Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Big Bang Theory", The Unfunniest Show On Television

How does this show get so many viewers? It must have hired the writers of "Full House". The dialogue is so embarrassing. It must be a family-friendly shitfest, which relies on test audiences.

by Anonymousreply 42901/20/2014

It's you, OP. We've been through this before.

by Anonymousreply 112/17/2011

Or you are simply not intelligent enough to grasp the humor. That or you can't hear the dialogue very well with you head so far up your ass.

by Anonymousreply 412/17/2011

OP is the creator of Cop Rock.

by Anonymousreply 512/17/2011

My money's on Penny punching Sheldon.

by Anonymousreply 712/17/2011

I'm with you, OP. Never watched this shit, never will.

by Anonymousreply 812/17/2011

How old are you people? It is not funny. It's as funny as threes company

by Anonymousreply 912/17/2011

Unwatchable because of the hideous cast.

by Anonymousreply 1012/17/2011

It's incredibly funny. One of the few shows that I actually laugh out loud to. Then again, I'm an engineer and have met people like those characters. Did you know that all the equations on the boards are real. They have a science advisor that provides them.

by Anonymousreply 1112/17/2011

Sort of like that 70s show, which I never found funny. Pus on Bbb, all the actors are waaaaaay too in on the joke of playing a weirdo

by Anonymousreply 1212/17/2011

R9 you write like a miserable person at any age.

You and OP are not the arbiters of what's funny. A sense of humour is relative.

If you don't get the wit, the intelligence and charm of the show, you have different tastes.

It doesn't make you right as to what's funny.

Next thing you know you'll be rattling off what you see as hilarious, or you'll lie and throw up classics you think everyone will agree with just to make you feel better for not getting the jokes or being able to laugh at it.

Critics love the show. t's an international hit, in multiple demographics.

What does that tell you?

It tells you it brings a lot of people laughs.

Why is that so hard for you to take? The fact that you have to shit on what other people like says a lot about you.

by Anonymousreply 1312/17/2011

My dad is a math and science geek--to the point where he hated the JJ Abrams remake of Star Trek because of its plot holes regarding time and space travel.

I don't care for TBBT, but my dad loves it. Among the praise he's heaped on the show: the writers clearly do their research when it comes to the science jargon.

by Anonymousreply 1412/17/2011

Op is just angry because of the Cougar Town debacle.

by Anonymousreply 1612/17/2011

I really enjoy this show, but now that it's in syndication it's getting stale for me. I've seen too much of it.

by Anonymousreply 1712/17/2011

It's lowest common denominator American tv,people

by Anonymousreply 1812/17/2011

It's a great show, deeply beloved by the nerds and others. My only criticism (and I've posted this before) is that poor Howard seems to be a character created by Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 1912/17/2011

You people have no taste

by Anonymousreply 2112/17/2011

Like almost all TV show today, Big Bang Theory is targeted at heterosexual women.

Few others will find this show of much interest.

by Anonymousreply 2212/17/2011

Family friendly???

I don't like any of Chuck Lorre's other shitcoms, but ever since this show changed its format to 3 guys/ 3 girls and dropped the tired Hot Girl & Nerds gimmick, it's been pretty damned funny. The actress who played Penny just wasn't cut out to be the sole female. The change in dynamic has allowed for the show to find more humor than "Penny is confused by the geeks".

by Anonymousreply 2312/17/2011

OP spends way to much time watching Keeping Up With the Kardasians

by Anonymousreply 2412/17/2011

I have the opposite reaction. I think the show jumped the shark years ago and is nowhere near as funny as it was BEFORE there were too many characters. Jim Parsons is phoning in his part, I think.

by Anonymousreply 2612/17/2011

I love when Blossom does a cameo.

by Anonymousreply 2712/17/2011

Blossom has been a regular the past two seasons.

by Anonymousreply 2812/17/2011

[quote]Like almost all TV show today, Big Bang Theory is targeted at heterosexual women.

Come on, Parsons is playing it Gay for all it's worth. He hits every stereotypical note playing a prissy control freak gay male. Penny is clearly their hag, and the Indian guy and the Jewish guy are so obviously a couple that a blind man could spot it.

Compared to most of the other crap out there (yes, I'm talking about Two Broke Girls), it's Masterpiece Theater.

by Anonymousreply 2912/17/2011

I hate Blalik's character. She adds nothing to the show. Just make Parson's character gay and be done with it.

by Anonymousreply 3012/17/2011

Those who dont find this a funny show could you please list shows that you consider funny.

by Anonymousreply 3112/17/2011

It's produced by the same guys who do Two & A Half Men, so it's a safe bet to assume its target audience is straight guys. This would also explain the presence of the hot blonde chick showing tits and nipples in every episode.

by Anonymousreply 3212/17/2011

This show is not bad or unfunny by any standard. In fact, its one of the best, most original sitcoms in the history of television.

Go back to your FRIENDS DVDs, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3312/17/2011

Uh R15, who's angry?

You're nuts.

Which is why you can't reason.

by Anonymousreply 3412/17/2011

The show is funny and the characters are adorable.

by Anonymousreply 3512/17/2011

[quote]Never watched this shit, never will.

How do you know it's shit, then?

by Anonymousreply 3612/17/2011

I don't get your post, OP. I find it hilarious, and I never found Full House funny. So I don't get your connection.

by Anonymousreply 3712/17/2011

[quote]it's a safe bet to assume its target audience is straight guys.

[quote] Big Bang Theory is targeted at heterosexual women.

Who are the advertisers? That will tell you what audience the show is targeted towards. There's a reason why Craftsman Tolls didn't advertise on Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 3812/17/2011

[quote]Those who dont find this a funny show could you please list shows that you consider funny.

I usually enjoy shows that get canceled right away.

by Anonymousreply 3912/17/2011

Good thought, r38. I just fast forwarded through an online episode at the CBS site and these were the advertisers:

Bank of America, Onstar, Verizon Android and Energizer.

I'm sticking with straight men.

by Anonymousreply 4012/17/2011

[quote]Those who dont find this a funny show could you please list shows that you consider funny.

I'll just start with shows currently airing that are much funnier: 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Community, Louis, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Portlandia, Modern Family.

I've watched a few episodes of Big Bang Theory over the years and never understood the appeal. It's nowhere near as smart or clever as it seems to think it is. Total hack work.

by Anonymousreply 4112/17/2011

by Anonymousreply 4212/17/2011

What about my show? It's quirky, offbeat, and hilariously edgy. The commercials even say so!

by Anonymousreply 4312/17/2011

They advertise maxi-pads and yogurt, during this show in Western NY State. So that is who watches it.

by Anonymousreply 4412/17/2011

That makes sense, r41. Those are all shows watched by people who fancy themselves clever, and generally demonstrate their attempt at cleverness by putting down things not deemed hip or trendy. On the other hand, The Big Bang Theory is enjoyed by people who don't have such a desperate need for acceptance, who lack pretension, and generally possess a bit more intellectual prowess.

by Anonymousreply 4512/17/2011

R40 You need to go a little further. All those advertisers offer something that is gender non-specific. Who were featured in those ads? Men or women? Is the Energizer ad one that shows how great their batteries are so mom can take lots of pictures at her daughters dance recital, or is it the one that shows firemen using them to keep their radios working, all the while explosions and fire balls screech across the screen? Same product, very different delivery. Also, on-line advertisers are not going to be the same as broadcast advertisers because on-line viewers are going to be a very different audience than those that only watch on television. Even more complicated is the local stations that run it in syndication will not have the same advertisers as the first run broadcast shows. I saw a Ram Truck ad with big burly he-men pulling lumber around run during an Ugly Betty re-run. It was then followed by a Clairol Nice and Easy spot. It makes no sense, other than the local stations will take money from anyone and run their ads anywhere they can.

by Anonymousreply 4612/17/2011

R45 = the definition of bitter.

by Anonymousreply 4712/17/2011

r46, they showed primarily large groups of what looked like college age men and women. They had the same feel as the movie The Social Network.

by Anonymousreply 4812/17/2011

Community is awful. Same with Parks & Rec.

by Anonymousreply 4912/17/2011

So, R45 is basically saying "No, you're dumb."

That's about the level of humor displayed on Big Bang Theory.

by Anonymousreply 5012/17/2011

[quote]Critics love the show. It's an international hit, in multiple demographics.

[quote]What does that tell you?

I like BBT somewhat, but no, just no to this argument.

DLers are the first ones to denounce critics and "hit" status if they DON'T like something that nevertheless is very popular. I read so often on DL how some popular music, movie, television show is just idiotic bullshit for the masses (of which, of course, DLers could NEVER be a part of). Yet, here the reason BBT is a good show is because "critics love it" and "it's a huge hit"? You're basically saying that mass popularity and critical acclaim is what makes something good, which goes against everything DL usually stands for.

by Anonymousreply 5112/17/2011

Very good, r50. Now back to the Parks and Recreation thread you go. I hear it's THE place to be this lovely Saturday afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 5212/17/2011

R41, good job. Now we get the level of your wit.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia? Louis?

O-kay.... Yikes.

And you think Parks & Recreation and 30 Rock are witty and not aimed at the masses...?

Modern Family is the only one of the bunch I think is funny.

Everyone has a different sense of humor. If only you could respect that, but no...

by Anonymousreply 5312/17/2011

The truth is, Big Bang Theory is for people with unsophisticated taste.

Which is fine, except when people (like many on this thread) want to elevate the show to something more than it is.

Here's a hint. If a show needs a laugh track to tell you when to giggle, it's a show made by and for idiots.

by Anonymousreply 5412/17/2011

R54, here's a test for you and your use of the word idiots.

You're posting on a thread about a show you claim not to like. Where's the sophistication and genius in that?

So kick back and watch Louis and enjoy yourself.

