Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

YOUNG ADULT with Charlize Theron

Loved it. Great movie that is funny and sad. The mean girl gets away with so much and never grows up. Ever. Theron is still gorgeous even when she is suppose to look at her worst when she is hungover, no make up, and wearing sloppy sweats. I never cared for Patton Oswald on The United States of Tara. In this he is funny and touching. Very interesting movie.

by Anonymousreply 10004/15/2013

Am I the only one who loved this movie?

by Anonymousreply 112/21/2011

I would like to see it - just haven't gotten around to it yet.

by Anonymousreply 312/21/2011

I'll wait for the DVD.

by Anonymousreply 412/21/2011

did diablo cody reign in her lame tweeness? Is the dialogue even 12% realistic?

by Anonymousreply 512/21/2011

OP, I really wanted to see this movie, but I was wondering - is there some lesson, ie is Theron brought down and humiliated for her general deviant attitudes, and the suburban women are deemed superior?

by Anonymousreply 612/21/2011

No R6- no redemption for the character. She leaves the way she came in--- a bitch. That's what I liked about it, not a transforming 'I have changed for the better' ending.

by Anonymousreply 712/21/2011

that's good R7, but what are we supposed to think of the suburban women - are we supposed to think they are better than her? I read that the wife and her pals are "cool" because they play in some moms band??

by Anonymousreply 812/21/2011

I loved it. It was so bleak--everyone's life was awful, but not humiliated, and Theron was fearless. Brilliant performance.

by Anonymousreply 912/21/2011

How would a suburban frau-ish type react to this movie? Does it put Charlize in her place, and show the other women as wiser and therefore better etc?

by Anonymousreply 1012/21/2011

I find the movie to be rather depressing to watch.

I walked out of the theatre half way into this movie.

Nothing really happens, and not in a good way

by Anonymousreply 1112/22/2011

(I've already posted about it on the Charlize Theron thread so forgive me if you've heard some of this before.)

I really liked it but I don't think it will be popular. The character doesn't grow and there isn't a pat Hollywood ending, thank god.

R6, no you're not supposed to think they're better thank god. The other woman is actually a good person but she's not 'cool' really.

Theron is amazing. She was really funny on ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT but this is different. Even though the character is incredibly unlikeable, Theron manages to convey enough vulnerability that you do feel for her. And I predict she will not get an Oscar nomination.

The screenplay is flawed. Cody manages to reign in the 'cute speak' but there are some great lines. I wish they hadn't given the character a big secret. The reveal was unnecessary. I get the idea behind the final scene in Matt's kitchen with his sister, but I think it was clumsily written and kind of obvious. The actors played the scene wonderfully though.

by Anonymousreply 1212/22/2011

What is the big surprise

by Anonymousreply 1312/22/2011

Thought it was good, too.....because there was no pat hollywood ending..just showed that our flaws do last into adulthood...found it interesting for that..and Charlize was wonderful

by Anonymousreply 1412/22/2011

Theron is a total bitch in real life. She is just playing herself in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 1512/22/2011

Patton Oswald was surprisingly good. Theron was excellent. There was no plot, and really interesting characters are introduced and forgotten over and over. This was a bad movie with great performances.

by Anonymousreply 1612/22/2011

From whom did she steal the plot, this time?

by Anonymousreply 1712/22/2011

Link goes to movie spoiler:

by Anonymousreply 1812/22/2011

[quote]How would a suburban frau-ish type react to this movie? Does it put Charlize in her place, and show the other women as wiser and therefore better etc?

I don't think dumb fraus will like it just because there is no hollywood ending as other posters in this thread have pointed out.

Anyone intelligent can see that Charlize's character was in the wrong and I would think the movie makes that clear...but still, tread carefully.

