Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition ***CANCELLED***

Merry Christmas!

by Anonymousreply 3312/05/2012

THANK GOD - I LOATHE THAT SHOW - 21st Century answer to "Queen For a Day"

by Anonymousreply 112/16/2011

Thank goodness. I remember when it first started, they actually showed a lot of the construction process, including modifications and additions to existing houses. It was pretty interesting, and more in line with the other home-improvement shows.

Then they stopped modifying houses, and just bulldozed every single one. They now have endless shopping montages, corny scenarios set up to appear comedic, Ty SCREAMING into the megaphone like a maniac, special celebrity guests who contribute nothing.

They don't even show the house getting built, there's maybe 2 minutes of construction footage.

by Anonymousreply 212/16/2011

Thought this show was still doing pretty well in the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 312/16/2011

I liked the original Extreme Makeover, where the took ugly people and allowed top plastic surgeons to fuck em up.

The network was sued, and so they resorted to Ty Pendleton.

by Anonymousreply 412/16/2011

I loved that show R4. Why were they sued?

by Anonymousreply 512/16/2011

Yes they were sued and then required everyone not to talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 612/16/2011

I loved the Extreme Makeover (not the HOME edition) and the Swan. I noticed they always put huge veneers on the women and wondered how after being home awhile if they kept their looks up.

by Anonymousreply 712/16/2011

thank heavens this show is history! No more of that fucking idiot Ty Pennington screaming!

by Anonymousreply 812/16/2011

OH MY!

by Anonymousreply 912/16/2011

I kinda sorta liked the show but it did get unbearably grating in the last few years. Basically if an episode came on I'd just wait until the last five minutes to see the before and after sum-up shots.

I didn't like how they'd focus on making themed bedrooms for each kid in the house based on his or her current interest. Like, sure the kid is 2 1/2 now and likes ballerinas or Tonka trucks but don't design an entire bedroom around that theme because in six months the kid is going to be like "crap, now I gotta sleep in a giant foam ballerina slipper bed for the next decade, wtf Ty?!"

by Anonymousreply 1012/16/2011

OOOOoooooohhhh ...ballerina slipper bed...no, when I was a little boy I would have loved the Cinderella Carriage bed....

by Anonymousreply 1112/16/2011

Go ahead and do me a favor, and take a look at my demo reel.

by Anonymousreply 1212/16/2011

I hate this show. It's one thing to build these families nice homes, but it's another to build them what are basically mini-mansions. The size of some of these houses are way over the top and the top-of-the-line furniture, appliances, and fixtures go waaaay overboard. It's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 1312/16/2011

I hope Ty invested well and didn't spend it all on booze and blow. He's pushing 50 hard.

by Anonymousreply 1412/16/2011

Ty will be taking over OLTL time-period as part of the cast on that new talk-show

by Anonymousreply 1512/16/2011

I hope he can still afford trips to Chicago's SteamWorks. Good times...

by Anonymousreply 1612/16/2011

do say, R16...

by Anonymousreply 1712/16/2011

Of course it was cancelled. The network execs need to free up more air time for real talents like Snooki and the Kardashians.

by Anonymousreply 1812/16/2011

How will Ty afford his methamphetamines?

by Anonymousreply 1912/16/2011

That gay guy Michael on the show looks good for late 40's, but as soon as he opens his mouth, the purses fall out by the hundreds.

Any info on him?

by Anonymousreply 2012/16/2011

R16 More info please.

by Anonymousreply 2112/16/2011

About 6-8 years ago there were reports in Chicago, and on DL, of Ty being seen at SteamWorks, drugged out of his mind, cruising in a towel.

by Anonymousreply 2212/17/2011

I blame this show for helping create this ridiculous obsession with 'open concept' living spaces. Makes no sense, especially if you're in a colder climate.

Early on the show was ok. I remember one of the first ones was a single (non-white) mom whose kids made remarks like 'people like us don't have things this nice'. very interesting commentary on class. Well that stopped pretty quickly. They started showing only married couples who usually mentioned god or jesus or being 'blessed' or had prominent crosses all over the place. If a spouse was missing they made it clear that it was for an 'acceptable' reason, like death or military service. It's clear that show was shaped by rightwingers.

by Anonymousreply 2312/17/2011

I think Ty is dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 2412/17/2011

I saw about 10 minutes of this show last night for the first time. It was awful. Ty Pennington sure looks older than 50.

by Anonymousreply 2512/17/2011

Isn't it true that followups to many of the families lives showed a great deal of them filing for bankrupcy or in dire economic straits?

Once the bulldozers and tractors left, the resulting improved houses with jacuzzis, solar heaters, and pools required a great deal of cash to maintain...

Can someone confirm this?

by Anonymousreply 2612/17/2011

The houses that were built in the early years of the show ended up being very expensive to maintain, especially the heating and cooling bills. In recent years they tried to address that issue by designing the houses to be greener, with geothermal heating/cooling systems, energy-efficient appliances and the like.

by Anonymousreply 2712/17/2011

The one show of this that I did like was the deaf parents with one child who was severely autistic. They created the open space so that the parents could see one another. The parents also wanted a smaller bed.

I'll admit I teared up a little.

by Anonymousreply 2812/17/2011

[quote]About 6-8 years ago there were reports in Chicago, and on DL, of Ty being seen at SteamWorks, drugged out of his mind, cruising in a towel.

Oh dear...

Well 6-8 years ago, he was actually still cute. Now he looks terrible from all that sun and hard living.

by Anonymousreply 2912/17/2011

Ty will be one of the hosts of The Revolution, which will air on ABC from 2-3 p.m., Eastern time.

Tim Gun will also be host.

by Anonymousreply 3012/18/2011

I also loved that show, R28. I especially remember the high school aged son who could hear and was pretty much serving as the family's link to the hearing world. The loccal college awarded him a scholarship so he could attend college, which he wouldn't have been able to afford; a nice moment.

by Anonymousreply 3112/18/2011

hi ty my name is sandy i just dont understand why the show is cancelled know for sure i enjoyed every show i saw. You and your team bought a lot of happiness and joy to many families lives i thank you for that. I had come on line to ask u for a big favor if u ever come back in action put me first on your list.This is for one of my dear friend .please send any message at Godfathers1996@yahoo.com this means alot .thanks and god bless

Sandy

by Anonymousreply 3212/05/2012

[quote]The size of some of these houses are way over the top and the top-of-the-line furniture, appliances, and fixtures go waaaay overboard. It's ridiculous.

Indeed. One family in my hometown went into bankruptcy in part because they couldn't afford the property taxes on the new house!

[quote]I blame this show for helping create this ridiculous obsession with 'open concept' living spaces. Makes no sense, especially if you're in a colder climate.

First of all, open-plan living/dining/kitchen areas have been the norm in new construction for close to 20 years now and have nothing to do with this show. Second, it's not a "ridiculous obsession," but rather a reflection of how modern American families actually *live* Mom doesn't huddle up in the tiny galley kitchen preparing dinner while waiting for her man to get home these days. I'm sorry you live in some stuffy Upper East Side apartment and lack a complete understanding of sociological norms, but don't try to argue that it "makes no sense."

by Anonymousreply 3312/05/2012
Need more help? Click Here.