Or can't you see how ridiculously you write, as if you have the credentials to be a snob?

by Anonymousreply 5512/17/2011

R12? Clearly you have no sense of humor. Glad I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 5612/17/2011

by Anonymousreply 5712/17/2011

[quote]The truth is, Big Bang Theory is for people with unsophisticated taste.

Best audition I've ever seen. I'm thinking of forwarding it to the producers. They could cast you as the pretentious, ascot wearing twat who lives downstairs.

by Anonymousreply 5812/17/2011

This thread seems word for word to be an exact replica of the other thread from a couple months back...yet the dates are current on the posts.

I'm having brain freeze.

by Anonymousreply 5912/17/2011

[quote]I'm sticking with straight men.

Okay, but just so you know, that way lies blue balls and heartbreak.

by Anonymousreply 6012/17/2011

Its one of the few shows that I bought every season of on DVD.

I think the show is hilarious & I love it.

by Anonymousreply 6112/17/2011

It was funny until they brought the obnoxious, annoying, unfunny Amy on the show. I stopped watching it, because I just couldn't stomach her. I am okay with sexual jokes, but not overtly sexual, and all about Amy is sex, sex, sex. The show's first season constantly made sex jokes too, but not ALL THE TIME. Amy is all about sex. At least Penny had other jokes besides sex. Sorry, Amy is the most annoying character I have ever seen on the show. I just had to stop watching, because I basically didn't like her very much. I NEVER laughed of anything she did, the other characters on the other hand.. funny as hell. Amy was just incredibly awkward and painful to watch. Too bad she ruined it for me. Maybe I will start watching again if they give the actress playing Amy the boot. But now? No thanks. The show is dead to me since Amy became a part of the cast, and it will continue to be dead to me as long as she's a part of TBBT.

by Anonymousreply 6212/17/2011

Amy is the funniest.

by Anonymousreply 6312/17/2011

Beyond Scared Straight

by Anonymousreply 6412/17/2011

Chuck Lorre is a hack and this show is middlebrow faux-intelligent pablum that makes stupid people think they're smart, kind of like Newt Gingrich.

by Anonymousreply 6512/17/2011

Are you kidding? Amy Farafowler is one of the best comic inventions of this decade. The best since Sheldon!

by Anonymousreply 6712/17/2011

See, R66, it's about the characters and history. I would guess you'd get that since you don't watch the show (clearly).

by Anonymousreply 6812/17/2011

[quote]For the ridiculous fans of this abortion, head on over to Youtube and find us a hilarious clip from this show.

by Anonymousreply 6912/17/2011

I find it a bit curious that in a thread filled with people patting themselves on the back for being so intelligent, some of those same people are bashing "Louie."

Louis CK is one of the smartest and most thoughtful comics around today. Many episodes of "Louie" feel like minature Woody Allen films.

To someone falling over themselves to praise a CBS laugh-track comedy, "Louie" might not be to their taste. But to just dismiss it outright doesn't seem very wise to me.

Also, someone in this thread brought up the fallacy that "Big Bang Theory" is critically acclaimed. Could someone post some rave reviews of the show, from credible sources? I will post five rave "Louie" reviews for every one you can come up with.

by Anonymousreply 7012/17/2011

by Anonymousreply 7112/17/2011

Metacritic reviews

by Anonymousreply 7212/17/2011

If you don't know a nerd, or aren't a nerd, you probably dont "get" it.

Most of the humor is "recognition humor" as well as "reference humor". If you can't recognize the characters in your own life, and don't know the references, then you probably cannot possibly find it funny.

by Anonymousreply 7312/17/2011

neil degrasse tyson named BBT as one of his favorite shows. i'd match his intellectual acumen with any of the naysayers here.

by Anonymousreply 7412/17/2011

I'm not certain why people like r70 et al are threatened by the success of a show like The Big Bang Theory, yet for them to show up on a thread about it and challenge people to a review-off against their favorite comedian/show tells me that they most assuredly are threatened. Why would anyone be threatened by a show about scientists? The only answer I can come up with is that they are either very much anti-intellectual or they are very religious, though often enough the two go hand in hand. Calm down, guys. Nobody's trying to poke holes in your Sky Fairy dreams. We just really enjoy the show.

by Anonymousreply 7512/17/2011

It is not an intellectual show, R75. It's a stupid person's idea of intellectual. The comedy is not smart, even if the characters are supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 7612/17/2011

I like the show, but they're doing too many focused situation on Sheldon. I think this is costing viewers. Sheldon is a fine character, but he's not of primary interest. It is better when the show is more evenly written on all cast members.

by Anonymousreply 7712/17/2011

What is your education level and in what field do you currently work, r76? I'm genuinely curious.

by Anonymousreply 7812/17/2011

One of the best:

Leonard Nimoy Napkin.

by Anonymousreply 7912/17/2011

by Anonymousreply 8012/17/2011

Oh come on, laugh a little. It's not Puccini but it has its merits.

by Anonymousreply 8112/17/2011

r. 74 But what does Mike Tyson think of "Big Bang Theory"?

by Anonymousreply 8212/17/2011

R77, how is it costing them viewers? Especially in the demo, it's one of the highest-rated shows on TV and scored a record fee in syndication.

by Anonymousreply 8312/17/2011

Internet kissing:

by Anonymousreply 8412/17/2011

Stoned in the desert:

by Anonymousreply 8512/17/2011

Wow I couldn't get a minute or two into those painful clips. If those are the best this thing's got to offer you'd best give up trying, that is some deeply unfunny business.

by Anonymousreply 8812/17/2011

Nobody cares about Louis CK on this thread r86, except for you. Please explain why you think The Big Bang Theory is for "stupid" people. I'm curious. Beyond declaringing "it's for dumb people!" nobody is willing to explain why they believe that to be true. Making a declaratory statement without bothering to offer any sort of explanation behind it, or at least an example illustrating such, is not exactly a convincing argument.

by Anonymousreply 8912/17/2011

Pardon me for appearing to veer off-topic for a moment but would you happen to be a very fat woman who makes very little money doing a job she hates, Louis troll? I'll explain why I think so after your reply. Please try and be honest (anything over 200 lbs is considered very fat unless you are over 6 ft tall).

by Anonymousreply 9012/17/2011

How can BBT be the "unfunniest show" when it's right before "Rules of Engagement" which is surely a candidate for that honor?

by Anonymousreply 9112/17/2011

Something doesn't have to be a groundbreaking work of art to be enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 9212/17/2011

I didn't really dislike it or like it at first. In fact I never even saw it, until it starting running in syndication all the fucking time where I live.

Not a nerd or a tech geek, so maybe I miss some references, but I'll casually watch it here and there and, though I don't love it and probably wouldn't buy DVDS, I generally think it's pretty funny and well written.

by Anonymousreply 9312/17/2011

Couldn't the trolls at least pick a topic that offers something fertile for shredding? This way, all we have is the gape in what should be their minds, and there's only so much you can say about the bad smell coming from a foul vent.

by Anonymousreply 9412/17/2011

[quote]Not a nerd or a tech geek, so maybe I miss some references

Honey, everyone misses some references. That's the joke. The audience is Penny, who most of the time has absolutely no idea what they are talking about and it's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 9512/17/2011

God, what an asswipe you are, R54. So you don't like it. Unless you're Charlie Sheen, fired by Chuck Lorre, what the fuck is your problem that you think it's important to denigrate those who do? You're just a pretentious twat who thinks what you like is better. Doesn't make it so.

R60, your post is the only reason to read this thread.

by Anonymousreply 9612/17/2011

There are a LOT of shows that are "unfunnier" than BBT.

American Horror Story for one.

by Anonymousreply 9712/17/2011

You BBT superfans here need to realize you are the ones here defending the honor of this show. People in this thread who think BBT is terrible aren't trolls, they are agreeing with OP.

Here is why I can't stand this show. Most dreck I simply ignore, and that includes shows that would match several of my complaints below. It's just BBT hits them all.

First off, it's the form. It's an old-fashioned, laugh-track sitcom. It's dead, people. In 10 years, it'll be as extinct from primetime as westerns.

But even for an old-fashioned sitcom, this one isn't exceptional in any way. It's as boring and ordinary and unchallenging as they come. It's what's showing in the waiting room while you get your oil changed.

Yes, perhaps it does accurately depict some sub-set of nerds. That's great, but beyond that, it's still just cartoon characters yelling one-liners at each other, with a laugh-track instructing people where the jokes are. It's all surface.

And if people want to settle for that, fine. Someone like R93, that's totally cool. It's these insane people who want to proclaim that this is some ground-breaking, highly intellectual masterpiece - those are the ones I don't like.

There are much better nerds on TV, too, even on network primetime. "Community" is hilarious and has some of the best nerds ever on TV (Abed, Troy and Annie). It's a weird, risk-taking show that struggles in the ratings, while BBT floats by recycling the same stories, delivered by dead-eyed actors who stopped caring years ago.

I get the sense the people who are so passionate in their love for the show simply don't have the interest to dig any deeper than network primetime. They're the reason shows like BBT hang around.

by Anonymousreply 9812/17/2011

(Rolling eyes at R98)

Jesus Christ, you put way more effort into hating this show than I do to simply enjoying it as it is for what it is.

by Anonymousreply 9912/17/2011

I had to be talked into watching it because I'd given up on sit-coms, but it's okay. I don't get upset if I miss it, but I watch it if I'm in the mood and it's on. It's a nice break from the "fat shlub with the shrew for a wife" sit-com formula.

by Anonymousreply 10012/17/2011

R98 perhaps you did not read the title of this thread "The unfunniest show on television". Now you better rethink what you just have written.

by Anonymousreply 10112/17/2011

OK, OCD kook at R98. Let's go ahead and review your supposed critique. Do you have the stomach for it? I ask because you didn't have the brain for a critique? Point by point then:

1. Declaring you don't like something because it has an "old-fashioned" form is just a declaration of opinion. Good for you. You have an opinion. But let's look closer. You don't like a show because its form so upsets you you can't see other value the show may have. Hmm. That's mere bias, dear. Also, not liking something because it will not be on in 10 years is ridiculous, whether you're talking about a show or a genre or a format. So what?