For what it is worth I quite enjoyed it. Just a great look at the human condition.

by Anonymousreply 1912/22/2011

I saw Bad Teacher. Is this pretty much the same movie? Looks it from the trailers. Hot blonde doesn't care about anyone else, out to catch a guy for selfish reasons. I'd like to hear from anyone who saw both flicks.

by Anonymousreply 2012/22/2011

I'm not going to post a spoiler - but those of you who say that Charlize's character didn't grow... Wow. Did you even SEE the movie? Or, maybe you just didn't "get" the ending...

by Anonymousreply 2112/22/2011

Something about the trailer for this reminds me of Election. The characters didn't really grow in that either.

by Anonymousreply 2212/22/2011

No,R10- there is one part near the end where you think she is questioning her own motives but that doesn't last long.

by Anonymousreply 2312/22/2011

If Young Adult is even 1/2 as good as Election, then that put's it in a category all its own.

Election is the best American comedy of the past 20 years, IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 2412/22/2011

I hated it. I've been very depressed and was expecting a comedy from the way it was marketed. Total bait and switch.

by Anonymousreply 2512/22/2011

R21, I disagree. To me, she experiences these events, things happen to her but her perception is not changed by these events. She is no more self-aware than she was at the start.

And R24, I'd say it's about half as good.

by Anonymousreply 2612/22/2011

Well, R26 - I must have read more into the ending (the VERY ending) than anyone else. Her essence will never change (does it ever for anyone?), but her view of her life and of herself most definitely changed for the better.

by Anonymousreply 2712/22/2011

The fact that there's this kind of discussion about the movie makes me want to see it so I can jump in. That's a good sign.

by Anonymousreply 2812/22/2011

I thought it was terrible. I really wanted to like it, because I thought it took chances and was brave, but it just wasn't believable or good. There were so many loose threads and absurd situations. C'mon: who obsesses over a high school bf 20 years after graduating? she lives driving distance to her parents, yet didn't know they hadn't sold her old car? she can walk into a bar in the middle of the day with a dress cut down to THERE and NO ONE looks at her? she just HAPPENS to run into the Patton Oswalt character every single place she goes. there was such a big deal about the "jocks" who harmed oswalt, yet there was no payoff. it would have been interesting if Buddy had been one of the jocks, but no, the movie didn't even have that level of depth or insight, It was a bad movie, with an admittedly great performance from Theron. But it was still a bad movie.

by Anonymousreply 2912/22/2011

[quote]the movie didn't even have that level of depth or insight

That's because we're talking Diablo Cody and Jason Reitman here, masters of faux depth. American audiences love that shit.

by Anonymousreply 3012/22/2011

Had really mixed feelings about this movie.

Felt it was superficial and unrealistic in many ways. Some of the dialogue rang true, other parts felt forced. Sometimes it was hard to tell just whom the movie was mocking exactly. The jaded heroine or her rube pals?

On the other hand, thought Young Adult had a lot to say about loneliness. About expectations for life that have not been met. About lives where digital devices and trash TV keep us company and are never turned off. About the rituals that make us feel better -- drinking. Texting, even if it is to no one. Elaborate pampering and beauty methods where we close our eyes to be stroked and touched and healed.

Had a greater impact than I anticipated and made me very uneasy.

by Anonymousreply 3112/22/2011

It looks like a bleak "My Best Friend's Wedding"

by Anonymousreply 3212/22/2011

R11, How on earth would you know nothing happens if you didn't watch the whole movie? Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 3312/22/2011

It would have been terrifically dumb to have Patrick Wilson's character be one of the jocks who beat up Oswalt, r29. That's obvious and plodding and a horrible idea and I'm glad the film avoided that. And part of the whole point of the film was wrapped up in how nobody looked at Theron in the bar - she considers herself much more important than she really is, and that underlined that really nicely. People have other shit to pay attention to, their own lives, and her insane teenage melodrama is only in her own head.

by Anonymousreply 3412/22/2011

I agree with R30.

by Anonymousreply 3512/22/2011

I liked this movie (and Charlize's character) a lot for the same reason I've always loved Six Feet Under. There's no "neat" ending, or wrapping up of issues, or great changes. Fuck, David was still having major emotional/anxiety issues up until the series finale. Young Adult was the same way; you're glimpsing a short span of time (a few days), so nothing grand is going to happen during that time period. At the very end, where she unlocks her car, you can interpret the look on her face in a variety of ways:

--She's still the same, and realized she fucked up.

