I'm not impressed. I don't like the smell (which tends to linger) and it doesn't really moisturize or softens my hands. It leaves kind of a film on my hands that feels a little silky/oily but it only stays for 30 mins or so. Drugstore was out of Bag Balm. Curses!

by Anonymousreply 5012/23/2011

I have a suggestion, but you may not like it.

by Anonymousreply 5112/23/2011

Corn Husker's Lotion is excellent for "husking your corn," if you catch my drift. It's very slippery stuff.

by Anonymousreply 5212/23/2011

Another vote for a humidifier.

If you have broken cuticles, chapped hands, split lips, dry throat, etc., and its worse in the winter, then a humidifier makes a world of difference.

Moist air makes a BIG difference. Forced hot air heat especially is murder on skin. Lot of times you can't avoid it at work, but you can fix the problem at home.

Depending on how your place is set up, you probably will need one for each room. They don't seem to do much at a distance, get at least one for the bedroom and then one for the room where you spend the most time between work and sleep.

The cheap kind that work through evaporation and not mist, are fine. The misting ones put grit over everything, including your lungs, as the minerals in the water separate out. There may be a filtering process for that problem now, but every feature costs money.

I have heard the in-duct/whole house type don't work.

Buy cheap small ones, make a habit of filling them each day. Throw them out each season and get new ones.

by Anonymousreply 5312/23/2011

I'm with r53. Dry NYC apartment. I buy some cheep ones at bed bath beyond every year. Use them Dec-March and toss them. That little bit of moisture in the air is all you really need.

by Anonymousreply 5412/23/2011

You're soaking in it.

by Anonymousreply 5512/24/2011

Here's a way I use to combat dry indoor air and dry my laundry inside:

I bought a wooden drying rack at BBB and sometimes in the evening before bed, I wash a load of laundry.

I hang the damp laundry on the drying rack and by morning, I have dry laundry and the air inside my apartment is nice and humidified.

Easy peasy.

by Anonymousreply 5612/24/2011

Theraseal Hand Protection Cream

I have bad dry skin and this helps. Hard to find, expensive but really works.

by Anonymousreply 5712/24/2011

The best hand cream I've found is from Clarins. I realize you might not want to pay $23.50 for a 3.5 oz tube; however, the next time you're in a department store, you might stop by the Clarins counter to see if they have a sample. I've seen recommendations upthread for Kiehl's. Kiehl's is almost religious about offering samples before purchase, so you might also try for a sample there. (I don't like Kiehl's lotions, but I love their calendula toner, and they always throw in samples with purchases.)

For drugstore brands, I've had good luck with Curel. Pond's lotions do not absorb well, so I avoid them.

Once upon a time, ladies slathered their hands with cream and put on white cotton gloves before bed. You might try something like that with petroleum jelly or some other oil.

by Anonymousreply 5812/24/2011

56:

That does work. Putting a pot of water on the stove over a low flame helps -- anything to get moisture into the air.

by Anonymousreply 5912/24/2011

It depends on the cause of the dryness, OP. If you handle paper all day or other things which can leach protein from the skin, get a lotion with urea in it (brands like Carmol or Kerasal, or their generics). If it's dryness from abrasion, something like Corn Husker's or Bag Balm is a good bet. If it's thick, calloused skin you want to soften up, find something with sorbitan sesquioleate in it (like Polysorb). If it's winter weather causing the dryness, try out Eucerin or (and this last one is dirt cheap at the drug store) Glycerin with Rose Water.

by Anonymousreply 6012/24/2011

r60 here, the author field should say "you can thank me by shopping at a local independent pharmacy". Apparently we can't afford a full author line or our own lobbyists to get ourselves preferential treatment under the law.

by Anonymousreply 6112/24/2011

Use Udder Cream, I've known people who swear by it.

by Anonymousreply 6212/24/2011

My parents always kept a shallow metal pan full of water under their floor heater grate, & my skin was never badly dry when I lived there.

Now, there's no room under the floor heater grate in my house, so I set a shallow metal pan on top of the grate & try to keep it filled with water. But my cat (who has a nice bowl full of clean water next to his food dish in the kitchen) loves to drink the warm, dusty water out of my furnace dish -- so it sometimes runs empty & develops a rusty spot on the bottom.

In general, though, this system works very well.

by Anonymousreply 6312/24/2011

Like R58, I like Clarins hand cream, but the original kind, not the newer kind, which doesn't work.

The udder cream in the black and white tube is good.

I also like L'Occitane. It's got a high shea butter content and it smells clean, as opposed to perfumed.

OP, have you considered a parrafin wax dip? Most spas do this. You dip your hands in hot wax and then they glove you up for awhile.

Just use any cream as opposed to nothing.

by Anonymousreply 6412/24/2011

I like blue emu, too.

by Anonymousreply 6512/24/2011

R63, The water doesn't *have* to be on the heater. If you just have water in the room in will help. The air will naturally take up the water. Put the bowl where the cat can't reach it.

by Anonymousreply 6612/24/2011

LL Beanmakes stove top steamers. Best part is you add spices or orange rind to the water and it smells up your place.

by Anonymousreply 6712/25/2011

Thanks for the moisturizer explanation, Mr. Pharmacist. I'm a lawyer, so I've had the "handling paper" dryness problem.

by Anonymousreply 6812/25/2011
Need more help? Click Here.