2. "It's as boring and ordinary and unchallenging as they come." Yes, identical to all the other university-plotted, geek-driven shows with STEM content wrapped around an Asberger's character that have very funny scripts and characters. You're arguing with unfounded adjectives. That's silly.

3. Blah blah blah and it's all surface. What? Again, you seem to be watching a show that is in your head and arguing for argument's sake, rather than paying attention to the characters, plots, story lines and very funny exchanges that occur. You don't like simple sitcoms? Great. This has more than the usual. Also, laugh tracks do not tell audiences where to laugh. You really have a thing about that, don't you?

4. So you don't like people who declare it a masterpiece. Well, honey, since you're their antithesis, you're the pepper to their salt. The great majority of us who just enjoy the show and don't feel the need to savage it with witless tripe that betrays our lack of critical skills feel fine with fans being silly. I've lived through Madonna for what feels like a century.

But by overstepping you undermine your claims to being able to tell bad from good, because in the end you show you don't know how to describe anything in a substantive way.

So take a pill and change YOUR channel. Or learn to think and write and come back some time.

by Anonymousreply 10212/17/2011

This is my all-time favorite scene:

by Anonymousreply 10312/17/2011

Thanks R103 Wheaton!!

I think TBBT is well written and executed. It's a throwback to older sitcoms in some respects, but the "laugh track" isn't canned, it's filmed before a studio audience. The laughs and other reactions are real.

by Anonymousreply 10412/17/2011

OP, you're not the only one who finds this show unfunny. I think it sucks too. And that girl from that show "Blossom" is fugly to look at.

by Anonymousreply 10512/17/2011

[quote]the "laugh track" isn't canned, it's filmed before a studio audience. The laughs and other reactions are real.

It's sweetened.

You want to see how an actual audience reacts, watch SNL.

The idea that people laugh uproariously every minute or two is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 10612/17/2011

TBBT is a lot more funny than SNL is now.

by Anonymousreply 10712/17/2011

Greek food.

by Anonymousreply 10812/17/2011

Here's BBT minus the laugh tracks...

by Anonymousreply 10912/17/2011

Here's another BBT video were they edit out the the Laughte Track and added a Faster Paced like those shows those current shows on tv.

by Anonymousreply 11012/17/2011

[quote]Why would anyone be threatened by a show about scientists? The only answer I can come up with is that they are either very much anti-intellectual or they are very religious, though often enough the two go hand in hand.

Bitch, please.

by Anonymousreply 11112/18/2011

r111's trite response just proved the point of the poster he quoted.

by Anonymousreply 11212/18/2011

Unfunny perhaps but unfunniest, really OP? R105 you too and others who agree with him/her did not read the title of this thread!

by Anonymousreply 11312/18/2011

[quote]Here's a hint. If a show needs a laugh track to tell you when to giggle, it's a show made by and for idiots.

I'll inform the creators of M*A*S*H*.

by Anonymousreply 11412/18/2011

[quote]Never watched this shit, never will.

Well that certainly makes YOU an expert on this particular show doesn't it? At least on DL it does.

by Anonymousreply 11512/18/2011

>>with STEM content wrapped around an Asberger's character

Have they ever said outright that Parsons' character has Asperger's? He seems more OCD, to me.

by Anonymousreply 11612/18/2011

And I think he's adorable, fwiw.

by Anonymousreply 11712/18/2011

I could live without the Blossom character. She's tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 11812/18/2011

Best Theme song since The Nanny. An honest to goodness theme song, a dying art."They froze their asses off!"

by Anonymousreply 11912/18/2011

"Come on, Parsons is playing it Gay for all it's worth. He hits every stereotypical note playing a prissy control freak gay male."

The control-freakery is written into the script, it's not his doing.

The campness comes from Jim's own personality and is actually reduced for the character, most viewers don't even notice it.

by Anonymousreply 12012/18/2011

It's very common to have both AS and OCD.

Sheldon meets a higher proportion of the criteria for Asperger's than you actually need to meet to be diagnosed, in fact he has retained far more glaring traits than most non-learning disabled Aspies of his age do. Most without a comorbid learning disability might have conversations like his as children or adolescents, and manage to blend in much better than he does by his age.

That's not to say there aren't any real autistic adults quite like him; there are some of genius-level IQ who lag behind less gifted Aspies in learning social skills, in fact a disproportionate number of Maths and Physics PHd holders are in this category and have worse social skills than some of the people I've interacted with in AS groups who are obviously learning disabled as well as autistic.

The writers can never admit this because it would saddle them with increased responsibility and scrutiny in their writing.

Lots of people with AS have OCD as well and he might do but his compulsions don't obviously have a negative impact on his life as it would have to for him to be diagnosed.

by Anonymousreply 12112/18/2011

It all started with Gore Vidal:

By Katie Aberbach Posted on July 07, 2011

Bruce Alan Rauscher in a Visit to a Small PlanetGore Vidal’s 1956 play “A Visit to a Small Planet” might not be familiar, but its plot and characters have been ubiquitous in sci-fi pop culture for the past half-century.

“I can name two ‘Star Trek’ episodes that are direct steals from this script, and there are [scenes] from ‘Alf’ and ‘Third Rock From the Sun’ that were also steals from this script,” says Rip Claassen, director of American Century Theater’s production of “Small Planet.” “The whole premise of ‘My Favorite Martian’ was a direct steal. It’s amazing that the script has been largely forgotten,” he says, “considering how major an influence it’s been on our culture.”

Originally produced as a television play and reworked for Broadway in the mid 1950s, “Small Planet” is a familiar tale indeed: A creature in a UFO lands in suburban America and makes contact with humans in a hilarious culture clash — particularly when the alien tries to blend in.

In this production, Kreton, an alien from an intellectually superior planet, lands in Manassas, Va., in 1958, dressed for and intending to watch the Battle of Bull Run. Disappointed by his error in time travel but still curious about 20th-century earthlings, Kreton (Bruce Alan Rauscher) stays and gets to know the bureaucratic General Tom Powers (John Tweel) and the average but accommodating Spelding family. Then, for his own enjoyment, he decides to trigger a war.

Unlike many extraterrestrial characters in pop culture, Kreton is more funny than fearsome. And as a bona fide “alien observer,” he’s an apt critic of our culture.

“It’s easier to laugh at someone else’s look at our society, pointing out the things that are so obnoxious, stupid and not thoughtful that we cling to,” says Claassen, who has been a fan of the play since he first read it at age 14 in 1976. “If an alien criticizes it, we can laugh. If we criticize it ourselves, it’s not so easy.”

BACKSTORY “A Visit to a Small Planet” includes an important feline character: Rosemary Spelding. “Rosemary is Kreton’s confidant. Batman has his Robin; Kreton has his Rosemary,” director Rip Claassen says.

(In the examples cited in the article, the alien was physically from another world. In TBBT, Sheldon is emotionally alien, with the same innocent literalness from which much of his humor stems.)

by Anonymousreply 12212/18/2011

So this is a show too cowardly to make one of its characters openly gay?

by Anonymousreply 12312/18/2011

Big bang is merely a rather amusing lowest common denominator sitcom. Enjoy it for what it is and don't get your knickers in a knot cause it aint Arrested Development.

by Anonymousreply 12412/18/2011

R125 it wasnt a flop. It failed because Fox kept moving it around and never kept it in the same time slot, so it never developed a steady audience. It won a bunch of Emmys, some Golden Globes, the DVDs sold out in record time. Fox is bringing it back and making a feature film out of it as well. Doesn't sound like a flop to me.

Now run along, I hear there are some reruns of Full House on and we know you don't want to miss that.

by Anonymousreply 12612/18/2011

Raj and Howard act like an old gay couple.

by Anonymousreply 12712/18/2011

[quote]t wasnt a flop. It failed because Fox kept moving it around and never kept it in the same time slot, so it never developed a steady audience.

Well Dear, which is it? A flop or in your words a failure?

by Anonymousreply 12812/18/2011

R128, Arrested Development is one of the most critically acclaimed sitcoms of all time.

It's coming back for a fourth season, with a feature film possibly to follow.

That seems like a success to me.

by Anonymousreply 12912/19/2011

I've seen a few episodes and the humor is mediocre. It's standard sitcom stuff wrapped in science vernacular.

The equations being real is nothing more than a nice detail. It adds nothing to the show's intelligence or humor as the mechanics of the equations never detail into the plot.

The reason someone would call it the unfunniest show is because it's mediocre, but has a large following who love it for it's supposed intelligence.

Anyone who champions Modern Family over this needs a hard look in the mirror. Both shows are average for television.

Arrested Development wasn't lowbrow (maybe upper-middle brow?) and was incredibly scripted with some amazing performances. It didn't make it for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with the quality (except maybe that some jokes were too dense and required knowledge from other episodes, leaving new or distracted viewers out).

Curb Your Enthusiasm is probably the only Great sitcom still producing episodes. I do like 30 rock and Parks and Rec, but they're just a few notches above the rest of the crap.

Tl;dr: Quit pretending any of this shit isn't mediocre humor by committee meant to sell ad time.

by Anonymousreply 13012/19/2011

Arrested Development is one of the funniest all time sitcoms ever.

Big Bang Theory is amusing, but it'll be a footnote in comedy history.

by Anonymousreply 13112/19/2011

Arrested Development was a brilliant television show. Unfortunately it was a little too smart and much of it went over the heads of R125 and many like him. The ratings suffered because of this. The majority of Americans don't want their entertainment to make them think.

by Anonymousreply 13212/19/2011

Many viewers are under no illusion that it's well written and don't watch it to make themselves feel more intelligent. If I needed to reassure myself I was smart I would in fact turn it off, it's a guilty pleasure for me.