--She may have thought a bit about things, but may not really change that much.

--She may be really thinking about her life, and may end up changing some things.

I think her narration over the end (the ending of the final book) is supposed to reflect that there are new opportunities in a new chapter of her life. She's already had a few interesting chapters (high school, marriage, success, divorce etc.).

by Anonymousreply 3612/26/2011

Very unrealistic that a girl like that would wear pantyhose.

Among other things.

by Anonymousreply 3712/26/2011

I was disappointed by it. Theron was fantastic. Mavis was total bitch without the cartoonishness that lightens most film bitches (see: Rachel McAdams in Mean Girls)

My problem was with the relationship with Patton Oswalt's character Matt. There was no agreeable chemistry between them, as friends or otherwise. It didn't feel as though they were realistically reacting to each other in any of their scenes together. I appreciate that Oswalt didn't go over-the-top melodramatic, but I think it would be a shame for him to walk off with a nomination for this.

I loved everything with Mavis & the Slades, as well as her interaction with her own family. And I disagree with the earlier poster that didn't like the final kitchen table scene with Matt's sister; it saved the movie for me.

by Anonymousreply 3812/27/2011

R6/8/10, why don't we just rephrase your question...

All the women are total cunts with no redeemable qualities just like all the real women in the world, right?

There, that gets your point across a little better.

by Anonymousreply 3912/27/2011

My god, I just watched a screener of the movie 2 nights ago and I've already forgotten what happens in the final scene with Matt's sister. She asks Mavis to take her with her (out of nowhere!) but then what hapens....?

***SPOILER*** And did you really believe that Mavis would sleep (have sex?) with Matt?!?

I did find it funny how they really tried to deglamorize Patrick Wilson with puffy vests and scruffy beards.

by Anonymousreply 4012/27/2011

[quote] she can walk into a bar in the middle of the day with a dress cut down to THERE and NO ONE looks at her?

This! I hate when when stunning people walk into places in movies and no one notices them. Nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 4112/27/2011

I can't believe her Mini-Cooper has a cassette deck.

by Anonymousreply 4212/27/2011

It struck me that as she was finishing the final novel that she was also done with her life as it was and would move on from there.

by Anonymousreply 4312/27/2011

It's a box office bust.

It's only made 8 million so far, after 3 weeks in release.

This was supposed to be Diablo's triumphant return, after the failure of JENNIFER'S BODY and the cancellation of UNITED STATES OF TARA.

Guess not.

by Anonymousreply 4412/27/2011

I wouldn't call it a bust. It is only playing at 987 theaters and has made back more than half of its budget. Compared to the almost 4000 theaters that the top films are playing in, and given the less than touchy feely subject and treatment, it's doing better than I expected.

by Anonymousreply 4512/27/2011

Great performances in a bad movie

by Anonymousreply 4612/27/2011

I find sitting through a whole movie with a Diablo Cody penned dialogue kind of tedious. I think she has some interesting insight into human relationships and I can enjoy it in small doses but if the same schtick goes on for too long, it just starts grating on me.

by Anonymousreply 4712/27/2011

This movie was supposed to be awards bait (hence the December release) not box office bait.

Los Angeles Film Critics, Broadcast Film Critics, Toronto Film Critics and the Golden Globes have Young Adult on the list so far.......

by Anonymousreply 4812/27/2011

Holy shit! I just saw Young Adult and as much as I hate Diablo Cody, I have to say I loved the movie. It looks like a couple of goofy caricaturists are the current frontrunners for Best Actress Oscars (Meryl Streep and Michelle Williams), but if the award were based solely on the performance than Charlize would win. She was awesome...there's really no other way to put it. The role wasn't an easy one, but she managed to portray a 3 dimensional villainess brilliantly. I was also highly impressed by Patton Oswalt...both he and Charlize played characters who really hadn't been done before. They also, surprisingly, had a lot of chemistry.