I watch it mainly because I find the characters endearing and more similar to some actual geniuses (not just ordinary nerds) than many people realise, because Sheldon and Howard are cute, for the occasional joke I find very funny, and because it's usually peppered with science facts and definitions I can learn or be reminded of and then investigate if interesting. I absolutely recognise the writing as lazy.

by Anonymousreply 13312/19/2011

[quote]Raj and Howard act like an old gay couple.

Duh. Why do you think Leonard's mother said they had "an ersatz homosexual relationship"? That's the joke...that they are a gay couple but don't know it. Did you see them kissing each other (with tongue) via that contraption Howard had invented?

by Anonymousreply 13412/19/2011

Totally disagree.....BBT is one of the few shows on television that still makes me laugh, now that Two and a Half Men has not only met the shark, but jumped over it with a resounding THUD!

by Anonymousreply 13512/19/2011

Does someone start these threads, simply because they want the fans to come out and praise them?

by Anonymousreply 13612/19/2011

Oh Jesus Tapdancing Christ R137 - you and that tired Two & A half Men meme. I know you think it's a clever cut down, but it's as tired as your non-stop posts bitching about TV shows you think are beneath you.

Run along now. There a new Real Housewives episode running somewhere and you're missing it.

by Anonymousreply 13812/19/2011

im a nerd and work in the arts and i want a one night stand with Sheldon, im pretty sure he is hung since he is tall and from Texas where everything is bigger!

by Anonymousreply 13912/19/2011

R138, did you even read R135?

by Anonymousreply 14012/19/2011

R137, your indictment of the viewing audience of BBT wouldn't be any less obnoxious in a class of eltitist snobs in a reading circle, but it's pretty fucking ridiculous coming from someone dishing about sophistication in Datalounge, of all places.

P.S. I'm not a fan of Two and a Half Men at all and love Big Bang. So apart from being a snob, you're also wrong.

by Anonymousreply 14112/20/2011

comedy by numbers

by Anonymousreply 14212/20/2011

I have always thought the term "haters" was lame and childish, mostly because it seemed aimed at me anytime I wrote something negative about someone's entertainment idol.

But the people returning to this thread to dig up the horse, fuck it, and leave it out in the open to rot are best described that way. What's behind the need to put down something that many times just because you don't like it? It seems to stem from insecurity masquerading as disdain. If you know you're smart and have good taste, you don't worry about whether everyone likes the same thing you do.

I would never suggest that DL be a fan site for any show. But people who just pile on to insult not only a show but also all the anonymous viewers who like it sound like, well, haters.

Also like playground bullies. You want to pity them, but you wind up hating them.

by Anonymousreply 14312/21/2011

The show is frickin' A hilarious. Sheldon is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 14412/29/2011

Alluding to smart things is not the same as being smart, as "Arrested Development" was.

by Anonymousreply 14512/29/2011

R145, do tell us how "smart" it is to come back to a thread to trash a show you don't like or find amusing.

And by the way, "Arrested Development" by definition was not about anything intellgent. Do you even understand the title? Did you even watch the show?

You need therapy, R145. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 14612/29/2011

I like Big Bang Theory.

When I don't like a show, I do not watch it, speak of it, or think of it.

by Anonymousreply 14712/29/2011

by Anonymousreply 14812/29/2011

I can't believe how they play "David" like he's so freaking irresistible to women. First he's dating the girl from across the hall, really? Then the, Indian (?) guy's sister sleeps with him? If I were in their make believe universe he'd be the last of the group that I'd choose.

by Anonymousreply 15012/29/2011

Listen, r145, you analrapist, what is your deal? I enjoyed Arrested Development and enjoy TBBT. I don't know that I would call either of the shows smart. I am an AD fan, but the show is pretty silly with great supporting players that elevate the material.

by Anonymousreply 15112/29/2011

I cannot stand the bloody canned laughter after every line spoken (and they are not even funny).

by Anonymousreply 15212/29/2011

There has never been anything on tv that was less funny than the current season of The Office and Community. Both are completely humor-free.

by Anonymousreply 15312/29/2011

I totally agree, r150. It seems more deranged than just about anything else in the show.

by Anonymousreply 15412/29/2011

It's the Writers, R150 and R154. They never dated comely blonde farm girls or sultry Indian gals, or cheerful WASP doctors, so Leonard has to date them.

That is why they got their fathers to get them into The Writers' Guild.

by Anonymousreply 15512/29/2011

I assume this thread exists because the OP doesn't appreciate the depiction of comic store clerks in the show. It cuts too close to the bone.

by Anonymousreply 15612/30/2011

I think the comic book store guy is dead on -- an art major sadly trying to make a living...

by Anonymousreply 15712/30/2011

I think that people who want to think they're intelligent watch it and tell people that they do. I'm an astrophysics major and IMHO most of what they say is a) predictable an b) inaccurate because it has been put into layman's terms. Truly intelligent people don't vegetate in front of their television to watch lame faux sci-fi sitcoms with HORRIBLE laugh tracks. Get over yourselves and get some perspective.

by Anonymousreply 15804/09/2012

I like the show. It's nice entertainment and I like how it alludes that geeks are just as campy as gays (just replace Babs with Stephen Hawking).

by Anonymousreply 15904/09/2012

It was funny year one. It was funnier year two (Especially Leslie Winkle) then it declined in year three. By year four it became a caricature of itself. Sheldon went from being funny to the "Fonzie" Of the show. The on and off again of Penny and Leonard was done to death. It barely worked with Sam and Diane and it hasn't worked with anyone since.

by Anonymousreply 16004/09/2012

I can't pick up CBS on my TV so have yet to see the current season, but I really enjoy the episodes in syndication.

by Anonymousreply 16104/09/2012

What do you like, Chutney? You're always bitching about something. Do you like anything? Or are we just supposed to worship at the Chutney Altar?

by Anonymousreply 16204/09/2012

Love Laurie Metcalf as Sheldon's mom. She does the impossible...makes me like a religious nut.

by Anonymousreply 16304/09/2012

Sheldon's relationship with food is something I've seen in many men of science, and in the spoiled sons of most cultures

by Anonymousreply 16404/10/2012

I watch it, but I'm in the UK, so it's that or nothing. It's OK. But there is no good comedy on TV, BBT is the best of a bad bunch. Family Guy & South Park are utter shit beyond total shit and The Simpsons is just embarrassing now.

British comedy is fucked beyond rescue, I think all comedy is.

by Anonymousreply 16504/10/2012

I love the episode where Sheldon went back to his mom and (in order to get him to leave with his friends?) she mentions that from now on he is reduced to teach local children Creationism. That look on Sheldon's face was priceless (and afterward he couldn't get out of there fast enough).

by Anonymousreply 16604/10/2012

Curb your Enthusiasm? Really.

...I find it to be one of the most annoying bits of shit ever put on tv.

by Anonymousreply 16704/10/2012

I LOVE this show - tough titty, OP!

by Anonymousreply 16804/10/2012

I can't stand to watch even the previews of that show. That queenie character is not funny and perpetuating the very gay stereotype gay men are trying to get away from. Embarassing.

by Anonymousreply 16904/13/2012

there is a part where sheldon says the bet number is 73 cause if you divide it by 3 you get 21 and if you divide that, it will be 7 and 3 which make up 73. but actually 73 divided by 3 is 24.33333333333333

by Anonymousreply 17011/15/2012

but what can i say. but as Rajesh would say "it's hilarious"

by Anonymousreply 17111/15/2012

Like any show it wears thin after four years.

by Anonymousreply 17211/15/2012

New episode in an hour!!

by Anonymousreply 17311/15/2012

I love this show!

by Anonymousreply 17411/15/2012

If there is a stereotype involved, it's far more about Aspergers.

by Anonymousreply 17511/15/2012

I know a 60 year old virgin who is a physicist. He likes women, but has never even gone on a date. He can sing the national anthem of every country on earth in that country's language.

A friend's former husband was a physicist (that's how I got to meet a bunch of physicists) and he actually had marble composition notebooks in which he took notes during every episode of Star Trek in the 1960s.

A lot of the "jokes" about physicists in this show are real.

by Anonymousreply 17611/15/2012

R170, he said no such thing. Here's the clip.

by Anonymousreply 17711/15/2012

R176, How does the 60 year old virgin feel about that? Is he like a Sheldon where he doesn't care? Or is he super socially awkward?

by Anonymousreply 17811/15/2012

He's not socially awkward. He's what I would call weird. He is a very, very nice person. But weird. I don't see how anyone could date him.

by Anonymousreply 17911/15/2012

Who the fuck cares what you think, OP. If you have never watched the show how can you comment on it, r8? It's funny and original. It's also the highest rated show on TBS. Sheldon is as original a character as Lucy, Diane Chambers or Ralph Kramden. You know nothing about funny. Go back to watching the Kardashians, the lot of you.

by Anonymousreply 18011/15/2012

It used to be hilarious but it is starting to jump the shark. This should be its' last season but I bet it will continue.

by Anonymousreply 18111/15/2012

Who the fuck cares what you think, OP. How can you comment on a television show you never watch, R8? The show is funny and origiinal. Sheldon is as iconic a character as Lucy, Diane Chambers or Ralph Kramden. You know nothing about funny. Go back to watching the Kardashians.

by Anonymousreply 18211/15/2012

I can't believe that so many people have such strong feelings about this show, either positive or negative.

by Anonymousreply 18311/15/2012

The Big Bang Theory is taped before a live audience, r54. Can you just shut up now?

by Anonymousreply 18411/15/2012

Thank you, OP. I thought it was just me.

by Anonymousreply 18511/15/2012

I like tonights episode :D

by Anonymousreply 18611/15/2012

First of all, nothing is worse than 2.5 Men.

BBT is odd for me. I think it's terrible and unfunny, but at the same time, very watchable. I like the idea of a comedy about really smart people, I just wish it were funny.

by Anonymousreply 18711/15/2012

This is show is so UNfunny, that it is actually painful.

I have no idea why it has a viewership, either.

by Anonymousreply 18811/16/2012

R180, you sound a thousand years old.

And R184, sweetie, canned laughter is used all the time to augment those live studio audiences. Come on, now.

by Anonymousreply 18911/16/2012

Too much sex in this show for what it is. The boys can have a charming dynamic, but I can't tolerate it for more than one episode at a time, whilst doing something else.

by Anonymousreply 19011/16/2012

[quote]The Big Bang Theory is taped before a live audience,

So what? ALL SHOW,and I mean ALL shows use laugh tracks, well those which have laugh tracks that is.

Think about it, when the audience laughs and the take is messed up, the second time around the audience will not laugh as hard. So the crew simply takes the laughs from the first take and inserts it.

Sometimes the audience will be distracted by cameramen and lighting crews doing advanced, yet interesting technical things, and they miss the jokes. So the shows editors put the laughs back in.

So yes even live shows use laugh tracks to "sweeten" as Lucille Ball used to say, the comedy moments.

by Anonymousreply 19111/16/2012

I was in a taping for a pilot sitcom that was never picked up. The amount of audience coaching that goes on is crazy. They not only instruct you on the proper way to clap, but they instruct you on when and how to laugh and for how long....

by Anonymousreply 19211/18/2012

by Anonymousreply 19311/18/2012

I'm surprised all the brilliant people on this thread who know exactly what makes a hilariously funny sitcom haven't gotten out of their mother's basements yet to create them.

by Anonymousreply 19411/18/2012

[quote]ALL shows use laugh tracks, well those which have laugh tracks that is.

OMG! You are like so smart R191.

by Anonymousreply 19511/18/2012

I wouldn't say it's unfunny at all.

by Anonymousreply 19611/18/2012

Watching It seems to give stupid people the illusion that they're smart.

by Anonymousreply 19711/18/2012

Sneering at it seems to give humorless people the illusion that they are the elite.

by Anonymousreply 19811/18/2012

America wants laugh-track sitcoms. Check the ratings if you don't believe me. Modern Family is the only hit sitcom without one and its nowhere near as successful as tbbt and the other Chuck Lorre shows on CBS.

r197 no, that's NBC's entire comedy lineup.

by Anonymousreply 19911/18/2012

There are far worse sitcoms around but a little bit of it goes a long way. It suffers from the same thing that ails all Chuck Lorre sitcoms: variations of the same or similar joke get repeated for 22 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 20011/18/2012

[quote]It must be a family-friendly shitfest, which relies on test audiences.

It's not family-friendly AT ALL, you dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 20111/18/2012

"ALL SHOW,and I mean ALL shows use laugh tracks, well those which have laugh tracks that is."

This is a big bang theory fan. Oh, oh, and did you know the equations are real?! That's what makes good comedy: equations.

by Anonymousreply 20211/18/2012

Omg! Nerds! They are hilarious!!!

Not as bad as Broke Girls, but surprised this thing is a hit.

by Anonymousreply 20311/18/2012

[quote]Oh, oh, and did you know the equations are real?!

But are they correct? Dumbass

by Anonymousreply 20411/18/2012

It's corny, stupid and not funny..kinda like the tweets that make it too the leader board.

by Anonymousreply 20511/18/2012

by Anonymousreply 20611/18/2012

The thing that's hilarious (or creepy) about the show is how often the nerds' show symptoms of ASPD (Antisocial personality disorder). Specifically, I'm always amazed how they can reference killing someone without even a hint of irony.

I listen to a podcast and a screenwriter made a pretty good observation about this show. Take away the laugh track and it's like a show about serial killers. Think about it. For instance, Sheldon casually and seriously saying he could poison Kripke and that there are toxic chemicals that would be untraceable in an autopsy.

I'm a fan btw.

by Anonymousreply 20711/19/2012

Utter shite.

by Anonymousreply 20811/19/2012

Only idiots and eldergays watch sitcoms with laugh tracks.

by Anonymousreply 20911/19/2012

R209 - almost all of the comedies from the 60s to 90s had laugh tracks.

by Anonymousreply 21011/19/2012

R209= moron who thinks "eldergay" is a clever insult. You sound like a bad sitcom. And I'm guessing you're around 43 years old, 300 pounds, and still waiting for "Green Acres" DVD boxsets to go on sale.

by Anonymousreply 21111/19/2012

R211, I have no idea what Green Acres is. I'm not 100 years old like most of you.

by Anonymousreply 21211/19/2012

No, only shitcoms did, r210. The only old laugh-track sitcom I still like is Bewitched, but it usually wasn't that funny, I like it for the childhood nostalgia. All the other old sitcoms I like, like MTM, had a live audience.

by Anonymousreply 21311/19/2012

R209 - what comedies are there other than sitcoms?

by Anonymousreply 21411/19/2012

R214, there are plenty of sitcoms without laugh tracks. The Simpsons, for one.

by Anonymousreply 21511/19/2012

"Car Wars" was one of the best episodes of the entire series.

by Anonymousreply 21612/01/2012

My dad initially didn't get it. My dad initially had the same opinion as OP.

Last time he visited, he talked about how much he loved the show now.

For some people, it just takes a while to 'get it' I guess.

It's a great show.

by Anonymousreply 21712/01/2012

by Anonymousreply 21812/01/2012

Car Wars aka The One Where Amy Shows Sheldon Her Newly Waxed and Brutalized Beaver.

by Anonymousreply 21912/04/2012

"They don't usually have to go out and get more wax".

by Anonymousreply 22012/04/2012

OMFG Sheldon and Amy finally out-did their famous tiara scene. That was one of the funniest things I've seen on Merican TV.

by Anonymousreply 22112/06/2012

Amy as Maid of Honor.

by Anonymousreply 22212/06/2012

[post by racist shit-stain # 2 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 22312/06/2012

I'm uncomfortable with Amy's sexual exploitation of someone with Aspergers. It was like watching the molestation of a child.

by Anonymousreply 22412/06/2012

You have issues, R224.

by Anonymousreply 22512/06/2012

I'm an aspie, R224, and I thought it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 22612/06/2012

R224: are you not getting that Amy doesn't exactly have much in the way of social skills either? She's in no position to make fun of anyone else and..................she knows it.

PS: Was Xmas shopping this past weekend and saw rhinestone tiaras in a store and could only thing of Amy.

by Anonymousreply 22712/06/2012

I have to say this season seems to be jumpining the shark.

We need less Amy and Bernadette and more of the original leads.

by Anonymousreply 22812/06/2012

Melissa and Mayim add a great deal to the show.

by Anonymousreply 22912/07/2012

"Are you saying you want to spank me?" and the look on her face (and clueless Sheldon) was pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 23112/07/2012

but the gay Indian guy is hot!

by Anonymousreply 23312/12/2012

[quote]Whoever first said big bang theory is not funny. your a

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 23412/12/2012

They destroyed the show, in my opinion, by bringing in that unfunny, irritating Blossom chick because of course Sheldon just HAD to have a female counterpart.

by Anonymousreply 23512/12/2012

what kind of sad lives do people have to have to hate a show and watch it so that they can piss on it... just stop watching ....

Howard in space has been hilarious.... and if you didn't find Leonard wooing Penny with science well done, you're beyond not getting it.

by Anonymousreply 23612/12/2012

Like the universe the show expands. No show would survive by staying the same, having the same jokes over and over again, and having the same characters do the same thing over and over again.

In my opinion the addition of the women like Bernadette and Amy works.

by Anonymousreply 23712/12/2012

I've never watched this show, so I don't really give a shit about it either way; but I must say, this shows most ardent defenders come off as whiny and incredibly insecure.

by Anonymousreply 23812/12/2012

LOVE people who start a comment with "I've never seen this, but..." and then pass judgment.

by Anonymousreply 23912/12/2012

Oh my, R232 proves that BBT attracts the sharpest, wittiest folks out there.

by Anonymousreply 24012/12/2012

R207, those statements look to me less like symptoms of a personality disorder than like hyperbole. On bad days, I can make statements or have thoughts like that and it is sheer exaggeration. Plus, Sheldon is on the autism spectrum anyway, so social appropriateness has never been his strong suit.

by Anonymousreply 24112/12/2012

R217, I'm like your father. I don't watch comedies and was turned off when surfing and landed on a monologue of Sheldon's. But then I watched a few shows, for some reason, and loved it. It makes me laugh out loud at times. It is still the only comedy I watch.

by Anonymousreply 24212/12/2012

Totally agree R239 but I dont love them!

by Anonymousreply 24312/12/2012

Yes it is unfunny sadly though becase they have an immigrant comedian a gay comedian a female comedian a funny comedian. So because of this line up and the fact that theres only 1 of each except for the female type the show is natrally unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 24403/08/2013

Referencing science does not a witty show make. I find out tedious and overwrought and cannot stand's not a character it is a caricature.

by Anonymousreply 24503/08/2013

I liked it briefly when it was new. Then everyone became even MORE of a caricature and Sheldon became the "star" and it lost all its luster. I quit watching it years ago and cannot even believe it is still on. I caught a few minutes of it the other one of the characters now married?

by Anonymousreply 24603/08/2013

The two comedies I watch consistently - "Big Bang Theory" and "Raising Hope".

by Anonymousreply 24803/08/2013

best show on television

by Anonymousreply 24903/08/2013

Amy Farrah Fowler gets on my nerves sometimes. But I like Bernadette.

by Anonymousreply 25003/08/2013

I'm not a big fan, but I have to say that the writing can be clever and smart. This is a show for smart folks and nerds, not lowest common denominator humor for Cletus and Buford.