As usual, Patrick Wilson was a non-entity. It's really sad that these days he doesn't even have his looks to fall back on.

by Anonymousreply 4912/27/2011

LMAO at R29 and R42! My rave is above (R49), but I was bothered by the exact same things! It was totally unrealistic that a gorgeous woman walks into not one, but 2, sports bars only to be totally ignored. I also thought it was highly unlikely that a Mini Cooper would actually have a tape deck instead of CD player!!!! Unless it was the one she drove in "The Italian Job" :P

by Anonymousreply 5012/27/2011

Patrick Wilson should just embace his inner Ralph Bellamy.

Charlize Theron won't get an Oscar nomination because she's not playing a historical figure (Streep, Williams) the character isn't inspirational (Davis), and she didn't play down her looks. Have to have at least one of those to even be considered.

by Anonymousreply 5112/27/2011

I hated it. Theron was amazing but the movie was so self-consciously written and directed. I left half way in. Nothing that could happen after the 1st mind-numbing 45 minutes could possibly redeem this POS.

by Anonymousreply 5212/27/2011

Which really sucks, R51. Charlize was funny, cruel, kind, tragic, and you could tell she had this internal struggle going on (with herself, with her parents, with her exes) the entire time.

by Anonymousreply 5312/27/2011

I think Charlize definitely elevated the material with an excellent performance in an underwritten film

by Anonymousreply 5412/27/2011

I saw this last night. I didn't love it. The best part of watching it was seeing how Charlize can't help but be staggeringly beautiful in some shots. I was hoping for more edge based on the previews and the reviews. Just her bitchy looks at people was enough, though. The way she glared and shot looks at people with such disdain was refreshing to see. YOu could see on her face what she thought of it all without grandstanding.

by Anonymousreply 5512/29/2011

What do she say to Patton Oswald in the semi-naked scene?

"Cover me" or maybe "Come to me"...?

Could anybody hear?

by Anonymousreply 5612/29/2011

[quote]Patrick Wilson should just embrace his inner Ralph Bellamy.

Ouch...yet true.

by Anonymousreply 5712/29/2011

It's sad that she won't get nominated because of the competition this year (Williams will beat her for the Globe, and Swinton will likely get the 5th slot at the Oscars, behind Davis, Streep, Williams, and Glennie). It's a great, brave performance.

by Anonymousreply 5812/29/2011

I'm glad people are discussing this movie. Even if they hate it I'm interested to hear their opinion on it. Unlike many movies I've seen recently, I've thought about it a lot since. I had problems with the script but I think Cody is growing and I still loved it.

I bought nobody looking at her in the bar because I figured most of them were probably too scared to look at her.

I'm really glad people are recognizing the performances, especially Theron. I'm hoping maybe she will get an Oscar nomination plus a 'surprise' nomination for Oswalt. With the right marketing campaign, it could happen. God that's sad but that's what it's all about.

by Anonymousreply 5912/29/2011

This is Theron's best work since "Monster". The movie kept me interested from start to near-finish. I felt it ended abruptly, and though she doesn't much change, the happy-happy music makes it seems like there was some epiphany. But there wasn't. Or maybe a little; she does hug her dog for the first time in the movie.

My sister was a popular cheerleader and peaked young. A few years ago she started an online flirtation with her H.S. sweetheart, broke-up with her husband and moved back to my tiny mid-western hometown to take up with him. It didn't work out, she reconciled with hubby and resumed her life in South Carolina (I'd recommned the film to her, but she only watches films for fashion tips and home designs).

It's in the comedy/tragedy vein of "Little Children", which also starred Patrick Wilson. He knows a good script when he reads one.

by Anonymousreply 6012/31/2011

Patton Oswalt was just fine, even moving, but I can't imagine he won't be more or less the same in every fim he does. I don't think he has much range in him. It would have actually been a lot more intersting if the character did turn out to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 6112/31/2011

I want to see it.

by Anonymousreply 6212/31/2011

I thought the script was excellent but the casting was off. Oswalt and Theron had zero chemistry. Patrick Wilson was, as another poster said, a non-entity. It was never clear why Theron would lust after him -- he projected *zero* charisma.