I'm just not a fan of the Chuck Lorre comedies on the air now. Two and a Half Men wore out its welcome four and a half seasons ago.

by Anonymousreply 25103/08/2013

I used to watch it all the time, but, like all Chuck Lorre shows, the reliance on sexual humor just became overbearing. I think the last straw for me was Wolowitz's bachelor party where Bernadette had a fit because of his sleeping with prostitutes.

by Anonymousreply 25203/08/2013

[quote]It's lowest common denominator American tv,people

Wow, so not true. I think you're just not getting it. Sure some episodes are better than others but the writing can be very smart. Smarter than any other comedy on network TV.

by Anonymousreply 25303/08/2013

I'm friends with a physicist. She says that "they must have a real physicist on staff", and that all the scientific stuff is accurate.

Definitely one of the smarter shows on TV.

by Anonymousreply 25403/09/2013

This show went down the drain when Blossom came on.

by Anonymousreply 25503/09/2013

Amy Farrah Fowler was an excellent addition.

by Anonymousreply 25603/09/2013

I came to the show late but really love it now and have caught up on all the episodes from the previous seasons. Used to only watch it sporadically but now never miss it.

The only thing I must say I'm mildly disappointed by (but hardly surprised) is the fact they've now found Raj a potential new gf, only because I was sorta hoping against hope that they were actually going to be bold and explore an attraction between him and Stuart (the video store guy). I know they were only supposed to be friends, but there was just something kind of, I don't know, sexual about it in a way (or maybe I was just projecting). But in any case, now that the new gf is in the picture, it's obvious they never had any intention of going there (darn it).

Reminds me of the similar disappointment I felt years ago with the Chandler/Joey relationship on "Friends."

by Anonymousreply 25703/09/2013

I only watch Seinfeld reruns, ROE, and TBBT. HIMYM is the show that's not funny.

by Anonymousreply 25803/09/2013

Couldn't agree more. I love how any time I mention how much I hate the big bang theory people say the jokes are "beyond me" in a very condescending way. The jokes are actually very easy to understand and in addition incredibly predictible. Honestly I could have written an episode of it in 8th grade. The laugh track is incredibly obnoxious, and the nerd sterotypes established annoy the shit out of me. Everything about this show is pure shit and yet it has millions of viewers. Its beyond me, but then again if two and a half men is as popular as it is then I guess humanity is just collectively moronic.

by Anonymousreply 25904/01/2013

This is the new Friends in the UK with the number of times its on and in reruns.

I didn't expect to like it as I'm so not a generic sitcom guy, but it's actually decent. It's maybe not funny all the time, but all I care about is if it's watchable. There are plenty of sitcoms I can't watch. If it annoys me when it's on in the background it's out.

Compare this to that POS 2 Broke Girls and it's Richard Pryor. I suspect they sneak in jokes for the science graduates as well.

I kinda like that Blossom is in it, more aggressively fug than ever (no wonder she played the young Bette) and she's a real life supergeek.

I'm not keen on the fug from Roseanne. But this is totally the Jim Parsons Show, he has these long complex lines of dialogue which he always delivers brilliantly, so no wonder he won Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 26005/05/2013

i don't like it/get it either. Is it entertaining to make fun of a character w/Asperger's?

by Anonymousreply 26205/05/2013

Yes, r261. I'm sure that's it.

by Anonymousreply 26305/05/2013

Bob Newhart was brilliant on last week's episode!

by Anonymousreply 26405/06/2013

Bob Newhart was good but the subplot with Raj's dog and Bernadette's dressing him down which leads Howard to realize she'd be a great mom was sitcom 101 writing. Really by the books.

And why is Penny looking so raggedy?

by Anonymousreply 26505/06/2013

They're beginning to ruin this once cute show with stunt casting.

Why is it that every male lead on this show has been forced into some sort of relationship with a female, as if men can't function or survive beyond early adulthood unless there's a female in their lives?

It's just sexist, tiresome writing and casting and the ruining of a concept that was unique and fun and provided laughs. I realize they have to evolve the show somehow, but why this way?

I like Bob Newhart too, but they've already reported that he will be a recurring character. The Blossom chick (Amy Farafowler) is irritating enough, though I'll admit she's made me laugh sometimes, but they're quickly headed toward her and Sheldon having sex. WHY does the Sheldon character HAVE to have sex? Why isn't he allowed to be a sexless nerd or even *gasp* gay??

I get the impression people will stop watching in huge numbers soon and that the show will finally die within the next 2-3 seasons, if that long.

by Anonymousreply 26605/06/2013

[quote]They're beginning to ruin this once cute show with stunt casting.

This is what made "Will & Grace" get tiresome - all the "celebrity guest of the week" crap.

by Anonymousreply 26805/06/2013

True R267, for the most part, but if you follow some of the ratings sites, you'll see the BBT's ratings fluctuate more now than they did back two seasons ago, which may (or may not) indicate lagging viewer loyalty.

I still love the show and my boyfriend and I watch it, but it's taken a while for the Amy character to grow on me. I finally accept it now that she's not going away. But I DO wish they'll leave it there as far as growing the cast. But they likely won't.

The addition of Newhart only indicates they're losing steam in the writer's room and future episodes will likely continue to rely on this type of casting...

They couldn't expand the role of the geeky comic shop guy? People seem to love him. We don't need and likely few would want to see Raj continue to be oddly, stereotypically effeminized or Wallowhitz and Bernadette have a baby or Sheldon becoming sexual, but that's clearly where they intend to go from the looks of it.

by Anonymousreply 26905/06/2013

These stunt casting accusations are obviously being made by people who do not watch the show regularly. TBBT brings in these big name guests maybe two or three times a year, at most. It certainly does not happen every week like the recently cancelled 30 Rock used to do. The supporting roles on this show are almost always actors with either sci fi credentials or very low name recognition. Actual scientists appear more frequently than big name guest stars.

by Anonymousreply 27005/06/2013

R267 - they fluctuate, but have been pushing higher overall. When it moved to Thursdays last season, it's high water mark was a 4.8 in adults for the season premiere. That's around its season low this year.

CBS has a knack for creating these sitcoms that stay really popular for a long time, something which NBC and ABC haven't done in quite a while. Even Modern Family has taken a bit of a beating in the second half of this season.

by Anonymousreply 27105/06/2013

Sheldon Cooper, as a product of the Texas schools, has way too sophisticated a vocabulary. Most of the time he would be confused by eighth grade level words, genius or no, because they simply would never have been part of his education.

by Anonymousreply 27205/06/2013

[quote]I get the impression people will stop watching in huge numbers soon and that the show will finally die within the next 2-3 seasons, if that long.

Be serious, CBS just gave 3 and a Half Men another season, and even the cast needs a map to figure out wtf is happening there.

BBT has years to run.

by Anonymousreply 27305/06/2013

When are TV writers going to learn that as soon as everyone is paired up and happy, the show starts to suck. There is no comedy in marital bliss and harmony, or at least any that hasn't been mined a billion times before.

It happened with Moonlighting, it happened with The Office, it happened with Friends and its happening with TBBT.

One of the reasons Seinfeld kept its edge was no one ever got married.

by Anonymousreply 27405/06/2013

They may be "paired up" but they're hardly happy! Sheldon and Amy? Please! Howard and Bernadette, not hardly. Even Leonard and Penny don't really qualify. And that's one of the many reasons why the show still works.

by Anonymousreply 27505/07/2013

[quote]Bob Newhart was brilliant on last week's episode!

Agree, agree, agree. Bob Newhart's timing was great. His readings of the single word, "no" was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 27705/07/2013

Agree with R227. Plus, when Penny asked if they could use the potato for his pacemaker, I laughed out loud. This show, like any other, has to grow on you.

I am as far from being a science/math geek as anyone and don't get 1/2 those references but its still funny.

Loved the episode with the Leonard Nimoy figurines and the game competition. Sheldon explaining his drawing in pictionary was hysterical!

by Anonymousreply 27805/07/2013

The one with the Leonard Nimoy napkin was great too.

by Anonymousreply 27905/07/2013

The premiere is not funny

by Anonymousreply 28009/26/2013

Actually I thought the 2 episodes tonight were much better than most of last season.

by Anonymousreply 28109/26/2013

Saw the first half hour and was disapointed. What the heck was goin on with Kaley Cuoco's hair?

by Anonymousreply 28409/26/2013

I want to strangle Sheldon more than ever, but I still enjoy the show. Fair question: What sort of people would willingly put up with a "Sheldon" in their lives? His sense of entitlement really gets to me, I wouldn't have endured one of his "ME ME ME" tirades for very long. Do you think the makers of this show had any idea Sheldon would become the front runner character that it has? Wasn't TBBT supposed to be Galecki's show? They've got to "re-nerd" Amy.

by Anonymousreply 28509/27/2013

The one where they all go to the symposium was hilarious. Also any episode with Sheldon's mother

by Anonymousreply 28609/27/2013

I yearn for an episode with both Sheldon's mother and Leonard's - Laurie Metcalfe and Christine Baranski. How hilarious that would be.

I agree that the premise is becoming thin and each week seems to be circling to build up speed for the jump over the shark.

But, if the choice is Dad's or BBT, I'll go with BBT over most of the new shows this season - I mean did you see that awful Robin Williams show last night.

by Anonymousreply 28709/27/2013

this show is inexplicable unwatchable/unfunny--like all the other CBS comedies

by Anonymousreply 28809/27/2013

If the show is half as annoying as the commercials are, I'm glad I've never watched it.

by Anonymousreply 28909/27/2013

r289 is right - if you were (or are) nerdy and actually get all the Trek and other jokes, it's much funnier.