But the storyline was moving, and Theron did a good job in her role. I just wish the male leads were re-cast.

by Anonymousreply 6312/31/2011

Well, the filmmakers clearly didn't want the Patrick Wilson character to be a Greek god, a hot unattainable hunk. Patrick was very obviously deglamorized with his scruffy beard, plaid flannels, dad jeans and puffy vests. He could have easily looked much prettier....see Little Children, for example.

I pointed this out way upthread.

Whether this helped or hurt the movie, I can't say. I didn't care for it for other reasons.

by Anonymousreply 6412/31/2011

Saw it today. It had some funny parts and Theron and Oswalt are fantastic, but, God, what a depressing film. I didn't mind that Mavis was not redeemed at the end, but did the movie have to be so negative and hopeless? Seemed to me the whole point of the film was to say that life sucks and doesn't get better; I wanted to throw myself in front of a bus when it was over.

by Anonymousreply 6501/01/2012

ok, just saw this yesterday

Agree with R38, especially here:

"And I disagree with the earlier poster that didn't like the final kitchen table scene with Matt's sister; it saved the movie for me"

It saved the movie for me, too. That came right after the unnecessary "big reveal" scene.

It could have been a much better movie. It was so superficial and of course unrealistic in so many ways. They could have had a comedy with more bite or a drama with more depth/sublety/realism. Instead it was just this - but thank God for that kitchen scene with the sister.

I actually saw this with 3 really conservative suburban types. One said at the end "I don't know if I like or this dislike this movie." To the others I asked "Did you like the main character, or dislike her?" - And there was a pause, and then: "I felt sorry for her." They thought she was crazy and hung on to the "big reveal" scene for an explanation (and to feel superior).

During the movie, I laughed at some of the Mavis lines and the final kitchen scene, while the suburban people I saw it with were silent.

by Anonymousreply 6601/02/2012

Loved this and Bad Teacher. Young Adult was better though. I didn't think of them as the same.

by Anonymousreply 6701/02/2012

If Mavis is in on the joke, the movie is bearable.

If she truly gains no insight or self-awareness at all, then the movie is unbearably tragic.

When I first saw it, I interpreted the ending this way: Mavis's reaction to all the sad events was to throw herself even further into her delusion-- "these events have taught me I'm just not like these people, and must return to my fabulous life in the city."

To me, the message of the movie is that most people live fairly pathetic existences.

Some of us tell ourselves we are "superior" because we live "exciting lives" in the city. yet we probably don't. (Shout out the DL NYC Queens here!)

Some of us tell ourselves we are superior because we have kids, even though that usually involves a lot of boredom and tedium and mediocrity.

But either way, most people live underachieving lives and most of us are pretty pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 6801/02/2012

the suburbanites weren't really shown as pathetic,though - they were shown as GOOD

I liked Charlize in it! (Of course he would have had an affair with her!)

by Anonymousreply 6901/02/2012

I thought the suburbanites were pretty pathetic.

The wife's friends were portrayed as uber-cunts (single mothers to boot-- snicker.)

The wife was pretty pathetic too, really. That forehead alone made me want to punch her in the face.

But Patrick Wilson's character was the most pathetic, of course. ("I work at the plant and eat lunch with my Dad every day, usually a sub but sometimes a pizza.")

It was all I could do not to slit my wrists.

by Anonymousreply 7001/02/2012

[quote] During the movie, I laughed at some of the Mavis lines and the final kitchen scene, while the suburban people I saw it with were silent.

I had the same experience, r66. I found myself laughing out loud at parts where most of the people around me were silent. A lot of it might have to do with how we "get" certain types of humor. The moments where she was shown at her most pathetic were sometimes comical to me, but to other people, they may have read it as "straight" pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 7101/02/2012

It's comical if you've been there.

It's "weird" if you haven't.

by Anonymousreply 7201/02/2012

yes, maybe that's it R72

I thought the suburbanites were pathetic but I wonder if the real suburbanites watching in the movie theater thought so - maybe that is why they were silent.

by Anonymousreply 7301/02/2012

I don't think there was enough depth to the suburbanites to determine whether they were "pathetic" or not. Seemed to me that Wilson and his wife were pretty happy together; were they delusional? Not enough evidence to determine that.

by Anonymousreply 7401/02/2012

Was Mavis an alcoholic?

by Anonymousreply 7501/02/2012

yes, the suburbanites, I think were presented as GOOD PEOPLE more than pathetic, but R70 brings up a good line: "I work at the plant and eat lunch with my Dad every day, usually a sub but sometimes a pizza." I think that can only be interpreted as a kind of small, very routine life. That might be the only line, though. In general, they were good, honest and sincere next to Mavis who was bad, screwed up, wrong (and city-independent,which suburbanites hate/fear).

I found the portrayal of suburbanites to be more fun/accurate in the films Little Children and Revolutionary Road.

by Anonymousreply 7601/02/2012

I might have mentioned this upthread, but to those who are talking about the portrayal of the suburbanites, especially the wife, the sister said it best in the last scene, "They don't give a shit what happens to them." Hence, the wife's non-reaction during the front yard scene. It's not that she was stand-offish or pathetic, it's just that she was neither. She just had no reaction, and kind of stood there in shock.

by Anonymousreply 7701/02/2012

Bad Teacher was a terrible, terrible movie with some inept directing, writing, and editing. If not for Jason Segel's character, I would've walked out.

Young Adult is an interesting though not completely successful film, but shot and written competently. Some parts in the movie are really good. Theron is pretty great in it. Oswalt and his sister are good too. I'm actually still on the fence on my feelings about it, but I've thought about it since I saw it, and I want to see it again on DVD. It seems like there's something underneath the surface that I'm missing. Not a lot of films can do that.

by Anonymousreply 7801/02/2012

Life is not fun for anyone after high school. Some are more naive than others.

by Anonymousreply 7901/02/2012

Young Adult is a terrible, terrible movie, too, r78. Diablo Cody CANNOT write to save her life.

She had two really talented actors - Theron and Oswalt - but they couldn't do much with the lousy dialogue they were given to act.

by Anonymousreply 8001/02/2012

I don't know about you, r70, but high school was HELL for me. My 20s were a blast, however.

by Anonymousreply 8101/02/2012

wha r15 said

by Anonymousreply 8201/03/2012

'When I first saw it, I interpreted the ending this way: Mavis's reaction to all the sad events was to throw herself even further into her delusion-- "these events have taught me I'm just not like these people, and must return to my fabulous life in the city."

That's exactly what I thought R68. I guess that's what I was trying to say whenever I said she didn't 'learn' anything. The problem wasn't her it was the idiots in the small town.

by Anonymousreply 8301/03/2012

I'd love to see Charlize win an award for this movie. Well deserved.

by Anonymousreply 8401/03/2012

This movie so didn't turn out the way I thought it would.

BTW Charlize plays the bitch part quite well, its almost chilling to watch

by Anonymousreply 8501/03/2012

[quote]My problem was with the relationship with Patton Oswalt's character Matt. There was no agreeable chemistry between them, as friends or otherwise. It didn't feel as though they were realistically reacting to each other in any of their scenes together. I appreciate that Oswalt didn't go over-the-top melodramatic, but I think it would be a shame for him to walk off with a nomination for this.

I think that was the point. Why would there be chemistry? They were just two lonely people using each other. They were never going to be friends let alone lovers. She couldn't even pity him, calling him "the hate crime guy". He used her as much as she used him .

by Anonymousreply 8601/03/2012

I liked Theron here, too, and I hope she gets a nomination over Swinton, whose performance in "We Need.." is also good, but I thought that movie was much much worse than "Young Adult."

by Anonymousreply 8701/04/2012

So...nobody knows.

Did she say "Cover me" or "Come to me" in the sex scene with Patton?

one indicates acknowledging her weakness.