You either know the one about the red shirts or you don't. If you don't, it's just not that funny.

by Anonymousreply 29009/27/2013

I like the bbt, but last nights two bombs left me wondering why. I think the show has run out of gas. I found Sheldon annoying instead of humorous and leonard almost as annoying. Only the two slap stick guys, Raj and Wallowitz had a somewhat funny scene felling each other up.

by Anonymousreply 29209/27/2013

I've tried with this show--and I just can't get with it. And I like comic books!

by Anonymousreply 29309/27/2013

Watered down crap for the masses.

by Anonymousreply 29409/27/2013

LOL, R81, Which season is that episode from?

by Anonymousreply 29509/27/2013

Did you stick around for Two and a Half Men? That made Big Bang seem like The Algonquin Round Table.

by Anonymousreply 29609/27/2013

I totally agree with @292. I love TBBT, but last night wasn't funny.

by Anonymousreply 29709/27/2013

Sheldon's girlfriend, sucks the energy out of every scene she's in.

by Anonymousreply 29809/27/2013

TBBT has run its course.

by Anonymousreply 29909/27/2013

R292, same scene was done on Will and Grace years before

by Anonymousreply 30009/28/2013

I "get" all of the humor, I understand sitcoms and their premises and limitations, I'm not (to my understanding) some spurned nerd or a curmudgeon, but I really don't like this show. It has highlights, one or two per episode I've been able to watch in full, but they drown in unfunny slapstick and boring writing. The obnoxious laugh track only serves to punctuate every moment of the show that I was clearly *supposed* to find funny, but didn't. It's terrible.

by Anonymousreply 30109/28/2013

This show used to be funny.. before they added Amy, the most annoying character in history.

by Anonymousreply 30209/28/2013

R81, from which season is that clip you posted?

by Anonymousreply 30309/28/2013

[quote]The humor is too intelligent for most of the idiots on DL.

It's truly not, first of all, but BBT fans are constantly trotting this one out anyway. Nevermind that at the same time they claim the show's whole appeal is that it's science-themed but totally accessible for ordinary, stupid people.

by Anonymousreply 30509/28/2013

The women have completely changed the show, and not for the better. I'll admit I've grown to like Howard's wife, especially as transforms into a younger version of his Mother, but Amy is terrible.

The only character I really enjoy at this point is the guy who runs the comic book store.

by Anonymousreply 30809/28/2013

I love Amy! hat a great name: Fisher-Fowler.

by Anonymousreply 30909/28/2013

hat=What. I hate typing.

by Anonymousreply 31009/28/2013

Jim Parsons must be able to suck the skin off a dick when he gives head because all those emmys he has won makes that the real joke of this very boring show. It rates up there with the likes of Dukes of Hazard as extreme caricatures.

by Anonymousreply 31109/28/2013

It's Amy Farrah-Fowler, not Fisher-Fowler, though I'm surprised they turned down the opportunity for that joke.

The problem with Amy is that she's just the stereotypical bisexual character. Not that there are tons of them in entertainment, but when they are around they're always horny and inappropriate. They just made her a bisexual in nerd glasses and bad skirts.

by Anonymousreply 31209/28/2013

[quote] They just made her a bisexual in nerd glasses and bad skirts.

...and a tiara!

by Anonymousreply 31309/28/2013

r308 is right that women changed the show and not for the better. I just think they don't know how to write female characters. But I still watch and still care for the characters.

by Anonymousreply 31409/28/2013

I have loved the show, and that includes every actor and character. Some of the badinage has been among the best TV has ever offered, and often in contexts that are not hackneyed. Who could ask for anything more?

But after two episodes of the new season, I think it's time to pull the plug. They are now too old and too familiar, and obviously going through the motions of repeating plots and stuffing them with too-known character quirks and schtick. And the whole Amy (a great character) wanting more and more from Sheldon arc has both undermined her character and injected a creep factor, and Raj's issues are just wandering - the "relationship" last season with an anorexic agoraphobic was hideous.

This show, in other words, has now entered the self-parody phase. No thank you.

And Galecki now looks like the spawn of Zach Galifianakis and Jonah Hill. The real Penny would push him out the window. AND between his and Parsons' baldness issues, it's like watching the Joey Bishop Show.

Again, no thank you.

by Anonymousreply 31509/28/2013

My sister watches the marathon of this show every damn night. For three hours. I just don't get it. I mean, I "get" the show and its humor but it really isn't that damn funny. And I agree that the females ruined the show.

by Anonymousreply 31709/28/2013

Amy is not bisexual. She's straight but has a huge crush on Penny.

by Anonymousreply 31809/28/2013

It looked like they were going to pair off Raj and the comic book store owner awhile back.

by Anonymousreply 31909/30/2013

When will there be an episode when Penny catches Sheldon in bed with Superman?

Then I might actually watch.

by Anonymousreply 32009/30/2013

That's what I thought, too, R319. Very disappointing when they let Raj find a boring hetero relationship instead.

by Anonymousreply 32109/30/2013

I think it is funny, but the laugh track spoils it for me... I wish there was a mute button for laugh tracks.

by Anonymousreply 32410/03/2013

Jim Parsons is a little long in the tooth to play a guy in his early 30s...and Penny is a waste of screen time...but the show is reliably funny.

by Anonymousreply 32910/04/2013

R329, he does geeky so well.

by Anonymousreply 33110/04/2013

[quote]The humor is too intelligent for most of the idiots on DL.

Oh please. BBT is low-brow garbage for unsophisticated viewers who need a laugh track to tell them when there was a joke.

by Anonymousreply 33210/05/2013

R333 is a failure in life and he knows it.

by Anonymousreply 33410/05/2013

Oh please r330.

Fawlty Towers is so old school it's painful to watch and Father Ted is an embarrassment.

Anglophilia doesn't give you a sense of humor, clearly.

by Anonymousreply 33510/05/2013

I'm having trouble reconciling the idea that BBT is intelligent, high-brow humor, when their funniest joke is a couple of people singing along to "Sweet Caroline."

by Anonymousreply 33610/05/2013

[quote]I think it is funny, but the laugh track spoils it for me... I wish there was a mute button for laugh tracks.

I watched the entire CBS line-up on Thursday night, and I couldn't believe how loud and offensive the laugh track was on every show. Did they juice it up for the season premiers or is it always that bad, and I've just forgotten?

by Anonymousreply 33710/05/2013

I love the implication that Bernadette is transforming into Howard's mother.

by Anonymousreply 33810/05/2013

The original plot for the "Big Bang Theory" was very different and never aired on television. There was no Penny, Howard, or Raj. Shelton had a fetish for big butt women. You can read more about the original plot at the link below.

by Anonymousreply 34010/06/2013

Link to watch the unaired original plot.

by Anonymousreply 34110/06/2013

This show was ruined when they added Amy to the original cast. Sheldon was actually FUNNIER when he was single. I always thought he was asexual, and didn't really care about a romantic/sexual relationship. I feel like they paired him up with Amy JUST because she was added to the cast and it sorta fit. But it was dumb, and it ruined Sheldon imo. He just isn't as funny anymore as he was. Just my opinion!

by Anonymousreply 34210/06/2013

I love Amy. And I love "Sh-Amy". Mayim, who is likely an oddball in real life, is perfect in the role.

Nothing against Kaley Cuoco, but I wonder if the Hair and Make up people dislike her because they seem to truly make her as unattractive as possible in this show. She will never be a classic beauty but in the first season, she was cute and bouncy in a way that made it believable that the uber-geeks would fall for her. But now, they have downplayed her looks, and it is no longer improbable that "a Leonard" type guy could end up with her.

I don't mind her character and I love that she doesn't take much shit from Sheldon, and they have good chemistry, but I really think she is made to be far less attractive than she actually is.

by Anonymousreply 34310/06/2013

Wow, thanks for that link to the original pilot, R341. I guess I don't have a future in network television, because I would have passed on it after 3 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 34410/06/2013

I think the girl who plays Bernadette is actually far more attractive than Kaley. Great set of knockers too.

by Anonymousreply 34510/06/2013

Amy is annoying as heck and ruined the show. I hope they kill her off.

by Anonymousreply 34610/06/2013

[quote]Father Ted, Fawlty Towers

Both are extremely painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 34710/06/2013

If you recall, Amy Farrah Fowler was added specifically as a love interest for Sheldon, in a two part episode (a season finale i believe) where Howard and raj create an online profile for Sheldon which ultimately pairs him with AFF. I also believe that this was originally designed as a guest role, which developed into a regular gig.

by Anonymousreply 34810/06/2013

To each his own, I still love Amy. I think she is a hoot. Her crush on Penny is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 34910/06/2013

I always get annoyed and uncomfortable every time she talks about her crush on Penny. I cannot stand it.

by Anonymousreply 35010/06/2013

Agree completely, R342, and R346.

Sheldon IS asexual. He has no interest in Amy in THAT way.

No, Amy's crush on Penny is creepy and weird.

by Anonymousreply 35110/06/2013

Amy is one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 35210/06/2013

They're not going to end this show until Amy and Sheldon have screwed; that much is obvious.

by Anonymousreply 35310/06/2013

Thank you, R351. Glad to see someone else agreeing with me. Yes, it's creepy and weird, and it makes me uncomfortable to watch. I don't have any issue with all the other inappropriate jokes on the show, but I just never took a liking to Amy. She's annoying, not funny, too weird and just creepy.

by Anonymousreply 35410/06/2013

Amy has grown on me.

by Anonymousreply 35510/06/2013

Amy is best when she's calling Sheldon on his shit. When he says things like "the relationship agreement isn't supposed to benefit anyone all the time" (or something like that) and she says, "You use it to get your way all the time" (or something like that).

On a different matter, do we know where Sheldon got his PhD from? For both Sheldon and Howard (who doesn't have a PhD) to be mocking Princeton is absurd.

by Anonymousreply 35610/06/2013

Why have dumb people who seem to like this unfunny, faux-intelligent show taken over this thread?

by Anonymousreply 35710/06/2013

I think Amy's character is very funny as is her relationship with Sheldon.

It's her obsession with Penny that gets old.

But I love the tiara scene.

by Anonymousreply 35910/06/2013

A big part of my problem is that I've read enough really odd things about Mayim Bialik that I have trouble seeing her as a character, because by all accounts she's nuttier than any character on the show.