The other that she still thinks she is desirable.

by Anonymousreply 8801/04/2012

"Young Adult" better than "We Need To Talk About Kevin"? Your credibility has just gone through the window...

by Anonymousreply 8901/04/2012

I don't think the movie was making a judgment about either Mavis or the suburbanites being "better" than the other. I think the whole point was that "better" is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes Mavis looked at the suburbanites and was jealous of how happy they were with their houses and babies and sometimes the suburbanites (like the sister) were jealous of Mavis's "glamorous and exciting" life in the city. But other times Mavis looked down on the babies and homes as shackles and the suburbanites looked at Mavis as lonely and with an empty life. The whole point was that neither way of life was better than the other; they both have their pros and cons and people will always feel jealous or feel superior depending on how they're feeling about their own life at the moment.

I do agree about the general lack of chemistry with the actors, but I think that was kind of the point. Mavis wasn't really drawn to Patton Oswalt's character. He was just in the right place at the right time. And I think Wilson's character was intentionally made to be nothing special. The point was that Mavis latched onto an idealized version of him and their relationship because she was unhappy with her life and needed a fantasy to keep her going.

As for the ending, Mavis is the type of constantly dissatisfied person who uses these bad experiences as a reason to feel sorry for herself and to justify shitty, selfish behavior ("But don't I deserve to be happy, even just for a little while?") and never actually learns anything or grows as a person. She's an emotionally stunted, perpetual "young adult." As the tagline says: "Everyone gets old. Not everyone grows up."

by Anonymousreply 9001/04/2012

Yes, "Young Adult" is better than "We Need To Talk Albout Kevin." The latter is a pretentious bore, horror film disguised as an "art" film. YA was at the very least engaging, funny, and thought provoking without banging it into yourface.

by Anonymousreply 9101/04/2012

It's interesting how many reviewers have interpreted the movie as "high school mean girl is pitied by her more fulfilled small-town classmates, and she is too pathetic to even realize it."

I do think Mavis is delusional, but not because she rejected life in small-town hickville.

Plus, why would former stripper Diablo Cody of all people portray the suburban frau breeder point of view as superior?

I doubt too many of these small-town characters would be friends with the chick who used to take her clothes off for money.

But then again, I'm not convinced Diablo Cody is terribly insightful or observant.

by Anonymousreply 9201/05/2012

R92 here.

I meant to add, I'd also distinguish between small-town people and suburbanites.

This movie was about small-town people, many of whom had seemingly never left the small town where they grew up.

That's a completely different crowd / mindset than the suburbanites typically portrayed (skewered?) in books and movies like "Little Children."

(I do realize I used the terms interchangeably at R92.)

by Anonymousreply 9301/05/2012

That is interesting, R92. And I agree it wasn't her leaving town that made her so deluded.

The screenplay wasn't perfect by far but amidst the chaos there were some interesting scenes and ideas. I thought the party monologue was horribly written and too obvious. The ending scene with Matt's sister also lacked subtlety and was a kind of a letdown. But I liked what Cody was trying to do most of the time and at least she tried something. I enjoyed this more than any other female centric movie of the year.

On a deadline.com article about potential best actress nominees, someone commented that Mavis could have been played by Cameron Diaz or Aniston. Maybe Diaz, but not nearly as well.

by Anonymousreply 9401/05/2012

those doughnuts are for gold card members only.

by Anonymousreply 9501/05/2012

The ones who hate this movie are the rabid Facebook fraus in their 30's and 40's who still think they can hook-up with their high school sweetheart and live happily ever after. An airhead girl I work with said her sister "walked out after 15 minutes".

Of course she did, dear; it's funny cuz it's true.

by Anonymousreply 9601/07/2012

Cameron is great.

by Anonymousreply 9701/07/2012

Bumping, because I finally saw it and loved it.

I thought Patrick Wilson was great as the dim but affable guy. When Charlize is talking about her "might have been" future, you know that it wouldn't have worked out, not for one minute.

Charlize is incredible.

by Anonymousreply 9802/26/2013

Finally saw this. Is it wrong that I relate to the Mavis character entirely!? I need help!

by Anonymousreply 9904/14/2013

I wanted to love this movie so badly, but couldn't. It falls apart in the third act. Juno was such a great picture and the television show US of Tara was good too, but this fell short for me because the third act featured the most contrived writing yet from Diablo Cody.

by Anonymousreply 10004/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.