I forget the details, but something about her style of breast feeding and letting the kid run around free range without diapers makes me think that she's completely insane in real life.

I could do without all the girlfriends, but if we need to keep one my vote is for Bernadette. I didn't see the gag about her turning into his mother coming, and she's pretty funny doing it.

by Anonymousreply 36110/06/2013

If Penny had a last name, what would it be?

by Anonymousreply 36310/06/2013

r363 Lane?

by Anonymousreply 36410/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 36510/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 36610/06/2013

The show teases about the characters sexuality but will probably never go there. The closest they have come is the ersatz homosexual relationship between Raj and Howard. And that has been put to rest. I agree about Lucy. The irony with Raj is that he is the one who women find most attractive, even Sheldon's sister was going to give him a shot, and he can't take advantage of that. If they needed to give him a girlfriend then she could have and should have been as socially awkward as he is but also very attractive. And smart. I guess she can't be more attractive than Penny but she could certainly be as cute as Bernadette. Or they can just let him play the field. But saddling him with sad sack Lucy is the wrong way to go. And they should not consider Sheldon's assistant as a romantic prospect for him. She's homely and not terribly interesting. Lucy would be a good girlfriend for the comic book store owner.

by Anonymousreply 36710/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 36810/06/2013

[quote]The show teases about the characters sexuality but will probably never go there.

I think they need to let Sheldon come to realize he's gay and not just because Jim Parsons is gay in real life. Sheldon has clearly never had nor will EVER have any sexual interest in Amy (or any other woman), so wouldn't it just make sense?

I also feel a realization of this sort by Sheldon would make for great comedy on the show not only for him but for Amy, not to mention Mayim Bialik would probably have a blast playing those scenes when Amy would find out the REAL reason Sheldon does not want her (she could be both appalled and relieved at the same time).

by Anonymousreply 36910/06/2013

That actress who plays Penny is not very good. She could have really done something with that character and may have even have led to a spin-off. But she is so one note and obviously untrained. Wasted opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 37610/11/2013

I also think that the actress who plays Penny is not that good. She has lots of bad acting habits ( rolling her eyes, that thing she does with her mouth everytime she's trying to be ironic ). However, her best work is always with Sheldon. Not much chemistry with Leonard.

by Anonymousreply 37810/11/2013

Alls I can say is this seasons first few episodes have left me disappointed. I will watch the show to see if it manages to recapture my attention. I feel this program has simply run out of creative ideas. The development of each character has left me be annoyed instead of entertained. I know how each one is going to react. Each has become increasingly annoying. Sadly I think the show is doomed.

by Anonymousreply 37910/11/2013

R375, I dispute your idea that Sheldon is smarter than all of them combined. I'm waiting for the episode when they challenge his notion that he's going to get a Nobel Prize. He's on the fast track to nowhere in terms of his research. He talks a good game and only gets away with it because he knows how to intimidate people.

by Anonymousreply 38010/11/2013

" Little House of the Preposterous"

by Anonymousreply 38310/12/2013

When are they going to get Jennifer Aniston to play Kaley Cuoco's aunt? Penny is a homage to Rachael, right?

by Anonymousreply 38410/12/2013

I don't think Amy has mentioned her Penny crush lately (this season?) It seems she's on about it because of the shows now in syndication.

by Anonymousreply 38510/12/2013

R381, so cute. Where is the evidence that Sheldon is indeed on the Nobel prize track? No one else seems to think he's on the track toward the prize and last year Sheldon admitted that Barry Kripke's work was better than his.

Having been around academics, I know Sheldon shows all the signs of the Wonder Kid who's not as wonderful as he was supposed to be. Those academic types get pretty bitter. It's not that Sheldon isn't brilliant, just not as brilliant as he claims to be. I don't think Stephen Hawking, for example, is all that worried about being eclipsed.

And in a recent episode where Sheldon mocks Leonard's PhD from Princeton we do not hear where Sheldon has his PhD from. (Of course no one called Howard out for the fact that, while he has a degree from MIT, it's not a PhD, a fact that has been shared over and over since the series began.) Where did the wonderful Sheldon study? If he's going to mock Princeton, which is already overboard, he could have at least countered with the name of the place where he received his degree, perhaps East Texas Tech.

by Anonymousreply 38610/12/2013

Sarah Paulson should play Penny's aunt.

by Anonymousreply 38710/12/2013

That song was so adorable! Loved it.

That last, lame fantasy sequence really only showed what a severe lack of chemistry and sexual attraction exists between Sheldon and Amy.

Yuck. Talk about uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 39110/24/2013

This show is pretty bad. The laugh track is distracting

by Anonymousreply 39210/25/2013

r394 You're most welcome to MY share.

by Anonymousreply 39610/25/2013

r380 takes this show waaaaay too seriously. Wow. Just WOW.

by Anonymousreply 39710/25/2013

It's almost embarrassing what they are doing to Raj.

Seriously, just make him gay and be done with it.

Sheldon IS incredibly annoying. Still hating Amy.

by Anonymousreply 39911/08/2013

God, what a boring episode. Galeckis bod is crap.

by Anonymousreply 40011/16/2013

r394, r395 Fuck him to death, I'm tired of his schtick. I wanna' put my fist through the TV screen every time he opens up that twee' mouth of his.

by Anonymousreply 40111/16/2013

The leads all have trouble keeping weight down.

by Anonymousreply 40411/16/2013

I like the show.

by Anonymousreply 40511/16/2013

I was a fan of the show but it has gotten pretty bad. They should have never married howard off. The laugh track sucks. Johnny overacts and his whining is really distracting.

by Anonymousreply 40611/16/2013

Almost all comedies have laugh tracks.

by Anonymousreply 40711/16/2013

The DVD extras for season six show how this show is taking themselves a bit too seriously. In the extra where the various couples talk about the changes in this past season, Jim and Mayim go on and on about the lessons that Sheldon and Amy can teach people, about waiting to have sex, etc. I was like "it's two nerds and Amy will never have sex with Sheldon because he's an emotional cripple who gets less funny every year as the character gets older."

There's an occasional good episode but not as good as earlier seasons. And since Raj is not going to be gay - where did they get the idea that Raj was a heterosexual stud since they've been presenting him as a metrosexual fairy? - then it's really time to end it.

by Anonymousreply 40811/25/2013

[quote]Did you see them kissing each other (with tongue) via that contraption Howard had invented?

Finally saw this episode on DVD today. Not sure where the writters came up with this idea. Very bizarre.

I happen to love the show but i'm not sure why some posters refer to Amy as Blossom. I know that was her character from another show, but not sure why use it here?

by Anonymousreply 41012/25/2013

What mainstream sitcoms don't have canned laughter?

by Anonymousreply 41212/25/2013

The difference is, shows like ROSEANNE, GOLDEN GIRLS, and CHEERS used a live studio audience. They may have enhanced the laughter in post-production, but a lot of it sounded scattered and diverse. The laugh track on BIG BANG THEORY and THREE AND A HALF MEN all sounds the same and inorganic, like someone pressing the "laugh" button after every line and/or punchline.

by Anonymousreply 41412/25/2013

Correct R414. If you notice on TBBT, there is a burst of laughter then silence. Another burst, more silence. Live audiences offer real feedback, good or bad. The worst is a hit show that doesn't get laughs in the right places, or laughter that drags on and ruins the flow of the show. Having said that, TBBT sucks.

by Anonymousreply 41512/25/2013

Correction: it WAS funny until they added Amy. I haven't watched the show in years, and I'm not going to. Amy is the most unfunny, cringeworthy and annoying character to ever appear on tv. I literally cannot stand her. She ruined the show. I liked Sheldon better as single and asexual, his many awkward social interactions was what made the show. The writers desperate attempt to pair him up with Amy was pathetic. I'm just waiting for them to kill her off tbh.

by Anonymousreply 41712/25/2013

I can't believe how stupid R412 is.

And R416, of course it's taped in front of an audience. But the laugh track is still added on top of that.

I swear to Christ it seems like some of you were born yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 41812/25/2013

Will this television show be the Millennials' "I Love Lucy"?

It sure is awful, I must say.

by Anonymousreply 41912/25/2013

I've liked it but maybe it needs to end.

Dexter needed to end after season5 but it struggled through 8.

by Anonymousreply 42012/25/2013

Right there with you, R417.

Gotta make sure Sheldon isn't perceived as anything other than a hetero-genius.

Wonder why Parsons would go along with it.

Just make him asexual and be done with it.

by Anonymousreply 42112/25/2013

Have loved this show for years, but am disappointed with the current season. Same old jokes/schtick. Tonight's episode (a drunken Penny proposing to Leonard, who doesn't say yes) was way off. The whole season has been off. They are getting stale. Sheldon and Amy have got to go to some kind of new level; admit that Penny and Leonard are not as great a coupling as they want us to think; and they made a huge mistake not making Raj gay, which they have had several occasions to do. To keep up this fiction that comic book guys are all heterosexual and looking for the perfect girl is just wrong.

by Anonymousreply 42201/02/2014

you are right. i used to love the show. not anymore.

i hate the blossom chick. she is ugly as hell.

by Anonymousreply 42401/02/2014

It's a really mean spirited show. They try to act like it's a comedy about nerd culture, but all most all of the laughs come at the nerd characters' expense.

by Anonymousreply 42601/03/2014

It's OK, the unfunniest show is How I Met Your Mother, seriously unwatchable.

The Mindy Project is good, but thats mainly because Mindy Kaling is so talented.

by Anonymousreply 42701/03/2014

Just watched this past Thursday's new episode and why don't they just go ahead and hook up Raj and Stu? Yes, I'm serious. They're always pairing them up on mock "dates" (because neither can find a woman) and it's time the producers/writers stop being cowards and just make them a couple already.

by Anonymousreply 42801/05/2014

This show gets like 20 million viewers per episode. Holy cow. is it any good?

by Anonymousreply 42901/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!